Author Topic: DOJ |OT| SUMMIT NOW SUMMIT NOW  (Read 900386 times)

nachobro

• Live Más
Re: DOJ |OT| SUMMIT NOW SUMMIT NOW
« Reply #8280 on: January 03, 2020, 03:07:18 PM »
who is Phantom Thief?

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #8281 on: January 03, 2020, 03:09:23 PM »
Me :pimp
(ice)

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #8282 on: January 03, 2020, 03:12:00 PM »
who is Phantom Thief?

Someone who made a million threads a day and demanded a self ban after people kept quoting his "I hope he gets what he deserves" comment about the indie dev who ended up committing suicide.

10centtacos

« Reply #8283 on: January 03, 2020, 03:12:18 PM »
who is Phantom Thief?
Anime avatar
Posted gaming threads non-stop
Left because he got called out during some drama (think it was related to that Smash guy who killed himself)

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #8284 on: January 03, 2020, 03:12:24 PM »
Like this post if you love big ass titties and don’t care about the dumb shit these cunts are reeing about

Margs

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #8285 on: January 03, 2020, 03:17:04 PM »
Like this post if you love big ass titties and don’t care about the dumb shit these cunts are reeing about

(Image removed from quote.)
her belly button is a vagina :noah

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #8286 on: January 03, 2020, 03:19:28 PM »
yeah about gobblin dis dick

ResetBanBot

« Reply #8287 on: January 03, 2020, 03:20:42 PM »

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #8288 on: January 03, 2020, 03:21:38 PM »
Is she day dreaming about food there?

cuntous
Margs

ResetBanBot

« Reply #8289 on: January 03, 2020, 03:29:04 PM »

are all the mods asleep or something? I'm shocked they're not just closing every contentious thread at this point. They can't discuss anything without entering into the biggest elephant in the room because they've been holding it back so long.

Hermit

« Reply #8290 on: January 03, 2020, 03:30:58 PM »
Another summit is coming, friends.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #8291 on: January 03, 2020, 03:39:27 PM »
you're stranded on an island the size of a basketball court in the middle of the pacific, a giant turtle rocks up and sits on the other end of the island. It moves a little closer everytime to you look away. If you fall asleep it will most assuredly snap your dick off with its turtle beak.

cells interlinked.

how does it feel to have a turtle beak on our penis?

interlinked.

within cells interlinked.

dreadfully.

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #8292 on: January 03, 2020, 03:46:09 PM »
Cummit 2020

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #8293 on: January 03, 2020, 03:46:55 PM »
make a cummitment  ;)

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #8294 on: January 03, 2020, 03:48:22 PM »
ὕβρις

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #8295 on: January 03, 2020, 03:48:26 PM »
Cum summit 2020
It's spelled "Furcon".

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #8296 on: January 03, 2020, 04:02:12 PM »

I'M READY
每天生气

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #8297 on: January 03, 2020, 04:12:56 PM »
:confused

that's literally what the topic is about.

Well that's strange; because I was discussing Lindsey's views on the "announce your pronouns" issue and how/why it was controversial, and not the other issue of the reaction to her comments / cancel culture.

But:

But totally get you are incapable of having conversations like that, so cheers.

at least I can get her fucking name right  ::)

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #8298 on: January 03, 2020, 04:26:53 PM »
rektous

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #8299 on: January 03, 2020, 04:31:50 PM »

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #8300 on: January 03, 2020, 04:32:37 PM »
i think he's pointing out her name is Natalie, not Lindsay

however its easy to forget cause :no1curr

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #8301 on: January 03, 2020, 04:46:52 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)
her belly button is a vagina :noah

Um if your piece could fit in there you got problems brah

:dayum

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #8302 on: January 03, 2020, 05:28:03 PM »
Full agreement here. The most frustrating thing about the 'harassment' montage is that some of the tweets being centered are pretty anodyne, and it's also not obvious to me from what's shown that they're directed at her specifically in the first place. They mention her by name, yes, but aren't actually part of her experience unless she's actively looking for them by way of namesearching or google alerts. Most of the accounts I recognize and have followed or interacted with notably were not directing their criticisms into interactions with her.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/contrapoints-canceling.162603/post-27922130

:brain

Averon

« Reply #8303 on: January 03, 2020, 05:37:09 PM »
I guess ERA has come full circle. If they used those same arguments denying online harassment in any other context, they would be banned and accused of adopting "GG tactics."

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #8304 on: January 03, 2020, 06:04:56 PM »
This is an EtcetEra thread that isn't about a Disney property as such it is now locked.

