Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2084335 times)

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #12540 on: June 28, 2016, 02:51:22 AM »
So game of thrones and silicon valley are over both great seasons...
Watchin Outcast and Preacher now, both are pretty great
outcast is pretty underrated id say even. preacher is slow but enjoyable.
im like 2 eps behind on penny dreadful but hearing how it ends im probably just gonna leave myself in suspense there. shame it ended badly and out of nowhere because it was one of my favorite shows.
read another rumor Hannibal might be coming back Im hoping thats true at least
萌え~

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #12542 on: June 29, 2016, 09:26:14 PM »
http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/television/2016/06/cinematographers_from_game_of_thrones_jessica_jones_and_better_call_saul.html

This is easy to explain: manchildren have equated darkness with depth.  Everything has to be grimdark or else butthurt nerds will whine about it.  This has been the case for over a decade, I think maybe since the first Xmen movie in 2000.
🍆🍆

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #12543 on: June 29, 2016, 09:35:21 PM »
Did you read the article?

chronovore

• relapsed dev

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #12545 on: July 02, 2016, 12:29:36 AM »

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #12546 on: July 05, 2016, 04:49:46 AM »
I've been watching Mr. Robot S1 now that it's on Amazon Prime streaming.  Loved the pilot, and the show is very well directed and the main guy sells the whole thing.  Great music too.  Story seems like every plotline is getting worse than the last, and what started as good plot writing now seems to have moments of out of character writing just to create DRAMA subplots, but it's still addictingly entertaining and they've got me hooked in at this point.  On ep7 now, probably finish it up in the next day or two.  Definitely will wait for S2 to finish before watching since it's a "need next ep" type show.

Just watched the pilot and liked it too, main guy is really cool as well.

Plus I've found out Christian Slater is alive.

Obligatory:

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #12547 on: July 09, 2016, 09:25:59 PM »
UnREAL is so much worse this season. Thinkng of dropping it. It went from mean and incisive to just another soapy thing with a unique setting. I'll still easily recommend the first season, though.
serge

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #12548 on: July 09, 2016, 09:38:10 PM »
Since Netflix seems to be getting worse while simultaneously raising prices, I decided to look into HBO Now.  So I caught up on two series in the past few weeks:

Game of Thrones - I hate this genre but I love this show.  Reminds me a lot of Rome except even more degenerate and unsurprisingly I see a lot of actors from Rome on the show.  Good stuff.

Silicon Valley - I like Mike Judge and Silicon Valley is probably one of his better efforts (although I think both Beavis and Butthead and King of the Hill are better).  Gets 2-3 good laughs out of me each episode.

I tried to watch John Oliver but jfc he has the most punchable faces I've ever seen.
🍆🍆

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #12549 on: July 09, 2016, 09:41:55 PM »
UnREAL is so much worse this season. Thinkng of dropping it. It went from mean and incisive to just another soapy thing with a unique setting. I'll still easily recommend the first season, though.

Yeah, just too many dumb plotlines going at once this season as well. Jeremy is also awful as hell. There was some article/piece about this season where the showrunner was like "Jeremy is not my type, we didn't really want him but Showtime was like he's our go to type he has to be on the show" so they seem to be trying to burn him down on the show, but it's making the show even worse.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story

Freyj

« Reply #12551 on: July 09, 2016, 11:08:03 PM »
holy fuck I just realized Mr. Robot is back in a few days sweet christ  :preach

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #12552 on: July 10, 2016, 10:32:07 AM »
Since Netflix seems to be getting worse while simultaneously raising prices, I decided to look into HBO Now.  So I caught up on two series in the past few weeks:

Game of Thrones - I hate this genre but I love this show.  Reminds me a lot of Rome except even more degenerate and unsurprisingly I see a lot of actors from Rome on the show.  Good stuff.

Silicon Valley - I like Mike Judge and Silicon Valley is probably one of his better efforts (although I think both Beavis and Butthead and King of the Hill are better).  Gets 2-3 good laughs out of me each episode.

I tried to watch John Oliver but jfc he has the most punchable faces I've ever seen.

