Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1868482 times)

Mupepe

• Icon
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #11580 on: December 10, 2010, 10:19:32 AM »
I for one am looking forward to Fred Phelps' funeral.  Not saying I hope he dies, but I'm just saying the awesome stuff done during his funeral is gonna be epic.
Ugh.  I know it's wrong to want it, but I know somewhere deep down I do.  He's a terrible, disgusting piece of shit.  Luckily, unlike him, I can separate those feelings and realize I'm better than that.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Plus, I know he can't have that much longer so i'll just bide my time.
[close]

Beardo

Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #11581 on: December 10, 2010, 11:37:35 AM »
What's wrong with wanting him to die? He's a piece of shit.

:lol

Silly liberals.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #11582 on: December 10, 2010, 03:27:39 PM »
Fred Phelps is like that Florida preacher who was gonna hold a Koran-burning.

They're shitty dudes, but they're not in positions of power; provocative symbolism's all they got.  While everybody's condemning Phelps, it's mainstream organizations and politicians who prevent gay people from actually being treated as equal citizens.

huckleberry

« Reply #11583 on: December 10, 2010, 03:33:59 PM »

They're shitty dudes, but they're not in positions of power; provocative symbolism's all they got.  While everybody's condemning Phelps, it's mainstream organizations and politicians who prevent gay people from actually being treated as equal citizens.

AMEN.

Phelps is a fucking real life troll no doubt who garners massive amounts of hate (deservedly so).  Those same people, however, never once stop to consider what it is he actually represents.
wub

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #11584 on: December 10, 2010, 11:45:06 PM »
I paid someone like 300 bucks to write a resume for me.  It worked like a charm.

I'm hardly the expert on this, and writing and editing mine makes me want to claw my eyes out but, and depending on your field:
- put your main qualifications in bullet point below your name, before getting into job history (like an executive summary almost)
- all of your job history descriptions shouldn't be a series of I did X, I was X...it should read I did X that resulted in Y, I was X that faciliated the company blah blah Y'ing the shit out of things etc.
___

Dickie Dee

« Reply #11585 on: December 10, 2010, 11:53:25 PM »
Bernie Sanders going philabusta on the floor all weekend

1. He's pretty awesome

2. This is the only way that the filibuster should ever be allowed to be used. Not a toe-tap between the senate bathroom stalls and that's it. Say you're gonna use it, be forced to use it.
___

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #11586 on: December 11, 2010, 12:11:08 AM »

duc

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #11588 on: December 11, 2010, 03:44:09 AM »
Speaking of the gay and its discontents, Reid's introducing a standalone bill to repeal DADT, after a few Republican Senators (Brown, Murkowksi, Voinovich, maybe Snowe) said they were voting against it in the larger defense bill because of procedural issues.

Now the question is whether they're just withholding their votes to extract concessions/slow down the lame-duck session (reprehensible but something you can work with) or whether they're just dead-set against it (reprehensible and hopeless).  Fingers crossed.

Tristam

« Reply #11589 on: December 11, 2010, 11:40:08 AM »
I hear echoes of Mandark in the latest David Brooks op-ed: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/10/opinion/10brooks.html?src=me&ref=general

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Forgive me, Mandark
[close]

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11590 on: December 11, 2010, 11:48:09 AM »
first sentence, like clockwork

Over the past week we’ve seen the big differences between cluster liberals and network liberals.

Brooks should have been an entomologist

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #11591 on: December 13, 2010, 12:41:47 PM »
It's fine if the mandate goes. The other insurance rules(ending recision, lifetime caps, etc..) are the most important part if HCR imo.
©ZH

Beardo

« Reply #11592 on: December 13, 2010, 12:58:01 PM »
Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd mandatory insurance ruled unconstitutional by a Virginia judge.  That about wraps it up for Obama.

Is anyone surprised?

Beardo

« Reply #11593 on: December 13, 2010, 12:59:25 PM »
I love the headline on Drudge. It's just a picture of Obama with the words "unconstitutional" underneath. lol

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11594 on: December 13, 2010, 01:09:22 PM »
It's fine if the mandate goes. The other insurance rules(ending recision, lifetime caps, etc..) are the most important part if HCR imo.

The mandate is one of the most essential cost cutting aspects of the bill; it ensures insurance pools aren't filled with old and sick people. The SC would have to ignore a lot of law in order to rule in favor of this nonsense. Personally I'm glad we finally got to this point: this should put the argument to rest.

