Author Topic: River Of Slime |OT| Mission: Impossible  (Read 4180830 times)

RyoonZ

Re: River Of Slime |OT| Mission: Impossible
« Reply #19380 on: June 07, 2019, 12:59:54 PM »
I leave this thread for a few weeks and you fuckers fuck it all up

(Image removed from quote.)

Yikes that's unrealistic body standard. Now this is the ideal human body everyone should aspire to achieve. It's quite frankly what peak performance looks like. Thank you Ninja Theory and Microsoft, very cool.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #19381 on: June 07, 2019, 01:05:36 PM »

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #19382 on: June 07, 2019, 02:01:11 PM »
If you told me a few months ago that SweetNicole wasn't left enough for the rest of the Resetera staff...

This transgender woman just doesn't know how to properly respect pride month!

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #19383 on: June 07, 2019, 02:07:00 PM »
I leave this thread for a few weeks and you fuckers fuck it all up

Yikes that's unrealistic body standard. Now this is the ideal human body everyone should aspire to achieve. It's quite frankly what peak performance looks like. Thank you Ninja Theory and Microsoft, very cool.

Man the harpoons matey.

agrajag

PogiJones

« Reply #19385 on: June 07, 2019, 02:34:50 PM »
I don't mind fat women characters just like I don't mind fat men characters.

Where that Buttercup design goes wrong is the pink hair with shaved sides and heavy eyeliner mixed with being fat that just makes her the spitting image of a typical tumblrina archetype.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #19386 on: June 07, 2019, 02:35:51 PM »
Tumblrinas  :-X

PogiJones

« Reply #19387 on: June 07, 2019, 02:38:17 PM »
At least it's pink hair and not blue hair. Blue hair is the worst.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19388 on: June 07, 2019, 02:44:10 PM »
ど助平

marrec

« Reply #19389 on: June 07, 2019, 02:45:53 PM »
I don't mind fat women characters just like I don't mind fat men characters.

Where that Buttercup design goes wrong is the pink hair with shaved sides and heavy eyeliner mixed with being fat that just makes her the spitting image of a typical tumblrina archetype.

I think they're going more for a roller derby vibe

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #19390 on: June 07, 2019, 02:46:58 PM »
I think the fact that she's got wheels instead of legs, mixed with her being morbidly obese, makes it look like a fat shaming parody.
 :wag
spoiler (click to show/hide)
I actually don't mind the character, i think Gizmo looks much more boring, from the little we can see.
[close]

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19391 on: June 07, 2019, 02:48:12 PM »
I think the fact that she's got wheels instead of legs, mixed with her being morbidly obese, makes it look like a fat shaming parody.
 :wag

Didn't want to say it.  But that was the first thing that came to mind.  :lol
ど助平

« Reply #19392 on: June 07, 2019, 02:55:16 PM »
I hope someone hits that screed of centrist whataboutism with this absolute unit of Brain Force Plus

Anyone that legitimately uses this comic to make any kind of point is a colossal dumbass.

No, your stupid fucking luxury item cellphone is not in any way comparable to improving a function of a mass adopted vehicle or something that you literally can't control like... being born in a society.

You think the slave labor at Foxconn jumping off of buildings is going to give a shit about you and your very mild condemnation of the company that you will KEEP BUYING FROM?  Nah, what they'd rather see is you stop buying that shit so the company they're working for is forced to change or go out of business.  "Oh, but I can't keep in contact with my friends or my work!"  Yeah, bullshit you can't do that with a normal phone that more aligns with your supposed beliefs of not fucking over marginalized groups, but nah, you want all the conveniences that comes with whatever smartphone of your choice.  Or more likely, you just want to surf the internet and play Plants vs Zombies on your lunch break because you're a mindless consumer that's deluded yourself into thinking maybe you have a conscious.  I'd be a lot more willing to believe your "No ethical consumption under capitalism!" pleas if you actually showed you can cut down on those things where possible and not crack whenever a luxury item that you don't need gets released.  Because what you're doing right now is no different than the "out of sight, out of mind" shit that everyone was doing during WWII atrocities.

It's the same with people constantly complaining about Twitter or Youtube or whatever while still using those platforms, and not for work but just to bitch about the platforms.  Like, you realize they have no incentive to change when you're creating content for them as a result of these conflicting views, right?  As cringey as Wil Wheaton is, he actually will put his money where his mouth is and stop using Twitter in protest.  Not a "day of silence" or whatever the fuck it was a year or two ago, but just a flat out boycott.

