Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2083619 times)

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #15420 on: June 14, 2018, 09:35:17 PM »
Started a trial with sling to watch drag race tonight :rejoice

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #15421 on: June 14, 2018, 09:45:58 PM »
Started a trial with sling to watch drag race tonight :rejoice

Who you rooting for?
serge

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #15422 on: June 14, 2018, 10:51:57 PM »
The Handmaid's Tale Season 2.

This thing is off the rails stupid.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #15423 on: June 15, 2018, 07:05:37 PM »
At this point? Eureka, I guess? They’re all decent choices, excepting Cameron maybe

TVC15

« Reply #15424 on: June 16, 2018, 11:16:07 PM »
Omg just saw this. This is for my Ru girls here.  This is the rehearsal of the epic Kitty Girl performance from AS3.

Also, I noticed that my interest in pro wrestling kind and died out once RuPaul was back on the air. Hmmm.
serge

kingv

« Reply #15425 on: June 17, 2018, 11:29:23 AM »
I watched about 7 episodes of Cobra Kai last night and I liked it.

It feels a bit amateurish at times, and there are occasionally some shots that look like they were designed primarily to save money.

However, the choreography is surprisingly decent and it has a ton of 80s rock music. And Danny Larussos wife is quite hot.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #15426 on: June 19, 2018, 01:45:48 AM »

Tasty

« Reply #15427 on: June 19, 2018, 05:13:10 PM »
YouTube TV added Starz. Since I already re-marathoned Spartacus two years ago, is there anything worthwhile on Starz outside the latest season of Ash vs. Evil Dead? (The prior seasons are already on Netflix.)

Something produced by Sam Raimi would be choice, obvs.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #15428 on: June 19, 2018, 08:42:02 PM »
YouTube TV added Starz. Since I already re-marathoned Spartacus two years ago, is there anything worthwhile on Starz outside the latest season of Ash vs. Evil Dead? (The prior seasons are already on Netflix.)

Black Sails is very slept on. Some great surprises.

Also counterpart was solid:

« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 08:49:45 PM by toku »

Tasty

« Reply #15429 on: June 19, 2018, 08:50:18 PM »
Bless up. 👏🏻

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #15430 on: June 20, 2018, 05:30:38 AM »
is there anything worthwhile on Starz outside the latest season of Ash vs. Evil Dead? (The prior seasons are already on Netflix.)
RIP to this show btw.
每天生气

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #15431 on: June 20, 2018, 11:47:11 AM »
Ash vs Evil Dead was legit good, but dragged way too much, should have made it a series of netflix movies or short coherent 4 - 6 episode seasons.

kingv

« Reply #15432 on: June 20, 2018, 01:58:10 PM »

Power.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #15433 on: June 21, 2018, 08:23:25 AM »
Netflix actually picked up Lucifer :lol

and they ordered it as a shortened 10-episode season like i mentioned earlier would probably fit the slowly evolving format of the show better as it seemed like they were really stretching the arc plot across the number of episodes Fox wanted...i have to imagine the procedural stuff gets shunted even more to the side in favor of the arcs since Netflix won't care about having single episodes anyone can watch with a case of the week

might even get some multi-episode cases instead rather than everything wrapped up at the 38 minute mark of the episode, more challenging human murderers plus the supernatural and occult

now to be disappointed like when Arrested was "saved" amirite!

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #15434 on: June 21, 2018, 01:14:34 PM »
Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories

Finished this up recently, thought it was going to be a comfy time waster show, but it has some drama and heart felt moments I highly recommend it.

:expert :expert :expert :expert/5
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 01:21:02 PM by D3RANG3D »

Tasty

« Reply #15435 on: June 22, 2018, 09:46:42 PM »
Is Luke Cage s2 the most un-hyped Marvel thing ever?

Tasty

« Reply #15436 on: June 22, 2018, 09:46:53 PM »
MCU-wise anyways.

Tasty

« Reply #15437 on: June 22, 2018, 09:47:05 PM »
Well, "allegedly" "MCU"-wise, anyways.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #15438 on: June 22, 2018, 09:48:16 PM »
I'm enjoying it. 

