Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1868371 times)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #18720 on: September 12, 2012, 01:54:30 PM »
Imagine the Republican response is something like 9/11 happens while Obama is President.  :-\
dog

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #18721 on: September 12, 2012, 02:09:47 PM »
How is SA responding to this? Are they viewing it as Romney politicizing deaths?

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #18722 on: September 12, 2012, 02:21:48 PM »
Most of the posters in d&d are furious, which is not entirely surprising given the highly left-wing nature of the forum.  They would have been disgusted with Romneys political pandering either way, although the level of anger is definitely higher then usual.  What is new is the amount of donations to the Obama campaign that this inspired.  One guy literally donated $2500 to Obama in reaction to Romneys speech this morning.  There's also fundraising being set up for Vilerats family.

Himu

« Reply #18723 on: September 12, 2012, 02:22:29 PM »
SA is taking it about as well as they can because he was active in the community. D&D - the forum he moderated - is pissed the fuck off. Many find it weird to even see politicians talking about him. Most are just shocked. There is a fund for his family.
IYKYK

Himu

IYKYK

« Reply #18725 on: September 12, 2012, 02:35:13 PM »
Wired put up a good article.

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/09/vilerat/

Good article, but like every other online news article, the user comments make me sick.
野球

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #18726 on: September 12, 2012, 02:35:26 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Hmmmm, where have I seen that facial expression before...I just can't put my finger on it. :smug

Eat shit Romney.

WDW

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18727 on: September 12, 2012, 02:37:21 PM »

Good article, but like every other online news article, the user comments make me sick.

About the only news site with user comments that don't make me feel that way is Talking Points Memo.
dog

« Reply #18728 on: September 12, 2012, 02:38:18 PM »

About the only news site with user comments that don't make me feel that way is Talking Points Memo.

Part of me thought that when some sites required you to use your real name/Facebook account to comment, things would get better. I think they got worse.
野球

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #18729 on: September 12, 2012, 03:00:26 PM »

then you get it in the direction of the left so it becomes just as bad
Tonya

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18730 on: September 12, 2012, 03:13:07 PM »

then you get it in the direction of the left so it becomes just as bad

It is bad sometimes, yeah, but generally not AS bad.
dog

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #18731 on: September 12, 2012, 03:24:52 PM »
Imagine the Republican response is something like 9/11 happens while Obama is President.  :-\

©@©™

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #18732 on: September 12, 2012, 05:01:56 PM »

Oblivion

« Reply #18734 on: September 12, 2012, 05:42:17 PM »
So how much do you guys think this incident's gonna hurt Romney?

(Image removed from quote.)

Hmmmm, where have I seen that facial expression before...I just can't put my finger on it. :smug

Eat shit Romney.

Hopefully that pic gets a lot of mileage from here on out.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18735 on: September 12, 2012, 05:46:37 PM »
So how much do you guys think this incident's gonna hurt Romney?

Not as much as it should.
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18736 on: September 12, 2012, 05:49:01 PM »
Sen. Jon Kyl (AZ), the No. 2 Republican in the chamber, told reporters Wednesday that a U.S. Embassy statement condemning an anti-Muslim movie -- which was reportedly issued before the attack in Libya that killed four American diplomats -- was akin to blaming a victim for rape.

Here's what Kyl said, as quoted by Roll Call reporter Meredith Shiner:

"It's like the judge telling the woman who got raped, 'You asked for it because of the way you dressed.' OK? That's the same thing. 'Well America, you should be the ones to apologize, you should have known this would happen, you should have done — what I don't know — but it's your fault that it happened.' You know, for a member of our State Department to put out a statement like that, it had to be cleared by somebody. They don't just do that in the spur of the moment."

:derp
dog

Oblivion

« Reply #18737 on: September 12, 2012, 05:54:23 PM »
Sen. Jon Kyl (AZ), the No. 2 Republican in the chamber, told reporters Wednesday that a U.S. Embassy statement condemning an anti-Muslim movie -- which was reportedly issued before the attack in Libya that killed four American diplomats -- was akin to blaming a victim for rape.

Here's what Kyl said, as quoted by Roll Call reporter Meredith Shiner:

"It's like the judge telling the woman who got raped, 'You asked for it because of the way you dressed.' OK? That's the same thing. 'Well America, you should be the ones to apologize, you should have known this would happen, you should have done — what I don't know — but it's your fault that it happened.' You know, for a member of our State Department to put out a statement like that, it had to be cleared by somebody. They don't just do that in the spur of the moment."

