Author Topic: What book(s) are you reading?  (Read 684265 times)

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
Re: What book(s) are you reading?
« Reply #840 on: November 23, 2010, 01:18:10 AM »
Reading cloud atlus.  The short stories are good in themselves but the meta narrative adds another layer of intrigue.  Also this guy read his nietzche carefully. 

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #841 on: November 23, 2010, 01:21:30 AM »
FM after I finish Use of Weapons, which one should I go for next? Player of Games? The description on amazon sounds cool

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #842 on: November 23, 2010, 01:28:33 AM »
FM after I finish Use of Weapons, which one should I go for next? Player of Games? The description on amazon sounds cool

That's what I did.  Don't think it really matters though.

Matter will be my next one (as I can't seem to buy the others from amazon.ca :( )

lordmaji

• It's a joke, not a dick, so don't take it so hard!
« Reply #843 on: November 23, 2010, 10:14:09 AM »
I need some good book recommendations. I've been having a hard time getting into books lately... I need a book that'll suck me in quickly and keep me going.

Any suggestions?

what type of books are you into bro

I'll read almost anything as long as it's good & interesting. Nothing dull or bland. Something with a fast pace and gives ya something to think about.
:-[

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #844 on: November 24, 2010, 12:13:00 PM »
Finished Galactic Pot-Healer today, the next book I start will probably be Dan Simmons' Hyperion.
dog

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #845 on: November 24, 2010, 01:09:21 PM »
Finished the Guide. Gonna start Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, then The Sirens of Titan.
SRY

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #846 on: November 24, 2010, 01:11:45 PM »
Surface detail had a lot about how the Culture fits in with other galactic civilizations and expanded the different government agencies within the Culture.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #847 on: November 24, 2010, 03:57:10 PM »
Yes.  Player of Games is the closest to explaining what the Culture actually is, and it's probably his most complete novel.  Matter is really cool for the Big Science stuff, and Excession explains the minds the best.

Awesome. While I like how the world building is done slowly, at times I want a bigger reveal of what the Culture is, how it's run etc.

One thing I'm slightly confused about: Sma is humanoid and not the race of the Culture right? In the description of her childhood I thought it mentioned she was some type of human messiah. She's apparently taller than the average human correct?

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #848 on: November 24, 2010, 05:26:22 PM »
Been reading "The Name of the Wind". Pretty good so far considering its a book long origins to the main character.
:9

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #849 on: November 24, 2010, 06:00:56 PM »
I'd like to read The Man in the High Castle one of these days, but I've got a pretty big book backlog and I'm not ready to read another Philip K. Dick book anytime soon.
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #850 on: November 24, 2010, 06:32:53 PM »
Nice collection, Kosma!

I'm reading Deadhouse Gates (stalled), and Altered Carbon (definitely not stalled, it is great!), I've got Already Dead (Charllie Huston's first book in that series) on my shelf waiting for me, and Man in the High Castle is one of my favorite PKD books. That's a really arresting cover on that edition.

Admit it, though! You picked up Architecture of Happiness because you thought the author was "Alain de Bottom!"

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #851 on: December 06, 2010, 08:14:14 PM »
Went and bought The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #852 on: December 06, 2010, 10:52:02 PM »

Acme Novelty #20, by Chris Ware (aka 'Lint').

This is just phenomenal, book of the year. Dazzling technical pyrotechnical cartooning on par with anything in Asterios Polyp. I found it quite harrowing.

One of my favorite pages, of young Lint's first memories:

« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 11:03:41 PM by Cormacaroni »
vjj

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #853 on: December 06, 2010, 11:27:24 PM »

Best books ever. (At least the first three.)
©@©™

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #854 on: December 07, 2010, 12:09:12 AM »

:bow
SRY

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #855 on: December 08, 2010, 06:53:23 PM »
And we're starting The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #856 on: December 10, 2010, 12:05:16 PM »

Best books ever. (At least the first three.)

Yeah, I stopped somewhere in the fourth.
AMC

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #857 on: December 10, 2010, 05:35:07 PM »
Read the first three books, then listen to all five radio show series.
dog

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #858 on: December 10, 2010, 08:58:00 PM »
if you can find the books on tape read by douglas adams, those are absolutely amazing
Tonya

Darunia

« Reply #859 on: December 13, 2010, 07:48:42 AM »
I'm reading Pat Rothfuss' The Name of the Wind as well. I'm about halfway and I love Rothfuss' writing. When Kvothe enters the university it's one great chapter after another. Just had this bit where
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Elodin told him to jump off a roof and after which he was rejected for being a reckless fool  :lol
[close]
His clashes with the masters are gold.

