Author Topic: Dark Souls 2 |OT| of only the most hardcore gamers on the planet  (Read 16809 times)

FatalT

Re: Dark Souls 2 |OT| of only the most hardcore gamers on the planet
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2014, 08:14:01 PM »
I'm about 11 and a half hours in now.

DEM STATS

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2014, 09:40:33 PM »
How on earth are you lvl 74 after 11 hours :anhuld

where are you supposed to go after you get to Manjula?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 09:42:31 PM by The Sceneman »

drew

• sy
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2014, 10:53:40 PM »
He always plays his games way too fast and in binges. basically he is a beast :bow
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 02:36:07 AM by drew »

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2014, 08:37:08 AM »

i'm sorry if i'm coming off as annoying but this is the most hilarious thing i've seen this whole week :neogaf

<----

drew

• sy
« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2014, 09:00:43 AM »
beat the fatty knight in the church and the gargoyles pretty handily last night, I think I'm finally getting a good grasp of this game (DS1, of course)

dumped all my available upgrades into my set of elite knight armor, not sure how smart that was but it felt like the right thing to do at the time...running with the Drake sword now, but am gonna look into other weapon's movesets to see what I should go with beyond that. Really starting to have fun with this, can't believe it took me so long to play.

edit: oh and the wizard on the second story in the church, kicked his ass too 8)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 09:06:37 AM by drew »

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2014, 10:54:18 AM »
dumped all my available upgrades into my set of elite knight armor, not sure how smart that was but it felt like the right thing to do at the time...running with the Drake sword now, but am gonna look into other weapon's movesets to see what I should go with beyond that. Really starting to have fun with this, can't believe it took me so long to play.
that is a complete waste. good news about the other stuff tho!
SRY

drew

• sy
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2014, 12:50:43 PM »
eh, I know there's better armor out there, but I had just gotten that set and figured I wouldn't be coming across anything better for awhile, and the game is starting to throw bigger enemies at you around the same time.  I can always grind shards around the church I hear or just buy them so I feel ok about it.

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2014, 12:51:36 PM »
:ufup
vin

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2014, 02:08:42 PM »
It's not that there are better sets, it's that armor is sort of useless. If you like the elite knight set, just roll with that for the rest of the game. The only thing worth upgrading at the smith is your weapon, but right now you're wielding the noob-cannon of Dark Souls which is purposely designed to wane in use outside of the starting areas because it doesn't scale well with any stat and the material required for upgrade isn't easy to come by.

Find a normal weapon with a move-set you like that scales off the stats you've been leveling the most (either STR or DEX) and level that weapon forever. It will last you the entirety of the game. Btw some hot combat tips:

Pressing B without pressing the analog stick gives you a back dash which will escape most attacks if timed correctly, and pressing RB immediately after executes a special, post-dash move that has quick recovery. Ditto for pressing attack directly out of a side-roll. These moves are really useful in the right situation, and exist with every weapon.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 02:10:21 PM by Raban »
SRY

FatalT

« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2014, 03:27:57 PM »
How on earth are you lvl 74 after 11 hours :anhuld

where are you supposed to go after you get to Manjula?

He always plays his games way too fast and in binges. basically he is a beast :bow

Bahahah you guys made me laugh out loud. I'm not gonna lie, the Dark Souls games intimidate me. To get past that intimidation I use a guide :P

http://www.ign.com/wikis/dark-souls-2/Walkthrough

UNFORTUNATELY THE PLACE I'M AT NOW ISN'T ON THERE SO I'M HAVING TO GO IN BLIND FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2014, 03:37:13 PM »
I am spending the evening drinking beer and playing dark souls 2 because I'm a mature hardcore gamer man.

I picked the dual swordsman, which in retrospect seems a bit of a poor decision since I don't really like dual wielding swords. Just beat what I presume is the first boss (last giant). got an achievement and everything.

I'm not fond of these turtlemen tho. takes like five stabs to kill one and I can only get in one attack between theirs, so it takes a lot of time to go through an area where there are several.