In future please do not make threads that invite meta-commentary and mod whining.
Fun over
🤴

Crumb

• *cough*
« Reply #8305 on: January 03, 2020, 06:13:47 PM »
This is an EtcetEra thread that isn't about a Disney property as such it is now locked.

In future please do not make threads that invite meta-commentary and mod whining.
Fun over

joeboy101

• TheBore rulez
« Reply #8306 on: January 03, 2020, 06:35:17 PM »
How y’all missing this?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/please-welcome-your-new-general-manager-b-dubs.162842/

Quote from: Cerium
So today I am relinquishing my involvement in day to day operations here on ResetEra, including staff management, moderation, policy creation, etc. Of course I never handled any of that by myself; the staff have always done everything as a team, and that collaborative spirit will endure. Going forward I do not intend to have a direct hand in anything but industry outreach and logistical support. I'll be on indefinite hiatus for the foreseeable future.

B-Dubs is your new General Manager. This is an enormous responsibility, requiring more work (and more stress!) than you might think. I really respect his courage and enthusiasm in taking this on.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #8307 on: January 03, 2020, 06:37:33 PM »
How y’all missing this?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/please-welcome-your-new-general-manager-b-dubs.162842/

So today I am relinquishing my involvement in day to day operations here on ResetEra, including staff management, moderation, policy creation, etc. Of course I never handled any of that by myself; the staff have always done everything as a team, and that collaborative spirit will endure. Going forward I do not intend to have a direct hand in anything but industry outreach and logistical support. I'll be on indefinite hiatus for the foreseeable future.

B-Dubs is your new General Manager. This is an enormous responsibility, requiring more work (and more stress!) than you might think. I really respect his courage and enthusiasm in taking this on.
The ball washing of Cerium by the other mods in that thread is making even Evilore blush
🤴

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #8308 on: January 03, 2020, 06:37:41 PM »
How y’all missing this?

:lol

clothedmacuser

• Defender of Centrist Scum
« Reply #8309 on: January 03, 2020, 06:40:55 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/is-it-just-me-or-have-postings-on-era-kind-of-slowed-down.162792/post-27920055

Quote from: Speevy
When I see "read staff post", I think "Oh shit they can't discuss cheeseburgers either."

pretty blatant, "speevy"
sigh

Tripon

« Reply #8310 on: January 03, 2020, 06:42:31 PM »
Hello everyone! This is a huge honor and responsibility. To tell you the truth, I’m not entirely sure how to feel about all of this. That probably goes for a bunch of you as well. For years, since the site’s inception, Cerium has been a big part of the team and keeping the trains running on time. Looking at everything he’s done behind the scenes to prepare for this handover has shown me just how much trust he’s placing in me and how much the community has depended on his work, often without even realizing it. So, I would like to thank him for the vote of confidence and for keeping vigil for all this time. None of this would exist without him. If anyone deserves a break, it’s him. Thank you for everything you have done for all of us.

I wasn’t one of the launch mods, but I was brought onto the team in the first months of the site’s history. I had to be convinced by friends to accept the position. The argument that worked was that I would be able to help make sure that we rejected and banned the alt right trolls, gamergaters, and the rest of the scum of the internet. I know first hand how hard we’ve worked to keep the worst of the internet off the site, and we want to do more. We’ll never be perfect or make everyone happy, but I can promise that we’ll do the best we can. In my life, I have always tried to be a better person than I was the day before--smarter, more empathetic, more responsive to the needs of others--and I will bring that same attitude to this position. As a team we will always strive to do better each day.

Last April I helped organize a forum-wide event that resulted in a few hundred members getting tags, we’ve been calling it the Thanos event. About 1000 people signed up for a 50-50 chance at getting banned for a month and those that remained were tasked with solving puzzles for the month. Some were hilariously simple, others not so much. I’d like to think we all had a lot of fun with it and I would like to do that sort of thing more often. There have been a few members of staff that have pitched ideas for events like this and we’ll be looking to make them happen in the next year. Just fun things for members of the site to do, a reminder that we are all here to make our lives a little brighter.

Beyond that, there are other ideas for new features that we’d like to explore. Things similar in spirit to GiftBot, things that will hopefully be as big a hit and allow people to have a bit more fun with other members on the site. I won’t go into any details yet, simply because organizing development is always a challenge and there’s no telling what might happen in the future, but everyone involved in the discussions so far has been excited.

Other than the fact that I am now in charge of the running of the site, I don’t imagine much will change right away. In terms of moderation we will still give the bigots, trolls, and horrors of the internet no quarter. Anyone that knows me, either on here or in real life, knows that I’ve always fought those things as hard as I can. I will do the same as general manager. I don’t imagine that I will be perfect or get everything right on the first attempt, but I trust and love the people around me and I think that, together, we can meet and exceed your expectations.

