Author Topic: DOJ |OT| SUMMIT NOW SUMMIT NOW  (Read 900296 times)

BisMarckie

Re: DOJ |OT| SUMMIT NOW SUMMIT NOW
« Reply #8340 on: January 03, 2020, 08:03:45 PM »
Especially since he's a teacher now and he probably doesn't have a bunch of free time to be doing that

*glances at benji and BisMarckie*

lol, if you aren't slacking off in academia, you are doing it wrong :heh

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #8341 on: January 03, 2020, 08:04:44 PM »
Can you really blame Cerium? He sees the writing on the walls in regards to ERA. The increasing toxicity. The constant whining from the different interest groups. The traffic slowing down. What's the point of dealing with all that drama when you can sucker some other smuck to do it for free and cash on the peanuts the site makes?
When has he ever "dealt" with it and not relied on the free labor?

A former member of his staff is the one who handled the KetKat Crisis and gave the foreword before the Summit they organized.

railGUN

• If my bones are breaking would you tell me that I'm weak?
« Reply #8342 on: January 03, 2020, 08:04:57 PM »
If the new "GM" isn't getting paid then Jesus Christ. Why on gods green earth would you take on a job like that for free, knowing someone else is making bank from all of your hard work and babysitting the likes of Nintendo fans etc.

:neogaf
Fish<

benjipwns

« Reply #8343 on: January 03, 2020, 08:06:13 PM »
The only thing that's changed is B-Dubs title. And now he gets to reply to the ad complaint thread. Hecht and B-Dubs and Finale Fireworker were pretty clearly running everything for the last year or so.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #8344 on: January 03, 2020, 08:06:16 PM »
A former member of his staff is the one who handled the KetKat Crisis and gave the foreword before the Summit they organized.
even though it was actually a preface :fbm
每天生气

benjipwns

« Reply #8345 on: January 03, 2020, 08:07:36 PM »
lol Cerium took his username off the staff page even though he's still the owner of the site

benjipwns

« Reply #8346 on: January 03, 2020, 08:10:20 PM »
Especially since he's a teacher now and he probably doesn't have a bunch of free time to be doing that

*glances at benji and BisMarckie*

lol, if you aren't slacking off in academia, you are doing it wrong :heh
It's called research and preparation time. Don't lie to these people. :ufup

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #8347 on: January 03, 2020, 08:12:04 PM »
Probably the smartest move Cerium has done, abandon ship baby
:success

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #8348 on: January 03, 2020, 08:12:33 PM »
Again I think you guys are overestimating what a simple VPS host can do with those seemingly super cheap prices.   Those are usually intro prices anyways and once you start hitting a certain traffic threshold your site can't be handled by what they advertise anyways.
That's what I was thinking as well but ResetEra doesn't actually 'host' anything beyond text.
All the images and ads are linked and embedded from external sources and servers (i.e. no data use for Ree).
The only thing self hosted are the avatars, which by the time you hit 10 threads are already cached on your HDD.

I don't see anything on the site that would make their hosting expensive.

🤴

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #8349 on: January 03, 2020, 08:13:38 PM »
I think it's just on AWS?
The IP 104.26.1.130 returns Cloudfare Inc.

Aren't cloudfare Nazis?

benjipwns

« Reply #8350 on: January 03, 2020, 08:16:10 PM »
They can afford my $4300 a month Mod Admiral fee, along with a 10% raise every quarter and 5% bonus for every "Duration Pending" turned into a "permanent" as agreed to in the CBA.

BisMarckie

« Reply #8351 on: January 03, 2020, 08:19:32 PM »

It's called research and preparation time. Don't lie to these people. :ufup

I am still working hard to incorporate my encompassing research on dunkey videos into my history of law class. We should hold a conference where we discuss this on the tax payers dime.

