Author Topic: minor inconveniences that are not struggles  (Read 917959 times)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
Re: minor inconviences that are not struggles
« Reply #3960 on: July 16, 2017, 09:03:21 PM »
ya I hate beer that doesn't keep at room temp.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3961 on: July 16, 2017, 10:48:52 PM »
Just got off the phone with Expedia, re-booked my tickets for this week, costing an extra $200 total between my son's and my fares. This morning, I realized I hadn't yet sent my itinerary to my mother and, for some reason, instead of just forwarding my itinerary from mail I logged into the website to use its mail function.

Which turned out to be a lifesaver, because my itinerary showed as "COMPLETELY CANCELED."

I'd received no email, no phone call, had no warning or explanation. If I hadn't checked at the website, I'd have shown up on Friday with a canceled booking, and had to re-work the entire trip. As it is, I managed to book the same airline, slightly better layover times, but had to pay US$200 more because it was a new booking. Still, only five days prior to departure, it was possible it would have priced it right out of the range of reasonableness, so I'm grateful.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #3962 on: July 16, 2017, 10:58:24 PM »
Young son decided he really wants to watch the whole Star wars series. Episode I could bear. But Episode II is downright intolerable.  SO many mistakes.
que

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3963 on: July 16, 2017, 11:11:04 PM »
Ordered some older games off Amazon.  One of them was Drakengard 2 for the PS2.  The description was listed as "Condition: Used - Like New."  Received the game and the case wasn't in the best shape, with the back covered in various stickers.  The disc was scratched up like crazy, and no manual was included.  Instead, two game manuals for Kingdom Hearts were stuffed inside the case.  My favorite part about this was that one of the stickers on the back said "INSPECTED AND TESTED BY AMAZON."
:neogaf

Is it safe to assume it's being returned?

Oh yeah, was sent back the next day.  I ordered a similarly-priced copy off eBay.  Hope that fairs better.

Speaking of Expedia, I used them to book a vacation we went on a few weeks back.  Paid for the room months ago.  When I went to check out, there was an almost $300 bill.  $60 of this was for parking fees, but the other part was just listed as an "Expedia booking fee."  I was kind of pissed off about this and stomped over to the front desk to ask what this was, and the clerk, seemingly sensing that I was not happy, kind of hesitated and then said "don't worry about it, I'll remove it from your bill."  Makes me wonder if it's the kind of thing that they just throw onto bills and charge people if they don't say anything about it. 
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #3964 on: July 17, 2017, 12:53:52 AM »
Young son decided he really wants to watch the whole Star wars series. Episode I could bear. But Episode II is downright intolerable.  SO many mistakes.

Put on the RLM review and see if he notices.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #3965 on: July 17, 2017, 03:25:01 PM »
Rolled over my big toe with my chair, which not only hurt like a motherfucker, but is profoundly humiliating in how goddamn dumb it was

bluemax

« Reply #3966 on: July 17, 2017, 11:05:21 PM »
This weekend I helped out a distressed friend and ending up loaning her $60 so she could participate in some central American voodoo. She promised to Venmo me the money back but I know I'm never seeing it again.
NO

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #3967 on: July 18, 2017, 04:36:19 AM »
This weekend I helped out a distressed friend and ending up loaning her $60 so she could participate in some central American voodoo. She promised to Venmo me the money back but I know I'm never seeing it again.

this story needs more details

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #3968 on: July 18, 2017, 06:23:16 AM »

Tell him to get a flat and a job.

bluemax

« Reply #3969 on: July 19, 2017, 12:24:35 AM »

this story needs more details

So an ex coworker/friend of mine contacted me on Saturday. Her boyfriend (who I have never met but supposedly hit her once before), had apparently kicked her out. I, being a decentish human with a spare bedroom, offered to pick her up and let her crash if needed. She tells me she is at a bar in K-Town (about 8 miles away). So I drive in mid Saturday traffic to said bar and she is not there. The bartender tells me she just left with another friend whose name they can't recall and who I don't recognize. I take my L and walk back to my car, content that at least my heart was in the right place and I can go home and go about my day.

I get a couple of miles away when my friend calls, crying. She tells me she's going to text me an address and asks if I'll be there. I say yes, because I am dumb or something. I drive to this place, and when I get there I see her boyfriend (I've seen pictures of him) in the lobby with another person I don't know, so I play it cool and wait outside, letting my friend know I'm there. The other person I don't know comes back outside a moment later letting me know she's the one who picked my friend up earlier and we are now at her home, which is a studio apartment. The couple are having a fight inside, so I opt to wait outside, wondering if I should just leave.

