Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1083136 times)

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
Re: Corona Thread |OT| The Curse of La Rona
« Reply #8640 on: May 28, 2020, 06:27:10 PM »
welp my job called and wants me back on the eighth. for those that have been paying attention, about how dangerous is it to spend all day in a room with 6-10 other people who will probably not do a good job of covering their faces?

I find taping a plastic bag over their heads works a treat. If they stop moving they're just napping.

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #8641 on: May 28, 2020, 06:27:30 PM »
welp my job called and wants me back on the eighth. for those that have been paying attention, about how dangerous is it to spend all day in a room with 6-10 other people who will probably not do a good job of covering their faces?

The bigger the room, the better. If you can space out and put 6 feet between you, might want to put a marker around desks, like tape on the floor where people should stand, etc. Poor ventilation seems to be a big warning sign, so if the AC is terrible, it might be better to not have it on in the first place, but since we're moving into summer, that's unlikely to be viable.

So uh.....

----------

https://twitter.com/WJCLNews/status/1265640672738058240
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 06:39:15 PM by Tripon »

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #8642 on: May 28, 2020, 06:41:59 PM »
Can I have your blurays? 

sure but i need to be buried with my evangelion thanks

The bigger the room, the better. If you can space out and put 6 feet between you, might want to put a marker around desks, like tape on the floor where people should stand, etc. Poor ventilation seems to be a big warning sign, so if the AC is terrible, it might be better to not have it on in the first place, but since we're moving into summer, that's unlikely to be viable.

So uh.....

well the building is from the 50's so i'm gonna say the ventilation is probably trash.

fuck me, why the fuck are they doing this? my job isn't essential so i have to imagine it's some dumbfuck up top thinking this all isn't as bad as it really is. and it'd be hard as hell for me to find a decent job as is but with the way shit is now, jfc. we need to burn all this shit down and start over ASAP
pcp

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #8643 on: May 28, 2020, 06:45:47 PM »
Current local logic: more people die in car crashes so MayBE YOu sHoUD BAn CaRS!
The premise isn't true: 30,000-40,000 die in car crashes per year. 100,000-150,000 have died of COVID-19 in a few months, many more would've died without action.
The analogy doesn't make sense. There are thousands of restrictions dealing with cars to prevent car fatalities.

how many more would die in accidents per year without the tyranny of seatbelts infringing on our personal freedoms?

kingv

« Reply #8644 on: May 28, 2020, 06:53:49 PM »
Current local logic: more people die in car crashes so MayBE YOu sHoUD BAn CaRS!
The premise isn't true: 30,000-40,000 die in car crashes per year. 100,000-150,000 have died of COVID-19 in a few months, many more would've died without action.
The analogy doesn't make sense. There are thousands of restrictions dealing with cars to prevent car fatalities. Why can't there be temporary restrictions on movement or gatherings to prevent COVID-19 fatalities?

Beyond that people are comparing corona to some of the top killers and shrugging it off as no big deal. 

Our systems are built to support predictable outcomes;  a certain amount of people dying or needing hospitalization from known disease within a given year.  Even back when people were comparing it to the flu before we ran past that number; influenza is the #8 killer of Americans... a brand new disease passing it up that didn't exist last year is fucking significant lol

Im not sure that  the biggest problem is that coronavirus is “if you get coronavirus you will probably die” (assuming you are reasonably healthy) but instead that nobody is fucking immune to it, so it spreads like wildfire. If 200 million Americans got the flu every year instead of 40 million and we set up temporary tent hospitals to deal with it we’d be pretty fucking scared of it too.

But dumb people don’t get that.

Bebpo

« Reply #8645 on: May 28, 2020, 07:20:33 PM »
Man, I hope I don't die in the next couple of weeks.

I had to go see my dumb ass surgeon doctor today and he walks into this tiny closet room without a mask and stands 1-2 feet from me and tries to be all chatty and I try to ignore him and get him to distance and hurry up, but yeah. He sees dozens of patients a day and gets this close all day long and obviously takes no precautions (all his staff does and wears masks and is setup well, the other doctors in the suite are all wearing masks). While most of the patients had masks on, I saw the ones that came out before me were a husband and wife with no masks on, so he's seeing people and shaking hands and talking close up without masks and then talking in my face. Also a lot of his patients are immune suppressed like me. And this is in LA which has a lot of Covid cases.

If I live after the next 2-3 weeks I'm not going to see him again.

I'm a little anxious, but more just angry. There was nothing I could really do about it once he walks into this room and stands between me and the door and starts talking. I give my friends shit for going to restaurant dine-ins and the beach and all kinds of stuff already, but at those restaurants all the employees are wearing masks and outdoors is hard to spread, so what I just experienced was 100x more risky than anything my "freedom" friends are out doing. And they're not even immune suppressed like me.

