Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1083157 times)

Bebpo

Re: Corona Thread |OT| A lot of good things are going to happen.
« Reply #2460 on: March 16, 2020, 04:22:56 PM »
SF just announced resident lockdown quarantine outside essentials.

LA/OC probably not far behind.

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #2461 on: March 16, 2020, 04:24:11 PM »
Our online public speaking courses do things like make it where the assignments are to go find random people and give the speech to them and they sign a thing for you confirming you delivered it.
:dead

If this thing roller coasters for another year it's gonna be awesome for students

No it's not. If this thing lasts, you won't even be able to sign up for next semester classes. This online thing is a stop gap.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #2462 on: March 16, 2020, 04:25:10 PM »
There will be pushback from the faculty but the schools will just keep offering online classes. Guarantee it.
每天生气

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #2463 on: March 16, 2020, 04:26:27 PM »
Online courses have epic failure rates. So it's a win-win as the students will have to take them again and again.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2464 on: March 16, 2020, 04:28:55 PM »
Shit's getting real bois, hope the mini washer and dryer I ordered arrive on Wednesday like they're supposed to so I can wash my stanky clothes during this.

https://sf.curbed.com/2020/3/16/21182152/san-francisco-bay-area-shelter-in-place-coronavirus

Homeless residents will be exempt from the order as officials try to find ways to house them.

:-\
ど助平

shosta

« Reply #2465 on: March 16, 2020, 04:29:17 PM »
I really don't understand that. The only classes I've ever failed are in-person ones where I got so bored or depressed I couldn't even bring myself to go anymore. I've "cheated" on every online test I've ever taken (like five or six) and gotten As.
每天生气

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2466 on: March 16, 2020, 04:30:59 PM »
I sure hope you're not aiming for an important job like heart surgeon.
🤴

shosta

« Reply #2467 on: March 16, 2020, 04:31:46 PM »
No, I'm aiming for something useless like CTO of a web design company
每天生气

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #2468 on: March 16, 2020, 04:39:35 PM »
No, I'm aiming for something useless like CTO of a web design company

COO, Partner, and Product Designer mind you  :wag

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #2469 on: March 16, 2020, 04:39:47 PM »
Girlfriend and her sister both had a feeling "like an elephant was standing on their chests", neither had a fever, cough, etc though. They both went to the hospital where they had some labwork and an x-ray done, but no COVID tests since they weren't showing enough symptoms.  :-\

Doctors think it's an everyday respiratory infection but my girlfriend is gonna self-isolate. So looks like skype dates for the next few weeks.
^_^

benjipwns

« Reply #2470 on: March 16, 2020, 04:40:51 PM »
I took a course that had online quizzes tied to the textbook chapters, you were told to not use the book, but given half an hour to complete the quizzes. Which were like twenty multiple choice questions. I was literally shocked to learn that fellow students were following the guidelines.

And even more so, that they wished there was more time.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #2471 on: March 16, 2020, 04:42:24 PM »
I took a course that had online quizzes tied to the textbook chapters, you were told to not use the book, but given half an hour to complete the quizzes. Which were like twenty multiple choice questions. I was literally shocked to learn that fellow students were following the guidelines.

And even more so, that they wished there was more time.

statists, amirite

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #2472 on: March 16, 2020, 04:58:19 PM »
States led by Democrats: SHUT DOWN EVERYTHING

States led by Republicans

https://twitter.com/SarahHollenbeck/status/1239621939729235968
:O

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2473 on: March 16, 2020, 04:59:14 PM »
It looks like the Dutch are doing the hard immunity '''''strategy'''' huh :dead weeeeeeeeeew

I support their decision.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
and hope that the US will follow the Dutch and the UK's example. 
[close]

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #2474 on: March 16, 2020, 05:01:37 PM »
Girlfriend and her sister both had a feeling "like an elephant was standing on their chests", neither had a fever, cough, etc though. They both went to the hospital where they had some labwork and an x-ray done, but no COVID tests since they weren't showing enough symptoms.  :-\

Doctors think it's an everyday respiratory infection but my girlfriend is gonna self-isolate. So looks like skype dates for the next few weeks.