That goes for all the people that will say "a video game isn't as important as human rights" while buying the next "king of conflict minerals" Nintendo console, or picking and choosing which THQ published/distributed game (so like all of them in Europe) you deem worthy of not being boycotted despite the money going all to the same place.  If you can give all that up to make a point, then you have my respect, but 99% of you will crack like the insufferable hypocrites that you are.

For me it's simpler than that

Forget about the comparison to feudalism, the comic does little more than say "geeze isn't this guy annoying, popping up all over with these quips?" to which I would say "yeah it must be pretty annoying to be confronted with your own cognitive dissonance and to not have any rebuttal at all"

Some people actually examine why they can't find an effective rebuttal and consider changing the way they think about things, or their purchasing habits

Others just keep enjoying their comforts and lamely say "man that guy is annoying"

Also maybe consider where your comic's argument leads if you take it to other natural conclusions

I mean yeah, that's largely my issue with it as well in less words.  Like, the takeaway isn't about how the average person is funding atrocities, it's that you shouldn't point that out or you'll look like a douche.  And maybe the intention is a lot less simpler than I think it is, but it always gets used by people that will CRUCIFY you if you support the innocuous (but problematic due to the creator/creation process) things that they don't want you to support.

Forget about the comparison to feudalism, the comic does little more than say "geeze isn't this guy annoying, popping up all over with these quips?" to which I would say "yeah it must be pretty annoying to be confronted with your own cognitive dissonance and to not have any rebuttal at all"

There's actually a weird little cottage industry of webcomic artists specifically making this type of comic to use as argument ending gotchas to post on twitter but not actually addressing the point being made at all

This is another one.  What do you think someone that has no idea what "sealioning" is (AKA a normal fucking person) would takeaway from this comic?  Basically "if you overhear someone being racist against your group, don't confront them because you'll look like an annoying jackass".  I legit thought this was an alt-right or at the very least anti-sjw comic by people complaining about "PC culture" for the longest time before someone explained it to me on Era.

PogiJones

« Reply #19393 on: June 07, 2019, 02:59:25 PM »

You're welcome

PogiJones

« Reply #19394 on: June 07, 2019, 03:01:04 PM »
Never seen it; is the roller derby vibe the same as a tumblrina vibe? Because that's a tumblrina vibe.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19395 on: June 07, 2019, 03:03:45 PM »
This is another one.  What do you think someone that has no idea what "sealioning" is (AKA a normal fucking person) would takeaway from this comic?  Basically "if you overhear someone being racist against your group, don't confront them because you'll look like an annoying jackass".  I legit thought this was an alt-right or at the very least anti-sjw comic by people complaining about "PC culture" for the longest time before someone explained it to me on Era.

If you ever ask questions or desire evidence or want clarification, that means you're an alt-right gamergater Nazi who is trying to hijack the conversation and cause women and minorities to leave in droves.
dog

marrec

« Reply #19396 on: June 07, 2019, 03:04:01 PM »
To be fair to this comic and the creator, sealioning as a verb spun out from this comic... as for what to take away from it, lord knows... maybe don't follow someone into their house if they're being racist? But that flies in the face of current "give them not a moments peace" activism you see from lefties these days.

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #19397 on: June 07, 2019, 03:10:30 PM »
is sealioning actually a thing?

i thought someone on here made it up as a pisstake nonsense word.

marrec

« Reply #19398 on: June 07, 2019, 03:11:12 PM »
Never seen it; is the roller derby vibe the same as a tumblrina vibe? Because that's a tumblrina vibe.

It's a weird sport where women on roller skates skate around in a circle trying to knock each other down. Been around a lot longer than Tumblr.

PogiJones

« Reply #19399 on: June 07, 2019, 03:11:58 PM »

When it was first made, I asked how people could see that comic and come away seeing the sealion as the bad guy instead of the prejudiced people. The answer was, "He's invading their house!" And I was like, yeah, because "sealioning" (i.e. politely confronting people's expressed prejudices) is such a completely normal and fine thing to do that the artist had to make him a home invader to make him into a bad guy, which doesn't at all apply to anyone "sealioning" on the internet.

