Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1879421 times)

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
乱学者

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #16201 on: February 13, 2012, 03:22:54 PM »
Santorumentum!
dog

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #16203 on: February 13, 2012, 04:13:49 PM »
I'm color blind, but I assume the joke is that it's santorum-colored.
乱学者

« Reply #16204 on: February 13, 2012, 04:15:37 PM »
GAY MARRIAGE LEGAL IN WASHINGTON.

SANTORUM ON HIS WAY HERE.

Coincidence?
野球

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #16205 on: February 13, 2012, 04:20:25 PM »
ooh, it can only be hoped that Dan Savage rolls out the brown carpet for him
yar

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #16206 on: February 13, 2012, 04:20:38 PM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/post/romneys-slide-among-independents-continues/2012/02/13/gIQAYYqGBR_blog.html

Romney is shedding independents as he moves further to the right to combat Santorum/others. This could be a giant farce if the economy keeps improving. What will Romney run on, attacking Iran?

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #16207 on: February 13, 2012, 04:21:25 PM »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #16208 on: February 13, 2012, 04:27:38 PM »

Poop-stain brown, yes.
©@©™

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #16209 on: February 13, 2012, 05:07:13 PM »
Looks like the payroll tax break is getting an extension, with no offsetting spending cuts.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16210 on: February 13, 2012, 06:58:02 PM »
Looks like the payroll tax break is getting an extension, with no offsetting spending cuts.

It's worth noting that this GOP deal does not include the UE benefit extension and medicare doc fix. That's a big deal, and if dems accept this they'll be fighting over the less popular (but more important) items without a crutch.

Another interesting point: by not off setting the payroll tax cut, republicans (and democrats) just might be speeding up the clock on us hitting the debt ceiling. In an election year, perhaps around August or October. Fun times.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 07:00:44 PM by Phoenix Dark »

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #16211 on: February 13, 2012, 07:30:04 PM »
Well handwring all you want, but usually having the enemy retreat to surer ground* isn't seen as a defeat.

*and that's accepting your analysis.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 08:12:21 PM by Mamacint »
___

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #16212 on: February 13, 2012, 07:39:11 PM »
Don't worry, I've heard Republican lawmakers always extend unemployment benefits of their own volition!  :spin

Oblivion

« Reply #16213 on: February 14, 2012, 08:27:04 PM »
http://www.liberalsloveromney.com/

Despite what you say Newt, you'll always be no. 1 in MY eyes. :heartbeat

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #16214 on: February 14, 2012, 08:28:51 PM »
Saul Alinsky!

That fucker!

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #16215 on: February 14, 2012, 08:53:20 PM »
So I guess it's true, Romney is the most electable GOP candidate, even the liberals love him!
©@©™

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #16216 on: February 14, 2012, 08:59:58 PM »
Oh man, could I possibly have a chance to cast a relevant vote for Santorum in the NC primary in a couple of months?  Cause that would be AWESOME.
yar

Himu

« Reply #16217 on: February 14, 2012, 09:21:11 PM »
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16218 on: February 14, 2012, 10:41:14 PM »
Saul Alinsky!

That fucker!

And I thought hip hop fans were the only people deeply concerned with satanism in 2012!

Well looks like republicans are caving on UE benefits and the doc fix too (which will be paid for).
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/02/lawmakers-strike-tentative-deal-on-payroll-tax-package.php?ref=fpnewsfeed

UE cut from 99 weeks to 75 weeks  :-\

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #16220 on: February 15, 2012, 03:55:35 PM »
Quote from: David Brooks
The half-century between 1912 and 1962 was a period of great wars and economic tumult but also of impressive social cohesion. Marriage rates were high. Community groups connected people across class.

In the half-century between 1962 and the present, America has become more prosperous, peaceful and fair, but the social fabric has deteriorated. Social trust has plummeted. Society has segmented.

White guy thinks people got along better before the major victories of the civil rights movement.  Shokku!

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16221 on: February 15, 2012, 03:57:48 PM »
I must admit I'd expect that from Glen Beck, not Brooks  :-\

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #16222 on: February 15, 2012, 03:58:35 PM »
where the hell is a brain tumor when you need it

I must admit I'd expect that from Glen Beck, not Brooks  :-\

you clearly have not read enough (any?) brooks
pcp

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #16223 on: February 15, 2012, 04:22:35 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/14/opinion/brooks-the-materialist-fallacy.html?_r=1&ref=todayspaper

Read the whole thing.  If anything, it's more smug than you'd imagine.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #16224 on: February 15, 2012, 04:27:45 PM »
Conservatives have always had this fantasy of the "past" as some idealized version of American with no problems. It's that Leave it to Beaver 50's TV image. It's how their ideology works. It banks on a return to a fictionalized past.

