Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2084336 times)

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #14880 on: March 14, 2018, 07:40:22 AM »
I don't understand, I'm saying it's good

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #14881 on: March 14, 2018, 09:34:00 AM »
Peep Show is incredible.  For a show with some incredibly shocking moments it never feels like it's trying to be edgy.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Taking a bite out of the semi burnt dog almost killed me from laughter
[close]

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #14882 on: March 14, 2018, 12:25:30 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #14883 on: March 14, 2018, 03:13:46 PM »
Continued with Homeland

This is getting more bizarre by the minute. They've just introduced the 'real life 4th wall' plot that they have every season.
In this case the Russians meddled with the election but the 'good guys' won. But the 'good guys' might actually not be so good and now the Russians are getting Fox News watchers to shoot the FBI after the FBI shot a kid in a stand-off with jeeps and machine gun people who are hiding a poor imitation of Alex Jones.

I half expect this season to end with Carrie waking up all sweaty figuring out it was all a dream. 
🤴

Snoopycat_

« Reply #14884 on: March 14, 2018, 03:41:06 PM »
I finally finish rewatching The Wire. I always thought
Omar's death
[close]
was bullshit but I kind of see now it was necessary for the ending. Anyway, I was going to watch the new season of Sneaky Pete cos I quite liked the last one but I just can't work up much enthusiasm for it. Maybe I'll watch the new Billions instead

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #14885 on: March 14, 2018, 04:40:53 PM »
I finally finish rewatching The Wire. I always thought
Omar's death
[close]
was bullshit but I kind of see now it was necessary for the ending. Anyway, I was going to watch the new season of Sneaky Pete cos I quite liked the last one but I just can't work up much enthusiasm for it. Maybe I'll watch the new Billions instead

I'm doing a rewatch too since I got the Bluray series box for cheap last year. I finished season 2 recently but decided to wait a while before starting with season 3.

That show is even better on a rewatch  :lawd

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #14886 on: March 14, 2018, 07:21:53 PM »
Season 2 of Jessica Jones first couple of episodes put me to sleep

seconded, this shit is so fucking irredeemably dull

Tasty

« Reply #14887 on: March 14, 2018, 11:58:50 PM »
I was drawn in and enjoyed the start, but I liked seeing what the characters were doing and where they ended up :trumps Plus it sows the seeds very well for the rest of the season.

Seems strange that the first post-Defenders show makes no mention of it though, aside from a vague "team up" line. Half the plot of Iron Man 3 (first Phase 2 movie) was Tony dealing with the fallout from The Avengers.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #14888 on: March 15, 2018, 12:06:08 AM »
because it sucked and everyone involved knows it sucked

Tasty

« Reply #14889 on: March 15, 2018, 12:08:29 AM »
Well yes but it still seems strange. Phase 2 of the MCU felt much more connected than Phase 1.

Phase 2 of the Netflix MCU seems exactly like the first, going by JJ.

Though Daredevil s3 and Iron Fist s2 will probably lean more heavily into the references.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #14890 on: March 15, 2018, 01:01:14 AM »
Season 2 of Jessica Jones first couple of episodes put me to sleep

seconded, this shit is so fucking irredeemably dull
This is a complaint I can understand, I still liked it even though there were large stretches I just found nauseatingly boring. 

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #14891 on: March 15, 2018, 02:21:04 AM »
Did you Peep Show fans check out Back? It's also great, a worthy successor imo

Corporate's season finale was really really good. Jake's rap rock lyrics were just incredible. I really like this show, I hope it comes back.

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #14892 on: March 15, 2018, 02:28:45 AM »
Tonight’s X-Files was really good. This has turned out to be a really good season. I kinda hope they do a full reboot with new agents, if they can find the right leads. There are clearly writers out there with good ideas.
serge

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #14893 on: March 15, 2018, 02:32:16 AM »
Did they bring back Vince Gilligan or are the writers just excellent and faithful to what made the series great?
每天生气

TVC15

« Reply #14894 on: March 15, 2018, 02:37:31 AM »
Did they bring back Vince Gilligan or are the writers just excellent and faithful to what made the series great?

It’s like half old and half new writers. No Vince Gilligan (he’s busy working on a Jim Jones miniseries and isn’t working much on Better Call Saul much this season either). Three of the four eps by new writers have been great. One is definitely a classic. The fourth is merely pretty good, a decent mid series MOTW ep.
serge

shosta

« Reply #14895 on: March 15, 2018, 02:39:04 AM »
Oh, really? I've been obsessed with Jim Jones lately, thanks for the heads up.
每天生气

TVC15

« Reply #14896 on: March 15, 2018, 02:40:06 AM »
The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat is the ep of the season, though. Darin Morgan deserved a better career. Like every one of his episodes would be a top tenner.

