Author Topic: Laissez-faire Politics Thread - Praxis? I didn't play Deus Ex, sorry.  (Read 221998 times)

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
Re: Laissez-faire Politics Thread - Praxis? I didn't play Deus Ex, sorry.
« Reply #1440 on: January 18, 2020, 10:42:09 AM »
 :lol

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #1441 on: January 18, 2020, 01:49:04 PM »
https://dcist.com/story/20/01/16/death-threats-will-force-virginia-lawmaker-to-a-safe-house-during-pro-gun-rally/

It's a good thing squatters are almost all talk and no walk, otherwise prestige media institutions like the Wall Street Journal laundering far-right conspiracy theories might be worrisome.

This situation stems from a fundamental misunderstanding about a bill he reintroduced, which would allow public sector employees to go on strike. For at least the past 70 years, engaging in work stoppages would automatically be considered a resignation for Virginia employees, without the possibility of getting rehired for a year. Carter’s bill, inspired by teachers’ strikes across the country, would change that policy.

When he first introduced the bill last session it did not get a hearing, largely due to concerns from fellow lawmakers that letting law enforcement strike could lead to a decrease in public safety (a contention that Carter disagrees with). The Manassas delegate’s modified bill for the 2020 session does not allow law enforcement to strike.

But the intent of the bill, and the fact that law enforcement currently are not allowed to strike, has been lost. Instead, it has been lumped into a broader category of bills that gun-rights advocates and far-right groups allege are designed to take away their freedoms after Democrats won control of the General Assembly in November. Since then, dozens of jurisdictions in the commonwealth have declared themselves “Second Amendment sanctuaries” in opposition to the gun control measures expected to pass in the legislature, like universal background checks and red flag laws.

Social media posts began erroneously characterizing Carter’s legislation as trying to make sure police enforce gun control legislation on threat of being terminated from their jobs, in concert with Northam (“who I’m not particularly a fan of,” Carter notes). An article in Law Enforcement Today alleges that Carter’s bill is trying to “punish police,” and pro-confederate group the Virginia Flaggers tweeted that the bill would allow the commonwealth to “fire law enforcement officers if they won’t enforce unconstitutional gun laws.” Ultimately, those claims made their way into a Wall Street Journal editorial, which said that a Virginia lawmaker “introduced a bill that requires firing police officers who don’t enforce a gun statute.”

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #1442 on: January 18, 2020, 02:09:22 PM »
Neera..... welcome to Red Guards LF Bore.

https://twitter.com/neeratanden/status/1218312907815034881

You're going to have to do some self crit though, obv.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1443 on: January 18, 2020, 09:48:37 PM »

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #1444 on: January 18, 2020, 10:05:40 PM »
Red Guards
read into the Heidi Sloan thing again and the whole thing is just so... mentally ill. Made me pretty sick reading it :goty2
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 10:09:58 PM by shosta »
每天生气

Kara

« Reply #1446 on: January 19, 2020, 01:58:24 AM »
Red Guards
read into the Heidi Sloan thing again and the whole thing is just so... mentally ill. Made me pretty sick reading it :goty2

It's hard not to think they're some sort of law enforcement operation. A comparable group in the Boyle Heights part of LA is known more for menacing "gentrifying forces" than basically everyone else, though they did have a dust up with DSA LA about a food pantry

shosta

每天生气

Kara

« Reply #1448 on: January 19, 2020, 04:34:26 PM »
Both scenarios are great because one on hand someone probably had to read the little red book to cosplay like an episode of Brooklyn 99 or some Austin white kids took it way too far. Both equally plausible

I would say that they're both highly plausible but not equally so. The last "revolutionary" organization you could be certain about not being infiltrated and controlled was FRSO and that's because they were ripped apart by arrests and trials.

That organization operates out of Texas and neither the state nor the other state has hammered them. For reference the FBI once considered Food Not Bombs a group with terrorist ties.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I assume the first list I ever got on was because I used Food Not Bombs when I was skint af as a 20 something in LA. :larry
[close]

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1449 on: January 19, 2020, 05:13:13 PM »
I'm thinking about Tri-Power, thoughts?
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1450 on: January 19, 2020, 05:52:14 PM »

Tripartism :donot

shosta

« Reply #1451 on: January 19, 2020, 05:59:57 PM »
It can get confusing but remember that one of them is the father, and another the son, but they're still the same person. When the son prays to the father, he's not praying to himself. But once the son dies for his father, he returns to his father, but their consciousnesses are still separate, but when you die you become one with both of them. You'll figure it out.
每天生气

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1452 on: January 20, 2020, 02:41:26 AM »
;)

shosta

« Reply #1453 on: January 21, 2020, 06:25:22 PM »
https://twitter.com/monthly_review/status/1219749068139835393

Here is the incredible double paradox that forms the backbone of the climate-migration-industrial complex: right-wing nationalists and their politicians claim they want to deport all undocumented migrants, but if they did, they would destroy their own economy. Capitalists, on the other hand, want to grow the economy with migrant labor (any honest economist will tell you that immigration almost always leads to growth in GDP), but if that labor is too expensive, then it’s not nearly as profitable.

