Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1519039 times)

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 02:49:23 AM by Stoney Mason »

seagrams hotsauce

Re: The NBA thread (2nd Round begins)
« Reply #20041 on: May 04, 2018, 02:49:57 AM »
let's talk about how bron might wind up on the sixers pls

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #20042 on: May 04, 2018, 09:49:07 AM »
Those Lebron fadeaways are just filthy.  :lawd
©ZH

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20043 on: May 04, 2018, 12:27:15 PM »
Random thoughs

Terry Rozier Playoff averages

19 pts. 7 ast  1.4 turnovers 44% from 3.  Per 22.50

Ridiculous and nuts that the Celtics can just manufacture this kind of performance and player. And when you use the eye test he looks god damn good too.

There was another swooping layup he did past Embiid that was gorgeous last night.

Just a few days ago.

Vegas odds for teams making the finals.

Eastern Conference

Code: [Select]
Team                      Odds
Philadelphia 76ers        6/5
Toronto Raptors                8/5
Cleveland Cavaliers       17/4
Boston Celtics                18/1

Now

Code: [Select]
Team                         Odds
Cleveland Cavaliers          5/4
Boston Celtics                  5/2
Philadelphia 76ers          5/2
Toronto Raptors                 10/1

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/5/4/17317118/houston-rockets-james-harden-chris-paul-style-playoffs

You know I decided pretty early on in the season that I would root for the Rockets when they inevitably matched up against the Warriors in what are the real nba finals. But I just don't think I can do it. I mean the Warriors are a dynasty so dominant they have stomped out the competitive fires of the nba but they play basketball in an aesthetically pleasing manner I enjoy to watch. The Rockets are just not fun for me in that way. And that last game against the Jazz solidified it. They play basketball in a way that amps up everything statistically smart to do. And I totally get that and respect that. I just can't stand all the flopping and faking and the way its consistently rewarded by the refs.

It reminds me of the rip thru move. The rip thru move back in the day was this smart thing that smart offensive players occasionally did to school a less aware defensive player. You saw it occasionally and you felt good because it was like a smart player being rewarded for gaming the system in a way. But then everybody started doing it and the good players got so good at it, that it became super annoying to watch because it doesn't feel like how basketball should be played all the time. The Rockets are like that. They are the scientifically engineered version of the rip through move used dozens and dozens of times in a game. It's smart. They are good. They have pioneered a new way to play basketball that is super viable. It just doesn't motivate me to root for them. I'd rather watch everybody else left in the playoffs than them and it makes me hate watch them and root for the Jazz even though the Jazz have no realistic shot at the Warriors compared to the rockets imo.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20044 on: May 04, 2018, 09:42:17 PM »
Pelicans putting it on. I think most people kind of thought the Warriors would come in and just finish up the sweep.

etiolate

« Reply #20045 on: May 04, 2018, 09:45:31 PM »
JRue the third best guard in these playoffs? 2nd if you demote Curry for missing the first series? Or is Mitchell third?

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #20046 on: May 04, 2018, 10:26:51 PM »
Fuuuuuuck yaaaaaaaa

bluemax

« Reply #20047 on: May 04, 2018, 11:32:25 PM »
The Raptors are looking like the Clippers. They should probably just blow the team up now instead of going through the motions for 2 more seasons like the Clippers did.
NO

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #20048 on: May 05, 2018, 07:19:49 PM »
:bow :bow :bow Rajon :bow2 :bow2 :bow2

I wish they could just trade Rondo to whatever team is playing Golden State the rest of the playoffs so he can haunt them like some kind of vengeful specter. Pulling for you, NOLA.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20049 on: May 05, 2018, 07:33:17 PM »
Good shot to send it to OT

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20050 on: May 05, 2018, 07:35:04 PM »
lol premature confetti

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20051 on: May 05, 2018, 07:56:10 PM »
nice steal for Horford. Boston 3-0. Surprising.

etiolate

« Reply #20052 on: May 05, 2018, 08:02:02 PM »
Despite of all the injuries and trades, it's still going to be Boston v Cleveland in the ECF.

West playoffs remain far more interesting. And I offer this debate: Would you take any of the four current Western teams over Cavs or Boston?

Nola

« Reply #20053 on: May 05, 2018, 09:43:41 PM »
Just saw an alert that Kerr is/was apparently whining about Rondo being a dirty player. lol... I guess a 85 to 32 FT discrepancy in your favor isn’t a comfortable enough spotting by the refs.

