Author Topic: What book(s) are you reading?  (Read 684943 times)

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
Re: What book(s) are you reading?
« Reply #540 on: January 18, 2010, 01:33:33 PM »
wow, that ending was thoroughly bizarre, not sure if i liked it, took a turn for the surreal out of nowhere
sup

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #541 on: January 18, 2010, 08:10:51 PM »
Read Game of Thrones and stop bitching

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #542 on: January 18, 2010, 08:19:55 PM »
tiny minds can't handle Malazan, this is true
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #543 on: January 18, 2010, 08:39:21 PM »
tiny minds can't handle Malazan, this is true
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #544 on: January 18, 2010, 08:45:24 PM »
cry away. just don't sit there with 8,000-plus posts on EB and tell me you don't have free time to spend on meaningless entertainment :lol
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #545 on: January 18, 2010, 08:59:46 PM »
Well, I warn everyone going in that it's a challenge, requires commitment to get the most out of it, and that it'll drive you nuts at times. At the risk of sounding overly pretentious, it's more akin to Gravity's Rainbow or The Infinite Jest than Riftwar. But if you are still reading Riftwar spin-offs, you are wasting your time in a far more egregious fashion. Generally, you seem to read interesting, challenging stuff so I'm a little surprised that you're giving up on Malazan.
vjj

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #546 on: January 20, 2010, 04:00:33 AM »
Just finished Darkly Dreaming Dexter; I enjoy the more inhuman Dexter the books show, and the ending is genuinely suspenseful, even if a little bit too pat.

I also enjoyed the book version of LaGuerta, and her character progression...
spoiler (click to show/hide)
inasmuch as the bitch dies
[close]
...so that's more enjoyable than the TV version. I'm interested to see where they take it. I read the wiki just enough to know different the books are, and the lessened presence/impact of the side characters is a selling point when contrasted to the lame side stories they've been given in the first two seasons of the TV show. The language in the books is light and breezy though the coincidences and some of the internal monologues seem unnecessarily trite.

Reading Kirino Natsuo's Out, which is so far proving unexciting.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #547 on: January 25, 2010, 04:25:02 PM »

Somebody recommended it on GAF and it's definitely one of the best books I've read in the last few years (I stick to non-fiction).  It gives a detailed portrait of the killers' minds and how the media misrepresented a lot of the stereotypes about their lives and cliches that are associated with school shooters.  There's also like no wasted chapters in this book, it constantly dissects things that you'd never know were important about the event like the early signs that Harris was a psycopath or how Klebold was suicidal.  I also loved how the author likes to jump back and forth in the timeline to give the dozens of different points of view on the shooting and on the lead-up and the aftermath.  Some parts of it are pretty fucked up to read through but I think this is the type of book every teenager needs to read.

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #548 on: January 25, 2010, 04:50:21 PM »
i'm reading some Terry Pratchett, having found one of his books at The Strand for half a dollar. 

Up next is Edmund Wilson's To The Finland Station which I'm picking up from the Library on my way home tonight

http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2003/03/24/030324crat_atlarge?currentPage=all
Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #549 on: January 27, 2010, 10:46:58 AM »
currently reading Edmund Wilson's To The Finland Station

not what i expected, but quite good anyway
Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #550 on: January 27, 2010, 11:23:18 AM »
I haven't hit on that part yet

it's talking about the historians who wrote about the french revolution and paris communes so far.  it's big on people but not on movements, so far

Tonya

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #551 on: January 27, 2010, 11:48:51 AM »
Anyone read All the Pretty Horses and would like to toss out an opinion? I got a paperback of all the pretty horses and the two following books. It's thick as hell so I've kinda put it off, but I really liked the road, so I might give it a twirl.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #552 on: January 28, 2010, 04:56:56 AM »
All the Pretty Horses? just read it.
vjj

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #553 on: January 28, 2010, 06:20:59 AM »
Uh, I've seen multiple posts from you saying how you haven't read Malazan and aren't interested. Your love of Martin is equally public. I'm not arguing with your taste, I'm just pointing out that you are unqualified to answer that question.

IN OTHER WORDS, FUCK U FANBOI

(i've read all the Song of Fire stuff too btw, but given a choice between that and Erikson...my god, it isn't even a serious discussion)

Fair enough.

btw, have you read Tigana?

Twice, actually. It's a bit Harlequin romance but there's just something about it.

