Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2083585 times)

Tasty

Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #11640 on: July 20, 2015, 02:11:34 AM »
Halfway through Angel s5.

Joss: "Hey guys can you tell us if you're gonna renew cause lol that's important to know when writing a finale."

Fox: "Umm, err, uhh..."

Joss: "Srsly I need to kno guyz"

Fox: "Ummm...."

Joss: "OK if you don't say anything I'm assuming it's canceled.."

Fox: "...We can't say it'll be renewed or not."

Joss: "Fine, fuk u bitches, Imma write the best season of Angel ever and you'll wish you had renewed us, fucksluts."

Angel fans: ":brazilcry"

Fox after seeing the viewer numbers pour in: ":brazilcry"

Joss: "See u fucktards later Imma go make Avengers 1 and 2 :smug"

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11641 on: July 20, 2015, 02:30:24 AM »
Biggest recent fuck up for them for me recently was/is Sleepy Hollow. Fantastic first season. Absolutely solid, great chemistry.

What does FOX do? All that shit that was working? How about we just fuck it all up. Sideline a character that was working well with our two primaries, introduce a new potential love interest thats basically cardboard with a beard, introduce a character to replace the one we sidelined but only have them show up for 5 minutes the entire season, bump a recurring to main but then do nothing with said character and make them worse.

Spend 75% of the season doing nothing then when everyone including critics are saying wow this sucks kill and re-arrange everyone so things kinda sorta resemble what was going on in s1 but worse by the end of the finale.

I *wish* they had just cancelled it. Don't even care that it's getting a third season now.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #11642 on: July 20, 2015, 02:37:37 AM »
That's the one thing that irks me often is not giving a show a chance to wrap things up, especially if it has like four season or more so there's a sunk cost into the sets and crap.

Then again, Burn Notice and White Collar both wasted theirs terribly so I can see why USA became reluctant to give Covert Affairs one even if I imagine it probably would have been amazing.

Even this recent season with something like Constantine where they kept it in limbo for months. Give em six episodes or something to create what can work as a finale if you're truly on the fence. Same thing with Hannibal, ya know, give em a few episodes to tie things off.

They're afraid to let shows start extended mythologies early so they don't keep viewers and then once they start doing so it's too late and they kill it leaving things unresolved.

Wayward Pines avoided this, though I don't see why the show needs a second season, but whatever. Fox wanted one bad from what I read. Even though it would have sucked all the finality out of the story.

I wouldn't mind more definitely one or two season runs where the writers know that's all they're getting and that's all they want. And the network is on board.

Fox's greatest cancellation is probably Lone Star though. :lol

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11643 on: July 20, 2015, 02:39:41 AM »
That's the one thing that irks me often is not giving a show a chance to wrap things up, especially if it has like four season or more so there's a sunk cost into the sets and crap.

Then again, Burn Notice and White Collar both wasted theirs terribly so I can see why USA became reluctant to give Covert Affairs one even if I imagine it probably would have been amazing.

Even this recent season with something like Constantine where they kept it in limbo for months. Give em six episodes or something to create what can work as a finale if you're truly on the fence. Same thing with Hannibal, ya know, give em a few episodes to tie things off.

They're afraid to let shows start extended mythologies early so they don't keep viewers and then once they start doing so it's too late and they kill it leaving things unresolved.

Wayward Pines avoided this, though I don't see why the show needs a second season, but whatever. Fox wanted one bad from what I read. Even though it would have sucked all the finality out of the story.

We can only win with this british style "event" series a lot of networks are doing. Give em 6-8 episodes with an ending. If it's good go back to them "hey can you make more?"

benjipwns

« Reply #11644 on: July 20, 2015, 02:43:23 AM »
Ha, just edited in that same thought.

Yeah, that style works. And I think it's going to become a thing again. It used to be in the 1970s/1980s.

One thing I liked about Elementary is that it has so far wrapped things up at the end of each season while allowing an out for the next. Though the first season was by far the best.

Person of Interest is like its opposite, no, we need MORE AND MORE ABSURD PLOT THREADS TO POTENTIALLY LEAVE ON THE TABLE.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #11645 on: July 21, 2015, 05:20:42 PM »

After TD Season 2 I am so ready for this.

:rejoice :rejoice
zzzzz

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #11646 on: July 21, 2015, 07:47:23 PM »
Killjoys: Lead actress is stunning, but doesn't look like she has the physical build of someone who can do what her character does. I liked the first episode just fine, but I don't expect the location and FX budget to keep up with this episode. Some mildly interesting world building. Will probably continue to watch.

