Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1081778 times)

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
Re: Corona Thread |OT| Please scream inside your heart
« Reply #10440 on: July 13, 2020, 03:12:56 PM »
2 weeks ago: "We're good lads, let's reopen pubs. Just be reasonable, a'ight?"

Today: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53388444

:dizzy

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10441 on: July 13, 2020, 03:16:38 PM »
Will Newsom make a nice poster like Cuomo?
🤴

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #10442 on: July 13, 2020, 03:37:35 PM »
The reason why Cuomo is acting insane because he's a media addict that needs cameras on him.

The opposite is actually true for Newsom. While he loves his time in front of the cameras, what he really wants to do is take a short break, but he's unable to do that because the state reopening efforts means the state is now on fire.

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #10445 on: July 13, 2020, 03:57:01 PM »
California Gov. Gavin Newsom ordered all dine-in restaurants, bars, movie theaters, museums and other indoor businesses across the state to close Monday as Covid-19 cases continue to climb.

Cali just ahead of the curve. Every state will eventually have to come back around.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #10446 on: July 13, 2020, 03:58:35 PM »
My wife got a long text message from her boss asking her to come into the office and work because "some people think it's unfair that she is the only one who gets to work at home."  So he's getting shit from a couple of people who are jealous that a pregnant woman, in her third trimester, is working from home.  The CDC has put pregnant women on the high-risk list, so my response when this was brought up was, as it has been for months now, "FUCK 'EM."  If they won't let her work from home any longer, they can fire her.  She's not going in, period.  I don't see her returning back to work in general after we have this kid anyway, because fuck day care during this crisis.

:obama Dope Ass Post right here. Major Respect to you AMAB-daddy. :batman :obama

Your jokes are bad or I don't understand if you're joking .

https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/prevention-cures/507046-i-thought-this-was-a-hoax-a-covid-party-guest
I thought this was fake, what's wrong with Americans :brazilcry

We're the same country that still has frat parties where people are encouraged to dress in racial stereotypes. There is no floor here.

Shosta is a doe-eyed Neolib. :shh He won't get that AmeriKKKa is irredeemably fucked and our last chance went with the DNC rigging AGAIN.

https://twitter.com/NumbersMuncher/status/1282672141394116610

BuT wE sHoUlD hAvE eMpAtHy FoR tHe DeAd!!!!!</shosta>
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 04:05:32 PM by thisismyusername »

Himu

« Reply #10447 on: July 13, 2020, 04:07:49 PM »
DNC rigged South Carolina? Lmao
IYKYK

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #10448 on: July 13, 2020, 04:10:11 PM »
每天生气

Flannel Boy

• Icon

G The Resurrected

« Reply #10451 on: July 13, 2020, 05:22:11 PM »
https://globalnews.ca/news/7170275/coronavirus-federal-wage-subsidy-program-extension-december/

Wow a real functioning government. Wasn't Canada in the midst of a financial recession to some degree in 18/19? You guys are doing this while US is fucking shit up so bad and doesn't have a plan in place for how to deal with any of this....

My state is starting to lockdown again. The governor can't even come out and admit to us that the lack of Federal response is failing us and forced us to reopen too soon. I wasn't joking when I said I'm thinking of asylum from the US.

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #10452 on: July 13, 2020, 05:41:35 PM »
I saw Meme I thought you guys might enjoy.

Panel one
Text : Karen during the day
Imagine : Karen screaming she can't breathe with a mask on her face

Panel two
Text : Karen at night
Image : Karen with a big old dick down her throat

:lol
:O

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #10453 on: July 13, 2020, 05:56:15 PM »
Shosta is a doe-eyed Neolib. :shh He won't get that AmeriKKKa is irredeemably fucked and our last chance went with the DNC rigging AGAIN.

BuT wE sHoUlD hAvE eMpAtHy FoR tHe DeAd!!!!!</shosta>

This is in no way a comment on or a response to the content of your post but you are a tremendous moron. You need to take serious action on this and at least attempt to read a book or even a newspaper or talk to a human before your brain completely melts into reddit soup.