After a few minutes my friend comes out and sits next to me, clearly very emotional. We talk for a few moments and then she gets up and tells me to follow her and that she has to show me something. We go up a flight of stairs, she shows me the door to her old apartment, and then she goes out the window to the fire escape and tells me to follow. We go up 3 flights of fire escape to the roof, and now I'm a tiny bit worried. She talks a lot about how she used to live her and how amazing the view is, then oscillates back to self loathing and how she isn't good enough for her boyfriend. Eventually she is standing on the edge of this building and telling me about how she used to think about jumping.

Now I'm scared, I did not sign up to witness a suicide. So I climb onto the ledge with her, standing on the outside, following her around this building. Making sure I stay close enough to keep her from jumping or falling (did I mention she was fucking drunk?). After 3/4 of a trip around the building she catches sight of a building across the street an idea hits her. She goes back onto the roof of the building and starts saying some seriously manic shit. I *thought* she said something about cleaner and I get scared that she's going to go across the street and try getting something else to offer herself.

We go back downstairs so she can get her wallet, her friend berates me for letting her disappear (like I had a fucking choice in the matter), and next thing I know we are outside. Also, her boyfriend just sort of sits there like a moron and witnesses all this without saying shit. Outside we find a friend of her boyfriend's in her boyfriend's car talking to a strange woman (probably a prostitute who was harassing him). My friend gets into the driver seat and starts freaking out about everything. Somehow the situation is resolved with her kicking the friend out of the car, rolling the windows up, telling the prostitute to get lost, and her not driving anywhere.

After this we proceed to jaywalk across a busy street to what I had incorrectly assumed was a mini mart. My next thought was that maybe this was a place to get drugs and she wanted to get high or something. This also turned out to be wrong. Inside was a place that sold: candles and incense. A prolonged discussion ensued between my friend and the proprietor, all in Spanish of course aside from when I was asked if I spoke Spanish, the end of which had my friend and I leave the place and head to a nearby Mini Mart. On our way there, my friend tells me that we are going to experience some Central American voodoo and asks if I'm okay with it. At this point I realize I'm along for the ride so I just say yes and ask if there's anything I need to be aware of. We get cash, she tells me to get $50 but of course the the machine only gives out 20s so I give her $60 and get no change in return. We go back to the candle store.

My friend hands over $100, and an agreement is reached. Some more questions are asked and then she is directed to the back of the building. I follow along, because I have no idea what else to do and no one tells me no. I see the old guy who runs the place grab 3 bottles of rubbing alcohol and I start getting concerned again. The back of the store has a little area with a chair that opens up to an outdoor patio area. I feel a bit uncomfortable going all the way out, so I sit in the chair where I can kinda of see what is going on. Also I text the friend whose place we are near to let her know we are not getting Tacos (because that is what she thought we were doing) and that there was now fire happening.

And here is where the "magic" happens. They made my friend stand in a circle of fire, fueled by rubbing alcohol. After doing it 3 times they sprayed her with something, said some more stuff, rubbed some raw eggs on her, then smacked her with a tree branch until all the leaves were off. Afterwards we walked back to the front, there was more discussion and then they gave my friend a candle and said some more stuff.

Now we proceed to go back outside and my friend is beaming, and happy and talking about how she is just like Daenerys Targaryen etc. We go back to the other friend's studio apartment which is now super cramped with her boyfriend, my friend's boyfriend, his friend and two cats. Everybody seems to be in a largely better mood, although nothing was resolved. I decide this is a good time to GTFO, so I check in and make sure its cool, then say my good byes and go on my merry way.

About 15 minutes later when I stop at the grocery store on my way home, I see that my friend posted more dramatic shit on FB. I ignore it and go out drinking. Her drama thread is gone from FB in the morning. On Monday she's posting normal shit again like nothing ever happened.

This isn't the first time I've seen her super emotionally sloppy, but I dunno if I can handle helping her out again.
NO

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #3970 on: July 19, 2017, 12:35:59 AM »
I appreciate you going through that trainwreck to be able to tell us the story.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #3971 on: July 19, 2017, 12:37:33 AM »
so the voodoo worked  :ohhh

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3972 on: July 19, 2017, 03:34:19 AM »

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #3973 on: July 19, 2017, 03:49:22 AM »
MY YOUTUBE DARK THEME IS DEAD  :brazilcry

