Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2084219 times)

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #5220 on: May 04, 2012, 09:42:38 AM »
Oh, maybe I'm not really the target audience then. As the thought of watching vapid bitches gimp around to a script more flaccid than Marilyn Monroes cock doesnt excite me that much tbh.
:{]

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #5221 on: May 04, 2012, 09:43:13 AM »
Also Two broken girls, and New Girl.

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #5222 on: May 04, 2012, 09:44:42 AM »
I'm finding it harder and harder to engage with the artifice spewed out by Hollywood, or Hollowood guys!!!!

Beezy

« Reply #5223 on: May 04, 2012, 01:16:19 PM »
Another great Parks & Rec last night. This show improved so much so quickly.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #5224 on: May 04, 2012, 04:45:16 PM »
GET ON YOUR FEET

etiolate

« Reply #5225 on: May 07, 2012, 12:51:51 AM »
"Dad don't forget monkey brains."
"yeah and we need more unicorn testicles"
"that's where dreams are made"

thank you bob's burgers

ZephyrFate

« Reply #5226 on: May 07, 2012, 01:57:38 AM »
Veep was hilarious tonight.

Beezy

« Reply #5227 on: May 07, 2012, 05:19:00 AM »
Veep was hilarious tonight.
It has been from the start.

First 2 eps of Girls were fucking terrible. Boredom is the only reason why I didn't quit watching. The last two were okay to good.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #5228 on: May 07, 2012, 05:29:10 AM »
I gave up after the second ep and find nothing appealing about Girls in any possible way.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #5229 on: May 07, 2012, 09:36:58 AM »
"Dad don't forget monkey brains."
"yeah and we need more unicorn testicles"
"that's where dreams are made"

thank you bob's burgers
I wanted to post that on Facebook.  Bob's Burgers is the best cartoon on regular network tv in forevs.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #5230 on: May 07, 2012, 11:24:57 AM »
I've never seen always funny  :-\  I need to fix that one day

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #5231 on: May 09, 2012, 10:26:54 PM »
i'm so surprised at how good Don't Trust the Bitch is. or atleast how funny it is
USA

ZephyrFate

« Reply #5232 on: May 10, 2012, 12:37:21 AM »
i'm so surprised at how good Don't Trust the Bitch is. or atleast how funny it is

I'm just more WTF at all the twists this episode. wtf. wtf. wtf.

also Revenge was fantastic tonight. Fantastic.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #5233 on: May 11, 2012, 10:42:59 AM »
Nice Season Finale for Parks and Rec. Great journey for a show and for that character Amy Poheler plays. Easily the best network sitcom since Season 2 on.

You should always watch the director cut's of the episodes.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/360284/parks-and-recreation-win-lose-or-draw-directors-cut#s-p1-so-i0
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 10:45:25 AM by Stoney Mason »

ZephyrFate

« Reply #5234 on: May 11, 2012, 03:49:19 PM »
Happy Endings back for a season 3 YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #5235 on: May 11, 2012, 06:04:57 PM »
What's Spartcaus obsessions with Tuareg fucking music in slow mo. It's not good.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #5236 on: May 11, 2012, 06:10:56 PM »
Its actually amazing

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #5237 on: May 11, 2012, 06:17:22 PM »
I agree. But it's also amazingly racist, holy tracts of Islam associated with acts of violence.

Seriously America?

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #5238 on: May 11, 2012, 11:17:26 PM »
Just started watching lost. How bad of a decision is this?
dur

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #5239 on: May 12, 2012, 12:36:10 AM »
I agree. But it's also amazingly racist, holy tracts of Islam associated with acts of violence.

Seriously America?

Really? I don't think I heard anything Arabicish on that entire show. The Syrian characters were probably speaking Aramaic.

Spartacus is just a pure sexy violence incarnation with a thrilling and amazingly well written story behind it. It's filled with low and high hanging fruit but it's never ashamed of being a guilty pleasure no matter how good it gets. So I can kind of forgive if they get a bit into some ethnic generalizations or whatever. But I don't think they did.

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #5240 on: May 12, 2012, 03:21:05 AM »
Yeah, sorry about that. Pure horseshit post, I'm a huge fan of
Spartacus, I introduced my lovers folks to it (late 60s) and to my surprise they loved it.

Anyway. Tv shows!

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #5241 on: May 12, 2012, 04:11:03 AM »
Even my parents love Spartacus. That's some crazy shit

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #5242 on: May 12, 2012, 04:14:52 AM »
It transcends age.