TIMU posts are 50-50 headaches to read

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10454 on: July 13, 2020, 06:00:10 PM »
My wife got a long text message from her boss asking her to come into the office and work because "some people think it's unfair that she is the only one who gets to work at home."  So he's getting shit from a couple of people who are jealous that a pregnant woman, in her third trimester, is working from home.  The CDC has put pregnant women on the high-risk list, so my response when this was brought up was, as it has been for months now, "FUCK 'EM."  If they won't let her work from home any longer, they can fire her.  She's not going in, period.  I don't see her returning back to work in general after we have this kid anyway, because fuck day care during this crisis.

:obama Dope Ass Post right here. Major Respect to you AMAB-daddy. :batman :obama

Nothing but respect for my tyrant! :salute
dog

james

« Reply #10455 on: July 13, 2020, 06:05:40 PM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10456 on: July 13, 2020, 06:23:26 PM »

Your wife isn't on maternity leave yet?

Should start sometime in the middle to end of next month.

Her boss responded that she can work until the end of next week, then she'll get some kind of leave, if not the start of the maternity leave, early.  Good.
:obama
ど助平

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #10457 on: July 13, 2020, 06:37:10 PM »
I saw Meme I thought you guys might enjoy.

Panel one
Text : Karen during the day
Imagine : Karen screaming she can't breathe with a mask on her face

Panel two
Text : Karen at night
Image : Karen with a big old dick down her throat

:lol
:titus BBC gonna cure da covid :shaq

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #10458 on: July 13, 2020, 06:39:37 PM »
I need a remote office job so bad

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10459 on: July 13, 2020, 07:54:01 PM »
🤴

Tripon

« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 08:59:01 PM by Tripon »

Tripon

shosta

« Reply #10462 on: July 13, 2020, 10:29:28 PM »
Can you expand on this?

These vague notions that we're losing our humanity is getting boring.
Not trying to resurrect this fight again but I finally have a good answer for you. From Camus' The Plague:

Did our fellow-citizens, at least those who suffered the most from this separation, ever get used to the situation? It would not be quite correct to say that they did. Rather, they suffered a kind of spiritual and physical emaciation. At the start of the plague they remembered the person whom they had lost very well and they were sorry to be without them. But though they could clearly recall the face and the laugh of the loved one, and this or that day when, after the event, they realized they had been happy, they found it very hard to imagine what the other person might be doing at the moment when they recalled her or him, in places which were now so far away. In short, at that time they had memory but not enough imagination. At the second stage of the plague the memory also went. Not that they had forgotten the face, but (which comes to the same thing) it had lost its flesh and they could only see it inside themselves. And while in the early weeks they tended to complain at only having shadows to deal with where their loves were concerned, they realized later that these shadows could become still more fleshless, losing even the details of colour that memory kept of them. After this long period of separation, they could no longer imagine the intimacy that they had shared nor how a being had lived beside them, on whom at any moment they could place their hands.

From this point of view, they had entered into the very system of the plague which was all the more efficient for being mediocre. No one among us experienced any great feelings any more, but everyone had banal feelings. 'It's time it ended,' they said, because, in a period of pestilence, it is normal to wish for the end of collective suffering and because they really did want it to end. But the words were spoken without the anger or bitterness of the early days, and only with the few arguments that still remained clear to us, which were feeble ones. The great, fierce surge of feeling of the first weeks had given way to a dejection that it would be wrong to confuse with resignation, but which was despite that a kind of provisional assent.