Have you read any of Kay's other stuff? I usually recommend Tigana as a great standalone book, but I prefer his pseudo-historical books the most. The two Sarantine Mosaic is one of my favorite books ever.
___

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #554 on: January 28, 2010, 06:41:30 AM »
I read his first quadrilogy thing after Tigana (picked it up dirt cheap at a 2nd hand store) but didn't like it much at all. Cliche after cliche, plus he wasn't as good a writer then. I've heard good things about the Sarantine books but haven't checked them out yet. thanks for the reminder.
vjj

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #555 on: February 11, 2010, 09:30:28 PM »
Finished reading this short about a scenario where a highly communicable disease arises (that causes physical deformation and "supposedly" death), the government puts said people in camps to keep them away from the general population. Years go on and they develop their own society. Farther down the timeline is where the reader is dropped and sees everything through the eyes of an older woman who knew how life was before being placed in the camp. She has insight on how things are outside and inside, insight children born into the camp do not have. Its a wonderful way to keep the reader connected to the scenario through this woman.

It also deals with depression and its ability to cause us to become lethargic and choose not to act when action is called for. It was a great read and I sort of welled up a bit at the final statement.

Its called "Inertia" by Nancy Krees for those interested (its part of the Wasteland Stories compilation)
:9

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #556 on: February 11, 2010, 11:10:03 PM »
i am reading The White Lioness, the third book in the Wallander series

mmmm, social concern novel masked as detective fiction
Tonya

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #557 on: February 12, 2010, 12:52:03 AM »
I have not been reading anything.   :greenshinobi

etiolate

« Reply #558 on: February 12, 2010, 12:58:23 AM »

May finish off the first one later.

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #559 on: February 13, 2010, 09:56:06 AM »

I finished the Painter of Battles earlier this week. A really unique book, unlike anything else that I've read. Art history plays a huge role in the book, and the author describes paintings in such vivid detail that it becomes a central character in itself. The ending threw me for a bit of a loop....

I did think to myself, after Falques was thinking to himself that he would rather Olvido not make it out of their last trip alive than leave him and after the tour guide called his painting/castle evil, that Falques had something to do with how she died. I am glad that the author did not make him a killer, even though he was guilty of not warning her, it was within his overall philosophy of geometric universalism.
[close]

Thanks to Cohen for recommending this  :-*
jon

Green Shinobi

« Reply #560 on: February 13, 2010, 10:06:19 AM »
I have not been reading anything.   :greenshinobi

Why would you use my emoticon for that? I was a lit major. It makes no sense!

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #561 on: February 13, 2010, 02:20:41 PM »
Yeah :lol I can't really blast through short stories, its like, I have to let a short sit with me for a day or two then I move on. Its sort of stalled me on reading in general, I should get a novel to read in between shorts or something. But I'm almost done with the compilation. I just finished reading another short though, which was nearly as good as the last. Very desolate and eerie (which I love), also had a nice take on motorcycle travel. It was by Elizabeth Bear and title "The Deep Blue Sea".
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 02:23:02 PM by BlueTsunami »

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #562 on: February 13, 2010, 03:53:38 PM »
I might have to check that book out, Kestastrophe. Cohen gave me another book of his and I really enjoyed it.

And I fucking rip through short stories. I think I read them faster than anything else. They're like boxes of cookies.
AMC

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #563 on: February 15, 2010, 02:35:59 AM »
Finished Eli the Good by Silas House and decided to re-read:

WTF

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #564 on: February 15, 2010, 07:01:59 PM »
yeah I forgot like half the names of everybody mentioned.  But there's probably only a dozen people that are actually important so it wasn't too big a deal.  The book did have a huge notes section in the back that summarized the sources a little more logically too.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #565 on: February 16, 2010, 10:15:48 AM »
Been reading a bit of this every night before bed. I'm about 1/3 of the way through.

^_^

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #566 on: February 16, 2010, 10:53:49 AM »

It's a bit light for my tastes.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #567 on: February 19, 2010, 11:00:50 AM »
Yeah :lol I can't really blast through short stories, its like, I have to let a short sit with me for a day or two then I move on. Its sort of stalled me on reading in general, I should get a novel to read in between shorts or something. But I'm almost done with the compilation. I just finished reading another short though, which was nearly as good as the last. Very desolate and eerie (which I love), also had a nice take on motorcycle travel. It was by Elizabeth Bear and title "The Deep Blue Sea".

Pretty sure I've read and enjoyed other Elizabeth Bear, and I've been meaning to pick up that compilation anyway. Someone recently (yesterday) asked why I like post-apocalyptic stuff. I could only guess that it has something to do with growing up in the Reagan presidency, during which it seemed like nuclear could happen almost casually.

