Author Topic: minor inconveniences that are not struggles  (Read 918259 times)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: minor inconviences that are not struggles
« Reply #3420 on: February 05, 2017, 07:34:16 PM »
I'm using a common, but problematic set of third-party deformation tools in Unity (Megafiers); documentation is wrong on some items, missing on others. Wasted several hours last weekend looking into things which should have been straightforward. Going in for another deep-dive today.

If any fellow boreans are using Megafiers, drop me a PM.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #3421 on: February 05, 2017, 08:17:22 PM »
Wow. Just had an incident of "pipe cleaners" unlocking our front door to enter the apartment unauthorized. Apparently this is okay now! I was undressed and not prepared. They knocked twice, I started panicking while trying to find clothes to wear because I had absolutely no idea who it could be (whenever I have friends over, it's always planned in advance). Wasn't halfway through the hallway to check the hole in the door, when I heard the door unlock. What if I was showering? I'm pretty upset right now, and gonna have to complain to building manegement.

We've had pipe cleaners before in the previous apartments, and any kind of service or construction would never just unlock the door and proceed if no one answered the door. They'd just leave a note and come back later.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3422 on: February 05, 2017, 08:51:20 PM »
Texas law for that sort of thing says they have notify you in advance telling you that they will be there on a specific day in a specific time window and that if you're not home they will enter. I'd be surprised of that's not the standard law elsewhere.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #3423 on: February 05, 2017, 09:01:08 PM »
Wow. Just had an incident of "pipe cleaners" unlocking our front door to enter the apartment unauthorized. I was undressed and not prepared.

:cody :cody :cody :cody :cody :cody :cody :cody :cody :cody :cody :cody :cody :cody :cody :cody :cody
©@©™

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #3424 on: February 05, 2017, 10:43:46 PM »
Texas law for that sort of thing says they have notify you in advance telling you that they will be there on a specific day in a specific time window and that if you're not home they will enter. I'd be surprised of that's not the standard law elsewhere.
Not sure about the law, but I've lived in this town for several years and never had that happen before. And I know no one has been inside while I was out either. Anyway I complained, and the manager called to apologize.

Wow. Just had an incident of "pipe cleaners" unlocking our front door to enter the apartment unauthorized. I was undressed and not prepared.

:cody :cody :cody :cody :cody :cody :cody :cody :cody :cody :cody :cody :cody :cody :cody :cody :cody
This isn't how I imagined my first JAV would be like. :whoo

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #3425 on: February 07, 2017, 07:20:07 AM »
i was gonna post a triumph in the triumph thread but decided against it because i knew it wouldn't measure up

people getting jobs and shit

i was like fuck it im out

I disagree.  If it's a triumph to you, then it's a triumph :yeshrug
🍆🍆

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #3426 on: February 07, 2017, 08:18:20 AM »
I am the arbiter of likes, post away.
rub

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3427 on: February 07, 2017, 06:16:31 PM »
My uncle, who is a conservative lobbyist and pretty much the opposite of everything I hold dear in politics, wrote me a nice note yesterday saying that he loves me and wants me to have access to as much data and research as possible in making my decisions.

I wrote him a thank you note back, telling him it was hard to know how to proceed, there is so much bad information out there.

Just before I fell asleep last night, a response mail came and he said a great place to get good news is Breitbart.

I'm not sure if he's trolling me.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #3428 on: February 07, 2017, 07:44:36 PM »
Just think, you could read Breitbart and learn all of Donald Trump's positions before even he does!
©@©™

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #3429 on: February 07, 2017, 08:31:28 PM »
The longer I live in Japan, the more white people are starting to look the same. ???

Bebpo

« Reply #3430 on: February 07, 2017, 09:19:24 PM »
Sitting in my office chair, feel a drop on my head :wtf put my hand on wet hair, all brown and smells like old oil, look up and there's brown liquid leaking right exactly over my head from the ceiling.

Gross  :yuck

Got home and jumped in the shower ASAP

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3431 on: February 07, 2017, 09:28:31 PM »
:yuck

When are you going to know about your health situation?