If you're up for trying a random show no one else watches, especially since it's a Mexican show: Sr. Avila is a darker, more insane version of The Sopranos about a hitman who becomes don of his organization.  Obviously not quite the same quality, but most of the actors are good (the son is not) and the first season is a roller-coaster ride. HBO should just do an English version of it instead of throwing piles of money toward shit like Vinyl.
AMC

helios

« Reply #12553 on: July 10, 2016, 10:51:28 AM »
Just finished The Good Wife.
What an inconsistent final (two) season(s). Overall the show was good but Alicia was one of my least favourite characters. Eli Gold GOAT.
First seasons were quite good but if I hadn't been so far into the show on account of watching it someone else's bed I probably wouldn't have finished it.

Now to catch up on Silicon Valley season 3!

spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Good Wife just forgot how to be a good show after Will was murdered. And then there's that drama behind Archie Panjabi and Juliana MArgulies not being in a scene together for years.
[close]

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #12554 on: July 10, 2016, 07:06:12 PM »

So you've never seen Ted Cruz?

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #12555 on: July 10, 2016, 11:10:52 PM »
FSociety has struck again. This time, the fictional hacker organization from Mr. Robot gave the show’s fans exactly what they wanted: a look at the full season 2 premiere episode three days before it airs on Wednesday on USA.

The network held a Facebook Live Q&A session Sunday night featuring the show’s cast and hosted by Keegan-Michael Key. All seemed to be going smoothly until about 20 minutes into the livestream, when FSociety interrupted and launched into a rant about the interview itself. And then, the first 60 minutes of the premiere episode aired right then and there.

That was just the beginning. After the episode completed, it disappeared from Facebook. Shortly thereafter, the preview appeared on Twitter, Snapchat, YouTube, and USA Network’s homepage.

See below for details… and watch while you can.
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/10/mr-robot-season-2-premiere-early-facebook?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

pretty fucking cool. I learned about it an hour too late, hopefully I can catch it tomorrow.

TVC15

« Reply #12556 on: July 10, 2016, 11:21:24 PM »
Eh, I'd rather wait a few days and get the full 2 hour premiere.
serge

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #12557 on: July 11, 2016, 12:36:06 AM »
...anybody else watch The Night Of on HBO?
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #12558 on: July 11, 2016, 02:05:21 AM »
No but I'm watching tomorrow. Looks amazing.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #12559 on: July 11, 2016, 05:59:47 PM »

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #12560 on: July 11, 2016, 07:30:31 PM »

If you're up for trying a random show no one else watches, especially since it's a Mexican show: Sr. Avila is a darker, more insane version of The Sopranos about a hitman who becomes don of his organization.  Obviously not quite the same quality, but most of the actors are good (the son is not) and the first season is a roller-coaster ride. HBO should just do an English version of it instead of throwing piles of money toward shit like Vinyl.

Thanks for the recommendation.  This is a great show
🍆🍆

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #12561 on: July 11, 2016, 10:38:34 PM »

I'm not gonna even look up a synopsis. I'm in.

Bebpo

« Reply #12562 on: July 14, 2016, 03:58:57 AM »
I'm going off on Preacher on gaf.  But you would be too after watching two episodes back to back to catch up.  Two hours of mind numbing boredom with a couple of good scenes and a whole bunch of bad ones featuring an incredible unlikable main character.  At least there's only 3 more to go.  I just wanna see if this has all been build up for them to go crazy in the finale and if the finale sucks and the show is just boring and pointless. I really don't see any way I'll watch s2. 

I mean I had issues with game of thrones's adaptation from s2 on, but at least it was really entertaining.  I'll take a bad show over a bad & boring show anyday.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #12563 on: July 14, 2016, 10:31:55 AM »
I watched it last night.  The tension was really great and the character introductions were too.  I'm pretty hopeful.  My wife started out complaining that the characters were stupid and what the hell was going on but by the end she was asking "Is there only one episode out?  When's the next one?"

TVC15

« Reply #12564 on: July 14, 2016, 01:32:38 PM »
Is it just me, or is the new Mr. Robot especially visually dark, even considering how dark TV shows are today. I might have to crank my TV's brightness. It's like I'm just seeing vague shapes moving around in darkness a lot of the time.
serge

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #12565 on: July 14, 2016, 02:00:16 PM »
Is it just me, or is the new Mr. Robot especially visually dark, even considering how dark TV shows are today. I might have to crank my TV's brightness. It's like I'm just seeing vague shapes moving around in darkness a lot of the time.