It also had a godawful opening couple of episodes, maybe it was the writers finding their feet.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #5243 on: May 12, 2012, 05:17:49 AM »
The pilot is pretty bad, although I liked it more on my second viewing a year later. Things get better once Batiatus shows up in the second episode, then the season progressively gets better. Whereas the prequels came out the gate swinging with good eps

I had my doubts about the second season due to the loss of Andy and you-know-who, but it was pretty damn good. The lack of a ludus setting didn't hurt it as much as I thought it would.

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #5244 on: May 12, 2012, 08:48:06 AM »
Hindu The Beast God, this isn't an ego-fluffing post, but I always enjoy your words and opinions.

Anyway, I think it's fantastic that Kill List is garnering such a huge following. Wheatley massively deserves all of the magical glory for a really satisfying horror flick. Sightseers is pretty much a must see.

It's also reassuring to see that the UK still has the edge on the USs' skill-set of horror. As a general rule Euro horror is much more satisfying, on a consistent level, than maybe say Asian or American horror?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 04:14:41 PM by Martin Raperman »

« Reply #5245 on: May 13, 2012, 02:37:09 PM »
Started watching The Wire. It has to have the most generic intro/title sequence in the history of television. And it's long as fuck.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #5246 on: May 13, 2012, 02:43:49 PM »
Best opening ever with the best opening song ever done in different renditions. I went through a Tom Waits phase because of that intro.

Enl

« Reply #5247 on: May 13, 2012, 05:21:24 PM »
First episode for the new Tron: Uprising series is up for free. Seems decent so far.

mmm

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #5248 on: May 13, 2012, 10:53:03 PM »
Started watching The Wire. It has to have the most generic intro/title sequence in the history of television. And it's long as fuck.

the fuck?

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #5249 on: May 13, 2012, 11:12:28 PM »
Oh my God, what the fuck FoC. That's the best intro scheme and music of all time that even has debates as to which intro is the best for each season.

On another note, really really dig HBO's GIRLS. Feels fresh.
:9

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #5250 on: May 13, 2012, 11:20:22 PM »

I like how the credits tell a narrative, which mirrors the show. From the creation and distribution of narcotics to police intervention, then surveillance detective work

« Reply #5251 on: May 14, 2012, 08:39:51 AM »
It looks like a bunch of stock footage. Doesnt tell shit.

I could get on iStock and make an identical opening sequence.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #5252 on: May 14, 2012, 09:06:48 AM »
It looks like a bunch of stock footage. Doesnt tell shit.

I could get on iStock and make an identical opening sequence.

How does it look like stock footage, when most of it is taken from the show itself?

You're distinguished mentally-challenged.
MMA

EmCeeGrammar

• Casted Flamebait lvl. 3
« Reply #5253 on: May 16, 2012, 12:48:20 AM »
I kinda dig Regular Show right now.  Its got like a blue jay and a squirrel thing and there boss is a gumball machine and supernatural stuff happens. Its basically a buddy stoner comedy disguised as a kids show.  Nothing resembling insane quality writing but just, eh, fun.
sad

Tasty

« Reply #5254 on: May 16, 2012, 01:09:15 AM »
Late Late Show Scotland is incredible so far.

<3 Craigy Ferg

Himu

« Reply #5255 on: May 16, 2012, 01:15:55 AM »
I kinda dig Regular Show right now.  Its got like a blue jay and a squirrel thing and there boss is a gumball machine and supernatural stuff happens. Its basically a buddy stoner comedy disguised as a kids show.  Nothing resembling insane quality writing but just, eh, fun.

yes, best kept secret
IYKYK

Beezy

« Reply #5256 on: May 16, 2012, 01:25:31 AM »
Watching Adventure Time and Regular Show should be mandatory for all children.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #5257 on: May 16, 2012, 01:27:49 AM »
so Adventure Time is legit good, not overhyped internet nerd stuff? I'll check it out

Tasty

« Reply #5258 on: May 16, 2012, 01:31:24 AM »
Adventure Time and Regular Show are good, but Mystery Inc is the best show CN has right now.

Beezy

« Reply #5259 on: May 16, 2012, 01:32:31 AM »
You've watched MLP, but you've never watched Adventure Time? Smh.

