Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1082655 times)

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
Re: Corona Thread |OT| Money-printer goes BRRRR
« Reply #2940 on: March 19, 2020, 05:25:50 AM »
Looks like one of my friends is working with the malaria medicin. They're trying to rework the medicin so it can be ingested with an inhalator.

They don't know if it helps though. Gotta get test patients.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2941 on: March 19, 2020, 05:45:29 AM »
Italian lockdown measures will probably last beyond April 3rd, the Prime Minister says.

I suppose this will be true for Spain, France, etc... And that it will be at least a month of curfew.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2942 on: March 19, 2020, 06:22:33 AM »
It's not reported as centrally as other numbers so it's hard to know how many tests are done in each country, which would seem to be a major context variable (though the general trends all look very similar). But it appears France has started testing too late, is now at a 2,5k capacity. That's less than the UK it seems and much less than Germany. A new, faster test, has been approved for France so maybe this will start ramping up but medical experts say it's too late for a systematic approach (though one can only note it's a convenient ex post facto excuse, like masks somehow not being that useful for the general population).

And without being cynical, some egghead is probably worried that testing more and finding a lot more positive cases would freak out the population at this point, even if it would also push the fatality rate down.

I don't remember the exact number for French new cases yesterday but basically half the tests come back positive and they're probably restricted to people who already exhibit strong symptoms.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 06:52:10 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2943 on: March 19, 2020, 06:56:35 AM »
Saw a French article about French supermarkets : there's plenty of stocks in the system, the biggest shortage is in the workforce (grocery store employees and truck drivers).
ὕβρις

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #2944 on: March 19, 2020, 07:15:00 AM »
Yes yes, this is following Soderbergh's movie to a T so far.  :doge

Even the part where they skipped animal trials for the vaccine.  :doge :doge

...But Gweneth Paltrow hasn't died in the first 30 minutes, though... :doge

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2945 on: March 19, 2020, 07:40:51 AM »
34 out of 54 African countries now reports cases.
Warm weather may decrease the rate of contagion but is not the silver bullet some hoped for.
ὕβρις

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #2947 on: March 19, 2020, 07:49:42 AM »
Have they tried NyQuil™? The list of stuff it cures is quite long in the commercial. Somebody should look into that.

GunOn™ ! Apply directly to forehead !

Newsfeed. And custom title after the election for me. *bookmarked*

In other news (and should probably be in the Politics thread but it's related, I assure you):

https://twitter.com/cushbomb/status/1240418223801225217

:yikes

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2948 on: March 19, 2020, 07:59:07 AM »
My fever has gotten worse. I’m now experiencing chills and having some difficulty breathing. My girlfriend and I are staying in a hotel until our apartment is ready so I’m going to be sleeping in the bathtub I guess. Called local hospital, was told I’m completely SOL and to stay away from people.

I’ve always had lung related issues. When I was a kid I had horrible asthma and had to stay in a hospital for a long time in one of those clear medical tent things.

This sucks dick.

Best thoughts for recovery.
ὕβρις

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #2949 on: March 19, 2020, 08:45:11 AM »
My fever has gotten worse. I’m now experiencing chills and having some difficulty breathing. My girlfriend and I are staying in a hotel until our apartment is ready so I’m going to be sleeping in the bathtub I guess. Called local hospital, was told I’m completely SOL and to stay away from people.

I’ve always had lung related issues. When I was a kid I had horrible asthma and had to stay in a hospital for a long time in one of those clear medical tent things.

This sucks dick.

Have a speedy recovery.
^_^

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #2950 on: March 19, 2020, 08:48:27 AM »
I guess I expected it, but people are freaking out about STUNNING RISE IN CASES here due fact they finally started testing more people.  :existential

Svejk

« Reply #2951 on: March 19, 2020, 08:51:39 AM »
It's funny how before this, the climate crisis was the overlooming shadow... now with this virus; air and water starting to show signs of clearing,... 