Anyhow, it's past and there's nothing I can do about it. Either this doctor was active and contagious and I caught it or he wasn't or I didn't. If I get it, either I'll be ok, or I'll be dead.
Just kinda discomforting thinking these could be the last weeks of my life suddenly.  :-\

Tripon

« Reply #8646 on: May 28, 2020, 08:43:58 PM »
Experts think the new coronavirus originated in bats, then jumped to humans via an intermediary animal species.

Initially, authorities in Wuhan, China — where the first cases were reported— thought that jump happened at a local wet market.

Now, the Chinese CDC has ruled out the market as a possible origin site for the outbreak. Instead, it may have been the site of an early super-spreader event.

Animals sold at the market were not infected with the virus, tests showed, which suggests that they couldn't have infected shoppers.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/chinese-cdc-now-says-coronavirus-224900090.html

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8647 on: May 28, 2020, 08:53:37 PM »
Ya, that sounds like china excussing wet markets. 

kingv

« Reply #8648 on: May 28, 2020, 09:46:44 PM »
Chinese CDC is a stupid name for the Chinese CDC.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #8649 on: May 28, 2020, 09:59:35 PM »
chicoms cdc  ;)

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8651 on: May 29, 2020, 10:22:43 AM »
They are testing monkeys in India but not sick people.  Where is the conspiracy thread again? 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 10:38:20 AM by Madrun Badrun »

Ghoul

« Reply #8652 on: May 29, 2020, 10:46:54 AM »
A gang of monkeys attacked a laboratory assistant and escaped with a batch of coronavirus test samples, it has been reported.

The bizarre incident saw the troop of primates launch their assault near Meerut Medical College in Delhi, India.

According to local media, the animals then snatched COVID-19 test samples from three patients and fled.

Monkeys get on a motorcycle to eat fruits from a box during a the lockdown in New Delhi

One of the monkeys was later spotted in a tree chewing one of the sample collection kits, the Times of India reported - adding that test samples from the patients had to be taken again.

:snoop

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #8653 on: May 29, 2020, 11:01:02 AM »
Army of the 12 monkeys strikes again

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #8654 on: May 29, 2020, 11:03:52 AM »
Monkeys taking advantage of Indian Indirectness :stahp
(ice)

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #8656 on: May 29, 2020, 02:07:41 PM »
A gang of monkeys attacked a laboratory assistant and escaped with a batch of coronavirus test samples, it has been reported.

The bizarre incident saw the troop of primates launch their assault near Meerut Medical College in Delhi, India.

According to local media, the animals then snatched COVID-19 test samples from three patients and fled.

Monkeys get on a motorcycle to eat fruits from a box during a the lockdown in New Delhi

One of the monkeys was later spotted in a tree chewing one of the sample collection kits, the Times of India reported - adding that test samples from the patients had to be taken again.

:snoop

Someone accidentally fed the Simulation a rejected script for Dunston Checks In 2.
©@©™

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #8657 on: May 29, 2020, 02:39:43 PM »
WFH order was extended to at least July 4th! :rejoice
^_^

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8658 on: May 29, 2020, 03:34:19 PM »
We thought my wife was about to be let go today, but it turned out to just be her boss setting up a call to ask when she's taking maternity leave, lol.

WFH order was extended to at least July 4th! :rejoice

Mine is mid-September at the earliest...and even then my team might still be at home.  They also said people with kids won't be forced to come back.  At this point am not expecting to step foot in there until sometime next year.  :lol
ど助平

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #8660 on: May 29, 2020, 06:53:04 PM »
Bout to get a haircut. Pray for me 😫

BisMarckie

« Reply #8661 on: May 29, 2020, 07:36:11 PM »
Already got a haircut two weeks ago, one of my students commented on my grown out hair and I couldn't take this slight.

That fucker is going to fail this class btw. :rage

Tripon

« Reply #8662 on: May 29, 2020, 07:44:09 PM »
Already got a haircut two weeks ago, one of my students commented on my grown out hair and I couldn't take this slight.

That fucker is going to fail this class btw. :rage

Schools in California have said that students can't fail during online learning.

BisMarckie

« Reply #8663 on: May 29, 2020, 07:48:33 PM »
Good thing I am neither in California nor in a school. :smug

Honestly though, most of the essays and term papers I hand out D's for are such a load of garbage that I could easily grade them with an F if I weren't such a nice guy. :stahp

I don't think I ever let anyone fail if they handed in anything close resembling a serious effort.