:derp

This is quite literally the first time I've seen A REPUBLICAN use the "blaming the rape victim" card.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18738 on: September 12, 2012, 05:55:41 PM »
Here's the "movie" that supposedly started all this mess:

That's some Adult Swim-esque production values going on here. And if not for the seriousness surrounding it, I'd almost think that's what it was made for.
dog

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #18739 on: September 12, 2012, 05:56:18 PM »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #18741 on: September 12, 2012, 05:59:51 PM »
Supposedly the movie was made with "$5 Million dollars from 100 wealthy jews" lol. More like 5 Million rubles from  a dozen fairly well-off goat farmers.
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18742 on: September 12, 2012, 06:02:38 PM »
Supposedly the movie was made with "$5 Million dollars from 100 wealthy jews" lol. More like 5 Million rubles from  a dozen fairly well-off goat farmers.

And Tommy Wiseau was the executive producer.
dog

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #18743 on: September 12, 2012, 06:14:12 PM »
This is a clear case of incitement. Jones has been flagged for this before, and the FBI has asked him to refrain from similar stunts in the past. His point is not simply to argue Muslims are violent, it is to prove that point by throwing gasoline on the fire and waiting for the explosions (as he hides in Florida). With this in mind, it's no wonder the embassy statement stressed that this type of language is unacceptable. And it must be stressed that their statement was released BEFORE the attack occurred.

It's not a coincidence that most of the mainstream GOP (Boehner, Cantor, Rice, etc) have put out condolence statements while denouncing the violence, but make no mention of the president. Even the McCain/Lieberman/Graham holy trinity didn't jump the shark on this.

I've slowly gone from indifference to disliking to really disliking Romney over the past year, but his recent behavior has moved him into "intolerable pos" territory for me. I can't even imagine Bush's White House bungling this

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #18744 on: September 12, 2012, 06:20:42 PM »
I'm really convinced this is Romney's "Lehman moment" - there's no unscrewing this pooch.
乱学者

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18745 on: September 12, 2012, 06:23:10 PM »
Romeny's already been slipping in the polls post-convention, this certainly isn't going to help him in that regard.
dog

Oblivion

« Reply #18746 on: September 12, 2012, 06:29:12 PM »
I heard Mittens is down by five in a Fox News poll today. lolz

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #18748 on: September 12, 2012, 06:33:38 PM »
If there's one thing 99% of Americans can agree on (well, 85%) it's:

1) Don't politicize the slaughter of American citizens, at home or abroad
2) If you're dumb enough to politicize it anyway, don't obviously lie about it to everyone's face.

Anyone who looks at the murder of an ambassador and sees it as a way to win the news cycle is, frankly, a sociopath. Not even Ryan is touching this one with a 10-foot-pole.
乱学者

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #18750 on: September 12, 2012, 07:01:22 PM »
I don't think this is some insurmountable, dealbreaking screwup.  But it is the sort of thing that both the public and the media recognize as being wrong, and if Romney doubles down then it'll get worse.  Palin didn't get really heavy criticism when she first had fibs in her VP speeches, it was when she kept saying them and defying the media after they ran fact-checking articles that pundits started asking if there were some personal flaws.

If Desperate Romney becomes part of the conventional wisdom like Dumb Palin or Lying Al Gore (which was unfair but of course I'd say that), watch out.

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #18751 on: September 12, 2012, 07:15:32 PM »
He's already tripled down. It's crazy. All Obama has to do is act presidential over the next few days.
乱学者

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #18752 on: September 12, 2012, 07:20:27 PM »
Romney's campaign has already said they wouldn't be beholden to "fact checkers" so I'm kind of confused that everyone has the vapors over the continued lying.

Personally, I don't think this is on the level of "let's suspend my campaign to deal with this" but the thing is, there's plenty of time for Romney to compound this fuck up with other fuck ups, or as they'll surely be known after this campaign, "Mittenisms"
yar

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #18753 on: September 12, 2012, 07:22:31 PM »
Romney's campaign has already said they wouldn't be beholden to "fact checkers" so I'm kind of confused that everyone has the vapors over the continued lying.

