Author Topic: International Politics Thread - Disease and Disaster  (Read 1307332 times)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
Re: International Politics Thread - Disease and Disaster
« Reply #12721 on: October 14, 2022, 08:10:51 PM »
Dude should steer clear of any windows. Sounds like he's going to commit suicide by falling from a first storey window.
Spud

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

BrokenVerses

« Reply #12723 on: October 14, 2022, 09:14:58 PM »
How are you not posting the even more amazing rumor that Girkin is getting sent to the front lines lol??

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #12724 on: October 14, 2022, 10:47:37 PM »
Uncle

Occam

« Reply #12725 on: October 14, 2022, 11:59:51 PM »
Someone competent filled a letter last month asking the pentagon to start covering costs. That's an important nuanced discussion that can be handled in private

That's reasonable.

Musk is the one that posted "they asked for it" and made it about him

I think Musk may be suffering from a severe case of tiny penis syndrome.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12726 on: October 15, 2022, 04:25:40 AM »
He just circumvents procurement with a "Free trial"
https://twitter.com/karaswisher/status/1581104869410189312
🤴

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #12727 on: October 15, 2022, 04:41:04 AM »
AOC was right. Kill all billionaires.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #12728 on: October 15, 2022, 05:00:11 AM »
Without Starlink Kyiv might have fallen already, and yet Elon is the bad guy for asking the US military to chip in considering the war might still be going this time next year, or even further.

jorma

« Reply #12729 on: October 15, 2022, 06:04:35 AM »
Without Starlink Kyiv might have fallen already, and yet Elon is the bad guy for asking the US military to chip in considering the war might still be going this time next year, or even further.

no he is the bad guy for sperging on twitter, which is objectively much worse, at least according to everyone who are spending too much time sperging on twitter.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #12730 on: October 15, 2022, 06:27:20 AM »
You know, I was pretty uninvested in the whole Elon Musk thing. I'm not interested in his cars and he strikes me as a guy who is good at selling other people's ideas, but outside of his big battery in South Australia project, I didn't really pay much attention to him. The Twitter thing is a massive lol, but I can't say I've followed it outside of the drama.

However, this whole thing really turns my stomach and I'm officially on team Fuck Musk. What a piece of shit.

agreed, however as someone also trying not to be a weird techbro musk defender, I've been reading that the timeline has been fucked with in order to make it look like musk is being more retaliatory than in reality

this tweet says it comes "days after" the ambassador insulted him on october 3:

https://twitter.com/officejjsmart/status/1580782290849759232

but then you read this article:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/13/politics/elon-musk-spacex-starlink-ukraine/index.html

But those charitable contributions could be coming to an end, as SpaceX has warned the Pentagon that it may stop funding the service in Ukraine unless the US military kicks in tens of millions of dollars per month.

Documents obtained by CNN show that last month Musk’s SpaceX sent a letter to the Pentagon saying it can no longer continue to fund the Starlink service as it has. The letter also requested that the Pentagon take over funding for Ukraine’s government and military use of Starlink, which SpaceX claims would cost more than $120 million for the rest of the year and could cost close to $400 million for the next 12 months.

“We are not in a position to further donate terminals to Ukraine, or fund the existing terminals for an indefinite period of time,” SpaceX’s director of government sales wrote to the Pentagon in the September letter.

he announced his intention last month, september, not after being insulted

also, regarding the tweet at the bottom of last page, if ukrainians are paying for their own equipment and service, obviously that's entirely different from the units and service that had been donated

he's not threatening to cut off service from people who are paying for it, he's just not donating more

additionally, the ukrainian "diplomat" who told one of the country's wartime benefactors to fuck off is apparently a piece of shit himself:

https://web.archive.org/web/20221012135549/https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/09/world/europe/ukraine-german-ambassador-andriy-melnyk.html

Volodymyr Zelensky, the president of Ukraine, fired his ambassador to Germany, a week after the diplomat gave an interview in which he defended the legacy of a World War II nationalist leader who collaborated with the Nazis.

Andriy Melnyk, Ukraine’s ambassador to Germany since 2014, was one of the most recognized faces of the Ukrainian cause in Germany, never shying away from leveling fierce criticism of what many saw as Germany’s slow response to the Russian invasion and often provoking the ire of the country’s political elite.

But in an interview on the show Jung & Naiv, which streamed on YouTube on June 29, Mr. Melnyk defended the memory of Stepan Bandera, the leader of the far-right Organization of Ukrainian Nationalists during World War II. The nationalist group, which espoused fascist ideology, collaborated with German forces when they occupied Ukraine and some of those forces assisted in the mass murders of Poles and Jews.