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #15439 on: June 22, 2018, 10:16:25 PM »
Ken Burns PBS Vietnam doc on Netflix. Feels almost exhaustive with how much information and context being conveyed.
:9

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #15441 on: June 23, 2018, 12:38:24 AM »
Lmaoooo

What youre not seeing is some Harlem teenagers roasting Mr. Cage off.frame for that shit

He hit that shit hard too. You know that must have been the 10th take and they kept escalating the velocity of the dab.

Def not starting that up
:9

paprikastaude

« Reply #15442 on: June 24, 2018, 12:57:57 PM »
I've started to rewatch IT Crowd for the first time after over half a decade. Holy shit, though I remembered it being like Big Bang Theory except not shit for complete morons - I forgot how good it really is. It's been a long time since I've been in tears because of a comedy show, despite me still remembering some of the punchlines no less.
I guess I need to finally get on to Black Books next.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 02:06:38 PM by Spieler1 »

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #15443 on: June 25, 2018, 02:51:10 AM »
So just watched the season finale of Westworld.

My first instinct is that I didn't like it much and it's sort of an amalgamation of all the little elements and flaws of Season 2 that I didn't like. In fact as a whole I like that particular episode less than the bulk of Season 2 which I mostly enjoyed as I watched it.

That final episode is like seeing a magic trick. And when you don't know how the magic trick is performed, its kind of cool because your mind comes up with all these theories and fixates on all these elements of the trick that seem neat in a vacuum. But when the trick is actually explained to you the magic is gone. It's just oh you had a lady in both sides of the box before you sawed it in half. That's kinda lame.

That finale felt like that. It wants to be epic. It wants to blow your mind. But when most of it feels forced and only one of the little pieces of it actually seems like a good twist, it feels a bit underwhelming.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I also don't really get how you move forward without fundamentally changing the very nature of the show. Being in a park and doing Westworld, Samurai World, etc seems completely old hat after that finale. I feel like that world is now pointless and doing more of it is just spinning wheels. And I'm fine with changing that up completely. But I have a feeling that a lot of people tune into that show for western alternate reality shenanigans every week. If you don't give them that they are going to be disappointed. And I'm going to be disappointed if it is the same old shenanigans.
[close]

I'll probably go into more detail about specific bits I liked/didn't like about that finale and season when I have a little more time tomorrow. I know everything I said here is very general and that is partially so as not to accidentally spoil anything since I know not everybody has seen it yet. Also to give myself so time to think about it.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #15444 on: June 25, 2018, 03:00:58 AM »
i didn't think it was very satisfying but i've made no secret of my distaste for this show, especially season 2. it was not nearly as bad as some of the earlier episodes, but dolores' motivations are still so dumb. she wants to destroy humanity based on a sample size of a few million of the worlds most wealthy sadists. she thinks the 'real world' is so much better than the 'gilded cage' she's trapped in (and hates it so much she's willing to kill the hosts who are perfectly content to stay in robot xanadu - whatever) yet her very existence is the result of humans desire for escapism for the 'real' world. shit there's probably a sizable number of people who would throw themselves headfirst into the singularity the second they got the chance

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #15445 on: June 25, 2018, 03:03:12 AM »
Is Luke Cage s2 the most un-hyped Marvel thing ever?
I knew it was out but I started rewatching Agatha Christie's Poirot (1989) Season 1 instead. These shows have sorta run out their must watch status with me.

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #15446 on: June 25, 2018, 09:43:51 AM »
That WestWorld Season 2 finale was the truest form of the word "convoluted" but still, even saying that it's an entertaining and well done show. The Matrix references and influences are all over it, and i love that.

I'm still in for Season 3 despite it being an average show at best.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #15447 on: June 25, 2018, 11:27:26 AM »
Finished Kimmy Schmidt.

"On June 13, 2017, the show was renewed for a fourth season,[5] with the first 6 episodes premiering on May 30, 2018.[6] The second half is expected to debut January 25, 2019.[7] The fourth season will be the final of the series.[8]"

:noooo

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15448 on: June 25, 2018, 11:54:56 AM »
Finished Kimmy Schmidt.

