Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2083768 times)

ZephyrFate

Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #6780 on: February 18, 2013, 01:20:41 AM »
Catching up on the new Spartacus, just saw the second ep. Not liking Caeser at fucking all...still, good episode. Crassus is quickly becoming one of my favorite characters.
We will find out what was going on with Caesar and his penis (most likely genital warts) in episode 4, and also I think he's fantastic.

As for his facial hair, that's basically addressed in episode 2. Crassus is keeping him that way because he's not fit to be a proper Roman yet.

I don't remember Crassus telling Caesar that, would be pretty weird to tell a member of such an important family that.

Somebody on GAF speculated that the blood ritual is to drain blood from that area so that sexual impulse is inhibited allowing a man to completely dedicate his mind to the fighting.
Crassus straight up told him he had spent too long away from Rome. That's a big reason why he named Tiberius his voice and command instead of Caesar, who is irrational and wild. Thus, the facial hair stays.

Robo

« Reply #6781 on: February 18, 2013, 02:35:28 AM »
http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/tv/my-strange-addiction

Nothing else on TV is worth my time.
obo

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #6782 on: February 18, 2013, 08:48:20 AM »
Banshee is fantastic, loving all The Wire actors.
Drunk

Beezy

« Reply #6783 on: February 18, 2013, 10:04:28 AM »
Who else is from The Wire is in Banshee besides the drifter dude in the last episode?

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #6784 on: February 18, 2013, 11:54:36 AM »
Sugar.
:{]

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #6785 on: February 18, 2013, 05:36:52 PM »
Eric P, is bookmarked your Arrow comment a while back. Yeah, it's really fun!

His bf and ex are amazingly bad actors too, which adds lols.
:{]

Diunx

« Reply #6786 on: February 18, 2013, 11:06:13 PM »
The chick from the first episode of Black Mirror season 2 is insanely hot! Many faps will be had tonight.
Drunk

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #6787 on: February 18, 2013, 11:15:23 PM »
I wish they'd spin off Daryl and Merle into their own walking dead show. They could travel the country, and Merle could try to rob the minorities they help, and Daryl could press his crossbow against Merle's head while teaching him a life lesson in every episode.

"Put down the Doritos, Merle."
"Boy you better get that thing away from my head. We helped 'em, now it's time to help ourselves to whatever they got in this van."
"It ain't right taking people's food. They got kids."
"It's only fair, little brother. Injuns don't like Doritos, nohow."
"You don't know that. Put 'em down."
"Is this supposed to be one of them - whaddyacallems? Where, this is kinda like we're the white settlers who acted all friendly with the Native Americans, but really we're just pretending to help so we can steal their land?"
"Metaphor? Sure."
"And the Doritos are the land?"
"Yeah."
"Awww..."
*throws Doritos back into the van, stomps away mad while slow piano plays, shoots dead person in the head without looking*
sup

Beezy

« Reply #6788 on: February 18, 2013, 11:36:26 PM »
 :lol

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #6789 on: February 18, 2013, 11:43:08 PM »
^such genius.

Just finished House of Cards anyhow, that show is so above B-tier. It's at least as good as something like Breaking Bad. Spacey is amazing and that may have just made some people assume every character with less screentime just wasn't that important, but actually every other character is very interesting, smart, and even well-acted. Frank Underwood is just the glue that brings them all together.

Granted, some parts of it are a bit farfetched but no more than any other show on TV. There's also nothing else like it in the US as far as I know.

Maybe I'm just a little bit juvenile, but I would really like it if they grabbed one of the directors from Justified or Breaking Bad to get some crazy stylish cinematography going on. At least this show lets you work in ass and tits into the shot.

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #6790 on: February 19, 2013, 10:51:37 PM »
Just watched the first episode of The Following. It hooked me enough to keep going. and kevin bacon is still one of my faves
dur

ZephyrFate

« Reply #6791 on: February 20, 2013, 02:37:34 AM »
The Jeselnik Offensive on Comedy Central is so good. I love Anthony Jeselnik.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6792 on: February 20, 2013, 07:30:57 AM »
Black Mirror S2 E2 started off as the worst one yet IMO. I was kinda disappointed but the end was fantastic. Love this show.

Enl

« Reply #6793 on: February 20, 2013, 11:29:17 PM »
Black Mirror S2 E2 started off as the worst one yet IMO. I was kinda disappointed but the end was fantastic. Love this show.