FatalT

« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2014, 03:44:55 PM »
I'm gonna take Dark Souls 2 back to Red Box and wait for the PC version. I'll make my same character when it comes out though. Until then I'm gonna play through Dark Souls 1 again on PC.

drew

• sy
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2014, 08:16:05 PM »
what makes that set of armor useless? because it doesn't do anything special? I keep hearing about Havel armor (browsing the old gaf thread), the elite knight set is by far the coolest looking set I've come across and also the most effective, looked at it earlier and i didn't go too crazy - the highest upgrade was +3 with one +2 and the rest just being +1...I mean it's not like I went balls out and +5'd everything (thank god)

I liked the Claymore before I got the Drake sword, is something like the longsword viable throughout the game as long as you keep upgrading it? Can you change it into a completely new weapon with a Boss soul sometime down the line?  speaking of I just killed that giant moth 8)

didn't know about the post dash/roll quick attack, thanks.  I always seem to forget about the backdash while in combat :lol
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 08:18:38 PM by drew »

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2014, 08:47:52 PM »
Armor doesn't really defend against damage in Dark Souls. It's useful for poise so you aren't easily staggered when hit, but you shouldn't be getting hit anyways. Havel's is a popular armor because I think it has the highest poise rating in the game. There might be one other set that beats it.

Yes, the longsword is viable, but the damage is a little lower than the claymore if you compare both weapons at +15. Yes, you could turn it into a different weapon with a boss soul, but unless you're going for achievements don't bother. From Software pulled the ultimate cocktease by making all the rad-looking boss weapons some of the worst in the game with regards to damage/animations. There is ONE boss weapon that has the second-highest damage in the game paired with an incredible move-set, but you only need the broken sword hilt to make it.

You can also enchant weapons like the longsword or claymore with fire/magic/divine damage, you just have to find the blacksmith who'll do it for you. Imo I'd stick with the normal upgrade path and make a separate divine weapon, as it'll come in handy when you get to the Catacombs.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 08:52:22 PM by Raban »
SRY

drew

• sy
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2014, 11:50:59 AM »
it doesn't? Then what does the physical defense stat have to do with? or do you mean it technically does but realistically doesn't do much when it comes to protecting you from your health bar being depleted.

I liked the Claymore because of it's high damage output, at the time it was the most powerful weapon I had come across, the moves list is good though, it has a natural and relatively quick side to side swipe with a nice overhead chop as a heavy attack.  What was your favorite weapon when you played through?  I'm also liking the Halberd, I switch to it sometimes for poking at range or it's spin attack.  Is something like the swashbuckling/fencing style sword viable throughout the game?  Because I actually like that one too, it seems to me it would be easy to get quick attacks from behind a shield with it.

I noticed that the boss weapons sucked, even though I like how the Gargoyle shield/axe combo looks (I'll even switch to them when just running around for dat swagger)...but anyways whats the boss weapon that you were saying is second best? telling me would save me time searching wikias looking for it.

I was actually thinking about heading on down to the Catacombs because I'm feeling pretty cocky with all my recent kills :lol  the one guy I'm still having trouble with is the weird looking guy right after the first blacksmith that shoots balls of electricity.

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2014, 12:04:24 PM »
it doesn't? Then what does the physical defense stat have to do with? or do you mean it technically does but realistically doesn't do much when it comes to protecting you from your health bar being depleted.
That.

The Claymore was my favorite weapon. I used it from beginning to the very end and it served me well. The one-handed heavy attack was especially good at saving my ass. Yeah, the fencing/curved sword weapons are viable, but again they're gonna have lower damage than something like the Claymore. The Halberd is a great weapon though, with comparable damage.

The boss weapon I'm talking about requires Sif's Soul, but you can also make a really good greatshield with it if that's the kinda thing you want. And ah, the guy near the blacksmith is a titanite demon, and they're never really all that fun (or necessary) to fight. You can zone the one in that area to death by standing behind a piece of debris and just plugging away with arrows if you want.