"On June 13, 2017, the show was renewed for a fourth season,[5] with the first 6 episodes premiering on May 30, 2018.[6] The second half is expected to debut January 25, 2019.[7] The fourth season will be the final of the series.[8]"

:noooo

Yeah I feel like they could get maybe two more seasons out of it but I'm also happy they end it before they run out of creative juices.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15449 on: June 25, 2018, 12:36:35 PM »
i didn't think it was very satisfying but i've made no secret of my distaste for this show, especially season 2. it was not nearly as bad as some of the earlier episodes, but dolores' motivations are still so dumb. she wants to destroy humanity based on a sample size of a few million of the worlds most wealthy sadists. she thinks the 'real world' is so much better than the 'gilded cage' she's trapped in (and hates it so much she's willing to kill the hosts who are perfectly content to stay in robot xanadu - whatever) yet her very existence is the result of humans desire for escapism for the 'real' world. shit there's probably a sizable number of people who would throw themselves headfirst into the singularity the second they got the chance

I've hinted at it before but my biggest problem with the show isn't any specific plot point or any specific characterizations.

It's more that at no moment does the show not ever feel like this overly constructed thing that the writers are writing strictly for their enjoyment versus the enjoyment of the audience. It just feels so artificial. I never feel like the characters actually do what the characters want to do themselves. It's all an elaborate writers excercise to create the most convoluted plot you can to try to fool the audience.

Ultimately it just leaves me feeling cold towards the show. Especially the second season. At least I was invested in the mystery of the first season. The second season I could have honestly cared less about the over-arching mystery. The only thing to really ground it for me was the motivation and emotion of characters. But then like I said, the characters feel like such puppets of the writers that it steals away from that.

The 3rd season would be a perfect time to break away from this artificial kind of storytelling, but I have a feeling that is what the show is truly in its heart. I have a feeling they would struggle to tell a natural story without all the little tricks.

Tasty

« Reply #15450 on: June 25, 2018, 02:19:04 PM »
Man that WW finale was some corny shit.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15451 on: June 25, 2018, 02:23:50 PM »
Man that WW finale was some corny shit.

The Lee Sizemore death scene made me groan out loud. They had done decent work rehabbing the character. But they couldn't leave well enough alone. They had to go that one step too far just to try to create a moment. That's a lot of Westworld.
[close]

TVC15

« Reply #15452 on: June 25, 2018, 02:52:19 PM »
So am I still going to hate S2 when I try to binge it? Nobody I know irl seemed to like this season very much.
serge

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15453 on: June 25, 2018, 02:58:28 PM »
One more and then I'll shut up about Westworld for a bit.

http://ew.com/tv/2018/06/25/westworld-host-stubbs/

I think the name of this article is hilarious.

"Westworld finale had a secret host reveal you might have missed"

No one missed that reveal. The writing was so blatant and obvious that it its like getting smacked in the face with a left hook. The scene is confusing because it comes out of nowhere and is so blatant with its intent that I thought this is so silly, maybe its a fakeout. "Nuanced Dialogue" my ass. Why not just have that character give Delores bot a long glance where the camera lingers. Where you are left with a decision to make about whether he knows something or how he could possibly know something. By having that character say those lines, once again I groaned out loud. It's like the worst way to answer questions or create a moment
[close]

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #15454 on: June 25, 2018, 03:40:47 PM »
So am I still going to hate S2 when I try to binge it? Nobody I know irl seemed to like this season very much.
you'll end up hating yourself. I think that's what the writers were going for  :doge

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #15455 on: June 25, 2018, 04:04:39 PM »

I've hinted at it before but my biggest problem with the show isn't any specific plot point or any specific characterizations.

It's more that at no moment does the show not ever feel like this overly constructed thing that the writers are writing strictly for their enjoyment versus the enjoyment of the audience. It just feels so artificial. I never feel like the characters actually do what the characters want to do themselves. It's all an elaborate writers excercise to create the most convoluted plot you can to try to fool the audience.

Ultimately it just leaves me feeling cold towards the show. Especially the second season. At least I was invested in the mystery of the first season. The second season I could have honestly cared less about the over-arching mystery. The only thing to really ground it for me was the motivation and emotion of characters. But then like I said, the characters feel like such puppets of the writers that it steals away from that.

