Author Topic: Please share your triumph of the day  (Read 798661 times)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
Re: Please share your triumph of the day
« Reply #4020 on: September 17, 2017, 06:51:49 PM »
played 5 hours of D&D today.  Feels great.

Also, I have a friend who isn't the brightest person - two turns after having a conversation with the current baddy, my friend who likes to read his character sheet to make sure he is using all of his abilities to the fullest, asks 'Do you speak common, mother fucker?'  :dead

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #4021 on: September 17, 2017, 07:19:47 PM »
played 5 hours of D&D today.  Feels great.

Also, I have a friend who isn't the brightest person - two turns after having a conversation with the current baddy, my friend who likes to read his character sheet to make sure he is using all of his abilities to the fullest, asks 'Do you speak common, mother fucker?'  :dead
:lol
Just out of curiosity, are these friends that other people can see?

All desks in Denmark are electrical by law so you can adjust however you want on the fly, I alternate between sitting and standing all the time during the day :)
That's a LAW? Seriously, a LAW?  This is the future liberals want!

I'm also jealous of the natural light standards in Denmark. Coworkers from there always talk about it when they come to our office
Like, what? USA offices are too dark? Or use of fluorescents?

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4022 on: September 17, 2017, 07:25:53 PM »
Fluorescents. My old office was built in the late 70's. I was hundreds of feet from the nearest outside light. Before that i also worked in a basement.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #4023 on: September 17, 2017, 07:34:34 PM »
Fluorescents. My old office was built in the late 70's. I was hundreds of feet from the nearest outside light. Before that i also worked in a basement.

There should be a law against fluorescents. Between the frequency flickering and the draining quality of the light, it's a backward, disgusting way to light a place. There are format-identical stick LEDs which can replace them and lower the electrical bill. Feels like everyone in Japan is moving to them.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #4024 on: September 18, 2017, 03:06:22 AM »
Fluorescents are so depressing damn. Remind me of factory work.

Another one: you are not allowed to work on a laptop at work for more then 2 hours a day (I think that's the max) if your job requires more hours then that you have to have a screen and keyboard issued.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #4025 on: September 18, 2017, 05:11:15 AM »
Fluorescents are so depressing damn. Remind me of factory work.

Another one: you are not allowed to work on a laptop at work for more then 2 hours a day (I think that's the max) if your job requires more hours then that you have to have a screen and keyboard issued.

Holy shit. My wife's school here in Japan ONLY has people on laptops. Old ones. Slow ones. Though, honestly, I don't know that they spend more than 2 hours a day on them.

FWIW, after my first day at a standing desk, my feet and lower back are sore. The lower back is just me trying to get used to actually standing this long. The feet was all me: foolishly forgot I had a compression mat in 2012, but today was barefoot on hardwood floors. :lol

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #4026 on: September 18, 2017, 06:29:52 AM »
How long did you stand for?

We have a company hired physiotherapist at the office every other week you can book an appointment with (30 min max, 8 slots for a 25 man company) to check out whats wrong with you and provide tips and exercises, plus obviously some kind of massage that helps but hurts. Following his tips a bit really makes a difference.

Dude is amazing, I used to have this crazy pain in the palm of my hand  and he took my hand and pulled and something clicked and the pain was gone and is still gone. Probably a nerve that was stuck for a year or
more.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #4027 on: September 18, 2017, 08:33:22 AM »
Probably four or five hours. Not long enough to warrant the pain. I'm out of shape right now, working to get back.

Oblivion

« Reply #4028 on: September 18, 2017, 09:51:50 AM »
I finally got my new surround sound hooked up. I went all in with Dolby Atmos and a reference tier system. My god. I was afraid Atmos would be a bust and i wouldn't be able to tell the difference and then i would have to explain it to my wife after talking her into it. Welp. This shit is ridiculous. I'm watching mad max fury road and when Joe is speaking from above the sound comes from above. Cheers from the crowd just surround you. :rejoice

We started working with Atmos audio at my job. It is indeed amazing.

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #4029 on: September 18, 2017, 10:04:10 AM »
I just pooped for the first time since Thursday night!
serge

G The Resurrected

« Reply #4030 on: September 18, 2017, 10:43:56 AM »
I just pooped for the first time since Thursday night!

OIC?

Might be time to check out Movantik. A tall cup of coffee drank quickly should also help too.

