Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2083861 times)

BobFromPikeCreek

Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #8040 on: February 24, 2014, 01:20:25 AM »
True Detective continues to fuck up my Mondays. I'm too pumped to sleep.
zzzzz

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #8041 on: February 24, 2014, 02:18:02 AM »
Has anyone here seen that Sherlock Holmes show with Lucy Liu? Is it any good? I've been watching the BBC version which is pretty sweet.

If you go back a few pages, there is A LOT of discussion comparing Elementary and BBC Sherlock. I can sum it up for you by saying "Etiolet is wrong."

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #8042 on: February 24, 2014, 02:34:56 AM »
While this was still a really good episode and had some awesome moments, I kind of felt that they took the easy out with the whole

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Maggie fucking Rust thing. Just felt really predictable.
[close]

Also, while the show is awesome and incredibly well-written, the "dude doesn't write women well at all" is a legit criticism.
yar

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #8043 on: February 24, 2014, 02:55:49 AM »
So much PAWG tease in True Detective, even McConaughey. The actress who plays Beth is also a main character in Banshee but gets more naked.

On Boardwalk  Empire

Jimmy basically had come back from the war already dead. Letting his son be raised by his warped mother, who clearly was going to raise her as Jimmy 2.0, shows how broken he believed he was and that he was headed this way all along.
[close]

But in season 3 the cast is smaller and it's probably my favorite season so far.

Oblivion

« Reply #8044 on: February 24, 2014, 03:27:10 AM »
I want to watch House of Cards but I committed to finish watching Dexter before I move on to something else :-\

Speaking of which, holy shit, that show fell apart during its fifth season.  Julia Stiles is a godawful actress, it should have been a warning sign that the people behind the show thought she was capable of exhibiting the emotions necessary to make her character believable.  Season six redeems itself until the two stupid and shitty twists at the end.  Season seven is toilet tier, even Titus Pullo couldn't redeem that steaming pile.  Now I'm working my way through season eight, which is wtf after wtf.

Dude, honestly stop watching. Dexter has literally  the worst series finale of any T.V. show I've ever seen. Ever. Some shows might have lame finales, some might end in a fucked up way, but Dexter ends in the most WTF just happened fashion in history.

Has anyone here seen that Sherlock Holmes show with Lucy Liu? Is it any good? I've been watching the BBC version which is pretty sweet.

If you go back a few pages, there is A LOT of discussion comparing Elementary and BBC Sherlock. I can sum it up for you by saying "Etiolet is wrong."

From what I read it sounds like it's done in the vein of those shitty NCIS shows. That is NOT a good sign.

etiolate

« Reply #8045 on: February 24, 2014, 08:36:46 AM »

Doubting me is always a mistake!

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #8046 on: February 24, 2014, 08:38:52 AM »
While this was still a really good episode and had some awesome moments, I kind of felt that they took the easy out with the whole

Maggie fucking Rust thing. Just felt really predictable.
[close]

Also, while the show is awesome and incredibly well-written, the "dude doesn't write women well at all" is a legit criticism.

I kinda liked it.
Rust's always super critical of Marty for falling for "crazy pussy" and having no sexual restraint. Maggie kinda outed the dude as a massive hypocrite.
[close]
zzzzz

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #8047 on: February 24, 2014, 09:47:25 AM »

I have no doubt!

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #8048 on: February 24, 2014, 09:52:18 AM »
Oh, man, enjoying WISIS over some Laphroaig 18, when the show's guest speaker of quotes is CHARLES FUCKING DANCE. I am so blissed out.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #8049 on: February 24, 2014, 10:22:51 AM »

:gurl

"After playing WoW for over a thousand hours, here's why it sucks"
yar

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #8050 on: February 24, 2014, 10:42:38 AM »
watching buffy from s1e1 for the first time in forever

some of this shit is straight up painful

but some of it is still just amazing

the episode where buffy fights a cyber demon was just...i mean... 90s internet representation is just the height of camp, but then you toss in this Power Ranger looking bad guy and it just hits a whole other level
Tonya