Yeah the opening was a a bit weaker than the others but I was still having fun with it. I was kinda guessing where it was going

spoiler (click to show/hide)
with the game show but then they started throwing extra twists upon the usual twist. Much like everything else in Black Mirror, it was a cool and yet chilling concept.
[close]

The two stories this season have even more of a Twilight Zone feel than the last. I'm still hoping they do at least one more far future episode like s1 ep2.
mmm

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6794 on: February 21, 2013, 07:21:00 AM »
I was guessing the same thing.  And I thought I had it at the start of the reveal.  Still loved it though.  It's definitely one that lingers, especially with the credit clips.  Something like Fifteen Million Credits would be awesome.  The tech future stuff they've got going on has been pretty reserved compared to Eps 2 and 3 of Season One.  S1 E03 is my favorite by far though. 

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #6795 on: February 21, 2013, 09:48:11 AM »
Season 3 of Fringe is kind of a drag. The show's appeal is its cast, but the current plot makes it so half the episodes don't feature the show's best characters.
zzzzz

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #6796 on: February 22, 2013, 02:31:22 PM »
Justified :bow

ZephyrFate

« Reply #6797 on: February 22, 2013, 02:46:19 PM »
Enlightened is basically poetry in TV form. And it completely annihilates the show it shares the hour slot with, Girls.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #6798 on: February 22, 2013, 05:39:22 PM »

It redeemed itself from the shitty fighter side story.  Show is kicking lots of ass :bow2
🍆🍆

ZephyrFate

« Reply #6799 on: February 22, 2013, 10:22:31 PM »
that was the darkest fucking episode of Spartacus ever. Holy SHIT.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #6800 on: February 23, 2013, 04:15:02 AM »
Spartacus was brutal. I mean I knew what was going to happen with the soldiers when I saw the episode title but then everything else. Over half the season is left, right?

Banshee was also super fucked up. It feels like they tried to cram as much emotion as possible into one episode. Really big change from last week.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #6801 on: February 23, 2013, 02:44:04 PM »
Got caught up on Parks and Rec after having missed most of this season. Still the best comedy on TV.

Diunx

« Reply #6802 on: February 23, 2013, 09:58:16 PM »
Holy fuck Spartacus was amazing!!!
Drunk

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #6803 on: February 23, 2013, 10:14:51 PM »
Utopia's ending was far more optimistic than i anticipated.  so now i don't know if they're going for a second season and just wanted to keep some people alive or what

Tonya

ZephyrFate

« Reply #6804 on: February 24, 2013, 07:19:50 AM »
Enlightened is the best criticism of corporate-run America that you can ever watch.

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #6805 on: February 24, 2013, 10:00:54 AM »
nothing goes unscathed on Enlightened.  you could just as easily say its a critique on far-left new age movements.

Polari

• Hello darkness my old friend I come to talk to you again
« Reply #6806 on: February 24, 2013, 12:13:05 PM »
Archer this week was great. Archer's TP trouble and Cyril's snake drawing were both amazing.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #6807 on: February 24, 2013, 12:54:12 PM »
Enlightened is the best criticism of corporate-run America that you can ever watch.

Any nudity?

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #6808 on: February 24, 2013, 04:04:04 PM »
Watched the final season of 30 rock.

I always feel like that show lost something as it went on and sort of became obsessed with celebrity cameos. Funny show but never quite as good as it could have been.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #6809 on: February 24, 2013, 05:39:23 PM »

Any nudity?
Not really. And it doesn't really need it.

Barry Egan

Barry Egan

« Reply #6811 on: February 25, 2013, 02:21:18 AM »
Someone seriously wrote all those words about Girls?

its the most polarizing show on television so its not surprising people are writing so much about it.

cool breeze

« Reply #6812 on: February 25, 2013, 03:19:45 AM »
Girls hovers between hate-watch and genuine enjoyment for me.  I can see normal people just picking one side or the other.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #6813 on: February 25, 2013, 07:25:21 AM »
Supernatural: season 2 is better than season 1. It's not great tv or anything, but its a fun ride and much less stilted than s1.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #6814 on: February 25, 2013, 07:27:18 AM »
agreed

really liked season3  but didn't get any farther than that
Tonya

Beezy

« Reply #6815 on: February 25, 2013, 09:36:06 AM »
Girls hovers between hate-watch and genuine enjoyment for me.  I can see normal people just picking one side or the other.
This season has mostly been hate-watch for me besides maybe an episode or two.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #6816 on: February 25, 2013, 09:47:45 AM »
I'm too shallow to watch a show called Girls filled with ugly ones. Plus I've never heard anything good or interesting about it. It's basically hipster Sex In The City from what I've heard.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #6817 on: February 26, 2013, 07:31:13 AM »
I watched the first few episodes of Girls courtesy of The Internet Store and that was a few hours of my life I'll never get back.