TVC15

« Reply #4031 on: September 18, 2017, 10:52:17 AM »
Coffee is the problem. I drink it constantly at work but never at home, so weekends usually mean my shits go on vacay.
serge

G The Resurrected

« Reply #4032 on: September 18, 2017, 11:29:08 AM »
Solution next weekend we go get coffee!  :lol

I make a mean cold brew that gets the job done.

if you're lazy about making coffee get one of these and you'll have coffee all the time.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XNVZDC7/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #4033 on: September 18, 2017, 07:08:55 PM »
I'm a senior member :rejoice

Tasty

« Reply #4034 on: September 18, 2017, 09:18:46 PM »

Raist

« Reply #4035 on: September 18, 2017, 09:51:22 PM »
What political views.

skullstorm

« Reply #4036 on: September 19, 2017, 11:25:28 AM »
Got to see my friend's tiny puppies for the first time, they're still blind and pretty useless but sooooo cuuute omg I can't wait till they're older and I can play with them  :heart

Raist

« Reply #4037 on: September 19, 2017, 11:29:43 AM »
I read that as a different animal at first >.>

TVC15

« Reply #4038 on: September 19, 2017, 12:45:53 PM »
I bazooka vomited after eating macaroni and cheese last night. Something just went wrong in mah tummy.
serge

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #4039 on: September 19, 2017, 01:12:26 PM »
Yeah, TVC, why do you have so many digestion issues? Is it medication related?

Last time I vommed it was in July due to me drinking too much wine and beer together at a friend's birthday party.  :doge

TVC15

« Reply #4040 on: September 19, 2017, 01:34:19 PM »
Yeah, TVC, why do you have so many digestion issues? Is it medication related?

Last time I vommed it was in July due to me drinking too much wine and beer together at a friend's birthday party.  :doge

I don't vomit nearly as much these days, actually. During my glory days, I think it was mostly anxiety and stress, and for a while after that it was like an emotional relief mechanism. Throwing up just made me feel better since it had been a response to anxiety and stress for so long.

This, this was definitely a stomach reaction. Truth be told, it was mac and cheese on top of some fairly greasy tator tots, so I think I may have just been too hard on my stomach.
serge

Freyj

« Reply #4041 on: September 19, 2017, 04:27:12 PM »
Posting this in the triumph thread out of optimism:

Final(?) interview with a REALLY good job prospect early next week. I'm pretty sure the job is mine to lose at this point from the feedback I've received. Unfortunately this is a whiteboard interview and my success rate with those is mixed. Despite the idea being to communicate, ask for clarification, etc., stuck is still stuck when it comes to solving algorithm problems.

This went well and an offer is forthcoming.  :rejoice

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #4042 on: September 21, 2017, 08:59:36 PM »
Current status of Firepower:

All electronics have been removed from under the playfield. Some small repairs have been done to the wood. The mylars have been removed with some damage to the paint but not much. The shooter lane has been repaired and sanded. All of the insert plastics have been removed and are being replaced except the unobtanium "hot dog" inserts which I sanded down and are in good shape otherwise. The other inserts will have waterslide decals overlaid for the print. 

The "Death Star" will need to have some repair from some paint loss, mylar removal, and serious aging, so I'm going to scan and print waterslide decals as a replacement. Hopefully one night next week I will be doing the first of three 2 part auto clear coats on the table, first to lock in the existing color and allow airbrush coloring, second coat to allow for the waterslide decals, and the third coat as the final show coat.

I'm having a blast. :)
rub

Freyj

« Reply #4043 on: September 21, 2017, 09:04:53 PM »
That's insanely cool. I've done some minor repairs on the pins we had at my last job, but I'd love to restore one.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #4044 on: September 21, 2017, 09:55:27 PM »
That looks like a lot of fun. You're so crafty! 👌🏻

TVC15

« Reply #4045 on: September 22, 2017, 02:15:48 PM »
Last night at movie night, my friend's cat crawled onto my lap and cuddled with me all night. At one point she crawled up on my chest and started licking the side of my face. She was so cute and cuddly and it made my day.
serge

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #4046 on: September 22, 2017, 02:31:46 PM »
bless up
©@©™

TVC15

« Reply #4047 on: September 24, 2017, 01:06:46 AM »
Achievement unlocked: A homeless lady offered to “come home with” me if I gave her 10 bucks.
serge

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #4048 on: September 24, 2017, 08:04:13 PM »
Got the second highest score on the Star Wars battlepod at the local barcade