Bebpo

« Reply #3432 on: February 07, 2017, 10:12:24 PM »
Short-term I'm gonna talk to my doc within a week after he looks at the image disc (was going off a report).  But longer term they probably will have to run a test which has like a 6 month waiting list to do the test procedure so will be a long time until I know what's really going on.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3433 on: February 13, 2017, 09:04:11 AM »
I had a recurring nightmare since undergrad where I signed up for an advanced linear algebra class and then forgot about it and now its the last day and there is a test and Ive never been to class but need to pass this test. 

I got like no sleep

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3434 on: February 13, 2017, 09:32:40 AM »
I had a recurring nightmare since undergrad where I signed up for an advanced linear algebra class and then forgot about it and now its the last day and there is a test and Ive never been to class but need to pass this test. 

I got like no sleep
I had dreams like that through college, and for a year or two after graduating. You will get rid of them if you ever leave academia.

Then your dreams will change to victims who have escaped your sex dungeon.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3435 on: February 13, 2017, 09:41:18 AM »
About ready to upgrade Unity from "inconvenience" to actual  "struggle." ESPECIALLY if 3rd party add-ons are involved, which they are.

The 3rd party item I'm using for mesh deformation, Megafiers, is best-of-class for Unity, which means it is still something of a horror show. Fortunately the author is responsive. I wasn't sure if it was me or Unity or the add-on. It turns out I've found a great bug in the add-on which was broken as of Unity 5 (apparently worked in 3 and 4). Not sure how this frequently-referenced add-on went from 5.1 to 5.4.2f2 with NO-ONE noticing it broke the Animation system, but hey.

Anyway: Fffffffuuuuuuuuu... :maf

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3436 on: February 13, 2017, 09:41:54 AM »
Sorry guys; I forgot about this thread for a bit.  :-[

^ She sounds like a fucking spoiled brat.

Do you and your wife not live together btw? Not prying, just curious because of how you worded things.

Yeah, we live together.  We live in the States and my sister-in-law is in Japan.  (And I am so glad about that!  :lol)

Anyway, speaking of Japanese family: My FIL is kinda crazy too. He owns his own business up in Akita (where my husband is from) so he keeps acting like he's hot shit, and I really despise how he treats his son. He'll not only belittle him, but he'll step on him too. And there usually just aren't any reasons for it. Whenever he comes to Tokyo for business, he never asks to meet his granddaughter. She's 1,5 years and he only met her once. He only wants to go drinking with my husband. And when they're outside, he'll just sit for hours and tell his son how great of a man he (himself) is and how much he has accomplished. So naturally my husband feels mentally drained and down when he comes home. My husband's half-sister once told me her dad is forcing her to go to dentist school, and she reeeeeally doesn't want to be a dentist, but she's too afraid to say anything, so she's just going with it.

Let it be known that my husband's other sister has been avoiding their dad for maybe 15 years, because he would give her massive panic attacks with his behavior. Also, he doesn't care to visit any of his grandchildren. Either way, we're better off without him. I'm glad he lives half a country away. lol

:respect
ど助平

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #3437 on: February 13, 2017, 03:50:57 PM »
Had to take Bentley the dog to the vet. Hurt ums ittle paaaawww.

We ended up having to amputate the knuckle because of a nail problem.  :-\
rub

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3438 on: February 13, 2017, 04:31:52 PM »
:(

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #3439 on: February 13, 2017, 06:59:20 PM »
Ran at the track yesterday since it was the first warm-ish day in ages. Last night my knee was killing me, to the point just planting my leg at certain angles made it buckle a bit. It still feels sensitive today. I planned on running again tomorrow morning before work but I'm not sure I should lol.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3440 on: February 14, 2017, 06:04:44 PM »
I think I went from abject cynicism to complete nihilism over the past three years.

Not sure if that's a bad thing or not.

Probably a cycle. People are surprising. When things seem at their worst, they always step up. It gives me hope.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #3441 on: February 14, 2017, 06:21:21 PM »
Ataraxia is just around the corner.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3442 on: February 14, 2017, 06:21:44 PM »
Nothing good has happened to me in the past too but I'm still optimistic that my future will be bleak.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #3443 on: February 14, 2017, 06:29:58 PM »
Eventually you say "fuck it" and embrace a life of degeneracy.  You'll never be truly happy but how many happy guys can say they've had their ass licked by someone who would rate as an international 10?
🍆🍆

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3444 on: February 14, 2017, 06:37:07 PM »
Is an international 10 part of the metric system? 