You might be able to take on the Catacombs at this point, but if you've only just rung the first bell the next place to go as far as progression is concerned is the Depths/Blighttown. You can also return to the starting area (it's different than how you left it) by getting on top of the building at Firelink, getting the Undead Asylum key, and curling up in the crow's nest.
SRY

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2014, 04:51:31 PM »
Is anyone playing this? :noah

I found the game totally nut busting to begin with, the gangs of soldiers with halberds/greatswords in the Forest of Fallen Giants fort area were reaming my butthole with extreme prejudice. Their combos were simply so bloodthirsty and could easily one shot me if I got caught in em.

I've beaten a couple bosses now and got my STR up to like 32. I'm rocking a plain 'ol club because it has A grade STR scaling. It basically annihilates anything I come across.

The Ring of Binding is a HUGE help. This makes your HP cap at 75%, as opposed to the default 50%. From what I can tell HP modifiers from other rings are applied after this, so I seemed to be locked at 80% or so HP.

@brobzoid those turtle men go down with 2 quick swipes with my club set up. Try strike type weapons!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 04:55:40 PM by The Sceneman »

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2014, 05:10:43 PM »
ah, I don't have any blunt weapons yet. Found a fire longsword, which is ok at +3. I've yet to find any large titanite shards so +3 is as high as my shit's gotten. I suppose I could buy a club or something, but eh. fukk it.

Made my way to the a boss called The Pursuer earlier. who looked real cool. Kinda reminded me of the penetrator from Demon Souls.

archie4208

« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2014, 05:36:14 PM »
I'm playing.  Stuck at a few bosses right now so I'm taking a break.

Been running as a paladin smiting bitches with my mace and throwing bolts of lighting from the heavens.

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2014, 06:28:41 PM »
demi :bow2

well guys, it was nice knowing ya!
SRY

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #80 on: March 15, 2014, 07:21:55 PM »
That's weird, I'm pretty sure I ordered the "Black Armor Edition"
fat

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #81 on: March 15, 2014, 08:18:33 PM »

I liked the Claymore because of it's high damage output, at the time it was the most powerful weapon I had come across, the moves list is good though, it has a natural and relatively quick side to side swipe with a nice overhead chop as a heavy attack.  What was your favorite weapon when you played through?  I'm also liking the Halberd, I switch to it sometimes for poking at range or it's spin attack.  Is something like the swashbuckling/fencing style sword viable throughout the game?  Because I actually like that one too, it seems to me it would be easy to get quick attacks from behind a shield with it.

I noticed that the boss weapons sucked, even though I like how the Gargoyle shield/axe combo looks (I'll even switch to them when just running around for dat swagger)...but anyways whats the boss weapon that you were saying is second best? telling me would save me time searching wikias looking for it.

I was actually thinking about heading on down to the Catacombs because I'm feeling pretty cocky with all my recent kills :lol  the one guy I'm still having trouble with is the weird looking guy right after the first blacksmith that shoots balls of electricity.

Grab the zweihander.  I used that the entire game.  It's sexy.

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #82 on: March 15, 2014, 08:22:20 PM »
That's weird, I'm pretty sure I ordered the "Black Armor Edition"
Yeah the invoice said as much, but it just came in the regular box. I already opened it tho soooohhh... :yeshrug
Game is amazing so far. Zappin niccas with soul arrow.
SRY

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #83 on: March 15, 2014, 11:17:14 PM »
I hope it at least came with the DLC token  :fbm

Club +5 is my main weapon, it's boring but gets the job done lol. I'm experimenting with the Halberd for funneling groups of mobs and taking them out, it's a stamina hog and hard to handle, but effective if used right. I never used polearms in DS1 so I'm enjoying it. Not sure whether or not to put more points in DEX so I can use more advanced spears, or to just keep pumping STR, in the hope that a beefier blunt weapon turns up soon. I havent used a single spell yet, becuase I picked my side. I went bows over anal play :(

From the loading screens I can tell Zweihander is back, can't wait to get my hands on that badboi again.

