Author Topic: What book(s) are you reading?  (Read 684395 times)

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
Re: What book(s) are you reading?
« Reply #1800 on: December 09, 2012, 08:19:54 PM »
I thought you read those ages ago!
vjj

Robo

« Reply #1801 on: December 09, 2012, 08:23:02 PM »
Read through The Informers last week.  Can't get enough of Ellis (though I suspect that might change when I get around to reading Lunar Park.)

Considering watching the movie . . .
obo

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #1802 on: December 09, 2012, 09:14:38 PM »
I thought you read those ages ago!

Sometimes I like to re-read stuff especially if my interest in certain subjects flares up again.
🍆🍆

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1803 on: December 09, 2012, 09:21:08 PM »
ah yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Both of those are pretty dense with new info for most people so you'll definitely gain a lot from re-reading it after some time digesting it/reading other material in the same field/observing how people around you eat + exercise etc

So, just how many pounds did you pack on playing Steam games then
vjj

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #1804 on: December 09, 2012, 09:32:06 PM »
ah yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Both of those are pretty dense with new info for most people so you'll definitely gain a lot from re-reading it after some time digesting it/reading other material in the same field/observing how people around you eat + exercise etc

So, just how many pounds did you pack on playing Steam games then

I wound up gaining 50 pounds from arguably the most in shape period of my life.  Then I dropped 30 pounds in a month and a half.  Then I gained it all back plus 10 to where I'm at now at 220 lbs.

I worked a lot of hours and my employer brought in a lot of really shitty food.  Then I had a lot of lunches and dinners which of course consisted of shit.  No time for a gym so the 12+ years of hard work are currently being squandered away.  I'm trying to fix a lot of this; I had a week off of work so I've been getting back to basics here.
🍆🍆

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1805 on: December 09, 2012, 09:39:09 PM »
Flipping through the books is a good way to remind yourself to stay on track, I think. Even if you have already absorbed most of the info. Even just the weekly Paleo Solution podcast being in my iTunes is a good reminder, I find. (this is why people go to Church every Sunday too, I guess)
vjj

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #1806 on: December 09, 2012, 09:41:27 PM »
I should subscribe to that as well.  I listen to Podcasts during my work day.  Would definitely keep me thinking about what I eat during the day.
🍆🍆

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #1807 on: December 09, 2012, 10:50:06 PM »

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1808 on: December 09, 2012, 10:53:01 PM »
I should subscribe to that as well.  I listen to Podcasts during my work day.  Would definitely keep me thinking about what I eat during the day.

Some good stuff out there. Also recommend the BioJacked podcast (not on iTunes though, booo. You have to google for it and listen via SoundCloud). That one is pretty close to your goals I'd guess - focus is on getting ripped, mostly. Some fantastic info in there. The Chris Kresser one is also good, with the focus being health and wellness...
vjj

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #1809 on: December 10, 2012, 07:14:03 AM »
I enjoy The Latest in Paleo quite a bit.  Angelo Coppola does a pretty good job of just collecting general info from all over the place, so it's a good synthesis of many topics going around the community without having to actually endure the community (which I found almost impossible to do).
Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1810 on: December 10, 2012, 09:41:06 AM »
Death Sentences was damn good.  Damn, damn good. 

I'm now reading Meg Abbot's Dare Me which is about cheerleaders in a series of escalations amongst each other eventually murder someone.  Heavenly Creatures without the weirdness

Tonya

« Reply #1811 on: December 10, 2012, 11:28:00 AM »

75% done. Very well written, but I'm eagerly awaiting its end so I can move on to something lighter and totally unbelievable.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1812 on: December 10, 2012, 09:37:39 PM »
I've read half of Dare Me today. 

It's really quite engrossing.
Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1813 on: December 11, 2012, 09:59:20 AM »
So I actually finished Dare Me last night and it is really really good.  It's basically a look at teenage girls which avoids both the "princess" stereotype and the "mean girls" stereotype while dealing with cheerleaders.  These are female characters who are fully realized with agency and are also, at times, really cruel to one another.  Basically a good look at teenage life in general, at least how I remember it, and it makes me so very glad that I do not have daughters.  Super Duper recommended
Tonya

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1814 on: December 16, 2012, 12:29:04 AM »
So, yeah, I decided to pick up a book from the Gor fantasy series today because it was one dollar and, hey, it might be good for a few laughs. It was actually the 18th in the series, maybe there's even more than that, I don't really know, but it probably doesn't matter. Well...uh...WOW. It was far worse than I thought was ever possible. You know, people accuse the Conan stories of being misogynist, and that's not an unfair claim, but this book ratchets that up to truly inconceivable heights.

