Author Topic: International Politics Thread - Disease and Disaster  (Read 1307513 times)

VomKriege

• Do the moron
Re: International Politics Thread - Hard Sexit
« Reply #7560 on: October 11, 2019, 07:25:25 PM »
Well, at least the choice of stonewalling any eventual transfer of jihadists back to their own countries for judgement and let them in charge of authorities in those very stable regions is about to pay off handsomely.

:juicy
ὕβρις

team filler

• filler
  • filler

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #7562 on: October 11, 2019, 07:44:28 PM »
A conflict between its two most important instruments of enforcement is the most obvious sign of a neoliberal state on the brink of collapse

:doge

I would imagine it's an alarming sign for any state, neoliberal or not.
ὕβρις

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
每天生气

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #7565 on: October 12, 2019, 07:24:31 PM »
Welp,  the Turkish forces send by Erdogan have started to execute SDF units in the streets.
Graphic videos have hit social media.

MSM: "Trump did this :hmph"

No, the US and the EU did it you fucking dolts. When they didn't support the Turkish officers mounting a coup against ISIS in a suit.

EU can't do jack shit because Erdogan is threatening them with 3.5 million refugees.
Wait, I thought we wanted everyone to come here to work in the German auto industry?  ???

The slobs in the news media wrote more about Joker controversies that didn't exist than they did about Erdogan invading Syria.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 08:05:09 PM by Nintex »
🤴

shosta

« Reply #7566 on: October 12, 2019, 08:20:14 PM »
Saying western countries should have engaged in a violent regime change operation within a NATO ally is preferable to using a mixture of hard and soft power to secure one small corner of Syria :neogaf
每天生气

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #7568 on: October 12, 2019, 08:29:47 PM »
Saying western countries should have engaged in a violent regime change operation within a NATO ally is preferable to using a mixture of hard and soft power to secure one small corner of Syria :neogaf
If you think Erdogan is going to secure a 'small corner' of Syria I have a bridge to the Crimea to sell you.
Erdogan is just ISIS in s suit.
🤴

shosta

« Reply #7569 on: October 12, 2019, 08:36:31 PM »
No, idiot, I'm saying this is Trump's fault and the US should have done that. And that that's way easier than a fucking coup.
每天生气

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #7570 on: October 13, 2019, 11:12:05 AM »
- The US is evacuating all their 1000's of troops from Syria as Erdogan expands the operation beyond the 'safe zone'
- Turkey has hit civilian convoys of Kurds
- Journalists are being shot at
- US concerned Turkey has committed war crimes
- Russia has started bombing hospitals
- Russia has re-engaged rebel held Idlib
- The Kurds and Syrians are cutting a deal with Russia to counterattack against the Turks in the North

“In the last 24 hours, we learned that [the Turks] likely intend to extend their attack further south than originally planned, and to the west,” Esper said in a pre-taped interview with “Face the Nation” on CBS.

“We also have learned in the last 24 hours that the ... SDF are looking to cut a deal, if you will, with the Syrians and the Russians to counterattack against the Turks in the north.”

As of this hour Erdogan has not yet choked on a dick.
🤴

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #7571 on: October 13, 2019, 11:22:35 AM »
I can't follow what Nintex's line of thinking is.

I'm assuming he's talking about the attempted coup in 2016 in Turkey against Erdogan. Like, even if you think Erdogan's a religious fanatic, the common refrain is that people committing the coup were from a former ally/now rival political sect that is also heavily religious.

And if the U.S. and Europe 'did this' by not actively toppling another relatively stable country, then I'm not sure what the answer should be then, other than ensuring that Turkey wouldn't attack the Kurds in Syria because you know, that's another country that may harbor elements that that are dangerous to Turkey, but this is an invasion into another country. Turkey didn't try to do this until the U.S. pulled support. That particular set of conditions didn't happen until Trump publicly said this is now U.S. policy. Twice BTW, he tried to pull out of Syria by end of 2018 and was slow walked back by his military advisors, and now he just doesn't care.