I'm still reading Natsuo Kirino's "Out" but it's a paper book and I keep finding reasons not to carry a bookbag. So I'm also reading an e-book edition of "JUMPER" which so far appears to be a very good YA book with reasonable adult appeal (less maudlin than the first Harry Potter, at least) which was turned into a movie that shouldn't appeal to anyone (much like the first Harry Potter). The writing is simple and believable; the kid has pretty realistic reactions, though his dialog is sometimes stilted. The main character states that he reads a lot, which may explain his social awkwardness.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #568 on: February 19, 2010, 11:14:32 AM »
Been reading a bit of this every night before bed. I'm about 1/3 of the way through.

(Image removed from quote.)

love this book but it makes me so angry.

the bits about the subway drainers was really fascinating to me.  i love reading about huge public engineering works like that.

i'm reading the 3rd Wallander book, The White Lioness, which deals with post Apartheid south africa and a plot by some Afrikaners to kill Mandella.
Tonya

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #569 on: February 19, 2010, 12:15:47 PM »
Just read L.A. Confidential by James Ellroy.  Was surprised how much was cut from the film (entire characters and subplots, and the novel takes place over the course of about 8 years).  Liked Ellroy's jump-rhythm writing style, but he carries on too long sometimes.  Probably should have started at the beginning of his "LA Quartet" series of novels, as several characters make recurring appearances across.  In the middle of Crime Wave, his collection of nonfiction and short stories.  Not digging that quite as much, but there are some highlights like Frank Sinatra being forced to take acid and ending up thinking he's Jesus.
sup

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #570 on: February 19, 2010, 12:17:26 PM »
i just tried to read American Tabloid and hated it.  Didn't get more than 100 pages in
Tonya

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #571 on: February 19, 2010, 12:20:47 PM »
I'll probably skip his "Underworld USA" trilogy, seems like he might be reaching a bit too far there.  I can buy 1950s actors and actresses participating in depraved shit, but that series seems to be a giant conspiracy theory from what I've read about it.
sup

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #572 on: February 19, 2010, 12:23:25 PM »
Is the World without Us a novel or pure information/speculation?

it's non fiction which does kind of two things.  it's 1) what would happen to the world if all humanity vanished.  it talks about rural and city areas being reclaimed by nature and 2) it talks a bit about the current enviromental changes which we cause to the earth.

the first part takes precedence and the book never really devolves into a preachy screed, but the second part is definitely there.
Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #573 on: February 19, 2010, 12:24:37 PM »
I'll probably skip his "Underworld USA" trilogy, seems like he might be reaching a bit too far there.  I can buy 1950s actors and actresses participating in depraved shit, but that series seems to be a giant conspiracy theory from what I've read about it.

i think the ultimate intent was to show how these people were all horrible depraved psychopaths and how their petty bickering set the country on its current course more through collusion, i think than any concentrated joint effort

but again, i got like 100 pages in and said "fuck this book"
Tonya

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #574 on: February 19, 2010, 12:33:32 PM »
I read L.A. Confidential first (after seeing the movie, of course), and it's fine to do it in that order.  Most of the continuity is almost fanservice.  You get a kick out of recognizing characters from the earlier books, but it's not essential for understanding the plot.

I read an interview with Ellroy where he said the sentence fragments were more of a necessity than a style decision.  The publisher told him to cut a couple hundred pages but he didn't want to lose any of the plot.

I still don't know whether he was taking the piss or not.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #575 on: February 19, 2010, 12:38:41 PM »
I became somewhat interested in him after reading it, and dug around the net reading some old interviews.  He's...a character, to be sure, obviously lying for kicks at times.  It's very possible he was taking the piss, as his style varies wildly in Crime Wave depending on the story but the fragments are still present (although their usage is diminished).
sup

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #576 on: February 19, 2010, 12:48:53 PM »
The fragments get more and more prominent as the series progresses.  It's not as prominent in Black Dahlia, and it's not anywhere in some of his earlier stuff.

I got through American Tabloid, but it left me not wanting to read the other books in the series.  By that point the writing was so cut up and the characters so relentlessly unlikeable that it wasn't fun for me anymore.  But this was almost a decade ago and I refuse to vouch for my own opinion after about five years.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #577 on: February 19, 2010, 02:57:56 PM »
Just read L.A. Confidential by James Ellroy.  Was surprised how much was cut from the film (entire characters and subplots, and the novel takes place over the course of about 8 years).  Liked Ellroy's jump-rhythm writing style, but he carries on too long sometimes.  Probably should have started at the beginning of his "LA Quartet" series of novels, as several characters make recurring appearances across.  In the middle of Crime Wave, his collection of nonfiction and short stories.  Not digging that quite as much, but there are some highlights like Frank Sinatra being forced to take acid and ending up thinking he's Jesus.

