Author Topic: Bore Comics Thread: Crisis On Infinite Megathreads  (Read 834625 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: Bore Comics Thread: Crisis On Infinite Megathreads
« Reply #4380 on: September 02, 2017, 04:36:23 PM »
Batman Odyssey
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #4381 on: September 02, 2017, 05:07:43 PM »
Does he go to space?

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #4382 on: September 02, 2017, 05:59:53 PM »
No, it's better than that.

©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #4383 on: September 02, 2017, 06:30:31 PM »
Batman Odyssey is the basially like the Batman '66 version of Frank Miller's All-Star Batman and Robin. Two sides of the same insane coin. :lol

As for good Batman trades, the New 52 ones are all very solid. Zero Year is a little long, Endgame is a bit zany, and Superheavy is fresh if a bit pointless.

The New 52 Batman & Robin series is generally great, with occasionally brilliant moments. My favorite arc was The Big Burn, which I consider a classic.

I'd also recommend Batman Eternal and its shorter sequel, Batman & Robin Eternal. If I was in charge of a new Batman cartoon I'd heavily base it on these. The team dynamics are great and the series juggle multiple plots pretty well.

Batman: Li'l Gotham is one of my favorite series ever. It's good sugar-coated fun. Dustin Nguyen's chibi-pastel art is god-tier.

For older stuff, No Man's Land is pretty good and the tie-ins are generally good too.

If you reeeeaaaaally want to go down a rabbit hole, Batman Incorporated Vol. 1 and 2 are pretty crazy and fun, if impenetrable at parts.

Tasty

« Reply #4384 on: September 02, 2017, 09:16:06 PM »
Marvel Comics Rumored To Be In Some Serious Trouble

Surprise surprise, forcing minimum orders on retailers for normal issues to get the lenticulars/specials/etc. is backfiring hard, along with their stupid fucking plotlines and constant, tiring events.

And of course editorial is blaming the diversity push for it all. ::) Come the fuck on, Marvel. Even as a DC fan, you're better than this.

Legacy is a rush-job. They can’t afford to take the classic characters off the table like that for so long but they also don’t want to piss off the new diverse audience they’ve been trying to court. They’re trying to have their cake and eat it too, and please all masters...

They’re bringing back the Ultimate line for the teen heroes. Miles will become Ultimate Spider-Man again. Siri becomes Ultimate Iron Man. X-Men Blue becomes Ultimate X-Men. Champions becomes the Ultimates.

:thinking

Slott is off Amazing Spider-Man. They’re going to move him over to Friendly Neighborhood; the fear is he would sign exclusive with DC if they took it away from him completely. Plus he struggles with deadlines and there’s less risk with him off to the side. They can’t ignore declining sales anymore and it’s time for a refresh.

Some good news at least?

Freyj

« Reply #4385 on: September 02, 2017, 10:47:44 PM »
I haven't had any interest in Marvel since Secret Wars ended.

I'll go back and read CW2 / SE at some point, but Rebirth hooked me good with DC for my comic fix.

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #4386 on: September 03, 2017, 11:41:57 PM »
Secret Empire 9 and 10

It didn't end with another universe version of Cap, which is alright i guess. Did like that beat down at the end though, especially when he picked up the hammer to knock him the fuck out.

Kinda weird how the status quo is back and not back at the same time (why not get Las Vegas back if they were willing to let Rick Jones live again?) but its nice to at least see Sam getting props as Captain america compared to his books before this.

Should be interesting to see how Hydra Cap is dealt with since hes still there and is wholly separate form real Steve.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4387 on: September 05, 2017, 11:39:43 PM »
Marvel Comics Rumored To Be In Some Serious Trouble

Surprise surprise, forcing minimum orders on retailers for normal issues to get the lenticulars/specials/etc. is backfiring hard, along with their stupid fucking plotlines and constant, tiring events.

And of course editorial is blaming the diversity push for it all. ::) Come the fuck on, Marvel. Even as a DC fan, you're better than this.