The bulk of that angle centers around female slavery. Basically, taking women and humiliating them in the worst ways possible before collaring them and making them into sex slaves for men. There's not really anything new about that with the low-rent barbarian fantasy genre, except that it's not the bad guys doing that. It's EVERY man, including the "hero," aka Gor the dude from Earth. The book is in first-person, so obviously the narrator doesn't have any problems with that. He yammers constantly about how cool it is to enslave women. But it gets worse. The few named female characters in this story [there aren't many] all act like becoming a sex slave to a man is the greatest thing that's ever happened to them, including the one woman that was kidnapped from Earth. See, she was a slave back on Earth and didn't know it. Being a REAL slave is so liberating! Also, Gor, the hero, uses a naked woman as bait to try to catch some wild animal at one point in the story. Any slave that doesn't please her master is useless, and worthy only of being left behind to die in the wilderness.

The worst part is that the writing is so painfully bad and the dialogue is stilted, repetitive, and so, so dull. 90% of the story is just people talking on and on [which is mostly comprised of men talking about enslaving women and women talking about how great it is to be a sex slave] and there's much repetition within all that dialogue. Most of the lines of dialogue are just a few words that get repeated over and over, but sometimes there's a big long speech but it's still just the same stuff repeated over and over [again, generally about female slavery]. I tried reading some of it, but, like, nothing actually happened. NOTHING. It was just Gor treating women like dirt for 450 pages. Maybe a monster showed up, but why bother wading through a million pages of slop to find out if one ever does? Even within the realm of low-rent barbarian fantasy, the writing is really low. It makes Robert E. Howard read like Pulitzer Prize-winning fiction.

And it doesn't even have any good sex scenes. The story always cuts away before anything actually happens. Shame on you, John Norman.
dog

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1815 on: December 16, 2012, 02:34:23 AM »
So, yeah, I decided to pick up a book from the Gor fantasy series today because it was one dollar and, hey, it might be good for a few laughs.

huah huah huah huah huah

it was.

just not yours
Tonya

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1816 on: December 16, 2012, 12:37:53 PM »
At least I'll be able to sleep at night knowing that not one cent of that $1 will ever make its way to John Norman's wallet.
dog

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1817 on: December 16, 2012, 12:58:24 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorean

that should help you sleep at night
Tonya

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1818 on: December 16, 2012, 07:25:38 PM »
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #1819 on: December 17, 2012, 10:52:22 PM »
I'm going to read this with the book club:

And life just got more difficult because I just found out about this and bought it:

That book is co-written by my favorite author and I didn't know he released it nearly a year ago.  I have no choice but to read it.
WTF

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1820 on: December 18, 2012, 07:25:39 AM »
I wrapped Dark Heart of the Appalachian Trail yesterday. The marketing is far different than the actual book.  The book jacket makes it sound like it's going to be about people trying to solve a mystery but it's actually a grim character study which takes a turn for the lolwhut in the final 20 pages.  it's really well written with fairly good characters.  suffers from being white as hell though.

started We Think The World of you by the author of My Dog Tulip last night and got about half-way through it.  It's about a gay man who tries to care for his lover's dog while he's in prison and has to deal with his lover's family (like his mother and father....and his wife and child).  The introduction assures me this is a hilarious social satire but it's really like if Woody Allen made a movie where he's forced to deal with a lower social strata for the entire film.  I don't know if it's ignorance of class situations or what but this isn't really "funny" to me.  It's just a neurotic homosexual exasperated at all these cockneys.   
Tonya

Robo

« Reply #1821 on: December 18, 2012, 08:24:55 PM »
I'm reading a novelization of some videogame.  It's whatever.
obo

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1822 on: December 19, 2012, 03:04:23 AM »
So, yeah, I decided to pick up a book from the Gor fantasy series today because it was one dollar and, hey, it might be good for a few laughs. It was actually the 18th in the series, maybe there's even more than that, I don't really know, but it probably doesn't matter. Well...uh...WOW. It was far worse than I thought was ever possible. You know, people accuse the Conan stories of being misogynist, and that's not an unfair claim, but this book ratchets that up to truly inconceivable heights.