Not just you. Pretty sure my calibration is fine but all of the bar scenes and a lot of the scenes with Angela were just drenched in darkness. I'm assuming Esmail just really felt like pushing digital natural light wanking this season. He's directing every ep this season.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #12566 on: July 14, 2016, 03:41:30 PM »
We're in the middle of The Americans S2 and yeah it's straight fire. :lawd
So many great characters, such a good use of covert characterization. The seemingly endless Cold War setting is a terrific fit for a series. It's a bit on the implausible side (the protagonists are leaving a lot of corpses in their wake) but that's expected when they need to be the fulcrum of every chapter of the shadow war.

And those actresses. :datass
ὕβρις

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #12567 on: July 14, 2016, 07:31:30 PM »
We're in the middle of The Americans S2 and yeah it's straight fire. :lawd
So many great characters, such a good use of covert characterization. The seemingly endless Cold War setting is a terrific fit for a series. It's a bit on the implausible side (the protagonists are leaving a lot of corpses in their wake) but that's expected when they need to be the fulcrum of every chapter of the shadow war.

And those actresses. :datass

I was going to post something about how hot Keri Russell is, but when I looked at the cast lineup --yeah-- there are some very attractive women on the show. I'm hoping it comes to Amazon.co.jp's streaming sometime soon.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #12568 on: July 14, 2016, 07:45:55 PM »
Annet Mahendru is a gorgeous woman (Afghan, Russian and Indian origins) and even the bit players are super glamourous (Susan Misner and Wrenn Schmidt). Plenty of stuff for the ladies as well (:milady) a lot of the actors are very lean and tall, it's maybe a casting choice. Not surprised to learn Keri Russell started in dance and she did age incredibly well.

A small aside but it's much appreciated that all the scenes in the Soviet embassy are acted in russian.
ὕβρις

TVC15

« Reply #12569 on: July 15, 2016, 02:39:14 AM »
Quote from: VomKriege link=topic=32049.msg2164350#msg2164350
A small aside but it's much appreciated that all the scenes in the Soviet embassy are acted in russian.

It's appreciated, but any scene in Russian is the snooziest part of the plot, throughout the series. Much of it could be removed with minimal impact on the rest of the plot.
serge

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #12570 on: July 15, 2016, 04:24:31 AM »
Not sure I would agree, I think it's a key component for the show. It wouldn't work as well with only the sleeper agents and no material illustration of who they are and their Soviet beliefs behind the mask. I think the writer have been quite adept at illustrating some important Soviet particularities (strained relations and stereotypes about Jews, members of the nomenklatura having a lot of influence) thanks to that. It would also run too much at risk of evolving into a weird sitcom taking place in the protagonist neighborhood. It's more plausible that the FBI counter intelligence agent would be kept engaged in the plot via his focus on the traditional spy channels than being on a wild goose chase for invisible agents in the wild.

For instance I found the plot of trading a defected Jewish scientist and Mossad mole against a thousand of Soviet refuzniks to be as if not more engaging on the whole backend angle.
[close]
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 04:33:16 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #12571 on: July 16, 2016, 12:07:19 AM »
Stranger Things is pretty awesome so far two episodes in.

Would recommend.

I mean look at this kick ass poster

TVC15

« Reply #12572 on: July 16, 2016, 12:17:09 AM »
It sounds like trash that worships some of the worst aspects of 80s flicks. Might watch out of curiosity since I'm kinda incapacitated.
serge

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #12573 on: July 16, 2016, 12:26:57 AM »
nope

TVC15

« Reply #12574 on: July 16, 2016, 12:35:47 AM »
I'll watch it, but I'm going to start hating as soon as a precocious child appears or when there is an initial attempt at evoking whimsy. I'm predicting this will be less than 5 minutes, because this thing looks like a fucking Willco brain dump.