The 3rd season would be a perfect time to break away from this artificial kind of storytelling, but I have a feeling that is what the show is truly in its heart. I have a feeling they would struggle to tell a natural story without all the little tricks.

the Akecheta episode really highlights that flaw imo. even though they (somewhat) successfully retcon a bunch of plotholes, that doesn't do anything to change your understanding or perception of characters that can charitably be described as enigmatic and probably more accurately be described as nonsensical. it's a nice break from the drudgery of the normal show, but it ultimately doesn't make the conclusion any more satisfying or less goofy.

stubbs being a host is hilariously ::) and the brain hats thing is still incredibly dumb.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #15456 on: June 25, 2018, 04:10:33 PM »

No one missed that reveal. The writing was so blatant and obvious that it its like getting smacked in the face with a left hook. The scene is confusing because it comes out of nowhere and is so blatant with its intent that I thought this is so silly, maybe its a fakeout. "Nuanced Dialogue" my ass. Why not just have that character give Delores bot a long glance where the camera lingers. Where you are left with a decision to make about whether he knows something or how he could possibly know something. By having that character say those lines, once again I groaned out loud. It's like the worst way to answer questions or create a moment
[close]

people definitely did miss that. the thing I've seen people say is they couldn't believe that 'core drive' line was literal (check around 8:30 here for example https://www.pscp.tv/davechensky/1yNxaXzyMdVJj) like it was so on the nose that they thought he was speaking figuratively :lol

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #15457 on: June 25, 2018, 04:18:56 PM »
The Nolans learned nuance doesn't work from watching the Wachowskis fail at doing it.

Let's not pretend things are so obvious for the rest of America  :doge

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #15458 on: June 25, 2018, 04:19:53 PM »
lisa joy literally said "that was supposed to be subtle" lol. it's shitty writing from shitty writers

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15459 on: June 25, 2018, 04:22:19 PM »

[close]

people definitely did miss that. the thing I've seen people say is they couldn't believe that 'core drive' line was literal (check around 8:30 here for example https://www.pscp.tv/davechensky/1yNxaXzyMdVJj) like it was so on the nose that they thought he was speaking figuratively :lol

That's what I mean. The only way you could miss it is to give the show more credit than it deserves by thinking he was talking in "code". It's such a blatantly silly scene that that interpretation is legit.

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #15460 on: June 25, 2018, 04:24:56 PM »
lisa joy literally said "that was supposed to be subtle" lol. it's shitty writing from shitty writers

there were moments i thought 'hey this is gonna end well' and then one weird twist after the other. I know before the season started a main point they made was to try and outsmart reddit or something, and my god they took it way too far.

i think they'll recalibrate for season 3, there's no way they don't get slammed for this.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #15461 on: June 25, 2018, 04:30:09 PM »
i thought it couldn't have been more obvious short of him looking directly into the camera and winking while going "nyah see i've been a robot this whole time!" but after going to reddit and seeing people assuming he was speaking figuratively, i did second guess myself for a minute. then LJ just came out and said straight up "nah he's a robot lol"  :lol

i do hope the show steps on the gas next season. i don't have much hope for it fixing any of the issues i have with it, but hopefully with the expanding scope they'll be less inclined towards monologues and gravitate towards more scenes of robots gratuitously murdering people

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #15462 on: June 25, 2018, 04:35:03 PM »

there were moments i thought 'hey this is gonna end well' and then one weird twist after the other. I know before the season started a main point they made was to try and outsmart reddit or something, and my god they took it way too far.

i think they'll recalibrate for season 3, there's no way they don't get slammed for this.

the last few episodes, and specifically the last 30 minutes or so of the finale go completely overboard with this. the whole way the endgame in the forge with bernard unfolds is supposed to keep you on your toes but it winds up just feeling kind of garbled. and that post credits scene eesh. it's just so jarringly unrestrained

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15463 on: June 25, 2018, 04:42:57 PM »

the last few episodes, and specifically the last 30 minutes or so of the finale go completely overboard with this. the whole way the endgame in the forge with bernard unfolds is supposed to keep you on your toes but it winds up just feeling kind of garbled. and that post credits scene eesh. it's just so jarringly unrestrained

It feels so garbled because the only way you could possibly enjoy it is to watch the whole season a second time, knowing everything you know after the final episode and then watching it again to see it fall into place. It's not satisfying on first watch because your brain has to make mental leaps to the past as you try to remember how you felt about something weeks ago.