I have the same thing right now.  Slight cough but I’m allergic to the world so that’s not terribly uncommon for me on the best of days.  I considered going to the doctor but figured they wouldn’t test me so I’m gonna ride it out unless I get worse.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2476 on: March 16, 2020, 05:12:20 PM »
Here’s something: we are being limited on what we can ship today because of sick calls from truck drivers with one of our carriers

Yeah, this is when the food supply chain gets held up and people legit start running out of food.

Donald Trump will just buy Big Macs for all of us at the White House.
©@©™

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #2477 on: March 16, 2020, 05:13:11 PM »
Using vacation for the rest of the week to go out raiding for supplies lol

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2478 on: March 16, 2020, 05:16:05 PM »
It looks like the Dutch are doing the hard immunity '''''strategy'''' huh :dead weeeeeeeeeew
Nothing else we can do with < 1500 ICU beds on a population of 17 million and a standing "army" of 15 000.

🤴

shosta

« Reply #2479 on: March 16, 2020, 05:18:48 PM »
Nothing else we can do with < 1500 ICU beds on a population of 17 million and a standing "army" of 15 000.

It's the opposite. Quarantining, lockdowns, and banning of public gatherings and non-essential work is how you slow the spread and reduce the impact on the health system. You don't yolo it and let everyone get it all at once. You retard.
每天生气

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2480 on: March 16, 2020, 05:21:35 PM »

It's the opposite. Quarantining, lockdowns, and banning of public gatherings and non-essential work is how you slow the spread and reduce the impact on the health system. You don't yolo it and let everyone get it all at once. You retard.
It's not my decision.  :idont
Our PM is getting flak over this, just like with the schools he didn't close earlier so maybe we'll have a lockdown anyway.
But this is what the experts have recommended.
🤴

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>

Clockwork5

« Reply #2482 on: March 16, 2020, 05:26:19 PM »
If Mitt Romney wants to pay me $1000 to get high at home and eat Taco Bell for a month I’m cool with that. It would def be a financial hit but that’s a sacrifice I’m willing to make.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2483 on: March 16, 2020, 05:30:33 PM »
I mean Mitt wants to pay you 1000$ to sit at home and pray the Mormon Outergod that He return to devour the gays but he won't say that.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 05:37:22 PM by Madrun Badrun »

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #2484 on: March 16, 2020, 05:31:36 PM »
My alma mater just announced that graduation ceremony will be canceled and degrees will be delivered in a virtual ceremony lol

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #2485 on: March 16, 2020, 05:33:57 PM »

tbh in a hypothetical situation where you had the ability to really quarantine the vulnerable population for months on end and the medical infrastructure necessary to deal with everyone else getting sick at once, that's not a bad strategy. Too bad no such place exists on this planet.
yar

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2486 on: March 16, 2020, 05:36:40 PM »

tbh in a hypothetical situation where you had the ability to really quarantine the vulnerable population for months on end and the medical infrastructure necessary to deal with everyone else getting sick at once, that's not a bad strategy. Too bad no such place exists on this planet.

I've been saying we should send the elderly to mars for years and no one listened to me. 

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #2487 on: March 16, 2020, 05:40:32 PM »

I have the same thing right now.  Slight cough but I’m allergic to the world so that’s not terribly uncommon for me on the best of days.  I considered going to the doctor but figured they wouldn’t test me so I’m gonna ride it out unless I get worse.

Same, I've had a chronic, low key cough for 3-4 weeks now. But it's not constant or overwhelming, and I live in an apartment that's had shit tons of leaks so there's probably all kinds of awesome mold growing in the walls and shit. Just trying to hunker down for a month or two and ride this shit out.
yar

shosta

« Reply #2488 on: March 16, 2020, 05:50:35 PM »
Gonna spend most of this quarantine watching Liz Bruenig cook stuff on twitch

https://m.twitch.tv/videos/568058098
每天生气

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #2489 on: March 16, 2020, 05:58:39 PM »
Who the fuck goes into Taco Bell to eat anyway

Because once a year I look at the drive thru line and think "I bet I can save time by going inside". Then end up taking 15 minutes to get my order anyways.

