Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1082640 times)

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
Re: Corona Thread |OT| Money-printer goes BRRRR
« Reply #3540 on: March 22, 2020, 10:07:45 PM »
A part of me just feels like, lets get this shit over and done with. Mitigate the spread as much as we can, but fuck this lock down shit.
Are you not worried your parents die? What a callous attitude. I'm so sorry you're uncomfortable right now.
每天生气

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #3541 on: March 22, 2020, 10:09:38 PM »
Restaurant around here stayed open to the public despite county orders to be "delivery or take-out only."
Restaurant: "FUCK THE PO-PO! WE'RE DOING A TRIVIA NIGHT!"
(Later today)
":pika WE HAVE TO SHUT DOWN UNTIL THIS SHIT BLOWS OVER. FUCK YOU COUNTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Here's a go-fund-me for helping our employees)"
Me: "Ya'll should've known you were going to get popped eventually advertising a trivia night on Facebook. :trumps "
(Cue thousands of replies)

Like, what the fuck did you expect? Comply or lose your license/business.

Leadbelly

« Reply #3542 on: March 22, 2020, 10:12:52 PM »
A part of me just feels like, lets get this shit over and done with. Mitigate the spread as much as we can, but fuck this lock down shit.
Are you not worried your parents die? What a callous attitude. I'm so sorry you're uncomfortable right now.

Yeah. And I'm not sure I even want to do it anyway just yet. The thing is though, it seems like there is no way out of it. That eventually we will give up on it anyway.

shosta

« Reply #3543 on: March 22, 2020, 10:15:10 PM »
Who's "we"? If people start getting tired of quarantine and the spread isn't under control, get hostile about that. If your elected representatives suggest lifting restrictions before it's safe to do so, threaten to vote them out. Quit being defeatist when lives are at stake.
每天生气

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3544 on: March 22, 2020, 10:15:29 PM »
You were pretty quick to jump on the UK's herd immunity strategy too.  Kind of seems like you are OK with some collateral damage. 

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #3546 on: March 22, 2020, 10:18:08 PM »
OH NO RAND PAUL HAS CORONAVIRUS LET'S SEE I GUESS HE COULD SEE HIS DAD FOR TREATMENT

https://twitter.com/RonPaul/status/1239551403074433025

WELP, GUESS THE MARKET HAS SPOKEN, ATLAS COUGHED, ETC ETC
yar

thisismyusername

« Reply #3547 on: March 22, 2020, 10:18:49 PM »
Oh no, baby. Ru supports Fracking?

*Cross into a fire of PD's.gif*

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #3548 on: March 22, 2020, 10:20:22 PM »
We don’t need to go right back to normal OR stay in lockdown for a year. “Flattening out the curve” doesn’t necessarily mean fewer people get infected—they just get infected over a longer amount of time than they would had we not implemented social distancing.

Leadbelly

« Reply #3549 on: March 22, 2020, 10:23:57 PM »
You were pretty quick to jump on the UK's herd immunity strategy too.  Kind of seems like you are OK with some collateral damage.

I didn't jump on it, I said I understood it after reading more about the issues with containing it. It's not like I wouldn't want a better solution or anything.

I will say one thing though. I also understand there is a tragic side of life, something the West has forgot a little bit. We've gone through this many times already. Sometimes it is inescapable.

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #3551 on: March 22, 2020, 10:27:37 PM »
:O

Tripon

« Reply #3552 on: March 22, 2020, 10:28:31 PM »
OH NO RAND PAUL HAS CORONAVIRUS LET'S SEE I GUESS HE COULD SEE HIS DAD FOR TREATMENT

https://twitter.com/RonPaul/status/1239551403074433025

WELP, GUESS THE MARKET HAS SPOKEN, ATLAS COUGHED, ETC ETC

Ron Paul releases this a day after his son got tested. Dare I accuse Ron Paul of grifting?

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #3553 on: March 22, 2020, 10:37:04 PM »
Oh yeah. Let's have a look at live footage of the Shibuya crossing. Is it nothing but a tumbleweed?

Hmm... not really.

shosta

« Reply #3554 on: March 22, 2020, 10:44:48 PM »
This next month is going to be the longest month of your guys' lives so get ready for that psychologically.
每天生气

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3555 on: March 22, 2020, 10:56:06 PM »
Literally, my mom said to me that she thought of all people I will be fine because I spent so much time in my room during highschool and undergrad.