Also  :neogaf :neogaf :cmonson at a team trying to whine about on the court behavior with Draymond “The Groin Goon” on your roster.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #20054 on: May 05, 2018, 11:02:27 PM »
he learned from the best
https://twitter.com/philjackson11/status/317031514011496449

spoiler (click to show/hide)

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20055 on: May 05, 2018, 11:21:20 PM »
Game winner by Lebron with no time left on the clock but honestly it was probably the least climatic game winner I've ever seen which is not to take anything away from Lebron. At no point in the game did you think Toronto had a chance. Even if he missed it, you felt like Cleveland 100% was gonna win in overtime. It wasn't even an especially good Cleveland game. Toronto is just mind-fucked.

agrajag

« Reply #20056 on: May 05, 2018, 11:22:34 PM »
LeGoat

Stoney Mason

Let's Cyber

« Reply #20058 on: May 06, 2018, 03:37:34 AM »
I still remember all the shit talking from Toronto fans 2 years ago when Jonas Valanciunas was injured for the ECF.

:smug "You know, if Jonas was healthy we'd totally have won this series."  :smug

They're 0-7 against the Cavs in the playoffs since then.  :teehee

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20059 on: May 06, 2018, 03:39:52 AM »
https://www.gameframesports.com/

nice little site if you miss any of the games

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20060 on: May 06, 2018, 01:48:10 PM »
Looks like I was wrong on both of my picks on the Eastern Conference.  :derp

Honestly the Celtics one is less surprising to me than the Cavs. While I picked the 76ers based on talent, they are so young and lack the structure the celtics have. The celts defense is top notch and they have a great structured offense.

It's not as if the Cavs had no chance in the series but there is no way I would have ever thought it would be this easy. I don't tend to like analysis based on psychology. I think basketball teams generally win or lose for basketball reasons involving execution. And not the hot take narrative world of X player wanted it more kind of bs. There are absolutely basketball reasons why the Cavs are beating the Raptors but its so weird when the eye test doesn't match what you've seen all season.

Lebron just plays a better, smarter brand of basketball in the playoffs is one takeaway I have. Lebron is great obviously but during the season, he clearly conserves his energy more on both ends and he tries riskier stuff. He'll attempt showy passes that he just won't attempt in the playoffs for example that will lead to turnovers. That part is clearly noticeable. Kevin Love now seems to be either pushing the smaller players the raptors put on him, or out quicking somebody like Jonas Valanciunas. This has to be a specific matchup kink because he does this against nobody else. Against everybody else he is a perimeter player who only knocks down wide open 3's. And George Hill is getting all kind of penetration that he doesn't get against nearly anybody else.

So the large takeaway is that the Raptors defense is pretty suspect especially against this matchup. It's just weird that this wasn't more obvious and exploited during more of the season by other teams. I know the Raptors fell off somewhat in the latter part of the season but I had no idea the problems were so fundamental.

Stoney Mason

Re: The NBA thread (The collapse of the Philadelphia Raptors)
« Reply #20061 on: May 06, 2018, 03:05:52 PM »

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #20062 on: May 06, 2018, 08:10:54 PM »
Poor timing for a bad game. considering how bad they were shooting it was pretty good that it was somewhat 'competitive' for the second quarterish, but went off the rails. We'll see what happens next.  :doge

etiolate

« Reply #20063 on: May 06, 2018, 11:14:58 PM »
Raptors should blow it up, but they're paying secondary guys like they're superstars. Who is going to take those contracts?

agrajag

« Reply #20064 on: May 07, 2018, 10:16:29 PM »
Raptors are pathetic

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20065 on: May 07, 2018, 10:53:08 PM »
Rarely do you beat a time and feel a little sad about it. I like Toronto and the Coach but this series was a grade school bully beatdown.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20066 on: May 08, 2018, 12:48:29 AM »
Rarely do you beat a time and feel a little sad about it. I like Toronto and the Coach but this series was a grade school bully beatdown.

God I wish I could watch LeBron and Kevin Love dp your asshole, you fanboy sack of shit.

Who are you?

etiolate

« Reply #20067 on: May 08, 2018, 02:15:24 AM »
Since it went overlooked the SVG enterprise in Detroit died.

He should have went with Boogie.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20068 on: May 08, 2018, 05:59:05 AM »
After the Cavs swept the Pistons in 2015-2016 playoffs I was really impressed by them. All 4 games were super close and I thought that team was going somewhere. That turned out to be the high point. They never got back to the playoffs.

As far as the Raptors, I'm not sure what you do there. I'm generally not a fan of blowing it up unless your team is too old or a superstar leaves you, etc. Something where you clearly have no path forward. Neither of those two specific situations fits them. That being said, I understand that its not psychologically viable for the fanbase to just roll it back one more time. I just feel like throwing away the certainty of a good roster for the hope of a quick rebuild is a chancy gamble. Some teams take a lot longer than you would ever expect to get good again. And while its super disappointing to feel like you keep running into the same brick wall, it's even more disappointing to watch a shitty brand of basketball like the magic play year after year. 