That feeling when you look across the counter in the drive-thru and see the car that came in behind you grabbing their food before you get yours. :gloomy

T Bell app. That's what I did today. Order my food, set the time I will arrive. Walk in grab bag, walk out. No touching anything except the door. Goo home, wash hands. Win

:win

except that I'm eating fast food I guess, but meh. That's not my main diet anyway.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #2490 on: March 16, 2020, 05:59:52 PM »
don't forget the sick worker who coughed on your food cause they don't have paid time off

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2491 on: March 16, 2020, 06:00:56 PM »
BTW the cbc 24 hour live stream is free and available outside canada.  Its pretty good.  https://www.cbc.ca/news

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #2492 on: March 16, 2020, 06:03:05 PM »
don't forget the sick worker who coughed on your food cause they don't have paid time off

fuck! I was outside the whole time and waited until I saw them start preparing my food. I saw no coughing.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #2493 on: March 16, 2020, 06:06:56 PM »
Job was like "oh we're closing to the public, but you're still coming in!!!" on Saturday. Two days later: "Oh, you don't need to come in, we're on administration leave and getting paid for two weeks." Motherfuckers, why couldn't you say that shit then? Half the higher-ups in the chain of command are so fucking stupid, I swear to god.

"Hmm, this virus seems to be popping off, what should we do?"
"Have our employees clean things hourly/disinfect!"
(Cases happen around here)
"Shit, schools are closing, what should we do?"
"How about we close to the public and make our employees work?"
"Brilliant!"
(Later)
"Oh, on second thought, maybe we shouldn't be assholes and actually let them stay home."

:|

shosta

« Reply #2494 on: March 16, 2020, 06:15:16 PM »
All the people that really do have to work during these times should be given government hazard pay.
每天生气

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2495 on: March 16, 2020, 06:15:37 PM »
So the French new measures... The rumors of a 45 days lockdown with curfew were so ubiquitous from numerous "good sources" that I think it was either on the table or a rumor to mollify minds and have the pill go down easier.

- "We're at war" *3 God he loves the sounds of his farts a bit.
- Tons of laurels for health workers after 20 years of reforms to cut down costs breh.
- 15 days, renewable.
- You will need a self fulfilled certificate for going to work, shopping, get care, exercice (alone). Failure to have one will get you a fine. This starts tomorrow, I don't have a printer, I'll need to get to work first before making it.
- Work from home to be a priority but basically he doesn't want to shut down all non essential sectors and forcing people out of work if WFH can't be arranged.
- Taxis and hotels may be requisitioned (and paid for) by the state... For health workers I think, I'm not certain I heard that right.
- More masks to be delivered to pharmacies soon but I don't know how much the general public will have access to it.
- Army to help shift people needing hospital care to less saturated hospitals (The East and Paris region are at capacity).
- 300 billions on the table to guarantee assets and the economy, a very generous set of packages for businesses to help them survive this. (Help fund, exonerated from payroll taxes, postponing rents...).
- Second round of mayoral election postponed but not cancelled. This will require some legal magic to happen if I understand correctly but no one is objecting. Would be too much of a kick in the nuts to outright cancel it and having to say you got millions of people out to ballots and put them at risk for nothing.
- Pension reform and annual renegociation of unemployment benefits on stand by as long as this doesn't get better. The privatization of the Paris Airport business was already on hold because you couldn't sell it at a good price in the current situation.

I think that's the gist of it. So I'm working tomorrow but I expect it to ramp up again in a few days, to be honest. Macron called us to be "responsible" and... Let's say our legendary spirit of gallantry and contradiction makes me a bit skeptical. He tried to emphasize that this is War™ and I think people are starting to get the message. But honestly I was kinda ready for a 45 days lockdown, no work, to nip this in the bud for real. Third way, both sides, centrist Macron is trying to keep the economy together & saving lives at the same time.