Next week is the finale, which is mythology and probably really really terrible. The first episode was mythology and maybe one of the worst eps of the series.
serge

TVC15

« Reply #14897 on: March 15, 2018, 02:40:47 AM »
Oh, really? I've been obsessed with Jim Jones lately, thanks for the heads up.

Did you know he got the money for his first church by selling monkeys?
serge

shosta

« Reply #14898 on: March 15, 2018, 02:56:22 AM »
Yes. Did you know the name of the riot caused by the sentencing of Dan White in May of 1979, the White Night riot, shares the same name as the mock suicide rituals Jim Jones would make his followers commit every single day in Jonestown until they finally killed themselves in November of 1978? I have never seen this connection made before but I think it's too coincidental.
每天生气

TVC15

« Reply #14899 on: March 15, 2018, 03:22:13 AM »
Yes. Did you know the name of the riot caused by the sentencing of Dan White in May of 1979, the White Night riot, shares the same name as the mock suicide rituals Jim Jones would make his followers commit every single day in Jonestown until they finally killed themselves in November of 1978? I have never seen this connection made before but I think it's too coincidental.

I knew of Jonestown White Nights, but I didn’t know the Dan White riots were referred to as that. I’ve only lived here three years!
serge

shosta

« Reply #14900 on: March 15, 2018, 03:25:13 AM »
Heh, I was born in SF. Not that I ever lived there, although I spent six years in Union City.
每天生气

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #14901 on: March 15, 2018, 03:45:57 PM »
First Koresh, and now Jones huh? Hopefully we get a Marshall Applewhite miniseries to complete the trilogy

TVC15

« Reply #14902 on: March 16, 2018, 01:30:05 PM »
serge

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #14903 on: March 16, 2018, 01:40:56 PM »
I bought The Road To Jonestown for Xmas. Need to finish Legacy Of Ashes so I can read it.
reckt

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #14904 on: March 16, 2018, 02:37:22 PM »
Drag Race Finale

WHAT THE FUCKKKKKKK SHANGIE GOT FUCKED .... AND THEN KENNEDY DID
[close]

Tasty

« Reply #14905 on: March 16, 2018, 03:04:34 PM »
All my friends are pissed about Drag Race's outcome lol

TVC15

« Reply #14906 on: March 16, 2018, 05:45:36 PM »
You all know I’m a pretty jaded bastard, but I legitimately felt bad when I saw that look on her face when she didn’t make top 2.
serge

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #14907 on: March 16, 2018, 06:28:42 PM »
Watching Wild Wild Country, the cult that amassed outside of Antelope, Oregon in the '70s. Its insane just how devoted to the ideas of this cult leader almost fifty years after the movement these people are. But this must be the impression thats left when you give purpose to those who feel spiritually lost.
:9

TVC15

« Reply #14908 on: March 16, 2018, 06:34:32 PM »
Watching Wild Wild Country, the cult that amassed outside of Antelope, Oregon in the '70s. Its insane just how devoted to the ideas of this cult leader almost fifty years after the movement these people are. But this must be the impression thats left when you give purpose to those who feel spiritually lost.

Is this about the Rajneesh cult or whatever that jizzed salmonella all over the restaurants near them so they could rig elections? I saw a Forensic Files episode about them.
serge

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #14909 on: March 16, 2018, 06:38:38 PM »

Is this about the Rajneesh cult or whatever that jizzed salmonella all over the restaurants near them so they could rig elections? I saw a Forensic Files episode about them.

Exactly the one lmao

So far you see the perspective of the cult initiates and its very rosy. But theres a dissonance thats working its way in from the outside perspectives.

At its core its a culture clash but man, things got underhanded pretty quickly. Rajneesh's right hand buying up property in Antelope. Even buying out the local diner, changing the name to Zorba the Buddha and frying up eastern dishes instead of eggs and bacon. Thats some fine trolling. This is a town and region full of staunch Christians.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 07:11:32 PM by BlueTsunami »

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #14910 on: March 16, 2018, 08:01:51 PM »

Goddamn

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #14912 on: March 16, 2018, 11:06:28 PM »
Yeah this thing is insane, I'm on the 4th episode of 6 and its stunning how a percieved utopia just spiraled down to the lowest levels of morality. There's nuance here with how the cult is portrayed, they're empathetic at first. But the war games between the group and locals brought out the worst in everyone. Even the interviewed faithful were aware enough to see that line.

Its also timely. From the perception of the locals it certainly comes off as bigoted. The mostly white Christian locals tried to intimidate the group out of existence. The diifference being this group were not pascifists. They matched the agression each step of the way.

As to what TVC brought up. Yep, 700 locals from the Dalles were stricken with salmonella but it was never proved that the cult did this. Quite a coincidence though given the context of what had happened proceeding that.