I'm still not sure of the eventually non-spawning baddies is good or not. It makes getting around way easier but also rules out farming of any kind. I've found that bosses drop an assload of souls and I have like 20 soul giving items in my inventory (not even counting boss souls) so souls are plentiful.

I'm loving the new messaging system, with the particles and new phrase building structure, theres potential for some richly poetic messes, HAHA. Best one I've seen so far: "tongue but hole"
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 11:23:29 PM by The Sceneman »

Damian79

« Reply #84 on: March 16, 2014, 12:28:51 AM »
Probably for the best but i will just run through this game on the pc on normal and wash my hands of it.  Diablo 3 would be calling me too much in the same time frame.

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #85 on: March 16, 2014, 01:43:58 AM »
I finished my first playthrough (with a pure melee dexterity character). I did everything I could think of (all sidequests and optional bosses) but I'm sure I missed plenty of secret areas and such. Going to do a simple +/- review because it's easier for me. I'll try to keep spoilers to the bare minimum, but I'll put it in tags just in case:

spoiler (click to show/hide)
+ Combat is pretty much the same as always, but the enemies are a bit smarter. It seemed harder to run away from them and heal (and health recovery felt slower after drinking a flask), and it's definitely harder to avoid attacks when you're really close to someone. For example, when enemies do big overheard attacks, it seems to track you a lot better. If you try running behind them or roll too early, you're probably going to get smashed.
+ Backstabs seem harder to abuse. You can take damage during the animation now and it seemed harder to get behind most of the enemies. You also have to initiate backstabs with a punch or kick, so it's easier to miss them.
+ 4 ring slots make builds more customizable, as does the higher equip burden (fast roll until 70%).
+ Online play seems better. I only tried it for a couple hours, but everything felt nice and smooth (minus one or two laggy battles). You can also be invaded while hollow, which is a nice change (the more invasions, the better).
+ The weapon upgrade system is more straightforward, as are the boss soul weapons. (I kinda miss collecting the embers from all over the world, but that also became a nuisance after a while)
+ None of the areas feel rush or unfinished, like some of the final bits of the original.
+ The boss fights might be the best in the series (I'll have to play it a few more times to say for sure). A few of them are pointless because they're so easy, but none of them are bad like the Bed of Chaos, and several of them are really good.
+ Special rewards for challenge runs (rings for beating the game without dying and beating the game without using a bonfire). A good first step, but it would've been great if they had even more for beating the game at SL1, beating the game without equipping any armor/rings, beating the game under a certain time limit, etc.
+ Good performance on the 360. It seems to run at 30-40 fps pretty much the entire time, at the cost of some screen tearing (which typically doesn't bother me).
+ New Game+ is better. It's no longer a straight damage increase, there are new enemies, new items, and apparently new secrets to discover.

= The difficulty is about the same as the previous game. It's actually probably harder than the current version of Dark Souls, since that game got easier with every patch. :D
= You're no longer invincible during most of the animations (you can get hit while pulling a lever, opening a door, entering a fog gate, etc). I think this is a positive, but it can be annoying in certain areas because it's harder to run by the enemies and enter the fog without taking any damage. That will probably be painful in SL1 runs. (I think SL1 will be much harder in general, especially if you're doing a naked/no shield/melee only run)
= The lighting "downgrade". I'm actually glad that they backtracked on their emphasis on darkness. The early previews made me think this was going to be Tomb of Giants: The Game, and that never sounded any good to me. But on the other hand, the game looks pretty bad in some areas due to flat lighting or ugly textures that probably would have been masked by the darkness. The lighting/shadows do look really good when you light bonfires, use Pharros Stones in certain areas, or hold a torch, though.