Tripon

« Reply #8664 on: May 29, 2020, 11:34:14 PM »
(CNN)A person who partied in the Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri, area on Memorial Day weekend has tested positive for coronavirus -- and was possibly infectious over the holiday weekend.

The Boone County resident visited multiple bars on May 24 and 25, according to the Camden County Health Department. They "developed illness" on Sunday and were possibly infectious before then.
Video from that weekend shows partiers crowded together in a pool at Backwater Jacks Bar and Grill in Osage Beach on Saturday, according to Scott Pasmore, an anchor for CNN affiliate KTVK, who shot the footage.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/29/us/ozarks-missouri-party-coronavirus/index.html

The partier went to Backwater Jacks between approximately 1 p.m. and 5 p.m. local time and again shortly before 10 p.m. local, according to health officials.
The person -- who was not identified by officials -- also went to Shady Gators and Lazy Gators and Buffalo Wild Wings, officials said.
About 12,700 people in Missouri have tested positive for coronavirus and about 730 have died from Covid-19 infection, according to state data.
There have been no cases reported in Camden County residents this week, officials said.
Officials release timeline of infected person's movements
Camden County health officials urged those who were in the area to monitor for symptoms. They released a timeline of the infected person's movements, including a list of the bars they visited:
Saturday, May 23
Backwater Jacks: between approximately 1 p.m.-5 p.m.
Shady Gators and Lazy Gators Pool: 5:40 p.m.-9 p.m.
Backwater Jacks: 9:40 p.m.-10 p.m.
Sunday, May 24
Buffalo Wild Wings: 1 p.m.-2 p.m.
Shady Gators: around 2:30 p.m. until around 6:30-7 p.m.
'Zero Ducks Given' party drew crowds
As part of Missouri's reopening plan announced earlier this month, state officials said restaurants may offer dining-in services but must adhere to social distancing and other precautionary public health measures. The gathering that weekend violated social distancing measures intended to limit the spread of Covid-19. Backwater Jacks maintains that no laws were broken
Before you go to the pool, beach or lake this summer, read this
Before you go to the pool, beach or lake this summer, read this
The bar posted on Facebook that this was its launch of summer party called "Zero Ducks Given Pool Party" -- the third annual event. They advertised several DJs and bands performing throughout the event.
"The venue has worked with and taken the advice of government officials and management teams and will be following social distancing guidelines. Extra precautions and safety measures will be taken to provide a safe environment for you to enjoy the event," the bar said.
Medical staff was hired for the event, according to the bar, and anyone with a temperature of above 100.4 was denied access, they said. Hand sanitizer was also provided.
Coronavirus is not likely to spread in water, the CDC says, but it does spread through people in close proximity. Staying at least 6 feet from others is particularly important at pools or beaches because masks are impractical in water.
For example, several people who attended a high school swim party in neighboring Arkansas contracted Covid-19, Gov. Asa Hutchinson said Saturday.
Large turnout was expected
The Lake of the Ozarks expected a large turnout that weekend after getting a late start to the season because of the pandemic, according to CNN affiliate KTVI.
"It's supposed to be one of the biggest Memorial Day weekends we've seen at the lake here in years," Bill Morgan, manager of Robins Resort in Lake of the Ozarks, told KTVI that week.
Adam Kirk lives in Osage Beach, Missouri, and shot a time-lapse drone video that shows the amount of boat traffic on the Lake of the Ozarks that Saturday at 4:30 p.m.
"It definitely seems like more (traffic) than last year," he said. "It seems like everyone is having the same idea, to come to the lake to enjoy summer, because you can social distance at the same time."
CNN's Nick Watt, Emily Smith and Fenly Foxen contributed to this report.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8665 on: May 30, 2020, 01:54:43 PM »
Ontario is looking good outside of the GTA, and even inside hospital numbers are slowly decreasing. 

kingv

« Reply #8666 on: May 30, 2020, 02:38:12 PM »
I cut my own hair,

Got a little ahead of myself trying to give myself a Line up with the 1mm guard, so the back is pretty fucked, but it looks ok from the front.

I’ll never talk shit on great clips again.

Tripon

Tripon

« Reply #8668 on: May 30, 2020, 10:32:04 PM »

Ghoul

« Reply #8669 on: May 31, 2020, 04:51:03 AM »
These protests are really gonna do numbers on new cases over the next couple of weeks

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8670 on: May 31, 2020, 11:57:43 AM »

Tripon

« Reply #8671 on: May 31, 2020, 12:43:49 PM »

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #8672 on: May 31, 2020, 02:45:32 PM »
The timeline we live where that's a real tweet

If any elected official has credibility on the subject of wearing a mask...