That is unless a Democrat was recently president when those times were hell on earth.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 04:30:19 PM by Stoney Mason »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16225 on: February 15, 2012, 04:44:00 PM »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16226 on: February 15, 2012, 05:20:42 PM »
:lol
dog

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #16227 on: February 15, 2012, 05:25:03 PM »
Conservatives have always had this fantasy of the "past" as some idealized version of American with no problems. It's that Leave it to Beaver 50's TV image. It's how their ideology works. It banks on a return to a fictionalized past.

That is unless a Democrat was recently president when those times were hell on earth.
Yep yep.  I hear that crap all the time from older conservatives.  "In the 50's.... blah blah blah" and it's usually completely and factually incorrect.  I hear about how today's politicians just aren't the same.  Have these people never read a real book on American history?  It's full of scandal and shit flinging.  I can't stand it.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #16228 on: February 15, 2012, 05:35:46 PM »
The most telling thing is to simply talk to very old people black or white. On average they are the most racist stereotyping group of people you would ever want to me when you really get to know them. They can't stand each other. And I don't blame them. Its the world they grew up in.

The past was different. In some ways it was better. In some was its worse. You could probably make very specific arguments if you tailored the argument in a very specific and narrow way but broad generalizations never work. But then op eds are the playground of generalizations. 

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #16229 on: February 15, 2012, 07:44:59 PM »
If Republicans like the 50s so much, why don't we return to 50s era tax rates? :smug
🍆🍆

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #16230 on: February 15, 2012, 11:10:57 PM »
乱学者

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16231 on: February 15, 2012, 11:17:08 PM »
That's definitely NOT mud, by the way.
dog

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16232 on: February 15, 2012, 11:24:18 PM »
reminds me of dressing  :drool

Robo

« Reply #16233 on: February 16, 2012, 12:02:50 AM »
You have a funny way of putting on clothes.
obo

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #16236 on: February 16, 2012, 09:03:02 AM »
Been traveling about in the last couple weeks and when I do that I tend to put on Rush or equivalent just to see what the deal is. And the Santorum love is just...

I don't get it, I thought Newt was the conservative. Oh wait, was it Romney with his business experience but...

The other night I listened to some conservatives talk about how if the economy improves it's a death knell for Obama because then Santorum can hit him on social issues, where he's weak, but if the economy stinks then Romney is the one.

I also talked to a big Hannity loving conservative who didn't know anything about Santorum really, like say the whole aspect of that Goldwater/Santorum image on the last page. The person didn't know Santorum wants to use the government to enforce the "responsibilities given to us by God" which apparently "isn't a big deal, that would help a lot of people." They were pretty much against Gingrich and Romney completely now, and think Ron Paul is a leftist.

Maybe Santorum will let Gary Johnson* get double figures. I'd like that even if it's not realistic. It's not like Obama is going to lose.
you clearly have not read enough (any?) brooks
:lol was going to say this exact thing.

*As if he even gets the nomination.  :lol
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 09:05:28 AM by benjipwns »

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #16237 on: February 16, 2012, 09:12:17 AM »
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/01/11/rick-santorum-s-italian-family-speaks-out.html

But the elder Santorum matriarch doesn’t understand why he has diverged so far from the family’s longtime political stance. “In Riva del Garda his grandfather Pietro and uncles were ‘red communists’ to the core,” writes Oggi journalist Giuseppe Fumagalli, likening the family to “Peppone” after a famous fictional Italian communist mayor who fought against an ultraconservative priest known as Don Cammillo and about which a popular television series is based. “But on the other side of the ocean, it’s like his family here doesn’t exist. Instead he draws crowds as the head of the ultraconservative faction of the Republican party, against divorce, gay marriage, abortion, and immigration.”

Guilty by association like Bill Ayers and Rev. Wright, right?
©ZH

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #16238 on: February 16, 2012, 09:26:49 AM »
Santorum doesn't really need guilt by association.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16239 on: February 16, 2012, 12:45:34 PM »
Economy is weak: Obama is ruining America, businesses want republican to win
Economy is improving: Obama is ruining America, economy always fixes itself, businesses really want republicans to win

Romney's argument for the nomination pretty much disappears if the economy improves, but you'd have to be pretty crazy to think Santorum suddenly becomes a general election favorite if the economy is no longer a major issue. Republicans have lost a lot of ground on the culture war since 2004. For all the outrage over this contraception issue, the vast majority of Americans - even independents and moderates - believe employers should cover it, even if they're religious institutions; hell, more than 40% of republicans agree on that point.