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #8353 on: January 03, 2020, 08:21:59 PM »
Again I think you guys are overestimating what a simple VPS host can do with those seemingly super cheap prices.   Those are usually intro prices anyways and once you start hitting a certain traffic threshold your site can't be handled by what they advertise anyways.
That's what I was thinking as well but ResetEra doesn't actually 'host' anything beyond text.
All the images and ads are linked and embedded from external sources and servers (i.e. no data use for Ree).
The only thing self hosted are the avatars, which by the time you hit 10 threads are already cached on your HDD.

I don't see anything on the site that would make their hosting expensive.

Swear to god dude STFU

Text based systems can still be incredibly costly;  you are such a fucking dolt.
I'm talking about hosting. And literally the only thing you pay for with hosting is what you upload to your server, plus what the visitors of your website/forum whatever use.
if it's a bunch of avatars and pages filled with text, with very little CSS and no self-hosted images... hosting costs will be low.

Expensive shit is people streaming movies on your website or having people download/upload (large) files. But as I said, ResetEra hosts nothing of that themselves.
Especially if they use Amazon and you pay as you go, it won't be a massive investment. The footprint of a page on REE minus all the externally hosted elements is 54kb. Which is next to nothing in terms of data.
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #8354 on: January 03, 2020, 08:23:40 PM »
I am still working hard to incorporate my encompassing research on dunkey videos into my history of law class. We should hold a conference where we discuss this on the tax payers dime.
I will send you the very small select few dates on which I don't have more than one thing on my schedule, totally filling it and the next couple days.

BisMarckie

« Reply #8355 on: January 03, 2020, 08:29:06 PM »

I will send you the very small select few dates on which I don't have more than one thing on my schedule, totally filling it and the next couple days.

Unfortunately my university doesn't have the ressources to host this conference. :(
therefore the only logical choice would be a town that has a lot of hotels and accomodations ready, which for some inexplicable reason results in these conferences being held at universities near a beach.

benjipwns

« Reply #8356 on: January 03, 2020, 08:29:31 PM »
Nintex, me and riotous are disagreeing more about what the size of overall traffic actually looks like than anything you're trying to specify in detail, he thinks it's a magnitude (pop pop) higher than I do. My speculation to the profit figure is based entirely around that they're in that semi-sweet spot of traffic where your costs aren't inflating due to it.

To put it another way, riotous thinks they've been kicked up to level 3 or 4 services, I think they're managing just at the peak of level 2 and/or coming in just under level 3 often enough to where the other 11 months will pay for an E3. (Although that does raise the question of if they had any kind of E3 deluge like GAF would get. I suspect they might not have had one this year at least looking at the unique users graph.)

Hermit

« Reply #8357 on: January 03, 2020, 08:29:56 PM »
hey um, riotous? you okay?

benjipwns

« Reply #8358 on: January 03, 2020, 08:32:05 PM »
hey um, riotous? you okay?
No, he believed in Cerium and only Cerium. And now he's gone.

joeboy101

• TheBore rulez
« Reply #8359 on: January 03, 2020, 08:33:51 PM »
Probably the smartest move Cerium has done, abandon ship baby

B-Dubs agreed to being an official lightning rod, Cerium sits on his ass and avoids flak while collecting any revenue, and B-Dubs gets nothing but a title change and more responsibilities?

:brain

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #8360 on: January 03, 2020, 08:35:19 PM »
Jesus Christ STFU.   

Every second resetera is handling thousands of web requests that then execute various code including several thousand more per-second database / cache hit queries.

The fact it's not a lot of data is irrelevant;  data costs are a fraction of server costs for the vast majority of non video based web sites.
It would be interesting to know if they use a SQL or NoSQL solution. For NoSQL AWS charges $0.25 per million read request units, while for SQL it's usually charged by the 'hour'.

Nintex, me and riotous are disagreeing more about what the size of overall traffic actually looks like than anything you're trying to specify in detail, he thinks it's a magnitude (pop pop) higher than I do. My speculation to the profit figure is based entirely around that they're in that semi-sweet spot of traffic where your costs aren't inflating due to it.

