Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2084306 times)

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #6660 on: February 07, 2013, 08:20:35 AM »
finished house of cards. pretty fun show. a bit lacking in sympathetic characters, but whatever, callous people are people too! Cliffhanger though. booo...

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6661 on: February 07, 2013, 09:21:56 AM »
What happened?
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Jim was mean to Pam for like a second and now they are doing a storyline where they act like Pam is going to cheat on Jim even though she clearly won't.
[close]
He wasn't even in the wrong.  I'd be incredibly pissed too.  She acts like he was out playing pool with his buddies or something.
[close]

I hadn't tuned in for like 2 seasons until 2 weeks ago.  I caught said incident and then I also watched last week.  Both episodes pretty much reminded me why I stopped watching.  Awful television.

And Cajole is right.  Season 2 handled it perfectly.  Beginning of season 3 was the start of the downfall.  Season 3 really should have been the end as it would have been perfect.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #6662 on: February 07, 2013, 09:48:19 AM »
What exactly did he do? I stopped watching shortly after Quincy Jones' daughter was playing CoD with Jim

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6663 on: February 07, 2013, 10:06:40 AM »
What exactly did he do? I stopped watching shortly after Quincy Jones' daughter was playing CoD with Jim
He had to work and their daughter had a play/show or something (i forget) and he asked Pam to record it.  He told her to be sure she knew how to work the the camera.  She said she did.  So he had a terrible day and he called her after the show and she's all giggling and laughing while she tells him that she messed it up and didn't record it.  So he gets mad and says that he specifically asked her if she knew how to work the camera and that it was a moment that he could never get back.  She acts like it's the worst thing anyone has ever said to her and she starts to cry and the douchebag working the microphone comes out from behind the camera and comforts Pam.

And then in the next episode Pam is about to get her ass kicked by some guy from the warehouse and the microphone guy steps in and then gets fired for it and they do some awkward moment where he says if she ever needs anything he'll be there or some shit. 

Horrible fucking writing.
[close]

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6664 on: February 07, 2013, 10:12:59 AM »
Wait, the (fictional) guy filming Dunder Miflin? :rofl

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6665 on: February 07, 2013, 10:28:09 AM »
well the boom guy technically.  But yeah, part of the crew.
[close]
  So fucking stupid.  Might wanna spoiler that.  I could see someone who still cares about this show getting pissed.  Or not  Who cares? :lol  This show sucks

cool breeze

« Reply #6666 on: February 07, 2013, 11:56:44 AM »
He had to work and their daughter had a play/show or something (i forget) and he asked Pam to record it.  He told her to be sure she knew how to work the the camera.  She said she did.  So he had a terrible day and he called her after the show and she's all giggling and laughing while she tells him that she messed it up and didn't record it.  So he gets mad and says that he specifically asked her if she knew how to work the camera and that it was a moment that he could never get back.  She acts like it's the worst thing anyone has ever said to her and she starts to cry and the douchebag working the microphone comes out from behind the camera and comforts Pam.

And then in the next episode Pam is about to get her ass kicked by some guy from the warehouse and the microphone guy steps in and then gets fired for it and they do some awkward moment where he says if she ever needs anything he'll be there or some shit. 

Horrible fucking writing.
[close]

what

did they ever acknowledge that there were people filming before? I mean besides the joke premise
[close]

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6667 on: February 07, 2013, 11:58:57 AM »
Not officially but they would motion to the camera over the series or stare right into it.  They never really tried to hide it but also never provided any explanation.

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
« Reply #6668 on: February 07, 2013, 12:16:57 PM »
Michael asked for the tapes if they were ever done with the doc, iirc.
brb

cool breeze

« Reply #6669 on: February 07, 2013, 12:46:40 PM »
So, if it's all real on The Office and

Jim is angry that Pam didn't record their daughter's school thing...are they just going to ignore the professional film crew who was there filming it?
[close]

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6670 on: February 07, 2013, 01:22:40 PM »
Michael asked for the tapes if they were ever done with the doc, iirc.
I must have missed that, especially if it was in the later seasons.  I think the last season I watched through and through was 5.  I saw part of 6 I think.