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3445 on: February 14, 2017, 07:02:56 PM »
I dunno, nothing good happened to me for the past...I don't even know how long, and now my thought process is "Why would anything good ever happen?"

People make their own luck. I'm not saying everyone gets what they deserve; I'm saying people who think no opportunities will come can accidentally ignore chances when they are presented.

There was a study decades ago where people were asked to review a newspaper for something mundane. Check the Classifieds for the number of instances of the word "the" or how many times the letter "e" appears.

Halfway through the newspaper page was an ad which read, "The survey is over. This is the end of the test. Please collect $50 from the test administrator" -- or something to that effect.

Prior to the experiment, the participants filled out a questionnaire. People who rated themselves as "lucky" found that advertisement, stopped early, and collected the extra money at something like 5X the number of participants who rated themselves as "unlucky."

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #3446 on: February 14, 2017, 07:54:55 PM »
Is an international 10 part of the metric system? 

10 metric fucktons of ass licking.
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3447 on: February 14, 2017, 07:57:35 PM »
pretty sure a fuckton is imperial. 

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3448 on: February 14, 2017, 09:31:59 PM »
I know you're trying, and I know you're in an especially rough patch. I'm confident you'll find your way past it.

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #3449 on: February 15, 2017, 05:25:30 PM »
Too anxious to take benzos :doge

I feel like a fucking idiot trying to ascertain their safety, clearly not qualified to do so but my doc isn't too reassuring waving away any studies suggesting negative long term effects as "propaganda."

Yeah I know, dropping Wikipedia links up in here, might as well check WebMD while I'm at it, but after reading this it doesn't seem so clear cut.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of_long-term_benzodiazepine_use

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #3450 on: February 15, 2017, 11:10:40 PM »
bit the end of my tongue

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #3451 on: February 16, 2017, 07:31:31 AM »
Too anxious to take benzos :doge

I feel like a fucking idiot trying to ascertain their safety, clearly not qualified to do so but my doc isn't too reassuring waving away any studies suggesting negative long term effects as "propaganda."

Yeah I know, dropping Wikipedia links up in here, might as well check WebMD while I'm at it, but after reading this it doesn't seem so clear cut.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of_long-term_benzodiazepine_use

Your doc seems like an idiot

dur

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #3452 on: February 16, 2017, 10:13:12 AM »
Yup, but I always feel :insane challenging docs, like this self proclaimed expert with 17 years in the field. Too often they'll just chalk up my concerns as manifestations of some nebulous anxiety disorder.

Like how fucking convenient.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3453 on: February 16, 2017, 06:31:07 PM »
We have a dank meme thread and an outside links thread for regular memes, but it seems like there are more dank memes showing up in the outside links thread lately.

I'm worried that I'm just old and don't know how to separate the standard memes from dank ones properly.

:fbm

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #3454 on: February 16, 2017, 07:15:44 PM »
Don't feel too bad about that.

One critical purpose of the dank meme thread is so that I or anyone else doesn't end up spamming different renditions of the same meme (old or new) in the outside link thread.

People would probably hate my guts if I just posted 12 different "trash dove" memes in different posts in the outside link thread.  :doge

edit: Also, it's a good place to discuss memes if the need arrises.  :doge
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 07:21:22 PM by Atramental »

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #3455 on: February 17, 2017, 05:42:57 AM »
I'm taking driving lessons in my 4th language

shit is tough as nails, have to listen to every lesson 3 times and look up words I don't know

spoiler (click to show/hide)
stealth brag about speaking 4 languages soon*
[close]

SOON  :crowdlaff :girlaff :ahnuld2 :goldberg
[close]

« Reply #3456 on: February 17, 2017, 08:16:34 AM »
Should have learned to drive when you were a child like the rest of the industrialized world, Euroaffald.

Good luck, though!
[close]

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #3457 on: February 17, 2017, 08:31:39 AM »
Yeah lol tell me about it

I remember my parents offered me a driving license or a new pc when I was 16

now pc's are twice as cheap and driving licenses twice as expensive

:snoop

I got a Celeron I think  :neogaf
[close]

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #3458 on: February 17, 2017, 09:29:04 AM »
Don't they offer localized study materials?