Or I could just watch The Craft. Or Mommie Dearest, which is finally on Prime again.
serge

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #12575 on: July 16, 2016, 12:52:18 AM »
Obviously there will be a shot that says "hey this is the 80s yall" but you could say this about any period piece

and yea the kids are basically 10 year old boreans

I havent finished the show obviously but if you are cool with a Super 8 homage then you will like this too

TVC15

« Reply #12576 on: July 16, 2016, 01:00:39 AM »
I loathed Super 8. I thought most people thought it was mediocre?
serge

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #12577 on: July 16, 2016, 01:14:24 AM »
then I dont think you will like this, super 8 has 82% on rotten tomatoes so its liked

TVC15

« Reply #12578 on: July 16, 2016, 02:28:03 AM »
Ugh. This is already shitty and implausible. Would a white kid in Indiana in the early-to-mid 80s really be allowed to have a black friend? I see the Arvie PC police have reviewed this carefully to make sure it's sufficiently multi-cultural.

Edit: Also, all the kids are preternaturally ugly. Like diseased ugly.

Edit 2: Who wrote this shit? A cigarette immediately after brushing your teeth? Terrible. This wasn't written by a smoker.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 02:46:14 AM by TVC 15 »
serge

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #12579 on: July 16, 2016, 03:22:55 AM »
I didnt fee at al that the kid was out of place the smoking was weird but you got your menthol smokers too you know...

Anyhoo I already told you you wouldnt like it :)

Kids are not ugly at all, weird gripe tbh.

TVC15

« Reply #12580 on: July 16, 2016, 03:28:42 AM »
Another interesting ugly observation: they saddle all the males with the worst haircuts of the 80s, but the ladies generally have more modern cuts (there's one exception I saw in the first ep). Pretty anti-male.

Anyway, watched the first ep, and this is pretty terrible. It's just snippets of shit ripped off from 80s movies with something like an X-Files vibe mixed in. There's not an original bone in its body, and it feels really hollow. It's like a shitty remix of things you liked as a kid. It's definitely Super 8: The TV Series.

Edit: Winona is notably bad here. Not Bram Stoker's Dracula bad, but she's definitely channeling daytime soap operas.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 03:38:30 AM by TVC 15 »
serge

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #12581 on: July 16, 2016, 04:14:09 AM »
yeah super 8 x files sounds good to me :-*

TVC15

« Reply #12582 on: July 16, 2016, 04:56:00 AM »
The soundtrack is also very poorly done. You can tell that the people behind the show thought "HEY, ITS THE 80S! LETS USE SYNTHS!" but much of the time they aren't using anything approaching period-appropriate synths. Also, the show in general has a big problem with constantly reminding the viewer "HEY ITS THE 80S!"
serge

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #12583 on: July 16, 2016, 05:22:46 AM »
 :lol

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #12584 on: July 16, 2016, 06:24:39 PM »
Cat assed stranger things, it was awesome

TVC15

« Reply #12585 on: July 16, 2016, 06:38:00 PM »
It's an easy D-. Maybe an F, but I won't be fooled into going back and watching the rest.

I'm going to have to watch a pirated copy of Urotsukidoji 2 to balance out this garbage. Only nazi death rape machines can save me now.
serge

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #12586 on: July 16, 2016, 07:07:09 PM »
Speaking of HEY IT'S THE 80'S syndrome, the Americans is doing a great job with using period tracks only at certain key points each season, when they could have gone overboard with it. Though it is also maybe for budget convenience.
ὕβρις

TVC15

« Reply #12587 on: July 16, 2016, 08:59:33 PM »
Speaking of HEY IT'S THE 80'S syndrome, the Americans is doing a great job with using period tracks only at certain key points each season, when they could have gone overboard with it. Though it is also maybe for budget convenience.

Yeah, I originally had trouble getting into The Americans because the first few episodes lay it on pretty thick. I'm glad I was eventually kinda forced to watch. It's one of the best things going right now.
serge

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #12588 on: July 17, 2016, 03:11:34 PM »
stranger things getting better and better

ep4 :delicious

TVC15

« Reply #12589 on: July 17, 2016, 03:18:32 PM »
For you Willco-ites, I imagine watching the show gives you a feeling comparable to when an Alzheimer's patient manages to recall a vague memory about their past.
serge

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #12590 on: July 18, 2016, 12:08:30 AM »
Willco-ites putting it at 9.2 om IMDB and number 26 in top 250 :rejoice

White Man stans  :goty

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #12591 on: July 18, 2016, 12:44:04 AM »
IMDB is trash. As long as your women characters suck you can get a good score there  :doge
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 08:29:42 AM by Phoenix Dark »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #12592 on: July 18, 2016, 12:45:56 AM »
I'm not gonna wathc it but I can appreciate it if it means we get more Winona Ryder in stuff.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #12593 on: July 18, 2016, 12:47:41 AM »
It's like Goonies, ET, Xfiles and Akira in one ridiculously tropey package. Really fun and engaging and I really liked how it was shot and edited.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #12594 on: July 18, 2016, 12:50:26 AM »
IMDB message boards sometimes have golden conversations though.

