Author Topic: Anime-Booru Desu~ |OT|  (Read 1297280 times)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: Anime-Bore |OT| - An anime about making anime about anime.
« Reply #6000 on: December 23, 2014, 09:56:30 AM »
Oh, and Psycho Pass 2 is over as well.  I didn't like the way it ended-- felt way too rushed.  There's also a movie coming next year.
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6001 on: December 23, 2014, 12:17:57 PM »
Ghost in the Shell has a lot less violence than Akira [though a lot more casual, non-sexualized nudity], but it's got a dense philosophical slant that turns off a lot of people who might otherwise be interested. If the movie doesn't do anything for you, try watching the TV series.
dog

Tasty

« Reply #6002 on: December 23, 2014, 12:19:02 PM »
I didn't see Akira until last December. :yeshrug

Priorities brehs.

Been big into GITS for as long as I can remember. Such a cool world, and 13-year old me ate that warmed over philosophy shit up. :lawd

Beezy

« Reply #6003 on: December 23, 2014, 12:56:04 PM »
GITS movie :zzz

GITS: Stand Alone Complex :hyper

Tasty

« Reply #6004 on: December 23, 2014, 01:01:11 PM »
Yep.

Is Rise any good?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6005 on: December 23, 2014, 01:38:29 PM »
GITS Arise wasn't bad.  Worth watching.  There's like four of them total.

Definitely.  I was so bored by that movie while people were going nuts for it at release.  They took the original comics, ditched the cool Shirow art style, ditched the humor, and left this boring story that got a bunch of attention because that's when anime finally exploded in the west.  Total snoozer, literally-- I fell asleep watching it. 

I liked the first Stand Alone Complex season but couldn't finish season 2.  Got around halfway through. 

Dufus, just based on your avatar, you should watch The Daily Lives Of High School Boys.  It's like the guy equivalent of Azumanga Daioh.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6006 on: December 23, 2014, 01:43:06 PM »
Watch it :punch
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6008 on: December 23, 2014, 03:52:30 PM »
I can't stand high school animu. :expert

:larry
ど助平

Cheddahz

« Reply #6009 on: December 23, 2014, 04:04:14 PM »
Cowboy Bebop Blu-Ray set showed up a few days ago and my mom got me both of the Patlabor movies for Christmas

:lawd :lawd :lawd

Beezy

« Reply #6010 on: December 23, 2014, 04:53:38 PM »
Cowboy Bebop Blu-Ray set showed up a few days ago and my mom got me both of the Patlabor movies for Christmas

:lawd :lawd :lawd
I got the collector's edition of the amazon Bebop bluray set. :D

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #6011 on: December 23, 2014, 09:05:30 PM »
The GITS hate in this thread disgusts me.  :ufup
©@©™

sarslip

« Reply #6012 on: December 23, 2014, 09:14:50 PM »
this is where i admit i had preordered the Bebop SE, and canceled it six days before release, because i  thought the amazon image was a placeholder and i was not clear why the other version was $40 cheaper, so i canceled what was the SE for the regular level 1 weeaboo edition.

needless to say, it is my personal L of the year, and mine alone to bear   :gloomy

helios

« Reply #6013 on: December 23, 2014, 10:04:54 PM »
GITS Arise wasn't bad.  Worth watching.  There's like four of them total.

Definitely.  I was so bored by that movie while people were going nuts for it at release.  They took the original comics, ditched the cool Shirow art style, ditched the humor, and left this boring story that got a bunch of attention because that's when anime finally exploded in the west.  Total snoozer, literally-- I fell asleep watching it. 

I liked the first Stand Alone Complex season but couldn't finish season 2.  Got around halfway through. 

Dufus, just based on your avatar, you should watch The Daily Lives Of High School Boys.  It's like the guy equivalent of Azumanga Daioh.

I like GITS and Innocence, but now they both put me to sleep, especially Innocence. Half of the spoken lines are quotes. Looks amazing though.