Defiance episode 7 was not disappointing. If the show had more consistent character writing, I think Datak's request to die on a Shaming Rack would have been tied in to his apparent religious conversion while imprisoned. Still, it makes sense even without exposition. Stahma, who I know we're all supposed to hate, gets some comeuppance this episode via the Drow daughter, but she's clearly more of a survivor than anyone else on the show, Nolan included, so I expect she'll be the last person alive when the show eventually has its final episode.

The Strain. Started watching because iTunes had the first episode of season 1 and season 2 available for free. I liked the pilot quite a bit! I am honestly torn if I should watch this or just listen to the audiobooks; it's about the same level of doomed, sensational, suspenseful entertainment either way. The idea of combining a contagious outbreak with traditional vampire lore is interesting, though I'm mostly not hopeful how they'll eventually choose to tie it all together:

WORMS ARE THE CARRIER OF THE HEMOPHAGE URGE, BUT WORMS NEED DIRT, SO THERE IS DIRT IN THE COFFIN.

DUE TO HEAVY RAINS, WORMS ARE FRIGHTENED OF WATER, WHICH IS WHY VAMPIRES CAN'T CROSS RUNNING WATER.

et al.

All the other sensory notes, like the buzzing in the ears and the smell of ammonia -- I enjoy that immersiveness.

The casting is uneven. The old pawn shop owner is awesome. The un-aging nazi is chilling. The two latino brothers are both good. But both the CDC leads in the show are oddly not compelling; the guy looks like he walked off Young and the Restless, and his partner has no chemistry with him. Maybe they just need to grow into their characters more.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11647 on: July 21, 2015, 08:58:03 PM »
The Strain is pretty dull. CDC cats never get anymore interesting I ended up ditching it halfway through season 1. I was excited for it before it aired though.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #11648 on: July 22, 2015, 09:40:13 PM »
The Strain is pretty dull. CDC cats never get anymore interesting I ended up ditching it halfway through season 1. I was excited for it before it aired though.
I feel like it's catching momentum as I just finished episode 7 -- the history stuff with the pawn shop owner and "the German" has become interesting, and there was a bunch of good writing, at least in terms of demonstrating the nature of personal responsibility, choice, and one's relationship to God (and how it doesn't matter). I also enjoy the undertones of turning our figurative thanocracy to a literal one.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #11649 on: July 23, 2015, 12:22:49 AM »
I'm skimming through Oz. I don't remember it being this crazy. It's basically like a soap opera. The last time I watched it I was in high school so maybe it made more sense.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #11650 on: July 24, 2015, 05:23:27 PM »
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, liked it and laughed so mission accomplished. Jane Krakowski is  :rejoice .
ὕβρις

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #11651 on: July 25, 2015, 03:43:39 AM »
Finished s1 and s2 ep 1 of The Strain, still liking it. I think it benefited a little from watching back-to-back episodes, where some of the plans the survivors had which were either dumb or just didn't work out didn't end up making me feel like "Well, this week was a waste."

The finale was pretty sharp, but a small bit of bad editing causes a scene to look like a completely inexplicable pause or delay when immediate action is clearly the only course, so I'm retconning it in my head to being played in slow-motion.

I enjoy the show more than Defiance at this point, because the characters make dumb decisions which are consistent with the personality they have displayed. Everybody has the possibility of making Really Bad Choices, but they make sense within the context of their personal problems.

Tasty

« Reply #11652 on: July 25, 2015, 04:55:38 AM »
Nice. That show seemed dumb and the ads were annoying as fuck.

Though that's par the course for AS I guess.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #11653 on: July 25, 2015, 12:33:49 PM »
China, IL got cancelled  :-\

Since it's on Hulu now I highly recommend it. It sucks that it's done when I just got into it a few months ago.

Longtime lover of Brad Neely's web stuff. Never did my part by watching the show  :'(
zzzzz

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #11654 on: July 25, 2015, 02:30:42 PM »
Wayward Pines has a crap endin, M Night is a hack

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #11655 on: July 25, 2015, 04:55:07 PM »
to be fair it had a crap beginning and middle too

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #11656 on: July 26, 2015, 10:27:58 AM »
Wayward Pines has a crap endin, M Night is a hack

This is news because...?  :-*

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #11657 on: July 27, 2015, 01:48:55 PM »
NCIS

Is that a 12 core? 16 core with a 10 meg pipe!