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3974 on: July 19, 2017, 07:58:45 AM »
Sounds like they thought she had mal de ojo or something else along those lines.  The "all of a sudden better" thing is common with this shit.  My ex wife would find a reason to be dramatic, get grumpy and start crying and yelling at every one.  Her mom would perform the ritual on her and they would blame it on spirits.  Fucking hell.  Most somewhat normal Hispanics reserve this for children though.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3975 on: July 19, 2017, 07:57:03 PM »
Speaking of Expedia, I used them to book a vacation we went on a few weeks back.  Paid for the room months ago.  When I went to check out, there was an almost $300 bill.  $60 of this was for parking fees, but the other part was just listed as an "Expedia booking fee."  I was kind of pissed off about this and stomped over to the front desk to ask what this was, and the clerk, seemingly sensing that I was not happy, kind of hesitated and then said "don't worry about it, I'll remove it from your bill."  Makes me wonder if it's the kind of thing that they just throw onto bills and charge people if they don't say anything about it.

About everyone I know has come out of the woodwork with their own Expedia story now. It's a shitshow, through and through. I have used it a half dozen times, successfully, but apparently that was just dumb luck?

I'm done with them now. I'm going with a travel agent who works with my wife's school.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #3976 on: July 20, 2017, 08:47:58 PM »
girlfriend is in san diego for comiccon and i'm on my own for 4 days. first time i've been solo for this amount of time in well over a year.

feels weird and shitty
nat

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #3977 on: July 20, 2017, 09:33:42 PM »
4 days? You sound clingy.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #3978 on: July 21, 2017, 09:28:16 AM »
we're both pretty clingy so it works out
nat

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3979 on: July 22, 2017, 03:41:55 PM »
accidentally payed 25$ for the capcom humble bundle instead of the 1.01$ I was planning on paying

skullstorm

« Reply #3980 on: July 23, 2017, 04:35:28 PM »
Got stuck in the middle of nowhere today and had to walk almost 7 miles home and it was way too hot and sunny for that. My legs are kinda tired and I got a few annoying blisters on my feet but the worst is that hours later I still feel all woozy  :fbm 

Fuck u sun  >:(

skullstorm

« Reply #3981 on: July 23, 2017, 04:47:06 PM »
Got stuck in the middle of nowhere today and had to walk almost 7 miles home and it was way too hot and sunny for that. My legs are kinda tired and I got a few annoying blisters on my feet but the worst is that hours later I still feel all woozy  :fbm 

Fuck u sun  >:(

Oh yeah and I had to hang out with some weird old hippy dude while in said middle of nowhere place. He had no shoes on, naturally, tried very hard to make me eat some boiled eggs he was carrying around, talked about colonialism and finally disappeared into the woods.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #3982 on: July 23, 2017, 05:31:13 PM »
I keep waking up to mosquito bites on my legs (definitely not bed bugs), and it's always so damn itchy. It sucks because I was never a target for mosquitoes but for some reason they're all over me lately (specifically my legs). Also I don't see any mosquitoes inside the apartment, so no idea where they come from. Maybe they're biting me while I'm outside but I don't get itchy until I wake up?

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #3983 on: July 23, 2017, 06:57:24 PM »
That really sucks. I've alway been a mosquito target, I hate em

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3984 on: July 23, 2017, 09:56:09 PM »
TWO fucking papers came out today doing what my current project is on.  Fuck im sick of being a loser in academia. 

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #3985 on: July 23, 2017, 11:15:31 PM »
That sucks but when you're a grad student struggling for funding, time, and manpower the only thing you can do is come up with a crazy unique idea that fits all those and that no one else has tried.

How often do you smoke weed?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3986 on: July 24, 2017, 06:18:32 AM »
Never

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #3987 on: July 24, 2017, 08:36:54 AM »
TWO fucking papers came out today doing what my current project is on.  Fuck im sick of being a loser in academia. 

©@©™

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #3988 on: July 24, 2017, 09:43:46 AM »
Sooo demotivated at work, been there for a few months and the place is alright but the sales are not coming. Manager says Im doing good and putting in the work but its hard coming in to no results. Every day is just snails progress it seems.

There is a newer guy that already made two sales (working on a different industry though which i think is also why Im having a hard time cause my industry is a turd).

Its all just meeeeh. Really need to make a sale soon or Ill go insane, plus Im worried about job security if things continue like this.

Guess nothing else to do but suck it up and keep at it, but i can feel getting unhappy. Fuck sales. Really need to find some other occupation cause i cant keep dealing with the stress till I retire.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #3989 on: July 24, 2017, 10:39:58 AM »
I feel you lager. I'm getting to that point myself, where the stress/time is no longer worth it. I look back at that job for the university and think maybe I should've taken it. But then I don't think it'd be worth the money at all even for that.
que

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3990 on: July 24, 2017, 06:24:02 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3991 on: July 27, 2017, 02:11:44 PM »
Just sent out an email I have been stressing over for 2 months.  Forgot to fill in the subject line. 