Legacy is a rush-job. They can’t afford to take the classic characters off the table like that for so long but they also don’t want to piss off the new diverse audience they’ve been trying to court. They’re trying to have their cake and eat it too, and please all masters...

They’re bringing back the Ultimate line for the teen heroes. Miles will become Ultimate Spider-Man again. Siri becomes Ultimate Iron Man. X-Men Blue becomes Ultimate X-Men. Champions becomes the Ultimates.

:thinking

Slott is off Amazing Spider-Man. They’re going to move him over to Friendly Neighborhood; the fear is he would sign exclusive with DC if they took it away from him completely. Plus he struggles with deadlines and there’s less risk with him off to the side. They can’t ignore declining sales anymore and it’s time for a refresh.

Some good news at least?

Some interesting things there, but it's all rumor, so who knows.
ど助平

Freyj

« Reply #4388 on: September 10, 2017, 12:21:07 PM »
I'm reading back through every Crisis and holy shit is 52 good. Why have I never read this before?

Was it not very successful? The long format style of storytelling seems very different than your standard cape stuff, but I'm really enjoying it and am surprised it isn't more prevelant in the age of TWD, Saga, etc

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #4389 on: September 10, 2017, 06:12:23 PM »
I'm reading back through every Crisis and holy shit is 52 good. Why have I never read this before?

Was it not very successful? The long format style of storytelling seems very different than your standard cape stuff, but I'm really enjoying it and am surprised it isn't more prevelant in the age of TWD, Saga, etc

The followed it up with Countdown to Final Crisis, which was just a dumpster fire (although kind of a fun dumpster fire).
©@©™

Boredfrom

« Reply #4390 on: September 10, 2017, 07:08:47 PM »

52 was crazy succesful but was way better coordinated than most later attempts in biweekly stuff. The writting team was spectacular and is telling that only one that keep in good graces with DC was Johns, everyone else ended burned out by DC editorial decisions. Is known that Dan Didio hated the shit of it even when later tried to milk the shit out of 52 and weekly-biweekly experiments.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #4391 on: September 10, 2017, 11:38:59 PM »

It went in an entirely different direction than Dan DiDio and DC Editorial had originally planned, the much better lower key but dense way it did. They were expecting a huge crazy story of universe changing battles.

So DiDio did Countdown (to Final Crisis) which he called "52 done right" which was just pages and pages of alternate universes being destroyed and such a mess that Grant Morrison and Geoff Johns had to write DC Universe #0 to basically wipe it from existence before Final Crisis.

New 52 actually had a couple of these series.

There's Batman: Eternal and Batman and Robin: Eternal which are 52 and 26 issues respectively, telling one long story in each.

And then there's the slightly more complicated but more like 52 set of series:
Earth 2 -> Earth 2: World's End -> Earth 2: Society
Future's End

Earth 2's premise is a world where Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, etc. all died battling Darkseid's invasion and there are no longer any superheroes. Until the series where they start popping up again, this eventually spurs Darkseid's decision to reconquer it which leads to World's End.

Future's End is an alternate ending to World's End (that started before it) where five years from now the population of Earth 2 finds a way to bail out onto the main DC Earth and the resulting problems this causes most namely their incarceration in camps and other discrimination, along with a 25+ year future in which Brother Eye conquers the planet that Terry McGinnis goes back in time to stop.

Nothing is as good as 52 but these, especially Future's End, have more of a focus on other lower-tier DC characters and street level stuff.

52 itself actually has two follow ups that I really like. There's the Booster Gold series where he goes off after the end of 52 to jump across timelines fixing them. (Basically a semi-solo version of Marvel's Exiles.) And the Batwoman plotline was followed into Detective Comics and then Batwoman's own series. (Which got its own mid-plot shitty cancellation.) Renee gets wiped out with New 52 so her 52-based storyline essentially finishes in Rucka's Crime Bible: Five Lessons of Blood and Final Crisis: Revelations.

