Author Topic: What book(s) are you reading?  (Read 684210 times)

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
Re: What book(s) are you reading?
« Reply #1620 on: July 11, 2012, 04:08:42 PM »
I will be chased by 40k fans, branded a HERETIC

Truth be told i totally just finished a 3 book Warhammer 40 series that is AMAZING and the fact you probably havent read it yet makes ME angry
o_0

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #1621 on: July 11, 2012, 04:10:51 PM »
to be fair, Grapes of Wrath is totally like this time a group of Imperial Guard got detached from their main formation during a planetary reclamation and the orks knocked over their temporary base and they had to go run to Caleephonya  to try to get their orders, but all they found were a bunch of people in the same boat, because someone had sold them out to the forces of chaos.  It was really sad.
Tonya

MrAngryFace

« Reply #1622 on: July 11, 2012, 04:47:20 PM »
to be fair, Grapes of Wrath is totally like this time a group of Imperial Guard got detached from their main formation during a planetary reclamation and the orks knocked over their temporary base and they had to go run to Caleephonya  to try to get their orders, but all they found were a bunch of people in the same boat, because someone had sold them out to the forces of chaos.  It was really sad.

:lol
o_0

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #1623 on: July 11, 2012, 04:52:08 PM »

Its pretty good yeah.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #1624 on: July 11, 2012, 05:15:17 PM »

Reminds me of when a friend described Huckleberry Finn as The Sandlot without baseball

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #1625 on: July 11, 2012, 06:28:28 PM »
:{]

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1626 on: July 11, 2012, 07:45:15 PM »
it is very much Harry Potter for hipsters

I really loved The Magicians, but then the way I chose to read and interpret it was perhaps more self-aware than it was intended. I dunno.

The author is on record about explicitly wanting to make a fantasy where all the participants knew all the fantasy tropes, and that's exactly how I read it. I'm on The Magician Kings now.

Have you read his brother's book about Image-type superheroes? I enjoyed it a lot but it's a very similar deal, weirdly. The two of them must have been pains in the asses to deal with as kids, picking every bedtime story to death.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1627 on: July 11, 2012, 07:46:34 PM »
and yes, Kvothe is the Mary-Sue from Hell. OTOH, he fucks up massively and often. And he has terrible luck.
vjj

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #1628 on: July 11, 2012, 08:24:52 PM »
I read it of a piece with Among Others, so it really seemed to me like a book about our relationship with Fantasy, why we read Fantasy, and how that relationship changes as we grow older (and how that's not necessarily a bad thing). I dunno, FFVIII's my favorite Final Fantasy! I like insufferable prick protagonists as long as it's in service of an interesting story. Magicians reminded me of a Bret Easton Ellis novel.

and yes, Kvothe is the Mary-Sue from Hell. OTOH, he fucks up massively and often. And he has terrible luck.

He does, but even those setbacks are always in service of the Greater Good of showing how awesome Kvothe is. Minor thematic spoilers:

spoiler (click to show/hide)
The tone is SO different in the frame story, and there's SUCH an emphasis throughout on storytelling, song, and narrative technique, that I'm mightily convinced very little of the back story went down the way Kvothe claims - that he's embellishing and improving his role because he's embarrassed by what actually happened. I could be totally wrong, but I'm still expecting a huge "yeah, I made it all up basically" headfake in book 3.
[close]
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 08:27:16 PM by Howard Alan Treesong »
乱学者

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1629 on: July 11, 2012, 08:40:22 PM »

Kinda wanted to read some Stephen King but didn't feel like reading something 8000 pages long, so I picked this up.
©@©™

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1630 on: July 12, 2012, 01:18:37 AM »
I read it of a piece with Among Others, so it really seemed to me like a book about our relationship with Fantasy, why we read Fantasy, and how that relationship changes as we grow older (and how that's not necessarily a bad thing). I dunno, FFVIII's my favorite Final Fantasy! I like insufferable prick protagonists as long as it's in service of an interesting story. Magicians reminded me of a Bret Easton Ellis novel.