The bulk of that angle centers around female slavery. Basically, taking women and humiliating them in the worst ways possible before collaring them and making them into sex slaves for men. There's not really anything new about that with the low-rent barbarian fantasy genre, except that it's not the bad guys doing that. It's EVERY man, including the "hero," aka Gor the dude from Earth. The book is in first-person, so obviously the narrator doesn't have any problems with that. He yammers constantly about how cool it is to enslave women. But it gets worse. The few named female characters in this story [there aren't many] all act like becoming a sex slave to a man is the greatest thing that's ever happened to them, including the one woman that was kidnapped from Earth. See, she was a slave back on Earth and didn't know it. Being a REAL slave is so liberating! Also, Gor, the hero, uses a naked woman as bait to try to catch some wild animal at one point in the story. Any slave that doesn't please her master is useless, and worthy only of being left behind to die in the wilderness.

The worst part is that the writing is so painfully bad and the dialogue is stilted, repetitive, and so, so dull. 90% of the story is just people talking on and on [which is mostly comprised of men talking about enslaving women and women talking about how great it is to be a sex slave] and there's much repetition within all that dialogue. Most of the lines of dialogue are just a few words that get repeated over and over, but sometimes there's a big long speech but it's still just the same stuff repeated over and over [again, generally about female slavery]. I tried reading some of it, but, like, nothing actually happened. NOTHING. It was just Gor treating women like dirt for 450 pages. Maybe a monster showed up, but why bother wading through a million pages of slop to find out if one ever does? Even within the realm of low-rent barbarian fantasy, the writing is really low. It makes Robert E. Howard read like Pulitzer Prize-winning fiction.

And it doesn't even have any good sex scenes. The story always cuts away before anything actually happens. Shame on you, John Norman.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorean

that should help you sleep at night

I met a woman in college who was into this scene. She was, um, going with this older guy, a lawyer. The lawyer was in an open marriage, and his wife was also into the Gor scene. The three of them wanted me to join into their scene; it was not something I was interested in. :eep

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1823 on: December 19, 2012, 03:35:34 AM »
sounds 50 Shades of Gay
vjj

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1824 on: December 19, 2012, 12:18:59 PM »
Finished We Think The World of you.  I like the ending as the author scrambles for an overreaching theme and managed to tack on something that makes you actually reconsider all you'd read before, but as this is literally a coda that goes on for 20 pages it feels really divorced from what came before.

am now reading Victor Serge's Conquered City which is about St Petersburg immediately following the October Revolution and about the terrors of flushing out dissidents and counter-revolutionaries.  It's pro-revolution but anti-Stalin (by a dude who was hounded to his death by Stalinists in Mexico) so it should be an interesting read.  It's set up as a series of vignettes which tell an overreaching story. 
Tonya

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #1825 on: December 19, 2012, 04:05:41 PM »

"finished" this recently, and I have finished in quotes there because the appendix serves as a resource by ordering the various rules as needed to implement them in your own exercises.

The book approaches the idea of effective practice from every angle- helping others practice, practicing on your own, taking feedback, and how to put that feedback to your practice routines. It also frequently points out how NOT to do all of those things- sometimes being told how to do something incorrectly is as important as being told how to do it well IMO. So thumbs up n all that.
o_0

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1826 on: December 19, 2012, 07:32:12 PM »
man, your Diablo III game is gonna be so killer now
vjj

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #1827 on: December 19, 2012, 07:33:30 PM »
hah, it's actually more for work- last thing you want to do is stop learning in the tech industry.
o_0

Himu

« Reply #1828 on: December 20, 2012, 09:00:30 PM »
At the beginning of this year I made a goal to read 50 books. I got to 40.

I may get to 41 depending on my mood, but suffice to say, I have not read so much in one year before. I've learned so much on so many subjects. Even though I didn't make my goal, I still feel really proud of myself.
IYKYK

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1829 on: December 21, 2012, 10:12:05 AM »
free ebooks from nightshade press

http://www.nightshadebooks.com/ebook-giveaway/

Username: freestuff
Password: myanprophecyaverted
Tonya

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #1830 on: December 21, 2012, 10:21:23 AM »
free ebooks from nightshade press

http://www.nightshadebooks.com/ebook-giveaway/

Username: freestuff
Password: myanprophecyaverted

I don't know anything about those books.  Are they good?
WTF

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1831 on: December 21, 2012, 10:27:46 AM »
Osiris is supposed to be incredible
Wasteland gets good marks but I haven't read it. It's an anthology so you'll probably find something you like.

don't know anything about Seed
Tonya

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #1832 on: December 21, 2012, 10:30:41 AM »
Works for me, picked them up!
WTF

Robo

« Reply #1833 on: December 21, 2012, 09:38:43 PM »
At the beginning of this year I made a goal to read 50 books. I got to 40.