Working backwards, a series you might like is Gotham Central based around the cops of Gotham including Renee. The events of which are what leave her the drunk she is at the start of 52.

benjipwns

« Reply #4392 on: September 11, 2017, 12:09:31 AM »
Your local library silly. Or comic shops.

But if you were to say download a torrent entitled something like "Complete DC Crisis Chronology" or whatever so that you could get the text file for the reading order without ever downloading the rest of the files I'm sure the mods will go easy on you, the feds are a different story.

benjipwns

« Reply #4393 on: September 11, 2017, 12:32:44 AM »
Actually, I'm reminded that the original major scale long story event that was very unlike standard cape stuff and arguably an innovator (for DC) in ways nobody expected is No Man's Land. Which I do not believe has ever been truly collected in its entirety but the TPB's have most all of it now. (The original TPB's for both it and Knightfall left out over a third of the story. Death/Return of Superman had the same problem.)

Gotham gets hit by an earthquake, it's cut off from the rest of the U.S. The next year of Batman and the tie-in books told a gigantic story about the criminals taking over territory and warring among each other, Batman's return and his and the GCPD's slow reconquering of Gotham, along with the day-to-day problems of lack of resources, temporary alliances (stuff like Killer Croc being the enforcer for a medical camp, Poison Ivy agreeing to provide food in exchange for being left alone, etc.), massive damage to everything, and so on until Luthor comes to the city's "aid" just as The Joker returns which is the crescendo event.

This and not Knightfall/Death of Superman is actually what set off the Batman books into telling regular grand crossover stories (War Games/Crimes is a personal underrated favorite) across the entire family of books. That later Green Lantern, etc. all adopted. The Batman books basically never have stopped doing this for years after.

The story even tries to address things like why doesn't Superman come in and help, by having him come in and try to, only to fail because it's outside the scope of his hero knowledge. (He comes back later as Clark Kent and is much more effective with his knowledge of farming.)

It's also the genesis story of Batman's preparation power. It gets overlooked in this regard, but is stated clearly in a later crossover, maybe War Games, that after No Man's Land caught him by surprise and he was left unable to help Gotham in the early months, Batman decided he would never be caught unprepared again and that started his obsessive drive. It also serves to tie together the whole scope of the Bat-family for the first time really beyond just Alfred, Tim and Dick. (Selina, Barbara, Huntress, Azrael, expanding with Cassandra and Stephanie, etc.)

Somewhere after all this is the story "Officer Down" which involves Jim Gordon getting shot near fatally, this along with the events of No Man's Land is why Gordon is not Commissioner in Gotham Central and in most of the Bat-books for a long time thereafter.

It's also where this comes from:

benjipwns

« Reply #4394 on: September 11, 2017, 12:34:24 AM »
No Man's Land also leads to Bruce Wayne: Fugitive (which in reality, is way too long and not very good) which also leads to The OMAC Project (which is a better Crisis than Infinite Crisis) which leads to Checkmate's revival. :rejoice

Tasty

« Reply #4395 on: September 11, 2017, 02:43:19 AM »
There's Batman: Eternal and Batman and Robin: Eternal which are 52 and 26 issues respectively, telling one long story in each.

As I said in a recent post, these two are fantastic FYI.

Tasty

« Reply #4396 on: September 11, 2017, 02:44:29 AM »
So how does one read DC Comics anyway?

Torrents?

Comixology. :preach

But I'm a DC mega-fan weirdo with an aversion to physical media. So whatevs.

Talk about pirating comics, which already operate on razor-thin margins, doesn't sit well with me at all, though.

Tasty

« Reply #4397 on: September 11, 2017, 03:55:38 AM »
Hmm probably between $30 and $40 depending on the month, speaking purely about subscriptions. Sometimes I go on a spree and buy some back issues too though.