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #6671 on: February 07, 2013, 01:31:08 PM »
they also set it up at the beginning of this season by having the film crew say to Pam that they have all the footage they need about the office and the only reason they're still here is to see what happens with the Jim/Pam relationship.
[close]

So, if it's all real on The Office and

Jim is angry that Pam didn't record their daughter's school thing...are they just going to ignore the professional film crew who was there filming it?
[close]

This is pretty funny.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #6672 on: February 07, 2013, 02:32:53 PM »
It's not something that makes me INTERNET ANGRY or anything but at this point the single camera / talking head interview is just a show format. I'm fine with the conceit that it's a "documentary" with an occasional head nod towards this but it's way, way too far gone to be using it as a plot device.
___

« Reply #6673 on: February 07, 2013, 02:46:59 PM »
My wife is in Atlana for the week, so I'm catching up on season three of The Walking Dead. Ever since she got pregnant, she can't handle violence, which drives her nuts, cause she loves The Walking Dead.

Just finished 3x4... ie
Well damn, they really decided to kill Laurie. And Carl made sure she wouldn't come back.
[close]
野球

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #6674 on: February 07, 2013, 06:22:57 PM »
The office doesn't make me mad or anything. It's just disappointing in the later years when it goes down some truly horrible plot lines. That's why the
pam cheating thing
[close]
is dumb. Not because I actually have a problem with them doing such a thing but that this show doesn't have the balls to actually do it. You shouldn't introduce plot lines that you don't have the balls to actually execute because then its like a stupid phony tease.

On a network show there is going to be a lot of aimless dicking around with the plot just to cover the episode amounts they need to fill but the last few years even the plots they have been serious about and executed on have just been stupid. And worse uninteresting.

It also doesn't help that once Michael left, the strongest comedic presence left.

etiolate

« Reply #6675 on: February 07, 2013, 06:52:19 PM »
I'm eight episodes into House of Cards and I'd agree with the good but not great sentiment. The eighth episode was better. It also featured less political stuff from Francis and more character work. Right now the show is sort of like Supernatural for me in that I watch it because people seem to think its great and it sometimes amuses me, but partway through each episode I click the "back to browse" button because there's very little pull to the drama.

The Americans had another good episode. Certain things really challenge my ability to buy into their plausibility, but that depends on how they later play out. The dynamic between the husband and wife, and the husband and FBI neighbor is pretty strong in just the first two episodes.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6676 on: February 07, 2013, 06:54:49 PM »
They started that shit in season 3 with jim in a different office. It was way too short. Same with Michaels own company that lasted what? Two episodes?  The show is a constant cock tease that can't be taken seriously because it stays in its comfortable formulaic rut.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6677 on: February 07, 2013, 07:05:27 PM »
:bow COMMUNITY RETURNS TONIGHT :bow2

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #6678 on: February 08, 2013, 03:09:29 AM »
Wow The Office was nearly mediocre tonight but not quite l. Is it just me or was Andy never a dick until this season?

I guess there has to be a new "new boss"? Lemme guess, they'll bring back Michael to remind us when we didn't want this show to end.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #6679 on: February 08, 2013, 03:32:03 AM »
Both the middle and the neighbors on ABC are pretty damn entertaining.
The Middle is one of the most consistent sitcoms out there. It never reaches incredible heights or anything but it does everything quite well and rarely does things poorly. I've been watching it from the start and it's maybe the hardest show to sell to anyone because in a world of Community and everything else it sounds so incredibly bland and cliche. And it probably is but just does everything well with good actors and always seems to catch itself before getting too corny or sappy. Plus Norm McDonald is on sometimes!

It's really kinda jarring next to the ever increasingly bipolar and unfunny Modern Family.
Is it just me or was Andy never a dick until this season?
Andrew Benard from Cornell has been a dick from the start, he fell completely apart when they made him the boss because they had no clue what a boss should do if he wasn't Michael or ever knew what the character should be used for. Him missing for so much had been one of the redeeming aspects of this final season.