Beezy

« Reply #5260 on: May 16, 2012, 01:38:43 AM »

I love the randomness. You never know what's gonna happen in this show. :lol

Beezy

« Reply #5261 on: May 16, 2012, 02:04:58 AM »
Flapjack and Chowder. Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends also. :(

etiolate

« Reply #5262 on: May 16, 2012, 04:44:34 AM »
loved flapjack

did they ever find candy island?

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #5263 on: May 21, 2012, 09:36:43 AM »
Watching Justifired season 3, and a couple of things that really struck: It seems to have seriously upped its game all-over; I'm sure it was never this funny, watched ep 4 last night and holy shit. Limehouse is amazing, and ODB was a perfect choice. Elmore Taylor is a great scribe. Duffys eyebrows are excellent.
And as long as it doesn't start doing monster of the week this could be an amazing season.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5264 on: May 21, 2012, 10:50:33 AM »
The season is amazing, you are in for a hell of a ride

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #5265 on: May 21, 2012, 12:02:30 PM »
That's excellent news.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #5266 on: May 22, 2012, 04:55:58 PM »
The finale episode of community was amazing.

Looks as though it's the Dan Harmon Finale as well:

http://danharmon.tumblr.com/
Kids:
A few hours ago, I landed in Los Angeles, turned on my phone, and confirmed what you already know.  Sony Pictures Television is replacing me as showrunner on Community, with two seasoned fellows that I’m sure are quite nice - actually, I have it on good authority they’re quite nice, because they once created a show and cast my good friend Jeff Davis on it, so how bad can they be.
Why’d Sony want me gone?  I can’t answer that because I’ve been in as much contact with them as you have.  They literally haven’t called me since the season four pickup, so their reasons for replacing me are clearly none of my business.  Community is their property, I only own ten percent of it, and I kind of don’t want to hear what their complaints are because I’m sure it would hurt my feelings even more now that I’d be listening for free.
I do want to correct a couple points of spin, now that I’m free to do so:
The important one is this quote from Bob Greenblatt in which he says he’s sure I’m going to be involved somehow, something like that.  That’s a misquote.  I think he meant to say he’s sure cookies are yummy, because he’s never called me once in the entire duration of his employment at NBC.  He didn’t call me to say he was starting to work there, he didn’t call me to say I was no longer working there and he definitely didn’t call to ask if I was going to be involved.  I’m not saying it’s wrong for him to have bigger fish to fry, I’m just saying, NBC is not a credible source of All News Dan Harmon.
You may have read that I am technically “signed on,” by default, to be an executive consulting something or other - which is a relatively standard protective clause for a creator in my position.  Guys like me can’t actually just be shot and left in a ditch by Skynet, we’re still allowed to have a title on the things we create and “help out,” like, I guess sharpening pencils and stuff. 
However, if I actually chose to go to the office, I wouldn’t have any power there.  Nobody would have to do anything I said, ever.  I would be “offering” thoughts on other people’s scripts, not allowed to rewrite them, not allowed to ask anyone else to rewrite them, not allowed to say whether a single joke was funny or go near the edit bay, etc.  It’s….not really the way the previous episodes got done.  I was what you might call a….hands on producer.  Are my….periods giving this enough….pointedness?  I’m not saying you can’t make a good version of Community without me, but I am definitely saying that you can’t make my version of it unless I have the option of saying “it has to be like this or I quit” roughly 8 times a day.
The same contract also gives me the same salary and title if I spend all day masturbating and playing Prototype 2.  And before you ask yourself what you would do in my situation: buy Prototype 2.  It’s fucking great.
Because Prototype 2 is great, and because nobody called me, and then started hiring people to run the show, I had my assistant start packing up my office days ago.  I’m sorry.  I’m not saying seasons 1, 2 and 3 were my definition of perfect television, I’m just saying that whatever they’re going to do for season 4, they’re aiming to do without my help.  So do not believe anyone that tells you on Monday that I quit or diminished my role so I could spend more time with my loved ones, or that I negotiated and we couldn’t come to an agreement, etc.  It couldn’t be less true because, just to make this clear, literally nobody called me.  Also don’t believe anyone that says I have sex with animals.  And if there’s a photo of me doing it with an animal - I’m not saying one exists, I’m just saying, if one surfaces - it’s a fake.  Look at the shadow.  Why would it be in front of the giraffe if the sun is behind the jeep?
Where was I?  Oh yeah.  I’m not running Community for season 4.  They replaced me.  Them’s the facts.
When I was a kid, sometimes I’d run home to Mommy with a bloody nose and say, “Mom, my friends beat me up,” and my Mom would say “well then they’re not worth having as friends, are they?”  At the time, I figured she was just trying to put a postive spin on having birthed an unpopular pussy.  But this is, after all, the same lady that bought me my first typewriter.  Then later, a Commodore 64.  And later, a 300 baud modem for it.  Through which I met new friends that did like me much, much more.
I’m 39, now.  The friends my Mom warned me about are bigger now, and older, bloodying my nose with old world numbers, and old world tactics, like, oh, I don’t know, sending out press releases to TV Guide at 7pm on a Friday.
But my Commodore 64 is mobile now, like yours, and the modems are invisible, and the internet is the air all around us.  And the good friends, the real friends, are finding each other, and connecting with each other, and my Mom is turning out to be more right than ever.
Ah, shit, I still haven’t called my fucking Mom. 
Mom, Happy Mother’s Day.  I got fired. 
Yes, Mom.  AGAIN.

