Author Topic: Official Thread of Flogging the Log: A Place for Better Random Talk  (Read 555705 times)

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Re: Official Thread of Flogging the Log: A Place for Better Random Talk
« Reply #1320 on: December 11, 2009, 02:39:29 AM »
Edit: also, you're right about checking the ego. I've been trying to do that. It's just hard to look at a film like Stealth or Ecks vs Sever and not think "I could write circles around the guy who wrote that." But I know that there are a lot more things that go into making a crappy movie than the talent/ability of the screenwriter.

Thinking like this will only drive you nuts, and never advance you career. Those guys all likely paid their dues, and who is to say that a dozen script doctors and ghost writers didn't permanently damage a solid story that existed as written in their original draft? I find it pretty difficult to get angry writers, unless they're complete big shots with a lot of control (Orci and Kurtzman, David Koepp, etc.) because it's rare we get the whole story about the screen writing process.

Plus, you just have to come to grips with the fact that you will be overlooked in favor of total garbage the vast majority of the time.

And I'm at a point in my career where even if I truly hated something, I'd bite my tongue. Even if The Book of Eli sucks, I'd still go on GAF and go, "Great job, Gary. It was really... interesting."

(Interesting is Hollywood code word for "it sucked".)
PSP

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
« Reply #1321 on: December 11, 2009, 02:41:24 AM »

(Interesting is Hollywood code word for "it sucked".)

Hollywood is British now?
brb

Robo

« Reply #1322 on: December 11, 2009, 02:43:20 AM »
I imagine the screenwriter life is basically Barton Fink, except with a little bit more homoerotic wrestling and fascism.
obo

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #1323 on: December 11, 2009, 02:45:54 AM »
I imagine the screenwriter life is basically Barton Fink, except with a little bit more homoerotic wrestling and fascism.

Pretty much true.

Quote from: Rebiak
Hollywood is British now?

Hasn't Hollywood always stolen from the best?

... I was actually remarking that if I'm ever in a position to do interviews, I'm totally not going to do the whole Hollywood writer thing where they talk about how stuff is an "inspiration" to them and they had to write in a "homage".

Just say you ripped it off. I'd literally say, "Inspired by? No, I just stole it. I mean, I'm a hack and that is a way better film, so I felt I should probably steal from that."
PSP

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #1324 on: December 11, 2009, 09:50:41 AM »
With a film like Terminator 3, it was unlikely they were the only writers on the project. And I can tell you that initial reports said the first draft of Terminator Salavation was better than the end result, which changed when Bale was brought on board and demanded massive re-writes to support his character.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 02:20:30 PM by Willco »
PSP

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #1325 on: December 11, 2009, 01:52:28 PM »
nothing like a 3 and a half hour exam on no sleep.

Ganhyun

• Used to worship Muckhole. Now worships Robo.
« Reply #1326 on: December 11, 2009, 01:52:57 PM »

Hope u did good on it.
XDF

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #1327 on: December 11, 2009, 02:47:01 PM »

sounds fun.  I don't know how some people do that (without drugs.) 

3 days straight of studying torts - torts exam monday.  followed by about 3 and a half days studying property and preparing a binder for the open note/open-book test for property.  I should be able to pass them both with Cs.

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #1328 on: December 11, 2009, 02:48:56 PM »
I have my civil procedures exam on Monday and then my corporate exam is on Wednesday. Kill me.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #1329 on: December 11, 2009, 05:57:56 PM »
I'm going to blow my normal nutrition goals tomorrow.
PSP

Bebpo

« Reply #1330 on: December 11, 2009, 08:09:48 PM »
I don't know what your goals are but I just had a brownie w/mint chocolate chip ice cream on top and it was goooood.

...I should study.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #1331 on: December 11, 2009, 08:13:06 PM »
I usually only have a beer or two, or maybe a glass of rum, on the weekends and shy away from most process foods. Attending the family party tomorrow, and that's going to go right out the window.
PSP

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #1332 on: December 11, 2009, 08:20:59 PM »
I'm gonna stop drinking soda again, I'm sure that my face is fatter than last night.
Drunk

drew

• sy
« Reply #1333 on: December 11, 2009, 09:33:01 PM »
I'm gonna stop drinking pop again, I'm sure that my face is fatter than last night.

fixed

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1334 on: December 11, 2009, 09:34:37 PM »
My CD player was making awful noises and I fixed it with a few well placed slaps to its side.   8)  I feel handy.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1335 on: December 11, 2009, 09:41:19 PM »
I'ma going to ace my latin test tomorrow!  I can feel it.