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #7574 on: October 13, 2019, 01:22:40 PM »
The SDF has handed Manbij and Kobani to the Syrian Arab Army in exchange for help against the Turks.
The Syrian Arab Army is now moving North to confront the Turkish invasion.

https://twitter.com/gorranddr/status/1183424992031232000

https://twitter.com/i24NEWS_EN/status/1183432114034954240

It is unclear if Russia will provide the Syrians air support against the Turks.
They are expected to do reconnaissance and maybe attack the militia's but not the main Turkish army itself. 

France is said to consider an intervention.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 01:45:36 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Tripon

« Reply #7575 on: October 13, 2019, 01:51:30 PM »
https://twitter.com/antoguerrera/status/1183041386121224194

Reminder: Current deadline for Brexit is October 31st, 2019

Occam

« Reply #7576 on: October 13, 2019, 01:52:37 PM »
Hundreds of ISIS Supporters Flee Detention Amid Turkish Airstrikes

The attacks caused about 700 Islamic State families to escape a Kurdish-run camp. The American defense secretary also said the U.S. would pull about 1,000 troops from the area.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/13/world/middleeast/syria-turkey-invasion-isis.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

I seriously hope they flee straight to the US.
Would be willing to donate money to a Come Home to America Fund to help end this humanitarian crisis this way.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 01:58:21 PM by Occam »

Tripon

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #7579 on: October 14, 2019, 01:14:42 PM »
So...
- The US sets off to oust Assad for 'reasons'
- The US arms radical rebels to oust Assad
- Obama and Cameron can't get their countries to support air strikes
- Entire region is thrown into chaos by warring factions including ISIS
- Russia enters Syria to put the government back in control in the power vacuum
- The US sends special forces into Syria to create a Kurdish rump state who will do the fighting against ISIS
- Russia/Syria win the war against ISIS with US/Kurdish help
- Turkey invades Syria to prevent the Kurds from creating their own state
- US pulls out of Kurdish areas, unwilling and unable to fight a NATO ally
- Syria and Russia set off to defend Kurdish areas against Turkey as Kurds strike a deal with Assad

MSM: "another WIN for Vladimir Putin!"

Yes, returning to the status quo of friendly relations with a landmass named Syria is a 'HUGE WIN' for Vladimir Putin.
He must be thrilled the country is a bombed out ISIS wasteland and he may have to fight Turkish backed forces risking a wider conflict.

I can't believe Trump just gave away Syria. Especially because staying in Afghanistan and Iraq worked out so well.

US interests are at risk! They scream.
What interests? The interest of drone strikes? Oil, bitch you cookin'? The interest of forming a Kurdish state next to NATO ally Turkey as a sort of Israel 2.0?
What the fuck were they thinking.
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #7581 on: October 14, 2019, 02:07:33 PM »

LMAO

Putin looked like he was ready to nuke the planet.

THANKS JARED!  8)
🤴

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #7584 on: October 14, 2019, 04:19:23 PM »

So much for Turkey's economy
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #7585 on: October 14, 2019, 08:01:12 PM »

Tripon

« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 10:51:31 PM by Tripon »

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 08:57:38 AM by Great Rumbler »
dog

shosta

« Reply #7589 on: October 15, 2019, 11:54:34 AM »
每天生气

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #7590 on: October 15, 2019, 01:51:49 PM »
So Russia took over the US military bases in Syria.
What they found was ammo, supplies, working equipment and whiteboards with dick memes.

:lol

A Trump never pays his debts  8)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 02:57:42 PM by Nintex »
🤴

shosta

« Reply #7591 on: October 15, 2019, 03:03:08 PM »
Iraq is basically a proxy for Iranian interests now so I have no idea which leaders he was talking to that he thought were interested in his whining.
每天生气

Occam

« Reply #7592 on: October 15, 2019, 04:12:59 PM »
"Boris Johnson 'on brink of Brexit deal' after border concessions"
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/15/boris-johnson-close-to-brexit-deal-after-border-concessions
It is understood that the negotiating teams have agreed in principle that there will be a customs border down the Irish Sea. A similar arrangement was rejected by Theresa May as a deal that no British prime minister could accept.