He does, but even those setbacks are always in service of the Greater Good of showing how awesome Kvothe is. Minor thematic spoilers:

The tone is SO different in the frame story, and there's SUCH an emphasis throughout on storytelling, song, and narrative technique, that I'm mightily convinced very little of the back story went down the way Kvothe claims - that he's embellishing and improving his role because he's embarrassed by what actually happened. I could be totally wrong, but I'm still expecting a huge "yeah, I made it all up basically" headfake in book 3.
[close]

Pretty sure it's going to be Kvothe shaking off all his tragedies and remembering how awesome he is actually.
vjj

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #1631 on: July 13, 2012, 04:54:28 PM »
There's basically no way he can make it a trilogy proper. The end of the third book, it'll basically have some sort of cliff-hanger.

I also now know why GRRM has been taking ages to actually finish ASOIAF/HBO's Game of Thrones:

It's pretty obvious that it's leading up to a huge awesome battle between dragons and the ice vampires, but GRRM has no proper game plan. He can't describe big action scenes for shit, so he's going to bide his time, and sip inspiration from HBO. The HBO series is also several MASSIVE levels above the entertainment his books put out. But maybe that's just HBO being AWESOME.
:{]

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1632 on: July 13, 2012, 05:31:49 PM »
just wrapped Caliban's War, the second book in The Expanse and I enjoyed it even though I know it's absolute pew pew garbage.

to make up for this sin of reading for enjoyment, I shall be reading Alif The Unseen next.

In an unnamed Middle Eastern security state, a young Arab-Indian hacker shields his clients ? dissidents, outlaws, Islamists, and other watched groups ? from surveillance and tries to stay out of trouble. He goes by Alif ? the first letter of the Arabic alphabet, and a convenient handle to hide behind. The aristocratic woman Alif loves has jilted him for a prince chosen by her parents, and his computer has just been breached by the state's electronic security force, putting his clients and his own neck on the line. Then it turns out his lover's new fianc? is the ?Hand of God, ? as they call the head of state security, and his henchmen come after Alif, driving him underground. When Alif discovers The Thousand and One Days, the secret book of the jinn, which both he and the Hand suspect may unleash a new level of information technology, the stakes are raised and Alif must struggle for life or death, aided by forces seen and unseen.

it promises to be orientalism of the highest calibre!
Tonya

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #1633 on: July 13, 2012, 05:53:40 PM »

:lol

I think Grapes of Wrath just might be my favorite book ever.

Too bad The Wise Man's Fear meandered so much, I loved the first book. One more book doesn't seem to be enough considering the story hasn't advanced too far yet, though I don't know if the story will continue after his story is up to date. Loved how magic worked in the books.
___

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #1634 on: July 13, 2012, 06:48:31 PM »
There's basically no way he can make it a trilogy proper. The end of the third book, it'll basically have some sort of cliff-hanger.

I also now know why GRRM has been taking ages to actually finish ASOIAF/HBO's Game of Thrones:

It's pretty obvious that it's leading up to a huge awesome battle between dragons and the ice vampires, but GRRM has no proper game plan. He can't describe big action scenes for shit, so he's going to bide his time, and sip inspiration from HBO. The HBO series is also several MASSIVE levels above the entertainment his books put out. But maybe that's just HBO being AWESOME.

His entire style is based on limited perspective of views. Every battle in the series, even the biggest ones like Blackwater, are only seen though that lens. When Tyrion has his little skirmish in GoT, all he sees is his flanking party and a group of enemies charging down a hill. When Blackwater occurs all you see is what Tyrion and Davos see, etc. He doesn't have a problem with scope, his series merely limits it.

I'd imagine someone riding on a dragon over the Trident won't be a limited view, so I see no point in worrying about that shit. The real problem is more obvious:
getting Dany to Westeros in the first place. ADWD solved much of the knot, but now she's dicking around with more Dothraki while her city is about to get shit canned.
[close]

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1635 on: July 14, 2012, 07:57:18 AM »
just wrapped Caliban's War, the second book in The Expanse and I enjoyed it even though I know it's absolute pew pew garbage.

to make up for this sin of reading for enjoyment, I shall be reading Alif The Unseen next.