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #3992 on: July 28, 2017, 09:46:52 AM »
at rope's end with my job. Working all the time. Stress is through the roof. My sweet wife knows I'm not OK because I hardly speak to anyone and wants to talk about it, but the last thing I want is to talk about this stuff anymore. I would leave but there's no real jobs for what I do close to where I live. I could move, but we're sorta settled here and it has great programs for my autistic son. The job just isn't worth the stress anymore, but without moving I don't see a way out, well without having to take a ridiculous pay cut.
que

archnemesis

« Reply #3993 on: July 28, 2017, 10:32:20 AM »
Do you need the high salary? If you can get by on the teacher salary then that seems like a good solution.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #3994 on: July 28, 2017, 10:35:39 AM »
what do you do puppy? your wife?

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #3995 on: July 28, 2017, 10:54:05 AM »
what do you do puppy? your wife?
Wife's a photographer, her schedule is variable.
I'm a director at a consulting firm.

As to taking a lower pay. My daughter is starting college, and our medical expenses are big (3 people with asthma, one autistic kid, one with a mild case of cerebral palsy). I'm prepared to take a pay cut. But I can't go to a teacher's salary. Also, not likely that they're going to be like "You haven't taught since college and you've been in the corporate world ever since? Sure! Let's put  you in charge of a class!"
que

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #3996 on: July 28, 2017, 03:59:21 PM »
Is starting your own company/being a consultant an option and will it lower your workload?

You might be down a bit cash wise when you consider losing benefits and having liability insurance but as a director who worked their way up in a field they didn't have a degree in, I'm sure your experience and connections are valuable.

At the very least, I do believe non-compete agreements are unenforceable in Cali at least.

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #3997 on: July 28, 2017, 05:20:24 PM »
Puppy/Ronito and the rest of the Bore should form a consulting firm.  We can consult large online communities on how to be less shit. :doge

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #3998 on: July 28, 2017, 05:27:52 PM »
This should be in the struggle thread but I don't wanna sound too dramatic.

I really miss cuddling and hugging.
Also only got to sleep 2 hours so I'm feeling kinda bad.

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #3999 on: July 28, 2017, 05:37:56 PM »
Sounds like you need The Snuggler.

bluemax

« Reply #4000 on: July 28, 2017, 11:25:51 PM »

The last time I got to cuddle/hug a girl it made me realize how long it had been and how nice it is. Alas, I'm stuck with only my dog for the foreseeable future.

Apparently there is a dude in Santa Monica who gets paid to dry hump people. I wonder what kind of license someone needs for that?
NO

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #4001 on: July 29, 2017, 02:11:54 AM »
Is starting your own company/being a consultant an option and will it lower your workload?

You might be down a bit cash wise when you consider losing benefits and having liability insurance but as a director who worked their way up in a field they didn't have a degree in, I'm sure your experience and connections are valuable.

At the very least, I do believe non-compete agreements are unenforceable in Cali at least.
Yeah. I talked to a friend who owns his own S-Corp and he's totally like "Dude, let's partner up."
I'd have to get my own projects but I gotta admit, I don't think it will get any better. The problem is, how do I get my own project while working for my current company? I'm so busy that I doubt I can do that. A damned if I do/damned if I don't thing.
que

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #4002 on: July 29, 2017, 03:09:28 AM »

That's rough.

Is it safe to assume that there was a lack of physical affection from your Japanese husband? That appears to be… a common problem.

Things have been much better lately, but we've been married for 20 years, and let's say the lack of physical affection in Japan has been one of the worst aspects of living there.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #4003 on: July 29, 2017, 03:33:12 AM »

Yeah. I talked to a friend who owns his own S-Corp and he's totally like "Dude, let's partner up."
I'd have to get my own projects but I gotta admit, I don't think it will get any better. The problem is, how do I get my own project while working for my current company? I'm so busy that I doubt I can do that. A damned if I do/damned if I don't thing.

Become a teacher.
Do the odd consulting gig on the side.
???
Profit.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #4004 on: July 29, 2017, 04:19:44 AM »
That's rough.

Is it safe to assume that there was a lack of physical affection from your Japanese husband? That appears to be… a common problem.

Things have been much better lately, but we've been married for 20 years, and let's say the lack of physical affection in Japan has been one of the worst aspects of living there.
Sorry to hear that. 20 years is a long time though. And I'm glad to hear you guys are doing better! But I'm not surprised to hear you've seen the same problem.

