Author Topic: International Politics Thread - Disease and Disaster  (Read 1307350 times)

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
Re: International Politics Thread - Brexit? I hardly even know her!
« Reply #2220 on: June 29, 2016, 05:49:18 PM »
If Brexit still prevailed, at least we could know it was not just a one-time snapshot of a fragment of the population.

Yeah... this wasn't an initiative / proposition snuck on a primary ballot.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #2221 on: June 29, 2016, 06:02:45 PM »
Rather, it was the absurdly low bar for exit, requiring only a simple majority. Given voter turnout of 70%, this meant that the leave campaign won with only 36% of eligible voters backing it.

This isn’t democracy
Turnout during the 2015 UK election was only 66%. Only 24% of eligible voters voted for the Conservatives, yet they get 330 out of 650 seats?!?!? And Labour got 232 despite only 20% of eligible voters backing them!  44% of eligible voters determined 87% of Parliamentary seats. And the rest were Scots.

This isn't democracy.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2222 on: June 30, 2016, 01:17:21 AM »
An ukrainian soldier that was held captive in Russia under civil law (for the "murder" of two journalists killed by an artillery strike she did forward observation for) until last May is agitating the national politics (she was elected MP in absentia) going so far as aknowledging she would accept being President if so was the will of Ukraine.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/09/freed-ukrainian-pilot-nadiya-savchenko-calls-for-talks-with-separatist-rebels

Negasonic Teenage Warhead looking like her post-Deadpool career is going well.

benjipwns

« Reply #2223 on: June 30, 2016, 06:56:06 AM »
After reading some of the GAF thread on Jeremy Corbyn losing a no confidence vote massively in Labour, for whatever that thread was worth, and then browsing some UK political articles in relation it appears some people are calling for an election to be held in October of this year. These could be UK David Brooks' for all I know. (*MANDARK TRIGGER WARNING* 9th anniversary coming up of his potentially greatest sentence: "The drama opened, as these dark comedies are wont to do, with a strutting little peacock who went by the unimaginative name of Joe Wilson." With one of many runner-ups: "As Joe Wilson was an absurd man with a plain name, Scooter Libby was a plain man with an absurd name." Bonus: "Scooter Libby emerged as the least absurd character in the entire drama, and yet he was the one who committed a crime. President Bush entered the stage like a character from another world, a world in which things make sense.")

But from what I can tell, there's absolutely no reason for the Tories to agree to this other than as political cover to stall the exit from the EU. Which they could stall anyway if the people are "actually against it" as suspected. They have an absolute majority in Parliament, nobody else is even close, so attrition won't kill them off. Labour is imploding even more apparently based on this hilarious vote, so the "best" result could be a Tory plurality with gains for all the smaller parties. LD and UKIP mostly from the polls, though not by huge amounts.

The Conservatives have to willfully not form a government after the current one resigns or two-thirds of Parliament has to vote to dissolve itself. If the polling gets worse for Labour they alone could block the latter.

Also regarding Father Mike's original question that I poo-poo'ed with the law (which some GAFers don't seem to be aware is a thing) it seems one of the things that the Labour Party is upset with Corbyn about is that he shit on their "Labour In" Remain campaign. And they have e-mails (from a private server?!?) or whatever showing his staff trying to distance him from it because of left-wing opposition to the EU to preserve his position.

Also, all the Sanders/Corbyn comparisons in that GAF thread, in the comment sections of sites, etc. are great. Trump sounds like the better comparison outside of everything BUT ideology if you're going to do one of those "ALL POLITICS MUST FIT THE US MODEL" things we're so fond of.

benjipwns

« Reply #2224 on: June 30, 2016, 06:57:18 AM »
Also:
Jeremy Corbyn will shortly deliver a speech on the findings of Labour's anti-semitism report

LATEST: 'An occasional toxic atmosphere is in danger of shutting down free speech within (Labour Party)', reports S Chakrabarti in inquiry

Shami Chakrabarti Inquiry: Labour members should resist the use of Hitler, Nazi and Holocaust metaphors.
Preview of Democratic Party 2016 post-mortem after President Trump is sworn-in amirite.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #2226 on: June 30, 2016, 08:01:58 AM »
It's time that the left start actually acting like the left again.  The Clintonite/Blairite "third way" leftism pretty much leaves the average voter no choice except to vote for the green party or something if they want actual progressive politics.
🍆🍆

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #2228 on: June 30, 2016, 08:48:00 AM »
tbf theresa may is a much better pick to lead britain as an isolationist hellpit

good on boris recognizing talent and getting out of the way

T-Short

• hooker strangler
地平線

benjipwns

« Reply #2230 on: June 30, 2016, 09:10:42 AM »
You know what they say about guys with small hands...you can't trust 'em!

