Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1082000 times)

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
Re: Corona Thread |OT| Please scream inside your heart
« Reply #10320 on: July 11, 2020, 11:43:29 PM »
the political crisis is making you lose your humanity. go to church

most of us on here come across as complete fucking psychopaths based on our posts.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #10321 on: July 11, 2020, 11:43:29 PM »
Can you expand on this?
this isn't a videogame where taking out "chuds" racks up justice points. oblivion blithely laughing off someone experiencing the most painful moments of their life as they fade away in a hospital bed is tasteless, churlish, and frankly disgusts me.
每天生气

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #10322 on: July 11, 2020, 11:45:02 PM »
laughing at some stubborn geriatric dying to own someone, somewhere, I swear I stuck it to someone real hard please praise me

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #10323 on: July 11, 2020, 11:45:12 PM »
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-apparently-relenting-bit-wearing-masks-says-they-make-him-look-like-the-lone-ranger/

From about a week and a half ago.

As shambolic as the white house is, glad someone figured that going to a veterans' hospital with no PPE would be a bad look.

well in that case, it makes these tweets all the more awkward then:

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1282086956915142656
Liberals are calling him presidential and giving him credit too, these are your mainstream "Left-leaning news outlet writers" all who are writing/have wrote for WaPo/CNN/NYT
https://twitter.com/AshleyRParker/status/1282085216773865473
https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1282103392186310656

Fauci was one of the first to say that asymptomatic spread was happening after reading a german report in early February. Yes, Dr. Fauci was wrong on some things, or mistakenly did not know what advice to give. The difference is that he is willing to correct himself and try to give sounder advice when able.

Here's a CNN article dated Feb. 3rd where Fauci said asymptomatic spread is happening.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/31/health/coronavirus-asymptomatic-spread-study/index.html

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #10324 on: July 11, 2020, 11:53:30 PM »
I've lost a lot of my compasion for these people dying. 

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #10326 on: July 12, 2020, 12:08:56 AM »
Can you expand on this?
this isn't a videogame where taking out "chuds" racks up justice points. oblivion blithely laughing off someone experiencing the most painful moments of their life as they fade away in a hospital bed is tasteless, churlish, and frankly disgusts me.

every time i hear someone talk about reaching out and showing compassion to a radical right wing fuckhead i'm reminded of a story where a guy brings home his newly-injured dog and places it in the yard. a bird with an injured wing walks right up to it and the man imagines this as some sort of act of solidarity. the dog then leans over and crunches up the bird in its mouth and eats it.

you can show compassion to whoever and good on you for doing it, but it's not going to change the fact that a lot of these people are fucking assholes who build and support this broken society we live in and will continue to be awful for the rest of their lives. seeing them die from their own hateful ideology is the closest we're gonna get to justice.
pcp

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #10327 on: July 12, 2020, 12:19:30 AM »
As someone who hasn't been able to crack a smile at the Darwin Awards for 15 to 20 years now, I'm on Team Sad as opposed to Team Schadenfreude.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #10328 on: July 12, 2020, 12:23:20 AM »
Can you expand on this?

The notion that you should value every human life and have empathy for every soul is naive and completely illegitimate. There is right and wrong in this world, and honoring and valuing people that genuinely don't give a fuck about huge swathes of people is idealism that's unproductive and weak.

Non mask wearers are the same people that are racist, bigoted, privileged, entitled, white bread motherfuckers that would advocate for taking away rights from people of color, gay and transsexual people, immigrants, native Americans, they want an idealized 1950's America to exist forever. White conservative melt heads have the ability to know right from wrong, they make choices, and it's a natural consequence if people cheer for these people to die miserably.

I already work in a corporate blackhole of misery and feeling more machine than human, I get paid 10.50 an hour to do manual labor, my insurance is shit, I'm a full time employee that works hard and every day is hard, hardest work I've done in my life. I've also pointed out I'm a type 1 diabetic. The amount of stress each day is enough to make me feel depressed for days.

There is a chance that I may catch this and die, I'll die for 10.50 an hour, I'll die doing a job to serve ungrateful pig customers, I'll die for something that I don't fucking deserve goddamnit.

Guess who these non mask wearers, hoax believers support, guess what idealogy they support openly with their whole heart?

You talk about people losing humanity, as if it doesn't happen due to experiences and perspective. If people are losing humanity, it's due to arrogant and delusional and selfish people that endorse hate.

