Author Topic: minor inconveniences that are not struggles  (Read 921415 times)

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
Re: minor inconviences that are not struggles
« Reply #2880 on: August 24, 2016, 08:28:54 AM »
So hard not to correct people sometimes and tell them they are wrong.

Not talking about opinions here just facts like dates, names, percentages, numbers. And people just quoting anecdotal BS as counter points.

Just letting the ignorance wash over me while biting my lip.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #2881 on: August 24, 2016, 12:39:35 PM »
Fucking kill me.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2882 on: August 24, 2016, 01:27:33 PM »
I generally charge $5000 but for a fellow Borean?  $6000

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #2883 on: August 24, 2016, 01:46:48 PM »
I generally charge $5000 but for a fellow Borean?  $6000

Do you except €'s?
YMMV

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2884 on: August 24, 2016, 11:38:27 PM »
Here we go.  bragging about your wealth again.  So rich you can have people killed.

And yes. 

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #2885 on: August 25, 2016, 05:45:02 AM »
:doge

Takuan

« Reply #2886 on: August 25, 2016, 12:55:31 PM »
It's lunch time, but I'm not hungry because I had a croissant sandwich and donut not too long ago.

I'm debating what to eat, but there's nothing particularly appealing in the area.  :(

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2887 on: August 25, 2016, 10:45:38 PM »
Rear brake pedal was vibrating and making noises on my way home. So I pulled the brake and two pistons are frozen out and won't compress. I foresee my weekend consisting of draining the rear brake system and installing a new caliper. Those fuckers are really stuck and they don't make rebuild kits for these stupid Brembo OEM brakes.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2888 on: August 26, 2016, 06:32:53 PM »
brakes are a lot easier to fix on bicycles... just sayin' :doge
Yeah but then I'd have die because no one respects bicycle riders.

Ended up fixing it.

studyguy

« Reply #2889 on: August 26, 2016, 06:35:40 PM »
I need to get a new mattress, but in the future of every marketing campaign throwing some bullshit at you, it all looks too similar and overpriced. I'm gonna just order two giant pieces of foam from China, staple them together and sleep on them.
pause

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2890 on: August 27, 2016, 12:06:26 AM »
Holy fuck. I always say that the week around my birthday is "hell week" because luck goes bad then but this whole fucking August has been awful.

- Had to get a new car to replace the old
- Phone died had to get a new phone
- Wife's got a bladder infection AND a kidney stone to boot
- Company lost 3 RFPs
- Got stuck in L.A.
- Then just tonight my water heater leaked. Not only is it likely dead, there is water EVERYWHERE. There's certainly going to be water damage

I can't wait for this month to end.
que

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #2891 on: August 27, 2016, 12:14:36 AM »
Accidently sent a friend request to someone (who shares a bunch of mutual friends with me but I've never met before) due to my fat thumbs and my tiny phone screen.  :noah

And I only became aware of this when I got a notification on my phone that this person accepted it and I was all "OH FUCK!  :doge "

Told her what happened, she understood, and I peaced out.

Now I'm all anxious as fuck. Fuck social media.   :-\  :doge

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2892 on: August 27, 2016, 12:59:42 AM »
Accidently sent a friend request to someone (who shares a bunch of mutual friends with me but I've never met before) due to my fat thumbs and my tiny phone screen.  :noah

And I only became aware of this when I got a notification on my phone that this person accepted it and I was all "OH FUCK!  :doge "

Told her what happened, she understood, and I peaced out.

Now I'm all anxious as fuck. Fuck social media.   :-\  :doge

Fat thumbs: Another reason to stick to your diet.

Edit: shit, sorry, that sounds mean. I just meant... oh, nevermind. PEACE OUT.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2893 on: August 27, 2016, 01:02:02 AM »
Why would you even say anything?

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #2894 on: August 27, 2016, 01:21:19 AM »
Rational thought leaves my body in these scenarios. Also, I've been drinking tonight.

Also, people talk and I don't want people assuming things without my side of the story.

Plausible deniability and what not. :doge

El Babua

« Reply #2895 on: August 27, 2016, 01:27:34 AM »
Is there something you're not telling us, or is just adding some chick randomly on Facebook haram in your part of South Cac Lac?