The only subs I have locked down right now are Superman, Detective Comics, and Buffy Season 11. The latter two are bi-monthly and $3 an issue, Buffy is once a month and $4 an issue. Throw in subs to Dark Knights: Metal (a temporary event thing), Batman, Nightwing, Teen Titans, and Titans to round out the subs I usually keep. Some of these are also twice a month.

samfish

• Cereal mispeller
« Reply #4398 on: September 11, 2017, 06:40:22 PM »
I spend at least $100 a month on ComiXology. One the one hand, I fucking hate it because digital should be at least $2.00 cheaper. Doubly so since Amazon went and fucked the user experience on iOS right after they bought them.
On the other hand, if I squint hard enough, I can say that paying full price for digital books is like a convenience fee of not having to contend with the space-sucking burden of physical books any longer.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4399 on: September 13, 2017, 08:40:36 AM »
Action Comics #987:

Mr. Oz revealed as...

spoiler (click to show/hide)
JOR-EL, Superman's father.
 :trigger
[close]
https://comicsheatingup.net/2017/09/13/spoilers-action-comics-987-the-identity-of-mr-oz/
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #4400 on: September 13, 2017, 09:22:53 AM »
This is almost as dumb as Morrison trying to pass off the big villain of Batman RIP as Batman's father (he wasn't.)

Rahxephon91

« Reply #4401 on: September 13, 2017, 01:08:00 PM »
The real Jean is coming back! I'm excited, but I kind of doubt they will continue the Morrison characterization of her. It would be really nice if she is slotted into the Xavier role for the X-men.

It's too bad Scott is dead though.

Tasty

« Reply #4402 on: September 13, 2017, 02:35:42 PM »
Dark Nights: Metal #2 spoilers

[close]

DUN DUN D-

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #4403 on: September 13, 2017, 02:42:07 PM »
They're not robots, this isn't a dream sequence.
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #4404 on: September 13, 2017, 04:17:41 PM »
Spoiler: It was Clayface
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #4405 on: September 14, 2017, 07:56:42 PM »
I actually liked that part of the issue. It was a fun thing to do with the Justice League and Bat Family without having them outright fight. Plus how they showed how they knew which weren't Bruce.

And Supes doing that actually had a story purpose. (And wasn't really a shock panel as they already said it wasn't him which made me initially go "who was left" and I totally forgot Basil despite loving his arc in Detective.)

To grab the heartbeat transmitter out of Clayface.
[close]

I also kinda liked the whole part where the Owls were like "we named this Batmanium (or whatever) because lol fuck you and fuck you again."

This is almost as dumb as Morrison trying to pass off the big villain of Batman RIP as Batman's father (he wasn't.)
I don't think Morrison ever tried to do that, he had setup Hurt beforehand in the earlier issues, and neither Bruce nor Alfred or the Joker believed him when he claimed to be Thomas Wayne.

What Morrison did play coy about because he wasn't sure what he was going to do with the character yet was whether or not he was literally the devil. (And Morrison later said "yeah, he was, at the time, it's about Batman defeating the devil.")

Which to tie this all together, I'm happy that Snyder didn't stop with the Owls and has gone back to pay homage to Morrison's plot-line with who the BIG BAD of Metal is since Morrison skipped past it as he was deadline smashed to bring Bruce back and do Incorporated before New 52.

also, bruce somehow just having baby darkseid :dead
[close]

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4406 on: September 14, 2017, 08:06:51 PM »
Secret Empire Omega:

OK, let's end this shitshow.

Good guy Steve visits bad guy Steve in a maximum security prison.  It's supposed to be crazy hard to break in/out, but of course he waltzes right in wearing his hoodie.  The entire comic is pretty much just the two of them having a conversation on their philosophies.

What we get from this:

-Good guy Steve rants that despite Stark spending millions to create a campaign to save Cap's name and explain that evil Steve is the one people should hate, his image is tarnished.  He goes to save a kid and the kid pulls away in fear.

-Bad guy Steve is under the impression that he did nothing wrong.  Says that the power was given to him (it was...but he planned it that way) and all the shit that led up to it, in previous crossover events, was not his fault.  That part is true.  But then good guy Steve points out that he's an evil asshole who killed Jack Flag, Rick Jones (not mentioned, but he also murdered the Red Skull), and bombed the shit out of Las Vegas, killing who knows how many people.