Lemme guess, they'll bring back Michael to remind us when we didn't want this show to end.
They've already said Carrell won't be showing up.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #6680 on: February 08, 2013, 03:37:59 AM »
Wow The Office was nearly mediocre tonight but not quite l. Is it just me or was Andy never a dick until this season?

I guess there has to be a new "new boss"? Lemme guess, they'll bring back Michael to remind us when we didn't want this show to end.

They've been all over the map with Andy but yeah they turned him into an utter dick this season just so they could have that Erin plot line. Even though they spent the last 3 seasons trying to humanize him via the erin relationship. They just make up the shit as they go along to fit whatever they are going for in the moment. It's really lame.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #6681 on: February 08, 2013, 03:44:18 AM »
He was a little pompous but he was at least usually nice rather than an asshole 24/7. I agree, he shouldn't have been the new manager, Dwight or Stanley would have been better.

They basically killed the character when they started the season. And now they have the receptionist jumping through two romance arcs in one season.

The show has absolutely nothing interesting about it.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #6682 on: February 08, 2013, 03:47:27 AM »
And now they have the receptionist jumping through two romance arcs in one season.
Well, they do have to get her with New Jim so the show can end the same way it started.

You know, when Pam leaves the last time and looks around at The Office at the end of the final episode.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #6683 on: February 08, 2013, 03:50:53 AM »
And now they have the receptionist jumping through two romance arcs in one season.
Well, they do have to get her with New Jim so the show can end the same way it started.

You know, when Pam leaves the last time and looks around at The Office at the end of the final episode.

It's so cloying its painful.

Beezy

« Reply #6684 on: February 08, 2013, 10:08:51 AM »
And it was ass. Thankfully Parks & Rec has been fucking amazing this season. It's the only comedy left worth watching on NBC.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6685 on: February 08, 2013, 10:48:01 AM »
Both the middle and the neighbors on ABC are pretty damn entertaining.
The Middle is one of the most consistent sitcoms out there. It never reaches incredible heights or anything but it does everything quite well and rarely does things poorly. I've been watching it from the start and it's maybe the hardest show to sell to anyone because in a world of Community and everything else it sounds so incredibly bland and cliche. And it probably is but just does everything well with good actors and always seems to catch itself before getting too corny or sappy. Plus Norm McDonald is on sometimes!

It's really kinda jarring next to the ever increasingly bipolar and unfunny Modern Family.
I'll agree with all of this.  It's a really simple but effective sitcom.  It's a bit safe but I don't think that really matters.

And Modern Family is pretty awful for the most part now. 

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6686 on: February 08, 2013, 12:29:50 PM »
Just finished The Walking Dead S2.

Good fucking riddance Shane got gutted. Also they are FINALLY, after 13 epiosdes, off the farm.

Shane was awesome. Fuck Rick

Beezy

« Reply #6687 on: February 08, 2013, 03:01:09 PM »
I'd sacrifice Shane to level up Carl any day.

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #6688 on: February 08, 2013, 05:12:20 PM »
My previous views on Vegas, with Dennis and his 'brother' has been massively reinforced by watching episodes recently.
The writers also seem to have a long thread going, which is good. Does The Chiklis have a no swearing clause in his appearances, he's actually probably gay. Which is cool.
:{]

Stoney Mason

« Reply #6689 on: February 08, 2013, 05:51:54 PM »
And it was ass. Thankfully Parks & Rec has been fucking amazing this season. It's the only comedy left worth watching on NBC.

It was indeed an awful episode. Literally probably the worst one of the entire run of the show which doesn't bode well for losing Dan Harmon.

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #6690 on: February 08, 2013, 05:59:43 PM »
Community became shit after the Birthday Cake episode.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #6691 on: February 08, 2013, 07:21:38 PM »

It was indeed an awful episode. Literally probably the worst one of the entire run of the show which doesn't bode well for losing Dan Harmon.