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #8051 on: February 24, 2014, 10:55:55 AM »
season 1 is pretty awful.  Its fun to watch exactly for the reasons you're mentioning but lord I'm surprised it ever got a season 2.  glad it did though
püp

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #8052 on: February 24, 2014, 10:58:27 AM »

I think it's more that the show doesn't feature any diversity in terms of female characters - it's a collection of victims/prostitutes and the Jilted Wife. You could argue it makes sense: the show is almost entirely about two male detectives, we rarely see anything that isn't from their perspective, and unlike Breaking Bad or Mad Men there isn't much focus on the wives; we don't get to see Maggie's daily life unless she is interacting/reacting to Marty or Cohle.

It's a detective show set it deep Louisiana, I "get" why the female parts are sparse. Hell I was surprised there are two black detectives, and even those roles are largely background/not big. It would have been interesting if one of the black detectives was a white female - I think that would lead to some dynamic scenes with Marty.

While watching the episode I found myself thinking lol, Alyssa Rosenberg is going to have something to say about this. She has criticized the show's portrayal of black people in episode 4 (the tracking shot through the projects). But even there I can't help but think...what do you expect to see in the projects, from a cop's perspective? Likewise it's not surprising a philandering pos detective like Marty would focus his attention on crazy, clingy women over his wife - who honestly seems like one of the few "decent" people on the show.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 11:15:41 AM by Phoenix Dark »

ZephyrFate

« Reply #8053 on: February 24, 2014, 11:08:16 AM »
The intent of this season of True Detective is to be through the lens of broken, hypermasculine characters in a setting that engenders hypermasculinity and congratulates it. It's no wonder that the female characters are sparse and secondary to the plot, even though Maggie is an interesting character in her own right (at least now that she's being interviewed, where you can see what the years have done to her). That's not to say it isn't a good criticism to point out that this does limit the scope of the series.

Hopefully season two works to subvert the tropes of hypermasculine detectives and sex object wives/whores instead of present them ironically in a Mad Men/The Sopranos-esque fashion. I don't think Pizzolatto can't write female characters, just that the thrust of the main male characters in this season is very much grounded in detective tropes with a little Southern Gothic stylings thrown in.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #8054 on: February 24, 2014, 12:02:18 PM »
Never read her Breaking Bad stuff, but I've read her other stuff including GoT; she's a hardcore fan of the books and has done some ASOIAF podcast appearances.

I'm going to guess she wasn't a fan of Walter White, hence your anger.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #8055 on: February 24, 2014, 05:13:26 PM »
yar

etiolate

« Reply #8056 on: February 24, 2014, 06:08:28 PM »

:gurl

"After playing WoW for over a thousand hours, here's why it sucks"

"After making sure I understand what I am talking about, here are the strengths and weaknesses."

Laying waste to the post-ironic since the post-ironic twas a wee twee thing.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #8057 on: February 24, 2014, 08:12:42 PM »
I guess some of us are able to figure things out faster than others.
yar

Kshow

« Reply #8058 on: February 25, 2014, 09:37:26 PM »
True detective is the best show on right now. Only few episodes left. GOT needs to begin, now!

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #8059 on: February 25, 2014, 09:39:43 PM »
True detective is the best show on right now. Only few episodes left. GOT needs to begin, now!

Yup. I thought that last episode wasn't as good as the last few, but it was still quite solid.

Kshow

« Reply #8060 on: February 25, 2014, 09:45:35 PM »
No. Definitely the lowest on the episode totem pole. Is is jus me, or is this some Model agency that specifically deals with fat asses!!!???  Damnnnnn! Lol  Michelle Monaghan ass was luscious. Seen this in an episode of the shield. Forrest whittakers ex on the show. Cuz there's no way all these ladies have these perfect asses! Shield is damn good. Vic lyin is out of control. On S.6