And then when that meteor comes.....
spoiler (click to show/hide)

EARF FTW   :ohyeah
[close]

kingv

« Reply #2952 on: March 19, 2020, 09:12:19 AM »
Some good news maybe https://twitter.com/shamimahmed_07/status/1240433765614116864

They laughed at my dakimakura, but who’s laugh now?

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #2954 on: March 19, 2020, 10:37:42 AM »

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #2955 on: March 19, 2020, 11:02:14 AM »
First day working from home and one user too many being either thick or too important to read an email from me to help them work better from home, I'm having a whiskey and ginger ale at 3pm.

I can get used to this working from home stuff.

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #2956 on: March 19, 2020, 12:23:01 PM »

This sucks dick.

Hope you don’t take this the wrong way, but I’m going to be blocking you as a safety precaution.

Nuitangg

« Reply #2957 on: March 19, 2020, 12:33:57 PM »
Continues to post on the Bore.

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #2958 on: March 19, 2020, 12:35:19 PM »

This sucks dick.

Is this a bit
:O

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2959 on: March 19, 2020, 12:36:29 PM »

This sucks dick.

Hope you don’t take this the wrong way, but I’m going to be blocking you as a safety precaution.

Thanks for reaching out but I am at viral load capacity at the moment, do you have someone else you can contact ?
ὕβρις

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2960 on: March 19, 2020, 12:36:35 PM »
Had to go to Walmart today to get some things. Made sure not to breathe too much when someone else was on the aisle with me, so I think I'm okay.

No TP still. :fbm
dog

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #2961 on: March 19, 2020, 12:39:47 PM »

This sucks dick.

Is this a bit

40-70% of all humans are going to get this virus, if not more because mfers aren't being responsible
Uncle

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #2962 on: March 19, 2020, 12:41:07 PM »
Had to go to Walmart today to get some things. Made sure not to breathe too much when someone else was on the aisle with me, so I think I'm okay.

No TP still. :fbm

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-23534/Toilet-Paper-and-Dispensers/Charmin-Toilet-Tissue

How bad do you need toilet paper? $65 for a case.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #2963 on: March 19, 2020, 12:46:50 PM »

This sucks dick.
每天生气

Leadbelly

« Reply #2964 on: March 19, 2020, 01:10:02 PM »
Just thinking if the world goes into full shutdown the economic consequences are going to be huge. The virus could be with us for 18 months.

kingv

« Reply #2965 on: March 19, 2020, 01:27:17 PM »

This sucks dick.

Sorry bro. Get better soon. Stay hydrated and all that  :( we'll all cast a vote for diamond Joe soon  :(

Nah, diamond joe ain’t gonna survive this.

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #2966 on: March 19, 2020, 01:27:51 PM »
Just thinking if the world goes into full shutdown the economic consequences are going to be huge. The virus could be with us for 18 months.
A lot of people I've talked to in my family and at work don't understand this. The precautions from my city and state are currently set for a couple of weeks, which is giving the impression this will all blow over by late April.

The masses are going to lose their fucking minds by this summer, especially if the U.S. is really on the Italy projection and not the South Korean one. Being stuck at home for months on end and turning on the news to hear about thousands dead in a single day is going to wear on people.

Svejk

« Reply #2967 on: March 19, 2020, 01:33:21 PM »
BBC News - US jails begin releasing prisoners to stem Covid-19 infections
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51947802

:mindblown

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2968 on: March 19, 2020, 01:35:21 PM »
Corona is even smashing the for-profit prison system! :lawd
dog

nudemacusers

« Reply #2969 on: March 19, 2020, 01:38:44 PM »
Get well my boritos who are suffering.

Also are we getting coronabux or what. I have some shopping to do.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2970 on: March 19, 2020, 01:48:22 PM »
I think at some point the world is going to realize that money is just made up nonsense to begin with

Ya, and nothing with change.

I'm actually pretty angry at how fast we can move on this but not things like climate change, poverty, First Nations' issues.  I'm also angry about how this is going to disproportionally affect those that have very little.  The majority of the people on the front line of this thing are not there by choice but because they can't afford to not be and their reward in all this will be to get sick, possibly die, and still only get minimum wage next year. 