Johnson will still have to win over parliament – including the Democratic Unionist party (DUP) and the hardline Tory Brexiters of the European Research Group (ERG) – on the basis that, under the deal, Northern Ireland will still legally be within the UK’s customs territory.

One Eurosceptic source close to both camps indicated that such an arrangement would be “extremely difficult for the DUP to swallow”, but neither the DUP nor ERG publicly made any criticism of Johnson’s efforts.

We shall see.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #7593 on: October 15, 2019, 04:50:25 PM »
https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1183695636857622528

And then they just open the doors just 1 second after she knocks. Much authority such Commons wow :doge

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #7594 on: October 15, 2019, 05:51:09 PM »
Corbyn won't vote for a deal brokered by Johnson. It would be political suicide.
Neither would the libdems who are in favor of remaining.

If Boris passes this deal he secures his (re-)election. As elections would follow swiftly before the consequences of the deal are clear.
Remainers would see no reason to head to the polls if the UK is already out and would be furious at their parties for failing to stop Johnson.
The Brexit party would likely dissolve, handing the Tories an easy election win. Labour party big wigs would finally be able to oust Corbyn.

The opposition strategy is to hold firm until October 31st so Boris can't exit, has to extend, resign and call elections.
An extension would be long as the EU isn't going to do this song and dance over and over again. Probably up to another year.
With Boris soundly defeated but still standing for re-election the keys of no. 10 would then go to either Corbyn or more likely Nigel.

So barring some miracle of Labour voting with Johnson, the DUP falling in line or public pressure - nothing will pass on Saturday.
🤴

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #7595 on: October 15, 2019, 08:38:55 PM »
Listening to family/friends on politics coming into the election has been grand  :lol

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #7597 on: October 16, 2019, 06:06:03 AM »
___

team filler

• filler
  • filler

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Occam

« Reply #7605 on: October 17, 2019, 06:16:36 AM »
They reached a deal, but since parliament has to agree to it, too and Johnson doesn't have the votes, nothing changes. DUP also opposes it.
So after all this time, we are back to exactly where we were with Theresa May, only with a worse deal for the UK.

Just as last time, I seriously hope the EU won't agree to yet another extension that isn't going to change anything.

I read today that apparently now 54% of Britons are in favor of Brexit, so please let them have it.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 06:22:33 AM by Occam »

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #7606 on: October 17, 2019, 06:58:18 AM »
They reached a deal, but since parliament has to agree to it, too and Johnson doesn't have the votes, nothing changes. DUP also opposes it.
So after all this time, we are back to exactly where we were with Theresa May, only with a worse deal for the UK.

Just as last time, I seriously hope the EU won't agree to yet another extension that isn't going to change anything.

I read today that apparently now 54% of Britons are in favor of Brexit, so please let them have it.

All the shit hole towns want brexit, and when they get it, they'll be first to be royally fucked when the factories shut down, that'll teach them.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #7607 on: October 17, 2019, 08:14:03 AM »
All the shit hole towns want brexit, and when they get it, they'll be first to be royally fucked when the factories shut down, that'll teach them.

I actually had a Brit defend their decision to vote for leaving (this is a 50+ year old, granted) as: "What if you (Americans) were tied to Brazil and called Brazilians instead of Americans?"
"...I'd be fucking glad to be called a Brazilian if it meant we had social programs like the Euro Union does for the UK?"

Like Christ, way to cut your nose to spite your face because "I'm proud to be American UKanadian, at least I know I'm free" jingoism makes you miss the fucking benefits of Euro's "fuckery."

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #7608 on: October 17, 2019, 08:31:06 AM »
Why is the DUP mad? England has taken back control and decided that NI will be sacrificed.

Isnt this what brexiters wanted?

Shows how important NI really is to Westminster

kingv

« Reply #7609 on: October 17, 2019, 08:46:59 AM »
Yeah man everyone knows we started calling British people Italians since the 90s.