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #8673 on: May 31, 2020, 06:32:38 PM »
Having a drink at a patio bar that’s open up here, fuck it

BisMarckie

« Reply #8674 on: May 31, 2020, 06:41:32 PM »
Make out with the waiter :rash

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #8675 on: May 31, 2020, 06:42:29 PM »
My family forbade me from going to outdoor restaurants while at the same time they have 10+ cousins over. Fucking Arabs, man.

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #8676 on: May 31, 2020, 06:48:21 PM »
This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to grow my hair out whilst holding down a professional job, manbun incoming
 :itagaki
jon

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8677 on: May 31, 2020, 07:26:09 PM »
I'm doing that too.  Always wanted long hair even though I know I'll look like a 31 yearold neckbeard.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #8678 on: May 31, 2020, 07:32:32 PM »
 :mynicca

Tripon

« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 10:12:37 PM by Tripon »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8680 on: May 31, 2020, 08:34:37 PM »
That's how you know the whole thing is a sham.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 07:38:44 AM by Madrun Badrun »

Ghoul

« Reply #8681 on: May 31, 2020, 11:27:56 PM »
18k for a test, fucking hell.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #8682 on: June 01, 2020, 02:22:38 AM »
This virus is a motherfucker, it just keep slowly gnawing away. Every day another 800 or so gets added to the US death count.

Even in Ohio where it’s been relatively mild, we’ve plateaued at 500 new cases a day for more than a month now. It just won’t taper off.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018

Ghoul

« Reply #8684 on: June 01, 2020, 04:41:48 AM »
Yeah makes you laugh, "Thank you based insurance saving me 99%" 

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #8685 on: June 01, 2020, 10:30:19 AM »
ὕβρις

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #8686 on: June 01, 2020, 10:36:34 AM »
Aren't they just raising those costs to make the discount seem bigger?

That's the oldest trick in the book.  :success
🤴

Ghoul

« Reply #8687 on: June 01, 2020, 10:38:46 AM »

Highly doubt that, it's america afterall and healthcare is fucked :money

Tripon

« Reply #8688 on: June 01, 2020, 11:00:53 AM »

Yes, and no. American health care charges is based on an old archaic system called the Chargemaster, where the hospital sets internally what a procedure should cost. What gets really wonky is that hospitals will intentionally inflate their prices in order to give 'discounts' that they can more easily write off to insurance companies. But if you're a person without insurance, the $18K is the original price you pay because lol, the American healthcare system is screwed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chargemaster

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #8689 on: June 01, 2020, 12:06:23 PM »
Man, remember when Corona was still a thing? Wild times.
©@©™

Fifstar

« Reply #8690 on: June 01, 2020, 01:50:41 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/jpm25/status/1266830912999710725

German public health insurance pays about 50 dollar to labs for a Corona test. I mean I know the us health care system is fucked but something here must be wrong.
Gulp

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #8691 on: June 01, 2020, 05:41:12 PM »
Scheduled an elective antibody test for this week, here's hoping that terrible cold that went through my house in february was rona
jon

Tripon

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #8693 on: June 02, 2020, 04:16:01 AM »
https://www.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-sex-lockdown-illegal-093127804.html
Having sex in your own home with someone from a different household is illegal from today, after the government altered its coronavirus legislation.

At 11.30am on Monday, a change to the law was introduced that bans two people from different households in England gathering in an indoor, private place during the coronavirus lockdown.

The amendment to the Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) Bill states: “No person may participate in a gathering which takes place in a public or private place indoors, and consists of two or more persons.”

Previously, going to another person’s home to have sex would have been a breach of coronavirus lockdown restrictions, but now both parties could be prosecuted under the law. Having sex in public is already illegal.

Only those with a “reasonable excuse” are permitted to meet in a private place.

https://twitter.com/AdamWagner1/status/1267105533351297025

https://twitter.com/GeorgePeretzQC/status/1267162604377706496

:gbcry

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #8694 on: June 02, 2020, 04:21:57 AM »
I give it a fortnight before a Tory minister is found to have broken that law
(ice)

Ghoul

« Reply #8695 on: June 02, 2020, 04:29:21 AM »
That's giving them too much credit. Give it three days.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #8696 on: June 02, 2020, 04:31:03 AM »
I’m giving it some leeway to leak to the press, I’m sure one of them at least will have shagged their mistress last night

(ice)

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #8697 on: June 02, 2020, 04:37:07 AM »
I give it a fortnight before a Tory minister is found to have broken that law

They were just testing their eyesight c'mon now.

Ghoul

« Reply #8698 on: June 02, 2020, 04:37:28 AM »
They're probably just paying the mistress so it's as if she was a prostitute. They love their loopholes.   

Tripon