-Black Widow is apparently alive.  They show a funeral for her and Hawkeye breaking down, but then Bucky is out doin' thangs and sees someone get killed by a sniper shot that only Widow could do or whatever.

-The Punisher, who was working for bad guy Steve (because he adores Cap), is back on the other side and is hunting down and killing the Hydra agents still around.  They're back to looking more 'cartooney' again.  Nick Fury is watching him.

-There seems to be plans to keep bad guy Steve around.  At the end of the comic, good guy Steve escapes when an alarm goes off and guards rush in.  One of them pins bad guy Steve to the wall and whispers "hail hydra" while restraining him. 

And now they're off to push Marvel Legacy and Generations and all that. 

I'm gonna guess bad guy Steve either ends up as the new Red Skull or Captain Hydra or whatever and becomes a minor villain, like evil Ultimate Reed Richards (The Maker) did.
ど助平

Boredfrom

« Reply #4407 on: September 15, 2017, 01:49:13 PM »
Secret Empire Omega:

OK, let's end this shitshow.

Good guy Steve visits bad guy Steve in a maximum security prison.  It's supposed to be crazy hard to break in/out, but of course he waltzes right in wearing his hoodie.  The entire comic is pretty much just the two of them having a conversation on their philosophies.

What we get from this:

-Good guy Steve rants that despite Stark spending millions to create a campaign to save Cap's name and explain that evil Steve is the one people should hate, his image is tarnished.  He goes to save a kid and the kid pulls away in fear.

-Bad guy Steve is under the impression that he did nothing wrong.  Says that the power was given to him (it was...but he planned it that way) and all the shit that led up to it, in previous crossover events, was not his fault.  That part is true.  But then good guy Steve points out that he's an evil asshole who killed Jack Flag, Rick Jones (not mentioned, but he also murdered the Red Skull), and bombed the shit out of Las Vegas, killing who knows how many people.

-Black Widow is apparently alive.  They show a funeral for her and Hawkeye breaking down, but then Bucky is out doin' thangs and sees someone get killed by a sniper shot that only Widow could do or whatever.

-The Punisher, who was working for bad guy Steve (because he adores Cap), is back on the other side and is hunting down and killing the Hydra agents still around.  They're back to looking more 'cartooney' again.  Nick Fury is watching him.

-There seems to be plans to keep bad guy Steve around.  At the end of the comic, good guy Steve escapes when an alarm goes off and guards rush in.  One of them pins bad guy Steve to the wall and whispers "hail hydra" while restraining him. 

And now they're off to push Marvel Legacy and Generations and all that. 

I'm gonna guess bad guy Steve either ends up as the new Red Skull or Captain Hydra or whatever and becomes a minor villain, like evil Ultimate Reed Richards (The Maker) did.

To me it sounds that it will be wiser that they scrap both "good and bad cap" given that they are in a worst position than PostCivilWar Iron man, as it seems that at least people liked Civil War 1

Freyj

« Reply #4408 on: September 19, 2017, 06:39:16 PM »
Huge digital Marvel sale going on on Amazon, but I don't see the point really with Unlimited.

If they did a DC comixology sale tho  :whew

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4409 on: September 27, 2017, 09:11:34 PM »
Marvel Legacy #1:

I think this is just a one-shot leading into this new branding(?).   Was an OK story that I guess is Marvel's version of what DC has been doing to reset or bring back some stuff while keeping continuity.

Will spoiler the notable points in case anyone cares.  This is stuff leading into the ongoing books.

-CAVEMAN AVENGERS!  This book starts off with a young Odin teaming up with prehistoric versions of Phoenix, Black Panther, Iron Fist (I think), Starband, Agamotto, and I think one other to battle a Celestial, who according to Agamotto has something wrong.

-Ghost Rider (Robby Reyes) is starting to become more like the original Spirit Of Vengeance.  It takes him over and puts him in South Africa, where he fights a fucked up Starbrand and beats him with the Penance Stare.