- Soul Memory. Just seems like a pointless wall they put in place that further reduces the amount of players you can connect to.
- Most of the areas aren't as memorable to me as the last game's. They aren't bad by any means, but almost nothing stands out as being as awesome as Sen's Fortress, Anor Londo, Ash Lake, the Duke's Archives, etc.
- Likewise, most of the bosses aren't as impressive. (I'm not talking about their patterns, just the visual design and their significance in the world)
- I don't like the story or lore as much as the original's, but maybe that's just because I already know so much about that game and DS2 is brand new. I'm sure it'll grow on me over time.
- Maybe I missed it, but there doesn't seem to be an infinite-use item for invasions...

? None of the merchants sell somewhat essential items, like poison moss. It doesn't bother me because I'm always incredibly stingy about resources in RPGs, but that seems like an oversight.
[close]

Probably forgot a few things, but TLDR; It's a great game and a worthy successor to Dark Souls (which is probably my favorite RPG of all time). It didn't grab me as much as the original, but I think that's because Dark Souls was a complete evolution of the Demon's Souls formula, whereas DS2 is just a refinement.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 04:22:40 AM by iconoclast »
BiSH

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #86 on: March 16, 2014, 03:21:45 PM »
I'm finding this game a lot tougher than the first, as cheap tactics like circle-strafing and the parry aren't nearly as effective. It might be me, but I also have a hard time dodging a lot of attacks, especially from larger enemies. Lots of feint that keeps me guessing. Haven't even found a boss yet and I'm kinda stuck with regards to where I go next, but I'll keep digging around.
SRY

archie4208

« Reply #87 on: March 16, 2014, 05:20:26 PM »
Having only 1 Estus charge and lower max HP after death makes the early game harder than DS1.

It evens out later on though.

Himu

« Reply #88 on: March 16, 2014, 05:27:03 PM »
Can't wait. enemy Ai is one of my biggest complaints with the series. No more crappy ragdoll either. :bow
IYKYK

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #90 on: March 16, 2014, 07:29:18 PM »
Having only 1 Estus charge and lower max HP after death makes the early game harder than DS1.

It evens out later on though.

Yeah, the game smooths out once your stats and gear improve, but it's damn rough at the start. I've killed 7 bosses as per my soul collection, and progress is going pretty smooth at this point in the game.

PROTIP FOR EASY EARLY ESTUS CHARGE UPGRADE:
In Manjula, theres a well next the largest building (the one behind the big circular pit). Attack the rock sitting on the side of the well, it will drop down and pull up a corpse holding an Estus Shard! Afaik you can get this right at the beginning of the game.
[close]

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #91 on: March 16, 2014, 11:55:28 PM »
I rerolled and picked Explorer, and decided to use the halberd. Beat a couple bosses, got my halberd to +5 and my estus to 3, and I'm finally starting to get the hang of dodging enemies and knowing when it's okay to run past. Definitely starting to feel the hooks sink in.
SRY

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #92 on: March 17, 2014, 12:04:48 AM »
the "Penal" gear set :bow

"Penal Skirt" is going into the books as one of the greatest videogame item names of all time

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #93 on: March 18, 2014, 12:06:57 AM »
Thread is dead. Enjoy your mobile future fuckers

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #94 on: March 18, 2014, 12:32:16 AM »
lmao at this custom Dark Souls merch: http://www.redbubble.com/shop/dark+souls+t-shirts

I want this so bad:

drew

• sy
« Reply #95 on: March 18, 2014, 12:42:21 AM »
Thread is dead. Enjoy your mobile future fuckers

really is surprising and disappointing...

fuckers.

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #96 on: March 18, 2014, 01:14:53 AM »
We're just too busy playing the game.

I beat another area
No Man's Wharf
[close]
I'm starting to see what icono meant by "bosses so easy they're pointless", I had a much harder time getting through the stage than fighting the boss. It's really starting to bother me how quickly weapons degrade in this game. I know the bonfire repairs them but the last area especially broke my halberd twice because of how many enemies I had to cut through.