It seems like the Canadian Gov. is taking First Nations' safety kind of seriously at least.  I have heard more about them than specific stuff for the elderly for example (but I expect the gov. to be hit by not doing enough for them at the end of this).

james

« Reply #2971 on: March 19, 2020, 01:53:50 PM »
My sore throat Ive had all week will not go away :(

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2972 on: March 19, 2020, 01:54:20 PM »
I don't think the general lockdown is sustainable above two month tops. Even if we really switch to pseudo-wartime mentality. I'm sure there were much stricter quarantines enforced in our history but there's probably better ways to manage this if testing can be made systematically, and especially if an effective treatment can mitigate the illness and fatalities. High state of awareness among the citizenry, more discipline with hygiene, and keeping the detection network strong to immediately locate clusters and only quarantine a village/company/zone until a reliable vaccine or potent treatment may roll out to make it trivial.

Lack of social interaction & fresh air is gonna drive people up the wall.
ὕβρις

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2973 on: March 19, 2020, 01:57:03 PM »
I think in two months we will have better systems to manage the outbreak and people will understand the seriousness of the issue, making lockdown unnesccissary. 

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #2974 on: March 19, 2020, 01:57:34 PM »

If you die can I have your stonks?

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2975 on: March 19, 2020, 02:04:48 PM »
Besides the masks gifted by China, the French Army transferred 5m masks from its stock to hospitals and 25m masks are on order (though the logistics are a mess)... Doctors and nurses are working with inadequate protection with a high risk of being infected, and it's starting to bubble up to the media.

I'm afraid the fatalities in France for the next two weeks are going to be rough.
:fbm
ὕβρις

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #2976 on: March 19, 2020, 02:10:21 PM »
not many things totally out of stock at my local grocery store other than the entire TP and paper towel aisle

canned food looking lean, frozen veggies looking lean

and the one thing they were 100% out of was...lunchables
Uncle

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #2977 on: March 19, 2020, 02:12:25 PM »
lunchables are the biggest ripoff in the store. 2-3 bucks for 20 cents of food.

james

« Reply #2978 on: March 19, 2020, 02:15:28 PM »

I've had the same symptom for about 10 days now with slight pressure in my lungs :(

just waiting it out

Yeah theres a very slight pressure on my chest when Im lying down. Im also a bit tired.

No other symptoms though. No cough. No runny nose. A very rare sneeze (ie standard dust sneeze).

Ive been taking a multi-vitamin every day and drinking fruit smoothies.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2979 on: March 19, 2020, 02:16:02 PM »

Walmart used to drop the price of Lunchables to $1 during the back-to-school season, but not anymore. :fbm
dog

james

« Reply #2980 on: March 19, 2020, 02:19:09 PM »
I could really go for a Lunchable right now  :doge

Do they still come with environmentally destructive capri sun beverages?

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2981 on: March 19, 2020, 02:21:37 PM »
- Our health minister resigned due to exhaustion
- Elderly homes are going into 'LOCKDOWN'
- The masks shortage is becoming an issue, France is also intercepting Dutch orders offering twice our price making it more difficult
- Our borders are now effectively closed for anyone outside the EU

In better news, our prime minster says we can poop for at least 10 years with the current supply of toilet paper
https://twitter.com/palpeet/status/1240588903125483525

Also Erdogan hasn't threatened us with open borders anymore  :lol
🤴

jorma

« Reply #2982 on: March 19, 2020, 02:35:37 PM »
You'd have to be pretty damned distinguished mentally-challenged if you travel to EU right now, i don't think closing the borders is going to help us  :lol

thetylerrob

« Reply #2983 on: March 19, 2020, 02:38:58 PM »

Walmart used to drop the price of Lunchables to $1 during the back-to-school season, but not anymore. :fbm
When I worked in a grocery store they would mark it down to $1 during the summer and then raise it up to $2 during the school year. The bastards.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2984 on: March 19, 2020, 02:41:57 PM »
One of my friends got word that universities remain closed until after the summer holidays (September) and they're offering remote classes and tests starting next week.