Cheddahz

« Reply #6014 on: December 23, 2014, 10:08:48 PM »
this is where i admit i had preordered the Bebop SE, and canceled it six days before release, because i  thought the amazon image was a placeholder and i was not clear why the other version was $40 cheaper, so i canceled what was the SE for the regular level 1 weeaboo edition.

needless to say, it is my personal L of the year, and mine alone to bear   :gloomy
Oh, I did the same thing

sarslip

« Reply #6015 on: December 23, 2014, 10:23:40 PM »
ok, well...my other L apparently is not joining the Bubblegum Crisis Kickstarter.

kick51

« Reply #6016 on: December 23, 2014, 10:25:10 PM »
$19 for the Serial Experiments Lain box set on amazon

i don't buy blu-rays or like anime, but i had to buy that

Bebpo

« Reply #6017 on: December 24, 2014, 03:28:56 AM »
Finished Gundam Build Fighters.  It was good, a little episodic in the first half so kind of slow, but once tournament started it was good stuff.  Ep15 vs. Gundam Fenice was the best ep with a couple of the final battles being pretty close.  It's not much of a Gundam show, but for what it is, it's fun.

kick51

« Reply #6018 on: December 24, 2014, 09:01:06 AM »
People like subtlety and not being hit over the head every 5 seconds with awkward humor or a restatement of the plot or the character's morals or what the characters are feeling.  So that's why the GITS movie has a wider audience than most other anime, but is lost on a lot of anime fans.  They don't care about the art style of the manga or what ever meta crap that fan culture obsesses over.

Even shitty comic book movies aren't as hamfisted as your average anime :yeshrug

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6019 on: December 24, 2014, 09:37:12 AM »
What exactly does that have to do with GITS being kinda boring?

Nothing.  It's a boring adaption of a comic book that had pretty CG for the time, getting it some attention.  That's about it.  The "fan culture" (lol) he's talking about wasn't even the same in 1995.

:ufup
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6020 on: December 24, 2014, 09:38:44 AM »
It's funny how some people are turned off by colorful styles and only want to watch stuff in a 'teh mature' style. Same thing with games. Maybe with games it's even worse.

Watch Space Dandy.

What exactly does that have to do with GITS being kinda boring?

Nothing.  It's a boring adaption of a comic book that had pretty CG for the time, getting it some attention.  That's about it.

:ufup

The greatest transgression the movie adaptation made was not including the Major's lesbian VR threesome.
dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6021 on: December 24, 2014, 09:40:08 AM »
The greatest transgression the movie adaptation made was not including the Major's lesbian VR threesome.

And Batou's reaction, as he realizes he's connected to the session and can feel everything.   :lol
ど助平

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
« Reply #6022 on: December 24, 2014, 04:38:25 PM »

:noah :noah Track of the year. New GBF and Parastye on Christmas Eve :noah
Boo

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6023 on: December 24, 2014, 05:55:05 PM »
So what are some anime movies with an art style similar to Ghost in the Shell? I'm interested in seeing more animu stuff but apparently most of the good movies are Ghibli and I can't say I'm into that art style.

Go nuts.
dog

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
« Reply #6024 on: December 24, 2014, 06:00:24 PM »
GITS: Innonence
Jin Roh
A Letter to Momo
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
Wicked City
Ninja Scroll
Mardock Scramble

oh man rumbler beat me to it.
Boo

helios

« Reply #6025 on: December 24, 2014, 07:50:15 PM »
Redline

dkdk

« Reply #6026 on: December 25, 2014, 09:54:49 PM »
is shirobako actually any good?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6027 on: December 25, 2014, 10:07:54 PM »
is shirobako actually any good?

It is, yeah.

Unless you work in an office and don't want to be reminded of those stresses in your entertainment.
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6028 on: December 26, 2014, 03:37:41 PM »
So it turns out Berserk is mostly on youtube. I've watched the first few episodes, and it's pretty fun. The low budget is the biggest flaw. I like the characters and the world a lot. Guts is a pretty great protagonist so far.

You're gonna regret starting Berserk after you watch the final episode.
dog

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #6029 on: December 26, 2014, 06:13:20 PM »
He could pick up the manga starting at volume 14. If he paces himself with one chapter a week or so they might be off the fucking ship by the time he catches up.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6030 on: December 27, 2014, 09:13:03 AM »
Something about Ghost in the Shell is really memorable. Can't get this movie out of my mind. I need to rewatch this ASAP.

It's the kind of movie that not everybody likes, but it really hit all the right notes for me and that's something that came out more during the watch than after the first time I watched it.
dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6031 on: December 27, 2014, 11:30:57 AM »
Something about Ghost in the Shell is really memorable. Can't get this movie out of my mind. I need to rewatch this ASAP.