Would have been awesome if he'd then met Elton John.
vjj

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #578 on: February 24, 2010, 10:01:06 AM »
The Big Machine so far is probably the most amazing book I've yet read this year.

It's starts off as a group of down on their luck black people pulled together from horrible circumstances to do research, looking for elements of "the voice" in every day life by sorting through thousands of news papers. The Voice is a voice in the wilderness which helped an escaping blind slave stumble upon two chests of spanish gold and then led him to Vermont, which had outlawed slavery the year before his escape. but then the voice went silent.

our very very unreliable narrator is an ex junkie con whose amazing past is teased out in alternating chapters where we find out about his childhood, a promise he made in 2002 which he's since broken, and his junkie past. Intercut are the exploits of this very low rent paranormal investigative agency of which he's become a part.

this book is amazing. there's a sequence in the book that when it was revealed what the segment had been building to, I literally gasped. the book had me in it's thrall, wholly and willingly subservient to the narrative. I can't wait to see where this one goes.
Tonya

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #579 on: March 02, 2010, 09:14:52 AM »
thanks to the awesome e-book app on my droid, i'm reading Heart of Darkness. it's pretty good so far.
nat

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #580 on: March 08, 2010, 10:30:24 AM »
I'm reading Voodoo Histories: The Role of the Conspiracy Theory in Shaping Modern History.

It's a semischolarly work not so much about conspiracy theories, but rather about how they kind of spread out and affect the overall culture.

It's very informative and well researched, though it's easy to see how the author is possibly just standing on the shoulders of giants, as conspiracy debunking isn't exactly new or niche, however, as a long time fan of conspiracy theory and paranoid psychology, this book has managed to provide me with some information I didn't know previous to picking up the book.

The first section is entitled 1919 and is about how there was a general sense of people, postwar, tried to make sense of the conflict, and look for people to blame for it and how blame was ready made in the propagation of The Protocols of the Elders of Zion. The book goes through the history of the dispersal of The Protocols and about how it received wide and popular press from European and American newspapers, and a great deal is made of Herny Ford's latching onto the work and how he promoted it in The Dearborne Independent, his own newspaper.

The book then goes through the history debunking of the Theory, how The Protocol was essentially plagiarized from a German Right-Wing Romance (in the Sir Walter Scott, not Diane Steele mode) that had been translated to Russian, then translated back by someone claiming to have gained access to the original documents which The Protocols purport to be.

It's really fascinating reading and is highly recommended for anyone who enjoys reading about Conspiracy Theories or niche history. The book, so far, is quite well written. Informative and wryly funny.
Tonya

« Reply #581 on: March 08, 2010, 04:22:38 PM »

I don't know why I was compelled to pick this up from my bookcase.  I guess I just wanted to revisit something from high school, since I haven't read it in about 10 years.

I got this as a Christmas gift for my dad one year and he wouldn't shut the fuck up about it, and just as strangely as re-reading The Demolished Man, I decided to grab a copy on clearance at Borders.  Haven't started yet, but it seems...ambitious.
haa

rodi

• Crotch Digger
« Reply #582 on: March 09, 2010, 07:24:54 PM »
I'm in the middle of American Gods, by Neil Gaiman - strangest book ever. After the cat scene and the Ifrit thing, I just kind of put the book down and haven't picked it up since.

I replaced it with The Hobbit. So far, so good. I wanted to read it before the movie came out.

rodi

• Crotch Digger
« Reply #583 on: March 09, 2010, 08:24:57 PM »
I have no idea how that all ended up like that. There was no "You want to go out sometime? Coffee?", no "wanna do it?", no nothing. There was just, talking about work, "hey, I'm staying at this hotel" and then...

...gay sex.
[close]

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #584 on: March 10, 2010, 02:08:36 AM »

The Drawing of the Dark by Tim Powers

This has been on my shelf for a while, grabbed it more-or-less at random the other night for a bathtub read. Really fun so far, features an Irish swordsman working as a bouncer in a Viennese brew pub. Everyone he meets tries to kill him in some way or another, and he basically kills them harder, often with the help of all sorts of supernatural beasties.

As usual with Tim Powers, I have absolutely no idea where he's going with all of this. There are some veiled implications that the beer being brewed has some sort of supernatural aspect that might have something to do with repelling Suleiman's army of Turks (it's pseudo-historical). Magic beer? Please let it be so.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 02:11:16 AM by Cormacaroni »
vjj

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #585 on: March 10, 2010, 11:16:50 PM »

Roberto Bolano is the man, been finding it hard to find time to finish this but it's pretty damn good. Love his other stuff (Savage Detectives, By Night in Chile + more) too.