The response? "Gamergate has driven tons of women out of their homes."

marrec

« Reply #19400 on: June 07, 2019, 03:13:02 PM »
is sealioning actually a thing?

i thought someone on here made it up as a pisstake nonsense word.

Its was coined by SJWs on twitter during gamergate in response to idiots spamming peoples notifications demanding "polite discourse".

PogiJones

« Reply #19401 on: June 07, 2019, 03:13:42 PM »

It's a weird sport where women on roller skates skate around in a circle trying to knock each other down. Been around a lot longer than Tumblr.
"Tumble 'er!"

:rodney

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19402 on: June 07, 2019, 03:15:58 PM »

Agents Of Mayhem already had a roller derby character.  Better design, too. 

[close]
ど助平

« Reply #19403 on: June 07, 2019, 03:19:52 PM »
To be fair to this comic and the creator, sealioning as a verb spun out from this comic... as for what to take away from it, lord knows... maybe don't follow someone into their house if they're being racist? But that flies in the face of current "give them not a moments peace" activism you see from lefties these days.

That makes it even worse.  I thought sealioning was already an established term by this point. Dumb, but at least something I guess you could relay to your audience well enough even if other people will misunderstand.  But it not even being a thing yet?  How the fuck is that supposed to convey "gamergators are bad" or whatever?                                                                                                                                                                                                     

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19405 on: June 07, 2019, 03:21:23 PM »

When it was first made, I asked how people could see that comic and come away seeing the sealion as the bad guy instead of the prejudiced people. The answer was, "He's invading their house!" And I was like, yeah, because "sealioning" (i.e. politely confronting people's expressed prejudices) is such a completely normal and fine thing to do that the artist had to make him a home invader to make him into a bad guy, which doesn't at all apply to anyone "sealioning" on the internet.

The response? "Gamergate has driven tons of women out of their homes."

Maybe the takeaway is that Wondermark actually isn't very good
dog

marrec

« Reply #19406 on: June 07, 2019, 03:22:54 PM »

That makes it even worse.  I thought sealioning was already an established term by this point. Dumb, but at least something I guess you could relay to your audience well enough even if other people will misunderstand.  But it not even being a thing yet?  How the fuck is that supposed to convey "gamergators are bad" or whatever?                                                                                                                                                                                                     

It was in response to a very specific phenomena of gators sending endless messages demanding various things like explanations for innocuous blurbs (i.e. "ugh gamergaters suck") or demanding debate of anyone who mentioned anything negative about gamergate.

The context is, of course, completely lost in 2019.

marrec

« Reply #19407 on: June 07, 2019, 03:23:58 PM »

Agents Of Mayhem already had a roller derby character.  Better design, too. 

[close]

She was the one well designed character in that entire game.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #19408 on: June 07, 2019, 03:24:20 PM »

Because you have to reconcile going "Ugh, all of [that group] are fucking dicks" "Excuse me, I don't think its particularly helpful to make that kind of generalisation" "I DIDN'T ASK YOU FOR THAT COMMENT YOU DICK" as being the good guys in that argument somehow

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #19409 on: June 07, 2019, 03:26:10 PM »

It was in response to a very specific phenomena of gators sending endless messages demanding various things like explanations for innocuous blurbs (i.e. "ugh gamergaters suck") or demanding debate of anyone who mentioned anything negative about gamergate.

The context is, of course, completely lost in 2019.

even in that context, the takeaway should probably be "stop making big sweeping generalisations then, if you don't want to be called on it"

marrec

« Reply #19410 on: June 07, 2019, 03:26:54 PM »

Because you have to reconcile going "Ugh, all of [that group] are fucking dicks" "Excuse me, I don't think its particularly helpful to make that kind of generalisation" "I DIDN'T ASK YOU FOR THAT COMMENT YOU DICK" as being the good guys in that argument somehow

Which is pretty easy when you remember it's about subhuman pieces of shit i.e. gamergaters

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #19411 on: June 07, 2019, 03:27:08 PM »

Al Gore's internet was a mistake

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #19412 on: June 07, 2019, 03:27:42 PM »
Right now that would fuck them up worse than it's ever known. Major countries with multi-party systems aren't even doing them right and as a result gives the right a significantly lower threshold to attain significant power against split up lefties. America's got a lot more to catch up on before taking that route properly.

