Author Topic: Official Thread of Flogging the Log: A Place for Better Random Talk  (Read 555687 times)

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Re: Official Thread of Flogging the Log: A Place for Better Random Talk
« Reply #4260 on: March 03, 2010, 01:17:06 AM »
wow PD, you sound totally normal
fat

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #4261 on: March 03, 2010, 01:48:32 AM »
I am about to work for 36 hours straight.  First time in months.  I hope my patients aren't seeking mercy by 3am and forward tomorrow...   :duh
WTF

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #4262 on: March 03, 2010, 01:36:21 PM »
man i really want an e-reader. but shit is expensive
nat

elektrikluv

« Reply #4263 on: March 03, 2010, 02:01:10 PM »
man i really want an e-reader. but shit is expensive

Me toooo. I think I've decided on the kindle, I really want to know when they're going to update it though, would hate to buy it and then have a new one come out.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4264 on: March 03, 2010, 02:02:07 PM »
I want a Kindle DX, but I want it for two hundred less than what it is :(

elektrikluv

« Reply #4265 on: March 03, 2010, 02:04:55 PM »
Definitely don't buy the DX yet, it has to go down in price considering its currently the same price as the iPad but is a dedicated e-reader.

cool breeze

« Reply #4266 on: March 03, 2010, 02:06:17 PM »
Every time I get close to setting on a e-book reader, some new tech is announced that makes me want to hold off.  Last one was the screen that can change between e-ink and regular lcd. 

elektrikluv

« Reply #4267 on: March 03, 2010, 02:19:41 PM »
I'm like that with most gadgets, I find myself spending more time holding off for the next revision or update which is time that could be spent with the actual product :/

cool breeze

« Reply #4268 on: March 03, 2010, 02:24:28 PM »
I'm like that with most gadgets, I find myself spending more time holding off for the next revision or update which is time that could be spent with the actual product :/

It's a lose-lose situation.  You either buy early and feel bad when the next thing is announced a month later or continue to hold off on buying it hoping there will be a magical 'perfect' version released.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #4269 on: March 03, 2010, 02:24:40 PM »
My boss has had to replace 2 kindles because the screens broke on both. One on a trip down the stairs(understandable) and the other was a drop from waist level. Apparently a Kindle screen is only rated to withstand a drop of less than 2 feet!! This is according to the Amazon support guy.
©ZH

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #4270 on: March 03, 2010, 05:48:49 PM »
Two feet?!

:bow Reading in bed

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:bow Midgets
[close]

elektrikluv

« Reply #4271 on: March 03, 2010, 05:50:50 PM »
I wish Amazon would just give us an inkling on when the next revision and/or price drop will be. Obviously not in their best interests to do so but still, this is killing me!

Himu

« Reply #4272 on: March 03, 2010, 05:57:41 PM »
So my Zune charger port is crooked.

They can't fix this can they? I should just get a new one I guess. Preferably a Zune hd.

[youtube=560,345]b11EF0x9G68 [/youtube]

:drool
IYKYK

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4273 on: March 03, 2010, 06:09:42 PM »
My logic prof. told an awesome story about meeting Saul Kripke today in class.  He actually used to the words "He can't sit still.  I mean he rocks back and forth like he should be wearing a helmet"  :lol

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #4274 on: March 03, 2010, 06:30:19 PM »
My logic prof. told an awesome story about meeting Saul Kripke today in class.  He actually used to the words "He can't sit still.  I mean he rocks back and forth like he should be wearing a helmet"  :lol
This seems to be common among nerds or anybody else who is concentrating very hard.  I saw a doc on Bill Gates/Microsoft and it showed him with some other engineers in a conference room brainstorming rocking back and forth like a metronome and the narrator mentioned how this habit was pretty common with software engineers.  I see the same thing during tests in chemistry and physics.  Maybe that's why they call it assburgers?

