Author Topic: Anime-Booru Desu~ |OT|  (Read 1296928 times)

eleuin

• perennial loser

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
Re: Anime-Bore |OT| - Good anime: 1998-2007 RIP in peace
« Reply #7921 on: January 06, 2018, 04:36:53 AM »

Tasty

« Reply #7922 on: January 06, 2018, 11:38:56 AM »
Watched five eps of Devilman high. I was not prepared.

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #7923 on: January 06, 2018, 06:13:36 PM »
Go watch Pop Team Epic, some of these parodies are amazing  :lol

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #7924 on: January 06, 2018, 08:23:03 PM »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #7925 on: January 06, 2018, 08:30:26 PM »
Go watch Pop Team Epic, some of these parodies are amazing  :lol

Your life has been spared.
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #7926 on: January 06, 2018, 09:27:00 PM »
there's a new kino's journey? what the fuck
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7927 on: January 06, 2018, 09:37:40 PM »
there's a new kino's journey? what the fuck

It's not very good, though. :fbm
dog

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #7928 on: January 07, 2018, 12:42:53 AM »

(january 17th)

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
« Reply #7929 on: January 07, 2018, 07:51:02 AM »
The only bad thing about Devilman: crybaby is that it's only 10 episodes. Good stuff, I really want to check out the source material and other spin-offs now.

Great soundtrack too.
Boo

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7930 on: January 07, 2018, 10:02:49 AM »
Ended up marathon Devilman Crybaby and watched all 10 episodes last night.

And damn.  Just...damn.  Was not expecting it to go the way it did.

Not a show to watch if you're feeling down, just saying.   :lol

When episode nine ended, Netflix did not automatically prompt to go to the next episode, so we thought that was it and I couldn't believe that this was how they were ended things.  What a downer!  Then we noticed there was one left and when 10 ended...I couldn't believe that this was how they ended things.  What a downer!  :doge

Checked and the way things end is not something original, either- the manga series ended pretty much the same way.  They definitely changed a lot of things, but still stayed true to the source material in the end.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7931 on: January 07, 2018, 10:05:57 AM »
The only bad thing about Devilman: crybaby is that it's only 10 episodes. Good stuff, I really want to check out the source material and other spin-offs now.

Great soundtrack too.

The original 70s anime series is way more light hearted.  They changed up the ending to make it something more positive compared to Go Nagai's original.  He has made a lot of fucked-up shit and was the "inventor" of fucked-up/ecchi manga comics back in the late 60s with Harenchi Gakuen.  He is also billed as the creator of the "super robot" genre with Mazinger Z!  And then one of the first "magical girl" comics was Cutey Honey.  Amazing effect on the manga industry for sure.

I remember finding the Violence Jack OVAs pretty disturbing in the 90s.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7932 on: January 07, 2018, 10:22:06 AM »
Holy shit.  Spoiler for the end of Devilman and Violence Jack:
spoiler (click to show/hide)
"When it was originally published there were several hints that pointed out the relationship between Devilman and Violence Jack. The final chapter reveals that the apocalyptic world in Violence Jack is in a world re-created by God. Satan (Ryo Asuka) is punished by being constantly humiliated by Slum King (Zenon). Jack is actually Akira Fudo, and is one of three parts that form Devilman, the others being a child Jack and woman Jack, both of which were normally seen as birds around Jack from time to time. They merge in order to stop the recently awakened Satan. This time Devilman manages to stop Satan."
[close]

EDIT: Another site says that Nagai didn't like Violence Jack after completing it and said that it was its own story.  The true sequel to Devilman is Devilman Lady.

More spoilers:
"Eventually it is revealed that Lan [female version of Ryo] was actually born a male and is actually Jun's [Devilman Lady] half sibling. Later, Psycho Jenny reveals that Jun and Lan were actually defused aspects of Satan, who had gone into hiding after escaping the time loop that God had placed him/her in and the Archangel Michael went to hunt for him/her. It is also revealed that Michael had single-handedly set up the H.A. to tackle with any Demons or Devil Beasts and to keep Devilman under God's control. Akira returns and reluctantly joins forces with Satan and battles against the forces of God, the winner is not revealed instead ending on a climax of the two great armies drawing to battle."
[close]
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 10:39:43 AM by Dos Locos Tacos »
ど助平

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 12:42:34 PM by toku »

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
Re: Anime-Bore |OT| - Je Suis un Devilman aussi
« Reply #7935 on: January 09, 2018, 03:58:31 PM »
New episode of Overlord is up on crunchyroll. :rejoice
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 12:05:35 PM by D3RANG3D »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #7936 on: January 09, 2018, 04:13:26 PM »
©@©™