Trump is the Janus-faced embodiment of this anti-immigrant, pro-economy dilemma and the solution to it–not that he necessarily knows it. With one hand, migrant labor is strategically criminalized and devalorized by a xenophobic state, and with the other, it is securitized and hyper-exploited by the economy. It is a win-win situation for right-wing capitalists but a crucial element is still missing: what will continue to compel migrants to leave their homes and work as exploited criminals in an increasingly xenophobic country?

This is where the figure of the climate migrant comes in. What we call “climate migrants” or “climate refugees” are not the victims of merely “natural disasters,” because climate change is not a strictly natural process–it is also highly political. The causes of climate-related migration are disproportionately produced by rich Western countries and the effects are disproportionately suffered by poorer countries. The circumstances that determine who is forced to migrate are also influenced by the history of colonialism, global inequality, and the same conditions that have propelled economic migration for decades. In short, the fact that climate change benefits the perpetrators of climate destruction by producing an increasing supply of desperate, criminalized, physically and economically displaced laborers is no coincidence. In fact, it is the key to the Trump “solution.”

Longue duree stuff going on here.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 06:32:01 PM by shosta »
每天生气

Kara

« Reply #1454 on: January 21, 2020, 07:55:56 PM »
The Victorian sewage article you posted was a good read, I'll check this out. Echoes a conversation you and Esch had itt awhile back.

Unrelated: I got hired to read some resumes and give my opinion. Just read one from someone who was employed by a big brokerage firm in Orange County, California and listed "was in the office on September 11, 2001 when N floors of the firm were destroyed" as a bullet point above "Very knowledgeable about securities trading" under that employer on their resume.

:holeup

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #1455 on: January 21, 2020, 09:13:04 PM »
It's hard not to think they're some sort of law enforcement operation. A comparable group in the Boyle Heights part of LA is known more for menacing "gentrifying forces" than basically everyone else, though they did have a dust up with DSA LA about a food pantry
this made me think of these guys:

shosta

« Reply #1456 on: January 22, 2020, 01:17:57 AM »
The Victorian sewage article you posted
the what now?
每天生气

Kara

« Reply #1457 on: January 22, 2020, 01:22:02 AM »
https://monthlyreview.org/2018/07/01/cesspools-sewage-and-social-murder/

May be misremembering, but basically no one here links MR.

shosta

« Reply #1458 on: January 22, 2020, 01:34:38 AM »
Wasn't me, but thank you for tonight's bedtime reading  :-*
每天生气

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1459 on: January 22, 2020, 01:39:07 AM »
it was jack  ;)

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #1460 on: January 22, 2020, 01:57:52 AM »
I always accepted the dominant, critical stance of Castro, but I was doing some Wiki browsing and this Batista guy was comically villainous. Can't say I regret what came next.  :leon
Maybe some people have been unfairly maligned or atleast mischaracterized grossly, for reasons.

Kara

« Reply #1461 on: January 22, 2020, 02:03:42 AM »
Wasn't me, but thank you for tonight's bedtime reading  :-*

My memory is failing. :existential

How can I be the eyes and ears of the revolution now. :existential

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #1462 on: January 22, 2020, 02:37:09 AM »
neuroplasticity is a bitch  :(

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
Hi

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1465 on: January 22, 2020, 03:18:38 PM »
Let Capitalism erode your society instead, but in a good way.
©@©™

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1467 on: January 22, 2020, 04:06:27 PM »
https://twitter.com/johannesf/status/984719526389518336

thought nintex was brown, but maybe that was just for zwarte! :lol

shosta

每天生气

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1470 on: January 22, 2020, 09:42:36 PM »
 :pimp

benjipwns

« Reply #1474 on: January 24, 2020, 11:29:07 PM »
i'll admit to liking this even before the obvious reveal:

Tripon

shosta

« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 01:00:07 AM by shosta »
每天生气

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #1480 on: February 01, 2020, 03:47:41 PM »
i'll admit to liking this even before the obvious reveal:

shosta

« Reply #1483 on: February 03, 2020, 04:47:54 AM »
Venezuela’s Capital Is Booming. Is This the End of the Revolution?

On the poorer outskirts of the city, residents continue to struggle with water shortages and malnutrition. And in the countryside beyond, Venezuela is falling apart, with residents lacking even the most basic services, like electricity and the police.

But the wealthier areas dotting the capital have undergone a striking economic boom in recent months.

Shopping malls that were deserted six months ago are bustling, and imported SUVs course through the streets. New restaurants and bars are popping up weekly in the wealthier parts of town, their tables packed with foreign businessmen, fashionable locals and government insiders.