The townspeople had adapted, they had come to heel, as people say, because that was all they could do. Naturally, they still had an attitude of misfortune and suffering, but they did not feel its sting. Dr Rieux, for one, considered that the misfortune lay precisely in this, and that the habit of despair was worse than despair itself. Previously, those separated had not really been unhappy, their suffering had a brightness that had just gone out. Now one could see them on the corner of the street, in cafes or with their friends, placid, their minds wandering and their eyes so bored that, thanks to them, the whole town seemed like a waiting-room. Those who had jobs did them at the pace of the plague, meticulously and prosaically. Everyone was simple and unpretentious. For the first time, those separated did not mind speaking about their absent ones, adopting the language of all and studying their separation just as they would study the statistics of the epidemic. While up to this point they had fiercely subtracted their suffering from the sum of collective misfortune, now they accepted it as part of the whole. Without memory and without hope, they settled into the present. In truth, everything became present for them. The truth must be told: the plague had taken away from all of them the power of love or even of friendship, for love demands some future, and for us there was only the here and now.
每天生气

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #10463 on: July 13, 2020, 10:39:07 PM »
honestly your posts look more and more like

pcp

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #10464 on: July 13, 2020, 10:47:56 PM »
A shitty strawman?

james

« Reply #10465 on: July 13, 2020, 11:29:24 PM »
Imagine quoting Camus in English

:picard

shosta

« Reply #10466 on: July 13, 2020, 11:38:06 PM »
I can't read french :stahp
每天生气

Oblivion

« Reply #10467 on: July 14, 2020, 12:34:58 AM »
Can you expand on this?

Not trying to resurrect this fight again but I finally have a good answer for you. From Camus' The Plague:

Did our fellow-citizens, at least those who suffered the most from this separation, ever get used to the situation? It would not be quite correct to say that they did. Rather, they suffered a kind of spiritual and physical emaciation. At the start of the plague they remembered the person whom they had lost very well and they were sorry to be without them. But though they could clearly recall the face and the laugh of the loved one, and this or that day when, after the event, they realized they had been happy, they found it very hard to imagine what the other person might be doing at the moment when they recalled her or him, in places which were now so far away. In short, at that time they had memory but not enough imagination. At the second stage of the plague the memory also went. Not that they had forgotten the face, but (which comes to the same thing) it had lost its flesh and they could only see it inside themselves. And while in the early weeks they tended to complain at only having shadows to deal with where their loves were concerned, they realized later that these shadows could become still more fleshless, losing even the details of colour that memory kept of them. After this long period of separation, they could no longer imagine the intimacy that they had shared nor how a being had lived beside them, on whom at any moment they could place their hands.

From this point of view, they had entered into the very system of the plague which was all the more efficient for being mediocre. No one among us experienced any great feelings any more, but everyone had banal feelings. 'It's time it ended,' they said, because, in a period of pestilence, it is normal to wish for the end of collective suffering and because they really did want it to end. But the words were spoken without the anger or bitterness of the early days, and only with the few arguments that still remained clear to us, which were feeble ones. The great, fierce surge of feeling of the first weeks had given way to a dejection that it would be wrong to confuse with resignation, but which was despite that a kind of provisional assent.

The townspeople had adapted, they had come to heel, as people say, because that was all they could do. Naturally, they still had an attitude of misfortune and suffering, but they did not feel its sting. Dr Rieux, for one, considered that the misfortune lay precisely in this, and that the habit of despair was worse than despair itself. Previously, those separated had not really been unhappy, their suffering had a brightness that had just gone out. Now one could see them on the corner of the street, in cafes or with their friends, placid, their minds wandering and their eyes so bored that, thanks to them, the whole town seemed like a waiting-room. Those who had jobs did them at the pace of the plague, meticulously and prosaically. Everyone was simple and unpretentious. For the first time, those separated did not mind speaking about their absent ones, adopting the language of all and studying their separation just as they would study the statistics of the epidemic. While up to this point they had fiercely subtracted their suffering from the sum of collective misfortune, now they accepted it as part of the whole. Without memory and without hope, they settled into the present. In truth, everything became present for them. The truth must be told: the plague had taken away from all of them the power of love or even of friendship, for love demands some future, and for us there was only the here and now.

bish, did you seriously just outsource your defense of personal ethics to a mid 20th century french existentialist?  :ufup

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #10468 on: July 14, 2020, 12:35:44 AM »

Her boss responded that she can work until the end of next week, then she'll get some kind of leave, if not the start of the maternity leave, early.  Good.

