Author Topic: why do conservative types go nuts about (he/him) (she/her)?  (Read 1674 times)

Rman

why do conservative types go nuts about (he/him) (she/her)?
« on: March 05, 2021, 04:28:48 PM »
i see this all over twitter.  dummies having heart attacks about this. that idiot from the mandalorian couldn't shut-up about this. why? ppl want to die on the dumbest hills.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
Re: why do conservative types go nuts about (he/him) (she/her)?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 05:01:12 PM »
because they don't understand and woke shid gets ridiculous at times. so they aren't always wrong either.

imagine trying to explain your preferred gender pronouns to some lost tribe in the amazon  :lol then get angry when they don't care or even laugh about it  :mueller

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2021, 06:57:32 PM »
Way back when on Twitter when I made my account I put something like: "I'm a Hind D" or something in my bio because I was joking around with a friend about Metal Gear Solid at that time.

Years later I got a lot of hateful messages until I realized folx thought it had something to do with that Attack Helicopter meme.  :doge
🤴

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 07:05:21 PM »
because they don't understand and woke shid gets ridiculous at times. so they aren't always wrong either.

imagine trying to explain your preferred gender pronouns to some lost tribe in the amazon  :lol then get angry when they don't care or even laugh about it  :mueller

This is far more ridiculous and completely misunderstands linguistics.  It wouldn't be very different from explaining honorifics.  The amazon tribe in question might not even use or understand gendered pronouns at all.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2021, 07:28:26 PM »
How about because how other people choose to identify themselves should be nobody's fucking business?

https://twitter.com/ginacarano/status/1305075373701357568

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2021, 07:31:01 PM »
I think it's because ironically while putting it in a twitter bio is meant to be an inclusive gesture, what it typically means is "never call attention to this specific thing ever, because if you do I'm going to be big mad and bring the wrath of non-existent god down upon you"

if a twitter bio doesn't give pronouns, you can't assume anything in particular about that person, it's neutral

if it does include pronouns? kind of says a lot about what you can expect
Uncle

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2021, 08:10:40 PM »
Because everything is culture war now.
dog

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2021, 08:28:57 PM »

Yikes,  nice way to denigrate pows

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2021, 08:36:36 PM »
Did granddad fight tooth-and-nail in the Dr. Seuss trenches against a horde of blue-haired they/thems? Did granddad watch his buddies get cut down on by biting sarcasm on Twitter for standing up for Mr. Potato Head? Did granddad eat 125 cans of Goya beans in one week just to prove a point to someone on the internet? I think not. He wouldn't understand my struggle.
dog

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2021, 08:42:11 PM »
Back in my day I had to walk to school uphill both ways after the bus cancelled me.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2021, 09:13:00 PM »
Personally I don't care what you want to call yourself. I also don't care if I accidentally get your personal pronouns wrong. I'm not doing it to be offensive, especially online where I can't see you. What I do find offensive is when people try to force others by using the brute force method of legislation or public shaming. It's like they want me to do the opposite of what they want. But hey, I grew up in the 90s...my generation's anthem is literally, "fuck you I won't do what you tell me".
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 11:10:34 PM by Potato »
Spud

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2021, 10:00:48 PM »
my current peeve is people saying "no one is burning books" "no one is banning books" "ugh when you voluntarily choose to self-censor because you realized you used to be a shithead it's totally different"

ignoring that chilling effects exist, these things can be done out of fear instead of goodwill, and all that really matters is the end result

"well akchewally" technicalities that at one time people pretended were annoying and ignored the point of what was being said

did you burn all the dr seuss books and now no one can ever read them? or did you stop selling them, prevent resale of them as ebay is doing, get them pulled from library shelves as they saw the writing on the wall, and now no one can ever read them? who the fuck cares what the lead up was to the end result?

and yes dr seuss's sus drawings don't matter specifically, they're just the latest in line

eventually, something has to matter

(the thing that will matter will be a disney movie)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 10:05:55 PM by Uncle »
Uncle

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2021, 11:18:51 PM »
you should be thankful that the world grows more contorted, hostile and unfamiliar to you as you get old. it's life's way of gently ushering you out the door of the party.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2021, 11:48:37 PM »
that's the hope anyway, that those who choose to perceive the world as being hostile toward them and work to shut down rather than create will either recognize it leads to an unproductive life, or end up languishing in the narrow place they've created for themselves
Uncle

