Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1878821 times)

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #6180 on: November 12, 2009, 09:27:18 AM »
What a gaffe-machine!!
___

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #6181 on: November 12, 2009, 10:16:54 AM »
even Dick Cheney never actually murdered anyone, that we know of, while he was in office.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #6182 on: November 12, 2009, 10:35:41 AM »
You don't have an assassination squad if you don't need any killin'.
©ZH

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #6183 on: November 13, 2009, 02:43:33 AM »
Yeah, that's true. All the decent Post writers have sold out to ESPN or similar television interests.

Is there anything better than vintage Kornheiser, from back in his heyday? I remember reading his columns on the bus to Eastern in the mornings.

Big nostalgia factor for me.  I used to get the paper each morning and immediately see if he had written a column.

He was one of the few sports journalists who was a really good writer on his own merits (good enough he had a Sunday column in Style).  His stuff was a lot funnier, more engaging, and more perceptive than anyone else I can think of off the bat.

Wilbon said in an interview that Kornheiser worries about his broadcast stuff being dumbed down and no longer having the chops to go back and write like he used to.  Even so, he's eons better than the Jim Romes and Jay Mariottis of the world.

Also, it's a little painful watching the WaPo's slow death.  On top of the obvious shrinkage, I caught several basic spelling/punctuation errors in two Thomas Boswell columns in a row.  For some reason it makes me really sad to think that they must've canned the copy editors.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #6184 on: November 13, 2009, 05:36:48 AM »
Whatever, me and Froomkin are gonna piss on Hiatt's corpse when that turd goes belly up.
yar

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #6185 on: November 13, 2009, 12:44:27 PM »
Big nostalgia factor for me.  I used to get the paper each morning and immediately see if he had written a column.

Same here. It was one of the few things that made those long, grueling bus rides bearable.

He was one of the few sports journalists who was a really good writer on his own merits (good enough he had a Sunday column in Style).  His stuff was a lot funnier, more engaging, and more perceptive than anyone else I can think of off the bat.

Wilbon said in an interview that Kornheiser worries about his broadcast stuff being dumbed down and no longer having the chops to go back and write like he used to.  Even so, he's eons better than the Jim Romes and Jay Mariottis of the world.

Agreed, on all accounts. I feel like there's a divide between commentators that act like Tucker Max, and actual journalists - like Wilbon and Kornheiser. What's odd is that I think Wilbon has gotten softer in his old age. I miss the more fiery and volatile Wilbon, despite the fact that some of his more poorly constructed arguments used to really irk me.

I just feel like Kornheiser likes being in front of the cameras, and being well liked, and is very hesitant to do anything that would rock the boat. Yes, he's better than Mariotti or Rome, but is that really much of a compliment?

Also, it's a little painful watching the WaPo's slow death.  On top of the obvious shrinkage, I caught several basic spelling/punctuation errors in two Thomas Boswell columns in a row.  For some reason it makes me really sad to think that they must've canned the copy editors.

I was wondering about this, as I have also caught spelling errors in recent Post articles and columns. What I think is really noticeable is the lack of discernable talent; if people thought La Canfora was bad, now we're stuck with Reid.

Also, Boswell has become almost unreadable in his old age. I feel like every thing he writes nowadays is the editorial equivalent of "Get off my lawn!" or "Back in my day..."
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 12:46:04 PM by Willco »
PSP

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #6186 on: November 14, 2009, 03:40:29 PM »
[youtube=560,345]3kyD_e0Y7FQ[/youtube]
:usacry  :japancry

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #6187 on: November 14, 2009, 07:33:38 PM »
I'm not going to lie - when Carrie Prejean's masturbation videos hit the internets, I will download and beat off to all of them.
🍆🍆

Phoenix Dark

Dickie Dee

« Reply #6189 on: November 15, 2009, 02:48:18 AM »
Palin annihilated
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/11/14/mccain-campaign-emails-co_n_358124.html

Quote from:  Miss Wasilla 1984
"I am very sorry u guys are working double-triple time on this blundered-up stuff that they spin bc of my visits w press - while I apologize I say I love you guys!!!"