T-Short

• hooker strangler
地平線

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20070 on: May 08, 2018, 03:28:19 PM »
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23441765/rodney-hood-apologize-cleveland-cavaliers-refusing-enter-game

Funny enough, I was going to make a post a few days ago specifically talking about how poorly he and clarkson were playing but since the sweep was happening at that time, it seemed kind of irrelevant.

There is always that honeymoon post any trade where you see only the good of a player and you wonder how the other team could have traded him. The Cavs trade was definitely instructional on that accord as for like a week or two after that trade, I thought Clarkson was a mini-Kyrie. And then as time went on, you see the complete side of a player good and bad. Not that a player is trash. But you see their limitations and flaws much more clearly. I'm sure its the same with the players the cavs sent out. 

Let's Cyber

« Reply #20071 on: May 08, 2018, 04:21:01 PM »
I don't watch a ton of Jazz games so I wasn't familiar with Hood but it sure sounded like some were high on him. From NBC before the trade...
Plenty of teams are interested. The 25-year-old shooting guard is a strong 3-point shooter, and his 6-foot-8 frame helps defensively. He’s also a good ball-handler, which suggests an ability to grow into an even bigger role.
Sounds like a good fit for what the Cavs needed. So to see him show up and look so awful has been surprising for me.

But then you read stuff like this...
Quote from: TheAthletic
When these playoffs began, an opposing executive texted me “(Hood) is not built for this,” meaning the postseason. Now we’re seeing why.
:kobeyuck

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20072 on: May 08, 2018, 04:46:54 PM »
Physically hood is exactly what you want. That is what caught my eye initially when he came over. I was like what a steal. A 6-7, 3 and D young wing. Perfect!

After watching him play for awhile, I thought his offensive basketball IQ isn't very good. He does weird things with the ball at weird times. His handle isn't particularly very good either which might be causing some of that issue. He is a little awkward movement wise and he is a super streaky confidence kind of player. If he misses his early shots, he's done for the night. He is not the type who suddenly salvages a rough night. He was good right after the trade. Went into a funk after that. And seemed to recover somewhat at the end of the season. He's looked mostly lost in the playoffs.

Clarkson is the more frustrating one. He absolutely has offensive skills. But his entire game is geared only for himself kind of like a Jamal Crawford or something. His passing and vision don't exist. He was the best player off the bench from the trade until the end of the regular season. But once the playoffs started, his offensive output nosedived. He can't seem to get into the flow of anything. It's just him jacking shots trying to find a rhythm and his penetration ability has gone away for whatever reason. They have zero shot against the Warriors anyway if it goes that far but they have less than zero when those two young players can't contribute anything. The Warriors are like pure death to the old ass cavs so they need to get something from them, if they even want to be competitive in the finals.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20073 on: May 08, 2018, 08:59:07 PM »
Playing the Rockets must be the most annoying thing in the world and I mean that as a compliment to them. They didn't play an especially good half. They were shooting pretty badly from 3. Get hot right before the half and go into it with a decent lead.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20074 on: May 08, 2018, 09:42:09 PM »
Terrific mitchell quarter

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20076 on: May 08, 2018, 10:05:08 PM »
Mitchell. Hurt.

It's over.

Good run for the Jazz.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20077 on: May 08, 2018, 10:09:51 PM »
Chris Paul

:leon

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20078 on: May 08, 2018, 10:17:27 PM »
On one hand Paul was amazing. On the other hand Harden was worryingly bad in a big game.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20080 on: May 08, 2018, 11:35:35 PM »

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #20081 on: May 08, 2018, 11:54:41 PM »
Glad for CP3.

If pels can make it close past the 3rd we ok.

etiolate

« Reply #20082 on: May 09, 2018, 12:09:40 AM »
Warriors put away so many games in the 3rd quarter.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20083 on: May 09, 2018, 12:18:39 AM »
Warriors gonna warrior.

Pels had a fine season also.

Rockets versus Warriors is what everybody was waiting for. That's the real NBA finals from the day the season started. Fascinating series. Warriors will be the clear favorite but Rockets have the best chance of anybody. I think they are slightly too dependent on Harden for it to happen realistically but should be fun.

Let's Cyber

« Reply #20084 on: May 09, 2018, 12:38:58 AM »
I'd love for the Rockets to push the Warriors but I don't trust them on the big stage. Harden completely fell apart last year in game 6 against the Spurs and CP3 has been held in check in big games before too (Like game 7 against the Jazz last playoffs). If the Raptors taught us anything, teams need to prove that they have actually arrived before anointing them. The Rockets haven't accomplished anything yet besides an outstanding regular season. Now is the time to step up. 