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2021, 11:51:40 PM »
But being a grumpy old man is kinda fun sometimes...
Spud

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2021, 12:43:27 AM »
my current peeve is people saying "no one is burning books" "no one is banning books" "ugh when you voluntarily choose to self-censor because you realized you used to be a shithead it's totally different"

ignoring that chilling effects exist, these things can be done out of fear instead of goodwill, and all that really matters is the end result

"well akchewally" technicalities that at one time people pretended were annoying and ignored the point of what was being said

did you burn all the dr seuss books and now no one can ever read them? or did you stop selling them, prevent resale of them as ebay is doing, get them pulled from library shelves as they saw the writing on the wall, and now no one can ever read them? who the fuck cares what the lead up was to the end result?

and yes dr seuss's sus drawings don't matter specifically, they're just the latest in line

eventually, something has to matter

(the thing that will matter will be a disney movie)

oh no i cant buy the racist dr seuss books anymore
dog

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2021, 02:25:51 AM »
and yet you can easily buy mein kampf
Uncle

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2021, 05:06:43 AM »
There's no greater plan behind all this. Mein Kampf is in the public domain, those Dr. Seuss books are not. The rules are being followed consistently.

(Prior to being released to the public domain, Bavaria had the publishing rights and shut down publishing of the book in Germany. Other countries didn't give a shit about German copyright, obviously.)

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2021, 06:22:48 AM »
I'm not "conservative" in the first place, so don't have a problem with the pronoun in bio thing (infact it's convenient), but i do have a problem with the "dying on this hill" expression.

Nobody would be dying on any hill, if expressing a dissenting opinion wasn't so controversial in and of itself and met with the usual gang up of internet mobs.
Especially if an opinion is partiularly stupid, it should be all the more easy to dismantle with some kind of critical thought and civility.

People become very "punk" when the mob's behind them and they can gang up on someone, not so much when they're on the other side, then it becomes "lol why are you dying on this hill?".  :doge

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2021, 06:38:52 AM »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2021, 06:59:02 AM »
Why does the bi flag have less colors than the gay ones?  >:(

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2021, 07:49:49 AM »

I think it’s always been this way, just the battle lines get redrawn every 10-15 years, so it feels new. When I was young it was free speech and gay rights.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
(ice)

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2021, 12:35:01 AM »
Why does the bi flag have less colors than the gay ones?  >:(
so you bitalians can combine both flags  :delicious

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2021, 12:56:31 AM »
can we at least all agree that there's something up with dudes who present as dudes putting "he/him" in their profiles?

Potato

• Senior's Member
Spud

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2021, 05:53:24 AM »
Moar identity politics :rash
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2021, 01:27:46 AM »
I deserve more likes for "bitalian"  ::)

Tasty

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2021, 02:00:58 AM »
I deserve more likes for "bitalian"  ::)

Speaking as a rep from the gay community, it's less original than you'd think. Sorry boo. :(

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2021, 02:07:44 AM »
the bi's on tumblr failed me  :trumps

Tasty

« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2021, 02:08:20 AM »
Maybe there's just lots of queer italians in Boston :idont

SmokyDave

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2021, 05:51:46 AM »
I think people like to have big fights about little stuff, rather than having to muster an effective fight against the big stuff.

The current situation has about 4 years left in it before external forces move the conversation elsewhere.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2021, 02:15:53 PM »
things like misgendering or racial slurs are not that important. it's being murdered for being different that's the problem. it's the power structure, inequality and lack of justice. not people calling you something you don't like them calling you by.

you can call the whites a honkey or a cracker and it's no big deal. for the most part their whiteness protects them more than it hurts them.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 02:25:12 PM by team filler »

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2021, 03:13:35 PM »
can we at least all agree that there's something up with dudes who present as dudes putting "he/him" in their profiles?

I had this same question. If its 100% not ambiguous what your gender is, why do it?

Everyone knows that Mark Beefsquash with the giant beard is a he/him

The answer is that it helps normalize it for those who are ambiguous, so the fact that youre listing your gender isnt on its own a red flag.

Makes sense to me. I dont do it, but Im a shy ally
:O

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2021, 03:46:18 PM »
Everyone knows that Mark Beefsquash with the giant beard is a he/him
This is so backwards. Which is why those pronouns are totally necessary in your bio.
🤴