I'm too shallow to watch a show called Girls filled with ugly ones. Plus I've never heard anything good or interesting about it. It's basically hipster Sex In The City from what I've heard.

It is.  Sometimes shows just aren't for people and Girls is that way for me.  So I don't bother to watch it.  I heard good things about True Blood but the concept doesn't interest me in the slightest, so I don't watch it.  You can go watch Tiny Furniture on Netflix and see what you think of it.  If you don't like it, then don't waste your time with Girls.
🍆🍆

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #6818 on: February 26, 2013, 10:18:43 AM »
some show just popped up on Hulu called The Tribe from NZ.  described as Mad Max meets Degrassi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tribe_%28TV_series%29

any NZers have an opinion on it?
Tonya

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #6819 on: February 26, 2013, 02:56:36 PM »
I watched the pilot episode of Enlightened and liked it a lot. Laura Dern is pretty amazing.

I also watched the pilot episode of Girls, and felt it was a perfectly decent B-tier show. I'm not sure why it's so polarizing. To me that's like if Identity Thief was the most polarizing movie of the year. Can't we just agree that it's a decent B-tier show that, at its worst, isn't offensively bad, and at its best is kind of funny with decent acting?

Girls isn't really polarizing at all in the sense that some people will like a show and some people will not like a show (like every other show out there) but hipsters gonna hipster
🍆🍆

ZephyrFate

« Reply #6820 on: February 26, 2013, 03:03:52 PM »
I watched the pilot episode of Enlightened and liked it a lot. Laura Dern is pretty amazing.

I also watched the pilot episode of Girls, and felt it was a perfectly decent B-tier show. I'm not sure why it's so polarizing. To me that's like if Identity Thief was the most polarizing movie of the year. Can't we just agree that it's a decent B-tier show that, at its worst, isn't offensively bad, and at its best is kind of funny with decent acting?
Enlightened is so good. It only gets better and more heartwrenching.

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
« Reply #6821 on: February 26, 2013, 03:30:21 PM »
Watching Arrow. It's alright, but I spend most of the time thinking about how much more psyched I would be about a Punisher TV-series. Oh, and I'm having a hard time finding a clear distinction between this guy and Batman.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #6822 on: February 26, 2013, 03:45:11 PM »
there is no distinction

Tonya

Polari

« Reply #6823 on: February 26, 2013, 05:36:24 PM »
some show just popped up on Hulu called The Tribe from NZ.  described as Mad Max meets Degrassi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tribe_%28TV_series%29

any NZers have an opinion on it?

Hahaha! A couple of our good friends were in it. Shit show, appalling art direction and some pretty terrible acting all round. You might enjoy it in a so bad it's good kind of way though I guess.

Polari

« Reply #6824 on: February 26, 2013, 05:36:58 PM »
The Black Mirror final was a let down. Probably the weakest of the series to date.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #6825 on: February 27, 2013, 01:32:10 AM »
Justified.  Dat bodycount.

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #6826 on: February 27, 2013, 01:41:16 AM »
 :bow Justified :bow2

though, one might expect a successful hitman to be a bit smarter. "Hey, look at me--I'm wearing a uniform so clearly I'm a cop. Now move, Deputy U.S. Marshal Raylan Givens, or I'll shoot you--

:dead2

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #6827 on: February 27, 2013, 01:54:10 AM »
I didn't have a problem with it.  Figure he saw his story was about to fall apart if he kept answering questions, so his best option was to end the conversation through bluster or murder.

OTOH I still can't rationalize Eva turning into a hardened criminal in the second season.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #6828 on: February 27, 2013, 03:44:35 AM »
Every single year Justified does a slow crawl for half the season and then boom, everything explodes.

I'm not tired of that at all, and this show still makes me want to speak with a twang a day after watching it.

etiolate

« Reply #6829 on: February 27, 2013, 04:11:46 AM »

Arlo yelling Get Some while he was shivving a guy with a electric razor was awesome.  I do wonder why the ex-cop did it.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #6830 on: February 27, 2013, 06:54:53 AM »

Arlo yelling Get Some while he was shivving a guy with a electric razor was awesome.  I do wonder why the ex-cop did it.