He died while writing it too so his Son had to finish the final part. Makes it just a little more badass.
◕‿◕

« Reply #586 on: March 10, 2010, 11:32:09 PM »

My wife was friends with the author growing up in Omaha. Really funny book.
野球

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #587 on: March 11, 2010, 10:09:23 AM »
Almost finished with Voodoo Histories.  There's a lot of interesting stuff in here in the form of English conspiracy theories of which I was unaware, such as the Hilda Murrell one.  She was the victim of a robbery gone wrong, but since she was also a member of the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament supposedly working on a paper on Nuclear Power, she MUST have been killed by intelligence operatives.  The book paints a really interesting picture of British pop culture at the time with films like Silkwood and The China Syndrome and BBC series like In The Secret State and Edge of Darkness coupled with real life events as the Falkland Island's General Belgrano affair (wherein the British Navy sunk a vessel which was trying to leave a conflict zone and this was used as a pretext of aggression to escalate the conflict) to show that because there was a pervading sense of "things not being what they seem" and the existence of actual Goverment Coverups to blow out of proportion this whole thing.

There's also a great chapter on Holy Blood, Holy Grail / The Da Vinci Code and other psuedo-archeology like Chariots of the Gods? and the like.

I'm currently on the 9/11 Chapter but I may end up skipping this one as I'm pretty well familiar with this thought behind these theories and their debunking.
Tonya

etiolate

« Reply #588 on: March 11, 2010, 05:03:55 PM »
reading some Platonov and the Persepolis Graphic Novel

Platonov is really enjoyable, and he does some things with vagueness that are real "NO!NO!"s but he manages to get away with it. I guess there is something to be said for using non-specifity to create a sort of semi-blindness that reaches towards the life of things rather than the designation of them.

As for Persepolis, I just love Marjane's persona of herself in the story. I loved it in the movie and love it in the comic form. Makes you wish you could go back in time and be her playground boyfriend.

muckhole

• AMBASSADOR
« Reply #589 on: March 30, 2010, 11:24:37 PM »
Started A Brief History of Time. I've also been plugging through those Joe Pitt casebooks Kosma recommended a bit back. Good stuff.
fek

Powerslave

« Reply #590 on: March 30, 2010, 11:25:28 PM »
what fuckin books lowlz :smug

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #591 on: March 31, 2010, 11:16:51 AM »
Forcing myself to read Catch-22.  I'm hoping it might get better.  Also dabbling with an old book called Wild at Heart.  Book about being a manly man.
WTF

muckhole

• AMBASSADOR
« Reply #592 on: March 31, 2010, 12:35:49 PM »
Joe Pitt  :gun

Which book are you on Muckhole?

Half-Blood of Brooklyn at the moment. They remind me of a darker, grittier Dresden Files. Quick, fun reads.
fek

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #593 on: March 31, 2010, 12:38:08 PM »
girlfriend bought it for me, 1/3 of the way through, pretty good so far:

^_^

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #594 on: March 31, 2010, 01:10:20 PM »
Does anybody remember this one:

I don't what made me think about it.  But I remember trying to read the book when it first came out back in 2000.  I loved the story, but I couldn't finish it.  This was the only book that I've ever had to stop reading, because it gave me a headache...

Did anyone else have problems with it?  Did anyone finish it?
WTF

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #595 on: March 31, 2010, 01:35:17 PM »
I keep meaning to pick it up, since I love the album Poe did which is based on it (or otherwise linked to it), Haunted.

Tieno

• Iconz
« Reply #596 on: March 31, 2010, 04:31:53 PM »
girlfriend bought it for me, 1/3 of the way through, pretty good so far:

(Image removed from quote.)
Only gets better, prose is really good.
i

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #597 on: April 01, 2010, 05:04:53 PM »
Just took out the The Foundation :rock

I was avoiding the Library for the longest time since I just returned this book I had for 5 months (4 months and 2 weeks overdue). Found out I only owed $3 :lol
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 05:07:12 PM by BlueTsunami »

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #598 on: April 06, 2010, 09:59:09 PM »
Come on biznitches, post yo' shit. Finished the first part of The Foundation trilogy, a real treat... don't go in expecting lots of action though. Returned that and got this...

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #599 on: April 07, 2010, 02:34:56 AM »
:bow Snow Crash :bow2

Really should re-read this, but I still haven't cracked Anathem.
vjj