Hopefully home court helps to get them off to a good 2 game start.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20085 on: May 09, 2018, 12:51:28 AM »
I don't want to downplay the rockets. In a normal nba environment that team would be the favorite to win a title and they would be the team I would pick. The warriors just aren't a normal nba environment. Durant fundamentally changed that team into arguably the greatest team in history by a pretty good margin. So beating them in a 7 game series just isn't a normal thing. They are too athletic, too long, too quick, too good at shooting 3's and playing the modern game to really ever pick against.

If the Rockets win that series, that is truly an amazing thing. At least the Rockets have home court. They will have to milk that for all its worth. Those first two games in Houston are gonna be bonkers. If they can get up 2-0, I think that's huge. If its 1-1, I just feel like that's not enough. You have to punch the Warriors right in the mouth from jump or else they will just roll and feel no pressure.

Akala

• Easy Victor
Re: The NBA thread (Infinity War: Rockets versus Warriors)
« Reply #20086 on: May 09, 2018, 01:00:38 AM »
Pels played awesomish at least 👏

Swept Portland and were at least respectable against dubs IMO.

KINDA pulling for CP3 at this point but also bron lol

Nola

« Reply #20087 on: May 09, 2018, 01:00:51 AM »
Yeah and honestly I just feel like the Warriors are a more well rounded team over a 7 game series.

Durant, Curry, Thompson, Green >> Harden, Paul, Capella, Gordon. Especially when you factor in that the Warriors are going to get the championship treatment that will hinder Harden's game.

As for the Pels, have to say I'm not even mad. They put up a good fight and are an entire round past where I realistically would of expected them to fall after Cousins. After Cousins went down I thought our best chance was limping into the playoffs and stealing a few games. Just have to find a way to build on this, hope Cousins comes back strong, and maybe if the all things fall the right way, convince one more major player to think New Orleans showed enough dog in their fight to want to find a way down here.

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #20088 on: May 09, 2018, 01:06:11 AM »
The biggest obstacle the warriors have run into this season has been motivation and injuries. Have to imagine they’ll treat this rockets series like it’s their finals

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20089 on: May 09, 2018, 07:07:39 PM »
3-0 is obviously a death knell in the NBA but if there was a situation I would ever bet money on a comeback if my life depended on it, it would be this philly/boston series.

Boston now has lost shane larkin. I mean I know Shane Larkin is no big deal, but they are just running out of bodies period.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 07:25:08 PM by Stoney Mason »

Let's Cyber

« Reply #20090 on: May 09, 2018, 07:33:46 PM »
Yeah, I would not be at all shocked if Philly came back.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20091 on: May 09, 2018, 09:50:52 PM »
76ers coming unglued here in the 3rd quarter

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20092 on: May 09, 2018, 10:49:57 PM »
Good game.

Philly was up by 4 with around a minute left. Boston is just out executing them down the stretch.

agrajag

« Reply #20093 on: May 09, 2018, 10:51:09 PM »
 :lawd

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20094 on: May 09, 2018, 11:00:23 PM »
Cavs versus Boston.

What a weird eastern conference finals. I mean this is what you would have predicted at the beginning of the season but you certainly wouldn't have predicted the path they both took.

agrajag

« Reply #20095 on: May 09, 2018, 11:07:26 PM »
I think LeBron is gonna sweep Boston. As much heart as they showed this series, it's not going to be enough to stop him.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20096 on: May 09, 2018, 11:23:09 PM »
I'll pick the cavs but I have no idea how many games. Boston with their defense is like an unknowable factor.

agrajag

« Reply #20097 on: May 09, 2018, 11:44:26 PM »
Plus aren't most of their best players injured? Could have had a fun Bron Vs. Irving series but Irving's injured.

Yeah Irving and Hayward. If they were both playing I would expect them to beat Cavs

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #20098 on: May 10, 2018, 01:46:57 AM »
jeez at this rate lebron is going to have ~5 finals losses to just the warriors by the end of his career

Nola

« Reply #20099 on: May 10, 2018, 03:08:20 PM »
Former GM David Griffin on his experience with Lebron James:

"There’s literally nothing you can show him that he can’t do. There’s no play you’ll run against him he can’t name, and then go out there and teach your players how to do it better than anyone else," Griffin said on a recent episode of the Bill Simmons Podcast.

"I was in the gym when I watched him on the floor against Toronto tell Patrick Patterson where he was supposed to go on the play they had called out of a timeout late in the fourth quarter. He was like ‘no Pat, you’re supposed to stand over there and set a pin down for DeMar (DeRozan) over here.'"

:mynicca