I didn't know it was possible for Community to be any worse than it has been.
🍆🍆

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #6692 on: February 08, 2013, 07:51:54 PM »

you're gonna like season 3
sup

Beezy

« Reply #6693 on: February 08, 2013, 08:07:38 PM »

you're gonna like season 3
I'm completely caught up with the show. Also played the game and read all the comics during the mid-season break to make the wait more bearable. I can't wait for Sunday night.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #6694 on: February 09, 2013, 12:19:25 AM »
Just finished Community and mostly agree it was bad - although all of the non-high concept stuff when it was just the characters interacting was still great. Future episodes would be better served not trying overcompensate for Harmon's exit.
___

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6695 on: February 09, 2013, 12:21:58 AM »
Just finished Community as well, I thought the ep was good. I laughed more than a few times, in fact I thought it was way better than S3's beginning episode.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #6696 on: February 09, 2013, 07:35:22 AM »
why is  this season of spartacus so shit?

Beezy

« Reply #6697 on: February 09, 2013, 07:48:14 AM »
because it's not

ZephyrFate

« Reply #6698 on: February 09, 2013, 12:27:28 PM »
why is  this season of spartacus so shit?
what the fuck is wrong with you

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #6699 on: February 09, 2013, 12:43:31 PM »
It is, fuck off lamers. It feels like it lost something, I'm skipping scenes with certain chars even :I

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6700 on: February 09, 2013, 01:08:17 PM »
I haven't started the new Spartacus season yet, been too distracted lately.

But I have been watching some shorter stuff with my brother. We're on Curb S4; so far it's not as good as the others but I have yet to see a truly "bad" Curb episode outside of the pilot. And we're still watching King Of The Hill S1 which is awesome.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #6701 on: February 09, 2013, 01:12:28 PM »
Aah, I think what I'm missing is a purpose. They seem to have no direction and are just a group of murdering, wandering hobos. Combined with neutered Crixus and shit Navea I just cant. I like the villains a lot so far though. 
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 01:15:56 PM by Momo »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6702 on: February 09, 2013, 01:17:21 PM »
I will say last season did feel off at times, and I'm not 100% on board with the new Spartacus actor. IMO Spartacus was always best when the gladiator shit was the focus. The pilot ep of S1 was horrible in part because it just didn't work as a large scale war/adventure show. Nonstop war just isn't as interesting as the backdoor dealing parlor intrigue of S1 and the prequel.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #6703 on: February 09, 2013, 01:18:58 PM »
Nonstop war just isn't as interesting as the backdoor dealing parlor intrigue of S1 and the prequel.
Seconded

ZephyrFate

« Reply #6704 on: February 09, 2013, 03:49:41 PM »
I will say last season did feel off at times, and I'm not 100% on board with the new Spartacus actor. IMO Spartacus was always best when the gladiator shit was the focus. The pilot ep of S1 was horrible in part because it just didn't work as a large scale war/adventure show. Nonstop war just isn't as interesting as the backdoor dealing parlor intrigue of S1 and the prequel.
The Romans had absolutely incredible backdoor intrigue in S2 and it's following suit in S3. The show has only gotten better. "Monsters" from S2 might be one of the finest episodes of TV ever made.

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #6705 on: February 09, 2013, 04:13:57 PM »
Dude, you're a bit like one of those J kamikaze pilots, as Spartacus progresses, you realise it's actually getting worse, but you have invested your taste shares into it, so instead it's actually getting better (its not). Those J K pilots must have been superhyped to have received a personal letter written by a god, and probably the training part was fun, along with the rush of actually taking off and flying towards the objective, but as you near it, you realise that actually the idea, while sound in its initial stages, is dumb and pointless.

So do you pull the air brakes, or do you plummet to a fiery death?