Conservative people dying is at the absolute bottom of my list of shit to care about. Dog shit has more importance than those sacks of hateful people. The group of people I hate aren't gays, blacks, latinos, women, or the sick and disabled, it's conservatives.

OH!

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #10329 on: July 12, 2020, 12:31:50 AM »
I'm a middle aged fuck who's sad and angry that this country has continuously moved hard to the right and will likely keep going that way for the foreseeable future. I'm bitter, and tired of seeing shitheads win.
pcp

shosta

« Reply #10330 on: July 12, 2020, 12:33:19 AM »
Alexis... show me the worst possible basis for a system of human ethics

The notion that you should value every human life and have empathy for every soul is naive and completely illegitimate.
每天生气

mormapope

« Reply #10331 on: July 12, 2020, 12:42:47 AM »
Alexis... show me the worst possible basis for a system of human ethics

The notion that you should value every human life and have empathy for every soul is naive and completely illegitimate.

Your perspective on ethics is based around very soft and lovey dovey principles that only exist because you were born in the late 20th century/21st century.

I can guarantee you, there are many people that don't give a single fuck about your existence. You giving a fuck about theirs is a feel good idea for yourself. How do you practice "all lives are sacred"? Do you light candles? Say prayers?

Oh right, you preach and bemoan others on the internet for lacking humanity, while not doing ANYTHING to express your own abundance of it.
OH!

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #10332 on: July 12, 2020, 12:44:56 AM »
let's not forget that last year a lot of these same people were arguing that we should all be ok with living in a society where we experience daily mass shootings

they've created a hellhole society that's beyond even the most absurd satire and forced us all to live in it; excuse me for not shedding a tear when they get swallowed up in the violence too.
pcp

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #10333 on: July 12, 2020, 12:45:04 AM »
Shosta tripling down on defending Hitler I see. Might as well change your tag to all lives matter
:O

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #10334 on: July 12, 2020, 12:49:22 AM »
I'd say like 95% of the time you act nice to an asshole, you end up regretting it later on as they immediately go do a belly flop on to some other stupid, selfish decisions while always calling themselves a victim/hero of their stories.

Just do what airlines do and send them to fuck off anywhere else. If you want to look like you're being nice, just force them to do online orders (no store pickup) for life.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #10335 on: July 12, 2020, 12:53:37 AM »
I agree, if enough people I dislike die, utopia is on the horizon. I can feel it.

Tripon

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #10337 on: July 12, 2020, 01:09:05 AM »
not to speak for shosta but someone being responsible for material harm, whether out of ignorance, callousness or even deliberate malice, isn't near enough for me to say they deserve to be killed

but also people are emotionally exhausted for pretty obvious reasons and are blowing off steam; nobody's actually acting on the supposed principle here (ie oblivion's not hacking up mask truthers with a machete), we're all just shitposting into the void

mormapope

« Reply #10338 on: July 12, 2020, 01:18:21 AM »
not to speak for shosta but someone being responsible for material harm, whether out of ignorance, callousness or even deliberate malice, isn't near enough for me to say they deserve to be killed

but also people are emotionally exhausted for pretty obvious reasons and are blowing off steam; nobody's actually acting on the supposed principle here (ie oblivion's not hacking up mask truthers with a machete), we're all just shitposting into the void

There's also a point to be made about people being pushed to a breaking point, and when that happens, you can expect empathy and sympathy to dwindle for many reasons.

Self awareness and recognizing unhealthy rhetoric can only do so much. It's similar to someone with depression or a different mental illness being aware they they're suffering from that. That level of self awareness doesn't make the pain or torment go away.

It's also a matter of perspective. I can tell you morale for grocery store workers is at the deepest bottom possible for many people.
OH!

Oblivion

« Reply #10339 on: July 12, 2020, 01:24:13 AM »
Can you expand on this?

shosta, it sounds like you're unironically doing the 'so much for the tolerant Left :smug " thing

the guy that i was mocking made an intentional decision to put both his life, the life of his family, and countless others in danger. he could have (and probably has) infected multiple people who are either going to die, or have long term consequences. he decided to be irresponsible, and he did so of his own volition. and all of this was solely because he wanted to own the libs. my sympathy ends the moment someone willfully decides to harm people to make some incredibly stupid political point.