I support ukraine but I also accept that there might be short-sighted assholes among them that cause more problems than they help
This is why I fucking hate Twatter and all those terminally online fuckers that use it. Burn it all to the ground.
Spud

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12731 on: October 15, 2022, 08:13:09 AM »
There's a lot of dimensions to this.

- Elon 'donated' Starlink services, he did not include the fine print about the service ending before the war would or others having to pick up the tab for the subscriptions
- SpaceX sets the price of the Starlink service but the average subscription fee that Ukraine pays per connection is much higher than a consumer would ($110 monthly), it is hard to tell if the delivered service is technically any different
- Because Elon quickly provided Starlink no efforts were made to look for alternative communication methods, the use of Starlink was simply scaled with additional government funding (i.e. Elon has a monopoly)
- Elon decides how far the Ukrainian army can advance because he's in control of their communications
- Starlink is not profitable, it's running heavily into the red

So basically Elon has set Ukraine up with Starlink as a free trial and now there's a ~$500 million subscription fee.
He can dictate the terms of the delivery of the service and the price.

And all this comes after Starlink lost a few bids for subsidies earlier this year. Including $900 million to provide broadband services in rural areas in the US.

It was a smart business move and he provided the Ukrainian Army with great communications (perhaps the best in the world) but the ethics and transparency are questionable.
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12733 on: October 15, 2022, 02:17:30 PM »
Elon pledges to keep providing Starlink for free.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1581345747777179651

How much free advertising for StarlinkTM was this entire episode?  :lol
🤴

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #12734 on: October 15, 2022, 02:30:36 PM »
Margs

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #12735 on: October 15, 2022, 02:37:10 PM »
Probably safe to assume @NutOnHerEyes is probably a troll account reproducing the famous meme and not a highly educated political scientist.
Spud

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12736 on: October 15, 2022, 04:54:02 PM »
The Russians accidentally mobilized 2 Jihadi's the results were predictable  :doge

https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1581364195500531712
🤴

who is ted danson?

« Reply #12737 on: October 16, 2022, 04:02:25 AM »
The Russians accidentally mobilized 2 Jihadi's the results were predictable  :doge

https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1581364195500531712

:ussrcry
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12739 on: October 16, 2022, 05:29:26 PM »
https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1581724134706655232

What's the point of mobilizing an army if you just let them freeze to death :doge

https://twitter.com/POLITlCSUK/status/1581664456178036736

Leadership contest!!!  :clap
« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 05:35:56 PM by Nintex »
🤴

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #12741 on: October 16, 2022, 06:21:32 PM »
Truss is done, it's just a matter of when they'll pull the plug.

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #12742 on: October 16, 2022, 11:29:05 PM »
Muslim murder spree, again, but this time at Russian base

Who are the baddies

https://mobile.twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1581692332688125952
:O

Occam

« Reply #12743 on: October 17, 2022, 12:23:57 AM »
If you insult the Flying Spaghetti Monster of the religion of peace they have to murder you, of course. Imaginary sky buddies can't defend themselves, after all.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 03:30:23 AM by Occam »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12744 on: October 17, 2022, 03:33:21 AM »
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #12745 on: October 17, 2022, 04:52:42 AM »
If you insult the Flying Spaghetti Monster of the religion of peace they have to murder you, of course. Imaginary sky buddies can't defend themselves, after all.
You mean those omnipotent sky fairies who have been recorded in their books of unimpeachable truth on multiple occasions smiting those who disobey them can't defend themselves?
 :pika
Spud

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #12746 on: October 17, 2022, 04:54:40 AM »
Kamikaze drone strikes on Kyiv

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1581894081927839744
Pretty sure I read an article today that Russia was suspected to be running out of missiles. This lines up.
Spud

Snoopycat_

« Reply #12747 on: October 17, 2022, 06:06:16 AM »
It's day 4 and the nation is hooked on the great Lizz vs lettuce battle

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #12748 on: October 17, 2022, 08:51:22 AM »
I've got a feeling this is all a psy op to clean up Boris's image a bit, nothing else makes sense.
(ice)

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #12749 on: October 17, 2022, 11:43:22 AM »
I've got a feeling this is all a psy op to clean up Boris's image a bit, nothing else makes sense.

She had the good luck of running against a non-white guy to become PM. If Rishi was white he would have easily won and this wouldn't be happening. Sure UK is fucked anyway due to Brexit, which has largely been an underlining issue for all of this financial unrest. But the tax cut and weird bond shit doesn't happen without Truss.

james

« Reply #12750 on: October 17, 2022, 12:40:56 PM »
China Abruptly Delays GDP Release During Communist Party Conference
Absence of official indicator adds to difficulties for global investors and companies seeking to gauge depth of China’s economic slowdown

https://www.wsj.com/articles/china-abruptly-delays-gdp-release-during-communist-party-conference-11666000383

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #12752 on: October 17, 2022, 01:33:15 PM »

She had the good luck of running against a non-white guy to become PM. If Rishi was white he would have easily won and this wouldn't be happening.