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #2231 on: June 30, 2016, 09:11:14 AM »
地平線

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #2232 on: June 30, 2016, 10:06:34 AM »
read from the bottom up

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #2233 on: June 30, 2016, 11:00:25 PM »
elsewhere in embarrassing world news: CCPPD releases yet another rap song http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-36670095

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #2234 on: July 01, 2016, 01:49:10 AM »
elsewhere in embarrassing world news: CCPPD releases yet another rap song http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-36670095

No, not really. :doge

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2235 on: July 01, 2016, 02:42:57 AM »
Following a measured speech after taking his oath before a small audience inside the presidential palace, the outspoken leader paid an evening visit to a Manila slum and unleashed profanity-laden threats against drug traffickers in front of a crowd of about 500 people

“These sons of whores are destroying our children. I warn you, don’t go into that, even if you’re a policeman, because I will really kill you,” the head of state told the audience.

“If you know of any addicts, go ahead and kill them yourself as getting their parents to do it would be too painful.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/01/philippines-president-rodrigo-duterte-urges-people-to-kill-drug-addicts
ὕβρις

Kara

« Reply #2236 on: July 01, 2016, 03:11:07 AM »
Britain can make compromises to secure continued access to the EU's single market, including possibly a contribution to the bloc's budget, but compromises on immigration are out of the question, Brexit campaigner Nigel Farage told Le Figaro.

Asked by the French daily if Britain would keep benefiting from access to the single market once it has left the European Union, even if it put up obstacles to EU migration, Farage, the head of Britain's anti-EU UK Independence Party, said:

"Absolutely. There can be compromises with the EU, including on a possible British contribution to the EU budget, even if I don’t quite see the logic for it. But there will be no compromises on what Europe calls "freedom of movement".

He added: "Putting the brakes on EU immigration, this is what 17.5 million voters asked us to do."

:neogaf

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #2237 on: July 01, 2016, 04:06:50 AM »
Commenter on FT breaks it down succinctly:

地平線

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #2238 on: July 01, 2016, 07:27:51 AM »
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/01/austrian-presidential-election-result-overturned-and-must-be-held-again-hofer-van-der-bellen

Austrian supreme court rules that the Austrian presidential election has to be held again.

Over the course of the investigation, it had emerged that several counting centres had begun to process postal votes on the eve of the election, rather than on the day after the election, as Austrian electoral law requires.

Witness statements in court also revealed that election observers in some centres had signed minutes of the vote count without having read them.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 07:32:34 AM by Mary Tyler Whore »
🍆🍆

fizzel

« Reply #2239 on: July 01, 2016, 07:34:17 AM »
Fucking bastards actually did it then.

It was dodgy as fuck how he lost at the last minute.

Fuck postal votes.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #2240 on: July 01, 2016, 08:47:50 AM »
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/01/austrian-presidential-election-result-overturned-and-must-be-held-again-hofer-van-der-bellen

Austrian supreme court rules that the Austrian presidential election has to be held again.

Over the course of the investigation, it had emerged that several counting centres had begun to process postal votes on the eve of the election, rather than on the day after the election, as Austrian electoral law requires.

Witness statements in court also revealed that election observers in some centres had signed minutes of the vote count without having read them.

No one witnessed any actual vote manipulation, but this is enough to 'confirm' all of the FPÖ people's fears.

