Author Topic: International Politics Thread - Disease and Disaster  (Read 1307359 times)

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
Re: International Politics Thread - Brexit Ratified
« Reply #8460 on: January 30, 2020, 02:17:31 PM »
i apologize for not being 100% serious at all time like yourself on the board with such important and serious topics as "Favorite Frank" and "What's the best way to illegally import hundreds of birds from a remote island?"

Yeah, cause I only post super-seeriouz stuff at all times ::)

90% of the forum is shooting the shit, tongue in cheek, random lolz and whatnot.

Is it really impossible to have just a couple threads remain relatively free of random shite, ranging from "lolz baiiiited" to flat out disinformation?
If that doesn't bother you, then I'm not sure why you're complaining about me "being serious" either in any case dude.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #8461 on: January 30, 2020, 02:19:30 PM »
why is it always a secret right wing plot? maybe it's just that macron is kind of a moron?
I feel like at the bilderberg groups or the epstein islands whatever, the neo liberals just sit together in a room and brainstorm ideas of how to make people pissed at their governments with new insane policies that their friends in the press have to defend.
It's the only way I can explain most EU policy making from the last decade.

Also it's not like these policies caused the riots. They already had protests and riots and then they decided to reform the pensions as well because everyone was already pissed off anyway.
🤴

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #8462 on: January 30, 2020, 02:24:22 PM »
There were remainers in the Tory party just as there were radical leavers.
There were 75 conservatives who voted against May's deal the second (or maybe third) time. If you look at those people I think you'll find that very few of them were Remainers. Only 3 Conservatives voted against Johnson's deal. The issue with May was that it wasn't a strong enough Brexit and she wasn't allowed to leave NI in the customs union (even though this was offered by the EU).
每天生气

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #8463 on: January 30, 2020, 02:35:40 PM »
Yeah, cause I only post super-seeriouz stuff at all times ::)

90% of the forum is shooting the shit, tongue in cheek, random lolz and whatnot.

Is it really impossible to have just a couple threads remain relatively free of random shite, ranging from "lolz baiiiited" to flat out disinformation?
If that doesn't bother you, then I'm not sure why you're complaining about me "being serious" either in any case dude.
cause you'll respond 100% of the time :lol

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #8464 on: January 30, 2020, 02:37:50 PM »
There were remainers in the Tory party just as there were radical leavers.
There were 75 conservatives who voted against May's deal the second (or maybe third) time. If you look at those people I think you'll find that very few of them were Remainers. Only 3 Conservatives voted against Johnson's deal. The issue with May was that it wasn't a strong enough Brexit and she wasn't allowed to leave NI in the customs union (even though this was offered by the EU).
It wasn't strong enough for some and not soft enough for others so it had no chance. Not to mention the guy who negotiated most of it dropped his support  :lol
Boris changed it every so slightly but enough to get it over the finish line but he still needed to replace a bunch of MP's with a new election and defeat the more liberal wing of his party to do it.

Anyway that's thankfully all behind us now and the EU tax payer won't have to pay Farage's MEP salary for another 20 years.  :yuck
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #8465 on: January 30, 2020, 03:02:48 PM »
I was wondering why "#Greece" was trending but apparently some MP tore up the Turkish flag and now the Ottomans want to drown all the Greeks.
https://twitter.com/milliyet/status/1222875093287809024
🤴

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>

team filler

• filler
  • filler

BisMarckie

« Reply #8468 on: January 30, 2020, 03:32:00 PM »
I was wondering why "#Greece" was trending but apparently some MP tore up the Turkish flag and now the Ottomans want to drown all the Greeks.
https://twitter.com/milliyet/status/1222875093287809024

#Yunanistan ? I like Final Fantasy X-2 as much as the next guy, but naming a state after its protagonist is a little bit much. :rodney

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #8469 on: January 30, 2020, 03:39:52 PM »
What if they change the Y to a P?

shosta

« Reply #8470 on: January 30, 2020, 03:40:11 PM »
There's no "media blackout" of the French strikes, American news just completely ignores international news. I hear about it on The World.
每天生气

BisMarckie

« Reply #8471 on: January 30, 2020, 03:40:37 PM »
I can't support a state that stans Yuna over Lulu (the best girl). :camby

Lulu was my first and last hot goth gf. :expert

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #8472 on: January 30, 2020, 03:49:36 PM »
 :thinking yuna+lulu=lula  :thinking

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #8473 on: January 30, 2020, 05:57:40 PM »
Has Macron responded at all?

