Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2085043 times)

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #6360 on: December 15, 2012, 08:39:31 PM »
Looks like It's Always Sunny is back on Netflix.  I catassed through two seasons of it and working on the third season.  I like the show.  I remember bashing the show on here before calling it the Dane Cook Variety Hour but that was to troll Willco (which it worked) because I think Willco is garbage.  I'm going to continue watching it.
🍆🍆

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #6361 on: December 15, 2012, 08:40:42 PM »
So....any Homeland apologists left? Ep 11 was lol worthy

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #6362 on: December 15, 2012, 08:56:30 PM »
free fall.
Drunk

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #6363 on: December 15, 2012, 08:57:53 PM »
Last Sunday's episode was pretty damn good. There was some 24 level bullshit but the character development is going great. I think Brody's actor should be a contender for an emmy.

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #6364 on: December 15, 2012, 08:59:04 PM »
been watching Home Movies and Dr. Katz with dinner lately.  good shit. 

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #6365 on: December 15, 2012, 09:02:44 PM »
I'm willing to hold out until the finale before judging the season as a whole.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6366 on: December 15, 2012, 10:32:39 PM »
Last Sunday's episode was pretty damn good. There was some 24 level bullshit but the character development is going great. I think Brody's actor should be a contender for an emmy.

I have the exact opposite view of Brody's actor this season. IMO his performance has been very spotty, ranging from good to utterly horrible. He struggles displaying subtlety imo, especially this season considering his character is so off kilter most of the time; when he tries to dial it back it just feels off. For instance, in the last ep when he learned that You Know Who had been killed. His "yea ok cool!" follow up after his initial emotional reaction just felt phoney as fuck - not from a character perspective but from an actor perspective

etiolate

« Reply #6367 on: December 16, 2012, 02:17:20 AM »
Disagree. I felt the way he did that scene showcased the weird emotions and the uncomfortable place his emotions and situation put him in at that moment.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #6368 on: December 16, 2012, 03:07:47 AM »
Disagree. I felt the way he did that scene showcased the weird emotions and the uncomfortable place his emotions and situation put him in at that moment.
exactly. being off-kilter is the whole point of his character the entire season. the emotional tug-of-war basically shattered whatever man was left behind from season 1.

the only real disappointment in season 2 has been abu nazir's character, but other than that it's still one of the best dramas out there.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6369 on: December 16, 2012, 03:35:34 AM »
I really don't see how you can say that. The show has gone full distinguished mentally-challenged fellow and multiple critics have completely turned on the show, etc. I defended S1's finale for a year but given this dive in quality, they really should have just killed Brody off last season with the vest. S2 has just been a series of cut corners and casually bad writing that extends the ridiculous plot at the expense of making sense. I can forgive a couple ridiculous moments, but the season has basically strung them together episode after episode. Like last ep where the FBI is searching for the most wanted terrorist in the fucking world, who is holed up in a closed refinery, and doesn't use canines. Or earlier in the season when Brody not only sneaks a cellphone into a fucking Pentagon situation room, he sends a text message to someone halfway around the globe...who receives it in real time and avoids getting shot. Come on

in fact, just
http://www.buzzfeed.com/kateaurthur/homelands-road-to-ruin
 :-\

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #6370 on: December 16, 2012, 06:55:44 AM »
I really don't see how you can say that. The show has gone full distinguished mentally-challenged fellow and multiple critics have completely turned on the show, etc. I defended S1's finale for a year but given this dive in quality, they really should have just killed Brody off last season with the vest. S2 has just been a series of cut corners and casually bad writing that extends the ridiculous plot at the expense of making sense. I can forgive a couple ridiculous moments, but the season has basically strung them together episode after episode. Like last ep where the FBI is searching for the most wanted terrorist in the fucking world, who is holed up in a closed refinery, and doesn't use canines. Or earlier in the season when Brody not only sneaks a cellphone into a fucking Pentagon situation room, he sends a text message to someone halfway around the globe...who receives it in real time and avoids getting shot. Come on

in fact, just
http://www.buzzfeed.com/kateaurthur/homelands-road-to-ruin
 :-\

Those are both assumptions, they may have used canines but Nazir used something to throw the scent off because omg he's crafty. And it may have taken several seconds to send the text, plus wtf wouldn't a congressman be allowed to hold onto their cell phone?