I'll probably chance it for work this week (but I need to buy a thermometer tomorrow) but keep the option to self isolate if I show any symptoms or just if I feel like it. I'm not working something essential and basically all the clients and outlets are grinding to a halt anyway. I need to help my mom for her groceries and I don't want to risk infecting her.
ὕβρις

G The Resurrected

« Reply #2496 on: March 16, 2020, 06:18:41 PM »
Stay Safe Bay Area Duders! The lockdown is basically for the whole Bay Area, north to south to east to west.

I still can't breathe well and I can't get seen now so everything is done over the phone/FaceTime. The local satellite clinics are setting up for triage duties.

I stopped by Target for another round of antibiotics and they said they'll be closing as they aren't considered a super market and their pharmacy is limited and not a full fledged pharmacy. I was hoping they would stay open so I could get Animal Crossing and Doom Eternal this week...

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #2497 on: March 16, 2020, 06:19:29 PM »
fuck! I was outside the whole time and waited until I saw them start preparing my food. I saw no coughing.
burrito artists care for their customers like no others :rejoice

shosta

« Reply #2498 on: March 16, 2020, 06:21:53 PM »

:dead
每天生气

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #2499 on: March 16, 2020, 06:24:12 PM »
My kids’ speech teacher is making his students call in and give their speech that was due. What a dickhead. Lol

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2500 on: March 16, 2020, 06:35:25 PM »
Toronto Public Health officials issued a sweeping round of recommendations Monday, telling bars and restaurants to halt dine-in service and advising movie theatres, nightclubs and concert venue to close.

good

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #2501 on: March 16, 2020, 06:36:35 PM »

Our PM is getting flak over this, just like with the schools he didn't close earlier so maybe we'll have a lockdown anyway.

Which experts?  :lol

Rutte is putting the economy over human life and is calculating that a few thousand dead might be acceptable.

Same as the 100km/h on highways crap, he is choosing industry interest over the common man. He could be tougher on agriculture etc but he'd rather annoy Pietje trying to get to work.

Tbf you elected this clown

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2503 on: March 16, 2020, 06:54:09 PM »

Which experts?  :lol

Rutte is putting the economy over human life and is calculating that a few thousand dead might be acceptable.

Same as the 100km/h on highways crap, he is choosing industry interest over the common man. He could be tougher on agriculture etc but he'd rather annoy Pietje trying to get to work.

Tbf you elected this clown
This guy in particular
https://www.rivm.nl/en/about-rivm/knowledge-and-expertise/experts-and-expertise/prof-j-t-jaap-van-dissel
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #2504 on: March 16, 2020, 06:57:11 PM »
That's just Vin Diesel with a racial slur in front of his name.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2505 on: March 16, 2020, 06:59:47 PM »
Addendum : I sorta expect a lot of non essential companies will close under the demands of their own workers. Labor unions already tried to have the Naval Yards of St Nazaire shut down, Renault and Michelin closed factories in France, Italy and Spain, etc... Having hundreds or thousands of employees congregate for stuff that is on hold anyway seems pretty counter-intuitive.

I'm freelance, have no kids but if I was a permanent employee I'd probably try to get leave under work shortage reasons, this will be covered generously. I'd take 80%+ of my wage for peace of mind, public transports and work are probably the two places you're most susceptible to be infected with all social gatherings being off.
ὕβρις

shosta

« Reply #2506 on: March 16, 2020, 07:15:48 PM »
每天生气

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2507 on: March 16, 2020, 07:16:17 PM »

shosta

« Reply #2508 on: March 16, 2020, 07:36:18 PM »
The Spanish government has nationalized all private hospitals and healthcare providers as the country suffers a surge in coronavirus cases.
每天生气

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #2510 on: March 16, 2020, 07:42:50 PM »
Wrasslemania has been moved to the WWE Performance Center. With no fans. In a gym. In Florida.

Time truly is a flat circle :lucas

Saw a youtube clip of John Cena talking it up in the ring and then some dude who I guess has voices in his head came in to share his point of view. It was strange. Like sitting in drama class and watching two people perform.

