Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| SAD TRUMP  (Read 5496267 times)

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
Re: U.S. Politics Discussion Thread |OT| No Vote November
« Reply #27000 on: November 06, 2018, 11:18:09 PM »
people other than me ruining this thread for once
每天生气

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #27001 on: November 06, 2018, 11:18:30 PM »
PogiJones quickly filling the Assy-shaped void in this thread.  :nope

Why is it everytime we ban or run off a conservative another takes their place?

agrajag

« Reply #27002 on: November 06, 2018, 11:19:54 PM »
PogiJones quickly filling the Assy-shaped void in this thread.  :nope

Why is it everytime we ban or run of a conservative another takes their place?

So it is written. It's like the Rule of Two in the Lucasfilm Star Wars property, kiddo.

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #27003 on: November 06, 2018, 11:21:13 PM »
Safe to say that bernie's grass roots won the house?

Himu

« Reply #27004 on: November 06, 2018, 11:22:49 PM »

:lol

There’s nuance here.

the irony

For me gun control isn’t a moderate position and that was the basis of this discussion. So this entire thing depends on our definitions, but since everything you ever present is ever an insult or snark I’m proud to add your ass to the ignore list. I can’t think of anything of note you’ve contributed that I’ve read anyways. You fucking suck.

:snob
IYKYK

PogiJones

« Reply #27005 on: November 06, 2018, 11:22:54 PM »
Always awesome to welcome new contributors from the other forums thread.

they'll crawl back to their hole once the excitement wears off

Lol, "Your post count in this [thread] is so low, you're so suspect!" Where have I seen that before?

Yeah, don't worry, I don't plan on sticking around. You guys are fun to make fun of RE with in the other thread, but while most of you are cool to talk about whatever with, a few of you (shosta, cauliwhatever, Mandark (from what I've seen)) are pretty insufferable.

Just excited about the night is all. Take care, dudes.

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #27006 on: November 06, 2018, 11:25:19 PM »

:lol

There’s nuance here.

the irony

For me gun control isn’t a moderate position and that was the basis of this discussion. So this entire thing depends on our definitions, but since everything you ever present is ever an insult or snark I’m proud to add your ass to the ignore list. I can’t think of anything of note you’ve contributed that I’ve read anyways. You fucking suck.

:snob

:umad

Nola

« Reply #27007 on: November 06, 2018, 11:26:10 PM »

Let me put it this way:

"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."

That's the only time "race" should factor in: Convincing the rural whites that they'll be better off than the other races. Meanwhile, telling those other races "hey, you'll be better off, ignore what I'm saying about this since lol dem cacs amirite?" (paraphrased) would be better. It's a "balancing act" in a sense of trying to convince those rural whites that the policies you're proposing better them than the other races, while not really doing that.

I mean I have a deep-fried red voting police person on my Facebook that continues to support Trump while the world goes to hell because "lol at least those poor black folks don't get my shit from my tax money." That's the sort of person you have to convince while not alienating the other races.

You aren't convincing that person is the point. It's a fools errand. Beto won 48% not because he tried to jerk off the Trump supporters but because he mobilized the base while maintaining a relatively moderate outward facing platform. If there is a theme emerging of how Democrats are gaininng traction in formerly solid red states, that seems to be a good chunk of it. Your strategy has been tried tbh and Kansas is still red. Why bother with a half assed racist Democrat that says their economic policies are better when you can get the full racist saying the same thing that your preacher, radio, community, and tv back them up with?

You aren't going to out-Republican the Republican's on race and social issues 9 times out of 10 and you aren't going to beat the combined power of the political community culture built up over decades, the pulpit, or the firebrands they put their trust into. The more apt modern comparison to that quote is that the vast majority of Republicans have been largely successfully conditioned to see the best Democrat as worse than the worst Republican.

I certainly don't have the strategy figured out but some of you all are fooling yourselves into thinking it is some simple snap of your finger when pretty much exactly what has been offered has been tried.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 11:30:37 PM by Nola »

shosta

« Reply #27008 on: November 06, 2018, 11:26:46 PM »
mandark and I both appalled to be on the same list.

youngest woman ever elected to congress. crowley: annihilated
每天生气

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #27009 on: November 06, 2018, 11:28:47 PM »
= /

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #27011 on: November 06, 2018, 11:29:58 PM »
Safe to say that bernie's grass roots won the house?