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Nuitangg

« Reply #3557 on: March 22, 2020, 11:04:21 PM »
Sounds like Era has found a new ally.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #3558 on: March 22, 2020, 11:12:15 PM »
The "let's get this over with" sentiment reminds me of arguments made in favor of post-crash austerity a decade ago.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #3559 on: March 22, 2020, 11:15:36 PM »
I feel like if no one can come up with a solution for a year until there's a vaccine (and then give 2 months to vaccinate the entire world), the solution is just going to be to give up and go back to normal and figure a % of the population is going to die and move on. Some people will continue the bunker/quarantine/wfh lifestyle, but a good percentage of the population, especially the younger people will get back out and do normal stuff, go the movies, go shopping, eat out and things will go back to normal a certain amount.

I'd like to think the world can just dig in for a year until the vaccine is out, but idk.

Also maybe if they come up with a effective treatment solution much sooner, that will work. If someone gets sick, they get tested right away, and get treatment right away and they're better in a week. ICU's/Hospitals aren't overrun if they can catch these sicknesses and treat them right away, and business can be back to normal. Just need enough tests and enough of the meds.

Hard because the system isn't exactly conducive to tanking a crisis. Things barely begun and the bailout requests have begun. Too many poor people without a cheque coming soon.
Government fuckery is of course also culpable.

Learn more about the rona and perhaps things may change. Might have to consider odd solutions like quarantining the most vulnerable for some time while others return to a degree of normalcy.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3560 on: March 22, 2020, 11:22:44 PM »
Literally, my mom said to me that she thought of all people I will be fine because I spent so much time in my room during highschool and undergrad.

When you get dunked on during an international crisis by your mom. :dead
dog

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #3561 on: March 22, 2020, 11:36:49 PM »
My friend's dad left him a letter when he died. My friend had me read it and give him the gist of it because he couldn't read it directly for something like three months after his dad passing.

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #3562 on: March 22, 2020, 11:42:53 PM »
I'm just subbing, i'll try not to shit up this thread i didnt know was here.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #3563 on: March 22, 2020, 11:42:57 PM »
My friend's dad left him a letter when he died. My friend had me read it and give him the gist of it because he couldn't read it directly for something like three months after his dad passing.
did you dig out some old posts from his dad and deliver some cowardly snark  ???

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Bebpo

« Reply #3565 on: March 22, 2020, 11:51:04 PM »
The other thing about how long can this last.

So a huge 78% of USA lives paycheck to paycheck. (https://www.forbes.com/sites/zackfriedman/2019/01/11/live-paycheck-to-paycheck-government-shutdown/#c51c8624f10b)
You freeze rents and now people have a roof over their head. Good long term solution.
You give out a check or two to people and now they can buy food for a couple months. This only lasts a couple of months.

Then after a couple of months 78% of people will run out of money.
This means they can't buy food.
This means they can't buy gas for their car.

There is no way this works.

Either they give people a check every month until the economy recovers/lockdown lifts,
or 78% of USA will starve to death and before that will riot, rob and loot every food location there is.

Since it doesn't look like they'll be giving people checks monthly, after a few months this is going to reach a breaking point and something will have to be done. There's just no way around it. This is not sustainable.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #3567 on: March 22, 2020, 11:55:55 PM »

So a huge 78% of USA lives paycheck to paycheck. (https://www.forbes.com/sites/zackfriedman/2019/01/11/live-paycheck-to-paycheck-government-shutdown/#c51c8624f10b)
You freeze rents and now people have a roof over their head. Good long term solution.
You give out a check or two to people and now they can buy food for a couple months. This only lasts a couple of months.

Either they give people a check every month until the economy recovers/lockdown lifts,
or 78% of USA will starve to death and before that will riot, rob and loot every food location there is.

Since it doesn't look like they'll be giving people checks monthly, after a few months this is going to reach a breaking point and something will have to be done. There's just no way around it. This is not sustainable.

Exactly.
With a system where food, utilities, shelter, and distractions were available. You could manage a longer quarantine, but that just isn't the case for probably most of the world.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3568 on: March 22, 2020, 11:56:52 PM »

Ya, the check-in the mail is short term economic stimulus aid, not an actual solution to the crisis - and people will love it because it's money they didn't expect.  People will remember Trump as the president who gave them a xmas bonus not as the president who killed their grandma.   

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3569 on: March 23, 2020, 12:03:19 AM »

This guy is live blogging his experience as a doctor in the NHS.

