Author Topic: miyamoto is fucking senile; where is logan's run when you need it  (Read 2011 times)

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
The Man Who Made ''Mario'' Super [ew.com]

Game designer Shigeru Miyamoto — the genial visionary who gave us Mario, Donkey Kong, and The Legend of Zelda — has often been called the Steven Spielberg of the game industry. (In fact, some might argue that it is Spielberg who is the Miyamoto of the movie business.) His latest game, Super Paper Mario for the Wii, was released to great reviews just a few weeks ago, but it's an upcoming Wii title, Super Mario Galaxy, that has fans excited in ways that are almost unseemly. We recently caught up with the 54-year-old Miyamoto — listed recently as one of Time magazine's 100 most influential people — and (through a translator) he gave us an unexpectedly candid interview in which he discusses what social issues he might one day address in a videogame, admits his disappointment with the sales of The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, and reveals whether or not his son will follow in his footsteps.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: You obviously know a lot about videogames. But do you watch any other forms of entertainment? How about movies?

SHIGERU MIYAMOTO: I just saw both Letters from Iwo Jima and Flags of our Fathers. They were very good and thought-provoking films. Although I wanted them to superimpose a little picture-in-picture on the screen so you could see what was happening in the other movie at the same time!

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Those films deal with some serious themes: war, sacrifice, and the notion of heroism. Your games are mostly upbeat and sunny. Do you ever think about challenging yourself to design a game that addresses a real-world topic or carries a deeper social message?

SHIGERU MIYAMOTO: Maybe if I were to come across a problem in my life that affected me I would think about that. A game like that would be very interesting to make. At the Independent Games Festival at the last GDC [the Game Developer's Conference] I saw a game, Defcon, which is about thermonuclear war — the whole world is destroyed. That's a very powerful message to put in a game.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: What are some real-world issues that would you consider putting into a game?

SHIGERU MIYAMOTO: I have some ideas. One is that in Japan, there are a lot of trains that have sections reserved for the elderly or pregnant women. Young people in Japan sometimes sit in them, but if people come up and need them, you are supposed to get up. But most of the kids don't! It really upsets me. If I could build a game that somehow made the young people respect their elders... And there is another issue bugging me. In Japan there are a lot of people who freelance or work under the table — people who don't pay any taxes. I look at places in the world where people understand that paying taxes to the government helps society. In Japan there's not that understanding. So [social responsibility] is yet another issue I might address in a game. But I probably sound like an old man when I bring these things up.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Do you feel like an old man?

SHIGERU MIYAMOTO: Well, I'm getting older and I have to pay more attention to my weight now. [Rubs his tummy] So that's sort of a hobby of mine. I try to swim at least twice a week. People say I should play the Wii to work out, but whenever I do that it feels like I'm at work!

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: You mentioned social issues in Japan. But games are a global business — and the youth of America have a host of unique issues in front of them. The reason I mention this is that one criticism of Nintendo's games is that they are very Japanese-centric. American gamers have bought more copies of Halo than they did of Metroid, for instance. Do you ever worry that you're losing touch with what young American players might want to play?

SHIGERU MIYAMOTO: I could make Halo. It's not that I couldn't design that game. It's just that I choose not to. One thing about my game design is that I never try to look for what people want and then try to make that game design. I always try to create new experiences that are fun to play.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Some game companies in America don't think like that. They are mostly risk- averse, producing sequels and franchise extensions, rather than exploring new ideas. There is a lot of emphasis on market research and focus groups. Does that hurt the games business?

SHIGERU MIYAMOTO: With rising budgets, I understand why game companies have a great deal of concern if they don't design games in this way. But you need to create what you want to create! In that sense, I would really like to see people develop games like I do. When I show a game to people I don't ask their opinion or give them a survey. I just watch their eyes and their face while they play. Do they smile? Do they look frustrated? So I guess I do test my games — but it isn't very scientific.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: You've had great success in your ability to predict what players will find fun to play. Have there been games that you thought would be fun but didn't turn out that way?

SHIGERU MIYAMOTO: Yes, that has definitely happened. In the past we've worked with some outside development houses on titles like F-Zero and Starfox — and let me just say that we were disappointed with the results. Consumers got very excited about the idea of those games, but the games themselves did not deliver. And, well, to be honest with you, Zelda: Twilight Princess is not doing very well at all in Japan. It is very disappointing. But it is doing okay here in America.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Why do you think Zelda isn't doing well in Japan?