:heh
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 01:56:08 PM by D3RANG3D »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11658 on: July 28, 2015, 05:38:04 PM »
Lifetime's UnREAL lowkey the most savage tv show out right now.

studyguy

« Reply #11659 on: July 28, 2015, 06:29:33 PM »
My mom used to watch Lifetime shows with my sister.
Feel like every time I passed by the tv back in the day, the show would be about some chick getting cheated on or getting strangled by her man.
Like damn, all these chicks have terrible luck.
pause

Tasty

« Reply #11660 on: July 28, 2015, 06:32:48 PM »
Lifetime introduced me to Unsolved Mysteries so it gets an eternal free pass in my book.

Fuck whoever owns the current rights and is keeping the series off YouTube.

benjipwns

« Reply #11661 on: July 28, 2015, 08:08:34 PM »
Mr. Robot is pretty great, so is Complications.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Thank you for the lovely evening.
[close]

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #11662 on: July 31, 2015, 11:59:16 PM »
Wet Hot American Summer First Day of Camp is fucking hysterical. Marathoned it with a friend today and it was exhausting how much I was cracking up. Right now I'd say pretty comfortably it's funnier than the movie.
zzzzz

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #11663 on: August 01, 2015, 07:14:52 PM »
I always liked WHAS well enough but it was never one of my favorites.  First Day of Camp is magical.  I was grinning ear to ear whenever I wasn't barking laughter. 

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #11664 on: August 01, 2015, 07:37:37 PM »
Yep. It's one of the funniest works of comedy I've ever seen. Can't believe how hard Wain and Showalter nailed it.
zzzzz

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #11665 on: August 01, 2015, 07:58:09 PM »
In other news, Review is back and still just as good as it was last season. They're really putting the meta-premise of the show ruining Forrest's life front and center this time around, and it's working wonderfully.
zzzzz

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11666 on: August 02, 2015, 06:16:49 AM »
In other news, Review is back and still just as good as it was last season. They're really putting the meta-premise of the show ruining Forrest's life front and center this time around, and it's working wonderfully.

"The destruction of my life was anything but pointless"

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
« Reply #11667 on: August 02, 2015, 11:36:39 AM »
Oof, that first episode. They gave us like five minutes hope before fucking it all up.
brb

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
« Reply #11668 on: August 03, 2015, 03:32:26 PM »
Guys, Rick and Morty Season 2 is firing on all cylinders.
You should really check it out if you haven't already.
brb

studyguy

« Reply #11669 on: August 03, 2015, 03:33:11 PM »
Whenever it's on Hulu
That show is dope tho
pause

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #11670 on: August 03, 2015, 03:49:11 PM »
Is episode 3 out yet?

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
« Reply #11671 on: August 03, 2015, 03:52:25 PM »
Leaked, yes.
brb

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #11672 on: August 03, 2015, 04:09:56 PM »
I olny see 1 and 2 leaked/ 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #11673 on: August 03, 2015, 05:32:23 PM »
Episode 3 was great.  This show is amazing.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #11674 on: August 03, 2015, 07:14:11 PM »
Waiting for it to finish its run before I binge. Glad to hear it's as good as season 1.
zzzzz

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #11675 on: August 03, 2015, 07:22:59 PM »
ep 2 was significantly better than the season opener, it's def found its niche

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
« Reply #11676 on: August 04, 2015, 04:45:18 AM »
brb

Freyj

« Reply #11677 on: August 04, 2015, 11:14:35 PM »

After TD Season 2 I am so ready for this.

:rejoice :rejoice

Really late to this, but...

Ted Danson  :rejoice

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #11678 on: August 08, 2015, 01:01:38 PM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #11679 on: August 08, 2015, 01:23:03 PM »

I had no idea this was a scripted comedy and not a reality show from the one commercial I saw one time.

That makes me interested to watch it now.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #11680 on: August 08, 2015, 03:21:54 PM »
I don't get why everyone whoo-haws over Data being an android and artificial life in TNG.  Everyone acts like its so special when Data can create a new artificial life simply by asking the holodeck computer to make someone smarter than him.  Hell fucking Weasly made artificial nanites that can talk in a simple school project.  Be consistent people. 

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #11681 on: August 08, 2015, 05:12:42 PM »
It's not just his intelligence but his individuality that they respect.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #11682 on: August 08, 2015, 07:11:27 PM »
I'm about halfway through the second season of The Sopranos.  It's like Mad Men, except it's good.