and it's not like i laugh at anyone dying in an ironic way. there was a story a couple of years ago. NYC made a law that made it illegal to ride a motorcycle without a helmet. as you can imagine, many people, specifically libertarians, took issue with this. one such libertarian fellow decided that he was going to defy the law and rode his bike without a helmet. turns out he gets into a fatal accident and dies. the autopsy report stated that if he worn his helmet, he would have more than likely survived.

lots of people laughed at the story, but believe it or not, i wasn't one of them. yeah, there was great irony involved, and people may chuckle at that, without really endorsing the idea that this guy should have died. but it just made me feel pretty sad to see someone just completely throw their life away for such an asinine reason like that. and unlike the trumpkin i posted earlier, the only victim here was the biker himself. it's fucked up, but him not riding with a helmet wouldn't have had any bearing on anyone else.

is there a part of me that's sad that the trumpkin died? well...sure, but only as much as i have for pretty much anyone who was an awful person that may have died, in that, yes it would have been nice if the events in their life led them down a different path instead. but while it may have been better for humanity if that art school accepted hitler, that's not the world we live in, and i don't feel bad making fun of him.

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #10340 on: July 12, 2020, 02:07:05 AM »
the political crisis is making you lose your humanity. go to church

Going to church is a big reason why this is still going, you little shit.
Margs

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #10342 on: July 12, 2020, 11:35:38 AM »
Holy fuck Florida is +15,300 today.  15.5% positive rate. 

G The Resurrected

« Reply #10343 on: July 12, 2020, 11:41:34 AM »
JFC....

But we can't lockdown again....

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10344 on: July 12, 2020, 12:43:45 PM »
No let's reopen Disney World instead :killme
🤴

shosta

« Reply #10345 on: July 12, 2020, 01:08:59 PM »
The Florida numbers :dead :dead :dead
每天生气

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #10346 on: July 12, 2020, 01:13:15 PM »
Turn Florida blue, amirite, Oblivion?

james

« Reply #10347 on: July 12, 2020, 01:22:21 PM »
I said god damn at the 15k number

Anyone have the tweet the right was circulating in May comparing ny to Florida and Texas and declaring a Supreme victory. I think even a governor shared it

shosta

« Reply #10348 on: July 12, 2020, 01:30:23 PM »
Can't remember that but I remember people speculating that Florida was warmer so Florida wouldn't have as big an outbreak as New York. Pretty spectacular fail.
每天生气

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #10349 on: July 12, 2020, 01:49:42 PM »
I'm honestly surprised at the 15k number, didn't think that would happen so soon.  If Texas and Cali also see even moderate increases then there might be a 90K peak next week. 

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10350 on: July 12, 2020, 01:55:14 PM »
That's how this pandemic works, it's all about the multiplier.
It could go up rapidly if no one does anything. Your 90k number would be conservative.

At this point those states are already on that rollercoaster up.
🤴

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #10351 on: July 12, 2020, 01:57:42 PM »
I expected that Florida (and elsewhere that just dragged their feet) would surge earlier and closer to the infection peaks in New York or New Jersey. I don't know if that was justified and there is a lot of variables that could account for that (lower density*, benefiting from other states more restrictive measures, testing capacity lagging) but I suspect that's why a lot of pundits are being caught off guard.

I guess a week from now fatalities will start increasing too.

* I checked and Florida is fairly high in population density so maybe not.
ὕβρις

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10352 on: July 12, 2020, 02:02:40 PM »
From what I gathered is that quite a few people 'escaped' New York to other places where the virus wasn't as active and most likely brought it with them.
Of course you also had law enforcement moving around to deal with the protests, businesses flights, tourists, Trump events/rallies etc. .

I just remembered there were also a few local elections  :notlikethis

https://twitter.com/LizSly/status/1282375925837860864

:yeshrug
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 02:11:29 PM by Nintex »
🤴

shosta

« Reply #10353 on: July 12, 2020, 02:13:02 PM »
He's not fit for the office. If the public has the same views as him then it doesn't matter which particular idiot is in office. And if the public doesn't then the most you can say is Florida deserves rapid recalls and snap elections.
每天生气

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #10354 on: July 12, 2020, 02:22:16 PM »
Does Rob DeSantis deserve to die of COVID :hitler

Where’s your humanity?  :brazilcry
Margs

Tripon

« Reply #10355 on: July 12, 2020, 02:57:20 PM »
Pretty clear at this point, De Santis isn't fit to lead Florida's response to this. I remember reading that if you only close schools, it'll only be a reduction of 2% in terms of COVID cases. Well, we're going to see if restarting them again keeps that number at 2% or not in about a month.