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #2896 on: August 27, 2016, 01:35:27 AM »
Nah to both. I'm just being a neurotic spastic.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2897 on: August 27, 2016, 02:47:33 AM »
I will say this. The guy they sent over to remove the water came with his around 13-14 year old daughter on a Friday night around 11:30pm.
Sorta puts things into perspective. I might bitch about all this shit, but at least I don't have to tote my daughter around late Friday nights and have her see me try to earn a living.
que

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #2898 on: August 27, 2016, 12:23:49 PM »
Uh-huh. Yeah. YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE A FACEBOOK!  :bolo

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Or friends... :hitler

Okay. That was mean. I'm sorry. :fbm
[close]
[close]
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 12:31:31 PM by Pallando »

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2899 on: August 28, 2016, 09:28:31 PM »
Holy fuck. I always say that the week around my birthday is "hell week" because luck goes bad then but this whole fucking August has been awful.

- Had to get a new car to replace the old
- Phone died had to get a new phone
- Wife's got a bladder infection AND a kidney stone to boot
- Company lost 3 RFPs
- Got stuck in L.A.
- Then just tonight my water heater leaked. Not only is it likely dead, there is water EVERYWHERE. There's certainly going to be water damage

I can't wait for this month to end.
LOL, now wife's phone died too.  Fuck August.
que

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #2900 on: August 28, 2016, 10:25:27 PM »
Glance down at a book on my mom's coffee table

Is written by David Brooks

:shaq2

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2901 on: August 29, 2016, 03:00:07 AM »
Had a shitload of work to get through this morning. Woke up with the side edge of a passing typhoon giving me the worst headache in years. It was making me nauseous, it was so intense. Fucked around here and on FB. Finally when it started raining I started being able to process information again. Now I'm working on the stuff I planned to have out at noon.  :-\

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2902 on: August 29, 2016, 03:39:28 AM »
Hang in there Chrono.

My boss will be in the office for two days, I don't think I have any sales lined up shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. 

Shouldn't worry too much as as soon as the appartment is sold I'll have to quit this job as we'll move 500km away from here.

Unless they allow me to work from home for a while. But then I need to sell shit.

So maybe I do need some sales lined up on his visit.

:doge

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2903 on: August 29, 2016, 10:16:28 AM »
Had a shitload of work to get through this morning. Woke up with the side edge of a passing typhoon giving me the worst headache in years. It was making me nauseous, it was so intense. Fucked around here and on FB. Finally when it started raining I started being able to process information again. Now I'm working on the stuff I planned to have out at noon.  :-\
Nauseated Chrono. Nauseous means you make people feel sick. Nauseated means you feel sick :snob /kara
que

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2904 on: August 29, 2016, 01:28:37 PM »
except that is not common usage and kara knows a thing or two about common usage in the commune. 

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #2905 on: August 29, 2016, 03:48:08 PM »
I excitedly made a new emote but I barely get to use it cuz ya'll are so negative

the struggle is real brehs(Image removed from quote.)

bless up

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2906 on: August 29, 2016, 09:21:58 PM »
Nauseated Chrono. Nauseous means you make people feel sick. Nauseated means you feel sick :snob /kara

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2907 on: September 01, 2016, 08:21:55 AM »
We have a vacation booked at a nice little condo down in St. Simon's Island, GA, for this weekend.  Now they're issuing a tropical storm/hurricane warning with possible evacuations in the area...so there goes that trip.   :(  LOL if the owner gives me any shit for trying to cancel the vacation for this reason.
ど助平

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #2908 on: September 01, 2016, 01:22:18 PM »
It's not even a hurricane. A little rain never hurt anyone
dur

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2909 on: September 02, 2016, 12:06:27 AM »
Fucking Unity.

Trying to add an iOS deployment license to my existing Pro account has eaten 2 hours of my day. Wait, no: 3 now. Their authoring tool has a button to add it, which launches store.unity.com with NO INSTRUCTIONS on it, nor even a mention of iOS or adding licenses or anything. Unity ID, manage seats, add licenses... NONE of it leads anywhere useful. I'm in the support queue now, and on Unity Answers, and even fucking tweeted about it, which got a defensive but useful response from a Unity coder last time I did it.

