Author Topic: Devil's Third (Itagaki's new game)  (Read 20303 times)

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
Re: Devil's Third (Itagaki's new game)
« Reply #120 on: June 12, 2010, 02:14:08 PM »
Jealousy doesn't suit you, Cohen.   :wag

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #121 on: June 12, 2010, 08:37:33 PM »
yawn

MrSingh

• 360 Rajah
« Reply #122 on: June 12, 2010, 11:18:40 PM »
Oh darn. Looks like Itagaki had to compromise on his vision because of the PS3 version.

:piss RSX  :piss2
8=D

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #123 on: June 13, 2010, 09:06:04 AM »
Oh darn. Looks like Itagaki had to compromise on his vision because of the PS3 version.

:piss RSX  :piss2

Ps3 exclusives look better than X360 exclusives. Do the math.  :smug

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #124 on: June 13, 2010, 11:49:30 AM »
99% of games made by the same developers look better on the X360.  Do the math. :smug

Ninja

« Reply #125 on: June 13, 2010, 12:16:47 PM »
The trailer look like he took Ninja Gaiden, added in some third-person shooter gameplay to appeal to westerners and rendered it all in visuals that look like Cavia circa 2006.
wat

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #126 on: June 13, 2010, 12:37:56 PM »
Eh, the game is 10% complete and 2 years off. Visuals are the last thing they're worried about right now. It looked rough but I'm sure it will be looking good by the time it's released.
BiSH

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #127 on: June 13, 2010, 12:47:37 PM »
Poor Itagaki has to make compromises to have his game on 360. Sucks for him he can't develop for the graphically superior console :smug:
USA

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #128 on: June 23, 2010, 04:15:25 AM »
Danny Bilson: [Following conversation off-call] Yeah I don't mind. Very roughly - we haven't announced any kind of date - but you can imagine it's roughly two years from now. Roughly.

Fuck this.

He could mean that as 2010 being the first year and 2011 being the second and it releasing sometime next year.

It would be incredibly foolish of them to launch this in 2012.
:teehee

:piss The Worst Poster Ever :piss2
cat

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #129 on: June 23, 2010, 04:26:39 AM »
Why the F would you show something two years out in such a cruddy state of disarray

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #130 on: June 23, 2010, 04:40:54 AM »
Probably a THQ thing.

Or maybe he was drunk and said yes yes show them everything
cat

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #131 on: June 23, 2010, 08:52:28 AM »
There's a game coming out called "Space Marine"? LOL, I hope that it's an ironic parody or something...
^_^

ch1nchilla

« Reply #132 on: June 24, 2010, 01:57:57 AM »
:lol THQ

Herr Mafflard

« Reply #133 on: May 28, 2011, 07:42:01 AM »

http://gamingeverything.com/?p=4892
Devil’s Third teaser/behind the scenes video shows game will be featured at TGS

batshit 'behind the scenes' video (no gameplay, just Hard Gay looking for Itagaki) -- warning tho, slightly nsfw

Razor Ramon Hard Gay :bow2

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #134 on: May 28, 2011, 08:51:42 AM »
There's a game coming out called "Space Marine"? LOL, I hope that it's an ironic parody or something...

it's War Hammer - Space Marine

this guy here
<----

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #135 on: May 28, 2011, 09:31:59 AM »
working hard on it = itagaki getting laid

oh u devil

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #136 on: May 28, 2011, 08:38:56 PM »
working hard on it = itagaki getting laid

oh u devil

while the slaves are coding away.  :lol

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #137 on: May 15, 2012, 05:21:07 PM »
game is never ever releasing.

Stolen from a GAF thread.

@patrickklepek: THQ "in discussion" with other companies regarding Itagaki's Devil's Third. No longer "fits THQ's profile."”
Quote:
Jim Reilly ‏ @jimreilly
The future of Devil's Third is up in the air.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #138 on: May 15, 2012, 05:25:35 PM »
"THQ's profile" = "games that will not lose a ton of money"
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #139 on: May 15, 2012, 05:48:35 PM »
Game seemed like it was in dev hell anyways.  Itagaki should go work on Rising.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #140 on: May 15, 2012, 05:57:05 PM »
Game seemed like it was in dev hell anyways.  Itagaki should go work on Rising.

Or pull a "DOA4" and release the game for the next Xbox and Playstation systems instead.
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #141 on: May 15, 2012, 06:13:55 PM »
I don't even understand when they announced it and said it was 4 years away or something.  How do you even plan to have that long of dev cycle from the start?  Why spend that much time on a new game idea that might not even pan out?  Game should have been out by now.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #142 on: May 15, 2012, 06:36:01 PM »
I don't even understand when they announced it and said it was 4 years away or something.  How do you even plan to have that long of dev cycle from the start?  Why spend that much time on a new game idea that might not even pan out?  Game should have been out by now.

They shouldn't even have announced it until they had something cool to show that was real. Not a phony trailer.

Same with that Insane title.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #143 on: May 15, 2012, 06:38:23 PM »
Farrell noted in the call to investors this evening that THQ was currently in discussions with third-parties regarding Tomonobu Itagaki’s Devil’s Third which he said no longer “fits THQ’s profile.” The driving force for this, according to Farrell, was loss of profitability due to two “unforeseen development events.”

One of these unforeseen events was that the company which provided Valhalla with the game engine went out of business. THQ had to help Itagaki and Valhalla with procuring a new engine “which cost a fair amount of money,” said Farrell.

The second reason was the current Yen and Dollar conversion rates. Both contributed to the loss of profitability, despite Devil’s Third being an “excellent franchise.”