:usacry
___

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #6190 on: November 15, 2009, 05:48:25 AM »
John Cole is right about her- SHE'S A GRIFTER.
yar

Oblivion

« Reply #6191 on: November 15, 2009, 07:00:54 PM »
Shit's about time someone finally came up with this:

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
©ZH

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6193 on: November 15, 2009, 08:56:54 PM »
Don't play with my emotions like that, ever again  :-\

Brehvolution

« Reply #6194 on: November 15, 2009, 09:41:18 PM »
Don't play with my emotions like that, ever again  :-\

Who wants to see it now? The religious jibberish is a total turn off. Plus, this is pre-boob job. :drake
©ZH

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #6195 on: November 16, 2009, 12:45:33 AM »
This is the main reason why most celebrity sex tapes aren't worth seeing: it is surrounded by layers of pointless bullshit to only have 80% of the footage be a man's ass or dick.  This has the distinct advantage of being dude free.

I'm considering boycotting The Huffington Post due to providing one more layer of useless bullshit.
🍆🍆

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6196 on: November 16, 2009, 03:13:51 AM »
[youtube=560,345]TeKb710KikM[/youtube]
smh

I'll admit I wouldn't get the vaccine if someone payed me, but I'm certainly not going to scientifically defend it

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #6197 on: November 16, 2009, 03:46:29 AM »
Fucking disgusting psuedo-scientific bullshit.  I never took Maher seriously but he is just fully up his own ass in that clip.

And PD, you're a distinguished mentally-challenged fellow too if you think getting the swine flu vaccine is unsafe.

Dickie Dee

« Reply #6198 on: November 16, 2009, 04:15:47 AM »
It's crazy how far Maher has embraced and advocates rationality only to see him take such poor, irrational stances against modern health sciences.
___

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6199 on: November 16, 2009, 04:21:07 AM »
Fucking disgusting psuedo-scientific bullshit.  I never took Maher seriously but he is just fully up his own ass in that clip.

And PD, you're a distinguished mentally-challenged fellow too if you think getting the swine flu vaccine is unsafe.

Maybe so but I'll take my chances

Dickie Dee

« Reply #6200 on: November 16, 2009, 04:26:18 AM »
:punch got my swine flu shot 2 days ago

Felt a bit crap that night, but now i'm bulletproof :punch
___

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #6201 on: November 16, 2009, 04:59:23 AM »
It's crazy how far Maher has embraced and advocates rationality only to see him take such poor, irrational stances against modern health sciences.

He's part of the whole "natural living" crowd.  I can understand to a certain degree- he undoubtedly ate like shit most of his life and probably felt crappy health wise, then someone convinced him to start eating whole foods and give up meat, telling him he'd feel better.  Guess what?  You do.  But all things in moderation, etc etc.
yar

Tristam

« Reply #6202 on: November 16, 2009, 06:02:12 AM »
I already got the real deal. I caught swine flu two weeks ago. It was weaksauce. But then I ate something contaminated and came down with bacterial gastroenteritis (medical jargon for abdominal pain, loss of appetite, and the shits). Now THAT is kicking my ass.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #6203 on: November 16, 2009, 09:17:10 AM »

For every "logical" stance Maher has, he's always been equally silly, simplistic, dogmatic, and unrealistic on others. I've never been overly a fan.

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #6204 on: November 16, 2009, 11:01:25 AM »
fucking hell, I just ended up agreeing with Bill "don't unplug Schaivo because this highly edited video of her makes it look like she's okay" Friest cause of Bill Maher's dumbassery.

Yes, I'm a liberal, and something that does infuriate me about my camp is all those people who buy into all that new-age, pseudo science malarkey.  If Maher did get the swine flu and ended up missing a week out of his life due to extreme levels of vomiting, rampant fever, etc., and came back on the show and meekly apologized about his earlier position, I would do a happy dance the same way I would if a creation scientist somehow stumbled over a missing link skeleton.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #6205 on: November 16, 2009, 11:08:41 AM »
So is there anyone who can give an actual rational reason why we shouldn't try and imprison terrorists here in the US?  To misquote the immortal Walter Sobchak, these men aren't Lex Luthor, they're cowards, Donny.
yar

Stoney Mason

« Reply #6206 on: November 16, 2009, 11:12:21 AM »
The Bush years were good for Liberals because it galavanized and united a political force on the left of this country that was extremely weak.

The reality though is that "liberals" are quite different and come in all shapes and forms including kooks.