I was planning on going to London and just grabbing my dick while yelling “Ayyyyyy, get me some-a Gababgool!”

But Boris Johnson has ruined my plans :-(

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #7610 on: October 17, 2019, 09:17:03 AM »

I actually had a Brit defend their decision to vote for leaving (this is a 50+ year old, granted) as: "What if you (Americans) were tied to Brazil and called Brazilians instead of Americans?"
"...I'd be fucking glad to be called a Brazilian if it meant we had social programs like the Euro Union does for the UK?"

Like Christ, way to cut your nose to spite your face because "I'm proud to be American UKanadian, at least I know I'm free" jingoism makes you miss the fucking benefits of Euro's "fuckery."
I'd love to know why that anon picked such a nonsensical analogy instead of literally any other seperatist movement. There's one that would resonate really well with Americans. :doge

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #7611 on: October 17, 2019, 10:11:10 AM »

Having lived here for just over a decade, I always found hilarious that the vast majority of brits (even folks who would never in a million years have voted to leave) would refer to the continent specifically as "Europe", as if it's a different place from their god forsaken island.

It's so deeply ingrained that they are somewhat different from us and "special". It's really baffling, for a country that really isn't that different from any other western European nation, with a language that is the bastard child of french and german :doge

I remember a guy who was gloating about getting his new passport without this "bloody EU label" on the cover. I asked him how he felt about his dear royal family's coat of arms bearing words in french. He didn't seem to know what I meant :lol

Occam

« Reply #7612 on: October 17, 2019, 10:37:24 AM »
You should have asked how he feels about the British royals being German. As you probably know they just changed the name in 1917.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Saxe-Coburg_and_Gotha

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #7613 on: October 17, 2019, 11:50:54 AM »

I'd love to know why that anon picked such a nonsensical analogy instead of literally any other seperatist movement. There's one that would resonate really well with Americans. :doge

Their point was more that the UK wasn't "independent" and that the Euro Union was driving every decision in the country and "we are called Europeans and not British." Which is really dumb, because half the benefit of the Euro Union is for all countries within it to "rise up"/every ship rises sort of deal. So going "Yeah, no, fuck that" means all the programs/benefits of being in it will stop and the UK (which hasn't had to worry about most of what the EU covers for 30+ years) is now going to have to fundamentally redo everything because of stupidity.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #7614 on: October 17, 2019, 01:02:08 PM »
Hate to see the dent Murdoch news media put in people's heads. :goty

Also, this person grew up being called British in addition to or instead of English, Welsh, Scottish, or (N.) Irish, but European is beyond the pale...

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #7615 on: October 17, 2019, 01:58:43 PM »
https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1184887924363542528

- Turks agreed to cease fire for 120 hours
- YPG has 120 hours to retreat from 20 mile wide safe-zone border area
- After withdrawal Turks halt all operations
- US helps Kurds to evacuate safe-zone area
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #7616 on: October 17, 2019, 02:09:29 PM »
What I wonder is if they consulted with Assad/Russia on this 'deal' or even the SDF forces themselves.

In their deal with Russia/Syria the Kurds gave up
- Protection from the US-led anti ISIL-coalition
- International aid
- Self-government
- Their own army (merged with SAA)
- Cities, resources and weapons(mostly surplus weapons and equipment from the anti-ISIL coalition will now be used to restock the SAA)

Now in this deal they give up:
- 20 mile wide border area

The question is, will Assad agree to Pence and Erdogan slicing off a 20 mile wide border area from Syria.
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #7618 on: October 17, 2019, 02:30:07 PM »
It worked out so well the last time the US helped a foreign country take land from another foreign country. It will certainly end with peace on all sided.
©ZH

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #7619 on: October 17, 2019, 02:56:24 PM »
The Kurds and Syrians have started celebrating this deal effectively 'ending' the war in Syria.

But....

Reports are trickling in that the SDF was not consulted or involved and does not agree with this deal.
🤴