Or watch Banshee, the hero is mentally fucked

« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 04:16:55 PM by Martin Raperman »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6706 on: February 09, 2013, 04:21:14 PM »
Dude, you're a bit like one of those J kamikaze pilots, as Spartacus progresses, you realise it's actually getting worse, but you have invested your taste shares into it, so instead it's actually getting better (its not). Those J K pilots must have been superhyped to have received a personal letter written by a god, and probably the training part was fun, along with the rush of actually taking off and flying towards the objective, but as you near it, you realise that actually the idea, while sound in its initial stages, is dumb and pointless.

wtf is up with the camera in that video? Is that just the uploader's fault or does the show really look like that?

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #6707 on: February 09, 2013, 04:34:08 PM »
It looks like that, and its totally sweet.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #6708 on: February 09, 2013, 04:54:46 PM »
looks like the auto stabilizer on youtube is enabled for that video
nat

Beezy

« Reply #6709 on: February 09, 2013, 05:24:35 PM »
No it doesn't look like that. I couldn't watch it if it did.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6710 on: February 09, 2013, 05:25:47 PM »
No it doesn't look like that. I couldn't watch it if it did.

ok thank god. I'll give the show a shot

ZephyrFate

« Reply #6711 on: February 09, 2013, 06:30:02 PM »

No, it actually is getting better. The writing, cinematography, and characters have all grown and improved on almost every fundamental level. If you can watch an episode like "Monsters" or the premiere episode of S3 and say, "wow it's gotten worse" then you really don't seem to get Spartacus.

It's a very well-written drama and has been finding ways to mirror the scenes with Rome and Spartacus better with each passing episode. The introduction of Crassus is arguably stronger than the one of Batiatus.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 06:31:42 PM by ZephyrFate »

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #6712 on: February 09, 2013, 06:37:34 PM »
Utopia and Banshee are just brutal shows and certainly worth your time thus far
Tonya

Stoney Mason

« Reply #6713 on: February 09, 2013, 08:08:52 PM »
I finished House of Cards and it's good but not great. I give it between a 7 and 7.5/10. Peter Russo and Claire Underwood save the show, because I don't really enjoy anyone else character-wise.

Damn if it isn't one of the best-looking shows out there; right up there with How to Make it in America and Mad Men.

I watched the first two episodes of this today.

meh. It's not great. It's not awful. I think it thinks its a lot more clever than it is which is a bit annoying. Also Spacey seems like the only actual character in the show. The rest of the cast seem to be convenient props to get from point A to point B.

But I've only watched two episodes so maybe it picks up or something.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #6714 on: February 09, 2013, 09:05:50 PM »
Man New Girl is legit good this season. Its a little more raunchy than cutesy now that the group is vibing with eachother (writing wise). Jessa isn't treated delicately now either which helps a lot.
:9

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #6715 on: February 09, 2013, 09:09:45 PM »

Utopia sounds cool, I may check that out.
©@©™

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #6716 on: February 09, 2013, 09:13:57 PM »

Just read Utopia's premise and what. Getting this now.
:9

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #6717 on: February 09, 2013, 10:41:00 PM »
Aah, I think what I'm missing is a purpose. They seem to have no direction and are just a group of murdering, wandering hobos. Combined with neutered Crixus and shit Navea I just cant. I like the villains a lot so far though.

It's to show the rebels not be total saints. Especially Naevia and her blood lust. I wouldn't be surprised if the roman prisoners get slaughtered by the crowd when they eventually get discovered.

The whole point is this is the first season where the bad guys aren't totally bad and good guys aren't totally just. Although, last season Spartacus did bring down a whole coliseum.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6718 on: February 09, 2013, 11:20:57 PM »
Just watched the first ep of the new Spartacus season. The beginning gave me concern but I was on board the minute Crassus was introduced. I can tell he's going to be fucking awesome. The actor reminds me a bit of Laurence Olivier's take on the character in the original Spartacus film.

also am I the only person who got gay vibes the second Tiberius appeared on screen.  :lol

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #6719 on: February 10, 2013, 12:36:34 AM »
Friday nights are amazing thanks to Spartacus and Banshee so much tits and violence :bow2
Drunk