Oh OK then.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/joe-biden-supports-a-ban-on-government-funding-for-abortion-update-now-against-ban.121125/page-10#post-21541375
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #19413 on: June 07, 2019, 03:31:02 PM »
You know (unpopular hot take incoming), maybe Joe Biden winning the nomination and Presidency isn't the worst thing in the world?

Whoever wins is going to be saddled with the incoming Recession thats gonna hit in a couple of years, and will spend most of their time picking up the pieces of the Trump administration. People will obviously be frustrated with the economy and "lack of progress". So as much as Warren is my number 1 pick, maybe her not going down in history as a 'failure' of a President and letting Biden hold that L will keep the progressive wing of the party chomping at the bit to get someone like AOC in the White House.

Because if Warren wins now and has a "failed" Presidency, that makes a like-minded progressive like AOC's chances in 2028 much worse, as people will (inaccurately) hold Warren's time in office as a testament to her school of thought leading to poor results. I feel like 2028 will be a time where (hopefully) the country and economy have rebounded somewhat from where we are.

Those who understand Strategy are in awe of Dems the masters.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/joe-biden-supports-a-ban-on-government-funding-for-abortion-update-now-against-ban.121125/page-9#post-21534692
ὕβρις

marrec

« Reply #19414 on: June 07, 2019, 03:35:02 PM »
You know (unpopular hot take incoming), maybe Joe Biden winning the nomination and Presidency isn't the worst thing in the world?

Whoever wins is going to be saddled with the incoming Recession thats gonna hit in a couple of years, and will spend most of their time picking up the pieces of the Trump administration. People will obviously be frustrated with the economy and "lack of progress". So as much as Warren is my number 1 pick, maybe her not going down in history as a 'failure' of a President and letting Biden hold that L will keep the progressive wing of the party chomping at the bit to get someone like AOC in the White House.

Because if Warren wins now and has a "failed" Presidency, that makes a like-minded progressive like AOC's chances in 2028 much worse, as people will (inaccurately) hold Warren's time in office as a testament to her school of thought leading to poor results. I feel like 2028 will be a time where (hopefully) the country and economy have rebounded somewhat from where we are.

Those who understand Strategy are in awe of Dems the masters.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/joe-biden-supports-a-ban-on-government-funding-for-abortion-update-now-against-ban.121125/page-9#post-21534692

This kind of thinking got us John Kerry  :'(

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19415 on: June 07, 2019, 03:35:16 PM »
you see it's actually great if biden wins because then he will be saddled with trumps problems and everyone will hate him then we'll have eight years of another republican president who makes things ever worse but then america will be primed for aoc to usher in a socialistic utopia just wait another twelve years guys
dog

Jansen

« Reply #19416 on: June 07, 2019, 03:38:52 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/twitter-account-fgcreacts-is-a-goldmine.121618/

kalmakoffees new account. Was really hard figuring it out...

https://mobile.twitter.com/kalmakoffee?lang=en

How long till their next meltdown :heh

marrec

« Reply #19417 on: June 07, 2019, 03:44:01 PM »
There's a roller derby team whose practice rink is down the street and they just look like your typical soccer or softball chicks.

I have no clue how a roller derby team rents out a large space like that on the outskirts of an expensive city..  guess it must make some money.

I have a cousin who does it, they all chipped in for uniforms and practice spaces and didn't make much at all from events. I have no idea how it's sustainable lol

jorma

« Reply #19418 on: June 07, 2019, 03:49:52 PM »
There's a roller derby team whose practice rink is down the street and they just look like your typical soccer or softball chicks.

I have no clue how a roller derby team rents out a large space like that on the outskirts of an expensive city..  guess it must make some money.