I'm not clingy but I do love physical affection. Unfortunately it seems like he didn't care for it.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 08:12:15 PM by Valkyrie »

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
« Reply #4005 on: July 29, 2017, 06:03:04 AM »
Starting your own company to lower workload is an insane idea.
brb

skullstorm

« Reply #4006 on: July 29, 2017, 08:25:20 AM »
I got u Val.

Look at that big ol' nipple  :omg

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #4007 on: July 29, 2017, 09:58:16 AM »
Starting your own company to lower workload is an insane idea.
That should give you an idea of how insane the workload is right now. Honestly, I suspect it'd roughly be the same amount of work, but at least I'd have more control/time at home/time off.
que

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #4008 on: July 29, 2017, 01:27:37 PM »
I'm in the same boat as ronito: high position (even the same director title), pays well, with a godawful workload and no end in sight.  All the alternative options (deep pay cuts, shit management, uncertain future, etc.) are objectively worse so I stick around.  Currently I just stash as much money in savings and investments as possible in case it becomes too unbearable and I need an escape plan that won't have me wondering how I can pay the bills.
🍆🍆

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4009 on: July 30, 2017, 02:01:49 PM »
Recently found out that it would only be another $10 a month to almost double my Internet speed.  It was supposed to go into effect on Friday.

Went home and...the speed was exactly same.  Checked my account and it listed me as being on the new package.

Called up AT&T and got someone who clearly appeared to be going off a script.  Went through the generic troubleshooting steps and seemed to think the Internet was slower, to the point that I'd interrupt her and say "no, not slower...it's the same as it was before this supposed upgrade."

She dispatches a tech to come out, surprisingly on the weekend.  He was here this morning and said all the lines were fine.  Then he calls support directly and gets them to check my account.  They never actually upgraded my plan.  :doge  Once this was changed, the speed increased.  When the guy was leaving, he seemed noticeably ticked off (at them) and was ranting about how bad the people on the phones can be.  Confirmed they were outsourced and just couldn't believe that they didn't bother to actually check to see if the account had been changed.
:neogaf
ど助平

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #4010 on: July 30, 2017, 02:42:14 PM »
being very emotional today and idk why

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4011 on: July 30, 2017, 02:45:50 PM »
There there bud, have you tried posting anime gifs?

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #4012 on: July 30, 2017, 03:10:31 PM »
Don't forget yourself in the process of blessing up everyone else.

Deep breaths. You'll be fine, as a wise man always tells us.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4013 on: July 30, 2017, 09:23:22 PM »
Begun?  It's been going on for a month or two down here.  :-\  Little fuckers love to swarm right around the front area where I take the dog out. 

Came in the other day and noticed that I had blood on my forehead.  Looked in the mirror-- there was a dead mosquito stuck to head in a splatter of blood.  Washed it off and then noticed another dead mosquito splattered on my arm.  I have no idea how that happened.   :lol
ど助平

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #4014 on: July 31, 2017, 02:35:24 AM »
That's rough.

Sorry to hear that. 20 years is a long time though. And I'm glad to hear you guys are doing better! But I'm not surprised to hear you've seen the same problem.

I'm not clingy but I do love physical affection. Unfortunately it seems like he didn't care for it.

One of the reasons I've heard is that once a child enters the scene, the "couple" have been automatically changed into "mother and father," definitively stepping away from a romantic relationship. That started to turn around when I mentioned it was not part of my culture, and she had not married someone from a shared culture. Sure as fuck took some time and patience though.

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #4015 on: July 31, 2017, 09:14:51 PM »
I no joke can't stop whacking off as of late.  :snoop

It's probably due to all the stress I've been dealing with at work.

Probably time for me to do another "no-fap" month. But with breaks at the end of each week so I don't go crazy like last time.  :doge

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4016 on: July 31, 2017, 09:24:09 PM »
DONUTS AND CRANKS! DONUTS AND CRANKS!

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #4017 on: July 31, 2017, 09:29:02 PM »
I just snorted my coffee. Dear god.

:lol

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #4018 on: July 31, 2017, 09:32:33 PM »
I no joke can't stop whacking off as of late.  :snoop

It's probably due to all the stress I've been dealing with at work.

Probably time for me to do another "no-fap" month. But with breaks at the end of each week so I don't go crazy like last time.  :doge

leo season no fap month do it but dont even break just stop fapping breathe deep all you need is within you bless up

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #4019 on: August 01, 2017, 05:20:14 AM »
I can't stop listening to cat no banana multiple times every day