Bebpo

« Reply #1336 on: December 12, 2009, 03:33:16 AM »
haha, my ex took me off her facebook and stopped following me on twitter because I guess, going by her latest twitter, she was upset that I never wrote her, called her, or did any other form of communication to her since we split up.

Bebpo

« Reply #1337 on: December 12, 2009, 03:34:44 AM »
oh and other girl lolz, one girl I wrote to on match the other day (in a silly light-hearted intro letter) wrote me back:

I'm looking for a serious relationship.  Are you looking for a serious relationship?

Well that ended that!  :lol

Bebpo

« Reply #1338 on: December 12, 2009, 03:37:54 AM »
And I've been reading a dozen PR outlines all night.  Still not really sure if I know anything.  I think the best way to learn this class before my test will be just doing practice multiple choice and learning why I get ones wrong that I do.

Also the PR class is kinda unfair imo.  50% of the class or more took the November MPRE 4 weeks ago mid-class.  So 50% of the class already studied this material to death a month ago.  They're gonna do well and fuck up the curve.

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
« Reply #1339 on: December 12, 2009, 04:56:22 AM »
I found a lump in my neck, I'm scared.
brb

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #1340 on: December 12, 2009, 06:47:18 AM »
 :-\

CrystalGemini

« Reply #1341 on: December 12, 2009, 07:13:38 AM »
I found a lump in my neck, I'm scared.
Don't worry.  Taking a tumor out is just like popping a pimple only slightly bigger.   Try not to fret. :)
O_O

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1342 on: December 12, 2009, 08:41:03 AM »
also, took my contracts final today. 

fuck law school, don't care if I fail out. 

Got evidence tomorrow morning

And I do care if I fail out--or get anything less than a B.

good jon for caring

also, I think I win some kind of rule 34 long shot contest for finding this picture:
http://www.midbrowart.com/layer1/nugal/masks01/image01.htm
 :nsfw

Holy crap. I assumed I burned all those negatives.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #1343 on: December 12, 2009, 09:08:26 AM »
Hey guys.

Took a week break from the boards out of ridiculous and distinguished mentally-challenged anger.  Unfortunately some of this spilled over into my work as well.  It is going to take a long time to rebuild those bridges I torched at my job, which I intend to start doing on Monday.

Probably the lowest point since I was 18 if I can recall.  Might need to look into therapy or something - this shit is simply unacceptable.  Therapy or not, I need to make a few critical changes...now.
🍆🍆

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #1344 on: December 12, 2009, 09:13:09 AM »
Double post:

If you google "flogging the log", lots of EB stuff comes up.  :lol

I just figured the title to a successor thread needs to be gayer than the one before it.  Since the last one was "Logging Logs," flogging the log just made sense to me.
🍆🍆

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #1345 on: December 12, 2009, 12:19:05 PM »
Sorry to hear that, T EXP. Good luck to you.

I just cleaned out my office/room. Yay!

I feel so professional now!
PSP

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #1346 on: December 12, 2009, 12:24:48 PM »
Sorry to hear that, T EXP. Good luck to you.

I just cleaned out my office/room. Yay!

[img]http://i46.tinypic.com/a44lxf.jpg[img]

I feel so professional now!

So that is where the magic happens?  :-*
©ZH

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #1347 on: December 12, 2009, 12:29:09 PM »
Is that a bottle of sake? :smug

Indeed! I have an unopened bottle from my summer trip. When I sell my first screenplay, I plan on opening it. Until then, it's kind of a daily inspiration to focus my energies on writing something decent, so I can drink the damn sake.

Quote from: Zero Hero
So that is where the magic happens?

Now that the three panel Street Fighter IV poster has been removed in favor of pre-production stuff and a dry erase board full of outlines, most definitely. :smug

EDIT: That push pin board is actually longer, and full of boring notes. Also not captured is the La-Z-Boy that faces the television. It's like a mini-studio!