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #7939 on: January 09, 2018, 08:47:43 PM »
devilman was lame

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #7940 on: January 09, 2018, 08:52:46 PM »

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #7941 on: January 09, 2018, 10:17:52 PM »
Not my fault Yuasa is a mediocre director  :trumps

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7942 on: January 09, 2018, 10:24:12 PM »
 :bolo
dog

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #7943 on: January 09, 2018, 10:29:00 PM »
Not my fault Yuasa is a mediocre director  :trumps

Himu

« Reply #7944 on: January 09, 2018, 10:44:45 PM »
What is good modern non super power related animu that is LOGH/Bebop/SAC/Gank like. As in (for the most part) takes itself seriously, is well directed, and good.

I might just rewatch Kaiba and Kemonozume or something after LOGH rewatch.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 10:58:06 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #7945 on: January 09, 2018, 10:45:46 PM »
Who are these two animu chicks and why are they flipping me off all the time
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #7946 on: January 09, 2018, 11:16:15 PM »
Casshern Sins maybe.

Himu

« Reply #7947 on: January 09, 2018, 11:18:25 PM »
Yamato 2199 was great. It had its moments with wacky jappy uguu fanservice and the occasional maid outfit spliced with a very annoying comedic relief doctor but for most part the characters acted like human beings. Great anime. Lupin III: Fujiko Mine was also excellent.

I looked at Casshern Sins on google image search and the imagery looks like the kind of thing I'm trying to avoid tbh. I'll watch a trailer on youtube.

Might have to see what good anime films have been made the past few years I've been out of the loop to see if anything worth any salt has been made. Haven't seen that Ghibli movie with the sumi-e art. Need to check that.
IYKYK

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #7948 on: January 10, 2018, 12:12:07 AM »
Yamato 2199 was great. It had its moments with wacky jappy uguu fanservice and the occasional maid outfit spliced with a very annoying comedic relief doctor but for most part the characters acted like human beings. Great anime. Lupin III: Fujiko Mine was also excellent.

I looked at Casshern Sins on google image search and the imagery looks like the kind of thing I'm trying to avoid tbh. I'll watch a trailer on youtube.

Might have to see what good anime films have been made the past few years I've been out of the loop to see if anything worth any salt has been made. Haven't seen that Ghibli movie with the sumi-e art. Need to check that.

first ep is on yt subbed, if you don't like it don't watch the rest:

Tasty

« Reply #7949 on: January 10, 2018, 12:19:32 AM »
Casshern Sins is AAA.

Bebpo

« Reply #7950 on: January 10, 2018, 01:48:19 AM »
Finished devilman crybaby, well that sure was a thing.

Was good I guess, definitely entertaining and looked nice. Good music. Didn't mind the plot stuff/gore/T&A because that's Go Nagai and was expected. But 2nd half just felt super super rushed since all the actual story/plot is basically condensed to 5 eps. I like Yuasa as a director and it sorta felt like he did this show fast guns blazing. Reminded me of Kemonozume but without the dark humor and more measured paced.

I'd probably go Tatami Galaxy > Kemonozume > Night is short, Walk on Girl > Devilman Crybaby > Mind Game > Kaiba for the stuff I've seen that Yuasa's directed. Still need to finish Ping Pong and watch Lu over the Wall. Kaiba's gorgeous but I fell asleep every ep because it was so boring. I don't even remember if I finished it.

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #7951 on: January 10, 2018, 02:21:18 AM »
Youjo Senki Film is happening

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

Rahxephon91

« Reply #7953 on: January 10, 2018, 03:42:31 AM »
Well Devilman Crybaby was pretty much the best anime I've seen forever.

Himu

« Reply #7954 on: January 10, 2018, 05:12:27 AM »
I'd probably go Tatami Galaxy > Kemonozume > Night is short, Walk on Girl > Devilman Crybaby > Mind Game > Kaiba for the stuff I've seen that Yuasa's directed. Still need to finish Ping Pong and watch Lu over the Wall. Kaiba's gorgeous but I fell asleep every ep because it was so boring. I don't even remember if I finished it.