« Reply #5267 on: May 22, 2012, 05:05:48 PM »
Adventure Time and Regular Show are good, but Mystery Inc is the best show CN has right now.

I randomly stumbled on Regular Show last night. The omelette training montage set to "Holding Out For A Hero" was funny.
野球

cool breeze

« Reply #5268 on: May 23, 2012, 09:48:03 AM »
finished Battlestar Galactica

Overall, it's OK.  First two seasons are interesting and there's good music.  Third season is shaky.  Fourth season is sucky.  Ending is:

spoiler (click to show/hide)
wait, what.  ~40 thousand people are dumb enough to settle on a planet and destroy all ships/advanced technology? because that worked so well on New Caprica

Bill Adama sits on a rock and starves to death? You'd assume he just joins everyone else, but Apollo says "oh I'll never see him again." Why? wtf

Starbuck 2 is never explained or touched on.  There's a lot of time dedicated to "WHO IS SHE?" but at the end she vanishes.  It's not like with the visions of angel-Gaius and angel-Six where only two people can see them.  Starbuck 2 is seen and interacts with the world as normal Starbuck did.  Then she vanishes at the end.  And what about her clean ship? nothing?

Season 4's rotating presidency is dumb.  So much importance was placed on the politics of the fleet for most of the series.  And then at the end Apollo bequeaths the presidency to the Lawyer.  This is after he was, then wasn't, then was, then was vice president, then was a lawyer, and all in the span of a month.
[close]

Most of the characters are unlikeable or full on awful.  In more than a few cases its because the characters have no character.  Any personality or internal logic seems rewritten every couple episodes.  At a point it's just nice to see consistent characters, even if they're unlikeable.

So, for characters:

Best: Helo, Athena, Doc Cottle, Lt Hoshi
Good:  Gaius, Bill Adama, various cylons (not the 5), the leader of Pegasus, the lawyer guy.
Bad: everyone else
FUCKING AWFUL: Galen Tyrol, Cally, Gaeta.
[close]

random thoughts

Fat Apollo :rofl

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
[close]

and regarding Mass Effect 3 (spoilers for both)
the story and ending in ME3 rubs up against BSG.  Focus on the days following the singularity, repeating cycle controlled by a godly force, haphazardly warping to an Earthly planet that, and other parts.  Some are just blanket sci-fi tropes and others retroactively making me dislike the ME3 ending more.
[close]

and now I know the context behind that gif of Edward James Olmos vomiting on himself

ZephyrFate

« Reply #5269 on: May 23, 2012, 11:04:55 PM »
Revenge season finale tonight was holy mother FUCK this is the best drama on TV. It's HBO-level and not even on HBO.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #5270 on: May 23, 2012, 11:19:13 PM »
finished Battlestar Galactica

Overall, it's OK.  First two seasons are interesting and there's good music.  Third season is shaky.  Fourth season is sucky.  Ending is:

wait, what.  ~40 thousand people are dumb enough to settle on a planet and destroy all ships/advanced technology? because that worked so well on New Caprica

Bill Adama sits on a rock and starves to death? You'd assume he just joins everyone else, but Apollo says "oh I'll never see him again." Why? wtf

Starbuck 2 is never explained or touched on.  There's a lot of time dedicated to "WHO IS SHE?" but at the end she vanishes.  It's not like with the visions of angel-Gaius and angel-Six where only two people can see them.  Starbuck 2 is seen and interacts with the world as normal Starbuck did.  Then she vanishes at the end.  And what about her clean ship? nothing?