P.P.S. Most of the art on the push pin board was drawn by muckhole!  :cancry
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 12:32:06 PM by Willco »
PSP

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #1348 on: December 12, 2009, 01:12:43 PM »
What happened dude, why the rage?

I really don't know.  Maybe that is where the therapy would come in at.  I'm at a good paying job but for some reason, I feel the need to keep shooting myself in the foot.  I didn't really screw up on any of the work but my people skills with my co-workers suffered greatly.  They still do stuff for me on occasion but I can hear them talking...

Which sucks because I never really had problems with people I worked with until this job, my first career job.  Yet I am all too willing to firebomb my career with the company.  Management definitely notices but at the same time, I received a raise, bonus pay, and great reviews.  Which puzzles me a bit but I came to that realization yesterday and it was very sobering.  I feel like a complete piece of shit and I'm not sure if I can resurrect things to the way they were at the beginning.  I'll do my best to try but if I can't, I understand completely.

As for the rage, it kept building for whatever reason but it seems blatantly clear now that I have some type of rage issue.  I need to fix this.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 01:14:21 PM by T EXP »
🍆🍆

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #1349 on: December 12, 2009, 01:16:48 PM »
What happened dude, why the rage?

I really don't know.  Maybe that is where the therapy would come in at.  I'm at a good paying job but for some reason, I feel the need to keep shooting myself in the foot.  I didn't really screw up on any of the work but my people skills with my co-workers suffered greatly.  They still do stuff for me on occasion but I can hear them talking...

Which sucks because I never really had problems with people I worked with until this job, my first career job.  Yet I am all too willing to firebomb my career with the company.  Management definitely notices but at the same time, I received a raise, bonus pay, and great reviews.  Which puzzles me a bit but I came to that realization yesterday and it was very sobering.  I feel like a complete piece of shit and I'm not sure if I can resurrect things to the way they were at the beginning.  I'll do my best to try but if I can't, I understand completely.

It's good that you're recognizing that stuff before it gets out of hand.  Maybe you can apologize to your co-workers?  If that's awkward, then just start doing little things for the people you think are the most pissed.  If you can calm down and fly straight for a few weeks, it'll be back to normal.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1350 on: December 12, 2009, 06:47:50 PM »
latin final went well!

Bebpo

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #1352 on: December 12, 2009, 07:21:11 PM »
So far today has been pretty crappy, and threw my studying plans off. I woke up this morning and realized the heat was off; went into the basement and saw the furnace wasn't working. So I took the bus to Home Depot, bought a thermocouple, and came back home. Fixed the furnace with no issues and I was feeling pretty awesome. My dad dropped the car off and I went shopping/running errands.

Then I get back home a few hours later and realize the ceiling of the first level is leaking. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with me turning the furnace heat up after I fixed it; it's a steam based boiler. Maybe the steam is seeping out of a pipe...which could be a major pain to fix. I've been investigating the wall and pipes for the last couple hours, waiting for my dad and uncle to get here. smh the last thing I want is a major fix-it project during finals weekend

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #1353 on: December 12, 2009, 08:09:42 PM »
Pepperoni stuffed Hot Pockets smell like straight up VOMIT. WOW.
:9

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1354 on: December 12, 2009, 09:16:51 PM »
Wilco I think you did a great job in answering the globe warming question!
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews_deca/ynews_deca_ts1018

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #1355 on: December 12, 2009, 09:21:41 PM »
Wilco I think you did a great job in answering the globe warming question!
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews_deca/ynews_deca_ts1018

Sounds like a euphemism to me.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1356 on: December 12, 2009, 09:50:58 PM »
FUUUUUUUU

Bebpo

« Reply #1357 on: December 12, 2009, 10:59:46 PM »
So my brother got STEAM today and is starting to play PC games on his laptop.  He's also starting to play more videogames and borrow more stuff from me.  I'm not sure how I feel about this. 