Because Bill Clinton lied about having an affair and SHUT UP.
©@©™

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #18754 on: September 12, 2012, 07:23:51 PM »
I'm really convinced this is Romney's "Lehman moment" - there's no unscrewing this pooch.

IMO it depends on how the media reports on it, and whether citizens are paying attention. So far I haven't seen anyone (outside of TPM/other sites) point out the embassy statement was released before the attack, thus making Romney's criticism false. That journalism fail is currently giving Mitt some cover; he's looking bad sure, but could be looking a lot worse if people knew more facts

This election will be about the economy, but I do think a story like this goes into the basic issue of judgement. In 08, McCain's judgement was called into question due to his impulsive response to the financial crisis. I don't think this is on the same level, but here's the problem imo: Romney's judgement and character was questioned all through the summer. He made a fool of himself overseas, and came home to a barrage of Bain attacks centered (again) on judgement: is the bottom line more important than workers, can you be trusted to respect women's health rights, etc. This story adds on top of what is already an existing narrative. That's a big problem for Romney, whereas I think McCain had voter's trust until he fucked up his response to the financial crisis. Romney never had anyone's trust, even his own party's.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #18755 on: September 12, 2012, 07:26:30 PM »
Jake Tapper just reported the correct chronology on the CBS evening news, so I think we're covered there.
yar

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #18756 on: September 12, 2012, 07:41:59 PM »
i posted about this on FB, and someone i havent talked to in 5 years clicked Like and then made a status update saying that they have never been for or against any politician, but they think romney is disturbing and they will vote to keep him from office. I think this will gain traction

Barry Egan

« Reply #18757 on: September 12, 2012, 07:48:07 PM »
his internal polling must have him set to lose already if he's making plays this desperate.  I sensed alot of strain coming from the man when he was asked about his chances on NBC over the weekend.  This was a play from someone who is really not liking his odds.  The worst thing about it is that it's an issue that is all but guaranteed to come up in the debate on foreign policy, which I think is the last public performance by the candidates before voting starts.  He's going to have to double down on this AGAIN, everyone will have it fresh in their mind walking in to the booth.  Ouch.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 07:49:59 PM by Barry Egan »

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #18758 on: September 12, 2012, 08:07:52 PM »
Kind of reminds me of mid-late October 2008 where deep down you knew McCain knew he lost, where Palin started going off on her own, and things were unraveling fast.  Except this time it is mid September and there hasn't been a single debate yet.

Little wonder why Paul Ryan is running re-election ads.
🍆🍆

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #18759 on: September 12, 2012, 08:16:30 PM »
Religion/politics side note/TL DR warning: my mom REALLY dislikes Romney. She wasn't a fan of Bush, but respected him in the general ways a lot of folks tended to at the time ("he's a man of faith...he believes in what he's doing...etc"). A lot of it has to do with her visceral dislike of Mormons in general. When I was growing up, both my parents put a lot of religious emphasis on teaching me to dislike and oppose three theological views: Calvinism, Jehova's Witnesses, and the Church of Latter Day Saints. At the time I could understand the basic complaints against the first two on a biblical level, as in if I got into a debate (at that time) I could quote the verses I was spoon fed. But the explanation I always got when asked why I shouldn't like Mormons was "they're racist against black people."

I learned more about Mormons in highschool once I left home school, and even made some Mormon friends. It's certainly true the religion was rather racist for a time, but today I can't really say I believe they're officially racist anymore.

Naturally, my mom still believes they're all racist and cannot stand them. My mom has Jewish friends, Muslim friends, hell she even has Jehova's Witness friends now; she's never been an angry or mean person. Yet I've seen her close the door on Mormons who knock on the door (without saying a word), she refused to invite a Mormon family to a big dinner event she hosted for the other families on their block of the suburbs, etc.

(My dad may not like Mormons, but he's too nice in general to treat anyone bad unless you're from Ohio State)

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #18760 on: September 12, 2012, 08:27:24 PM »
Like many Americans of the era, Mormons of the 19th century commonly assumed that Cain's "mark" was black skin,[24] and that Cain's descendants were black and still under Cain's mark.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_and_mark_of_Cain

Mitt thinks Obama is black because he's cursed. Before you discount this, he's given the church over $50M. I'm pretty sure he's a true believer.