Probably figured it's in his best interest as it shows that he's not cooperating with the police and so Theo Tonin won't have a reason to kill/torture him.

Also the AV cub mentioned an interesting theory on who Drew Thompson could be:

Shelby Parlowe, which makes sense as he says that his wife left him about 25 years ago which is around when Drew Thompson disappeared. He tells Ellen May that "if you pretend to be something long enough, then it's not pretending". Also he was really interested in meeting Thompson's wife, the psychic, and he has a full beard which probably makes him impossible to recognize from a picture.

The question is what is the link between Shelbey and Arlow?
[close]

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #6831 on: February 27, 2013, 08:59:19 AM »
I didn't have a problem with it.  Figure he saw his story was about to fall apart if he kept answering questions, so his best option was to end the conversation through bluster or murder.

OTOH I still can't rationalize Eva turning into a hardened criminal in the second season.
If he realized his story was coming apart, there would be even less point to his warning.

Chicks love bad boys, to paraphrase yesterday's episode. (No it doesn't make sense.)

Also the AV cub mentioned an interesting theory on who Drew Thompson could be:

Shelby Parlowe, which makes sense as he says that his wife left him about 25 years ago which is around when Drew Thompson disappeared. He tells Ellen May that "if you pretend to be something long enough, then it's not pretending". Also he was really interested in meeting Thompson's wife, the psychic, and he has a full beard which probably makes him impossible to recognize from a picture.

The question is what is the link between Shelbey and Arlow?
[close]

I thought about that yesterday; the episode did a lot of "planting."
-Shelby's the right age.
-Shelby is very interested in the Drew Thompson case.
-Shelby tells Ella May that she resembles his ex-wife. Ella May, coincidentally, resembles Drew Thompson's widow.
-Ella May fits into the clothes of Shelby's ex and seems like she could swap clothes with Drew Thompson's ex, too.
-Shelby's has a medallion from his ex of St. Christopher, the patron Saint of travelers. Is this to help him in his journey to becoming Shelby? A medallion of a patron saint is something someone who is superstitious might have--someone who might be a psychic. As a note, Christopher carried a child as heavy as lead across a dangerous river. After the crossing, the child revealed himself to be Christ and told Christopher that he had the weight of the world on his shoulders. Who else might have a heavy burden on his shoulders?
-Shelby, possibly from personal experience, tells Ella May that a person pretending to be someone long enough isn't pretending anymore.
-Shelby tells Ella May that during his first year as a police officer his uniform felt like a costume (this could have been a "plant" for the hitman, who used a uniform as a disguise). That police uniform might seem like a costume to a former criminal, like Drew Thompson.
-Frank Browning, who was on the psychic's list, resembles a fully bald Shelby Parlow.
-Shelby expresses interest in the widow, and rhetorically asks why "the pretty ones [like the widow] always go for the bad boys?" Is he asking why she was attracted to Drew Thompson but not Shelby Parlow?
-to really stretch it, in episode 6 Raylon Givens tells the blonde girl that "repeating a lie doesn't make it true." The next shot is of Shelby, looking somewhat unhappy.
[close]
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 09:01:23 AM by Flannel Boy »

Polari

« Reply #6832 on: February 27, 2013, 11:28:47 AM »
Arlo's last words were pretty great. He died as he lived: trolling his son.

etiolate

« Reply #6833 on: February 27, 2013, 02:51:00 PM »
Yeah the
Shelby is Drew stuff makes sense. It could draw back to Raylan's relations to his hill folk. There are two women who could identify him.
[close]

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #6834 on: February 27, 2013, 04:00:00 PM »
I just watched the first episode of Black Mirror. I don't think I would recommend it to anyone.  :-\
WDW

Beezy

« Reply #6835 on: February 28, 2013, 07:26:36 PM »
I have 4 episodes left to watch in season 4 of Breaking Bad. Walt and Jessie are the best worst partners ever. :lol

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #6836 on: February 28, 2013, 09:09:34 PM »
there is no distinction

uh, he kills people
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #6837 on: February 28, 2013, 09:09:47 PM »
a LOT
vjj

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #6838 on: March 01, 2013, 12:13:01 AM »
Batman used to kill people a lot. Maybe this is the Bob Kane Batman?

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #6839 on: March 01, 2013, 12:16:54 AM »
Don't mention that fuckbag's name in my presence *spits*
vjj