Still, how fucking stupid do you have to be to not adhere to all the formalities? :doge

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #2241 on: July 01, 2016, 09:56:19 AM »
farage can act all tough but this negotiation will crush him and the uk unless they do as told

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #2242 on: July 04, 2016, 05:22:06 AM »
Farage bailing out now as well. Beautiful
地平線

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #2243 on: July 04, 2016, 05:22:57 AM »
Boris Johnson has accused the government of failing to explain how the vote to leave the EU can be made to work in the UK's interests.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-36700468

:lol
地平線

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2244 on: July 04, 2016, 05:23:34 AM »
Farage stepped down as the leader of UKIP, this man is beyond a joke. Both him and Boris Johnson are tossers of the highest caliber.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/04/nigel-farage-resigns-as-ukip-leader

Nigel Farage, the Ukip leader, is to step down as head of the party in the wake of the referendum which will see Britain leave the EU, he announced on Monday.

“During the the referendum I said I wanted my country back … now I want my life back,” Farage said at a press conference in London.

:rofl

Thanks Farage!

emoticon plz :brexit

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2245 on: July 04, 2016, 05:29:29 AM »
Thank God Britain will be for the little man aga...

George Osborne looks at corporation tax cut to attract overseas investors

The reduction from the current 20% rate will be part of the chancellor’s five-point plan to avert a DIY recession

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/03/george-osborne-looks-at-corporation-tax-cut-to-attract-overseas-investors

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #2246 on: July 04, 2016, 06:00:54 AM »
Yeah, they're gonna have to make that up somehow, I assume. Do they have anything left to cut, besides NHS funding?

Then again, I wonder how many actually pay that rate to begin with. :doge

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2247 on: July 04, 2016, 06:28:40 AM »
Cutting your rate by 25% not to have businesses leave is a disaster really for the budget.

But as you say, who is paying that anyway  :doge

I mean Brexit also means the EU won't look into UK companies tax havens.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #2248 on: July 04, 2016, 07:31:12 AM »
Well, at least Newswipe 2016 has a lot to work with

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #2249 on: July 04, 2016, 07:54:45 AM »
Farage stepped down as the leader of UKIP, this man is beyond a joke. Both him and Boris Johnson are tossers of the highest caliber.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/04/nigel-farage-resigns-as-ukip-leader

Nigel Farage, the Ukip leader, is to step down as head of the party in the wake of the referendum which will see Britain leave the EU, he announced on Monday.

“During the the referendum I said I wanted my country back … now I want my life back,” Farage said at a press conference in London.

:rofl

Thanks Farage!

emoticon plz :brexit

(Image removed from quote.)

Still planning to see out his MEP term and Ł80K a year Salary which goes direct to his tax havens in Jersey and Gibraltar which are now secure from EU interference because of the brexit.

What a conniving shit. :doge 

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2250 on: July 04, 2016, 08:20:18 AM »
Of course. Total scum, but if you go on thesun.co.uk you still have knobs defending him saying good job Nigel for standing up.

This is the era of the career opposition politician where it's all about whining but not taking any responsibility.

Kara

« Reply #2251 on: July 04, 2016, 08:57:34 AM »
It really plays to ageist bigotry for older Britons to campaign / vote to leave the EU and then go :badass and walk away from leading the country through the process.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #2252 on: July 04, 2016, 09:06:15 AM »
"We've had worse" is the most generous stance I can ascribe there.

Wonder if Ozzy G will touch their pensions to see it through, or if he's going to do anything but. The devil in me wants to see him do it, but then he's an awful cunt I don't want to be the deliverer of that karmic pie to the face.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 10:43:11 AM by Rufus »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2253 on: July 04, 2016, 10:08:18 AM »
Iraq, Bangladesh, Turkey... Will we ever be free from those fuckkng murdering bigots ?
ὕβρις

« Reply #2254 on: July 04, 2016, 10:31:27 AM »
Yeah, eventually. It's not like we're still being attacked by Rote Fraktion Armee. According to David Rapoport, the next phase of terrorism should begin around 2025. But it's just a guess and this wave of religious terrorism could certainly go longer, especially since it's not doing well politically. Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #2255 on: July 04, 2016, 10:41:11 AM »
Of course. Total scum, but if you go on thesun.co.uk you still have knobs defending him saying good job Nigel for standing up.

This is the era of the career opposition politician where it's all about whining but not taking any responsibility.