To put it another way, riotous thinks they've been kicked up to level 3 or 4 services, I think they're managing just at the peak of level 2 and/or coming in just under level 3 often enough to where the other 11 months will pay for an E3. (Although that does raise the question of if they had any kind of E3 deluge like GAF would get. I suspect they might not have had one this year at least looking at the unique users graph.)
I'm with you on that because I don't think the particular services they need or use send up red flags at Amazon that they need to move to a higher tier.
If it's NoSQL than I'm pretty certain in fact and judging by the speed I would be surprised if it wasn't.
🤴

railGUN

« Reply #8361 on: January 03, 2020, 08:39:09 PM »
One thing I've noticed about nuGAF is that despite being the polar opposite of what it was, it's pretty much exactly the same. You have a group of posters with similar perspectives who gang up and infiltrate pretty much every non-gaming thread, and overwhelm any dissenting opinion by jerking each other off and shouting down anyone who dare disagree with them. And EviLore does everything he can to appease them, because the guy doesn't have any convictions. He does what he has to, to make money (and I can't really fault him for that), but damn it's funny to watch.

Remember when he banned the word "cunt"  :lol and when he banned smilies  :)

Goes from shaking Obama's hand, to sucking Trumps dick in just over 2 years.
Fish<

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #8362 on: January 03, 2020, 08:48:48 PM »
Wait this new dude's idea of a fun event was banning a bunch of people for no reason in celebration of a Marvel movie? He really is the perfect leader for that site. :lol

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #8363 on: January 03, 2020, 08:49:48 PM »
Also the site is scraping the bottom of the barrel with penny valued, garbage virus/redirect google ads. They aren't making any real money from it

benjipwns

« Reply #8364 on: January 03, 2020, 08:50:36 PM »
I think Xenforo requires MySQL? At least it used to.

Hermit

« Reply #8365 on: January 03, 2020, 08:52:33 PM »
I miss the days of having my own forum. 2009-2012 was a good time for my Zetaboard. :(

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #8366 on: January 03, 2020, 08:56:37 PM »
Who's going to tell the Ad team to cut out the bad ads?  :doge

railGUN

« Reply #8367 on: January 03, 2020, 08:58:11 PM »
If war breaks out and you are drafted into the military, what would you do?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/if-war-breaks-out-and-you-are-drafted-into-the-military-what-would-you-do.162804/post-27926829

I'm in the reserves but would rather die fighting for my country than flee like a coward.

lol this will go over well.
Fish<

Hermit

« Reply #8368 on: January 03, 2020, 09:01:36 PM »
lmao the draft will never come back

benjipwns

« Reply #8369 on: January 03, 2020, 09:02:07 PM »
Jerk off non stop till they let me go home.
Boy do I have some news for you buddy.

benjipwns

« Reply #8370 on: January 03, 2020, 09:02:43 PM »
I weigh 147lbs soaking wet

How many pizzas per day do you think I’d need to eat to disqualify myself via being overweight? lol
wouldn't it be easier to go the other way on short notice?

benjipwns

« Reply #8371 on: January 03, 2020, 09:06:28 PM »
all these people saying "conscientious objector" do realize that doesn't get you out of being drafted and never has anywhere right? it used to be a great way to visit both prison and wherever the war was!

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #8372 on: January 03, 2020, 09:09:16 PM »
of course not. they don't even realize there's zero chance of there being a draft :lol

benjipwns

« Reply #8373 on: January 03, 2020, 09:09:55 PM »
Quote from: RedMercury
Thanks for everything Cerium, I appreciate that you were always willing to listen to feedback and suggestions, you were always polite and considerate. Burnout is real, hope you are able to recharge and participate down the line.

Welcome B-Dubs, you're a good dude and wish you the best of luck in your new role.

Than God that Hecht guy isn't around anymore!