SHIGERU MIYAMOTO: Well, I think a lot of people who bought the Wii are not necessarily the types of people who are interested in playing that kind of game. And a lot of the people who would want to play it [due to chronic shortages of the console] can't find a Wii! But mostly, I think it's that there are fewer and fewer people who are interested in playing a big role-playing game like Zelda.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: I know your son is graduating from college this summer. Has he expressed any interest in following in your footsteps and designing a game?

SHIGERU MIYAMOTO: He wants to get into event planning. It makes me kind of happy because it's somewhat similar to the task I do, which is coordinating things between members of a team and coming up with a vision. But no, he hasn't expressed any interest in doing a videogame. He is quite creative though. The other day, for instance, he had to put together a promotional video for one of his college clubs about skiing. So over the weekend we drove around town and captured footage of a bunch of skiing advertisements. Then we went back home to edit the footage. It was fun to work on a creative project with him.
duc

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Re: miyamoto is fucking senile; where is logan's run when you need it
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 02:36:47 AM »
lol, figured you would notice this article.

Haven't people already figured this by his midlife crisis he had on stage at GDC?
fat

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 02:39:18 AM »
the fact that nintendo recognizes that zelda isn't gonna sell on the wii tells you exactly what types of (non-)games they ARE gonna make for it
duc

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 02:40:31 AM »
I can understand being disappointed with the results from farming out Star Fox, but F-Zero? GX was AWESOME.
WDW

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 02:45:38 AM »
mario fps confirmed.
萌え~

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 04:16:46 AM »
I can understand being disappointed with the results from farming out Star Fox, but F-Zero? GX was AWESOME.

It was mentioned on the gaf that Miyamoto may have been talking about the F-Zero GBA games that followed the anime series.  Or maybe he was just talking about sales.  All I know is that I'd much rather have F-Zero on Wii than Excite Truck.

ど助平

etiolate

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 05:06:11 AM »
The answers are completely Japanese centric, in viewpoint of everything.  I think Nintendo was mostly concerned with winning Japan back with Wii and now that it has success, they're letting Reggie court some western devs to take care of the American side of things.  But I get the feeling Iwata and them don't really care about America.

Beezy

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 06:05:31 AM »
Iwata and them don't really care about America.
:o

Oblivion

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 12:03:11 PM »
the fact that nintendo recognizes that zelda isn't gonna sell on the wii tells you exactly what types of (non-)games they ARE gonna make for it

But it IS selling on the Wii. Even better than the GC. Which is what makes this interview all the more confusing.

I pretty agree with Etiliolate. It honestly sounds like they're just about to make excuses not to make the next Zelda game as big as TP.

Himu

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 02:04:49 PM »
Like I said on irc if Miyamoto designed Halo, it would feature Bunnies with pitchforks as the main enemies, someone else would have come up with the idea, and Miyamoto would take all the credit.
IYKYK

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 02:11:15 PM »
But I get the feeling Iwata and them don't really care about America.

They really don't-all of their corporate decisions are completely nippon-centric and reflect that country's business sense.

They are incredibly cautious and risk adverse, which jives with literally every Japanese customer and tech I've dealt with in my years at a company with large AP exposure and clientel. That corporate culture has brought you the following things:

*) Jokingly underpowered hardware in both the DS and Wii. Cheap and safe, no ball-busting R&D and you get huge tool/asset reuse.
*) Chronic shortages, because it's cheaper and safer to let the customer wait to buy a in-demand product rather than actually ramp up manufacturing to meet demand.
*) Mascot mania game lineup that completely shuns the high-production values that US/European gamers eat up.

Now this is just what I understand from some reading around, please put my ass in the know if I'm completely wrong-

Further, they make their systems, games, and technology with the Japanese gamer, and not American gamer, in mind. That's why you have the silliness of friend codes and no real dedicated online infrastructure. My understanding is that gamers who play online in Japan want to keep that fact to themselves as much as possible (some taboo maybe? don't want the boss to know his salarymen like playing online?), and the friend code system, with its prerequisite handshake outside of the actual game, handles that desire. It has jack-all to do with child predators and what not, and only idiots or fanboys buy that excuse.

I never had the opinion that Nintendo of Japan really cared much about the US operations outside of Shiggy coming over to add pastels and ensure that any NOA first party game made in the US favors simpleton fun over any degree of real sophistication.
hex

Himu

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 02:21:39 PM »
frag :bow
IYKYK

Cheebs

• How's my posting? Call 1-866-MAF-BANS to report flame bait.
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2007, 02:22:09 PM »
that is 100% true. And the irony is both DS and Wii are outselling their competition in America.

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2007, 02:25:44 PM »
I like the point where Miyamoto was like, "I totally could have made Halo...if I wanted to."
乱学者

Himu

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2007, 02:28:09 PM »
Goddamn there's a good example of Miyamoto dick sucking right in this very article.