In an unnamed Middle Eastern security state, a young Arab-Indian hacker shields his clients ? dissidents, outlaws, Islamists, and other watched groups ? from surveillance and tries to stay out of trouble. He goes by Alif ? the first letter of the Arabic alphabet, and a convenient handle to hide behind. The aristocratic woman Alif loves has jilted him for a prince chosen by her parents, and his computer has just been breached by the state's electronic security force, putting his clients and his own neck on the line. Then it turns out his lover's new fianc? is the ?Hand of God, ? as they call the head of state security, and his henchmen come after Alif, driving him underground. When Alif discovers The Thousand and One Days, the secret book of the jinn, which both he and the Hand suspect may unleash a new level of information technology, the stakes are raised and Alif must struggle for life or death, aided by forces seen and unseen.

it promises to be orientalism of the highest calibre!

I've liked some of her comics, let us know what you think!
vjj

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1636 on: July 14, 2012, 08:54:44 AM »
Yeah, that's why I'm reading it.  Love what i read of AIR and loved Cairo
Tonya

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #1637 on: July 14, 2012, 12:01:02 PM »
AIR went from like an A+ first volume and a B+ second volume to a C- conclusion. Really disappointing. Uh, but I hope you enjoy Alif!
乱学者

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1638 on: July 14, 2012, 09:47:24 PM »
I passed on AIR due to all the reviews saying it didn't end well. I liked Mystic a lot, though it was disappointing that they only got to do the one mini.
vjj

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1639 on: July 15, 2012, 08:58:42 AM »
so don't finish Air?  Got it!
Tonya

MrAngryFace

« Reply #1640 on: July 15, 2012, 06:13:46 PM »
Finished Cup of Gold- wow @ that last third; so great. I'm pondering going through the Riftwar Saga again- its an old favorite- it and Serpent War = Feist in his prime.
o_0

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #1641 on: July 15, 2012, 06:24:11 PM »
I'm about halfway through The Brothers Karamazov. It's pretty good, albeit extremely long-winded at times.

It's too bad I didn't read this back in college. I think I would have gotten a lot out of it back then, and I'm realizing that in many ways I'm basically the 21st century American version of Ivan Karamazov.

Russian literature long-winded? NO WAY
AMC

MrAngryFace

« Reply #1642 on: July 15, 2012, 06:25:36 PM »
They dont seem as long if you're DRUNK ON VODKA
o_0

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #1643 on: July 15, 2012, 06:59:22 PM »
Reading an oldie but a goodie:

🍆🍆

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1644 on: July 15, 2012, 07:28:55 PM »
Anyone on the Bore read this yet? I was thinking about picking it up.

©@©™

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #1645 on: July 16, 2012, 11:30:39 PM »

I've been wanting to get into history of the deep south and appalachia past the civil war.
🍆🍆

MrAngryFace

« Reply #1646 on: July 16, 2012, 11:36:32 PM »
WELL IM GLAD YOU ARE ALL SMARTEY MEN BOOKS BUT IM GONNA SLUM IT WIT SOME FEIST RE-READZ YO

o_0

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1647 on: July 17, 2012, 04:08:26 AM »
i'm about 1/3rd of the way through Alif the Unseen and I'm enjoying it.  It's a modern day urban fantasy set in a world where Islam has conquered half the planet (mentioned only in passing).  Alif is a computer hacker who keeps dissidents safe from the prying eyes of state security until he gets burned.  He turns to a man who is considered a bit of a mystery for help, the man who is not a man, but rather a djinn. 

It's really well done and goes quickly as through it were YA but I don't believe it's marketed as such (the word "fuck" comes up a lot)

But I just got notification from Amazon that the new book by KJ Parker is out.  I didn't love The Hammer, feeling it was a pale imitation of previous works, but this new book, Sharps, is supposed to be a return to form along the lines of the EXCELLENT The Folding Knife.
Tonya

etiolate

« Reply #1648 on: July 17, 2012, 04:20:38 AM »

This is an alternate history of imperial Russia with a hint of steam punk.

I really wanted to like this book. I really wanted to get into it, but the narrator and main character are just not impressive. I honestly can't stand the main character most of the time. She's a bit Mary Sue, always being on the moral right of things and everything working out for her. It's boring.

I'm a huge Frank Herbert fan, but it's been many years since I last read one of his novels. My taste has changed a bit, and his style makes me smirk a bit now, but I still enjoy it. So far, the book is cold war era sci-fi and full of Herbert's love for fantastical technology that exists on a human level. As in, sonar tech for the blind and thought probing blood monitors.