To use an out there analogy, if there is a serial killer out and about people will probably agree that he needs to be caught and punished. That doesn't mean we all share the same position on the death penalty or crime and punishment in general.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 11:18:37 AM by Stoney Mason »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #6207 on: November 16, 2009, 11:14:11 AM »
So is there anyone who can give an actual rational reason why we shouldn't try and imprison terrorists here in the US?  To misquote the immortal Walter Sobchak, these men aren't Lex Luthor, they're cowards, Donny.

It's the same bs argument of why we can't try them or treat them like any other criminals. It's simply an appeal to emotion.

Brehvolution

« Reply #6208 on: November 16, 2009, 12:29:41 PM »
There is actually a joke character on gaf that thinks some of these guys will be acquitted and released onto the streets of Manhattan.  :lol :lol :lol

The way I see it, at least Obama is putting some closure to these fools. Something Bush was to much of a pussy to finish, just like everything else in his administration. Well, except tax cuts for the rich.
©ZH

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politi
« Reply #6209 on: November 16, 2009, 12:35:28 PM »
What reason is he giving that he they will be? acquitted

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politi
« Reply #6210 on: November 16, 2009, 12:36:13 PM »
Something Bush was to much of a pussy to finish

I though Bush hated brown people blah blah blah liberal.gif

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6211 on: November 16, 2009, 12:46:27 PM »
What reason is he giving that he they will be? acquitted

something something mistrial torture evidence something something

The fed won't fuck this up, and a NY jury is going to find him guilty end of story

Dickie Dee

« Reply #6212 on: November 16, 2009, 01:06:11 PM »
Something Bush was to much of a pussy to finish

I though Bush hated brown people blah blah blah liberal.gif
It's funny that your mind works so slowly that it took you a full minute to come up with such a lame response, yet you thought it so witty it was worth a second attempt at posting
___

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #6213 on: November 16, 2009, 01:20:43 PM »
Isn't the vaccine something you inhale through your nose?  I don't know, I'd probably get it if there was a lot of cases around where I live but it seems to be pretty rare for right now.
püp

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #6214 on: November 16, 2009, 01:35:09 PM »
It's moderate in my state, but in terms of Nashville I haven't really read much about the seriousness of it yet.  Just occasional, anecdotal instances.  Maybe after I come back from winter break.
püp

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #6215 on: November 16, 2009, 02:08:43 PM »
Who gets flu shot?  ???. I've never gotten one and I have never gotten the flu. Even when my Japanese host-dad (who was a doctor) offered to do it right there in the house.

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #6216 on: November 16, 2009, 02:12:27 PM »
Cause I'm invincible. :punch

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #6217 on: November 16, 2009, 02:16:40 PM »
Why is it that when I talk to someone who refuses the flu shot they are either Christian or Libertarian?  o wait it makes perfect sense :teehee

Explain nerdling.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6218 on: November 16, 2009, 02:17:57 PM »
I get sick once every three or four years, I'm not worried.
*daps FoC*

also a pretty nice annihilation of folks trolling the KSM/court issue
http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/2009/11/a_lot_of_people_--.php?ref=fpblg

On a more general level, however, since when is it something we advertise or say proudly that we're going to change our behavior because we fear terrorists will attack us if we don't? To be unPC about it, isn't there some residual national machismo that keeps us from cowering even before trivially increased dangers? As much as I think the added dangers are basically nil, I'm surprised that people can stand up as say we should change what we do in response to some minuscule added danger and not be embarrassed.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #6219 on: November 16, 2009, 04:58:47 PM »
I also have never gotten a flu shot, but I maaaaybe get a cold once a year- I just don't tend to get sick.  I also don't interact with society much other than going to school twice a week and getting groceries, so my chances of exposure are pretty low.  I say let someone else get my flu shot, if I do get sick I'm not too worried.

Refusing to get one because you're afraid the govt. is going to mind control you or something through it is distinguished mentally-challenged.  Pee Dee is homeskoold, too.
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6220 on: November 16, 2009, 05:05:24 PM »
So in short, if the govt drew a line in the sand you'd be with me and FoC. :smug

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #6221 on: November 16, 2009, 05:23:24 PM »
If I saw a NEED to get a flu shot, I would.  If I worked at a job where I had to interact with the public, I would.  I have in the past.  You guys are idiots.
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6222 on: November 16, 2009, 05:28:03 PM »
In those situations I would too. But since all three of us dwell on the borders of society it's no surprise we find common ground on shots  :teehee