I may get to 41 depending on my mood, but suffice to say, I have not read so much in one year before. I've learned so much on so many subjects. Even though I didn't make my goal, I still feel really proud of myself.

Christ, I've read like, seven? —and that's easily the most I've ever read in a year.
obo

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #1834 on: December 21, 2012, 09:40:05 PM »
Yeah, I think I'm at around 6-7 for the year as well.  I would love to try and commit to reading more, but when school is in, it just isn't possible to read that much.  However, I think setting myself a goal of 20 would be easily reachable.
WTF

Himu

« Reply #1835 on: December 21, 2012, 09:54:49 PM »
It's all about a kindle, guys. Try for a book a week. MOST books, if they're well written and at reasonable length can be read in just a few days. I was off on some weeks, and on some books I lingered on them for weeks without reading. One time I didn't for a month or two, but I picked up the slack.

Right now I'm reading Taiko and A Feast For Crows.

I definitely read faster now than I did a year ago.
IYKYK

Robo

« Reply #1836 on: December 21, 2012, 10:00:33 PM »
I don't have that kind of time, unfortunately.  And frankly, it's a struggle for me to retain even the basic plot outlines of a quarter of that many books without anything approaching a one-a-week sort of frequency.  I'm not sure there's any value in it for me besides being a more stimulating time sink than say, watching Ink Master re-runs.
obo

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1837 on: December 22, 2012, 04:55:56 AM »
jeez, i used to read at least 3 a week. But that was pre-Internet and such. Now it's more like one a week. Can't really imagine reading any less.
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #1838 on: December 22, 2012, 08:33:47 AM »
You must do your reading before bed.  I know that the only time I can read is when I'm home, I don't have any homework, and my son is in bed.  Then, I will read, but only if I don't have any big tasks to get done around the house.

Also, I would assume that as long as you've been reading like you do, that you have naturally become somewhat of a speed-reader.
WTF

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1839 on: December 22, 2012, 09:14:03 AM »
well, for years I had 2hrs a day of commute time on trains. Books were the best way to kill that time before iPhones and such.  But my reading habits were established before my teens really - we had acres of dead trees in our house. Now, I couldn't exactly say WHEN i read but the Kindle or iPhone are never far away from me. When my kid was small, reading was about the only leisure I had...hours and hours of reading Kindle while trying to get her asleep etc...
vjj

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1840 on: December 22, 2012, 09:14:53 AM »
i literally never leave the house without a book
Tonya

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1841 on: December 22, 2012, 09:17:06 AM »

i literally never leave the house but when i do, it's with an ebook
vjj

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #1842 on: December 22, 2012, 09:39:52 AM »
I read about 60 books this year and I work some ridiculous hours.  A few of them were very dry 800+ page reads.

I thank the Kindle App for that.  I read when taking a dump, during a boring teleconference, before I go to sleep, during some boring weekend stretches, etc.  I mean, it has never been easier and more convenient to read.  Even buying books from Amazon is painless.  Just one click and you're done.

🍆🍆

Himu

« Reply #1843 on: December 22, 2012, 12:21:17 PM »
I read about 60 books this year and I work some ridiculous hours.  A few of them were very dry 800+ page reads.

I thank the Kindle App for that.  I read when taking a dump, during a boring teleconference, before I go to sleep, during some boring weekend stretches, etc.  I mean, it has never been easier and more convenient to read.  Even buying books from Amazon is painless.  Just one click and you're done.

this.

It's the kindle, guys. WHen you can read practically anywhere, without worrying about space, you can finish a book in a matter of days.
IYKYK

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #1844 on: December 22, 2012, 01:17:52 PM »
I'm at 25 for the year. I had a ~35 book pace going for most of the year, which would have kept me in line with last year. No Kindle here.
AMC

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #1845 on: December 22, 2012, 01:20:04 PM »
I read generally slow and I HATE stopping before the end of a chapter so I mostly never bring my kindle around with me beyond the bus rides to work. I need a nice long stretch so I can at least get through a chapter or two.

The Paperwhite's ability to tell me how long in minutes I have until the end of a chapter is fucking GLORIOUS. And it's completely accurate too. I've tested it several times and it's spot on every time.
nat

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #1846 on: December 22, 2012, 08:35:15 PM »
The Paperwhite's ability to tell me how long in minutes I have until the end of a chapter is fucking GLORIOUS. And it's completely accurate too. I've tested it several times and it's spot on every time.