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6371 on: December 16, 2012, 01:59:23 PM »
You can't use a cell phone in a government building, especially a situation room; even the president's Blackberry can't do that.

Barry Egan

« Reply #6372 on: December 16, 2012, 02:12:26 PM »
I really can't wait for the writing team that manages to thwart the scrutiny of thousands of trained internet nit-pickers by creating a perfectly realistic drama over the span of multiple seasons.  I'm sure it will happen any day now.   

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #6373 on: December 16, 2012, 02:15:12 PM »
AHS was another "eh" episode up until the end.
sup

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6374 on: December 16, 2012, 02:17:27 PM »
I'm far from a nit picker. The show's writing is pretty bad this season, which leads to cutting corners to make the plot work. Every show does this to a degree but I haven't seen one recently that does it as much as this...

Barry Egan

« Reply #6375 on: December 16, 2012, 02:43:21 PM »
I agree it doesn't match the high bar of season 1 and has gotten downright goofy in certain instances but it's still far from bad.  I don't think it's possible to say otherwise when the primary point of reference is 24.  The lowest dips of this season are basically the bread and butter of that show.  And while the scenarios may have become less believable, the character work still remains really strong. 

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #6376 on: December 16, 2012, 04:12:20 PM »

i dunno.  i like the continuation of the "santa" stuff but yeah it's a marked drop in quality.  I have faith.  they took the same dip last season too
Tonya

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #6377 on: December 16, 2012, 04:30:54 PM »
I really can't wait for the writing team that manages to thwart the scrutiny of thousands of trained internet nit-pickers by creating a perfectly realistic drama over the span of multiple seasons.  I'm sure it will happen any day now.   
Also Far Cry 3.
:{]

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #6378 on: December 16, 2012, 04:35:07 PM »
I'm far from a nit picker. The show's writing is pretty bad this season, which leads to cutting corners to make the plot work. Every show does this to a degree but I haven't seen one recently that does it as much as this...

Were you complaining this much Omar fell out if a four story building or Barksdale was getting kfc delivered to his cell?

ZephyrFate

« Reply #6379 on: December 16, 2012, 09:20:26 PM »
I agree it doesn't match the high bar of season 1 and has gotten downright goofy in certain instances but it's still far from bad.  I don't think it's possible to say otherwise when the primary point of reference is 24.  The lowest dips of this season are basically the bread and butter of that show.  And while the scenarios may have become less believable, the character work still remains really strong.
Yeah, Claire Danes + Damien Lewis basically elevate the show above most everything on TV.

as for that Buzzfeed article, I facepalmed and started to ignore it the moment she critiqued both "The Smile", one of the most amazing episodes of Homeland ever, and then proceeded to also shit on Q&A, its best episode yet.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 09:27:29 PM by ZephyrFate »

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #6380 on: December 16, 2012, 09:55:55 PM »
wtf wouldn't a congressman be allowed to hold onto their cell phone?

Cell phones are absolutely barred in a classified environment, it doesn't matter who it belongs to.  Period.

Of course, this is the same group of writers who had an F-117 firing air-to-air missiles in Season 4 of 24, so fuck any pretence of reality.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 09:58:44 PM by Boogie »
MMA

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6381 on: December 16, 2012, 09:58:01 PM »

Were you complaining this much Omar fell out if a four story building or Barksdale was getting kfc delivered to his cell?

S5 of The Wire? Yes I did complain about that shit

Barksdale getting kfc in jail? Nope because I know COs, and have family members who work in prisons.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #6382 on: December 16, 2012, 10:07:32 PM »
This season of Always Sunny has been amazing.