Edit: Whoops nevermind

SPOILER
;)

benjipwns

« Reply #8374 on: January 03, 2020, 09:18:45 PM »
of course not. they don't even realize there's zero chance of there being a draft :lol
They way they talk about it they also don't seem to realize how it operated even during Vietnam. Making remarks about Trump or Cheney is how it operated more broadly than they imagine. Deferments and never getting called was how most people experienced it. The brief period where they were drafting old school is what taught the military that they actually hated the draft for modern warfare. Took too long to train the draftees with zero experience. Plus they remained as problems beyond that.

I'm surprised that they would be so uniformed about subjects on there.

Hermit

« Reply #8375 on: January 03, 2020, 09:23:28 PM »
Knowing Ree they'll get worked up and off themselves because they think they'll be drafted

Tripon

clothedmacuser

• Defender of Centrist Scum
« Reply #8377 on: January 03, 2020, 09:34:47 PM »
I would totally get drafted and be such an elite special agent that I would singularly end the war Solid Snake style, "S" score.  It's a shame my morals dictate that I only punch out old ladies who call me the n-word (you know they want to) in the line at Golden Country Buffet.  But seeing as how they don't let non-white, non-Catholics in the military I have nothing to worry about.  Also I have severe issues with looking at phallic symbols of rape (PSR), that's my special word for stupid guns.

sigh

benjipwns

« Reply #8378 on: January 03, 2020, 09:35:51 PM »
OFFICIAL STAFF COMMUNICATION

Knock it off. This is a community thread, not a "let's bitch about about other posters" thread.
:doge

benjipwns

« Reply #8379 on: January 03, 2020, 09:37:42 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/us-department-of-defense-confirms-it-targeted-killed-qasem-soleimani-commander-of-irans-quds-force-outside-baghdad-airport.162675/post-27902791
Quote from: TheHunter116
User warned: inflammatory commentary in a sensitive thread
I think it's fair that when you make 50+ posts downplaying the severity of it, some people may think you're cool with it. Like you can see where people are coming from, yeah?
It started with me defending Warren and Biden from the inevitable Dems suck and guess what.

We managed to turn it into rhat. And also me apparently being for this because I dared argue killing a commander in a warzone wasn't a war crime.

I guess I'm cancelled!

User Banned (duration pending): inflammatory drive-by in a sensitive thread

The New Yorker did a wonderful article on the man about a decade ago.

Shame to hear that he passed away. RIP.
User Banned (Permanent): Inflammatory commentary in a sensitive thread; numerous previous infractions.

I guess it time for me to enlist because I m expecting war to be declared
User banned (1 week): trolling in a sensitive thread

I know this is supposed to be a serious situation but these memes have me cracking up man

[me in world war 3 memes]
User banned (1 week): Inflammatory commentary

I'm still waiting for a single notable politician to say that we're partially to blame for 9/11. By which I mean that we've been fucking up the middle east for so long, that it's no wonder people there grew to hold such a grudge against us and our culture, and a few of them decided to take out their anger on us.

But it's political suicide, so it will never happen.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 09:42:06 PM by benjipwns »

benjipwns

« Reply #8380 on: January 03, 2020, 09:38:17 PM »
ah yes, the good ol' reelection year war. A time honoured republican president tradition
:huh

benjipwns

« Reply #8381 on: January 03, 2020, 09:45:44 PM »
User Banned (2 Weeks): Condescending behaviour towards marginalised communities in a sensitive discussion.
I think you need to take your own advice. I said a pretty innocuous thing about people having some wider context and you’ve been having a complete wobble since.
It's easy for me to see based on what you've said you aren't educated on the subject.

User Banned (3 Months): Ableist Language and Inflammatory False Equivalence Surrounding Bigotry

When you start learning writing then one of the first things you learn is never to underestimate your readers, however, that only works when your messaging is clear and doesn't allow for 2 interpretations that are both valid and contradict each other.