That's all you had to say. You know I'm as a stan for that work. I think. The fact Mind Game never got licensed is still one of animes biggest sins. Devilman Crybaby next. Then I'll go on a Yuasa binge because :heartbeat

Mind Game the GOAT.
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #7955 on: January 10, 2018, 10:16:46 AM »
Here are my reviews for all the anime I watched this weekened:

A Place Farther Than the Universe 01 & 02

:uguu

Laid Back Camp 01

Slow Start 01

Toji no Miko 01

:zzz

Ms. Koizumi Loves Ramen 01

:delicious

citrus 01

:trigger

Junji Ito Collection 01

:preach

The Ryuo's Work is Never Done 01

:jared

Pop Team Epic 01

:doge

Devilman Crybaby 01 - 10

:gladbron :dead :whew :noah :whoo :rejoice :ohhh :oreilly :phil :tocry :brazilcry :mjcry :mjcry :mjcry
©@©™

paprikastaude

« Reply #7956 on: January 10, 2018, 11:39:54 AM »
I wish Devilman Crybaby was something I could like more than I do. But I really can not take the fucking high school prodigies and innocent high school love interests anymore. Or some dumb conflict about how one's friend is better at sports. I've recently noticed that I now perceive animes I've watched back in the day much worse, now that I started to notice that they are all brimful with the tritest high school tropes.

Thank god Cowboy Bebop was completely free of that shit.  :rejoice forever the GOAT.

Himu

« Reply #7957 on: January 10, 2018, 12:00:10 PM »
I wish Devilman Crybaby was something I could like more than I do. But I really can not take the fucking high school prodigies and innocent high school love interests anymore. Or some dumb conflict about how one's friend is better at sports. I've recently noticed that I now perceive animes I've watched back in the day much worse, now that I started to notice that they are all brimful with the tritest high school tropes.

Thank god Cowboy Bebop was completely free of that shit.  :rejoice forever the GOAT.

That's the shit I'm talking about and have no idea how any anime fan past 25 can still stomach it.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #7958 on: January 10, 2018, 12:30:40 PM »
The first five minutes of Casshern Sins is like playing Final Fantasy XIII. You're introduced to this world right in the middle of the action so you get a bunch of nonsensical action. No context is really given, or why you should care. "Kill Casshern!" = Lightning fights a bunch of robots, why should any one care because I have no idea what is going on and what the fuck is Pulse? The same is true here as Cassherns kills a bunch of faceless people. The tone is decidedly serious but at the same time cheesy, like it has anime all over it.

It stinks.

IYKYK

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #7959 on: January 10, 2018, 12:39:17 PM »
Watched the first couple episodes of Devilman with my wife last night, after the first episode she was like “ well I’d be okay with watching it if they’re all like that “ referring to sex n blood

:rejoice

Tasty

« Reply #7960 on: January 10, 2018, 12:44:11 PM »
Are you sure you're not watching the 70s version Himu :thinking

Also there are some fight scenes but they're not the real meat of Sins.

Himu

« Reply #7961 on: January 10, 2018, 01:15:05 PM »
I lasted longer watching Devilman Crybaby until a bunch of dudes started rapping on a ship port and then turned it off. I have zero toleration for anime bs with the high school setting and super talented athletes and random sex hijinks and messed up characters with weird ticks who randomly cries at things. "Anime is trash" seems to continue to prove to be true. Continuing LOGH rewatch.
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #7962 on: January 10, 2018, 01:27:47 PM »

That's the shit I'm talking about and have no idea how any anime fan past 25 can still stomach it.

Just wait until you reach the highest plane Cindi, it's great.  :cody
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #7963 on: January 10, 2018, 01:39:27 PM »
I've been watching anime since 1997 and I got tired of what I described as far back as Onegai Twins and Green Green tbh. :beli

I'm watching that video and have pretty clearly skipped a few stages. That video seems to be directed towards the new anime fans tbh. Not someone old like us.
IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #7964 on: January 10, 2018, 01:46:39 PM »
How much of Devilman: Crybaby did you guys even watch if this is the way you guys describe the anime...

Himu

« Reply #7965 on: January 10, 2018, 01:48:45 PM »
Where is the "most anime is trash, therefore most anime fans have shit taste, so I can only trust maybe 2-3 people who have similar taste as me and we all riff on each other and suggest each other titles of taste" phase?
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7966 on: January 10, 2018, 01:48:57 PM »
What is good modern non super power related animu that is LOGH/Bebop/SAC/Gank like. As in (for the most part) takes itself seriously, is well directed, and good.

Parasyte
Psycho-Pass
Mushishi
ACCA 13
Drifters
Blood Blockade Battlefront
Death Parade
dog

Himu

« Reply #7967 on: January 10, 2018, 01:52:12 PM »
I've watched Psycho-Pass, Mushi-shi, and Drifters sounds familiar but I haven't watched it. I'll watch the trailers for the rest later.
IYKYK

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #7968 on: January 10, 2018, 01:52:23 PM »

Parasyte
Psycho-Pass
Mushishi
ACCA 13
Drifters
Blood Blockade Battlefront
Death Parade

I second these, can't speak on the un-bolded since I haven't watched em.