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #4275 on: March 03, 2010, 10:30:19 PM »
Soooo tired.  have work to do, but today was kind of an adrenaline rush all day.  had a reading assignment next week canceled, so I'm a just play some LTTP tonight and chill  8)

doing a kick ass job of staying on top of it this semester though. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4276 on: March 04, 2010, 12:34:40 PM »
Just when i thought The Critique of Pure Reason was getting easy again, it goes back to being a bitch :(

Powerslave

« Reply #4277 on: March 04, 2010, 01:15:09 PM »
:lol  I've done all those but the book one.

that one reminded me of the similar situation you had on the bus with some girl (iirc)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4278 on: March 04, 2010, 01:22:21 PM »
The only incident I had on a bus with a girl was one who commented on me reading Discipline and Punish by saying "You got to love Foucault."  And I didn't realize I was being talked to right away, so when I looked up there was this woman staring at me, and then it sunk in that she was talking to me, and instead of replying I just starred back like an asshole.  She promptly got off the bus.

Powerslave

« Reply #4279 on: March 04, 2010, 01:28:35 PM »
I remember you posting an incident where some girl was mentioning some writer or whatever to which you replied with "he sucks", thus eliminating the conversation immediately.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4280 on: March 04, 2010, 01:30:59 PM »
:lol ya that did happen.  And recently too.

Powerslave

« Reply #4281 on: March 04, 2010, 01:32:14 PM »
hence why I posted that pic :smug

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #4282 on: March 04, 2010, 02:40:57 PM »
i mean, i've been using my Droid as an e-reader recently and it's cool and it works.

but... dat e-ink man.
nat

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #4283 on: March 04, 2010, 06:23:40 PM »
My day was shit!
My 2nd support call to iphone tech support landed me a visit to the "genius bar" at the nearest apple store...... 2 hours away.  :yuck Fine, I leave work(since I need my phone for work) and hit the road. Half way there, I stop at a gas station to get some fuel and a snack. I buy a starbucks mocha double shot and hit the road. I drink the drink and things are great until I'm about 20 minutes to the mall. My stomach is all messed up and I pull over because I thought I had to puke. It doesn't happen so I get back in my car and get to the mall where the apple store is. I walk in and ask where the bathroom is. I get to the stall just in time as I have to go #2 very bad. I'm cleaning myself up and then I feel it coming up... stand up, turn around and puke into the toilet with my pants still around my ankles. Pretty muck like that South Park episode with Kenny's dad.  :lol

I collect myself and am now in the hunt for a bottle of water. I get the water and find the store and get in line. The tell me I'm early and to just hang out. I thought I was there to get a battery replacement but it didn't happen. What was done there I had already done with the exception of syncing all my shit back to it. During the visit, I had to go the bathroom 3 times because I was feeling sick. I leave the store and I just want to get home. The drive was agonizing. I had to pull over twice to hurl, but never did. My whole body was tingly like when your arm is half asleep. I'm never buying any pre-made shit from Starbucks ever again.

It was an awful day.  :yuck
©ZH

Bebpo

« Reply #4284 on: March 04, 2010, 06:27:27 PM »
I got invited to go to the Spirit Awards tomorrow, but I don't think sitting around with movie stars who I'm not going to talk to and who aren't my friends would be that interesting.  Gonna pass.

Moran

« Reply #4285 on: March 04, 2010, 06:34:13 PM »
I think father mike would actually really benefit from having some kind of everyday life wingman
why

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4286 on: March 04, 2010, 06:42:23 PM »
 :lol

An assistant for normal problems which normal people don't find to be problems.  That sounds great.   

ch1nchilla

« Reply #4287 on: March 04, 2010, 06:46:06 PM »
Sadly back in Oregon after the most outrageous weekend in Boulder, CO / Denver of all time. Back to Tokyo on Monday. The only thing I will say about Denver is...

03/01/10
CHECK CRD PURCHASE 02/27 ******* MOTEL DENVER CO ... $67.43

smh

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #4288 on: March 04, 2010, 07:18:34 PM »
Debating if I should get Uncharted 2 or Bad Company 2. Anyone got some advice to share? Should I just rent Uncharted 2?
Do you want to play online?  I would probably rent UC2 then.

ch1nchilla

« Reply #4289 on: March 04, 2010, 07:23:39 PM »
I would just rent UC2.