Also finallly found a couple places where Pharros' Keystone can be used and the results were :jawalrus
SRY

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #97 on: March 18, 2014, 01:22:03 AM »
Yeah the weapon degradation means you gotta pack backup weapons and focus on having a more sweet loadout. All good IMO

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #98 on: March 18, 2014, 04:00:35 AM »
one person on TA already has 1000/1000 :anhuld

I let my flatmate play my copy of Dark Souls 2 tonight, so I'm punishing myself by playing Undertow :noah

FatalT

« Reply #99 on: March 18, 2014, 03:52:03 PM »
Dark Souls on PC doesn't cooperate with the PS4 controller. The right analog (camera) just spins around over and over. I need to use the PS3 controller to play it I think, damn.

El Babua

« Reply #100 on: March 18, 2014, 11:21:16 PM »
Game is pretty good.

I miss the disgusting body horror of Demon's Souls and the dinginess of Dark Souls though. The world of DS2 is a lot more "clean fantasy" so far.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #101 on: March 19, 2014, 12:05:34 AM »
ah theres plenty of dingy shit in Dark Souls 2. Wait until you get to:

No-Man's Wharf
[close]

Man this is a great track:

« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 01:06:44 AM by The Sceneman »

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #102 on: March 19, 2014, 01:02:55 PM »
:aah this game is getting so fun. The session I just finished had me seeing the end of the Tower of Flame, The Lost Bastille and Belfry Luna. I really love all the weird throwbacks to the first game in this.
The gargoyle fight was tough at first but so fucking awesome when I beat them all by myself 8) Also the "Old Dragonslayer"? :lol I was grinning ear to ear for the entire fight.
[close]
oh and I got my estus to 5 charges, finally
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 01:06:38 PM by Raban »
SRY

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #103 on: March 19, 2014, 02:09:36 PM »
Fuck I'm crazy busy right now where too after

The last of the giants?  I wish I had more time to play this :(
[close]
vin

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #104 on: March 19, 2014, 02:44:32 PM »
There are a couple areas you can go to connected to the Forest of Giants once you've beaten it, start at the second bonfire. You can also go to the Tower of Flame which you can get to from Majula.
SRY

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #105 on: March 19, 2014, 03:33:29 PM »
:aah this game is getting so fun. The session I just finished had me seeing the end of the Tower of Flame, The Lost Bastille and Belfry Luna. I really love all the weird throwbacks to the first game in this.
The gargoyle fight was tough at first but so fucking awesome when I beat them all by myself 8) Also the "Old Dragonslayer"? :lol I was grinning ear to ear for the entire fight.
[close]
oh and I got my estus to 5 charges, finally

How the hell do you get to the Belfry? I'm just going through Huntsman's Copse atm

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #106 on: March 19, 2014, 04:15:40 PM »
Wtf is Huntsman's Copse(Corpse?), haven't been there yet! How many goddamn areas are in this game? You get to Belfry's from the Servant's Quarters bonfire in The Lost Bastille, right after the sentinels.

I found a bunch of new areas and I'm convinced this game has way better/more memorable level design than Dark Souls. The Gutter :bow2
SRY

drew

• sy
« Reply #107 on: March 19, 2014, 04:46:18 PM »
Game is pretty good.

I miss the disgusting body horror of Demon's Souls and the dinginess of Dark Souls though. The world of DS2 is a lot more "clean fantasy" so far.

I love the dark and as you said dingy look to DS.  When I was a kid I was into this shit too and even back then I would look around in the forest during the Fall/Winter and be like "if someone actually went on an adventure in the real world it would be depressing and miserable as hell"

growing up in the Ohio former (at least in most places) swamp land :bow

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #108 on: March 19, 2014, 05:28:20 PM »
Wtf is Huntsman's Copse(Corpse?), haven't been there yet! How many goddamn areas are in this game? You get to Belfry's from the Servant's Quarters bonfire in The Lost Bastille, right after the sentinels.