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #4049 on: September 25, 2017, 04:42:48 AM »
finally deleted the 200GB FAT32 partition on my external drive I made for the Wii/DVD player (DivX/XviD via USB) but haven't touched in probably five years, just extended the other NTFS partition on the drive to fill up the whole thing...i've got 32gb and 64gb flash drives now if i ever need any large FAT32 action, could probably buy a 256GB one for $25 during a sale at this point

now to fill it with other junk i don't need and will wonder why i'm keeping in five years :rejoice

spoiler (click to show/hide)
i should put my wii and gamecube isos for dolphin on it actually :doge
[close]

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #4050 on: September 27, 2017, 03:35:19 AM »
Since some of you expressed concern about my whole living situation, just wanted to update and share that my move went well and we made it safely to Norway last night! Just woke up, haven't slept this long in 4-5 months.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #4051 on: September 27, 2017, 03:57:09 AM »
Since some of you expressed concern about my whole living situation, just wanted to update and share that my move went well and we made it safely to Norway last night! Just woke up, haven't slept this long in 4-5 months.

Super happy to hear you made it home! And got some sleep! I hope your readjustment to being in your native country isn't too tiring!

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4052 on: September 27, 2017, 08:20:49 AM »
I'm happy for you, Valkyrie.  :D

Raist

« Reply #4053 on: September 27, 2017, 08:50:05 AM »
I know only two languages. :goty2

Just see it this way: it's always 2 more than most americans!

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #4054 on: September 27, 2017, 09:03:38 AM »

I'm glad you and the kiddo had a safe trip.  :)
©ZH

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #4055 on: September 27, 2017, 09:12:26 AM »
Wohooo~

Question! Will you keep talking to your kid in Japanese? It'd be a shame if she mostly forgot her native language, like I did. :doge

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #4056 on: September 27, 2017, 10:21:03 AM »

Congratulations on the freedom. :)
rub

Oblivion

« Reply #4057 on: September 27, 2017, 06:41:05 PM »
I really don't want to jinx it, but I think I'm finally at a safe point. As I mentioned in many threads over the past few months, I had an elbow injury in December that fucked me over for about 8 months. After I got a PROPER diagnosis from my doctor in July, I've been able to go back to the gym and slowly work my way back up. It's been a little over two months since I've been back, and I think it finally may be safe to say that I'm more or less back to normal. :rock

I've been very careful not to celebrate too early because I had multiple instances (we're talking around the neighborhood of AT LEAST 20 times) over the past year where I thought things were going well only to relapse again a day or two after. Sometimes, even worse than before. But now, it's been at least a month where I've felt little to no discomfort, or any sharp pain. I'm able to do pretty much all my lifts now, and while I'm not 100% back to my max lifts on my bench, that seems to be more the result of having to simply build my strength back up, rather than an inability to do so because I'm in pain.

It feels good to be back. :)

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #4058 on: September 27, 2017, 08:35:47 PM »
Narrowly avoided a full reinstall of OSX after I drunkenly couldn't figure out why the fuck my audio interface was dropping everything I plugged into it by a semitone or so, but managed to remember the paltry knowledge I have of sample rates and fixed it before pulling the trigger

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #4059 on: September 27, 2017, 11:08:50 PM »
The sound was actually pitched lower? Weird.
rub

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #4060 on: September 28, 2017, 04:28:21 AM »
Native country!? This entire time I thought you were an American
:kobeyuck

Power of being European is knowing a bunch of languages, especially if your family is multicultural. :lol

Question! Will you keep talking to your kid in Japanese? It'd be a shame if she mostly forgot her native language, like I did. :doge
Dunno yet! I've been talking to her mainly in Norwegian all along but she seems to understand both just fine (she usually answers in Japanese). It's gonna be really tough to keep up the Japanese here, especially since we need to focus on her Norwegian right now so she can be understood more easily when starting kindergarten. And she'll be learning more English eventually as well in school. It would be neat, but unfortunately not a very high priority.

Raist

« Reply #4061 on: September 28, 2017, 07:18:34 AM »
But what about french tho.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #4062 on: September 28, 2017, 07:40:40 AM »
Priorities, bro. I'm not gonna force my 2 year old to be able to speak 4 different languages. All in its time.

Oblivion

« Reply #4063 on: September 28, 2017, 08:33:41 AM »
Wait, so are you European or Japanese?  :doge

Raist

« Reply #4064 on: September 28, 2017, 08:44:00 AM »
Priorities, bro. I'm not gonna force my 2 year old to be able to speak 4 different languages. All in its time.