Remarkably I've seen a few cries of "Traitor" and that he's "Killed the party" from people who were adherents. It had always made it round in political gossip circles that the party was badly managed and Farage didn't think much of his own members. To the point he would suspend anyone going against him. The most likely candidate for new party leader is another crook called Paul Nutall who is significantly more incompetent and would run them onto. On top of that the rumors he was only really in it to make sure his business he runs from Gibraltar remained untouched got semi-confirmed today.

I'd anticipate the same slow disappearance into irrelevancy the BNP had when it turned out most of the party leadership, especially Nick Griffin, were taking expenses from party funding to pay for their own lifestyles and it was completely crooked. On top of the fuckery when Griffin tried to renege on a debt to an Ulster businessman with known Ulster Loyalist Terrorist connections and closed down their Belfast call center because of it. 

British far-right wing politics over the past decade :heh

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2256 on: July 04, 2016, 12:59:12 PM »
So, we're less than a month out from the vote and the top two Brexit leaders have already bailed out. At this rate, the referendum is going to get thrown to the curb and everyone will be begging Cameron to stay. :lol
dog

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #2257 on: July 04, 2016, 02:11:19 PM »
Merkel is trying to push out Juncker: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/03/angela-merkel-to-oust-jean-claude-juncker-as-europe-splits-deepe/

For what its worth, I doubt London will go away as Europe's financial capital and certainly won't be replaced by Paris.
🍆🍆

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #2258 on: July 04, 2016, 08:10:04 PM »
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-36706761

A suicide bomber has killed four security officers and injured five others near one of Islam's holiest sites in the Saudi city of Medina, according to the interior ministry.

The bomber detonated his explosives after being stopped outside the Prophet's Mosque, a statement said.

The mosque is the burial place of the Prophet Muhammad and Medina the second-holiest city in Islam after Mecca.

Blasts also struck two other Saudi cities on Monday.

Yikes
🍆🍆

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2259 on: July 05, 2016, 12:35:42 AM »
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-36706761

A suicide bomber has killed four security officers and injured five others near one of Islam's holiest sites in the Saudi city of Medina, according to the interior ministry.

The bomber detonated his explosives after being stopped outside the Prophet's Mosque, a statement said.

The mosque is the burial place of the Prophet Muhammad and Medina the second-holiest city in Islam after Mecca.

Blasts also struck two other Saudi cities on Monday.

Yikes

Is desacrating the Mosque a N-word thing ? Like some people are triggered because US soldiers were in the same country as it, but grudgingly grumble about it if it's a muslim fundamentalists like in 1979 ?
ὕβρις

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2260 on: July 05, 2016, 02:38:13 AM »
Merkel is trying to push out Juncker: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/03/angela-merkel-to-oust-jean-claude-juncker-as-europe-splits-deepe/

For what its worth, I doubt London will go away as Europe's financial capital and certainly won't be replaced by Paris.

I'd take UK papers with a pinch of salt they are trying to see the best case scenario for them right now.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2261 on: July 05, 2016, 02:57:09 AM »
You know, I think I am not too peeved with Farage's hypocrisy : European far right leaders shrinking like inflated buffoons at the prospect of power would actually be a decent deal in coming years...

It is pretty hilarious to see the "Leave" figureheads awkwardly admitting their total lack of preparation, tho.
ὕβρις

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2262 on: July 05, 2016, 03:05:24 AM »
I'm 100% convinced this is all part of their long game.

1. Successfully campaign for Brexit
2. Weasel away from fallout and mess that ensues as not to get blame for it
3. Come back in a few year to "clean up" because you saw "country needs you"

Peoples are stupid so them weaseling out will be forgotten and downplayed when they return to take power in a few years. They will have a clean sheet in their PR as they only won and never lost or messed up.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2263 on: July 05, 2016, 03:09:39 AM »
Meanwhile in France the socialist comedy tour is in full force.

"Blum and the Popular front were also called traitors"
"No we didn't betray the Left values, we inherited a a country in a dire situation !"

Quotes from the Agriculture minister and a local MP at a socialist meeting. Invoking Blum, who actually passed some of the most momentous labor legislation in a "dire situation" to say the least, is :neogaf
ὕβρις

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #2266 on: July 05, 2016, 09:53:57 AM »
You know, I think I am not too peeved with Farage's hypocrisy : European far right leaders shrinking like inflated buffoons at the prospect of power would actually be a decent deal in coming years...