Beardo

« Reply #11595 on: December 13, 2010, 01:26:48 PM »

The mandate is one of the most essential cost cutting aspects of the bill; it ensures insurance pools aren't filled with old and sick people. The SC would have to ignore a lot of law in order to rule in favor of this nonsense. Personally I'm glad we finally got to this point: this should put the argument to rest.

Wait... You guys actually thought this was cutting costs? This does absolutely nothing to cut costs.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #11596 on: December 13, 2010, 01:30:46 PM »
Please explain, Beardo.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11597 on: December 13, 2010, 01:33:30 PM »

Wait... You guys actually thought this was cutting costs? This does absolutely nothing to cut costs.

Oh this argument again - actually it's not an argument, it's a failed troll perpetuated by a group of willfully ignorant folk. I'm not going to waste my time posting the CBO report and other studies that shit can your argument. The bill cuts costs, that's a fact. Is it some godscend that fixes everything and cuts costs significantly? No. But it's sure as hell going to make things easier for millions of people.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #11598 on: December 13, 2010, 02:30:33 PM »
The argument I've heard so far is "It will cost more than they say!  It always does!  Look at Social Security!"

stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11599 on: December 13, 2010, 02:36:02 PM »
typically this debate goes the same way irl

"the health care bill sucks, it doesn't change anything or lower prices"
"actually premiums will go down due to the subsidies in the bill, at least for middle class folks"
"HAVE YOU ACTUALLY READ THE BILL??!?!"
"i've read some of it. luckily the CBO read it for me, and said premiums get lowered"
"you let other people read things and tell you what to think? what are you, a Catholic? fucking pedos"

Actually that last part never happened

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #11600 on: December 13, 2010, 02:37:50 PM »
 :lol :lol

Nah, the argument I always get is "my doctor said that if the bill passes he's not gonna be able to afford to stay in business"  ::)

Oblivion

« Reply #11601 on: December 13, 2010, 05:03:41 PM »
There were 14 federal judges that said the mandate IS constitutional.

How exactly do these judicial decisions work? As long as only one federal judge disagrees with the constitutionality, then all the other opinions are ignored?

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11602 on: December 13, 2010, 05:10:53 PM »
It'll probably go to the appellate court first. The VA AG requested an injunction but was denied. That kinda tells me even the judge knows this is a far fetch; why not make an injunctive ruling and force the Obama administration to act, if you truly think it's a winning argument.

also, looks like the dude is a pure GOP stooge. I wonder, will conservatives admit this guy is the definition of an activist judge or conveniently ignore this? We know the answer
http://tpmlivewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/12/judge-who-ruled-health-care-reform-unconstitutional-owns-piece-of-gop-consulting-firm.php?ref=fpi

derp derp

Oblivion

« Reply #11603 on: December 13, 2010, 05:32:12 PM »
It goes up the ladder until the SC rules on it.

So basically it's fucked.

Beardo

« Reply #11604 on: December 13, 2010, 05:34:12 PM »
I cant wait for the day liberals are forced to buy something they don't want. The irony will be lost on every one of you hipster douche bags and I shall bask in liberal tears.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11605 on: December 13, 2010, 05:37:24 PM »
We've been paying for you conservative bastards' emergency room visits for years now, we're used to it

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #11606 on: December 13, 2010, 06:11:45 PM »
I love the headline on Drudge. It's just a picture of Obama with the words "unconstitutional" underneath. lol

cooooold blooooooded
yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #11607 on: December 13, 2010, 06:31:52 PM »
I cant wait for the day liberals are forced to buy something they don't want. The irony will be lost on every one of you hipster douche bags and I shall bask in liberal tears.

Like paying for Kentucky ???

Or David Brooks' math education?
yar

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #11608 on: December 13, 2010, 06:31:55 PM »
We've been paying for you conservative bastards' emergency room visits for years now, we're used to it

Personal responsibility sounds good in theory, but it's the application that seems to be the problem.
©ZH

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #11609 on: December 13, 2010, 06:59:50 PM »
oh so i guess you dropped the expense argument now.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #11610 on: December 13, 2010, 07:08:59 PM »

Like paying for Kentucky ???

Or David Brooks' math education?

Or the Iraq war?

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #11611 on: December 13, 2010, 07:39:39 PM »
Speaking of paying for things, this formerly conservative guy is in favor of an across-the-board tax hike. It would be progressive, so the poor would be least affected in percentage, as is the American custom. It would not raise tax rates to pre-Bush levels for the middle class, and it might be seen as a mere token increase at some brackets, but I think the federal deficit is something all Americans must come to grips with and be willing to make sacrifices in order to bring us back into balance and (hopefully) into surplusses.