Now lets play some WoW Dragon Age

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #6223 on: November 16, 2009, 06:34:27 PM »
I had a severe flu twice: once when I was 5 and when I was 17.  I rarely get ill otherwise.  I won't get the shot but it has nothing to do with a Joo-Mason conspiracy.  That said, if this strand of flu was much more fatal than H1N1, I'd probably get vaccinated.  Probably.
🍆🍆

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #6224 on: November 16, 2009, 07:00:00 PM »
Why is it that when I talk to someone who refuses the flu shot they are either Christian or Libertarian?  o wait it makes perfect sense :teehee

Explain nerdling.

religion and irrationality
duc

Rman

« Reply #6225 on: November 16, 2009, 07:27:11 PM »
Damn.  I can't stand flu shot paranoia. 

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #6226 on: November 16, 2009, 08:06:55 PM »
Never got the flu shot.  Never had the flu, either, until possibly this year. (Doc said I got it, but my new doc's an idiot).

Will be getting the H1N1 shot this week though, on account of spending 6 weeks on a cruise ship in February with 5000 other Mounties who will be exposed to thousands of tourists from all over the world.
MMA

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #6227 on: November 16, 2009, 08:15:37 PM »
It's not that I fear science or the fact that I'm Christian, it's just that I don't get sick often and I won't get a vaccine until I think there's a pressing need for it, in my situation.
püp

Brehvolution

« Reply #6228 on: November 16, 2009, 08:42:22 PM »
Never got the flu shot.  Never had the flu, either, until possibly this year. (Doc said I got it, but my new doc's an idiot).

Will be getting the H1N1 shot this week though, on account of spending 6 weeks on a cruise ship in February with 5000 other Mounties who will be exposed to thousands of tourists from all over the world.
Flu virus hates the cold. Canada :rock

It's good to get sick though. It keeps the immune system strong. no flu shot here.
©ZH

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #6229 on: November 16, 2009, 09:58:09 PM »

It's crazy you posted this. I just got done reading my local paper before I logged in. This was one of the letters to the editor:

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #6230 on: November 16, 2009, 10:03:19 PM »
I do think H1N1 is man made, though.
PSP

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6231 on: November 16, 2009, 10:19:06 PM »
unlike global warming :smug

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #6232 on: November 16, 2009, 10:28:55 PM »
So there's a conspiracy to kill off most of the US population.  The plan's been in effect since flu vaccinations became regular in what, the 1950's?

Whoever's behind this is like the Matt Millen of secret genocide.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #6233 on: November 16, 2009, 10:55:45 PM »
I don't think H1N1 is part of some elaborate conspiracy, but I do believe it's man made.
PSP

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #6234 on: November 16, 2009, 11:06:04 PM »
Intentionally?  Or do you mean that it just adapted to live in humans?

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #6235 on: November 16, 2009, 11:21:44 PM »
Also, the last part of the letter reminds me of this.

The founders wanted "common people" to rule the country?  Really?

Oblivion

« Reply #6236 on: November 16, 2009, 11:40:56 PM »
I think this is appropriate for the current topic.

edit: posting again in regular link form for Mandark.

http://www.theonion.com/content/news_briefs/obamas_declaration_of_swine

Brehvolution

« Reply #6237 on: November 16, 2009, 11:42:35 PM »
People had no issue taking a flu shot under bush. But under Obama it's all gov't takeover of my bluuuuuuuud. :smug
©ZH

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #6238 on: November 17, 2009, 05:43:44 AM »
Lobbyists for a biotech company ghostwrite whole or partial statements for legislators, who then submit them into the Congressional record.

Quote from: Rep. Joe "You Lie!" Wilson (R-SC)
One of the reasons I have long supported the U.S. biotechnology industry is that it is a homegrown success story that has been an engine of job creation in this country. Unfortunately, many of the largest companies that would seek to enter the biosimilar market have made their money by outsourcing their research to foreign countries like India.

Quote from: Rep. Blaine Luetkemeyer (R-MO)
One of the reasons I have long supported the U.S. biotechnology industry is that it is a homegrown success story that has been an engine of job creation in this country. Unfortunately, many of the largest companies that would seek to enter the biosimilar market have made their money by outsourcing their research to foreign countries like India.

This is apparently common practice, and they were just a bit too successful this time.

Crushed

• i am terrified by skellybones
« Reply #6239 on: November 17, 2009, 09:09:04 AM »

why, obongo, why :usacry :japancry
wtc