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #4290 on: March 04, 2010, 07:31:53 PM »
Debating if I should get Uncharted 2 or Bad Company 2. Anyone got some advice to share? Should I just rent Uncharted 2?

Sell your PS3 and get a 360, mayne.
PS4

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #4291 on: March 04, 2010, 07:35:29 PM »
This dude is deciding between PS3 games. It only writes itself
fat

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #4292 on: March 04, 2010, 07:41:01 PM »
Warhawk?  Isn't that the game that was supposed to be a real game but ended up just being some weird online thing with no single player component? :smug
PS4

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #4293 on: March 04, 2010, 07:59:48 PM »
mmm, adding an egg to ramen really does make it a shitload better.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #4294 on: March 04, 2010, 08:01:29 PM »
Do you want to play online?  I would probably rent UC2 then.
Online is important. Is UC2 online junk or something?
I hadn't planned on getting BC2 on the PS3.
I don't know if UC2 online is bad but I doubt a lot of people still play it.  BC2 is mp-centric and UC2 is the other way around tho.   I'm pretty sure BC2 is a decent port on the PS3 also.

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #4295 on: March 04, 2010, 08:11:50 PM »
Warhawk?  Isn't that the game that was supposed to be a real game but ended up just being some weird online thing with no single player component? :smug

It did indeed have a single player campaign at one point but it looked like the online stuff with A.I. bots (no real overall storyline or anything). The game is really fun and for $15 (including the booster packs) it's a great buy.

It was a launch title, wasn't it?  Are there still people playing it?
PS4

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #4296 on: March 04, 2010, 08:49:31 PM »
When do you add the egg?
fat

etiolate

« Reply #4297 on: March 04, 2010, 10:10:07 PM »
LTTP: Late to the Protest

The protest started at 4:30 am, but I showed up at 2pm, well after the action had dwindled down. By the time I got there it was a mellow hippie vibe. I found a classmate and talked to her about how it went earlier in the day. She said she had been there since the start at 4:30am. She informed me that the action was heaviest around 9pm. I asked if there were any confrontations and she said told me that cars were trying to drive through the students gathered across the entrance. A couple students actually got hit by cars. She mentioned one foot injury. A couple cars got dented from this, one car got its back window smashed. I'll trust her word on this. She told me there was an assembly at 5pm and that I should check that out.

Some initial shots walking up to the picket lines. By now the police had decided to shut off the roads. The TV stations had set up by now as well.

I asked about this slug, assuming that he was strung up along the picket line. Classmate said she wasn't around when he had been dropped and left to the ground. The slug's day only gets worse.

For some reason, even though the admin staff and faculty knew this was coming and had been prepared to just not have campus in session, the Campus decided that the Arboretum aka Flower Shop was important to keep open and ordered the employees to show up. So an announcement was made for some people to go help create another line at there, so I followed them, then proceeded the rest of the way from there to the other campus entrance. The arboretum is about halfway between the front and side entrance.

These are assembly photos. The threads of the rope of people that had been strung along to shut down the campus were beginning to unwind in different directions. The slug was doing no better.

You'll notice some children in these photos. There are two factors for this: One, the students with family who were protesting the cost of Family Housing. These were mostly gathered at the side entrance. Two, neighbors were taking their kids out on a walk to the protest, like a fun little outing.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 10:12:34 PM by etiolate »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4298 on: March 04, 2010, 10:22:17 PM »
Did your picket sign say "I warn you!"?

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #4299 on: March 05, 2010, 02:08:26 AM »
You should have gone to Oakland to see those protesters blocking off a highway ramp get zipped with pepper balls.

etiolate

« Reply #4300 on: March 05, 2010, 02:18:10 AM »
I heard about that. A handful here went downtown afterwards, but I didn't bother to see what became of them. Davis students were attempting to block I-80 but got turned back by police.

Green Shinobi

« Reply #4301 on: March 05, 2010, 03:00:56 AM »
Your banana slug mascot is so fucking cute!  :-[

I was a Gaucho. Not much to do with that. Just a bunch of dudes wearing sombreros.