They should stand and bow.

archie4208

« Reply #6383 on: December 16, 2012, 10:13:01 PM »
DID ANYONE ELSE WATCH THE DEXTER FINALE?

JESUS PENIS

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #6384 on: December 16, 2012, 10:13:56 PM »

i dunno.  i like the continuation of the "santa" stuff but yeah it's a marked drop in quality.  I have faith.  they took the same dip last season too

yeah, it's probably just buildup for the final stretch of eps
sup

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #6385 on: December 16, 2012, 10:57:52 PM »
Shame about The League, though it picked up these last couple weeks.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #6386 on: December 16, 2012, 11:20:48 PM »

S5 of The Wire? Yes I did complain about that shit

Barksdale getting kfc in jail? Nope because I know COs, and have family members who work in prisons.

suck my suspension of disbelief.

Beezy

« Reply #6387 on: December 17, 2012, 01:42:30 AM »

JESUS PENIS
couldn't believe it

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #6388 on: December 17, 2012, 02:26:16 AM »
Trying to struggle my way through season 2 of the walking dead. As much as I love zombies though, it's  difficult because this show is hokey as hell.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #6389 on: December 17, 2012, 03:06:07 AM »
Fucking excellent finale of Homeland. Holy shit.

Barry Egan

« Reply #6390 on: December 17, 2012, 07:45:54 AM »
I loved it.  Makes me excited for season 3 already.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 07:51:52 AM by Barry Egan »

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #6391 on: December 17, 2012, 07:48:43 AM »
This season of Always Sunny has been amazing.

They should stand and bow.

agreed.  much better than last season, though Dee has really be a bit of a 5th wheel in many cases
Tonya

Diunx

« Reply #6392 on: December 17, 2012, 01:00:31 PM »
Don't know how I feel about Homeland's finale.
Drunk

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #6393 on: December 17, 2012, 05:56:11 PM »

It's too early to say how this series will pan out, but that was one of the best finale twists ever.

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #6394 on: December 17, 2012, 10:47:36 PM »
Has anyone else watched Amish Mafia?  It is by-far the stupidest fucking show ever.
WTF

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6395 on: December 17, 2012, 11:41:37 PM »

It's too early to say how this series will pan out, but that was one of the best finale twists ever.

uh, no.

After that shit I don't know if I'll watch S3

Diunx

« Reply #6396 on: December 18, 2012, 12:22:32 AM »
I really hope they don't ignore the fact that Carrie just helped  a guy suspected to commit a terrorist act on American soil to get out of the country, and where the fuck will he run really? his face will be on the mind of every citizen of this planet a ginger war hero congressman turned terrorist? good luck going incognito.
Drunk

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #6397 on: December 18, 2012, 12:56:56 AM »

JESUS PENIS
couldn't believe it

You glide like a . . .  fuckin' lizard on ice.

You are one creep motherfucka.

I thought it was one of the best season's of Dexter, despite the convenient plot twists and Dexter's sloppiness and stupidity.

Jennifer Carpenter  :heartbeat
Deb  :'(

Beezy

« Reply #6398 on: December 18, 2012, 01:10:31 AM »
Yeah, it was easily the best since the early seasons. The Doakes flashbacks were great. :lol

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #6399 on: December 18, 2012, 01:30:58 AM »
Yeah, it was easily the best since the early seasons. The Doakes flashbacks were great. :lol
They managed to capture the early seasons pretty well in those flashbacks, with Dexter struggling to act like a human.

No-no-no-no I can't let you through with this!

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6400 on: December 18, 2012, 02:15:46 AM »
not to question your IQ but I'm pretty sure leather wouldn't stop a zombie's teeth from penetrating skin

G The Resurrected

« Reply #6401 on: December 18, 2012, 03:31:36 AM »
There's this awesome show on TBS called The Wedding Band. I can't believe that its a hour long comedy show that actually works.