I'm in Season 5 and I came across the first episode of the show that I'd consider bad/filler: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Test_Dream

Sure enough, co-written by Matthew Weiner :lol
🍆🍆

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #11683 on: August 08, 2015, 08:43:50 PM »
I don't get why everyone whoo-haws over Data being an android and artificial life in TNG.  Everyone acts like its so special when Data can create a new artificial life simply by asking the holodeck computer to make someone smarter than him.  Hell fucking Weasly made artificial nanites that can talk in a simple school project.  Be consistent people.
I ended up seeing TNG's ep where Data is on trial to prove he is not property (IIRC, "Measure of a Man"?), which I love, but I was also wondering this time, If you're arguing that he's property, what makes you think its OK to break him apart? He's not your property. Are you claiming imminent domain over someone else's stuff now, Federation?

And then on its heels I saw the two Moriarty episodes, so I was also caught short by the same thing you were: how can the Enterprise computer suddenly invent a sentient life form? And why not just do it again, and then run AI-piloted drone Fed ships out into the galactic core?

ZephyrFate

« Reply #11684 on: August 08, 2015, 09:00:57 PM »
Sense8 renewed. Awesome.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #11685 on: August 09, 2015, 04:35:44 PM »
The episode where Data makes himself a daughter :(

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #11686 on: August 09, 2015, 04:37:41 PM »
The episode where Data makes himself a daughter :(

And they tried to pull that it's a machine not a person shit again. :sabu
[close]

Stoney Mason

« Reply #11687 on: August 10, 2015, 02:53:07 PM »

Watched the first season and yeah this show is very funny.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #11688 on: August 11, 2015, 11:31:07 AM »
Finished up Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp

it's fun. not as funny as the movie. but there are a lot of serious genius gags. two of my favorite are: (PHONE) NUMBER and when Gene instantly transforms into movie Gene without any explanation

one thing I was thinking about. the style of comedy is very different in my opinion to that of the show. The show is very absurdist with bits of slapstick. Whereas the show seems to be the inverse. The show reminds me more of a Zucker style comedy script. That's not necessarily bad as I think early Zucker is really great, but it's not really the same as the Stella style.
nat

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #11689 on: August 11, 2015, 08:46:17 PM »

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #11690 on: August 11, 2015, 09:48:06 PM »

Watched the first season and yeah this show is very funny.

Glad you're liking it. No one else is watching it! It was pretty miraculous it got a second season. Poor Andy Daly can't find reliable work. :-\
zzzzz

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #11691 on: August 12, 2015, 02:16:20 PM »
Watching one of the TNG episodes where Geordie is a creep.  Love those episodes. 

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #11692 on: August 12, 2015, 04:54:58 PM »
Review episode 2 killed it :lol

ZephyrFate

« Reply #11693 on: August 14, 2015, 05:04:37 AM »
Rectify S3 finale is nothing but tears down my face. "Where is God?" "In-between the seconds, in the rain, in your tears... I see him there, lurking."

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #11694 on: August 14, 2015, 09:01:05 AM »
Started a Riget (The Kingdom, the original not the shit American one) rewatch. Still such a fantastic show.

benjipwns

« Reply #11695 on: August 14, 2015, 11:44:29 AM »
oh god mr robot

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #11696 on: August 14, 2015, 01:13:45 PM »
Rectify S3 finale is nothing but tears down my face. "Where is God?" "In-between the seconds, in the rain, in your tears... I see him there, lurking."

It's done? Awesome. Totally marathoning this soon.
zzzzz

benjipwns

« Reply #11697 on: August 15, 2015, 01:25:37 AM »
mr robot

:stahp

every time i think they're done for the episode, there's like three more shivs coming out of nowhere

i can't believe darlene being his sister and everything after that made me like holy fuck what is happening as much as it did, especially after the episode prior
[close]

the show makes me feel like elliott

and i still have no clue what is supposed to be going on with that danish lady and the swedish dude

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #11698 on: August 15, 2015, 03:31:30 PM »
I'm about halfway through the second season of The Sopranos.  It's like Mad Men, except it's good.

I'm in Season 5 and I came across the first episode of the show that I'd consider bad/filler: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Test_Dream

Sure enough, co-written by Matthew Weiner :lol

Finished this show this morning.  It's God tier, up with the best of them.
🍆🍆

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #11699 on: August 15, 2015, 08:30:39 PM »
How did I miss that the TNG ep with the no gender race that thinks gender is yucky is totally about homosexuality?  Must have seen it 3 times now and its completely obvious.