I also appreciate the intermissions. Rothfuss seems to be in love with the start/continuation of telling a story and he recreates that tension again and again. Awesome book.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #860 on: December 13, 2010, 09:25:18 PM »
yeah, it's great. it's almost time for me to re-read, with the sequel out in 2-3 months (I think it's next March, but it has been pushed back many times).
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #861 on: December 28, 2010, 01:23:15 PM »
so i know this thread hasn't been active in a bit, but can anyone recommend a book to buy a 24 yr old female?  she likes most contemporary things but i do know she didn't care for the girl with the dragon tattoo.  she thought twilight was terrible and she liked the harry potter books.

Edit: she's pretty open minded and likes sci fi/fantasy and some romantic things.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 01:25:03 PM by Mupepe »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #862 on: December 28, 2010, 01:27:18 PM »
game of thrones. I've suggested it to two women already, and they both liked it

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #863 on: December 28, 2010, 01:32:30 PM »
thanks, buddy. 

for reference on her fb page she has "Ender's Game, Wicked:The lift and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West, Wizard of Oz, Love is a Mix Tape, and Of Mice and Men. 

She works in theatre if that helps.

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #864 on: December 28, 2010, 02:11:55 PM »
Classics like Fahrenheit 451 and 1984 are always good for a quick read if she hasn't already.  She could check out the other Gregory Maguire books like Son of a Witch. 
WTF

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #865 on: December 29, 2010, 12:47:06 AM »
The Bore needs to collectively get on Lee Child's Jack Reacher books. They are basically Die Hard/24 on paper. I don't think you can get much more manly than a Jack Reacher novel. Seriously, this motherfucker makes Jack Bauer look like Bertie Wooster. Do yourself a favor and read at least the first one.
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #866 on: December 29, 2010, 10:09:53 AM »
The Bore needs to collectively get on Lee Child's Jack Reacher books. They are basically Die Hard/24 on paper. I don't think you can get much more manly than a Jack Reacher novel. Seriously, this motherfucker makes Jack Bauer look like Bertie Wooster. Do yourself a favor and read at least the first one.

I might do that.  I've been stuck for the past 2 months on the fourth Dexter novel.  I'm sure it's a good story, but I just can't draw myself into it.  It might be a book that I force myself to read until I find the plot interesting.  I have also seen some recommendations for Game of Thrones.  What about the Dark Tower series?  Were they worth the read or is it more Stephen King rambling like Dreamcatcher?
WTF

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #867 on: December 29, 2010, 11:49:39 AM »
Classics like Fahrenheit 451 and 1984 are always good for a quick read if she hasn't already.  She could check out the other Gregory Maguire books like Son of a Witch. 
i went ahead and got game of thrones.  we'll see.  i'm pretty sure she's already read both of those.  thanks though

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #868 on: December 29, 2010, 06:01:57 PM »

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly is a translation of the French memoir Le scaphandre et le papillon by journalist Jean-Dominique Bauby. It describes what his life is like after suffering a massive stroke that left him with a condition called locked-in syndrome. It also details what his life was like before the stroke.

On December 8, 1995, Bauby, the editor-in-chief of Elle magazine, suffered a stroke and lapsed into a coma. He awoke 20 days later, mentally aware of his surroundings but physically paralyzed with the exception of some movement in his head and eyes (one of which had to be sewn up due to an irrigation problem). The entire book was written by Bauby blinking his left eyelid, which took ten months (four hours a day). Using partner assisted scanning, a transcriber repeatedly recited a French language frequency-ordered alphabet (E, S, A, R, I, N, T, U, L, etc.), until Bauby blinked to choose the next letter. The book took about 200,000 blinks to write and an average word took approximately two minutes. The book also chronicles everyday events for a person with locked-in syndrome. These events include playing at the beach with his family, getting a bath, and meeting visitors.

The French edition of the book was published on March 6, 1997. It received excellent reviews, sold the first 25,000 copies on the day of publication, reaching 150,000 in a week. It went on to become a number one bestseller across Europe. Its total sales are now in the millions. Bauby died two days after the book was published, on March 9, 1997, of pneumonia.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 06:06:01 PM by Mamacint »
___

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #869 on: December 29, 2010, 07:44:10 PM »
It was myself (and Cohen) who recommended Altered Carbon, Kosma. Glad you enjoyed it.