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #8061 on: February 25, 2014, 10:06:24 PM »
a episode that focuses on the wife and it's a step down. you're all misogynists

yeah it was a step down
[close]
AMC

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #8062 on: February 25, 2014, 10:12:39 PM »
The investigation stuff is more interesting to me than all of the character development stuff, even though this show does the latter better than like 95% of what else is out there. I also thought the episode was a bit of a step down from what the series has established as a baseline, but the showrunner has said that it's a story with 3 acts: Ep 1-3, 4-6, and 7-8. So, we're going into the last act and I fully expect things to go shitballs insane.
yar

Kshow

« Reply #8063 on: February 25, 2014, 10:13:39 PM »
a episode that focuses on the wife and it's a step down. you're all misogynists

yeah it was a step down
[close]
Hard to detect sarcasm, so Imma chalk it up as that...   I would say it had more to do with this is what we kinda of expected. Them focusing in on rust.  So it wasn't as enthralling as previous episodes.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 10:15:22 PM by Kshow »

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #8064 on: February 25, 2014, 10:24:05 PM »
I usually love it too, one of the best parts of the show, but this episode it wasn't hitting for me in that regard.

You didn't dig the Tuttle face to face? Rust got him some serious bawlz
yar

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #8065 on: February 25, 2014, 10:25:35 PM »
AMC

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #8066 on: February 25, 2014, 10:39:56 PM »
Started watching True Detective...  :whew :lawd :phil :gladbron
©@©™

Oblivion

« Reply #8067 on: February 26, 2014, 01:07:56 AM »
I just saw the first ep. of True Detective. It was okay. I presume from all the  :whew reactions in this thread it gets better?

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #8068 on: February 26, 2014, 01:30:02 AM »
Episode 3-5 are like god-tier
püp

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #8069 on: February 26, 2014, 01:46:29 AM »
I fell in love with Rust at first sight but yeah it takes a few episodes for the chemistry between the partners to develop.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #8070 on: February 26, 2014, 03:09:03 AM »
No. Definitely the lowest on the episode totem pole. Is is jus me, or is this some Model agency that specifically deals with fat asses!!!???  Damnnnnn! Lol  Michelle Monaghan ass was luscious. Seen this in an episode of the shield. Forrest whittakers ex on the show. Cuz there's no way all these ladies have these perfect asses! Shield is damn good. Vic lyin is out of control. On S.6
I feel like I'm reading a post from the coli

Kshow

« Reply #8071 on: February 26, 2014, 09:18:41 AM »
I feel like I'm reading a post from the coli
Is that a good thing?  lol  I Think it'd be a hilarious sketch. (An in depth look at Stunt asses. BIG BUSINESS!) What's everyone got playin...?  What I need to watch is house of cards, but tryin to finish shield first. Also been watchin 3rd rock from the sun. Lithgow is a genius!  Helluva show!

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #8072 on: February 26, 2014, 03:49:19 PM »
I've got people who didn't realize True Detective would change the whole cast losing their shit :neogaf
vin

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #8073 on: February 26, 2014, 04:05:45 PM »
The director is changing too though  :'(
AMC

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8074 on: February 26, 2014, 04:12:45 PM »
what shit-losers.

cool breeze

« Reply #8075 on: February 26, 2014, 04:18:07 PM »
sounds like it's a big commitment.  I'd rather have another director take over the entire second season than switching up directors every episode like most shows.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #8076 on: February 26, 2014, 04:28:30 PM »
sounds like it's a big commitment.  I'd rather have another director take over the entire second season than switching up directors every episode like most shows.

this is a good point. i guess i wouldn't expect a director that good to stay on, anyway.
AMC

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #8077 on: February 26, 2014, 05:00:11 PM »
He's staying on as executive producer so I would guess he'd be trying to find someone who he has confidence can maintain the quality of the show's cinematography.

I really want Fincher on this shit though. :lawd  The show to me reminds me so much of Se7en.
püp

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #8078 on: February 26, 2014, 06:57:35 PM »
The writer/show-runner is staying for season two, though. I honestly think he's more important overall.
yar

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #8079 on: February 26, 2014, 11:59:09 PM »
The director is changing too though  :'(

Not only that, but Cary Fukunaga's next project is an It remake. I don't know what to think about that.
zzzzz

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #8080 on: February 27, 2014, 12:41:13 AM »
Justified: Lotsa conversations ended by abrupt gun murders.