I certainly think Santorum plays better with blue collar workers than Romney...
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entries/rasmussen-santorum-leads-ohio-gop-primary-by-18

...but he would struggle to get 40% of the female vote in a national election. TL DR: He crazy

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #16240 on: February 16, 2012, 12:56:01 PM »
no shit.

The only reason Santorum is prospering at all is pretty much because Rommney is blowing it.  'Real muricans' hate the guy, and he's bleeding moderate support every week, perhaps partially because he's dialing down his sane positions to better appeal to people who hate him already.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16241 on: February 16, 2012, 01:48:03 PM »

Nothing would please me more than the great white christian hope getting trounced by the moslem pretender

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #16243 on: February 16, 2012, 02:13:59 PM »
that guy is rich as hell and has been Santorum's Sheldon Adelson, so Rick really can't tell his boss to STFU.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16244 on: February 16, 2012, 02:20:55 PM »
myth busted, whew
http://contraception.about.com/b/2010/05/20/myth-busters-aspirin-as-a-birth-control-method.htm

I feel like I know more about women thanks to this guy

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #16245 on: February 16, 2012, 02:29:39 PM »
also, obama's approval rating is apparently 51% for a few days.  Not bad.
püp

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #16246 on: February 16, 2012, 06:22:34 PM »
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/01/11/rick-santorum-s-italian-family-speaks-out.html

But the elder Santorum matriarch doesn’t understand why he has diverged so far from the family’s longtime political stance. “In Riva del Garda his grandfather Pietro and uncles were ‘red communists’ to the core,” writes Oggi journalist Giuseppe Fumagalli, likening the family to “Peppone” after a famous fictional Italian communist mayor who fought against an ultraconservative priest known as Don Cammillo and about which a popular television series is based. “But on the other side of the ocean, it’s like his family here doesn’t exist. Instead he draws crowds as the head of the ultraconservative faction of the Republican party, against divorce, gay marriage, abortion, and immigration.”

Guilty by association like Bill Ayers and Rev. Wright, right?

Probably greener pastures being a socon.  There was some long ass article (maybe it was on Rolling Stone) that basically said that Newt was a moderate until he realized he could get further ahead as a far right winger.
🍆🍆

Oblivion

« Reply #16248 on: February 16, 2012, 09:14:55 PM »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16249 on: February 16, 2012, 09:19:30 PM »
Holy shit

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16250 on: February 16, 2012, 09:40:42 PM »
Different person, same meeting:

dog

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #16251 on: February 17, 2012, 08:59:10 AM »
http://www.salon.com/2012/02/16/israelis_unite_for_war_with_iran/
Never mind stuxnet and the assassination of scientists, theses bombs near our embassy are considered an act of war.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 09:01:03 AM by Zero Hero »
©ZH

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #16252 on: February 17, 2012, 06:47:16 PM »
The most telling thing is to simply talk to very old people black or white. On average they are the most racist stereotyping group of people you would ever want to me when you really get to know them. They can't stand each other. And I don't blame them. Its the world they grew up in.

My grandfather was on the city council and when his term was up recruited (along with the mayor) a black friend to replace him, becoming the first black councilman ever of the city.  Heard this story from that friend at my grandfather's funeral.  The kicker?  Grandpa was a Republican.

:bow granddad :bow2

:bow machine politics :bow2

Oblivion

« Reply #16253 on: February 17, 2012, 07:53:42 PM »
Good news, men. I am now going to be officially PAID to spread the Obama campaign's socialist, Kenyan agenda.

:rock

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #16254 on: February 17, 2012, 08:04:23 PM »
Congrats, you unbelievable sellout.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16255 on: February 17, 2012, 08:44:44 PM »
we'll definitely need a congressional hearing on whether the high youth unemployment/university fuck ups are just a ploy to get young people to join Obama's army
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35215551&postcount=3701
:violin

Oblivion

« Reply #16256 on: February 17, 2012, 11:19:09 PM »
Congrats, you unbelievable sellout.

Danke.

Even if the the Dems don't take back the House or hold the senate, it'll be worth helping Obama just to see tea baggers commit wide spread suicide if he gets re-elected.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16257 on: February 17, 2012, 11:50:29 PM »
But if Obama beats Romney, won't a lot of tea partiers just say "HA, if only we ran a true conservative Obama would have lost by 10 points"?

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #16258 on: February 18, 2012, 10:22:47 AM »
It's a win-win really.  The more conservatives double down the more irrelevant they become.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16259 on: February 18, 2012, 12:48:49 PM »
Yea. They have really shat the bed over contraception, like beyond what anyone could imagine