Anyway, I'm as mad as a junebug in July.  :maf :maf :maf
:maf
[close]

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2910 on: September 02, 2016, 02:55:28 AM »
I wish I could post this as an LinkedIN update  :lol

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2911 on: September 02, 2016, 10:52:43 AM »
Found myself saying, "They call THIS a pumpkin spice mocha?" I had to go in the corner and cry a little for the creature I've become.
que

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #2912 on: September 02, 2016, 01:04:36 PM »
All this pumpkin flavored shit comes sooner and sooner every year.  :doge
©ZH

Tasty

« Reply #2913 on: September 02, 2016, 01:17:28 PM »
All this pumpkin flavored shit comes sooner and sooner every year.  :doge

Wish it was year round tbh

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2914 on: September 03, 2016, 01:45:34 AM »
I can't go into details about one of my new projects of course. But while everything is absolutely legal, it's very morally grey at best in that it seeks to completely exploit the consumer base. There was a time when I was just out of college that I probably would've been so uncomfortable with the premise that I would've said no to doing it. But now? I've gotten so jaded by working with so many companies and watching them do so many morally reprehensible things that I'm just like "eh, this isn't even in the top 10 worst things I've helped companies do. If we don't do it someone else will and besides the tech is really cool. Not only will we do it, we're going to knock this out of the park!"

:goty
que

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2915 on: September 03, 2016, 02:58:41 AM »
We have a vacation booked at a nice little condo down in St. Simon's Island, GA, for this weekend.  Now they're issuing a tropical storm/hurricane warning with possible evacuations in the area...so there goes that trip.   :(  LOL if the owner gives me any shit for trying to cancel the vacation for this reason.

Weather was better, so we decided to drive down.  We left much later than I wanted to and ended up arriving at 1:30 am.  It was at this point that I noticed that the address provided to this place was for a huge complex and didn't list the condo unit number.  I managed to find it after a review noted that the owner also owned the unit across from it and listed that number.  The key to get in was in a lockbox and didn't work.
:neogaf

So I called the owner, who fortunately picked up and gave me the right code.  She sounded pissed...not my fault you didn't give me the right info, lady.
:ufup

Them she sends this big, long.email with the unit number and other stuff I could have used before coming here.  There's an attached pdf with the code.  Still the wrong one.  :lol
:dead
ど助平

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2916 on: September 03, 2016, 03:47:33 AM »
I can't go into details about one of my new projects of course. But while everything is absolutely legal, it's very morally grey at best in that it seeks to completely exploit the consumer base. There was a time when I was just out of college that I probably would've been so uncomfortable with the premise that I would've said no to doing it. But now? I've gotten so jaded by working with so many companies and watching them do so many morally reprehensible things that I'm just like "eh, this isn't even in the top 10 worst things I've helped companies do. If we don't do it someone else will and besides the tech is really cool. Not only will we do it, we're going to knock this out of the park!"

Workspace apathy is the ultimate Corrupter. Health and safety hazards ? Pollution ? Well yeah. But gotta make a living...
ὕβρις

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #2917 on: September 03, 2016, 10:02:25 AM »
The second tech bubble's greatest successes are businesses that break the already broken working class.  Now we have "the gig economy" that ensure that once you fall into the pit you can never get out.

That's why the worship of Silicon Valley is pretty repulsive.  Same goes for the Tim Ferriss mentality where you peak at 24 and if you turn 25 and weren't a part of a revolutionary startup, your life is already over.
🍆🍆

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2918 on: September 03, 2016, 10:15:25 AM »
Even if you are it doesn't matter. I've been in interviews with people that were part of some startup when they were in their early twenties they made a bunch of money, then tried again and again to capture that lightning again and never got it so they went back and when they touted their work for the start up I heard an executive say, "So what? You want a job because you were lucky? We're all clever here. We all work hard here. You think really think that being involved in a startup qualifies you for anything other than press interviews."

:whew

Silicon Valley is completely toxic.
que

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #2919 on: September 03, 2016, 10:41:50 AM »
A family friend of ours was involved in a startup and made some good money through it. His entire family was always Cosby tier insufferable black elitists, and while his parents were disappointed in his career choice initially they became fans when he struck success. Last time I saw his dad at a social event he asked me "accounting still huh. I always felt like that's glorified secretary work, no offense." He's a pharmacist.