I have a cousin who does it, they all chipped in for uniforms and practice spaces and didn't make much at all from events. I have no idea how it's sustainable lol

is she a daisy or a buttercup?
just wanna know which design is the more authentic one

clothedmacuser

• Defender of Centrist Scum
« Reply #19419 on: June 07, 2019, 03:52:52 PM »

I assume beer is the answer.
sigh

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #19420 on: June 07, 2019, 03:53:01 PM »

Al Gore's internet was a mistake

this has been the worst fucking shit since gaf was doing it in like 2009

any disagreement at all and you're met with "go to amazon and buy these three books and read through them and then get back to me, otherwise you're wasting my time"

yeah ok

I'll just not have a discussion on this discussion forum because I haven't read the exact same sources as you, which may be biased, incorrect, indoctrinating, and ultimately I may find unconvincing, to be met with your curt reply of "hm k agree to disagree  :smug"

no one ever reads this shit, no matter who presents it or what the subject is

whenever your first thought is to do this, imagine whether you would read THEIR bullshit and of course you wouldn't

presenting someone with a massive pile of reading material is also a good sign that they are incapable of the kind of independent thought needed to succinctly summarize their own points, presumably their own strongly-held beliefs they can't even defend so they just try to dismiss the person with homework

and before you keyboard warriors start typing away furiously don't @ me, read this and then you'll have the knowledge to properly address this subject
Uncle

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

marrec

« Reply #19423 on: June 07, 2019, 04:00:30 PM »

is she a daisy or a buttercup?
just wanna know which design is the more authentic one

Most of their team are Daisy's, but every team has a Buttercup enforcer.

Jansen

« Reply #19424 on: June 07, 2019, 04:07:59 PM »

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #19425 on: June 07, 2019, 04:09:01 PM »
Roller Derby is a fun time, and yes that giant Buttercup broad is totally supposed to be a reference to an enforcer.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
Uncle

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19427 on: June 07, 2019, 04:23:08 PM »
ど助平

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #19428 on: June 07, 2019, 04:24:26 PM »
I’m pro Epic games store. I don’t pc game but devs making more money per game is great.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #19429 on: June 07, 2019, 04:36:54 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/cop-who-shot-911-caller-sentenced-to-12%C2%BD-years-in-prison.121581/

Conflicted emotions in here.

Even though this is the right result, it still feels wrong

I have to wonder what the reaction would have been if he didn't get convicted  :whatsthedeal

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #19430 on: June 07, 2019, 04:37:31 PM »
AbOlIsH CoPs

I'd love to see that happen in their fantasy world, they wouldn't last a week.

PogiJones

« Reply #19431 on: June 07, 2019, 04:40:47 PM »
Even though this is the right result, it still feels wrong
:social2

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #19432 on: June 07, 2019, 04:43:04 PM »
also they act like police officers who commit crimes don't get convicted.

https://policecrime.bgsu.edu/Home/Crimes#

eat it REE.

marrec

« Reply #19433 on: June 07, 2019, 04:47:29 PM »

eat it REE.

Lots of Off-Duty murders.

I think people are more exasperated about a lack of On-Duty murder accountability.

I did see a few On-Duty murders tho, so... yay?

Also, holy shit they really do kill a lot of black people.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #19434 on: June 07, 2019, 04:50:17 PM »
When you've abolished the cops and the army  8)

« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 04:54:33 PM by Nintex »
🤴

stufte

« Reply #19435 on: June 07, 2019, 04:53:32 PM »

eat it REE.

Lots of Off-Duty murders.

I think people are more exasperated about a lack of On-Duty murder accountability.

I did see a few On-Duty murders tho, so... yay?

Also, holy shit they really do kill a lot of black people.

But REE sees every shooting of a black person as unjustifiable, so... ?

stufte

« Reply #19436 on: June 07, 2019, 04:58:53 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/cop-who-shot-911-caller-sentenced-to-12%C2%BD-years-in-prison.121581/post-21543974

Fuck all pigs, but not surprised at all that they waited for a non-white cop to make an example.

oh fuck off, lol.

Jansen

« Reply #19437 on: June 07, 2019, 04:59:34 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/twitter-account-fgcreacts-is-a-goldmine.121618/

kalmakoffees new account. Was really hard figuring it out...

https://mobile.twitter.com/kalmakoffee?lang=en

How long till their next meltdown :heh
And that's another thread backfire for kalmakoffee lol

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #19438 on: June 07, 2019, 05:00:43 PM »
AbOlIsH CoPs

I've yet to hear an explanation for how this would work that wasn't basically cops again but with a different name.

stufte

« Reply #19439 on: June 07, 2019, 05:02:57 PM »
AbOlIsH CoPs

I've yet to hear an explanation for how this would work that wasn't basically cops again but with a different name.

It's usually "community accountability" and tribunals. Which, as we know, always turns out just results.