Himu

« Reply #7969 on: January 10, 2018, 01:55:24 PM »
Re-reading my suggestion query and then Toku's Casshern Sins suggestion. Was I being trolled? :rofl
IYKYK

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #7970 on: January 10, 2018, 01:55:42 PM »
I love Mushishi. Psycho-Pass S1 was OK. Dropped S2 partway through. Parasyte is good action, with some heart.

paprikastaude

« Reply #7971 on: January 10, 2018, 01:56:21 PM »
How much of Devilman: Crybaby did you guys even watch if this is the way you guys describe the anime...

All of it. :yeshrug It could have been cool for everything else, if it wasn't for dumb high schoolers. You can only go so far without good characters. I.e.:
I couldn't care less if yet another waifu gets killed/beheaded for shock value, because she was just an unbelievable and uninteresting trope. Surprise, the best part of the actual story was the father-guy facing his monster son, not shitty high school hijinx
[close]
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 02:01:18 PM by Spieler1 »

Himu

« Reply #7972 on: January 10, 2018, 02:08:23 PM »
Parasyte looks too fantastical for me in the trailer.
Psycho-Pass is good, not great.
Mushi-shi is great.
ACCA 13 has a good sense of style, seems to have a serious tone but the trailer doesn't really tell me much besides its style, not much on whether it has substance. I'll have to read a summary to see if it's worth watching.
Drifters looks too fantastical. The idea of the Battle of Sekigahara animated excited me and was hoping it'd be a Sengoku period piece anime. That's different for anime. That'd interest me. Of course, some sci-fi anime dog shit happens, losing its grounded feel. I'll give it the two episode test because it's made by Hellsing Ultimate staff.
Blood Blockade Battlefront looks like your average edgy anime. Pass.
Death Parade looks like another fantastical and not grounded anime. But it looks dramatic and mysterious. I'll give it a go.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7973 on: January 10, 2018, 02:11:47 PM »
Blood Blockade Battlefront looks like your average edgy anime.

It's really not. Like, at all.

But it is a fantastic series.
dog

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #7974 on: January 10, 2018, 02:17:13 PM »
Watch the Rakugo anime instead. The action scenes are a guy dramatically reading a story to the public.

Himu

« Reply #7975 on: January 10, 2018, 02:23:57 PM »
FYI, "takes itself serious" doesn't really mean, uh, edge. Edge is the fastest way for me to not take an anime seriously. Kino's Journey took itself seriously. Now and Then Here and There, that's a title that takes itself seriously. Even when something is fantasy or out of this world, it should feel grounded. Like it belongs. One thing I notice about modern anime is that almost absolutely none of it takes itself seriously in that Bebop, SAC, Kino's Journey sort of way. It's just a bunch of ridiculousness one series after the other. Nothing is grounded. Just endless fantasy shit and super powers and fucked up situations.

Anime continues to be shit.

Fuck, I need me a Gundam. Gundam is always grounded and takes itself seriously. Forever reliable, ol' Gundam. I'm skipping all of this and just watching Blood Orphans and Origin tbh.

IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #7976 on: January 10, 2018, 02:26:17 PM »
Maybe it's not the anime that's shit.

:expert

(Go watch the goddamn Rakugo show.)

paprikastaude

« Reply #7977 on: January 10, 2018, 02:38:05 PM »
Bring MONSTER to Netflix.

Bebpo

« Reply #7978 on: January 10, 2018, 02:47:14 PM »
I lasted longer watching Devilman Crybaby until a bunch of dudes started rapping on a ship port and then turned it off. I have zero toleration for anime bs with the high school setting and super talented athletes and random sex hijinks and messed up characters with weird ticks who randomly cries at things. "Anime is trash" seems to continue to prove to be true. Continuing LOGH rewatch.

Wait, the rappers turned you off? I thought having solid Japanese rap (and rappers as part of the cast) was pretty refreshing and one of the highlights of the show.

Fuck, I need me a Gundam. Gundam is always grounded and takes itself seriously. Forever reliable, ol' Gundam. I'm skipping all of this and just watching Blood Orphans and Origin tbh.

I love Gundam but  :lol

At least IBO is grounded and should fit your expectations outside a few weaker arcs in the middle. IBO is a great show.

Himu

« Reply #7979 on: January 10, 2018, 02:52:13 PM »

Wait, the rappers turned you off? I thought having solid Japanese rap (and rappers as part of the cast) was pretty refreshing and one of the highlights of the show.

I love Gundam but  :lol

At least IBO is grounded and should fit your expectations outside a few weaker arcs in the middle. IBO is a great show.

Correction: the Gundams that I like are grounded and take themselves seriously.*

:P
IYKYK