Anyway within the last two years the startup went belly up big time, including some fraud charges. And their son got divorced. He's now doing desk work at an insurance company. Can't wait see his dad again. We've reached a level of contempt where I don't have to say anything, the minute he sees me he'll quietly take his L, shake my hand, and go back to discussing why black people don't work hard enough and why racism is a crutch.

Delight in the failure of your enemy's children brehs
:lawd

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2920 on: September 04, 2016, 10:44:56 PM »
Bad tech week, boritos:

• My phone's dying. LEDs stuttering. Something is leaked behind the screen, making the infected part unusually bright. Phone also appears to be load-choking, stuttering on app start up
  • PS3 has been having playback problems from its DVR application (Torne)
  • PS3 wants to rebuild its HDD database every time it starts
  • Had to turn off auto-updates because it was just starting the PS3 and leaving it on, inside a closed cabinet, never progressing or actually updating
  • Wife's PC is starting to hang inexplicably
  • Unity iOS license addition is still in limbo; no responses to Unity Answers thread, Unity Support ticket, or even an Oscar-the-Grouch-signal-boosted Twitter request for clarity
  • Fixing Unity back to our project's agreed-to version will lose Retina support again
  • Back to using FTP apps for deliverables.  :-\

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2921 on: September 05, 2016, 06:11:47 AM »
Time to upgrade to PS FOUR

A family friend of ours was involved in a startup and made some good money through it. His entire family was always Cosby tier insufferable black elitists, and while his parents were disappointed in his career choice initially they became fans when he struck success. Last time I saw his dad at a social event he asked me "accounting still huh. I always felt like that's glorified secretary work, no offense." He's a pharmacist.

Anyway within the last two years the startup went belly up big time, including some fraud charges. And their son got divorced. He's now doing desk work at an insurance company. Can't wait see his dad again. We've reached a level of contempt where I don't have to say anything, the minute he sees me he'll quietly take his L, shake my hand, and go back to discussing why black people don't work hard enough and why racism is a crutch.

Delight in the failure of your enemy's children brehs

Logged in to like this

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #2922 on: September 10, 2016, 03:20:12 AM »
Mosquitos ate me alive last night. Five bites on my right foot alone. Two on my ring finger, one of which is right at the joint.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2923 on: September 11, 2016, 01:44:00 PM »
I think I've been wearing these socks backwards for 3 years

« Reply #2924 on: September 11, 2016, 01:49:31 PM »
I usually change my socks more often than that.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2925 on: September 11, 2016, 02:27:21 PM »
I don't like air touching my feet. 

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #2926 on: September 11, 2016, 07:47:18 PM »
Pm me where to buy it

bluemax

« Reply #2927 on: September 12, 2016, 01:12:17 AM »
Fucking Unity.

Trying to add an iOS deployment license to my existing Pro account has eaten 2 hours of my day. Wait, no: 3 now. Their authoring tool has a button to add it, which launches store.unity.com with NO INSTRUCTIONS on it, nor even a mention of iOS or adding licenses or anything. Unity ID, manage seats, add licenses... NONE of it leads anywhere useful. I'm in the support queue now, and on Unity Answers, and even fucking tweeted about it, which got a defensive but useful response from a Unity coder last time I did it.

Anyway, I'm as mad as a junebug in July.  :maf :maf :maf
:maf
[close]

It's sad that complaining on Twitter is the only way to get attention of companies sometimes. I bitched about some bug and had some Unity guy immediately asking me to submit a bug report and crash logs.

(Image removed from quote.)

:goty

At my last job we were making a heart rate app and as I was doing research on the APIs and similar products I started reading about Theranos and Fitbit and the rise health and fitness tech startups that were totally not qualified to be telling people things about their health. I remember looking at some competing company and seeing that they had a ton of doctor's and lawyers on their board while our calculations were based on some back of the envelope math I did after 10 minutes on google.

While the product wasn't really morally reprehensible the combination of the tech not being good enough to do with what they wanted and us not being suited to tell people anything from the data we were gathering didn't really sit well with me.