Not really, but there are probably a ton of campaign staffers and volunteers who cut their teeth on Bernie's campaign (and/or Occupy before that).

agrajag

« Reply #27012 on: November 06, 2018, 11:31:08 PM »

Lol, "Your post count in this [thread] is so low, you're so suspect!" Where have I seen that before?

Yeah, don't worry, I don't plan on sticking around. You guys are fun to make fun of RE with in the other thread, but while most of you are cool to talk about whatever with, a few of you (shosta, cauliwhatever, Mandark (from what I've seen)) are pretty insufferable.

Breh, how the fuck are you going to passive aggressively object to what I said and then verify the accuracy of my statement in the same post?

It's like when MGK tried to diss Eminem by saying he's the greatest of all time.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #27013 on: November 06, 2018, 11:31:45 PM »
Lot of focus on rural votes but to me the big takeaways tonight: GOP collapse in the Midwest and GOP dominance in the south. Media tends to ignore complex issues or stories that play out over a period of time...and clearly they missed the boat on what's happening here. The economy is doing good yet Trump's numbers have collapsed throughout the Midwest. Because this trade war is fucking over multiple businesses and farmers. The Midwest is the one place Trump can't afford to lose ground, and yet he's digging his own grave.

In the south...I'm bummed Gillum lost but it makes sense. DeSantis was a terrible candidate yet clearly did his job: turned race into an issue and voters rewarded him. Republican turnout is very impressive throughout the red parts of the state; that's been true all night in the south. It's clear his message is resonating. Trump will never lose his base, or the ability to turn them out for elections.

Himu

« Reply #27014 on: November 06, 2018, 11:31:53 PM »

I just put curly, agrajab, stro, and shosta on ignore. :trash

Join me breh. They're all shit level RE taco leftovers.

Now we dance into the night and celebrate this glorious win for our country against pulp orange juice.

IYKYK

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #27015 on: November 06, 2018, 11:32:04 PM »
Dems gonna pick up close to 40 seats and wake up miserable the next day.

Pretty on-brand.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #27017 on: November 06, 2018, 11:32:15 PM »
pogi just worming through as usual

agrajag

« Reply #27018 on: November 06, 2018, 11:34:44 PM »
Mods, something's wrong with Cindi's ignore button, she's put me on ignore multiple times and it doesn't seem to be working

Nola

« Reply #27019 on: November 06, 2018, 11:35:24 PM »
Dems gonna pick up close to 40 seats and wake up miserable the next day.

Pretty on-brand.

:trumps

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #27020 on: November 06, 2018, 11:36:41 PM »
Lot of focus on rural votes but to me the big takeaways tonight: GOP collapse in the Midwest and GOP dominance in the south. Media tends to ignore complex issues or stories that play out over a period of time...and clearly they missed the boat on what's happening here. The economy is doing good yet Trump's numbers have collapsed throughout the Midwest. Because this trade war is fucking over multiple businesses and farmers. The Midwest is the one place Trump can't afford to lose ground, and yet he's digging his own grave.

In the south...I'm bummed Gillum lost but it makes sense. DeSantis was a terrible candidate yet clearly did his job: turned race into an issue and voters rewarded him. Republican turnout is very impressive throughout the red parts of the state; that's been true all night in the south. It's clear his message is resonating. Trump will never lose his base, or the ability to turn them out for elections.

Desantis pounced on the racist hispanic vote in south florida. I know the margins were large in south florida, but they should have been much much higher.

So Pelosi is having a celebration party in DC with a bunch of people who should be in their own states celebrating?

PogiJones

« Reply #27021 on: November 06, 2018, 11:38:22 PM »

Now we dance into the night and celebrate this glorious win for our country against pulp orange juice.

(Image removed from quote.)

Nah, I like agra. And I don't ignore unless it's really an extreme case. I think people need to be exposed to people they don't particularly get along with. It's good for you.

Breh, how the fuck are you going to passive aggressively object to what I said and then verify the accuracy of my statement in the same post?

It's like when MGK tried to diss Eminem by saying he's the greatest of all time.