Also, can we cut out the platform warring? It’s driving me a bit mad. New consoles are coming, they’re going to be awesome, can we just have fun?

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #8311 on: January 03, 2020, 06:46:18 PM »
B dubs?

:neogaf

I guess cerium finally has to testify.

BisMarckie

« Reply #8312 on: January 03, 2020, 06:46:31 PM »
How y’all missing this?

:lol

Imagine doing this shit for free :sabu

BisMarckie

« Reply #8313 on: January 03, 2020, 06:47:29 PM »
B dubs?

:neogaf

Which other idiot would be willing to be a GM for a LLC without pay?

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #8314 on: January 03, 2020, 06:48:57 PM »
Last April I helped organize a forum-wide event that resulted in a few hundred members getting tags, we’ve been calling it the Thanos event. About 1000 people signed up for a 50-50 chance at getting banned for a month and those that remained were tasked with solving puzzles for the month. Some were hilariously simple, others not so much. I’d like to think we all had a lot of fun with it and I would like to do that sort of thing more often. There have been a few members of staff that have pitched ideas for events like this and we’ll be looking to make them happen in the next year. Just fun things for members of the site to do, a reminder that we are all here to make our lives a little brighter.

I can't help but think this event is sitting on a resume or application IRL.

Tripon

« Reply #8315 on: January 03, 2020, 06:50:16 PM »
Game journalism as a profession isn't as stable as it used to be, so I don't blame him for trying to get out when he could. I have a really bad feeling that next-gen is going to serve as the death knell for traditional games media, even moreso than this gen. Most of the big sites can only muster views in the few hundred thousands now. It seems like younger gamers don't consume traditional games media and are more likely to just watch streamers or influencers. Podcasting doesn't seem as lucrative as it used to be either. They were pushing subs hard this year. I just hope Giant Bomb and Waypoint survive as long as they can.
Nobody tell him.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/dan-ryckert-is-leaving-giant-bomb-to-become-a-podcast-producer-at-wwe.162753/post-27923792

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #8317 on: January 03, 2020, 06:56:53 PM »
A LLC cannot be controlled by one person™ but maybe it works with 0 ?
ὕβρις

benjipwns

« Reply #8318 on: January 03, 2020, 07:12:01 PM »
Poor Cerium now has to just cash the checks without having to come up with new ways to say "not my problem" to the ads. :fbm

benjipwns

« Reply #8319 on: January 03, 2020, 07:13:41 PM »
The Final Ascension of PoliGAF's Worst. :jeb

benjipwns

« Reply #8320 on: January 03, 2020, 07:19:37 PM »

Beyond that, there are other ideas for new features that we’d like to explore. Things similar in spirit to GiftBot, things that will hopefully be as big a hit and allow people to have a bit more fun with other members on the site. I won’t go into any details yet, simply because organizing development is always a challenge and there’s no telling what might happen in the future, but everyone involved in the discussions so far has been excited.

Other than the fact that I am now in charge of the running of the site, I don’t imagine much will change right away. In terms of moderation we will still give the bigots, trolls, and horrors of the internet no quarter. Anyone that knows me, either on here or in real life, knows that I’ve always fought those things as hard as I can. I will do the same as general manager. I don’t imagine that I will be perfect or get everything right on the first attempt, but I trust and love the people around me and I think that, together, we can meet and exceed your expectations.

Also, can we cut out the platform warring? It’s driving me a bit mad. New consoles are coming, they’re going to be awesome, can we just have fun?

benjipwns

« Reply #8321 on: January 03, 2020, 07:22:09 PM »
Considering there wasn't enough revenue or at least revenue sharing to keep the "other owners" happy enough to stick around I doubt there's that much revenue?  Either that or Cerium took a hugely disproportionate amount of shares.

They wouldn't have instantly generated the same money NeoGAF was making with the same amount of traffic; might not even be close.  In it's prime NeoGAF's SEO was on point.
There's barely any expenses, so it's straight profit. And Cerium even figured out a way to prevent the user base from growing to prevent the costs from growing!

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #8322 on: January 03, 2020, 07:29:59 PM »
Dat B-Dubs post :neogaf

The argument that worked was that I would be able to help make sure that we rejected and banned the alt right trolls, gamergaters, and the rest of the scum of the internet. I know first hand how hard we’ve worked to keep the worst of the internet off the site, and we want to do more.