House of Cards: Lotsa conversations resumed because a character has something important to say just before someone else walks out of an office door.

Himu

« Reply #8081 on: February 27, 2014, 12:44:03 AM »
what are the best shows on now
IYKYK

ZephyrFate

« Reply #8082 on: February 27, 2014, 01:16:50 AM »
season 2 of true detective is going to have female detectives

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #8083 on: February 27, 2014, 01:31:43 AM »
what are the best shows on now

True Detective, True Detective, and True Detective
yar

etiolate

« Reply #8084 on: February 27, 2014, 02:03:12 AM »
The Americans s2 starts up tonight if you haven't seen the show yet.

cool breeze

« Reply #8085 on: February 27, 2014, 02:08:54 AM »
the true detective pilot showed up on youtube

[close]

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #8086 on: February 27, 2014, 08:21:07 AM »
Has it been confirmed there will be female detectives? I thought he just said there would be more depth/focus on female characters.

I'd hate to have to stop watching such a great show due to forced diversity quotas
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 09:28:32 AM by Phoenix Dark »

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #8087 on: February 27, 2014, 08:40:23 AM »
i hope they address the race issue by hiring Donny Glover for two episodes then kick him to the curb
Tonya

Beezy

« Reply #8088 on: February 27, 2014, 09:30:23 AM »
The Americans s2 starts up tonight if you haven't seen the show yet.
Great season premiere. Things are gonna take off much quicker this time.

Himu

« Reply #8089 on: February 27, 2014, 01:12:52 PM »
May I have a thorough list of what shows are best on TV/streaming now?
IYKYK

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8090 on: February 27, 2014, 01:37:43 PM »
Arrow (because no one else is going to say it).  True Detective.  Archer.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #8091 on: February 27, 2014, 02:07:36 PM »
May I have a thorough list of what shows are best on TV/streaming now?

you already have a list, its this fucking thread :comeon
püp

cool breeze

« Reply #8092 on: February 27, 2014, 02:43:04 PM »

Arrow is great outside of the cw teen drama, which season 2 has cut down in favor of more action and comic book stuff.

and I'm convinced laurel, or the actress, is hated by the writers.  I've never seen a character get dumped on as much as her.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #8093 on: February 27, 2014, 03:04:58 PM »

Arrow is great outside of the cw teen drama, which season 2 has cut down in favor of more action and comic book stuff.

and I'm convinced laurel, or the actress, is hated by the writers.  I've never seen a character get dumped on as much as her.

nah it's Mr. Bates :tocry

they've been fucking with him since the pilot  :snoop

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8094 on: February 27, 2014, 03:15:58 PM »
Pretty sure they are doing it so she can come back as the Black Canary next season. 

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #8095 on: February 27, 2014, 05:49:03 PM »
Justified is good but it would be best if you watched the earlier seasons. Banshee is a great guilty pleasure.

Kshow

« Reply #8096 on: February 27, 2014, 08:47:26 PM »
Justified is good but it would be best if you watched the earlier seasons. Banshee is a great guilty pleasure.
Yup. Season 2 was awesome!

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #8097 on: February 28, 2014, 12:55:05 PM »

nah it's Mr. Bates :tocry
(Image removed from quote.)

they've been fucking with him since the pilot  :snoop

Just wish they would just go around and kill him, brings the show down 
Drunk

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #8098 on: February 28, 2014, 12:56:00 PM »
Damn that new episode of The Americans was better than the entirety last two seasons of homeland! Felicity :noah
Drunk

ZephyrFate

« Reply #8099 on: March 01, 2014, 12:45:07 AM »
Has it been confirmed there will be female detectives? I thought he just said there would be more depth/focus on female characters.

I'd hate to have to stop watching such a great show due to forced diversity quotas (Image removed from quote.)
there's a deleted tweet by Pizzolatto that hints towards just full throttle female detectives.

also, Hannibal aka one of the other secret best shows on TV is back and it is deliciously fucked up as usual