That is what happened in TLJ, a lot. From Luke the magnificent symbol hero to the coward failure on the other side, Rose with the levelheaded action and positive message to the crazy in love traitor kamikaze that sabotages Finn where Holdo and Luke were allowed to succeed. Kylo the badass conflicted dude that frees himself from his master to the ranting crybaby that fails at everything etc etc etc.

There is value in not describing every detail and let the audience speculate a bit, but if the audience doesn't even agree on what was going on then that is a sign of weak messaging! That's also where the blame game comes from, suddenly we have the sjwarriors using the movie as a tool to further their college intellectual agenda and on the other end the incel racists that are too dumb to get the simplest of things in a movie for kids.

benjipwns

« Reply #8382 on: January 03, 2020, 09:51:48 PM »
Never forget the lesson of Episode III: You're either with me or against me. I identify as having the high ground.

railGUN

« Reply #8383 on: January 03, 2020, 09:51:49 PM »
There’s a place near where i live called the Waffle Brothers. I hate them with a passion. I curse their name every time i walk by. Never actually eaten there or heard much about them. I just hate them so much.

lol what the fuck?
Fish<

thetylerrob

« Reply #8384 on: January 03, 2020, 09:56:01 PM »
He got the ban because he said sjwarriors

benjipwns

« Reply #8385 on: January 03, 2020, 09:57:36 PM »
shosta help who do I change the leader of The Oppressed Peoples of ResetERA to?

benjipwns

« Reply #8386 on: January 03, 2020, 10:01:24 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/vendettas-you-have-against-local-businesses.162761/post-27911273
Quote from: Nepenthe
There's a small halal restaurant across the street from my old capoeira gym. Me, Mestre and his family went there after class one day. One of the dudes behind the counter- we'll call him Tucker- was wildin'.

Strike 1: My company was speaking to each other in Portuguese. Tucker decided the best way to broach them was to speak condescendingly in low-level Spanish. He continued this until the teacher ordered in English.

Strike 2: It's my turn to order. Now, I've never been to a halal place. Don't know what to really order. I politely ask, "Excuse me, what's in the white sauce?" Because I hate mayonnaise by itself. Tucker had a fit with me and said "No, I'm not answering that. We're on this. Do you want chicken or beef?" Alright Tucker.

Strike 3: As we're eating, Mestre's wife begins lamenting the treatment we all got at the counter. Mestre decides to do say something and calls over the manager. My teacher asks for Tucker's name, and says "I think Tucker is having a bad day, because he's not been treating the customers right." Tucker sees this and decides- in all of Tucker's wisdom- to come over and start another fight, loudly asking "What's the problem?!"

I'm thinking to myself: "This dude must be a Viking because even the child has a few belts. All four of us about to move furniture."

Ultimately no one got killed. The manager took him in the back and had it out with him. We got an apology and comped food.

But you know Tucker has done that shit before. Why he was there to begin with is beyond me. Fuck Tucker.
Ultimately no one got killed.

benjipwns

« Reply #8387 on: January 03, 2020, 10:03:57 PM »
-The local Kelly's Roast Beef. Gave my dad food poisoning once. That was over 25 years ago and they are still in business.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #8388 on: January 03, 2020, 10:12:23 PM »
Can you really blame Cerium? He sees the writing on the walls in regards to ERA. The increasing toxicity. The constant whining from the different interest groups. The traffic slowing down. What's the point of dealing with all that drama when you can sucker some other smuck to do it for free and cash on the peanuts the site makes?

:ohyeah

the big picture is becoming completely backseat nobody so you can't get unperson'd and have your site stolen out from under you when people discover your history of homophobia

although it seems having other people run your forum for you isn't working out so well for lowtax
Uncle

blame space

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #8390 on: January 03, 2020, 10:31:44 PM »
I like that the forum uses big text just to really reinforce the fact that they are old people

clothedmacuser

« Reply #8391 on: January 03, 2020, 10:31:46 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/vendettas-you-have-against-local-businesses.162761/post-27911273
Quote from: Nepenthe
There's a small halal restaurant across the street from my old capoeira gym. Me, Mestre and his family went there after class one day. One of the dudes behind the counter- we'll call him Tucker- was wildin'.