I've only read 2 of the Reacher books so far. The 1st was 1st person, the 2nd wasn't. I assumed he had learned his lesson and was going with traditional 2nd person from there on, but it sounds like he didn't. Oh dear.
vjj

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #870 on: December 29, 2010, 07:59:28 PM »
hmmm Jack Bauer/Die Hard? Might have to check it out

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #871 on: December 31, 2010, 05:10:56 PM »
I've had that sitting on my shelf for a long time, but never got around to reading it. Post some more detailed impressions, if you don't mind.
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #872 on: December 31, 2010, 05:14:50 PM »
 :'(
dog

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #873 on: December 31, 2010, 05:25:10 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly is a translation of the French memoir Le scaphandre et le papillon by journalist Jean-Dominique Bauby. It describes what his life is like after suffering a massive stroke that left him with a condition called locked-in syndrome. It also details what his life was like before the stroke.

On December 8, 1995, Bauby, the editor-in-chief of Elle magazine, suffered a stroke and lapsed into a coma. He awoke 20 days later, mentally aware of his surroundings but physically paralyzed with the exception of some movement in his head and eyes (one of which had to be sewn up due to an irrigation problem). The entire book was written by Bauby blinking his left eyelid, which took ten months (four hours a day). Using partner assisted scanning, a transcriber repeatedly recited a French language frequency-ordered alphabet (E, S, A, R, I, N, T, U, L, etc.), until Bauby blinked to choose the next letter. The book took about 200,000 blinks to write and an average word took approximately two minutes. The book also chronicles everyday events for a person with locked-in syndrome. These events include playing at the beach with his family, getting a bath, and meeting visitors.

The French edition of the book was published on March 6, 1997. It received excellent reviews, sold the first 25,000 copies on the day of publication, reaching 150,000 in a week. It went on to become a number one bestseller across Europe. Its total sales are now in the millions. Bauby died two days after the book was published, on March 9, 1997, of pneumonia.

Haven't read the book, but it was a good movie.
©@©™

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #874 on: December 31, 2010, 10:54:05 PM »
jeez, there's probably an iphone app that does that now, would be so easy to throw together.
vjj

« Reply #875 on: December 31, 2010, 11:03:57 PM »
Those Jack Reacher novels are amazing.

I stopped reading them right before Persuader, because I was eating them up too fast and overdosed, but I plan on re-starting the series soon.

« Reply #876 on: January 01, 2011, 02:43:41 AM »

I've also wanted to take the opportunity to recommend the FLASHMAN books.

In a nutshell, the series detail the hilarious plights of a cowardly, self-serving Victorian-era antihero - Harry Flashman - who finds himself thrust into one adventure after another, from early 19th century Afghanistan to pre-Industrial era America. For the history buffs, the stories also include actual historical characters like Queen Victoria and Lord Auckland.

I have to warn some of our more sensitive readers, however, that these books are not politically correct. Some of the characters, particularly Flashman, are sexist, racist, and devoid of any moral restraint.

If you can overlook these, you're in for a treat.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #877 on: January 01, 2011, 05:55:19 AM »
Isn't that the character on which Blackadder's Lord Flashheart is based?

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #878 on: January 01, 2011, 11:12:22 AM »
I've heard that theory and there's some overlap, but Flashheart is more of an amped-up version of some archaic ideals of masculinity, while Flashman (liar, cheat, and above all coward) is an outright subversion of them.

I'd recommend the early books more than the late ones.  Fraser definitely softens Flashman's edges later on, and it's a more interesting read when you're not being pushed to root for him outright.  Plus they're easily formulaic enough that you'll want to limit your intake anyways.

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #879 on: January 01, 2011, 01:24:41 PM »
The Ark Sakura, by Kobo Abe
QED

recursivelyenumerable

« Reply #880 on: January 01, 2011, 04:06:00 PM »
It's actually my first Abe book. I like it so far, and if what you say is true his oeuvre will only be up from here!
QED

recursivelyenumerable

« Reply #881 on: January 02, 2011, 08:04:14 PM »
I have those on order  :cookiem
about a third of the way through the book now, it's getting funnier and stranger with each chapter.
QED

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #882 on: January 25, 2011, 10:31:41 AM »
Came back from the library with this...

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #883 on: January 25, 2011, 11:32:46 AM »
I think I've seen that one!

[close]
But seriously, let us know how it turns out.
[close]
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 11:34:54 AM by andrwfields »
WTF

« Reply #884 on: January 26, 2011, 01:15:05 AM »
I'm still finishing The God Delusion, but I plan on picking up True Grit once I'm done. Being a fan of non-Duke westerns, I was impressed by the Coen Brothers' remake and now I want to delve deeper into the story behind it. Would be the second time a Coen Brothers movie has compelled me to pick up its literary counterpart/source, with the first one being No Country for Old Men.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #885 on: January 26, 2011, 08:59:02 AM »
Just finishing Altered Carbon. Wow, it's been a great ride. Thanks, Cormacaroni!