:salute

:wiseau
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

Coffee Dog

« Reply #8324 on: January 03, 2020, 07:36:30 PM »
Leadership handover at the site's most unstable period, promises to further clamp down on foreign threats :neogaf

It's everything i could have asked for!

benjipwns

« Reply #8325 on: January 03, 2020, 07:37:07 PM »
I mean compared to a normal business, sure..  but that kind of traffic requires a somewhat competent backend.   Tech cost to run the site wouldn't be massive but either are ad revenues unless you also know what you are doing there.  So even a moderate cost can cut into revenues as we aren't talking THAT MUCH revenue.
Costs are comparatively small anymore for hosting a forum, you just hire a decent host and it's all taken care of without any human intervention needed. He's in the high five to low six figures range pretty easily using the known data. If he wasn't already rich he'd still not have to work. I think the napkin calculation Null of KiwiFarms made for people was a bit high, and like you mentioned their SEO is actually pretty shit, but it's still a pretty easily acquired chunk of change. Especially since Cerium literally has to do nothing but make sure it's up.

I don't imagine he's making anything like Lore was for a brief period, but that didn't last long anyway. Then his forum split in half a few years later. Now that it's finally been upgraded I assume GAF doesn't cost anywhere near as much per user to run as it used to. And not just because of the split, it's not a backend kludge anymore. He's probably making some money off it again really.

benjipwns

« Reply #8326 on: January 03, 2020, 07:39:36 PM »
Is that a former owner?
No, she's just doing what we all do and mocking how people were offended at how NeoGAF.com didn't pay its moderators, let alone the day-to-day admins who did things like write ModBot, and how ResetERA.com was a reset era that would start fresh and revision how moderator culture worked. Now here we are back to a forum where the admins aren't even the owner and nobody's paid but the owner and there's fifty moderators with a goal not a plan.

shosta

« Reply #8327 on: January 03, 2020, 07:43:21 PM »
She also got royalan demodded because she was bored. Salute
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 07:58:27 PM by shosta »
每天生气

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #8328 on: January 03, 2020, 07:48:58 PM »
There's enough dumb shits that got EraClear(TM) and of course there's plenty of Nintendo blogs linking to ResetEra whenever they have some 'insider' news to bring in more ad revenue.
Which means that overall Cerium is probably making some good money with this thing.
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #8329 on: January 03, 2020, 07:57:24 PM »
They're using Cloudfare CDN services so I'm not sure about hosting but the Pro plan with a load balancer should come in at $25 a/month and the bigger plan $200 a month.
A VPS with near unlimited data would set you back about $20 - $50 a month tops. Because the forum doesn't require a lot of storage.

So what you're looking at is a monthly cost anywhere between $100 - $250 a month and perhaps $500 during 'peak hours' such as E3.
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #8330 on: January 03, 2020, 07:59:13 PM »
I think it's just on AWS?

shosta

« Reply #8331 on: January 03, 2020, 07:59:44 PM »
每天生气

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #8332 on: January 03, 2020, 07:59:57 PM »
bdubs is pretty insane to take over operations for free so cerium can sit on his ass and get paid, even if that site isn't making that much money

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #8333 on: January 03, 2020, 08:00:38 PM »
I think it's just on AWS?
The IP 104.26.1.130 returns Cloudfare Inc.

🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #8334 on: January 03, 2020, 08:01:09 PM »
What do you think the traffic is? What about if The Bire stopped visiting it with ad blockers off?

shosta

« Reply #8335 on: January 03, 2020, 08:01:27 PM »
Especially since he's a teacher now and he probably doesn't have a bunch of free time to be doing that

*glances at benji and BisMarckie*
每天生气

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #8336 on: January 03, 2020, 08:01:46 PM »
Probably the smartest move Cerium has done, abandon ship baby
fat

benjipwns

« Reply #8337 on: January 03, 2020, 08:01:52 PM »
The IP 104.26.1.130 returns Cloudfare Inc.
Cloudflare isn't a host, the domain name resolves to an Amazon server in Virginia. Lots of "hosts" that just use AWS give you Cloudflare for "free" too.

Averon

« Reply #8338 on: January 03, 2020, 08:01:55 PM »
Can you really blame Cerium? He sees the writing on the walls in regards to ERA. The increasing toxicity. The constant whining from the different interest groups. The traffic slowing down. What's the point of dealing with all that drama when you can sucker some other smuck to do it for free and cash on the peanuts the site makes?

shosta

« Reply #8339 on: January 03, 2020, 08:03:38 PM »
Probably the smartest move Cerium has done, abandon ship baby
please reopen registrations, Resetera refugees are trying to get in!

What if Sabrina tries to register!!
每天生气