Season 4's rotating presidency is dumb.  So much importance was placed on the politics of the fleet for most of the series.  And then at the end Apollo bequeaths the presidency to the Lawyer.  This is after he was, then wasn't, then was, then was vice president, then was a lawyer, and all in the span of a month.
[close]

Most of the characters are unlikeable or full on awful.  In more than a few cases its because the characters have no character.  Any personality or internal logic seems rewritten every couple episodes.  At a point it's just nice to see consistent characters, even if they're unlikeable.

So, for characters:

Best: Helo, Athena, Doc Cottle, Lt Hoshi
Good:  Gaius, Bill Adama, various cylons (not the 5), the leader of Pegasus, the lawyer guy.
Bad: everyone else
FUCKING AWFUL: Galen Tyrol, Cally, Gaeta.
[close]

random thoughts

Fat Apollo :rofl

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
[close]

and regarding Mass Effect 3 (spoilers for both)
the story and ending in ME3 rubs up against BSG.  Focus on the days following the singularity, repeating cycle controlled by a godly force, haphazardly warping to an Earthly planet that, and other parts.  Some are just blanket sci-fi tropes and others retroactively making me dislike the ME3 ending more.
[close]

and now I know the context behind that gif of Edward James Olmos vomiting on himself

It always pains me to talk about BSG. Because its something I really like overall but it disappoints me because it could have been so much more. The first 13 episodes are for me up there with the best television I've ever seen no matter what genre. After that, the long seasons and the make it up as you go along nature of it really sours the experience unfortunately. I love the creative risks they took. I wish they just would have plotted certain characters  (and plot points) to have them be consistent and make sense. Gaius is symbolic for a lot of the struggles of the show. For the early part of the show he was one of the best characters I've ever come across on TV. By the end, I detested him because they treated him like a puppet and just made him do whatever they needed to at the moment, to create plots even if it was dumb or made no sense. That's what the back half of the show's run often felt like. I agree with most of your comments on the show.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 11:20:46 PM by Stoney Mason »

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #5271 on: May 24, 2012, 03:22:48 AM »

which really makes it all worth it, don't you think
AMC

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #5272 on: May 24, 2012, 06:53:53 PM »
Been watching Justified. Olyphant is the fucking man, sort of makes up for not being able to see him as Bullock (but not really). Also Rachel is so.fucking.cute.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 06:55:48 PM by BlueTsunami »

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #5273 on: May 25, 2012, 04:31:34 PM »
The Wire is amazing, hating the intro is absurd. (Overall, picking one of the five to hate is just fine.)

Justified is also amazing.

And Don't Trust the Bitch is perhaps a surprise favorite. Especially as it has gone on.

Off that and on ABC, I'll say it, feel free to bring it, I like The Middle.

It's not Cougar Town but what is.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #5274 on: May 27, 2012, 08:43:10 PM »
I've been catassing through Justified Season 3 this weekend.  It's the best season by far.
🍆🍆

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5275 on: May 28, 2012, 05:18:27 PM »
So most of the shows this season is now done, what are you guys looking out for? I watched Continuum and was genuinely horrified at how poor it was. Looking out for that Green Arrow show later this year, but have no hope of it actually being good.

And new things I need to keep an eye on?

p.s. Revenge was indeed fucking awesome 

ZephyrFate

« Reply #5276 on: May 28, 2012, 07:50:15 PM »
So most of the shows this season is now done, what are you guys looking out for? I watched Continuum and was genuinely horrified at how poor it was. Looking out for that Green Arrow show later this year, but have no hope of it actually being good.

And new things I need to keep an eye on?

p.s. Revenge was indeed fucking awesome
yesssssssssssssssss I can't wait for season 2

Fifstar

« Reply #5277 on: May 29, 2012, 05:29:46 AM »
Recently started to watch the Sopranos. I'm now up to the last episode of the second season. I thought the first season was good but I really started to love the show during the seond season. Shit goes down. My favoutite charater has to be Tony's mom, the scene where she comes down on that stair lift I lost it.
Gulp

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #5278 on: May 29, 2012, 05:50:28 PM »
GIRLS :bow2

Fifstar

« Reply #5279 on: May 29, 2012, 06:27:40 PM »
Puss  :( :( :(
Gulp