Bebpo

« Reply #3570 on: March 23, 2020, 12:10:32 AM »
One idea I read, which isn't practical logistically at all

is if someone could make a test that tells if you have ever had Covid-19 as well as if you still have it. If they could make enough of this test for the worldwide population (which isn't likely, though how they're going to make enough vaccines for the worldwide population, I don't know that either),

Then people could get tested and if they test that they've had Covid-19 and recovered and don't have it anymore, they get a mark on their SSN/identity card and some type of permanent identifying marker that lets them go back to regular day to day living.

But this would create a black market for those markers, cause non-immune people to mix in and spread the disease, cause people to purposefully try to get infected just to clear it and get back out, etc..etc... so wouldn't work.

Bebpo

« Reply #3571 on: March 23, 2020, 12:11:52 AM »
Ya, the check-in the mail is short term economic stimulus aid, not an actual solution to the crisis - and people will love it because it's money they didn't expect.  People will remember Trump as the president who gave them a xmas bonus not as the president who killed their grandma.

Eh, if they remember him as the guy that gave them their bonus and then they all died on the streets and society collapsed I don't think they're gonna still love Trump.

Maybe if he passed the Dem version of the checks idea with $2k/month for everyone until the crisis is over.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #3572 on: March 23, 2020, 12:13:00 AM »
One idea I read, which isn't practical logistically at all

is if someone could make a test that tells if you have ever had Covid-19 as well as if you still have it. If they could make enough of this test for the worldwide population (which isn't likely, though how they're going to make enough vaccines for the worldwide population, I don't know that either),

Then people could get tested and if they test that they've had Covid-19 and recovered and don't have it anymore, they get a mark on their SSN/identity card and some type of permanent identifying marker that lets them go back to regular day to day living.

But this would create a black market for those markers, cause non-immune people to mix in and spread the disease, cause people to purposefully try to get infected just to clear it and get back out, etc..etc... so wouldn't work.

Good luck passing something like that in the States.

james

« Reply #3573 on: March 23, 2020, 12:14:12 AM »
This next month is going to be the longest month of your guys' lives so get ready for that psychologically.

Good. I need all the time available with my gf before she leaves me

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #3574 on: March 23, 2020, 12:16:17 AM »

Good. I need all the time available with my gf before she leaves me

:foodcourt

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #3575 on: March 23, 2020, 01:09:08 AM »

He seems to be recovering.
Maybe it wasn't COVID tho.

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #3576 on: March 23, 2020, 03:11:34 AM »
They’re closing Nando’s, McDonald’s and Primark stores today. Lockdown is deffo near here.
The issue we’re having in the U.K. is that gov say one thing then the media are saying oh parks are still open
go out for walks whilst on social distancing, but don’t explain not to spend all fucking day in them.
I know that London parks are now closing and expect other regions to do the same. It’s kinda rubbish.
Then they say visit your mums on Wednesday and don’t on Friday. Utter fuckery going on.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #3577 on: March 23, 2020, 03:26:39 AM »
I've said it to a dozen people this weekend, we don't have a mechanism to fix this and companies/governments are cowards that don't have the balls to be transparent or the will to commit to a 12 month solution of any kind. All the damage so far has just been from the fear of what's going to happen, we haven't actually felt the loss in productivity and socialization yet. Until the resources are made available for people to survive the partial economic hibernation, as well maybe some sort of assisted living for those in vulnerable populations, it's going to get a lot worse.

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #3578 on: March 23, 2020, 03:31:44 AM »
I got a 11 50 pm notification about getting my unpaid invoices in before afternoon on monday from a client.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #3579 on: March 23, 2020, 05:38:48 AM »
nz is going into full lockdown in 48 hours and we're at barely 100 cases. ty based jacinda :clap :heartbeat

◕‿◕

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #3580 on: March 23, 2020, 05:41:43 AM »
They’re closing Nando’s, McDonald’s and Primark stores today. Lockdown is deffo near here.
The issue we’re having in the U.K. is that gov say one thing then the media are saying oh parks are still open
go out for walks whilst on social distancing, but don’t explain not to spend all fucking day in them.
I know that London parks are now closing and expect other regions to do the same. It’s kinda rubbish.
Then they say visit your mums on Wednesday and don’t on Friday. Utter fuckery going on.