Strike 1: My company was speaking to each other in Portuguese. Tucker decided the best way to broach them was to speak condescendingly in low-level Spanish. He continued this until the teacher ordered in English.

Strike 2: It's my turn to order. Now, I've never been to a halal place. Don't know what to really order. I politely ask, "Excuse me, what's in the white sauce?" Because I hate mayonnaise by itself. Tucker had a fit with me and said "No, I'm not answering that. We're on this. Do you want chicken or beef?" Alright Tucker.

Strike 3: As we're eating, Mestre's wife begins lamenting the treatment we all got at the counter. Mestre decides to do say something and calls over the manager. My teacher asks for Tucker's name, and says "I think Tucker is having a bad day, because he's not been treating the customers right." Tucker sees this and decides- in all of Tucker's wisdom- to come over and start another fight, loudly asking "What's the problem?!"

I'm thinking to myself: "This dude must be a Viking because even the child has a few belts. All four of us about to move furniture."

Ultimately no one got killed. The manager took him in the back and had it out with him. We got an apology and comped food.

But you know Tucker has done that shit before. Why he was there to begin with is beyond me. Fuck Tucker.
Ultimately no one got killed.

lol, the thought of nepenthe and a family of 3 attacking a cashier with CAPOERIA and killing them is hilarious.  I bet it's what nepenthe thinks or as they warm up. " My dance/fake fighting will take down Tucker.  One day."
sigh

10centtacos

« Reply #8392 on: January 03, 2020, 10:41:07 PM »
Wow that Cerium thread has no momentum whatsoever. It’s a bunch of mods making their presence known for appearances sake.

:no1curr

benjipwns

« Reply #8393 on: January 03, 2020, 10:47:58 PM »
Wow that Cerium thread has no momentum whatsoever. It’s a bunch of mods making their presence known for appearances sake.

:no1curr
Just like this thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/best-mods-of-the-decade.162125/

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

Switters

« Reply #8394 on: January 03, 2020, 11:02:46 PM »
Eddy Gordo V. Mayonaise 2020.
troll

benjipwns

« Reply #8395 on: January 03, 2020, 11:06:17 PM »
SO WHAT WAS IN THE WHITE SAUCE

:rage

clothedmacuser

« Reply #8396 on: January 03, 2020, 11:10:14 PM »

We got a child who knows capoeria here!  With belts.  Stand back or you might be compelled to put 3 bucks in his hat while he dances.

Oh shit, the capoeria crew showed up.  Time to bounce. 
sigh

Tripon

Averon

« Reply #8398 on: January 03, 2020, 11:27:20 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/american-embassy-in-iraq-attacked.162206/page-4#post-27857601

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned

Rusty tried to be slick and use an alt and got got. He was banned only two days ago, so he got caught pretty quickly  :lol
Makes you wonder how many of them got alts ready to go.

Still says he's only doing a 3 month ban, but getting caught using alts should be an automatic downgrade to a perm ban.

nudemacusers

« Reply #8399 on: January 03, 2020, 11:27:25 PM »
How y’all missing this?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/please-welcome-your-new-general-manager-b-dubs.162842/

Quote from: Cerium
So today I am relinquishing my involvement in day to day operations here on ResetEra, including staff management, moderation, policy creation, etc. Of course I never handled any of that by myself; the staff have always done everything as a team, and that collaborative spirit will endure. Going forward I do not intend to have a direct hand in anything but industry outreach and logistical support. I'll be on indefinite hiatus for the foreseeable future.

B-Dubs is your new General Manager. This is an enormous responsibility, requiring more work (and more stress!) than you might think. I really respect his courage and enthusiasm in taking this on.
This is some pimp shit, cept the hoesmods just get a title, not pretty shoes :bow
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