Super Paper Mario isn't a Miyamoto game like EW says. Miyamoto hasn't actually directed a game since Mario 64 or something. The developer is Intelligent Systems. It's not a Miyamoto game at all and yet people seem to give him credit as being his game. Why is this the case? Is it a Japanese thing to do this?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 02:30:36 PM by Himuro »
IYKYK

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2007, 02:41:09 PM »
And the irony is both DS and Wii are outselling their competition in America.

Sony failed to realize that there was tons of life left in the PS2, and should have been marketing it with new "casual" games as a Wii alternative the revelation that the hardware on the Wii was a complete joke. Had they done that, the Wii would have had its thunder stolen and would be well on its way to only-owned-by-fanboys Virtual Boy status, and the gaming industry would be all the better for it.
hex

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2007, 02:44:39 PM »
Super Paper Mario isn't a Miyamoto game like EW says. Miyamoto hasn't actually directed a game since Mario 64 or something. The developer is Intelligent Systems. It's not a Miyamoto game at all and yet people seem to give him credit as being his game. Why is this the case? Is it a Japanese thing to do this?

I think it's sort of a common misconception, that Shiggy is some kind of god of micromanagement and controls every single part of every in-house game Nintendo makes. In reality, he seems more like the crazy rich uncle that you have to be nice to if you want your inheiritance, so you shut up and do what he says.

I still think the San Diego Chicken metaphor is the best one I've heard for Miyamoto. Except Shiggy basically GM's the company, too.
hex

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2007, 02:57:43 PM »
I don't see how forcing me to spend a lot more money would make the industry any "better". I'm a fan of arcade like games, couldn't give a shit about graphics (a good soundtrack, on the other hand...) and I don't have the time to spend investing hundreds of hours into games anymore. At least there is one company still thinking of me out there :)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 02:59:53 PM by tiesto »
^_^

Oblivion

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2007, 03:06:23 PM »

They really don't-all of their corporate decisions are completely nippon-centric and reflect that country's business sense.

They are incredibly cautious and risk adverse, which jives with literally every Japanese customer and tech I've dealt with in my years at a company with large AP exposure and clientel. That corporate culture has brought you the following things:

Wouldn't that apply for Sony too since they're Japanese as well?

But yeah, I agree roughly with what you said.

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2007, 03:24:34 PM »
I don't see how forcing me to spend a lot more money would make the industry any "better". I'm a fan of arcade like games, couldn't give a shit about graphics (a good soundtrack, on the other hand...) and I don't have the time to spend investing hundreds of hours into games anymore. At least there is one company still thinking of me out there :)

Sony and it's third parties could have easily filled that niche on the PS2 and kept that system alive and well-supported for another 3 years. Probably with $29.99 MSRP games to boot and a huge back-catalogue and a flash-memory based USB network adapter for arcadey titles.

Too focused on the PS3 though. :(
hex

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2007, 03:28:00 PM »

Wouldn't that apply for Sony too since they're Japanese as well?

But yeah, I agree roughly with what you said.

Sony's used to taking big techincal jumps and overengineering their products across their consumer electronics division, where you're constantly one-upping the competition with features and selling your product for large profit margins. They took that mentality to the PS3 and misjudged (read: overshot) the market's demand and expectations.

I think the one thing we can learn about the PS3 and the Wii launches is that consoles have a lot longer lifespan to them than the hardware companies realize. Also, the market is pretty sensitive to price-even that "core gamer" market that's so lucrative on the software side.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 03:29:40 PM by Fragamemnon »
hex

Eduardo24

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2007, 10:18:32 PM »
Why does the article say that Miyamoto created Super Paper Mario? :-\

Pikmin, Brain Age, Nintendogs and now SPM....the man gets credited for too many things he didn´t even designed.
DRA

etiolate

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2007, 11:50:22 PM »
wait wait

The SNES, N64 and GC weren't low tech in comparison to others.  I don't get why people started acting like the Wii is the rule when it's really the anomaly. It's just that Nintendo realized by the time of the Wii that the tech battle isn't the real battle and stopped worrying about it. The Wii is more along the lines of what Sony was, less traditional games and going after a different demographic. 

And I think everyone but MS knew the systems had a lot longer shelf life than they were given.  If it wasn't for 360, I don't see there being a PS3 or Wii launching when they did. I wasn't happy with the shortened cycle last gen. A lot of my favorite games normally come out deep into a generation cycle, when devs have figured out the systems and are pushing them further, while trying new ideas to freshen up their games.  I'm sure most devs haven't really touched the possibilities of last gen, especially if you look at the disparity between RE4 on GC and most every Wii title.