I hope it's not the case. He believes he will get a planet when he dies. I just find it crazy that the religious right would vote for a non-christian instead of a non-white.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 08:33:36 PM by Zero Hero »
©ZH

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #18761 on: September 12, 2012, 08:42:10 PM »
I don't think Romney believes that stuff.  Hasn't been taught to Mormons for a while, and people are generally good at rationalizing how their particular church acted in the past.  He might believe some outlandish stuff, but we don't accuse Catholics of believing in a geocentric universe.  Usually.

And to your second point, remember that they think the black dude's Muslim.  Makes that particular conundrum a bit easier, I'd imagine.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #18762 on: September 12, 2012, 09:01:05 PM »
Didn't Romney's father cry in joy when the Mormon church reversed their stance on black people?

Himu

« Reply #18763 on: September 12, 2012, 09:01:33 PM »
I have a cousin and her family who are mormon. Makes me smh.
IYKYK

Barry Egan

« Reply #18764 on: September 12, 2012, 09:04:38 PM »
Apparently msnbc actually did a piece on Vile rat.  Hope it comes online soon.

Himu

« Reply #18765 on: September 12, 2012, 09:09:29 PM »
 :'(
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18766 on: September 12, 2012, 09:11:10 PM »
Relevant:

dog

Himu

« Reply #18767 on: September 12, 2012, 09:15:48 PM »
Got some dumb card in the mail stressing all the great things Obama has done from the Barack Obama campaign.
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

Himu

« Reply #18769 on: September 12, 2012, 09:33:30 PM »
Goddamn. :drool
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #18770 on: September 12, 2012, 10:50:04 PM »
PD, how much does your family idolize Obama? My mom has photos in frames, photos in cabinets - laminated, in fact. Even Obama family photos sitting inside flower vases.
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #18771 on: September 13, 2012, 12:56:12 AM »
PD, how much does your family idolize Obama? My mom has photos in frames, photos in cabinets - laminated, in fact. Even Obama family photos sitting inside flower vases.

My mom loves Obama; she's more active in politics now than I've ever seen her. My dad was campaigning for Obama in early 2007 when he was down 30 points to Hillary

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #18772 on: September 13, 2012, 05:33:48 AM »
This is a clear case of incitement. Jones has been flagged for this before,

it's not even jones.  This Sam Becile character is really out there

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/09/sam_bacile_film_embassy_attacks.php?ref=fpnewsfeed
Tonya

pickle

« Reply #18773 on: September 13, 2012, 06:55:24 AM »
Sounds like you're bummed you didn't get this one
http://www.wisconsingazette.com/breaking-news/ny-senator-called-political-whore-for-backing-gay-marriage.html

Jesus christ that's arousing. I refuse to believe an organisation could create an advert like this and not be filled to the brim with repressed sexuality.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 06:57:01 AM by pickle »

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #18774 on: September 13, 2012, 07:02:08 AM »
Obummer sends navy to libya to apologize for film personally

Meanwhile, the administration took the first steps toward a possible military response, moving two Navy destroyers toward the coast of Libya as a precaution, and sending 50 Marines to help secure the U.S. embassy in Tripoli. Though more details are beginning to emerge, officials still haven't confirmed reports that the attack on the Benghazi consulate was planned.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/14/world/middleeast/mideast-turmoil-spreads-to-us-embassy-in-yemen.html?_r=1&hp

edit: whoops.  wrong link
http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2012/09/us-begins-hunt-for-ambassadors-killers.html
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 07:04:44 AM by Eric P »
Tonya

Himu

« Reply #18775 on: September 13, 2012, 10:00:54 AM »
JUST IN TIME FOR THE DNC TO SUCK ISRAEL'S COCK.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #18776 on: September 13, 2012, 10:07:05 AM »
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/13/us-germany-usa-consulate-idUSBRE88C0KG20120913

Incident at the German US embassy possibly involving anthrax.
IYKYK

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #18777 on: September 13, 2012, 11:15:59 AM »
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/13/us-germany-usa-consulate-idUSBRE88C0KG20120913

Incident at the German US embassy possibly involving anthrax.

I don't see the word anthrax anywhere in that link, Himu.
MMA

Himu

« Reply #18778 on: September 13, 2012, 11:55:01 AM »
You're right. My bad.
IYKYK