No, that's not how it works. He lost because he didn't back BoJo all the way down. He is more than enough establishment pipeline to have been PM.

Truss is an idiot but a loyal idiot. People underestimated how much of an idiot.

Tories are a bunch of fucking snakes, but the appearance of loyalty and 'doing their duty' plays a big part.
Look at how Hunt is playing it - literally pissing all over Truss's shambling corpse by systematically undoing every single thing she stood for, but will be openly praising what a great job and how important she is while shes bleeding out.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12753 on: October 17, 2022, 01:48:11 PM »
She handed over the country to the bankers.

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1582034162416259073

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1581977465383444480

No more tax cuts and price caps but tax hikes and a new round of austerity.

Oh and they removed the cap on banker bonuses. That's all they kept  :doge
🤴

james

« Reply #12754 on: October 17, 2022, 02:39:05 PM »
It seems like these right wing policies are lose-lose-lose for the common man

Curious

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12755 on: October 17, 2022, 03:14:26 PM »
This is more the establishment putting their foot down and using everything they have at their disposal (banks, media, politicians) to push their policies after they failed to replace Boris with Sunak.

Much like they did with Clinton, Obama, Johnson and a bunch of other leaders who wanted to reform the economy in various ways but were blocked from doing so. The same thing would happen if a Labour government came in to regulate the markets, increase benefits and nationalize industries. Truss and Kwarteng cracked under pressure where the likes of Reagan and Trump did not when they implemented their anti-austerity policies.

You now have Keith Starmer as Labour leader and Jeremy Hunt as 'acting PM'.
None will rock the boat, just the way the establishment likes it.

It's clear that they had this new plan on the shelves already because it's basically Sunak's.
Truss and Kwarteng must have expected the public to support growth over austerity as they did during the campaign.
🤴

Occam

« Reply #12756 on: October 17, 2022, 03:55:20 PM »
You mean those omnipotent sky fairies who have been recorded in their books of unimpeachable truth on multiple occasions smiting those who disobey them can't defend themselves?

Yes, it's quite the conundrum! Hahahah:)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #12757 on: October 17, 2022, 04:04:25 PM »
shot
https://twitter.com/EndGameWW3/status/1582040253518733313
Why does the Russian President have an advisor specifically to Al Jazeera?

Phoenix Dark

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #12759 on: October 18, 2022, 06:21:59 AM »
This is more the establishment putting their foot down and using everything they have at their disposal (banks, media, politicians) to push their policies after they failed to replace Boris with Sunak.

Much like they did with Clinton, Obama, Johnson and a bunch of other leaders who wanted to reform the economy in various ways but were blocked from doing so. The same thing would happen if a Labour government came in to regulate the markets, increase benefits and nationalize industries. Truss and Kwarteng cracked under pressure where the likes of Reagan and Trump did not when they implemented their anti-austerity policies.

You now have Keith Starmer as Labour leader and Jeremy Hunt as 'acting PM'.
None will rock the boat, just the way the establishment likes it.

It's clear that they had this new plan on the shelves already because it's basically Sunak's.
Truss and Kwarteng must have expected the public to support growth over austerity as they did during the campaign.

It wasnt the public it was around 100k tory members and probably 80% of them are loons :doge
(ice)

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #12761 on: October 18, 2022, 10:46:17 AM »

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1582327881224835072

:thinking
(ice)

who is ted danson?

« Reply #12762 on: October 18, 2022, 01:14:17 PM »
25% would still back truss

:ohhh
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #12763 on: October 18, 2022, 01:27:34 PM »
Apparently they're gonna not increase pensions, but which will put one of the final nails in their coffin for the next election, whenever that is.
(ice)

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #12764 on: October 18, 2022, 01:41:46 PM »
25% would still back truss

its the British pathology - sure, she might have fucked up so badly we were days away from fucking weimar republic levels currency crash, but she was very honourable about it

BrokenVerses

« Reply #12765 on: October 18, 2022, 01:46:57 PM »
Apparently they're gonna not increase pensions, but which will put one of the final nails in their coffin for the next election, whenever that is.

Do you mean no COLA increase? That would be insane.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #12766 on: October 18, 2022, 01:54:19 PM »
Apparently so, austerity 2.0 baby :money

I suspect it will be walked back/dropped pretty quickly because it's electorial suicide. As a guess schools will end up taking the brunt if it, cos kids don't vote and none of the Tory MPs or donors kids go to their local comp anyway. oh and some sly cuts the the NHS.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 02:00:41 PM by Pissy F Benny »
(ice)

james

« Reply #12767 on: October 18, 2022, 01:57:21 PM »
Watching the great right wing experiment collapse into the sun is amusing.