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #1649 on: July 17, 2012, 07:36:04 AM »
WELL IM GLAD YOU ARE ALL SMARTEY MEN BOOKS BUT IM GONNA SLUM IT WIT SOME FEIST RE-READZ YO

(Image removed from quote.)

Loved this in my teens :bow2

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1650 on: July 18, 2012, 09:17:08 AM »
I'm 250 pages into Alif and I was enjoying the hell out of it until the author introduced a blond-hair, blue eyed convert who rails against discrimination that she's faced since converting.

this is our author

Tonya

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #1651 on: July 18, 2012, 09:52:50 AM »

[close]

Pretty sure it's going to be Kvothe shaking off all his tragedies and remembering how awesome he is actually.

And rising to the challenge and kicking some ass.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1652 on: July 19, 2012, 02:28:13 AM »
I'm 250 pages into Alif and I was enjoying the hell out of it until the author introduced a blond-hair, blue eyed convert who rails against discrimination that she's faced since converting.

this is our author

FICTION HIJAB ALERT
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1653 on: July 19, 2012, 02:29:19 AM »
You follow her on twitter? She's very nice, doesn't beat that drum much at all actually. Talks more about WoW than you'd expect
vjj

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1654 on: July 19, 2012, 02:36:45 AM »

Loved this in my teens :bow2

Same.
dog

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1655 on: July 19, 2012, 06:11:51 AM »
You follow her on twitter? She's very nice, doesn't beat that drum much at all actually. Talks more about WoW than you'd expect

aside from that one misstep the book is really damn enjoyable

good characters, good interactions, neat integration of fantasy and "reality"

i'm almost done with it and am quite smitten with everything up to this point.

about 60 pages from the end so it could all go to hell, but have enjoyed my time with it thus far
Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1656 on: July 19, 2012, 06:47:20 AM »
i know what i'm reading next!

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/news/oh-mr-darcy-pride-and-prejudice-among-classic-novels-to-receive-erotic-makeover-7946364.html

In Wuthering Heights, heroine Catherine Earnshaw "enjoys bondage sessions" with Heathcliff while sleuth Sherlock Holmes has a sexual relationship with his sidekick Dr Watson in the new e-book.
Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1657 on: July 20, 2012, 09:45:45 AM »
Currently reading KJ Parker's Sharps.

So far it's better than The Hammer.
Tonya

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1658 on: July 21, 2012, 02:18:03 AM »
Infinite Jest.

Just starting it, really. I had no idea I'd be LOL'ing at this book. Christ, the culmination of the guy waiting for the marijuana delivery. :lol

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #1659 on: July 21, 2012, 02:26:47 AM »
David Foster Wallace, when he wants to be, is probably the funniest modern American writer. His non-fiction essays are to-die-for.

was :'(
[close]
乱学者

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1660 on: July 21, 2012, 12:32:51 PM »
David Foster Wallace, when he wants to be, is probably the funniest modern American writer. His non-fiction essays are to-die-for.

was :'(
[close]
Yeah, I was very surprised. I assumed it would insightful, but dour. Instead, I get this excellent POV of being inside the head of an addict, ending with something that felt like a scene from a Buster Keaton movie. The suspense in the opening scene was also well handled, and the payoff there as well.

And I'm coming directly off from a really mediocre-to-poor reading of L.A. Outlaws, by T. Jefferson Parker. The author's stuff is better-than-average airport bookstore material, but the ham-handed drama of the reading was really disappointing. Constantly, I had to mentally tone down the performances to get a read on the way I usually absorb Parker's dialog.

The gent doing the reading of Infinite Jest is nicely nuanced, reasonable subtle, and respectful of the material. Even so, I am apparently missing out on the footnotes, which I'll have to peep in a physical edition at some point.

What's the deal with "telephone console" and "entertainment cartridges," and "Year of the Depends Adult Disposable Diaper"? Is this an alternate reality? If so, what's the point?

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #1661 on: July 21, 2012, 01:40:51 PM »
It's the near future. The US has switched overto Subsidized Time. You won't understand the order of the years until about 1/3 through. No footnotes is sad, footnotes are how DFW writes. A lot of hints, backstory, and even story are in those. Just get to them eventually. :)
乱学者

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1662 on: July 21, 2012, 01:45:46 PM »
Ah, good to know, thanks!