That was more directed at Mandark than you. Sorry dude. And I wasn't contesting that I wouldn't stick around. Mostly just the imagery of crawling into a hole being derogatory. But again, mostly Mandark, which was straight up post-count nonsense right from RE.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 11:42:24 PM by PogiJones »

agrajag

« Reply #27022 on: November 06, 2018, 11:39:26 PM »
Cindi has a hate boner for me, Pogi  :lol

Himu

« Reply #27023 on: November 06, 2018, 11:41:16 PM »
Lot of focus on rural votes but to me the big takeaways tonight: GOP collapse in the Midwest and GOP dominance in the south. Media tends to ignore complex issues or stories that play out over a period of time...and clearly they missed the boat on what's happening here. The economy is doing good yet Trump's numbers have collapsed throughout the Midwest. Because this trade war is fucking over multiple businesses and farmers. The Midwest is the one place Trump can't afford to lose ground, and yet he's digging his own grave

Yeah he's done if he loses the midwest. Think they'll flip in 2020? The midwest is still pretty red if you look at the map. Can you explain how the GOP is collapsing? I haven't been able to look too deeply at the midwest yet as I've been looking at Texas.

IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #27024 on: November 06, 2018, 11:47:45 PM »

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #27025 on: November 06, 2018, 11:48:16 PM »
Lot of focus on rural votes but to me the big takeaways tonight: GOP collapse in the Midwest and GOP dominance in the south. Media tends to ignore complex issues or stories that play out over a period of time...and clearly they missed the boat on what's happening here. The economy is doing good yet Trump's numbers have collapsed throughout the Midwest. Because this trade war is fucking over multiple businesses and farmers. The Midwest is the one place Trump can't afford to lose ground, and yet he's digging his own grave

Yeah he's done if he loses the midwest. Think they'll flip in 2020? The midwest is still pretty red if you look at the map. Can you explain how the GOP is collapsing? I haven't been able to look too deeply at the midwest yet as I've been looking at Texas.

Trump co-opted some popular Dem policy goals during his campaign: big infrastructure spending, protecting Medicare and Social Security, lowering drug prices, etc. Even repealing the ACA was described as a step towards something which would get everybody covered for cheap. He had no record as an elected official on those things to call out and the Clinton campaign ran ads targeting his moral character rather than those issues.

As president he signed a big corporate tax cut, imposed some tariffs, jacked up rates for people who get coverage through the exchanges, and supported a lawsuit trying to get rid of protections for people with pre-existing conditions.

Maybe his force of personality wins back those areas once he's on the ballot again, but he conceded a lot of policy direction to the Paul Ryan wing of the party and that shit ain't popular.

Nola

« Reply #27026 on: November 06, 2018, 11:49:43 PM »
On another positive note, we managed to finally overcome one of the original vestiges of Jim Crow in Louisiana in the year of our lord 2018.

We will no longer have non-unanimous jury convictions on felony charges. Yes, that was a thing until now.

agrajag

« Reply #27027 on: November 06, 2018, 11:50:12 PM »

Trump co-opted some popular Dem policy goals during his campaign: big infrastructure spending, protecting Medicare and Social Security, lowering drug prices, etc. Even repealing the ACA was described as a step towards something which would get everybody covered for cheap. He had no record as an elected official on those things to call out and the Clinton campaign ran ads targeting his moral character rather than those issues.

As president he signed a big corporate tax cut, imposed some tariffs, jacked up rates for people who get coverage through the exchanges, and supported a lawsuit trying to get rid of protections for people with pre-existing conditions.

Maybe his force of personality wins back those areas once he's on the ballot again, but he conceded a lot of policy direction to the Paul Ryan wing of the party and that shit ain't popular.

Good news: now he can concede policy direction to Nancy Pelosi and win back those midwest voters!

shosta

« Reply #27028 on: November 06, 2018, 11:50:20 PM »
jfc CURLY. Check out the chapo livestream right now. Matt is so fucking plastered he was blurting out that Measure B song again and is completely incomprehensible.

edit: ok they cut off the stream so they could put him to bed :rofl
每天生气

Himu

« Reply #27029 on: November 06, 2018, 11:51:47 PM »
All the D's I voted for lost besides local elections. Maybe PD's right and it's just the fact that Texas is red. I don't know anymore.

I read that Trump's ratings have tanked with independents so there's hope down the line. But it's not a guarantee either.