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #12768 on: October 18, 2022, 02:07:38 PM »

British Himus will still keep voting for these dumb dumbs anyways  :lol
Margs

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12769 on: October 18, 2022, 02:15:43 PM »
The politicians all seem to have accepted that everyone will face a decrease of wealth, income and freedom and their job is to simply 'manage' the transition process rather than solve the underlying issues (like corruption).
In return they promise society will be greener, more inclusive and equal and they subsidize corporations at the expense of small businesses to make this happen.

Those that want to walk a different path are brushed aside as radicals or simply blocked by banks and investors.

I don't think Starmer would have a radically different budget or disagree with the economists that austerity and recession is the solution to inflation.

https://twitter.com/francis_scarr/status/1582279794242486277

:doge

https://twitter.com/haynesdeborah/status/1582294921242738689

Talking about the n-word

spoiler (click to show/hide)
nuclear word :trumps
[close]
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 02:51:22 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Sman

« Reply #12770 on: October 18, 2022, 02:50:44 PM »

12 year of Tory rule, Brexit and Trussonomics, I'll admit that it's hard not to feel some schadenfreunde.

But I have to remind myself millions didn't vote for any of this and they are going to suffer regardless.

:(
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 02:58:33 PM by Sman »

james

« Reply #12771 on: October 18, 2022, 03:00:45 PM »
But I have to remind myself millions didn't vote for any of this and they are going to suffer regardless.

:(

Consider it reparations for the empire stuff

:miyamoto

Occam

« Reply #12772 on: October 18, 2022, 04:51:41 PM »
McCarthy signals GOP-led House likely to oppose more aid to Ukraine
(WaPo)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12773 on: October 18, 2022, 05:45:10 PM »
The idea that there should not be a negotiated peace with Russia is insanity.
That peace should include that all Russian forces leave Ukraine and its borders to be restored to what they were in 1991.

What is needed before winter is a ceasefire to avoid a catastrophe.
🤴

james

« Reply #12774 on: October 18, 2022, 05:49:47 PM »
The JAMES FUND peace plan, developed by some of the top minds in international relations (I have a minor in it)

1. Polonium in Putins coffee
2. Russia exits Ukraine
3. US, Russia, Ukraine, EU and Turkey sign the Sokovia Accords which guarantee permanent Ukraine borders

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12775 on: October 18, 2022, 06:33:38 PM »
It's hard to read Putin. He was basically an anonymous pawn put in place by the oligarchs to keep the status quo after Yeltsin, modeled after Tony Blair by campaigns, political operatives and spin doctors.
Then he turned against his former masters and he would do so many times over. Against the FSB, against the communists, against the mob, against the nationalists and against the liberals.

Now he keeps saying things like: "the military has requested me" or the "the military has instructed me" doing the things he told months before he would never do (again common with Putin)
Is he in control of the military? Is the military in control of him? Is anyone in control? A new general was put in charge to defend Kherson and he's signaling that Russia is about to GTFO.
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12776 on: October 19, 2022, 02:15:17 AM »
F22's of our American friends deployed in the Netherlands

https://twitter.com/MarelRoland/status/1581628087770284032
🤴

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #12777 on: October 19, 2022, 04:45:11 AM »
Russia is insanity.

Fixed that for you. The onus is on them to get the fuck out of a country that's not theirs. The bal has been in their park since the start.

Sman

« Reply #12778 on: October 19, 2022, 12:22:15 PM »
F22's of our American friends deployed in the Netherlands

https://twitter.com/MarelRoland/status/1581628087770284032

Finally those Dutch farmers will be dealt with.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #12779 on: October 19, 2022, 12:52:38 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63318157

Suella Braverman has resigned as home secretary after sending an official document to a parliamentary colleague using her personal email.

Ms Braverman acknowledged this was a "technical infringement" of rules.

She said people should accept responsibility for mistakes and added - in what will be seen as criticism of the PM - "pretending we haven't made mistakes... is not serious politics.

She also used her resignation letter to attack Liz Truss's policies.

Writing to Ms Truss, she said: "I have concerns about the direction of this government.

"Not only have we broken key pledges that were promised to our voters, but I have had serious concerns about this government's commitment to honouring manifesto commitments, such as reducing overall migration numbers and stopping illegal migration, particularly the dangerous small boats crossings."

:lol

Replaced by Shapps, who was a major Sunak backer and got sacked from his role as transport minister by Truss when she took over No10 :lol