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #3459 on: February 18, 2017, 10:38:47 PM »
Migraine day 3. I can't do anything, even going to the store is straining.

Need a drink. Or a massage. Anything to keep my sanity alive.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3460 on: February 18, 2017, 10:54:08 PM »
Went to my first class in nearly 13 years. A calculus class. I show up and find out that my teacher is a coworker from our technology software engineering department. If I have issues learning the material I'm going to schedule some meetings for him to tutor me.

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #3461 on: February 18, 2017, 11:11:28 PM »
When I was over at my parents house today my dad asked me if I've ever heard of Milo Yiannopoulos.  :shaq2

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #3462 on: February 18, 2017, 11:23:26 PM »
Get new parents. ーNeoGAF

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #3463 on: February 18, 2017, 11:28:02 PM »
It's just weird that he's become a household name in such a relatively short amount of time.  :doge

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #3464 on: February 18, 2017, 11:52:41 PM »
It's just weird that he's become a household name in such a relatively short amount of time.  :doge

That's because he's a straight talker that's just saying what we're all thinking.

Like "I love cock" and "give me that black dick".
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3465 on: February 19, 2017, 10:11:32 AM »
I image that secretly he is in to rare memes too and tried to use this as an opener to connect with his son about his hobby. 

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #3466 on: February 19, 2017, 11:18:53 AM »
Living free from your ideologically incorrect family. :aah

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #3467 on: February 19, 2017, 06:49:30 PM »
Succumbing to your genetics

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #3468 on: February 19, 2017, 07:10:57 PM »

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #3469 on: February 19, 2017, 07:51:14 PM »

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #3470 on: February 19, 2017, 11:06:35 PM »
So many normies using the drew meme holy moly

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #3471 on: February 22, 2017, 02:28:30 AM »
So my migraine headache finally went away yesterday, and I was left with an extremely sore back probably from straining my muscles so much.

But now my skin hurts! There's no rash or anything, but the skin on my back + sides really hurts if I touch it, and the clothes rubbing against makes it feel like I have a massive bruise. I looked it up and it says it's probably Allodynia, which is a symptom from migraine. Anyone else experienced this before? It's like slow motion agony. I can't find anything about when it's supposed to go away.. just comments from people saying "I've had this for years".
Am I already dead and buried? :goldberg

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3472 on: February 22, 2017, 02:36:33 AM »
Well, that's horrible.

The electromagnetic pulse treatment for migraines isn't yet available in Japan, but you can look into migraine specialists in Japan. Considering the connection migraines have to stress, there should be no shortage of migraine specialists here.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #3473 on: February 22, 2017, 02:55:31 AM »
I'm not normally bothered by them (as in, I very rarely get them). This one was by far the worst ever. To the point where I think my previous migraine attacks weren't even migraine, just insanely bad headaches.

So I don't think it's gonna be a big problem, at least not yet. Shit runs in my family though.

If it happens again, I'll have to go see a doctor. But now I just want the weird skin sensitivity to go away. :doge

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #3474 on: February 22, 2017, 03:50:15 AM »
You are already dead.

studyguy

« Reply #3475 on: February 22, 2017, 05:51:47 PM »
Girlfriend's dad is losing his home since the man apparently thought not paying his mortgage for years on end would have no recourse. Now I have to help the dude pack his shit while he's all sad about it. Girlfriend is pissed since he wasted time and didn't pack all this year before he loses the home in March, so this whole week is a scramble to throw shit in boxes. The fuck.
pause

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #3476 on: February 22, 2017, 06:21:48 PM »
My dad somehow "forgot" to pay his income tax last year. Didn't ask too many questions but... wtf?  :doge

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #3477 on: February 22, 2017, 08:14:51 PM »
I'm trying to forgot to pay it this year
dur

Kara

« Reply #3478 on: February 24, 2017, 12:39:10 AM »
People with an honest to gosh family (including gene repositories not old enough to have given up screaming) are crashing at the commune. For a week.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #3479 on: February 24, 2017, 10:13:40 AM »
Wore my pants that have a weak zipper. Multiple times I have had my fly wide open after interacting with someone.

I think this is grounds for a sick day.