It's why just telling a story out of order to trick the viewer isn't the goal by itself. They like to cite memento but you can still enjoy movies like memento, the crying game, pulp fiction, the sixth sense etc the first time through because there is plenty of meat on the bone. The second and third viewings add depth but we are talking about a 2 hour movie in this case. I'm not going to slog through essentially a 10 hour season to see a piece of foreshadowing and feel smart about it.

And I'm not the type to watch a show and spend my time endlessly theorizing about it as its taking place. That's not my thing. But it feels like that is the way they want you to watch Westworld. I'm more old school. You just tell a good story and create reasonable breadcrumbs and I'll enjoy it.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 04:50:06 PM by Stoney Mason »

Tasty

« Reply #15464 on: June 25, 2018, 10:50:22 PM »
I'm actually kinda pissed how they offed Hale for shock value and the "twist." And she doesn't even try to run? Like she of all people is surprised to see a bodyswap droid running around? That was her whole mission lmao.

I'm glad she's dead since I hated her, but I dunno, it felt really weird to me.

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #15465 on: June 25, 2018, 10:55:30 PM »
I'm actually kinda pissed how they offed Hale for shock value and the "twist." And she doesn't even try to run? Like she of all people is surprised to see a bodyswap droid running around? That was her whole mission lmao.

It felt weird because everything is forced. Hale is annoying because she's a terribly annoying actress with an obnoxious way about her.

The worse is Elsie, her whole character takes a turn right at the end, like all of a sudden she's an corporate girl trying to climb the ladder? Uh, ok? The show has a ton of fucking character issues.

Tasty

« Reply #15466 on: June 25, 2018, 10:58:44 PM »
Between that and post-"wakeup" hosts behaving 100% different from how they were in s1 (literally some hosts getting rewritten on the fly), character-wise there's now like zero continuity with s1. Like who did we meet in s1 that's even still around and in their same frame of mind going into s3?

Man in Black? Nope.

Delores? Hell nope.

Hale? She's a slave host to Delores now.

The only one is Bernard and let me just tell you, they sure as fuck better not pull some "flashforward/flashback" BS in s3.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #15467 on: June 25, 2018, 11:55:32 PM »

that's right up there with the mercenary, a ruthless killer paid to murder robots, gets iced by a robot that seduced him by looking slightly horny and extremely murderous.

also LOL the twist about Stubbs was apparently written the night before they shot the scene. jesus

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #15468 on: June 26, 2018, 12:40:20 AM »
Biggest issue with Westworld Is I cant give a fuck about any of the chars and I just want them all to die.

benjipwns

« Reply #15469 on: June 26, 2018, 06:28:48 AM »
All this discussion does is make me happy I never decided to start West World because I wanted to see the original movie first :doge

Still haven't.
Just watch Futureworld.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #15470 on: June 26, 2018, 06:31:34 AM »
Better yet, watch Future Man. Much better than any of this crap.

benjipwns

« Reply #15471 on: June 26, 2018, 06:33:11 AM »

That's what I mean. The only way you could miss it is to give the show more credit than it deserves by thinking he was talking in "code". It's such a blatantly silly scene that that interpretation is legit.
i thought it couldn't have been more obvious short of him looking directly into the camera and winking while going "nyah see i've been a robot this whole time!" but after going to reddit and seeing people assuming he was speaking figuratively, i did second guess myself for a minute. then LJ just came out and said straight up "nah he's a robot lol"  :lol
sounds like you guys are talking about the same thing that's been happening with Mr. Robot where the writers refuse to acknowledge that the fans have completely uncovered and exposed the hidden time travel and travel between alternate universes reveal that is coming and that the show's refusal to admit it and continue to insist that it's as straight forward as it appears is just cowardly and insulting

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #15472 on: June 26, 2018, 07:11:13 AM »
Thank jesus I can go back to shoujo anime where the plots are fresh and the characters well developed and interesting.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #15473 on: June 26, 2018, 12:39:24 PM »

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #15474 on: June 26, 2018, 02:18:07 PM »
Mr. Eko  :gladbron
每天生气

Tasty

« Reply #15475 on: June 26, 2018, 02:20:07 PM »

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #15476 on: June 26, 2018, 03:41:34 PM »

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #15477 on: June 26, 2018, 04:29:46 PM »
why

Tasty

« Reply #15479 on: June 26, 2018, 06:47:34 PM »
Was talking about this on Twitter with a friend.

Sorry, only registered users can see this content. Please Login or Register.