Beyond being human garbage asking a pregnant woman to come in he is also a loser that hides behind his worker opinions on this matter, or at least pretends to which is also weak. Can't even act like a boss, zero authority.

Oblivion

« Reply #10469 on: July 14, 2020, 12:54:51 AM »
okay, in addition to reading the passage shosta quoted, i went and read The Plague itself, and i don't see how exactly it applies to the current situation (minus the fact that both deal with a pandemic).

shosta

« Reply #10470 on: July 14, 2020, 01:11:56 AM »
okay, in addition to reading the passage shosta quoted, i went and read The Plague itself, and i don't see how exactly it applies to the current situation (minus the fact that both deal with a pandemic).
You read 320 pages in two hours?

I was mostly just quoting something I thought other people might appreciate since this is also a thread for musing about life under 'rona.
每天生气

Oblivion

« Reply #10471 on: July 14, 2020, 01:19:04 AM »
You read 320 pages in two hours?

no, i read the wiki page, OF COURSE  :doge

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10472 on: July 14, 2020, 05:11:36 AM »
🤴

Oblivion

« Reply #10473 on: July 14, 2020, 06:22:08 AM »
two more of my cousins got covid (one of them is a doctor)  :'(

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #10474 on: July 14, 2020, 06:44:47 AM »
Both kids tested negative yay

Time to go on some small trip and salvage the summer :)

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #10475 on: July 14, 2020, 06:55:14 AM »
Caa caa poo poo
Margs

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10476 on: July 14, 2020, 06:57:18 AM »

Beyond being human garbage asking a pregnant woman to come in he is also a loser that hides behind his worker opinions on this matter, or at least pretends to which is also weak. Can't even act like a boss, zero authority.

I'm not going to give him any shit-  he has been letting her work at home despite his bosses saying nobody is allowed to do this.  It's an open secret of sorts there that this is going on.  Others were also working remotely before, but now it's just my wife.  So the guy actually could get into trouble if someone were to report him. 
ど助平

Oblivion

« Reply #10477 on: July 14, 2020, 07:51:18 AM »
https://twitter.com/CBSLA/status/1282882046738812928

and here i thought OC learned its lesson after the midterms

Clockwork5

« Reply #10478 on: July 14, 2020, 08:59:24 AM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/tomaskenn/status/1282789040996130816

DeSantis getting a little dose of the truth.

T-Short

• hooker strangler
地平線

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10480 on: July 14, 2020, 10:40:11 AM »
As of today we have 3 patients in the ICU,
94 patients hospitalized (but not in the ICU)

534 new cases this week, about 100 more than last week.
🤴

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #10481 on: July 14, 2020, 10:49:31 AM »
175 new cases reported here today, just bringing us over 76k total.
9 deaths reported, bringing the total to 5545.
79 ICU patients, still trending downwards, albeit more slowly now.
地平線

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10482 on: July 14, 2020, 11:07:01 AM »
Three teachers in Arizona were sharing a classroom for two hours a day teaching online classes during the pandemic.

Despite following protocols -- social distancing, wearing masks and gloves, and using hand sanitizer -- they were all sickened by the coronavirus.

Kimberley Chavez Lopez Byrd, 61, died June 26, less than two weeks after she was hospitalized. She had worked for the Hayden Winkelman School District for 38 years.

But it's totally fine to open schools with no safety measures.
dog

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #10483 on: July 14, 2020, 11:08:33 AM »
Three teachers in Arizona were sharing a classroom for two hours a day teaching online classes during the pandemic.

Despite following protocols -- social distancing, wearing masks and gloves, and using hand sanitizer -- they were all sickened by the coronavirus.

Kimberley Chavez Lopez Byrd, 61, died June 26, less than two weeks after she was hospitalized. She had worked for the Hayden Winkelman School District for 38 years.

Courage and persistence role models. :salute
ὕβρις

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #10484 on: July 14, 2020, 11:12:10 AM »
"We have to open up schools! Other countries have opened up schools!"