Quit dancing around the topic, quit ignoring it, both sides. Tackle the deficit head-on, and taxes are a piece of it.

Then there's the matter of the budget. I'm not in favor of cutting government services, but I would certainly appreciate a renewed vigor for identifying and eliminating waste. I would like to see a decrease in "military industrial complex" spending. While we should certainly be available for humanitarian causes with our military, it's time to let the world otherwise solve its own problems. If they want our help, let them come begging, and out in the open.

It's time to throw off the shackles of the American political system of politicians being beholden to their corporate donors (or, as in the case of elected Republicans, themselves). I would love to see the American media expose these liars and hypocrites for what they are at every turn. Senator So-And-So came out today against some-such-provision, and it's worth noting that among the Senator's largest contributors are companies whose profits may be impacted. These corporations are seldom about protecting American jobs or serving the interests of their American customers, so screw them all, and call politicians to the carpet for allowing the continued degredation of the lower and middle class.

Stand up for American families, stand up for good common sense.

Not to rant, or anything.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #11612 on: December 13, 2010, 07:54:28 PM »
i think i can agree with everything you said. raise my taxes back to normal levels. key word: normal. these tax cuts were never permanent dammit. fuck the fallout. let the ugliness start now

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #11613 on: December 13, 2010, 07:59:55 PM »
I mean, I wouldn't raise taxes all in one fell-swoop. It would be a gradual ratcheting. A bit this year, a bit the next, etc. But just plainly say "we can't afford to keep these rates at their current levels, so we're not going to even lie and say we can. We won't raise rates all at once because of the economy being in the state it is in, but just know, it's coming."

That's what I can't stand most about Republicans. "We can't extend unemployment benefits without paying for it, and by the way, it's time to extend the tax cuts for the wealthy."  >:(

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #11614 on: December 13, 2010, 08:04:43 PM »
I'd do it all at once.  you peel off part of that bandaid, its gonna hurt and you won't wanna do it again. that's what I'm scared of. plus i don't think its fair to raise one bracket before the other. we are all in this

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #11615 on: December 13, 2010, 08:08:41 PM »
My napkin version of it had all brackets going up each year, but gradually. It was something like

10-10.5-11%
15-15.5-16.5%
25-26-27.5%
35-37-39%

So the 10% bracket (didn't exist pre-Bush) would end up at 11% (but not wiped out), 15% would go up a bit, and the 25-35% brackets would end up near or at Clinton levels. Maybe you expand tax credits/deductions or move the brackets around to ensure that lower and middle income earners still come out ahead or at the very least at par versus the Clinton years, and maybe there are other brackets, didn't really look, but that's not the point.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 08:11:46 PM by Bocsius »

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #11616 on: December 13, 2010, 10:33:37 PM »
Another nice (not to mention SANE) thing would be to tax capital gains at the same rate as regular earnings, so that these cock-sucking hedge fund managers who dumpster-raped the economy into oblivion would have to pay taxes at a normal rate as opposed to paying like 15% on their millions made each year.
yar

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #11618 on: December 14, 2010, 06:31:47 AM »
Bocsius: While that is good and all, as long as voters vote for someone who they'd rather have a beer with, or whether they smoked pot in college or not, the system will remain as broken as it currently is.  While people are generally concerned about the deficit, if neither side gives a fuck, then it is going to exist in the state it is in.

I'd at least like to see an audit for defense spending.  I recall some scandal a while back where some woman sold the government some screws and got hundreds of millions of dollars out of it.  I think she was caught defrauding the government but the fact that people can throw this kind of money around until well after the purchase is a sign of how fucked up things are at the DOD.

I also agree with Triumph.  Jack up the taxes on capital gains and most investments.  That is where the real money is.

This is going to set up a pretty epic repeal fight.  The 'pubs are going to keep beating that "unconstitutional" drum and the dems, as usual, will change tone 40 times during the debate.