If it offers any consolation, it's been the same in France until they started lockdown. Expect the media to get a bit patronizing towards you foolish citizens because four chavs are smoking cigs on a sidewalk somewhere after weeks of mixed messaging from the top.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 06:28:06 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #3581 on: March 23, 2020, 07:09:53 AM »
A lot of medical speculation from several countries that a loss of smell and / or taste might be a symptom. It's been observed in China, Italy and by specialized physicians in France and the UK.
ὕβρις

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #3582 on: March 23, 2020, 07:11:09 AM »
A lot of medical speculation from several countries that a loss of smell and / or taste might be a symptom. It's been observed in China, Italy and by specialized physicians in France and the UK.
That's a thing even with regular cold tho.
So just another symptom of flu/cold.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #3583 on: March 23, 2020, 07:57:38 AM »
Ugh can’t believe my ass is going back to work today

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #3584 on: March 23, 2020, 08:07:14 AM »
The whole world is going to have to come to see money in a completely different way going forward. And by have to, I mean forced.
??? How so?

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #3585 on: March 23, 2020, 08:10:53 AM »
Really want some Boris bucks. Give everyone some fucking money you mop haired bastard.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #3586 on: March 23, 2020, 08:18:14 AM »
We collectively felt that in 2008 and it didn't change much.

thisismyusername

« Reply #3587 on: March 23, 2020, 08:21:16 AM »
Yeah but we didn't have BOOMER REMOVER™ at the time. Maybe now things will change. *Sex and the City wistful music*

Tripon

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3589 on: March 23, 2020, 09:03:04 AM »
The whole world is going to have to come to see money in a completely different way going forward. And by have to, I mean forced.
??? How so?

Money is made up nonsense and we're on the brink of creating a new world where money isn't a factor

Ya, we are moving to a sex work economy and my flabby ass is going to be poor. 

Occam

« Reply #3590 on: March 23, 2020, 09:10:39 AM »
Trump suggests coronavirus containment measures may be too extreme as more states issue stay-at-home orders
(WaPo)

So many people are going to die in the US.

The countries going full lockdown have it right.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3591 on: March 23, 2020, 09:30:07 AM »
Wife was asked to go home Friday (and used PTO).  She went back in this morning and was told "there's nothing to do with all our clients shut down.  We're worried about you (being pregnant).  Please go home."  Great, so uh...how about PAYING her for it.   :-\  She's gonna blow through all her PTO and then things are going to go to shit for us.  Fortunately my parents have offered to help out financially if it gets to that point.  I don't want to rely on them for that though.

On the lighter side, saw this on Twitter:
:goldberg
I am considering doing a gofundme to buy animal crossing
ど助平

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #3592 on: March 23, 2020, 09:34:45 AM »
https://twitter.com/BillPetti/status/1242071099845816322

I've seen a lot of clap backs in the last 48 hours "It's not new cases, it's testing capacity increasing" and I guess it's technically correct but you could say that for every country.
ὕβρις

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #3593 on: March 23, 2020, 09:37:43 AM »
Yeah I blew through a week of vacation last week self isolating, now reading an email from corporate saying if they force us to shut down they’ll pay a week and after that we’re required to use a week of vacation, and then recommended to use the rest... thanks guys! But I guess we can apply for unemployment in the 3rd week!

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3594 on: March 23, 2020, 09:52:28 AM »

james

« Reply #3595 on: March 23, 2020, 09:52:56 AM »
Gonna be awkward when I'm the only one with a job

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3596 on: March 23, 2020, 09:53:15 AM »
Slightly less infections and deaths today reported in the Netherlands and we've seeing this trend across Europe now that the restrictions have been active for a week or so.

Yesterday:
+ 573 infected
+ 43 deaths

today:
+ 545 infected
+ 34 deaths

Of those that died the average age is 82.

Gonna be awkward when I'm the only one with a job
Our government is king in keeping insolvent businesses afloat so I'm not worried about having to shut our doors either.
🤴

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3597 on: March 23, 2020, 09:59:53 AM »
https://twitter.com/BillPetti/status/1242071099845816322

I've seen a lot of clap backs in the last 48 hours "It's not new cases, it's testing capacity increasing" and I guess it's technically correct but you could say that for every country.

It's not especially comforting to think about all those untested people who went on about their lives [as much as they could] while potentially infecting other people.
dog

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #3598 on: March 23, 2020, 10:00:14 AM »
Lots of optimism from a lot of Euro places over the stats for the last two days (except Spain and Italy, obviously), but the fatality wave is probably lagging behind someone being positive. I hope it's not misplaced.
ὕβρις

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3599 on: March 23, 2020, 10:03:02 AM »
Dallas on lock-down:

dog