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #1663 on: July 22, 2012, 12:43:27 AM »
I just finished Broom of the System, which kinda wasn't that good, but there were bits that were fantastic that make me look forward to reading Infinite Jest at some point. It'll take a lot to top his non-fiction for me, though. Treesong is right.
AMC

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #1664 on: July 27, 2012, 03:33:06 PM »
It's been a couple of weeks since I read anything.  I finished up ADWD and then burned through the Hunger Games trilogy and I just haven't found anything that I've been interested in reading lately.

Suggestions?
WTF

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1665 on: July 27, 2012, 03:42:31 PM »
You're missing about 1/4th of the book if you don't have the footnotes for Infinite Jest. I think there was one footnote that was like 20 pages long.
©@©™

MrAngryFace

« Reply #1666 on: July 27, 2012, 05:25:28 PM »
o_0

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #1667 on: July 27, 2012, 05:54:52 PM »

eon by greg bear

its p good so far

萌え~

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #1668 on: July 27, 2012, 07:20:46 PM »

Robo

« Reply #1669 on: July 31, 2012, 03:40:39 PM »
Finally started into Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell after ignoring its scrutinizing glares for so long as it sat on the shelf collecting dust.
obo

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #1671 on: July 31, 2012, 07:53:24 PM »
I'm reading Rainbow Six it's my first Tom Clancy book and I'm willing to guess that it's probably not the best one to start with. It's really dry and kinda boring.

However it got me thinking. Are there any books that deal with the world post some sort of apocalypse, not like zombies or whatever. something like The Stand but more serious? I've already read The Road.
nat

MrAngryFace

« Reply #1672 on: July 31, 2012, 07:57:39 PM »
Eternity Road was interesting, and one of my favorites
o_0

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1673 on: July 31, 2012, 09:13:00 PM »
there is a huge portion of post apocalyptic fiction which skews from serious (the road, as you know) to the bugshit insane (like the Ashes series, written by a leftist as a parody of right wing dogma in post apocalyptic thought)

Lucifer's Hammer - comet crashes into earth.  everyone is fucked
on the beach - nuclear war.  the final survivors flee to the coast of Australia to await the inevitable
canticle for leibowitz - my favorite sci-fi book.  a meditation on Catholicism in the face of three stages of post apocalyptic events.  does the unusual in that it shows the ramifications of the rebirth of society rather than everything being all Fallout all the time
alas, babylon - Jericho the book.
Tonya

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1674 on: July 31, 2012, 10:13:20 PM »
I'm reading Rainbow Six it's my first Tom Clancy book and I'm willing to guess that it's probably not the best one to start with. It's really dry and kinda boring.

However it got me thinking. Are there any books that deal with the world post some sort of apocalypse, not like zombies or whatever. something like The Stand but more serious? I've already read The Road.

Seriously, I tried reading Rainbow Six several times. I got about 200 pp. into it each time, and just gave up.

Also, there is quite a bit of postapocalypse fikshun out there:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_apocalyptic_and_post-apocalyptic_fiction

I'd even seen a YA series of books I recently saw, surprised that post-apocalypse would be a theme for that demographic; sadly, I can't remember the name.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1675 on: July 31, 2012, 11:16:39 PM »
I finally dove into some DFW myself, over the weekend, in the shape of Consider the Lobster. Man, he's good.

Also recently enjoyed Lev Grossman's The Magician Kings and Jack McCallum's book on the Dream Team. Still spend most of my reading time on those books with the pictures though.
vjj

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1676 on: August 01, 2012, 01:37:35 AM »
I finally dove into some DFW myself, over the weekend, in the shape of Consider the Lobster. Man, he's good.

Also recently enjoyed Lev Grossman's The Magician Kings and Jack McCallum's book on the Dream Team. Still spend most of my reading time on those books with the pictures though.

Playboy or Penthouse?

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #1677 on: August 02, 2012, 10:02:35 PM »
🍆🍆

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #1678 on: August 04, 2012, 02:34:24 PM »

A good, dry read in the vein of CV Wedgwood's Thirty Years War, another favorite of mine.
🍆🍆

MrAngryFace

« Reply #1679 on: August 04, 2012, 04:47:47 PM »

Finished- was awesome.
o_0