He usually makes a snide remark like they need to find jobs or something and flies to some other continent for a meeting.

I feel like the UN should do a 'swap world leader' day or something like those 'house wife swap' TV shows.
Make Macron the President of the US for a day, Merkel the President of China, Xi the President of Germany, Putin the leader of Belgium, Trump the President of France etc. .
Maybe people would better appreciate the leader that they have or realize they're all shit.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 06:01:48 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8474 on: January 30, 2020, 06:28:23 PM »
There's no "media blackout" of the French strikes, American news just completely ignores international news. I hear about it on The World.

I mean its more this is just the french being the french.  Like when are they not protesting shit?

kingv

« Reply #8475 on: January 31, 2020, 01:54:33 AM »
I remember reading some things about Macron early on pointing out that he was roughly as popular in France  as Trump was in the US, I.e. not very.

He basically just failed up by running against a crazy person, and somehow thought that gave home a strong mandate.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #8476 on: January 31, 2020, 03:18:10 AM »
I remember reading some things about Macron early on pointing out that he was roughly as popular in France  as Trump was in the US, I.e. not very.

He basically just failed up by running against a crazy person, and somehow thought that gave home a strong mandate.

You're basically saying that Hillary Clinton should have had a dick.

Happy Brexit.

Occam

« Reply #8477 on: January 31, 2020, 06:48:18 AM »
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jan/30/brexit-730000-britons-acquired-non-uk-eu-irish-passports-since-2016
Most are applying for Irish citizenship, followed by Germany, followed by Sweden and then France. Interestingly, only a handful are applying for Spanish passports despite 600,000 British people living there.

NekoFever

« Reply #8478 on: January 31, 2020, 07:23:20 AM »
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jan/30/brexit-730000-britons-acquired-non-uk-eu-irish-passports-since-2016
Most are applying for Irish citizenship, followed by Germany, followed by Sweden and then France. Interestingly, only a handful are applying for Spanish passports despite 600,000 British people living there.

Spain requires naturalised citizens to be able to speak Spanish and to have shown integration into Spanish culture, which precludes the Brits out there.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #8479 on: January 31, 2020, 07:43:53 AM »
Has Macron responded at all?

This is like a Rammstein video :doge

https://twitter.com/JoshuaPotash/status/1222213652822052866

The government just need to explain the reform more betterer.
ὕβρις

kingv

« Reply #8480 on: January 31, 2020, 08:05:34 AM »

You're basically saying that Hillary Clinton should have had a dick.

Happy Brexit.

She didn’t fail us, we failed her :usacry

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #8481 on: January 31, 2020, 08:10:11 AM »

Brexit Day!
🤴

Occam

« Reply #8482 on: January 31, 2020, 10:55:09 AM »
Amusing, but lacks a punchline. They took her for a ride (or rather, flight) and then did nothing with it.
Ironically throwing parties for nazis, that'll show them!

Raist

« Reply #8483 on: January 31, 2020, 04:15:00 PM »

Spain requires naturalised citizens to be able to speak Spanish and to have shown integration into Spanish culture, which precludes the Brits out there.

Same in France. Though I assume Brits speaking some sort of French might be a more common occurrence than for Spanish.

Funnily enough the level of French fluency required to be demonstrated as part of the naturalization process was recently increased - but it won't take effect till April.

Occam

« Reply #8484 on: January 31, 2020, 06:16:19 PM »
So, Great Britain has left the EU. How long until it becomes Little Britain?

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #8485 on: January 31, 2020, 06:17:55 PM »
Nice to see this thread turn into british parliament itself.
ExoYZA.

benjipwns

shosta

« Reply #8487 on: January 31, 2020, 07:04:43 PM »
?
He's removing you from parliament by naming you
每天生气

benjipwns

« Reply #8488 on: January 31, 2020, 07:19:18 PM »
Coincidentally, I just was randomly reading about all the British fascist/neo-Nazi parties and I might have found a more fractional and splitter based group than most countries Communists are. Also like every party since the 1930s was started by the same three dudes. And they all had affairs with each others fiances while each dude was in prison and shit like that. And they basically cycled through the same 200-300 followers in each group until the BNP changed in the 1990s. (Also they started dying off.)