After years of nationalizing businesses, determining the exchange rate and setting the price of basic goods — measures that have long contributed to chronic shortages — Mr. Maduro seems to have made peace with the private sector and let it loose. And while the country’s economy continues to contract overall, the declining regulations have encouraged companies serving the wealthy or the export market to invest again.
The way the Times article phrases this makes it sound like they are two independent movements, the whole of the country shrinking because of Maduro, and Caracas doing quite well because of "reforms", but in fact they are the exact same motion. If the overall economy is contracting but the high income areas are growing, that means that investment is shifting from basic goods to luxury goods and capitalist consumption - at the expense of consumer goods production. That is why bars and malls are exploding. Meanwhile the rest of the country is left behind. Maduro thinks he is saving the country by allowing dollarization to occur but really he is just selling the country out.

In a sign of newfound market confidence, about 100 Venezuelan companies have applied to issue new bonds in 2019, the highest figure in a decade. The country’s biggest rum producer, Ron Santa Teresa, last week completed the country’s first new issue of shares on the local stock exchange in 11 years.

The government has slashed red tape and turned a blind eye to taxation, fueling a boom in private exports of everything from oil to chocolate, enriching the politically connected and traditional business elites.

Imports by private companies overtook those done by the state for the first time in Venezuela’s modern history last year, according to Mr. Molino, the economist.

“There’s a lot of money going around at the moment, you just need to know how to find it,” Zairet López, an accountant, said recently at a packed music festival in Caracas, which charged a $70 entry fee, or the equivalent of 14 months’ worth of the country’s minimum salary.

In short: the United States has succeeded in a bloodless regime change. The same party and the same president are still in control but the economy is quickly bending in the direction the global order has always wanted it to. Everything Chavez did is either undone or in the process of being undone. State industries are in the process of being privatized, market controls are fading away, the economy has become dollarized (say hello to dollar denominated debt...), and pre-revolution inequality is already back. For papers like the Times, it is regrettable but necessary. For Elliot Abrams it is a resounding success of maximum pressure. For the average Venezuelan, it is painfully sad.

To borrow a closing thought:
“This is savage capitalism that erases years of struggle."
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 04:52:16 AM by shosta »
每天生气

shosta

« Reply #1484 on: February 03, 2020, 01:54:17 PM »
Saying Google Glass was “heavy artillery in the meme war,” White held out a tin cup. He begged activists to cough up $3,000 for two pairs of Glasses and more dough for accessories and to jet to San Francisco for a “personalized 1:1 fitting experience.”

White’s fundraiser, dubbed “OccupyGlass,” read like Hammacher Schlemmer met the Communist Manifesto. Glass was a “potential force multiplier — like barricades in 1848.”
:doge
每天生气

shosta

« Reply #1485 on: February 03, 2020, 04:07:49 PM »
I am happy, perhaps even proud to say, that the residual elements of the Hong Kong protests have completely reinvented themselves as Coronavirus alarmists

"Fight for Hong Kong. Close border."

2400 medical workers on strike to protest Carrie Lam's refusal to close border.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
not surprised that a US sponsored anti communist movement is slowly turning into vaguely ethnic violence again :hitler
[close]
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 04:13:42 PM by shosta »
每天生气

shosta

« Reply #1486 on: February 03, 2020, 04:28:01 PM »
They don't speak the same language :ufup
每天生气

shosta

« Reply #1487 on: February 04, 2020, 03:47:22 PM »

:phil
每天生气

BisMarckie

« Reply #1488 on: February 04, 2020, 04:19:59 PM »
Me: Greedy landlords deserve that shit.

Also me: With my intense dislike for everything Berlin. I hope this failed city state gets BTFO‘d in the courts.

:larry

benjipwns

« Reply #1489 on: February 05, 2020, 03:31:01 AM »

shosta

« Reply #1490 on: February 05, 2020, 03:46:46 AM »
That's a cool chart. Only nitpick is... I think giving Leninism so much vertical space is a little peculiar... if you're going to make it so amorphous because of historical conditions then you might as well make it L shaped and stretch to the right for the NEP years.

Personally I'd cut off the bottom part and just make that "Luxemburgist", left-communist, or perhaps eurocommunist.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 04:03:57 AM by shosta »
每天生气

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1491 on: February 05, 2020, 08:57:42 AM »
Corporate Dictatorship :jeb
dog

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #1492 on: February 05, 2020, 02:34:59 PM »
poli compass is only useful for memes anyway

shosta

« Reply #1494 on: February 05, 2020, 03:25:42 PM »
I think that tweet is missing some context:

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1225142456792076289
每天生气

benjipwns

« Reply #1495 on: February 05, 2020, 08:46:09 PM »
poli compass is only useful for memes anyway
this is the proper system:

Tripon

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #1497 on: February 08, 2020, 07:03:30 PM »
boreans support only the most necessary of class wars

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1499 on: February 08, 2020, 08:51:21 PM »
"donald trump has given billionaires a bad name" ::) :lol