Powerslave

« Reply #4302 on: March 05, 2010, 05:12:34 AM »
goddamnit so many pics for me to scroll past

Green Shinobi

« Reply #4303 on: March 05, 2010, 06:21:24 AM »
Just wanted to announce that I am going to be banging a 19 year old tonight. I am 25. Should be good times.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 06:50:23 AM by Green Shinobi »

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #4304 on: March 05, 2010, 07:16:27 AM »
Banging former students, Green Shinobi?  Stay classy.
PS4

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4305 on: March 05, 2010, 11:51:48 AM »

Co-sign this powerful post. Also use less of the flavoring packet and add some minced garlic and some chives. I know people who also add steamed vegetables.
Fry the noodles in some olive oil after you boil it and then add the packet.  or as I prefer, make your own chicken or beef bullion.  But only put a little in there.  Just enough to flavor the noodles.  Don't make it float.  Especially if you're using the packet.

Things to add?  Spam.  Egg.  Real pieces of beef or chicken. 

Powerslave

« Reply #4306 on: March 05, 2010, 12:01:55 PM »
Hey Zero Hero, I heard Between The Buried And Me. It was pretty decent actually.

Translation: It sucked but I didn't want to hurt your feelings.

Powerslave

« Reply #4307 on: March 05, 2010, 12:18:39 PM »

All the others were OK, but nothing special IMO.

Translation: All the others sucked. Also fuck you Zero Hero.

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #4308 on: March 05, 2010, 12:19:11 PM »
My friends got all offended because I don't wanna watch alice in wonderland with them, I need to get some new friends.
Drunk

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #4309 on: March 05, 2010, 12:51:41 PM »
Colors is the best album by Between the Buried and Me. Their latest one is good but it feels less ambitious and creative than Colors. Colors is fucking awesome.
nat

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4310 on: March 05, 2010, 02:41:42 PM »
I'll be having sex with a 24 year old today.  I'm 23.

Powerslave

« Reply #4311 on: March 05, 2010, 02:42:03 PM »
Sex is overrated. I can't believe people are still having sex in this day and age, you'd think human kind would have evolved past that primitive activity by now but it's 2010 and people are still having sex with each other.

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #4312 on: March 05, 2010, 03:31:06 PM »
for such a hustler, he married quite young.

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #4313 on: March 05, 2010, 03:44:02 PM »
The weather have been pretty awesome this week, gray skies but no rain, cold air and absolutely no sun.
Drunk

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #4314 on: March 05, 2010, 03:44:06 PM »

Co-sign this powerful post. Also use less of the flavoring packet and add some minced garlic and some chives. I know people who also add steamed vegetables.
Fry the noodles in some olive oil after you boil it and then add the packet.  or as I prefer, make your own chicken or beef bullion.  But only put a little in there.  Just enough to flavor the noodles.  Don't make it float.  Especially if you're using the packet.

Things to add?  Spam.  Egg.  Real pieces of beef or chicken. 

drinking the broth is the best part!  

I need to get me some shin ramyun.

Brehvolution

« Reply #4315 on: March 05, 2010, 03:46:03 PM »
Colors is the best album by Between the Buried and Me. Their latest one is good but it feels less ambitious and creative than Colors. Colors is fucking awesome.

I love them both. I like the way TGM is structured like a roller coaster ride.
©ZH

elektrikluv

« Reply #4316 on: March 05, 2010, 09:10:28 PM »
For some reason I thought Rob Thomas was older.

Me too, and I've been speaking to him for a few years now!

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4317 on: March 05, 2010, 09:12:58 PM »
I feel so old. :-\
PSP

Moran

« Reply #4318 on: March 05, 2010, 10:05:15 PM »
It's impossible to find a nice jacket/tshirt here, I've almost completely worn out everything I own :lol I've just moved to Sydney so any boritos know of some good (cheapish) clothing stores here? Or online stores that ship here?
why

Green Shinobi

« Reply #4319 on: March 06, 2010, 12:36:07 AM »
Mups is two years younger than me, but infinitely wiser.  :-\

Things went well with that 19 year old though.  8)