One time George Lincoln Rockwell of the American Nazi Party told the one dude he should try backing off the race hatred a little if he wanted to garner more support than the tens of followers and the guy told him to fucccckkkkkk ooooffffoffffff back to the colonies.

benjipwns

« Reply #8489 on: January 31, 2020, 07:23:48 PM »
lol someone made this chart for Wikipedia and it's literally only one branch of the movement, so like a third of the groups:

They briefly unified in their own National Front (ala the one in France) just for it to fall apart in a scandal regarding members using it as a front to have homosexual sex with each other.

benjipwns

« Reply #8490 on: January 31, 2020, 07:27:00 PM »
NIGEL FARAGE ON LOU WHAT THREAD DO I POST THIS IN

:dobbs :dobbs :dobbs :dobbs

Occam

« Reply #8491 on: January 31, 2020, 07:30:28 PM »
PM directly to Nintex?

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #8492 on: January 31, 2020, 07:31:56 PM »
NIGEL FARAGE ON LOU WHAT THREAD DO I POST THIS IN

:dobbs :dobbs :dobbs :dobbs

:preach :bow :bow2 :gbcry :usacry thank you emperor Trump

https://twitter.com/LouDobbs/status/1223405314738917376
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 08:09:54 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #8493 on: February 01, 2020, 04:18:12 AM »
Feels pretty good to be free of the tyranny of the unelected eu this morning brehs :pimp

(ice)

Raist

« Reply #8494 on: February 01, 2020, 06:16:31 AM »
Does it?

The tyranny just got worse, you're still under EU rules but have no representation anymore :umad

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #8495 on: February 01, 2020, 06:46:01 AM »
Feels pretty good to be free of the tyranny of the unelected eu this morning brehs :pimp
It seemed impossible but you did it and reclaimed your freedom from the cult.
After the overthrow of Berlusconi, neutering Greece and the sponsored coup in Ukraine it was pretty obvious the whole thing was steaming towards disaster.
Hopefully more countries will follow and a new alliance can be forged that looks out better for the interests of all of Europe and prevents yet another 'lost decade' of failed 5 year plans.

🤴

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #8496 on: February 01, 2020, 02:09:41 PM »
The French government and its majority at the assembly opposed and voted down a proposed law to extend leave for parents who lost their child from 5 to 12 days. After getting near immediate scorn from basically the whole political spectrum, Macron ordered them to backtrack this.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 02:25:18 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Raist

« Reply #8497 on: February 01, 2020, 02:23:03 PM »
What kind of special moron do you have to be to vote against something like this :lol

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #8498 on: February 01, 2020, 02:24:50 PM »
What kind of special moron do you have to be to vote against something like this :lol

A Macronist apparently.  :brain
ὕβρις

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #8499 on: February 01, 2020, 02:25:21 PM »
France's government is run by people who think running an increase in the gas tax wouldn't cause massive riots that will last for years.

It did.

shosta

« Reply #8500 on: February 01, 2020, 02:39:25 PM »

Between this and "Anyone but Trump? Not so fast." watching the NYT slowly ease itself into ethnonationalism is a hell of an experience
每天生气

Occam

« Reply #8501 on: February 01, 2020, 05:56:02 PM »
Morons. But most of the readers who commented on the article seem to have a pretty astute view of what's going to happen to "Great" Britain next.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/01/world/europe/brexit-britain.html?action=click&module=News&pgtype=Homepage#commentsContainer

The only winners of Brexit are a few wealthy Britons and the European Union (and possibly Putin).

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #8502 on: February 01, 2020, 07:56:14 PM »
I think both the UK and EU are going to 'win'.

The EU will realize it can not just run on autopilot in Brussels with the heads of the biggest German car makers but needs to engage the entire population of Europe for their plans.
It might even make them realize that some of their 5/10/20 year agendas do not benefit Europe at all and reform.

The UK gets to spend the money they've always wanted to spend without EU regulations holding them back.
They were never fully 100% with the EU ever since Gordon Brown kept the Pound in favor of the Euro.
Brexit is simply the logical conclusion of an ongoing process of the UK distancing itself from the German/France axis.
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #8504 on: February 01, 2020, 09:37:47 PM »
February 2020 - Rick Scott explains to Guaido that his sugar daddy John Bolton is no longer a friend of Trump and thus he is on his own, Colorized.
🤴

Raist

« Reply #8505 on: February 02, 2020, 09:18:24 AM »
Those trade talks are already shaping up to go reaaaaally smoothly.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51345776

Boris Johnson is to say he won't accept alignment with EU rules when Britain negotiates a trade deal with Brussels.