Farrell said THQ has enjoyed working with Itagaki and will do what it can to make sure the game comes to the market – albeit through a third-party.

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #144 on: May 15, 2012, 06:38:31 PM »
2010? goddamn this thread is old
<----

« Reply #145 on: May 15, 2012, 06:48:28 PM »
I think the game will find a pub, but it's not a hot prospect wherever it lands, so I doubt THQ is going to get a good deal for it.  I can see EA picking it up with Activision making a bid for no other reason than to make EA pay more.  S-E might bite too.  idk.
ǚ

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #146 on: May 15, 2012, 06:49:57 PM »
Maybe Nintendo will pick it up! :omg
dog

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #147 on: May 15, 2012, 07:51:26 PM »
Yeah, they showed this way way WAY too early.

Also, this game will probably not make money for THQ. Will be interesting to see who picks it up if at all.

Takao

« Reply #148 on: May 15, 2012, 08:14:23 PM »
Is MS gave a shit about Japanese games I'd see them picking it up. But they don't so yeah.

Takao

« Reply #149 on: May 15, 2012, 11:24:17 PM »
Can't see why a publisher with a particular interest in the Japanese market would back Itagaki.  His games sell way better in America.  In Japan, he's Suda51 levels of irrelevant.

I didn't mean MGS should pick it up because it'll make 360 less irrelevant in Japan, but because Itagaki is cool and it would be cool for MGS to not just publish the dreaded Forza, Kinect, Fable, Halo, Gears team. It's just clear that MGS isn't interested in pushing Japanese games.

Takao

« Reply #150 on: May 16, 2012, 12:27:41 AM »
I guess to be fair to MGS they did push the last relevant in the west Japanese game on their platform ... Final Fantasy XIII.

It has been a bad generation.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #151 on: May 16, 2012, 04:33:09 AM »
maaaybe for 720 launch game,360 no chance

meh
cat

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #152 on: May 16, 2012, 05:04:57 AM »
Devil's Third what?
QED

Himu

« Reply #153 on: May 16, 2012, 01:16:36 PM »
triple a :rofl
IYKYK

wrowa

« Reply #154 on: May 16, 2012, 03:28:00 PM »
I hope for THQ's sake that someone is going to pick the game up, but quite frankly: I can't imagine it. Itagaki is pretty much nothing but a relict of the last generation. His action games never have been popular in Japan, and his style of game isn't popular in the US anymore either. Devil's Third will face the same fate most of the other western-focused Japanese games suffered this generation; why would anyone want to bother with it?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #155 on: May 19, 2012, 12:20:38 PM »
Valhalla running a four-year dev'd game is not the same as one of the 400 person studios running a four-year game. How many Japanese studios are that large? Not many, I think.

Farrell noted in the call to investors this evening that THQ was currently in discussions with third-parties regarding Tomonobu Itagaki’s Devil’s Third which he said no longer “fits THQ’s profile.” The driving force for this, according to Farrell, was loss of profitability due to two “unforeseen development events.”

One of these unforeseen events was that the company which provided Valhalla with the game engine went out of business. THQ had to help Itagaki and Valhalla with procuring a new engine “which cost a fair amount of money,” said Farrell.

The second reason was the current Yen and Dollar conversion rates. Both contributed to the loss of profitability, despite Devil’s Third being an “excellent franchise.”

Farrell said THQ has enjoyed working with Itagaki and will do what it can to make sure the game comes to the market – albeit through a third-party.

TL;DR version: Anything which costs money is no longer in THQ's profile.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #156 on: June 23, 2016, 07:39:49 PM »
http://www.polygon.com/2016/6/23/12015864/devils-third-online-service-discontinuing-date

Nintendo will discontinue network connectivity features for Devil's Third, Valhalla Studios' Wii U exclusive according to a notice on its customer support site. Ahead of disconnecting the game's online service on Dec. 28 at 8 p.m. PT, the company will sell the digital version at half price on the eShop; Devil's Third now costs $29.99.

Downloadable content will no longer be sold beginning June 27 at 9 a.m. PT. The Golden Egg add-ons were priced between $3.99 and $19.99 and could be traded for various weapon enhancements and cosmetic items.

Devil's Third only made it stateside last December, despite launching in August 2015 in other territories. Nintendo of America first announced it would publish the game in 2014, but the stayed quiet on its release before announcing the release date that July.

Originally set to be published by THQ, Devil's Third spent years in development at Valhalla, the studio formed by former Team Ninja member Tomonobu Itagaki. Once THQ declared bankruptcy, Itagaki regained the rights to the game, and it switched platforms from Xbox 360 to Wii U in the process. Once the game finally made it stateside, it wasn't exactly well-received — Polygon included it on our "Worst Games of 2015" round-up.

A free-to-play, multiplayer-only version is set for a Windows PC release, although it remains unscheduled.

kick51

« Reply #157 on: June 23, 2016, 08:07:21 PM »
The sp is laughably bad, but the online had potential.  Too bad it's fucked by being on the Wii U on one end with shit framerate and community and, on PC, F2P + prob pay to win, while also fucked by launching post-Overwatch in the west (if it launches at all.)   The few murmurs I've heard about development is that it was a complete mess internally, even without THQ/engine problems, and that Valhalla is sketchy.  Not too surprising considering they somehow just expanded with an office in BC. 

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #158 on: June 23, 2016, 08:59:47 PM »
The pee icing on the shit sandwich.
ど助平

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #159 on: June 24, 2016, 02:22:20 PM »
©@©™

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #160 on: June 24, 2016, 02:37:47 PM »
 :lol
ど助平