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #886 on: February 02, 2011, 10:44:45 PM »
Finished Under the Dome

Enjoyable as far as Stephen King's writing can be but man I really don't want to read about the personal interrelationships (as detailed as it was in Under the Dome) of small town people ever again. He seemed to want the reader to experience a personal connection with the denizens of a North Eastern town and man did some of those pages drag, badly. The book could have seriously been edited down to a few character point of views and been much better.

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #887 on: February 04, 2011, 05:37:46 PM »
CBG

Dickie Dee

« Reply #888 on: February 04, 2011, 05:45:17 PM »
Just finishing Altered Carbon. Wow, it's been a great ride. Thanks, Cormacaroni!

Is it just one book? I peaked at the wiki and the setting sounded good but didn't read too far
___

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #889 on: February 04, 2011, 10:11:43 PM »

Is it just one book? I peaked at the wiki and the setting sounded good but didn't read too far

Each book is its own deal, much like the Philip Marlowe novels it loosely emulates.
vjj

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #890 on: February 07, 2011, 07:55:55 AM »
thanks to wonkette, the news of this book's re-release didn't pass me by

http://www.theclotheshavenoemperor.com/

essentially, fuck Reagan.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 07:58:45 AM by Eric P »
Tonya

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #891 on: February 07, 2011, 08:08:33 AM »

Cormacaroni's the one who turned me on to it, so I'll defer to his assessment. However, I'll add that I'd expected most of his stuff to read identically to the noir feeling of Altered Carbon, and was feeling a little foolish for jumping directly into Thirteen/Black Man. Wow, there are some really similar thematic strings and even some similar tech, but I'm definitely feeling Thirteen is a more solid, complete novel than A.C. I don't know what it is, but it's working for me.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #892 on: February 07, 2011, 10:33:57 AM »

RMan recommended it, so I picked it up on Kindle. I've always found his blog posts interesting and entertaining, but I've disagreed with as much of the content as I've agreed with. He's definitely got all kinds of crazy hands-on experience with all manner of body modification stuff so worth a look even if you've never considered applying anything here. You can of course find most of this info on the web for free but it's handy to have it all in one place. Sadly it reads much more like a series of short blog posts rather than an actual book, for the most part. But that's part of his strategy I guess - bite-sized pieces of info you can apply without pages and pages of theory and rationale.
vjj

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #893 on: February 07, 2011, 04:18:51 PM »
Also, I'm thoroughly convinced Hank Moody is based off of Ellis.
huh. i've been under the impression he's based off bukowski ( :-X)

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #894 on: February 12, 2011, 03:50:38 PM »

Just finished this on audiobook based on Prole's reco. Great trashy fun, turn off your brain before entering.

Read this per Cormacaroni's recommendation. Hard-as-nails sci-fi, absolutely loved the ending too.

Working on this. This is from Joe Landsdale (writer of Bubba Ho-tep) -- more backwoods Texan ass-kickery featuring righteous sonsofbitches Hap and Leonard. In chapter 2 Hap throws an attack dog through a window. :punch

lordmaji

• It's a joke, not a dick, so don't take it so hard!
« Reply #895 on: February 12, 2011, 09:15:36 PM »
Mind Programming: Persuasion, Brainwashing, and Practical metaphysics.

Looks rather interesting, covers corporate brainwashing and persuasion, same w/ individual manipulation. How to recognize it, and use it to your advantage, etc.

Seems pretty interesting.
:-[

Dickie Dee

« Reply #896 on: February 12, 2011, 09:36:01 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Read this per Cormacaroni's recommendation. Hard-as-nails sci-fi, absolutely loved the ending too.

Just picked this up - hiss, boo if it sucks

(it looks really good)
___

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #897 on: February 12, 2011, 11:04:17 PM »
I've had that one my "to purchase and read" list for a while. It won one of the big scifi/fantasy awards a year or two ago.
dog

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #898 on: February 13, 2011, 07:47:43 AM »
Trying out the Kindle book-lending service. Post in here if you got something from me  8)
vjj

Beezy

« Reply #899 on: February 13, 2011, 09:18:14 AM »
I got a Kindle almost 2 weeks ago but I have no idea of what to buy. Haven't been a reader for years now. So far I only have this:

I saw someone talking about it here about a month ago. I like it so far.