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #6402 on: December 18, 2012, 05:17:24 PM »
There's this awesome show on TBS called The Wedding Band. I can't believe that its a hour long comedy show that actually works.

That looked like shit in the previews...
WTF

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #6403 on: December 18, 2012, 05:43:57 PM »
Thick leather? You'd need strong jaws to pierce it. Take a catcher's mitt and try to bite through part of that. It would protect against incidental bites at least. Some kind of mesh under that would really go a long way.

yeah, when i saw that guy wearing the padding and duct tape i thought "that's the smartest motherfucker in the entire series"

i guess they explain some of it away by it being hot as hell in georgia and the dehydration factor and all - but still, wear a tyvek jacket, you can't bite through that shit, either

sup

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #6404 on: December 18, 2012, 08:42:53 PM »
To be fair, it's not as if they can go and shop at fucking Macy's for this shit.
WTF

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #6405 on: December 18, 2012, 09:30:51 PM »
true, but they probably passed a lot of clothing stores on their way to...wherever the hell it is they're going
sup

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6406 on: December 18, 2012, 09:36:24 PM »
I was under the impression that the zombie jaws were stronger than human ones :fbm

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #6407 on: December 19, 2012, 01:08:52 AM »
Yeah the zombies are physically stronger than a comparable human, they rip arms and legs off easily so their jaws are also probably stronger than a humans. Plus usually if the zombies kill anybody, it's by swarming them in a closed area so leather wouldn't protect you much.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #6408 on: December 19, 2012, 01:23:04 AM »
I think I'd rather carry more bullets and have a freer range of movement. I can't see Michone slicing and dicing while wearing a bunch of padding.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6409 on: December 19, 2012, 01:30:37 AM »
Leather would be irrelevant to me. My goal would be to avoid groups of white survivors considering they'd likely give me the worst weapons to defend myself with

T-Dawg

etiolate

« Reply #6410 on: December 19, 2012, 03:10:06 AM »
BECAUSE I'M CRIPPLED AND I WANT TO LISTEN TO NIRVANA

Yes, I started watching Friday Night Lights.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #6411 on: December 19, 2012, 03:50:45 PM »
Happy Endings was absolutely top-tier comedy last night.

Just open the fucking gift, Penny.

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #6412 on: December 19, 2012, 04:32:54 PM »
Leather would be irrelevant to me. My goal would be to avoid groups of white survivors considering they'd likely give me the worst weapons to defend myself with

T-Dawg (Image removed from quote.)
You wouldn't want to run into a group of white survivors, because the next black person they run into means you're dead.
vin

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #6413 on: December 19, 2012, 04:44:58 PM »
I was under the impression that the zombie jaws were stronger than human ones :fbm

maybe all the bone from their skulls migrates down into their jaws, reinforcing them

this would also explain how people can apparently penetrate their heads with nothing more than a sharp fingernail
sup

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6414 on: December 19, 2012, 05:05:19 PM »

T-Dawg (Image removed from quote.)
You wouldn't want to run into a group of white survivors, because the next black person they run into means you're dead.

It's probably a more dangerous job than being the #2 guy in al-Qaeda

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #6415 on: December 20, 2012, 04:19:48 AM »
Watched the first episode of TRON: UPRISING, the Disney animated series. It was better than last year's movie. Fantastic production design, and an art style which borrows from Peter Chung without slaving itself to it.

Diunx

« Reply #6416 on: December 23, 2012, 12:45:47 AM »
Did the ladyd playing Tony's mum died before season 3? her head is fucking cgid into anothser botdy.
Drunk

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6417 on: December 25, 2012, 04:04:46 PM »

ZephyrFate

« Reply #6418 on: December 26, 2012, 03:12:49 AM »
i jizzed

Beezy

« Reply #6419 on: December 27, 2012, 06:11:31 PM »
CAN'T WAIT