james

shosta

« Reply #10357 on: July 12, 2020, 03:52:29 PM »
California and New York both have balanced budgets so I don't know what they're talking about
每天生气

james

« Reply #10358 on: July 12, 2020, 03:56:22 PM »
California and New York both have balanced budgets so I don't know what they're talking about

That's your takeaway

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #10360 on: July 12, 2020, 04:10:03 PM »
Does Rob DeSantis deserve to die of COVID :hitler

Where’s your humanity?  :brazilcry

Forgot it at the beach. :/
ὕβρις

shosta

« Reply #10361 on: July 12, 2020, 04:50:52 PM »
He's not dumb, he's a sociopath.

He literally fired the lead COVID data analyst because she was giving numbers that were leading to disagreeable post-press conference questions by journalists.
Which is a criminal and illegal act by the way.
每天生气

Tripon

james

« Reply #10363 on: July 12, 2020, 05:08:24 PM »
BAN CHILDREN

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #10364 on: July 12, 2020, 05:25:04 PM »
getting into corona "skeptic" twitter and making myself upset today

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10365 on: July 12, 2020, 05:35:54 PM »
Seems like even Fox News is done with this shit

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1282332504922435585

🤴

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10366 on: July 12, 2020, 05:53:30 PM »
dog

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #10367 on: July 12, 2020, 05:56:56 PM »
went to the big city park and it was packed with loads of people with no masks. i should be over it by now but it still made me unreasonably pissed off, to the point where I'm still in a bad mood hours later and I'm not even fully sure why. i think I'm starting to crack a little after staying in the house for so long.
pcp

Tripon

« Reply #10368 on: July 12, 2020, 06:16:57 PM »
Scott Gottlieb, former FDA head said on Face the Nation that the southern states (Arizona, Texas, California, Florida, etc) is more like Brazil vs. Italy. AKA, this is going to plateau at a high number of cases instead of a spike and a low drop.  :(

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #10369 on: July 12, 2020, 06:17:12 PM »
went to the big city park and it was packed with loads of people with no masks. i should be over it by now but it still made me unreasonably pissed off, to the point where I'm still in a bad mood hours later and I'm not even fully sure why. i think I'm starting to crack a little after staying in the house for so long.

seems fair breh, i would be so mad if i was in the states rn. it's frustrating as hell to watch from afar. fucking sad watching a country you love getting so royally fucked by mismanagement.
◕‿◕

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #10370 on: July 12, 2020, 06:25:33 PM »
I don't think wearing no masks in an open air park is too bad provided people space out sensibly and groups are kept to small sizes. With the situation in large parts of the US being so bad, I can see why you'd think it should lean on the more cautious side of things.
ὕβρις

Oblivion

« Reply #10371 on: July 12, 2020, 06:34:54 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10372 on: July 12, 2020, 06:38:21 PM »
It's all very strange. Europe opened up again and despite a few hot spots like meat processing plants there wasn't a huge spike in cases.
Now sure, there are some measures in effect but social distancing is still sort of a 'best effort' thing and masks aren't mandatory in most countries.
Borders have also opened, so there's tourists moving from and to different countries as well.

In some cities and states the US actually has more measures in place. Schools are still closed for example and masks are used in stores.
So either these states wholesale ignored every measure, including social distancing and washing hands or there's something else going on.
In Europe we're focusing research more and more on poor ventilation combined with air conditioning as a major cause for super spreading events.
🤴

james

« Reply #10373 on: July 12, 2020, 06:47:30 PM »
Guess the state

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #10374 on: July 12, 2020, 06:52:09 PM »
North Dakota

Mandark

• Icon

shosta

« Reply #10376 on: July 12, 2020, 07:43:24 PM »
Stephen Smith was right!
每天生气

Himu

« Reply #10377 on: July 12, 2020, 08:29:41 PM »
Guess the state

(Image removed from quote.)

why don't you stop being a bad poster and just tell us the state? Thankfully the url revealed it.
IYKYK

james

« Reply #10378 on: July 12, 2020, 08:31:29 PM »
Guess the state

why don't you stop being a bad poster and just tell us the state? Thankfully the url revealed it.

We're here to have fun you uptight asswad

Speaking of fun, here's today's Sunday number!

+58,290

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #10379 on: July 12, 2020, 08:39:38 PM »
Texas is still 2k short I think so it should be over 60k.