I found a bunch of new areas and I'm convinced this game has way better/more memorable level design than Dark Souls. The Gutter :bow2

From what I can tell theres a LOT of areas in this game, from what I reading the game is twice the size of DS1. Huntsman's Copse is found by:

Talking to the Miracle vendor in Heide's Tower of Flame, exhausting her dialogue, she'll move to the "contraption" in Manjula. Pay her 2000 souls and she'll move the rotunda and open a new area.
[close]

How the heck did I miss the Belfry? I thought I had gone through the Bastille with a fine tooth comb. Damn this game is massive, I love it.

Also:

copse
noun
1. a small group of trees.
synonyms:   thicket, grove, wood, coppice, stand, clump, brake; More

The more you know!

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #109 on: March 19, 2014, 05:58:32 PM »
Game is pretty good.

I love the dark and as you said dingy look to DS.  When I was a kid I was into this shit too and even back then I would look around in the forest during the Fall/Winter and be like "if someone actually went on an adventure in the real world it would be depressing and miserable as hell"

growing up in the Ohio former (at least in most places) swamp land :bow
oh you're gonna love Dark Souls 2
SRY

drew

• sy
« Reply #110 on: March 19, 2014, 06:16:22 PM »
it's getting hard to not just say fuck it and pick up a copy.  I mean I'm not gonna do it, I would never play through DS1 if I did.  :spin

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #111 on: March 19, 2014, 06:22:48 PM »
where are you at in DS1 now, drew?
SRY

drew

• sy
« Reply #112 on: March 19, 2014, 11:15:40 PM »
i think the next step is to go down to the darkroot basin and kill that fucker down there...still need to ring the second bell, forget where that smug asshole in the chainmail by the firelink bonfire told me it was.  hell, I forget why I even need to ring the bells. :lol

oh, and I killed that gold knight you can free from jail, got a nice ring, almost took it off right away to see how much health and stamina it gave me, ALMOST.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #113 on: March 19, 2014, 11:29:35 PM »
You won't have a chance against the hydra now unless you are talking about Havel. 

drew

• sy
« Reply #114 on: March 19, 2014, 11:33:29 PM »
nope, Lautrec I believe his name was.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #115 on: March 19, 2014, 11:35:24 PM »
No, I was referring to 'that fucker'. 

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #116 on: March 19, 2014, 11:46:32 PM »
i think the next step is to go down to the darkroot basin and kill that fucker down there...still need to ring the second bell, forget where that smug asshole in the chainmail by the firelink bonfire told me it was.  hell, I forget why I even need to ring the bells. :lol

oh, and I killed that gold knight you can free from jail, got a nice ring, almost took it off right away to see how much health and stamina it gave me, ALMOST.
Ah, the next place you go is Blighttown. There are two ways to get there, one's through the Lower Undead Burg and eventually The Depths which is rather challenging, and you can access that by using the locked door on the far end of the bridge guarded by the giant red wyvern. The other way can only work if you have the master key, which you do by taking the elevator from under Firelink Shrine and hanging a right as soon as you step out into New Londo Ruins. You can forget about the sea monster in Darkroot Basin for now.

And once you ring the bells, you'll open... well, you'll see.

Anyways I played more of Dark Souls 2. Beat The Gutter, Black Gulch, and Huntsman's Copse (thanks for the tip Sceneman ;)) and found some really cool-looking areas afterward. About 13ish hours in with a level 79 character and I'm already confident about saying this is a better game than the first. I think the balance with regards to the player's strength is much improved and the level design is so deliciously evil. Poison becomes a motherfucker later on.
SRY

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #117 on: March 20, 2014, 04:03:10 PM »
three out of four great souls embraced, this fucking game :noah lost sinner :whew :lawd

demi, seriously thank you so much for buying it for me :heartbeat :heartbeat :heartbeat this is gonna be like my favorite 360 game by the time I'm done
SRY

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #118 on: March 20, 2014, 04:13:12 PM »
Hopefully it stays on your concious when you try to leave in a huff.
fat

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #119 on: March 20, 2014, 04:14:06 PM »
it does :-[ :-*
SRY