She's 2. Her brain is like a sponge. Just drop japanese :p

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #4065 on: September 28, 2017, 08:48:07 AM »
Sorry for being confusing.. :'( I'm European and my daughter is Eurasian.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
My mom is Norwegian and my dad is French. My daughter's dad is Japanese, so her native languages would be Norwegian and Japanese, not French since we don't use it at home, idk if that's how it works or not though. Anyway there you have the short story!
[close]

Edit: This is a weird page. Someone else please talk about their ancestry too. :doge
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 08:53:53 AM by Valkyrie »

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
« Reply #4066 on: September 28, 2017, 11:19:36 AM »
I'm the dutchest man alive.
brb

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #4067 on: September 28, 2017, 11:43:47 AM »
Edit: This is a weird page. Someone else please talk about their ancestry too. :doge

My ancestors were slaves. And a Cherokee Indian who was killed by white men.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #4068 on: September 28, 2017, 12:32:51 PM »
 :(

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4069 on: September 28, 2017, 12:34:45 PM »
I'm part white, Mexican and Cherokee but I'm mostly just cute.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #4070 on: September 28, 2017, 12:47:07 PM »
my great grandad was cuban and i think my grandad was from panama

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #4071 on: September 28, 2017, 12:47:31 PM »
The only half I know about (adopted, talked a little with my birth mother who wasn't willing to reveal anything about my birth father) I'm a bit Norwegian, a bit Pacific Islander (royal Hawaiian blood actually 🤷‍♀️) for maternal grandmother side and maternal grandfather side is the resultant of an Irish immigrant buying a Cherokee woman.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4072 on: September 28, 2017, 12:49:22 PM »
Norwegian Canadian, there is also some Danish and English in there.  Basically master race all around the family tree.   

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #4073 on: September 28, 2017, 12:53:09 PM »
Bosnian(Serb)-German. :B

She's 2. Her brain is like a sponge. Just drop japanese :p
Yeah, don't worry about overload. "Use it or lose it" however is true, sadly.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4074 on: September 28, 2017, 01:01:02 PM »
Ya, the next few years will be very important for the kid to become a fluent speaker in multiple languages and even then he/she will need a peer group which also uses the language. 

You should force your 2 year old to learn multiple languages and find mothers who also enjoy forcing their 2 yearolds to learn multiple languages.  Also find a mother that beats their kid so that your kid will be all like 'my mom is really good, she doesn't beat me or nothing' in multiple languages.  Languages > mental health of children, fact.     

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4075 on: September 28, 2017, 01:07:09 PM »
All this mansplaining on how to be a mother.  I'm literally shaking right now.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #4076 on: September 28, 2017, 01:08:31 PM »
Ya, the next few years will be very important for the kid to become a fluent speaker in multiple languages and even then he/she will need a peer group which also uses the language. 

You should force your 2 year old to learn multiple languages and find mothers who also enjoy forcing their 2 yearolds to learn multiple languages.  Also find a mother that beats their kid so that your kid will be all like 'my mom is really good, she doesn't beat me or nothing' in multiple languages.  Languages > mental health of children, fact.     
D-do you wanna talk about it?

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #4077 on: September 28, 2017, 01:11:36 PM »
The sound was actually pitched lower? Weird.
Yeah it was bizarre, and the artifacting in the 'lower' sound that was playing back made me think I had somehow routed it through a pitch effect via soundflower. I thought it had to do with the bitrates (eg how if you play something recorded at 44.1khz and play it with the playback rate at 88.2 it changes an octave) but IIRC adjusting the buffer size was what actually solved it. Looking back though I think I might have had the recording rate set to 44.1 and the playback to 48 or vice versa

Raist

« Reply #4078 on: September 28, 2017, 02:34:50 PM »
All this mansplaining on how to be a mother.  I'm literally shaking right now.

Did you just assume our genders, shitlord?

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #4079 on: September 28, 2017, 02:50:15 PM »
I'm part white, Mexican and Cherokee but I'm mostly just cute.
Actual Cherokee? White girls (who think they're Native American Irish German French Russian Spanish Royal descents) are crying into their pumpkin lattes of jealousy.

Edit: Shit, sorry Cats. I honestly posted this before reading your post. :lol
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 03:08:27 PM by Valkyrie »