Read the comics and see the full story/what's missing.
ど助平

« Reply #6032 on: December 27, 2014, 11:42:44 AM »

:noah :noah Track of the year. New GBF and Parastye on Christmas Eve :noah

when they said they were modernizing it, i wasn't expecting copious amounts of trap music in the anime too.  :lol
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 12:01:52 PM by doctavius bonbon »

Tasty

« Reply #6033 on: December 27, 2014, 04:00:41 PM »

:uguu :uguu :uguu :uguu

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #6034 on: December 27, 2014, 09:59:06 PM »
Crystal is pretty :scust, I had to drop that mess and just go back to watching Precure instead.
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #6035 on: December 27, 2014, 11:08:48 PM »
I've been enjoying Crystal. It feels like the DBZ Kai of Sailor Moon, just with way shittier animation. (I don't remember much about the story. My sister says Crystal is a pretty straight manga adaptation.)

An entire arc in 13 eps? I can fuck with that.  :obama

Tasty

« Reply #6036 on: December 29, 2014, 03:29:04 AM »

dkdk

« Reply #6037 on: December 30, 2014, 07:21:41 PM »
i hope the second half of FSN has more consistent action than the first half. get to the part where shit goes ham already.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6038 on: December 31, 2014, 11:59:36 AM »
Yes, Crunchyroll would get DDOS'd when I try the trial service.   :-\  Is this Lizard Squad too?
ど助平

« Reply #6039 on: December 31, 2014, 12:07:15 PM »
They said it was something similar to the PSN/XBL attacks on twitter, yeah.

Tasty

« Reply #6040 on: December 31, 2014, 05:04:53 PM »
WHY

What the fuck did Crunchyroll ever do?!

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #6041 on: January 05, 2015, 10:40:08 AM »
Just getting started on a couple old series: Full-Metal Alchemist, and thinking about Urusei Yatsura or Ranma... again. My son digs FMA after the first two eps, so I’m sticking with that for now.

Also enjoyed the art of Mad House’s HELLS, which had character designs by my hero, Yasushi Hirasawa.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6042 on: January 05, 2015, 10:44:32 AM »
Urusei Yatsura and Ranma are both so good.  I started reading Ranma when I was around 12 and it's what got me into all this manga/anime crap.  I only saw a handful of UY TV episodes but Ranma's animation quality takes a major nosedive after the first two seasons, IIRC.  It got so bad I stopped buying the tapes way back when.  Would recommend the first season of Ranma, the second if you really like it, then all the OVAs and movies.  The manga is much better.
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6043 on: January 05, 2015, 12:44:22 PM »
Urusei Yatsura's 2nd movie is legitimately great, as an anime movie and not just as a goofy comedy.
dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6044 on: January 05, 2015, 01:28:03 PM »
Urusei Yatsura's 2nd movie is legitimately great, as an anime movie and not just as a goofy comedy.

Yeah, and what's funny about it is that it's a Mamoru Oshii film.  He did a good job with wacky-ass UY but somehow made wacky-ass GiTS a snoozer. 
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6045 on: January 05, 2015, 01:54:20 PM »
Yeah, and what's funny about it is that it's a Mamoru Oshii film.  He did a good job with wacky-ass UY but somehow made wacky-ass GiTS a snoozer. 

Oshii went back and forth between goofy and serious a lot earlier in his career, but even before GitS it was becoming clear that he wanted to focus more on being serious. Outside of his live-action movies, I've enjoyed most of what he's done, so whatever.
dog

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #6046 on: January 05, 2015, 07:44:19 PM »
Kinda on a Netflix anime kick

Noragami This hits a genre that I've always enjoyed. I like the gods are real and depend on you for their success sort of deal. Kinda like a low rent kawaii Neil Gaiman story. Enjoyed the first season.

Psycho Pass a couple episodes in on this one, the premise is pretty interesting.

What else on there is worth my time? I've also already seen Attack on Titan and Knights of Cydonia

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6047 on: January 05, 2015, 08:32:06 PM »
Netflix really doesn't have very much, unfortunately.
dog

helios

« Reply #6048 on: January 05, 2015, 08:50:18 PM »
I finished a rewatch of Eureka Seven and that anime still holds up fantastically. The only weird thing was when a grown man hugs Renton and pushes his face into his bare, hairy chest and says, "This is how your papa smells." Creep as fuck.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #6049 on: January 06, 2015, 10:48:39 AM »
Lesbian Bear Storm, Episode 01

©@©™

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6050 on: January 06, 2015, 01:58:52 PM »
Did I ever talk about Expelled From Paradise?  No?  Let me talk about Expelled From Paradise.