Occam

« Reply #8506 on: February 02, 2020, 10:31:30 AM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #8507 on: February 02, 2020, 12:44:54 PM »
It's just some bluster for the home front.
What Boris says and does is often the opposite.  :lol
🤴

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #8508 on: February 02, 2020, 12:57:30 PM »
Being in London I’ve heard soms dumb as fuck things.
On that stuck out was “Well the EU is basically if the nazis has won WW2” also a pub had an British flag with fuck the EU and vote Brexit which my buddies and I scratched out using a sharpie then we got told to leave because we apparently destroyed a flag..... seriously considering moving back to the US as fuck the way this country is at the moment. It’s probably the most short sighted decision ever, bloody inbreeding in towns that will most likely lose the most jobs because the factories they work in will have to move into Europe so they can sell their goods without ridiculous tariffs. HP had to make a U.K. support centre for faults just so they can maintain their SLA targets, it’s just so stupid.

Raist

« Reply #8509 on: February 02, 2020, 01:36:01 PM »
People have been lapping up 4 decades of random shite about the EU.

3.5 years after the bollocks pro-Brexit campaigns, and they're still repeating the "finally we can now make our own laws" "can't wait for the government to use those £350M per week on schools and the NHS" lines, etc etc :lol

They'll probably likewise gobble up whatever lies the Tories have lined up next to excuse their policies.

kingv

« Reply #8510 on: February 02, 2020, 02:06:39 PM »
It really depends on how resolute the EU is on sticking it to Britain. It will be bad for the EU, but Britain has way more to lose.

If the EU plays hardball enough the UK will be back hat in hand in 10 years begging the EU to let them trade according to EU rules.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #8511 on: February 02, 2020, 02:15:20 PM »
It really depends on how resolute the EU is on sticking it to Britain. It will be bad for the EU, but Britain has way more to lose.

If the EU plays hardball enough the UK will be back hat in hand in 10 years begging the EU to let them trade according to EU rules.
All member states have to agree.
None of them want to ever be in the same position.

It'll mostly be business as usual with some perks for German car makers and others who pay their lobbyists well.
🤴

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #8512 on: February 02, 2020, 02:22:17 PM »
I mean we left but still using their laws for at least the next year...

Occam

« Reply #8513 on: February 02, 2020, 02:24:12 PM »

I certainly hope so. But whatever happens, the UK won't get access to the single market without following the rules and paying for it (like Norway, without having any say). A far as financial services are concerned, the EU absolutely won't tolerate London becoming "another Singapore", as I've heard some people claim. That notion if simply idiotic.

shosta

« Reply #8514 on: February 02, 2020, 02:48:04 PM »
Draft of Lebanese financial rescue plan promises "painful" steps

Sounds like the citizens will lose pretty big (more cuts, more taxes). The government should pick Lebanese people over creditors.
每天生气

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #8515 on: February 02, 2020, 04:30:54 PM »
Nintex pumping up those agri exports numbers once again

https://twitter.com/thauma_idesthai/status/1223709264704831491

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #8516 on: February 03, 2020, 04:08:10 AM »

shosta

« Reply #8517 on: February 03, 2020, 05:17:59 AM »
When Fernandez was elected in Argentina he made it sound like he would not be as reckless as Kirchner and that he would work with international creditors to resolve the debt crisis. But two months in and basically nothing has happened.

Last week, the ministry of finance published a new timeline for negotiations over the $100bn of international debt. Under this plan, the government will not provide a restructuring offer until the second week of March. This leaves creditors with just two weeks to respond if they are to meet the end of March deadline. Major creditors were “fuming” and may not “dignify the process with an answer”, the person added.

Most likely they will come to an agreement but they want Argentina to commit to spending cuts and a sustainable repayment plan. It just goes to show how inescapable a debt trap can be.

anyway death to the bankers
每天生气

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #8518 on: February 03, 2020, 05:31:57 AM »
The French government and its majority at the assembly opposed and voted down a proposed law to extend leave for parents who lost their child from 5 to 12 days. After getting near immediate scorn from basically the whole political spectrum, Macron ordered them to backtrack this.

Just a small detail I forgot to mention : disbelief at the government and support for extending the leave came from as far as the head and former head of the most-known CEO and business owners union.
ὕβρις

team filler

• filler
  • filler