Its five months after the fact and the product hasn't come out so maybe they scrapped it. There was at least one similar app that beat it to market as well so maybe they just decided it wasn't worth the money, shrug.

As it is I don't really like the moral greyness of F2P games, so I'm not really sure I could ever do something any more sinister.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 01:21:04 AM by bluemax »
NO

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #2928 on: September 12, 2016, 01:26:16 AM »
A lot of the brochures you see in doctors offices were written by some pre-med intern copying from Wikipedia. That's worse when you're talking about new drugs versus measuring optimal heart rate.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2929 on: September 12, 2016, 05:41:19 AM »
It's sad that complaining on Twitter is the only way to get attention of companies sometimes. I bitched about some bug and had some Unity guy immediately asking me to submit a bug report and crash logs.

It's been a week-and-a-half since I submitted my request to Unity support. I've also re-submitted to Technical Assistance in addition to my initial Sales category. Not a fucking thing. Just tweeted a very accusatorial question at them. Bet I get a response by tomorrow morning.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2930 on: September 12, 2016, 11:11:23 AM »
Got $21,000 CAD in my checking account, is this what it feels like to be rich?

half that goes to tuition in a few months and the rest goes to rent and food :(  Gradschool :piss2
[close]

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2931 on: September 12, 2016, 11:47:29 AM »

It's been a week-and-a-half since I submitted my request to Unity support. I've also re-submitted to Technical Assistance in addition to my initial Sales category. Not a fucking thing. Just tweeted a very accusatorial question at them. Bet I get a response by tomorrow morning.

https://twitter.com/unity3d/status/775288389964800000

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2932 on: September 12, 2016, 02:19:00 PM »

Oh I don't fuck around with calling anymore. I tweet first. They'll call me. Feel bad for anyone following me on twitter, all I really use it for it to get a company's attention when they fuck up so they'll be in touch with me quickly.
que

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2933 on: September 13, 2016, 05:19:50 AM »
Have to rebook New England trip that was booked for next month, with us trying to sell a house and trying to buy one there isn't enough cash I think to go on a big trip like that now. If we have to make an offer and a downpayment this month I don't want us to deplete savings.

Rebooking fee is 150 pounds and all the accomodation we booked can be cancelled still :)

Kind of a bummer as we were so excited about fall in New England, and we cant rebook for next October since you can't book that far ahead, plus our baby will be over two so the cost of the trip will go up by a lot.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2934 on: September 13, 2016, 08:08:59 PM »
Tweeted Unity about their lack of response, they immediately responded. After taking the conversation to DMs, they're again unresponsive. (In truth, it's only been a day, but after getting Twitter responses in hours, it feels like they're ignoring the problem again.) Unity's posted phone number goes to reception, and then to receptions voicemail. The place is a clown circus.

Have to rebook New England trip that was booked for next month, with us trying to sell a house and trying to buy one there isn't enough cash I think to go on a big trip like that now. If we have to make an offer and a downpayment this month I don't want us to deplete savings.

Rebooking fee is 150 pounds and all the accomodation we booked can be cancelled still :)

Kind of a bummer as we were so excited about fall in New England, and we cant rebook for next October since you can't book that far ahead, plus our baby will be over two so the cost of the trip will go up by a lot.
Sounds like you made the responsible decision. Congratulations again on the house sale.

Tasty

« Reply #2935 on: September 13, 2016, 08:24:49 PM »
Autumn in New England really is the best shit ever. Sorry to hear you're not coming Lager. :'(

Still looking forward to whenever you do.  :cody

Bebpo

« Reply #2936 on: September 13, 2016, 09:07:37 PM »
Life  :-\

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2937 on: September 14, 2016, 07:39:10 AM »

Sounds like you made the responsible decision. Congratulations again on the house sale.

Too early on that yet, had one offer within the first week so far, bit too low to go for it just yet.

Congratulate me when the ink is dry  :-[

BrokenVerses

« Reply #2938 on: September 14, 2016, 06:54:45 PM »
 I ate at McDonald's and now feel worryingly nauseous.

Bebpo

« Reply #2939 on: September 14, 2016, 10:18:59 PM »
Life  :-\

Turns out it was just food poisoning.  Back to normal today.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 11:41:15 PM by Bebpo »