See he's always been a casual gamer that played like 3-4 games a year or something that I'd recommend to him.  But he had a longterm gf and dudebros and lots of social life drinkin and partying and stuff.  Which is good.  Then last month his 4-5+ year relationship gf who was living with him for the last few years left him and moved out.  Since then he's starting to get more into videogames.  He still hangs out with his dudebros and drinks and parties (moreso now that he's single), but I'm kind of worried about him letting videogames fill up the void of his now non-relationship.  I want him to get out there and meet another girl and stuff and I'm afraid if he gets too into videogames like me he'll hurt his chances of a normal life. 

So yeah, kinda cool seeing him get STEAM and enter the world of PC gaming, but I hope this isn't the start of an addiction that leaves him single.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1358 on: December 12, 2009, 11:03:46 PM »
Sounds fine to me. Don't interfere, you deal with your own suicidal girlfriends.
fat

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1359 on: December 12, 2009, 11:47:10 PM »
advise him to fill the void with anime and online dating failure

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #1360 on: December 13, 2009, 02:17:29 AM »
I'm going to try to trick my insomnia by going to sleep before sunrise today, waking up, hopefully, in the afternoon. I'll then pull an all-nighter tomorrow night and, when I take my exam at 9:00, I won't be sleep deprived.

Bebpo

« Reply #1361 on: December 13, 2009, 02:39:55 AM »
I don't even understand what you just said, but good luck with that.

My Agency & Partnership outline is coming along well.  It's so nice studying for a class where you actually took detailed notes of every case and holding and every rule.  Very easy to study from.  Especially compared to when you study for a class where you have no notes at all are just reading 60 page pre-made outlines and trying to somehow learn the material from multiple glances >_<

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #1362 on: December 13, 2009, 02:49:52 AM »
I don't even understand what you just said, but good luck with that.

I'm going to sleep during the day on Sunday; that way, I won't have to worry about trying to fall asleep the night before the exam.

My Agency & Partnership outline is coming along well.  It's so nice studying for a class where you actually took detailed notes of every case and holding and every rule.  Very easy to study from.  Especially compared to when you study for a class where you have no notes at all are just reading 60 page pre-made outlines and trying to somehow learn the material from multiple glances >_<

Going to class? Taking notes? Creating your own outlines?

No thanks.

muckhole

• AMBASSADOR
« Reply #1363 on: December 13, 2009, 02:53:35 AM »
P.P.S. Most of the art on the push pin board was drawn by muckhole!  :cancry

You should show them the pic I drew hanging over your bed of you as a centaur!
fek

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #1364 on: December 13, 2009, 02:54:33 AM »
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 03:08:00 AM by Harry Lime »

Himu

« Reply #1365 on: December 13, 2009, 03:08:15 AM »
[youtube=560,345]LACyLTsH4ac[/youtube]

"If Harry Potter were in the Old Testament, Harry Potter would have been PUT. TO. DEATH."

*adults clap*

*children stare blankly at the fat lady on the mic, as if depressed*

:lol

Anyone here ever go to church camp as a kid? You know those times when they ask you to write on a piece of paper, a sin you committed and to ask forgiveness for and they put it in a box?

When I did that, I was never able to come up with any sins I had done. Is that normal?
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1366 on: December 13, 2009, 03:11:31 AM »
Yes because you are just the perfect person Himuro!
fat

Himu

« Reply #1367 on: December 13, 2009, 03:22:55 AM »
You agree?
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1368 on: December 13, 2009, 04:11:56 AM »
I used to go to summer bible camps and tell the kids my name was Tommy - like the green ranger. People thought I was cool :bow

Moran

« Reply #1369 on: December 13, 2009, 05:37:57 AM »
So a friend of mine has been sucked into that whole MonaVie(?) scheme which is sad/annoying and pretty surprising really, guess book smarts aren't everything :-\

Worst part is she has turned into a walking advertisement for the cancer curing juice, a few friends tried to talk to her about it to at least get her to stop talking and constantly posting on her facebook about how great the miracle juice and it's business opportunities are but she just gives the monavie spiel and then gets seriously offended when facts are brought up. It's like trying to debate with those Obama = nazi/socialist loonies >:(

-hey how are ya?
~I'm GREAT, MonaVie has really changed my life you should really think about joining the monavie family!
- :cookiem

why

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #1370 on: December 13, 2009, 05:50:05 AM »
huh?