Given that the default Democratic position is the fetal position, it'll be interesting to see where this goes.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 06:33:57 AM by The Experiment »
🍆🍆

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11619 on: December 14, 2010, 11:34:28 AM »
Interestingly if the SC were to rule against the mandate, that would effectively kill the health care bill. Obama's main achievement will be gone, and republicans would have an even easier time dismantling the bill which would raise a lot of premiums without a mandate. Even if Obama were re-elected in epic fashion and dems retake the house, it would be unlikely that they'd be willing to sacrifice themselves again for a huge battle. So we wouldn't see health care reform for another decade or so, but maybe next time it would actually be single payer lol

We wouldn't be having this conversation of the bill had a medicare buy-in. Maybe liberals will get the last laugh

Buut I doubt that'll happen. And oh look, this judge just looks better and better
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/12/amateur-hour-va-judge-makes-elementary-error-in-health-care-ruling.php

Himu

« Reply #11620 on: December 14, 2010, 11:36:02 AM »

prisoners who have done minor shit
IYKYK

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #11621 on: December 16, 2010, 02:11:59 AM »
From the commission that's meant to investigate and report on the causes of the financial crisis:

During a private commission meeting last week, all four Republicans voted in favor of banning the phrases "Wall Street" and "shadow banking" and the words "interconnection" and "deregulation" from the panel's final report, according to a person familiar with the matter and confirmed by Brooksley E. Born, one of the six commissioners who voted against the proposal.

What the fuck?

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #11623 on: December 16, 2010, 02:30:37 AM »
As Nasiripour's reporting anticipated, the words that most people associate with the financial crisis—"Wall Street", "interconnected", "shadow banking", "deregulation", credit default swap—are absent from the Republicans' report. The word "derivative" is nowhere to be found.

What the double fuck?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11624 on: December 16, 2010, 02:33:14 AM »
Their ultimate conclusion was that the way to stop this from happening again in the future is to lower the deficit.  :lol
dog

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11625 on: December 16, 2010, 02:57:26 AM »
I'm all for people being able to name drop pieces of legislation, but when the Community Reinvestment Act is the only one something is usually up.

Mandark

• Icon
Seeing history as it happens! Kinda
« Reply #11626 on: December 16, 2010, 03:45:45 AM »
I remember when I first started wasting my life arguing politics on the internet, I'd spend lots of time reading outlandish claims by freepers, thinking "that doesn't sound right" and spending 45 minutes on Google trying to verify/debunk.

But I realized a while ago how it actually works.

When the CRA stuff started popping up, all I thought was "Hey, I'm getting to see the creation of an alternate history as it happens.  Eventually, a big chunk of our society will accept as fact that lending to poor minorities caused the collapse, just like they know that the New Deal exacerbated the Depression, tariffs caused the Civil War, and Silent Spring killed millions of Africans.  I'll hear kids half my age recite this bullshit decades from now, and be able to remember exactly when it came about.  This is pretty cool!"

edit:  The best part about this kind of thing is that if you're familiar with the memes, it gives you a very quick, easy, and accurate way of figuring out who not to listen to.  If I read a piece where someone says "revenues actually went up X% after the Reagan tax cuts" then I know that they're either disingenuous or ignorant, and either way I can move on to something important like finding pirated streams of English soccer matches.

The worst part is the sheer :smug -ness of it all.  The appeal of these narratives isn't just that it comports with the believers' previous opinions, but that it's a special knowledge only shared by a select, free-thinking few.  Everyone else is blinkered by the MSM and political correctness.  It's a very self-flattering way of looking at the world.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 04:00:34 AM by Mandark »

Beardo

« Reply #11627 on: December 16, 2010, 09:35:52 AM »
Kind of like how Liberals have been claiming the end of poverty since LBJ.

Brehvolution

« Reply #11628 on: December 16, 2010, 09:45:47 AM »
It's ok beardo, your conservative overlords are doing their best to bring massive poverty back to America.
©ZH

Dickie Dee

« Reply #11629 on: December 16, 2010, 10:19:22 AM »

wat
___

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #11630 on: December 16, 2010, 10:41:26 AM »

wat

wat indeed
duc

Mandark

• Icon
recursive was totally right about conservatives and capitalization
« Reply #11631 on: December 16, 2010, 12:53:58 PM »

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #11632 on: December 16, 2010, 06:44:08 PM »
well then, let's make up some insane republican strawmen!

hm

kind of like how republicans have been promising that the success of large corporate entities will be good for america!

fuck

lemme try again

kind of like how republicans have been claiming that the deregulation of financial markets will lead to more stability

argh

kind of like how republicans have considered addressing the deficit as a critical pillar of their fiscal agenda

GOD DAMMIT
duc

Tristam

« Reply #11633 on: December 16, 2010, 07:15:00 PM »
 :lol

I presume the frustration comes from there being no insane strawmen to create! (Because today's insane Republican strawman is tomorrow's Republican policy.)

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #11634 on: December 16, 2010, 11:12:24 PM »
Watching the Daily Show, Stewart talking with four 9/11 First Responders.