Same goes for the clip I saw of some women's tag team battle. It all looks like practice.

benjipwns

« Reply #2511 on: March 16, 2020, 07:43:06 PM »
I heard from my uncle who works at Nintendo that construction has started on the FEMA death camps 

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #2512 on: March 16, 2020, 07:43:20 PM »
Gonna spend most of this quarantine watching Liz Bruenig cook stuff on twitch

https://m.twitch.tv/videos/568058098

lmao

benjipwns

« Reply #2513 on: March 16, 2020, 08:00:09 PM »
Text messages, however, can pose a particular problem, said Graham Brookie, the director and managing editor of the Digital Forensic Research Lab at the Atlantic Council. He said text messages are usually a trusted medium, in part because the sender needs to know the recipient’s phone number. They cannot be as easily forwarded as messages on other social media, like WhatsApp messages or Facebook posts.

“It’s a little bit more intentional,” he said.

By sourcing information to a relative or friend of a friend, the messages appear to be conversational and accessible while maintaining a “facade of credibility,” he said.

The disinformation follows a familiar playbook used on other social media, old-fashioned chain letters and emails: asking the recipient to forward the message to others, Mr. Brookie said.

“It’s the latest version of that threat,” he said. “It’s not something that is new, but it is something that is effective.”
The goal is not clear.

It’s not immediately clear who was responsible for the mass text messages on Sunday, or any of the others, according to Mr. Brookie, who was an adviser at the council until 2017. Text messages are hard to track, because data about them, kept by companies like AT&T or Verizon, is not necessarily accessible to the public, he said.

One of the few ways to track text messages is through crowdsourced reports on social media.

“We don’t know where they are coming from, which is one of the main vulnerabilities here,” Mr. Brookie said. “It could be anything from your everyday scammer to a hostile nation-state.”

And not knowing where the messages are coming from also makes it harder to ascertain the goal of the messages. Because the messages are urging people to stockpile goods, the goal could be financial gain, Mr. Brookie said. Or it could be to stoke chaos and confusion across the country, he added.

benjipwns

« Reply #2514 on: March 16, 2020, 08:01:53 PM »
What can people do about it?

Mr. Brookie said people receiving text messages about the coronavirus should verify the source of the message as well as the source’s source. He said people should check for biases in the message.

“Does something feel like it’s trying to scare you?” he said. “Is it claiming it has all the facts while others don’t? Is it jumping to conclusions that you haven’t seen in other places? Is it using rhetorical tools in order to persuade you of something?”

He added, “if it’s not pointing to the latest, verified science-based information, like coronavirus.gov, then absolutely think twice about it.”

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #2515 on: March 16, 2020, 08:05:47 PM »
damn this quarantine shit is for real? or did i miss some joke in the last pages?

benjipwns

« Reply #2516 on: March 16, 2020, 08:06:54 PM »
damn this quarantine shit is for real? or did i miss some joke in the last pages?
I saw the screenshots of it in GamePro at the store.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2517 on: March 16, 2020, 08:07:11 PM »
I mean, it's a foregone conclusion regardless of being substantiated or not. Every major Euro country is enforcing some sort of varying lockdown preventing unnecessary social gatherings, generally including closing up bars, restaurants (except take away) and all non essential shops. Several US states have already turned towards this. All signs point, even with the potential undertesting issue in the US, to the infection being probably on a similar level in the US than in Europe.
ὕβρις

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #2518 on: March 16, 2020, 08:07:30 PM »

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #2519 on: March 16, 2020, 08:08:54 PM »
I mean, it's a foregone conclusion regardless of being substantiated or not. Every major Euro country is enforcing some sort of varying lockdown preventing unnecessary social gatherings, generally including closing up bars, restaurants and all non essential shops. Several US states have already turned towards this. All signs points that the infection is probably on a similar level in the US than in Europe.

the zoomers have been running viral incubation chambers the last week, gonna be wild within a week when the infectees manifest