Moran

« Reply #1371 on: December 13, 2009, 06:03:28 AM »
Sorry I should have included a link :lol Been hearing about it so much lately it slipped my mind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MonaVie

why

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #1372 on: December 13, 2009, 07:56:22 AM »
A good friend of mine's sister is huge into Quixstar.  So much that she married a guy who is just as fanatical about it as she is.  She was very ambitious before but after, she wound up taking a low pay easy job so she had more time to devote to Quixstar and Quixstar related activities.
🍆🍆

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #1373 on: December 13, 2009, 08:14:10 AM »
Your first three posts are bout Monavie? :smug

Multi level marketing aka pyramid schemes have an uncanny ability to take over people's lives.
🍆🍆

Moran

« Reply #1374 on: December 13, 2009, 08:45:39 AM »
Your first three posts are bout Monavie? :smug

Only first two :-[

But yeah it's sad seeing it taking over her life and not really being able to do anything about it, never known anyone in a pyramid scheme before so it's weird seeing it happen.
why

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #1375 on: December 13, 2009, 09:44:45 AM »
A good friend of mine's sister is huge into Quixstar.  So much that she married a guy who is just as fanatical about it as she is.  She was very ambitious before but after, she wound up taking a low pay easy job so she had more time to devote to Quixstar and Quixstar related activities.
I have a second cousin that tried recruiting me into his Quixtar camp (all already knew about how much of a scam it is since they're headquarters are only an hour away from Kalamazoo). He is educated and I always respected him, but one night out of the blue he calls me and asks if he can come over and talk with me (it was late at night during the week). I thought it was weird because the guy lives over an hour away. So he comes and gives  me this whole pitch about how it creates wealth and he is going to retire in 10 years (he was only 35 or so). I knew what it was as soon as he opened his mouth, but I let him go on since he is family and like I said I looked up to this guy a bit since he was older, had a nice family, and was educated. He kept assuring me that it wasn't a pyramid scheme and that the guys that run the business are "systems geniuses" when I voiced a few concerns, telling me that "it just works". I told him I would think about it and he left me a video to watch along with some free products, which I tried to refuse. Anyways, I never watched the video and I threw out the product because of my moral opposition to their business model.

I honestly don't know how anyone could be suckered into these things. The only thing I can think of is how (at least in this case) they sell the company as a "good christian company" and sometimes people's hope for something clouds their judgment. The business my cousin was involved in was called TEAM. It took some digging to find out that they are actually a subsidiary of Amway/Quixtar. I haven't spoken much to the guy since, but I when I heard that he was trying to recruit my dad (who has a penchant to forget skepticism when it comes to family matters) and my 18 year old kid brother, I wrote up a pretty long paper on why they shouldn't join. Fucking sickening. And these companies actually tell you to try to recruit your family members first, and if you don't get rich they tell you that its your own fault and you need to buy more instructional videos, or whatever it is they make their money selling. I have no idea how these organizations are still legal 
jon

Bebpo

« Reply #1376 on: December 13, 2009, 04:04:11 PM »
I have to say my favorite thing about having a widescreen monitor is being able to view 2 pages at once in Word.  Better for writing/reading outlines/notes!

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #1377 on: December 13, 2009, 04:11:02 PM »
My step brother tried to get me to join his primaerica scam. Fuck that. I also had a teacher try to get me to join his pyradmid scheme thing.
USA

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #1378 on: December 13, 2009, 04:11:12 PM »
screw outlines, it's all about flash cards.  well, downloading other people's outlines and making flash cards out of them.

I feel kind of stupid going through my notes and briefs for the semester.  I spent so much time on shit I could have taught myself in about an hour. A lot of flesh and tears into reading cases closely, then feeling intimidated while profs went off on bullshit that I had no idea about, only to go back to an outline and read a two sentence summary in a treatise that sums it up in a second.

if I survive till next semester, I'm going to do things differently.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 04:16:33 PM by Kranz Fafka »

Bebpo

« Reply #1379 on: December 13, 2009, 04:16:59 PM »
Flash cards are alright, but that takes time to write them all!

If I actually take legit notes, then I just put them into a long outline .doc file and then I turn that into a short major points outline .txt file and I memorize the .txt while reading over the doc a bunch of a times so random facts will actually be recalled on the test.