The hate in Master Chef threads is reason enough for me to visit the site  :doge

Also started watching Mr Robot. Was worried it wouldn't live up to the hype, and that it being on USA meant it would be neutered heavily in a lot of ways.

Was really glad to be completely wrong. On episode 5 of season 1, every episode thus far has had ton a of 

:gladbron :rejoice  :lawd

moments.
OH!

helios

« Reply #12595 on: July 18, 2016, 09:04:35 PM »
Stranger Things was great. One thing I hate about certain shows is when you have this great premise, but the B plot has nothing to do with it except create some cheap drama/suspension and I thought that this was where Stranger was going to, but then it pulled it all together and even surprised me with some developments.

I loved how it has a good explanation for why the three major groups don't talk to each other until the end: they don't know that they're all working to the same goal. It's not like Lost where people withhold vital information for no reason.
[close]

A weapon to surpass Metal Gear
[close]

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #12596 on: July 19, 2016, 12:50:26 AM »
Friend of mine catassed Stranger Things last night and said I need to watch it. Glad to see generally positive (bit mixed) reviews from you boritos.

Started VIKINGS last night, and am stoked on Gabriel Byrne as the greedy and backstabbing Earl.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #12597 on: July 19, 2016, 02:21:35 AM »
I enjoyed Stranger Things, but felt it kind of unraveled a bit at the end. Still, I prefer shows with shorter seasons. I really feel like the Marvel shows suffer from being longer than 10 or even 8 episodes.
yar

Bebpo

« Reply #12598 on: July 19, 2016, 02:45:30 AM »
I watched ep1 and enjoyed it somewhat.  I appreciated how it was a really well done throwback like retro horror films that are in style now.  Thought it was fairly well directed and liked the music.  The sci-fi stuff was fun to watch, but I agree with TVC that it's all been there done, that.  The people stuff (school kids and such) was mostly kind of dull and mainly just worked out of nostalgia.  I'll definitely watch the whole thing through, but probably at a snails pace since I wasn't particularly hooked.

I enjoyed Stranger Things, but felt it kind of unraveled a bit at the end. Still, I prefer shows with shorter seasons. I really feel like the Marvel shows suffer from being longer than 10 or even 8 episodes.

I wish Stranger Things was 30 min episodes instead of 60 min.  I think a lot of shows would benefit from shorter tighter runtimes, but somehow the market has decided only comedies are 30 mins and all non-comedies need to be hour long episodes.

Also watched Twelve Monkeys S2 episode 1.  I'd told myself that I wasn't going to watch S2 even though I really enjoyed S1 as ridiculously entertaining popcorn entertainment with time-travel, ninjas, government conspiracies and basically every crazy sci-fi cliche all in a single show; But I wasn't planning on watching it because a time-travel show only works if it's not cancelled so the loop closes in the end and I'm concerned about the show making it to the end.  Still I caved and watched ep1 now that S2 finished and yeah, Twelve Monkeys is super entertaining.  I think it's really held together because the main two lead guys have this great rapport with each other that's the backbone of the show.  It's not high-brow, but it's a real fun guilty pleasure and I guess I'll be watching all of S2 now.

And Preacher still fucking sucks and is moving at a snails pace and has almost nothing to do with the comic it's based on.  I think I know where the final is heading and it's either going to finally re-align the show with the comics or just completely set the show in the wrong tone even further.  For those who've read the comics:

Jesse is going to call god down from heaven to show the people of the town that god exists.  I have a feeling this is what the show is using to get god out of heaven because unlike the comic it seems he never left.  So he'll use Genesis on god and then god probably either runs away or smites him and he's off to find god either out of remorse or for punishment.  We'll see how this plays out in the finale.
[close]
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 02:50:48 AM by Bebpo »

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #12599 on: July 19, 2016, 10:10:12 PM »
WDW