I didn't know they had that feature!  That's really cool.  If I weren't such a slave to B&N and the Nook, I would consider that.  Still though, the Nook app on my Nexus is the most convenient for me because of all the books I have *acquired* for no cost throughout the year.
WTF

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1847 on: December 22, 2012, 09:17:23 PM »
I read generally slow and I HATE stopping before the end of a chapter so I mostly never bring my kindle around with me beyond the bus rides to work. I need a nice long stretch so I can at least get through a chapter or two.

I have never given a second's thought to what chapter I'm on or when it might end. I definitely don't speed-read because it's a pleasurable leisure activity - why would I rush it? If there is any secret to reading a ton of books, perhaps it is being able to pick up a book and instantly be right back in it, whether you read 2 lines or 200 pages
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #1848 on: December 22, 2012, 09:45:36 PM »
I prefer to stop at the end of a chapter, but I don't mind if I have to stop in the middle.  As for me, I don't read unless I've got 20 minutes or more to devote to it.  I like to be able to read more than just a few lines before I have to stop again.
WTF

Himu

« Reply #1849 on: December 22, 2012, 09:46:58 PM »
if I'm reading a good book, I'm a "one more chapter" person
IYKYK

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #1850 on: December 22, 2012, 09:49:15 PM »
I know exactly what you mean!  I just "have" to find out what is going to happen next!
WTF

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1851 on: December 22, 2012, 10:45:36 PM »

i literally never leave the house but when i do, it's with an ebook

:heartbeat

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1852 on: December 23, 2012, 12:28:13 AM »
oh man penguin books has brought some awesome things into print again
Marsh's The Beetle
Gaskell's Lois The Witch
Lee's Virgin of The Seven Daggers

grabbed all three tonight.

I couldn't really get into my Russian book, so I checked out a bell hooks book after returning it
Tonya

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #1853 on: December 23, 2012, 10:25:44 AM »
A sociopathic vice president at my work who is leaving for greener pastures let me keep her books for leadership.  Going to check these bad boys out:

🍆🍆

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1854 on: December 23, 2012, 02:38:56 PM »
Psycho-Cybernetics 2000 sounds like an awesome cyberpunk anthology.
©@©™

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #1855 on: December 23, 2012, 02:52:34 PM »
Some other ones:

🍆🍆

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #1856 on: December 23, 2012, 04:18:07 PM »
emotional intelligence is a classic.  Psycho Cebernetics can be thrown directly in the trash.  You might as well take a Scientology audit. 

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1857 on: December 23, 2012, 05:36:16 PM »
At the last company i worked for, one of the executives bought and read that fucking fish book

it was then mandated that we follow its example

it made the place totally unbearable

edit: this was the same executive who mandated that everyone "drink the kool-aid!" when I pointed out that this was a reference to the jonestown massacre and was in kind of poor taste, we were given a presentation as a company intended to straighten us out on the whole thing.  "in fact, they didn't drink kool-aid, but flavorade" was the cornerstone of the executive's defense.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 05:38:38 PM by Eric P »
Tonya

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #1858 on: December 25, 2012, 08:38:58 AM »

Wow, what a bunch of creepy garbage.  If I put "Warning, Adult Children Play Here" at my work, I hope I get shitcanned.

Basically the story is about a woman who moved to Seattle with her husband who dies.  She gets promoted to lead a group of disgruntled people and was given a strict deadline by her hardass boss to improve morale.  Feeling trapped, a revelatory moment happens when she stumbles across this creepy sounding fish market (does this place even exist?) where every sentence spoken is cringe inducing and probably made up.  In fact, I think the whole story was made up.  So she tries to adopt this extremely cheesy way of management that she witnessed in the fish market, resulting in hard shelled motherfuckers having emotional breakdowns and crying as to why they are such meany doodoo heads to everyone else.  Everything turns around magically in a short order; everyone heaps masturbatory praise over this woman, who now every competitor wants to hire away for a high price.

That last sentence is probably why management wants to adopt this shitty program: it's a way for management to wholly reap the benefits while having their subordinates be all wacky and kooky and crazy and zany.  Then as you sacrifice your dignity to be considered a manchild, your boss gets hired away to your competitor for double the pay.

In the trash it goes!
🍆🍆

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #1859 on: December 25, 2012, 08:53:23 AM »
Sounds like Patch Adams: A Novelization
___