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #27030 on: November 06, 2018, 11:53:05 PM »
CNN is reporting that Democrats could be +35, PD. :gladbron
IYKYK

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #27031 on: November 06, 2018, 11:55:37 PM »
jfc CURLY. Check out the chapo livestream right now. Matt is so fucking plastered he was blurting out that Measure B song again and is completely incomprehensible.

edit: ok they cut off the stream so they could put him to bed :rofl

lol I was just watching, he's gonna die

shosta

« Reply #27032 on: November 06, 2018, 11:56:30 PM »
pretty sure he had that entire bottle of rum to himself
每天生气

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #27033 on: November 06, 2018, 11:56:58 PM »
Banter heuristic dictates that in 2020:

Trump loses the popular vote by even more than he did in 2016 but still wins.

OR

Dem beats Trump while GOP picks up Senate seats, is hit with a huge recession in January 2021 and confirms literally no judges.

Nola

« Reply #27034 on: November 06, 2018, 11:59:29 PM »

Good news: now he can concede policy direction to Nancy Pelosi and win back those midwest voters!

It is going to be interesting to see where Trump bends(or refuses to) given the Republican gains in the Senate.

Pelosi can probably get passed quite a lot of popular legislation(drug price negotiation, ACA stability, superficial pre-existing condition protections, infrastructure spending, creative tax bills, immigration reform etc.) and Trump is either going to have to go to war with his party(unlikely) or continue bending over backwards to the Republican hardline and play the tribalism game into 2020 and hope his culture wars(and a healthy economy) can overcome all else....Or maybe Mitch sees it through a Newt style zero sum lens and he lets moderates vote on a bunch of legislation, and because Dems still aren't that cynical or smart to play the game the way it is played today, will basically let Trump get all these easy wins thinking it will demonstrate why they are fit to govern and in reality is just used as evidence to support Republican governance. Like has basically always happened.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm just rambling, really
[close]

Himu

« Reply #27035 on: November 07, 2018, 12:00:19 AM »
Stacey Adams won her primary which was obvious. She will lose the race though. This factors into what TVC and I were talking about earlier. Her words:

I guess this raises a philosophical quandry:

Do you go 100 and wear your heart on your sleeve to cater to your base to appear authentic orrrrr do  you maybe reduce it a bit and play to moderates? What's the better strategy? Is it better to lose as a progressive than win as a moderate?
IYKYK

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #27036 on: November 07, 2018, 12:01:37 AM »
My prediction: Dems are gonna subpeona Trump's tax records, he's gonna take that very personally, and it's trench warfare from there on out.

shosta

« Reply #27037 on: November 07, 2018, 12:01:52 AM »
why would pelosi push through drug price negotiation when she didn't in 2008
 :comeon
每天生气

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #27038 on: November 07, 2018, 12:06:49 AM »
Guys, I think I got it figured out.

What Democrats need to do to win is what I would want them to do anyway, and it would be easy.

Why would it help Dems if they introduced a constitutional amendment to make you a Bore mod?

Saw this post like an hour ago but couldn't think of a good joke then.  Came back 4 pages when I thought of one.

Nola

« Reply #27039 on: November 07, 2018, 12:07:11 AM »
why would pelosi push through drug price negotiation when she didn't in 2008
 :comeon

My feeling? Same reason Republicans passed 257 ACA repeal bills from 2010-2016

Shit is a lot easier to get popular support from your party when its viewed as entirely symbolic, or it's pretty much all win/win.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 12:11:28 AM by Nola »

Himu

« Reply #27040 on: November 07, 2018, 12:10:32 AM »
Because it was 2008 and the Democratic party is different now. What a dumb shit question. "Why would Democrats support marriage equality? Obama didn't support it in 2008! In 2008 Democrats were strongly anti-illegal immigrant, why would they support illegals more now?"

Unfortunately saw that Shosta post from Nola's quote! :stop
IYKYK

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #27041 on: November 07, 2018, 12:12:17 AM »
Hearing van jones reciting bernies talking points from his early presidential run days is hilarious.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #27042 on: November 07, 2018, 12:15:26 AM »
Because it was 2008 and the Democratic party is different now. What a dumb shit question. "Why would Democrats support marriage equality? Obama didn't support it in 2008! In 2008 Democrats were strongly anti-illegal immigrant, why would they support illegals more now?"

Had Dems not pushed for gay marriage, 2018 would have looked a lot like 2008.  This is why backing down on unappealing social issues and just focusing on what appeals to locals would be bad.

Himu

« Reply #27043 on: November 07, 2018, 12:18:03 AM »

Had Dems not pushed for gay marriage, 2018 would have looked a lot like 2008.  This is why backing down on unappealing social issues and just focusing on what appeals to locals would be bad.