"Other countries don't have 1.2% of the population currently infected."

"We have top open up schools!"

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #10485 on: July 14, 2020, 11:12:49 AM »
Florida: 9,194 new COVID-19 cases and a record 132 deaths (which I assume is not the real number).

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #10486 on: July 14, 2020, 11:16:17 AM »

Have to wonder how strict these people actually were.  No offense to them, but claiming they followed protocols is not something I just believe outright.   And I don't mean like, purposefully ignored them, but part of the problem with returning to work is for ~8 hours in a day it's really incredibly easy to slip up.

They were probably banging.
©@©™

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #10487 on: July 14, 2020, 11:26:41 AM »
Been having some chest pains, a bit flemmy, and some very slight shortness of breath... mostly when I'm laying down. While we're no longer a hotspot and people are all taking precautions, I am a bit of a hypochondriac so I made an appointment to get tested tonight.
^_^

Flannel Boy

• Icon

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10489 on: July 14, 2020, 11:35:08 AM »

Have to wonder how strict these people actually were.  No offense to them, but claiming they followed protocols is not something I just believe outright.   And I don't mean like, purposefully ignored them, but part of the problem with returning to work is for ~8 hours in a day it's really incredibly easy to slip up.

I mean, sure, there probably were some unconscious lapses, but that just shows how hard it is to follow safety measures when there actually are safety measures in place and with people willing to follow them.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 11:41:50 AM by Great Rumbler »
dog

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #10490 on: July 14, 2020, 11:41:00 AM »
and correct me if i'm wrong but i thought it's been stressed that being indoors is particularly dangerous because poor ventilation and air conditioning do a lot to spread the virus around
pcp

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #10491 on: July 14, 2020, 12:16:51 PM »
France is moving towards mandatory masks in enclosed public spaces. That was, on average, the norm but it's always a toss up (some supermarkets are pretty lax with it...).
ὕβρις

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #10492 on: July 14, 2020, 12:24:34 PM »
Can you expand on this?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #10493 on: July 14, 2020, 01:35:46 PM »
Email from uni

Now that our divisions have posted their course offerings for the fall, we have a clearer idea of ‘what September will look like’. While the situation will, of necessity, vary from one division or campus to another, and may continue to evolve, the aggregate picture is consistent with our earlier commitment to offer a rich mix of learning opportunities and formats, combining online and in-person modes of delivery.

More than 90 per cent of our undergraduate course offerings will feature online (synchronous or asynchronous) delivery. At the same time, many of these same courses will offer a significant in-person element – either through ‘dual delivery’ mode (in which students have the option of enrolling online or in-person), or through in-person courses, labs, tutorials or experiential learning placements. At this stage we can report that, overall, at least one-third of our undergraduate courses will have an in-person component. In some divisions, more than half of course offerings will include an in-person option.

We anticipate that a higher proportion of our graduate courses will be offered in person, owing to their generally smaller size, but aggregate information on this activity is still being collected.

Seems pretty good.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10494 on: July 14, 2020, 01:35:48 PM »
Someone at my wife's job just got sent home for having COVID-like symptoms.  Not confirmed if they have it, but it's just funny that this happens the day after that stuff with her boss trying to get her to come in. :doge
ど助平

BisMarckie

« Reply #10495 on: July 14, 2020, 01:36:50 PM »
:gurl

How much did you pay that guy to allow your wife to continue slacking off?  ::)

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #10496 on: July 14, 2020, 01:43:32 PM »
:gurl

How much did you pay that guy to allow your wife to continue slacking off?  ::)

About a dozen little girl anime figures.
Margs

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #10497 on: July 14, 2020, 02:04:54 PM »

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #10498 on: July 14, 2020, 02:16:00 PM »
Oklahoma record 993 new cases
Nevada record 1,104 new cases

james

« Reply #10499 on: July 14, 2020, 03:21:41 PM »
My lease ends August 31 and I dont know what to do.

Anyone looked into the Barbados thing?