The CEO of Razer has announced the company will start producing 1 million face masks.
That's the thing with those masks, isn't it very easy to make bunch of paper masks and create production lines for them?
🤴

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2986 on: March 19, 2020, 02:47:58 PM »
3 French doctors have filed a complaint against the Prime Minister and the former Health Minister (now running for Paris Town Hall) for "negligence" basically, using some of the latest statements of Agnès Buzyn that she knew keeping the first round of mayoral election still last Sunday was a mistake.
ὕβρις

james

« Reply #2987 on: March 19, 2020, 02:52:10 PM »
I feel bad for the students

How do you get laid taking class at home?

We're about to create an entire generation of incels

Leadbelly

« Reply #2988 on: March 19, 2020, 02:56:39 PM »
So the schools in the UK are being shut down tomorrow. I'm predicting by Monday, as I commute to work, I will see kids in groups hanging out around the town treating it like a holiday. lol

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

james

« Reply #2991 on: March 19, 2020, 03:11:32 PM »

Yeah theres a very slight pressure on my chest when Im lying down. Im also a bit tired.

No other symptoms though. No cough. No runny nose. A very rare sneeze (ie standard dust sneeze).

Ive been taking a multi-vitamin every day and drinking fruit smoothies.

Same thing for me, had a slight cough and headache, occasional sneeze. We're going to get through this, King. I'm eating the produce and drinking the ginger tea  :respect

If anything changes, this thread will be the first to know

Leadbelly

« Reply #2992 on: March 19, 2020, 03:13:30 PM »
I've noticed that my mind now places news into one of two categories: Coronavirus news and other news. In fact it is kind of the equivalent of sifting through junk mail. All the relevant mail like bills, etc, are put to one side, and the junk mail is automatically thrown in the bin. That's basically what is going on in my mind right now. I read the headlines, but after about 10 minutes, I couldn't tell you a single thing about what is going on right now that isn't coronavirus related. It isn't relevant so my mind basically tosses it to one side.

Bebpo

« Reply #2993 on: March 19, 2020, 03:25:11 PM »
https://twitter.com/NYCMayor/status/1240628796878991362

Halp Elon!

If Elon can turn Tesla quick to supporting medical device production it would definitely be really good for the USA if not the world. I think he's a really smart engineer, so he probably could do it if it's feasible.
But he's also pretty full of shit a lot, so good chance he's just talking out of his ass and doesn't have the capability.

Definitely hope it's the former.

Leadbelly

« Reply #2994 on: March 19, 2020, 03:34:14 PM »
You know I forgot about the Queen.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51967807

The first thing I thought was, 'she'd be a goner'. There she is cooped up in her castle.

Svejk

« Reply #2995 on: March 19, 2020, 03:34:27 PM »
"Wait a second...... Ventilators, or Vaporizers?"

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2996 on: March 19, 2020, 03:40:22 PM »
Just left work at 8pm when people started clapping at their windows in appreciation of health professionals...
:larry

Heartwarming, to be sure, but I'm sure hospitals would rather have more supplies and more credits.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2997 on: March 19, 2020, 03:43:56 PM »
So the schools in the UK are being shut down tomorrow. I'm predicting by Monday, as I commute to work, I will see kids in groups hanging out around the town treating it like a holiday. lol

I mean it's hard to explain to kids. In the aggregate it's not great but it's probably better to have small groups of kids than a massive concentrated gathering in a school even if the virus is running.
ὕβρις

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #2998 on: March 19, 2020, 03:45:24 PM »
What are people doing for funerals in this time? I don't know anyone in my personal life that has had to go to one, so I have no idea how they are handling this.

Himu

« Reply #2999 on: March 19, 2020, 03:46:22 PM »
Wife and kids tried to go to the beach today... Slammed packed full of spring breakers with no sense of social distancing at all... Fuck all of them.. GET OFF MY LAWN!  There's a reason old people get mad at those damn whippersnappers.

It's your wife and kids not staying at fucking home. You're just as much a part of the problem.
IYKYK