That's a fair point, but just because something is unappealing social issue doesn't mean it's right or worth pursuing. Sometimes you're just wrong on the issue.
IYKYK

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #27044 on: November 07, 2018, 12:18:31 AM »
Reminder: there's a non-negligible chance that Robert Mueller pops back up and says "the president's son did some crimes" and things get really nuts.

shosta

« Reply #27045 on: November 07, 2018, 12:20:28 AM »
Ok, Mandark. You win. The investigation isn't coming to a close and it will be buttressed by auxiliary house investigations now.
每天生气

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #27046 on: November 07, 2018, 12:20:43 AM »
I think santorum is still trying to run for president. He just tried to throw both obama and trump under the same bus. yikes

El Babua

« Reply #27047 on: November 07, 2018, 12:25:43 AM »
South Florida pls secede from the rest of Florida

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #27048 on: November 07, 2018, 12:33:05 AM »
Ok, Mandark. You win. The investigation isn't coming to a close and it will be buttressed by auxiliary house investigations now.

Probably House investigations into multiple cabinet members too. Ross, Zinke, Carson, am I missing anyone?

shosta

« Reply #27049 on: November 07, 2018, 12:38:58 AM »
Probably House investigations into multiple cabinet members too. Ross, Zinke, Carson, am I missing anyone?
https://www.propublica.org/article/democrats-vow-investigation-of-va-shadow-rulers-after-propublica-story

wilkie
每天生气

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #27050 on: November 07, 2018, 12:54:39 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Nah, I like agra. And I don't ignore unless it's really an extreme case. I think people need to be exposed to people they don't particularly get along with. It's good for you.

That was more directed at Mandark than you. Sorry dude. And I wasn't contesting that I wouldn't stick around. Mostly just the imagery of crawling into a hole being derogatory. But again, mostly Mandark, which was straight up post-count nonsense right from RE.

Eh, stick around. Mandark is abrasive, but your posts are generally pretty even-headed, and people will get over you posting in the trash-fire thread eventually if you post elsewhere.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Plus how else am I going to get nudes from you.
[close]

Himu

« Reply #27051 on: November 07, 2018, 01:07:47 AM »
IYKYK

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #27052 on: November 07, 2018, 01:13:56 AM »
In Maryland our moderate Republican governor got reelected easily but with no coattails.

Corey Stewart getting smoked in Virginia, which is nice.

kingv

« Reply #27053 on: November 07, 2018, 01:22:06 AM »
realistically, this is a pretty good night for Dems.

Only big disappointment is FL.

kingv

« Reply #27054 on: November 07, 2018, 01:22:56 AM »
also surprised how many of these red states voted for medicaid expansion.

Shit doesn't really make sense.

Himu

« Reply #27055 on: November 07, 2018, 01:23:14 AM »
Yeah I can’t come away disapppointed here. Democrats gained actual government power which is what they needed.
IYKYK

Nola

« Reply #27056 on: November 07, 2018, 01:27:40 AM »
And Beto can run for president now.

So solid night given what Dems were up against.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #27057 on: November 07, 2018, 01:28:39 AM »

One thing the poli-sci nerds got right back in the day was that once the ACA was implemented, people would gradually start to take its benefits for granted and associate those less with Obama.

Not just the Medicaid expansion, but the attempt to roll back pre-existing conditions coverage, which blew up in the GOP's face so badly you had candidates just flat-out lying about their position.

Nola

« Reply #27058 on: November 07, 2018, 01:30:52 AM »

One thing the poli-sci nerds got right back in the day was that once the ACA was implemented, people would gradually start to take its benefits for granted and associate those less with Obama.

Not just the Medicaid expansion, but the attempt to roll back pre-existing conditions coverage, which blew up in the GOP's face so badly you had candidates just flat-out lying about their position.

Speaking of this, the imminent ruling that seems likely to strip those protections should add to the looming fireworks.

Probably one of the early tests with how this Congress/presidential relationship is going to play out.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #27059 on: November 07, 2018, 01:34:49 AM »
And that's a reminder that the Medicaid expansion was designed to be mandatory but was changed to an opt-in by the SCOTUS ruling where they almost struck down the mandate, based on reasoning which gives me a headache to this day (and I think Kagan joined with as some horse-trading to get Roberts on the main issue).