This is a recently-released film that takes place far in the future.  Most of humanity has left Earth, but instead of exploring the stars, they all live in a massive space station called DEVA.  The kicker here is that everyone on this station has no physical body-- the humans here have had their brains 'digitized' and everyone lives in virtual reality, sort of like a voluntary Matrix.  A hacker gets into this environment and is found to be on Earth, so DEVA sends agents to investigate. 

The station has records of everyone's DNA, so it grows bodies for these agents to use when on Earth.  The main character, Angela Balzac (rhymes with "ball sack"), is eager to find the hacker first and the biggest share of the reward...credits, or free space, or whatever the hell currency is for them, so she doesn't wait for her body to grow to adult size and instead goes down to Earth in the body of a 16 year-old, AKA this is anime, so we can't have an adult big-tittied blonde woman running around and instead need a teenage big-tittied blonde girl with silly long hair and a higher-pitched voice running around in a 'futuristic' leotard-plugsuit thing, that looks entirely out of place on Earth (where the people are wearing regular ol' clothes) and gives the animators excuses to show jiggling titties and ass shots whenever possible.

This isn't moe crap though.  Angela meets her Earth-dwelling partner Dingo, an older more "normal" dude who helps her investigate the hacker.  The movie is pretty much split between Angela having no idea of what it's like to have a physical body and experiencing stuff for the first time and then action scenes, which I won't go into detail over because of spoilers.  Ditto for the hacker.  There's some cool mecha designs and the movie was fairly enjoyable, although the subtitled version I watched wasn't that great, but was serviceable.   

The movie had some hype behind it (maybe it was because of the animation, which is all CG) but I thought it was just decent.  Reminded me of a better, slightly less serious version of the recent Appleseed prequel movie, I.E. people running around in the desert ruins of old, destroyed cities, battling robots and shit. 

Spoilers on the plot/ending if anyone cares:
spoiler (click to show/hide)
The hacker is actually an AI that has gained sentience/emotion.  It is actually the AI of a massive space ark, designed for space exploration, whose construction was abandoned, presumably in favor of DEVA, a long time ago.  The AI has spent 100+ years gathering materials and is using an old missile launching site to send up materials to the ark, which is in a functional state and cloaked.  In an all-too predictable manner, DEVA's leaders are the bad guys and don't want the ark to leave.  Angela and Dingo help the AI to get the materials back to the ark and fight off other DEVA agents, who are all also scantily-clad women in mechs.  (Since no one else is depicted this way, I guess that's a DEVA thing.)  In the end, nobody goes with the AI on the ark, but it's basically said to be more "human" than anyone else anyway.  Angela will never return to DEVA and will stay on Earth, hence the title.  Yay and stuff.
[close]
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 02:08:06 PM by bork laser »
ど助平

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #6051 on: January 06, 2015, 02:31:07 PM »
Rage of Bahamut was dopesick. Really enjoyed it.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6052 on: January 06, 2015, 03:23:43 PM »
Rage of Bahamut was dopesick. Really enjoyed it.

Fun show all around.
ど助平

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #6053 on: January 06, 2015, 08:18:33 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)
That and the magical boy show are probably the shows of the season. :hyper Haven't watched the mb show yet tho.
Hi

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6054 on: January 06, 2015, 09:09:11 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

I don't know what happened, but I like it.
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6055 on: January 08, 2015, 09:22:35 AM »
What SAC, Dufus:

dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6056 on: January 08, 2015, 11:05:36 AM »
Speaking of which, there is a new Ghost In The Shell (not SAC) movie coming out this year.

ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6057 on: January 08, 2015, 11:58:38 AM »
Based on the character designs and crew, it'll probably be a sequel to the Arise OVAs.
dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6058 on: January 08, 2015, 03:26:12 PM »
Based on the character designs and crew, it'll probably be a sequel to the Arise OVAs.

Maybe...

The new movie is being produced in celebration of 25 years of Ghost in the Shell. It will premiere in Japan sometime early this Summer, and will be handled once again by the Production I.G. studio, which has a long history with the franchise.

Tow Ubukata, who wrote the Ghost in the Shell: Arise movies, will be writing the screenplay for the new film as well. Meanwhile, Kazuya Nomura (Robotics;Notes anime) will serve as director. Japanese recording artist Cornelius (GITS: Arise) will provide music.

http://kokaku-a.jp/

Plus the website has stuff for Arise on it.  Although I guess it would.
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6059 on: January 09, 2015, 04:39:42 PM »

:whew
dog