Theres just wealth of information to wade through here. The various motivations. I'm especially curious about this east meets west, spirituality meets capitalism philosophy. Its so hilariously shallow on its face. Feels almost like the proto-scientology.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 11:12:28 PM by BlueTsunami »

TVC15

« Reply #14913 on: March 16, 2018, 11:12:39 PM »
Yeah this thing is insane, I'm on the 4th episode of 6 and its stunning how a percieved utopia just spiraled down to the lowest levels of morality. There's nuance here with how the cult is portrayed, they're empathetic at first. But the war games between the group and locals brought out the worst in everyone. Even the interviewed faithful were aware enough to see that line.

Its also timely. From the perception of the locals it certainly comes off as bigoted. The mostly white Christian locals tried to intimidate the group out of existence. The diifference being this group were not pascifists. They matched the agression each step of the way.

As to what TVC brought up. Yep, 700 locals from the Dalles were stricken with salmonella but it was never proved that the cult did this. Quite a coincidence though given the context of what had happened proceeding that.

But they found that the cult had samples of the exact same rare strand of salmonella, amongst other deadly chemical/bio agents, stored in their supplies. It couldn’t have been a coincidence. Watch the Forensic Files episode, too (also on Netflix).

And cult members were convicted and jailed for it. Maybe the documentary hasn’t revealed the whole story yet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_Rajneeshee_bioterror_attack
serge

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #14914 on: March 16, 2018, 11:18:28 PM »

But they found that the cult had samples of the exact same rare strand of salmonella, amongst other deadly chemical/bio agents, stored in their supplies. It couldn’t have been a coincidence. Watch the Forensic Files episode, too (also on Netflix).

Ahhh that would make sense. On the documentary they're still in the phase of trying to find criminal reasons to prosecute, so at that point its still a who done it. If thats the case, when they do raid the compound its probably going to be amazing. I'll definitely checking out the forensic files episode too.

They've also the alluded to "the laboratory" too an episode back. Apparently a state inspector was a door handle away from finding the facility but the dokr was locked and the group was skittish due to the armed Rajneeshee

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #14915 on: March 17, 2018, 01:47:14 AM »

BisMarckie

« Reply #14916 on: March 19, 2018, 01:24:40 PM »
I am catching up on Black Mirror. So far I am still at Season 3.
Man some of the stuff is pretty bad like the Waldo Episode from Season 2 or the Episode where they kill the "roaches". I really liked the first season and parts of season 2. Does it get better or did they run out of interesting ideas?

I liked the San Junipero episode because of the 80's atmosphere but most stuff before that in seasons 2 and 3 felt really bland.

Tasty

« Reply #14917 on: March 19, 2018, 02:17:12 PM »
s3 is really uneven just as a byproduct of having more episodes. s2 gets dinged because it only has three eps and one of them is that terrible Waldo ep, yeah. Personally, s3 probably has the most episodes I'd consider "good to great." I really enjoyed Nosedive, Shut Up and Dance, and San Junipero.

s4 is mostly trash though, unfortunately. The only truly great episode is the first and it's downhill from there. Highly disliked the last episode.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #14918 on: March 19, 2018, 02:22:17 PM »
I'd say at this point, mostly thanks to season 4, there are more mediocre and bad episodes than good episodes of Black Mirror. That last episode is such a trash fire. Charlie Brooker should move on to something new.
zzzzz

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #14919 on: March 19, 2018, 03:09:48 PM »
Yeah, I completely agree. I really enjoy Brooker but the last season started to verge on feeling like someone doing a parody of him. There's only so many ways you can tell a story about someones consciousness getting trapped in an egg or a videogame or a teddy bear or whatever, y'know? 

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #14920 on: March 20, 2018, 02:43:49 PM »

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #14921 on: March 20, 2018, 09:09:26 PM »
Arkangel is one of the weakest episodes of the show dude, you're nuts

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #14922 on: March 20, 2018, 09:55:23 PM »
Started Silicon Valley last night, pretty funny so far

TVC15

« Reply #14923 on: March 21, 2018, 12:40:08 PM »

How in the fuck is this an opinion an actual person has?

It has a decent concept with potential, but it takes that concept on one of the most predictable paths possible. It just felt underwritten to me. Largely the same issue with Crocodile. It felt like Brooker gave up after the first draft of the script on all the season 4 eps.
serge

Tasty

« Reply #14924 on: March 21, 2018, 12:49:25 PM »
Don't Hang the DJ was thin but still pretty fun. I stand by my original s4 statement though.

TVC15

« Reply #14925 on: March 21, 2018, 12:52:18 PM »
Don't Hang the DJ was thin but still pretty fun. I stand by my original s4 statement though.

Yeah, prob the next best after he first ep. It was closest to classic Black Mirror, but it still felt too derivative of things the series had already gone over.
serge

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #14926 on: March 21, 2018, 12:59:55 PM »

How in the fuck is this an opinion an actual person has?