It is pretty hilarious to see the "Leave" figureheads awkwardly admitting their total lack of preparation, tho.

The far right in the EU has screwed itself with years of corruption and bilking taxpayers. The only way they keep going is being the boogeyman and leftists trying to take them down via their words rather than their accounts. The later is harder to prove but it's an instant kill versus the oxygen of publicity the left normally gives them.   

As soon as Marie Le Pen ever gets a sniff of power. The "alleged" bungs from Arms companies and other lobbyists that were paid to her and her father (The ones that they went to court to prevent ever being published) will really come back to haunt her once there's a better public interest case :betty

fizzel

« Reply #2267 on: July 05, 2016, 02:25:50 PM »
Iraq, Turkey and Saudi all hit within a week.

Ya'll Saif swingers really need some jesus in your lives...

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2268 on: July 05, 2016, 07:14:56 PM »
Yeah Le Pen senior is a huge piece of work and he received plenty of money from all the same dark (and not just because they are from Africa) sources as the other politicians.

French Left is imploding on all sides now. Jean-Luc Mélenchon, ex-socialist and ever populist, pretty much dumped the Left Front coalition between his party and the remnants of the French Communists. It was always a difficult wedding : Communists were trying to assert too much control (according to Mélenchon), Mélenchon was too focused on the Presidential election instead of local politics (according to Communists... and pretty much everyone else) which is the last preserve of Marxists. Still you got to wonder just exactly how dumb they all are to scatter forces in the buildup to the next general elections for President and Parliament where the Socialist Party is almost guaranteed to do very poorly (Their yearly summer public convention is being scraped, for all intents and purposes, out of fear it will get rowdy with protestors : that's how unpopular they are). Mélenchon is rebranding himself as a total outsider to the system, the leader of "unruly France", but I don't think it will do better like that than if he had a bigger party behind him.

tl,dr : France will probably have a right wing President next year.
ὕβρις

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2269 on: July 05, 2016, 11:41:55 PM »

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2270 on: July 06, 2016, 07:08:23 AM »
Already at a few min in:

-Chav
-6 kids
-has a horse in back garden of a terrace house
-no job, on benefits
-refuses minimum wage jobs cause not good enough
-blames Poles
-has latest Nike England kit

:lol

benjipwns

« Reply #2272 on: July 07, 2016, 01:47:32 AM »
Corbyn saved!

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-36712735

Tony Blair overstated the threat posed by Saddam Hussein, sent ill-prepared troops into battle and had "wholly inadequate" plans for the aftermath, the UK's Iraq War inquiry has said.

Chairman Sir John Chilcot said the 2003 invasion was not the "last resort" action presented to MPs and the public.

There was no "imminent threat" from Saddam - and the intelligence case was "not justified", he said.

Mr Blair apologised for any mistakes made but not the decision to go to war.
After meeting relatives of British service people killed in Iraq, Mr Corbyn said: "I now apologise sincerely on behalf of my party for the disastrous decision to go to war."

He urged the UK to back moves to give the International Criminal Court "the power to prosecute those responsible for the crime of military aggression".

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #2273 on: July 07, 2016, 09:24:20 AM »
Cheney for Prison 2016  :american
©ZH

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #2275 on: July 07, 2016, 12:14:16 PM »

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #2276 on: July 07, 2016, 01:15:50 PM »
whoa, and I thought Trump had tiny hands.

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #2277 on: July 07, 2016, 07:50:05 PM »
to be fair, michael gove looks like he has some sort of strange motor deficiency doing all sorts of mundane things

https://twitter.com/rgncny/status/748906900738244608?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2278 on: July 07, 2016, 08:41:40 PM »
to be fair, michael gove looks like he has some sort of strange motor deficiency doing all sorts of mundane things

https://twitter.com/rgncny/status/748906900738244608?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Looks like his Human Skin Suit fits about as well as Ted Cruz'.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #2279 on: July 08, 2016, 12:52:54 PM »
Plague or cholera. Place your bets.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-36744449