This is brutal...fuck the Republican senators.

edit:  Holy shit.  One Senator saying they can't work through the holidays because it would be "disrespectful" to do so to all Christians and their families.

the contrast of those words being played in front of firefighters and police officers who routinely have to work on holidays.  fucking assholes, the lot of 'em.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 11:19:00 PM by Boogie »
MMA

Oblivion

« Reply #11635 on: December 17, 2010, 01:09:00 AM »
Watching the Daily Show, Stewart talking with four 9/11 First Responders.

This is brutal...fuck the Republican senators.

edit:  Holy shit.  One Senator saying they can't work through the holidays because it would be "disrespectful" to do so to all Christians and their families.

the contrast of those words being played in front of firefighters and police officers who routinely have to work on holidays.  fucking assholes, the lot of 'em.

:usacry

Never Forget.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11636 on: December 17, 2010, 01:59:25 AM »
Kirk, the most junior member of the Senate asked, "Did we just win?"

McCain responded, "I think there's very little doubt that the Majority Leader of the United States Senate would not have taken the action he just took if we didn't have 41 votes to stop this monstrosity."

Kirk continued, "so for economic conservatives, a 1,924-page bill just died?

"A 1,924-page bill just died," McCain responded laughing.
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/12/after-spending-bill-implodes-reid-schedules-vote-on-dadt-repeal.php?ref=fpa
[youtube=560,345]MzgYRskMREo[/youtube]

Oblivion

« Reply #11637 on: December 17, 2010, 02:25:39 AM »
"House progressives are still prepared for President Obama's tax cut compromise to pass unamended. But they temporarily derailed that train this afternoon to be heard publicly on just how bad they think the package is."

I don't care what Mandark says, this quote is hilarious(ly sad).

Brehvolution

« Reply #11638 on: December 17, 2010, 10:31:37 AM »
For today's 'No Shit' news:
Those who watched Fox News almost daily were significantly more likely than those who never watched it to believe that most economists estimate the stimulus caused job losses (12 points more likely), most economists have estimated the health care law will worsen the deficit (31 points), the economy is getting worse (26 points), most scientists do not agree that climate change is occurring (30 points), the stimulus legislation did not include any tax cuts (14 points), their own income taxes have gone up (14 points), the auto bailout only occurred under Obama (13 points), when TARP came up for a vote most Republicans opposed it (12 points) and that it is not clear that Obama was born in the United States (31 points). The effect was also not simply a function of partisan bias, as people who voted Democratic and watched Fox News were also more likely to have such misinformation than those who did not watch it--though by a lesser margin than those who voted Republican.

There were cases with some other news sources as well. Daily consumers of MSNBC and public broadcasting (NPR and PBS) were higher (34 points and 25 points respectively) in believing that it was proven that the US Chamber of Commerce was spending money raised from foreign sources to support Republican candidates. Daily watchers of network TV news broadcasts were 12 points higher in believing that TARP was signed into law by President Obama, and 11 points higher in believing that most Republicans oppose TARP.

tl;dr
Fox news viewers most misinformed. All network news outlets are shit.
©ZH

Dickie Dee

« Reply #11639 on: December 17, 2010, 07:20:59 PM »
For today's 'No Shit' news:
Those who watched Fox News almost daily were significantly more likely than those who never watched it to believe that most economists estimate the stimulus caused job losses (12 points more likely), most economists have estimated the health care law will worsen the deficit (31 points), the economy is getting worse (26 points), most scientists do not agree that climate change is occurring (30 points), the stimulus legislation did not include any tax cuts (14 points), their own income taxes have gone up (14 points), the auto bailout only occurred under Obama (13 points), when TARP came up for a vote most Republicans opposed it (12 points) and that it is not clear that Obama was born in the United States (31 points). The effect was also not simply a function of partisan bias, as people who voted Democratic and watched Fox News were also more likely to have such misinformation than those who did not watch it--though by a lesser margin than those who voted Republican.

There were cases with some other news sources as well. Daily consumers of MSNBC and public broadcasting (NPR and PBS) were higher (34 points and 25 points respectively) in believing that it was proven that the US Chamber of Commerce was spending money raised from foreign sources to support Republican candidates. Daily watchers of network TV news broadcasts were 12 points higher in believing that TARP was signed into law by President Obama, and 11 points higher in believing that most Republicans oppose TARP.

tl;dr
Fox news viewers most misinformed. All network news outlets are shit.

I'm not sure if that second half was trying to draw some false equivalency, but it was stretchin'
___