You're in the minority on this one, bud. Honestly, you're the first person I've seen praise it.

BisMarckie

« Reply #14927 on: March 21, 2018, 01:02:49 PM »

After seeing it last night I can't disagree. It's just other older episodes crammed into one. I watched the beginning of Hang the DJ but I passed out after 10 minutes.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #14928 on: March 21, 2018, 01:04:37 PM »

Yeah, prob the next best after he first ep. It was closest to classic Black Mirror, but it still felt too derivative of things the series had already gone over.

Yeah, the entire season was a retread of past themes and concepts. The episodes that stood out (for me USS Callister and Hang the DJ) stood out purely on the basis of execution. Episodes like Arkangel never felt like it got beyond its original "helicopter parenting, but in the future" elevator pitch.
zzzzz

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #14929 on: March 21, 2018, 01:14:53 PM »

Yeah, the entire season was a retread of past themes and concepts. The episodes that stood out (for me USS Callister and Hang the DJ) stood out purely on the basis of execution. Episodes like Arkangel never felt like it got beyond its original "helicopter parenting, but in the future" elevator pitch.

That's what really bothered me about s4 - it felt like a lot of the episodes were cobbled together from concepts and ideas from previous seasons. The 'abuse of an unwillingly subservient copy of ones consciousness' USS Callister was done in the Christmas special, and I felt like the themes of Hang the DJ were better done in San Junipero.

Honestly though, the worst episode of season 4 was the one of the yearly Wipe we didn't get as a result of CB being caught up with the show :'(

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #14930 on: March 21, 2018, 07:46:51 PM »
Finished all (s3) of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. It's still fabulous, and I know it's a different show than 30 Rock, but having so many similar themes and actors on it, I still think 30 Rock is the better show. I randomly played the MILF Island episode after finishing UKS, and it's composed better, has more laugh aloud moments, and hits me in a betters spot. But UKS is still great, it just doesn't quite fill the 30R hole.  I think everyone on this board is younger than I am, so not many will relate to what a joy it is to see Carol Kane performing on TV again. When she was Simpka, Latka's girlfriend on Taxi, I developed a tremendous crush on her.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #14931 on: March 21, 2018, 11:02:02 PM »
Yeah Kimmy Schmidt is a hoot. It definitely feels like the spiritual successor to 30 rock. 30 rock may have overall been funnier on an episode to episode basis but Titus is the funniest best character to emerge from either show imo

Titus being an evolution of the D'fwan character from 30 rock

« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 11:06:30 PM by Stoney Mason »

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #14932 on: March 22, 2018, 12:22:50 AM »
So who watched Krypton?

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #14933 on: March 22, 2018, 04:52:44 AM »
So who watched Krypton?

Who would subject themselves to yet another shitty DC show?
TVC

Tasty

« Reply #14934 on: March 22, 2018, 10:30:28 AM »
Really, if they were committed to "Alien drama set in the DC Universe" there's like a million better choices than "Krypton except 50 years before Kal El is born."

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #14935 on: March 22, 2018, 01:30:33 PM »
Like maybe a lantern story or legion and rebels or Starfire pre earth :lawd

:cody
[close]

TVC15

« Reply #14936 on: March 22, 2018, 01:50:17 PM »
Tonight bitches

serge

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #14937 on: March 22, 2018, 01:57:25 PM »
Small Brain: lol Supernatural sucks
World Brain: First five seasons are alright, shit aftewards
Galaxy Brain: Its had ups and downs but its still a fun show even when it goes full soap opera
Cosmic Brain: The most important serialized television show of a generation...multiple generations

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #14938 on: March 22, 2018, 02:54:00 PM »
Tonight bitches

God I hope the pirates hop on this one, I had to buy all Stars 3 on amazon to get my fix in a timely manner

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #14939 on: March 22, 2018, 03:33:01 PM »
Finished all (s3) of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. It's still fabulous, and I know it's a different show than 30 Rock, but having so many similar themes and actors on it, I still think 30 Rock is the better show. I randomly played the MILF Island episode after finishing UKS, and it's composed better, has more laugh aloud moments, and hits me in a betters spot. But UKS is still great, it just doesn't quite fill the 30R hole.  I think everyone on this board is younger than I am, so not many will relate to what a joy it is to see Carol Kane performing on TV again. When she was Simpka, Latka's girlfriend on Taxi, I developed a tremendous crush on her.

Check out Great News. It's another Fey/Carlock joint, and it's very much in the same vein as 30 Rock/Kimmy. Kind of more of a successor to 30 Rock than Kimmy was, as it's set in a workplace, and I've heard that this is the show Tina Fey initially pitched before doing 30 Rock, though I have no idea if that's true or not