-Sam Wilson is giving up being Captain America and is going to go back to being the Falcon.

-Lady Thor is going to die (we knew this already).

-SHIELD is being shut down.

-Deadpool is wanted for killing SHIELD agent Phil Coulson.

-There's a storyline running throughout this book in which Loki sends some evil frost elf-dudes to Earth to go steal something from a SHIELD secret warehouse (that everyone seems to know about, lol) and they fight Falcon, Lady Thor, and Ironheart.  One of the frost elves grabs what's in the crate and runs away.

-When he gets outside, he is run over by a semi-truck and threatens to kill the driver, who pops his claws and guts him. 

-Yup, it's Wolverine.  The original Wolverine, that is.  We see Jean Grey go to his tomb and the adamantium casing he was in is broken.  (Side note- this now makes FIVE Wolverines in the Marvel U- Logan, Old Man Logan, Laura, Daken, and Jimmy Hudson.  Six if you want to count Gabby. )

-The object in the crate is an infinite stone.  Logan picks it up.

-Tony Stark, who has been in a coma since Civil War II (an AI version of him has been doing things in his place), is suddenly gone.  This appears to be building towards a Tony Stark vs. AI Tony Stark battle.

-We see a distant galaxy with a Wakandan PLANET.  lolwut
[close]

-The narrator of this book, what Marvel was HYPING UP, is...
Valeria Richards.  Who is with Franklin in some other universe and that's it and WHAT THE FUCK WAS THE POINT OF DESTROYING UNIVERSES BEFORE SECRET WARS IF YOU'RE JUST MAKING MORE MULTI-VERSES AGAIN, MARVEL!?
[close]
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 09:24:46 PM by Dosukebe »
ど助平

Rahxephon91

« Reply #4410 on: September 27, 2017, 09:53:48 PM »
To be fair the end of Secret Wars was them saying they were going to go around making universes. So that was always going on.

I guess Starbrand is dead? If so that's lame. Character had a lot of potential in 616, but I guess it's whatever. I mean Hickman did'nt really do anything with him on a character level which is fine. Character development is not what made that run awesome, but a saw a lot of potential in a young dude who is now all powerful all of a sudden and oh killed his entire high school when he got that power.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 11:22:16 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Tasty

« Reply #4411 on: September 28, 2017, 04:18:19 PM »
I know people will probably say it's overrated, but I think Kingdom Come is up there with Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns in terms of medium-defining storytelling.

Tasty

« Reply #4412 on: September 29, 2017, 11:05:16 AM »
DC and Loeb are usually a good combo, it's Marvel and Loeb you have to look out for.

benjipwns

« Reply #4413 on: September 29, 2017, 11:21:59 PM »
Harrow County is such a hit or miss series, but I really like its hits. The whole "family" and the unraveling of why Harrow County is definitely the stronger part of the series.

I don't feel like I'm missing anything reading the collected editions. The prose stories I looked at seem more like writer wank than relevant to what's interesting to me in the series.

Apparently SyFy picked it up for a series.

East of West and Injection are killin' me, I really need to just wait and let them pile up but they're like the two best things. Should do the same to stuff like The Walking Dead for a while probably, and would Invincible but it's almost over. Saga has become so fucking boring and just like the same thing over and over. :lol

Should see if there's a decent sized series in the backlog to chew through instead. Then circle back around. Or clean up some New 52. Oh wait, Swamp Thing. Maybe go back to wherever I left that off.

I read the first issue of Loeb's Superman/Batman series. I liked it. Is the series as a whole worth reading? Andrex/Benji, please advise.
Yes, though Loeb leaves it about sixty issues before it ends.

The dueling inner monologues/approaches of Bruce and Clark are the key staple of the series more than simply their teaming-up. Though as it jumps from writer to writer especially as the series gets near the end that varies and hops around a bit. I'll assume that was part of what you were taken by as I remember the series putting that up front straight away. If so, definitely go for it.

At the very least in the first fifteen issues (and first two TPB's) you'll get to the part with Supergirl where Batman reaches peak badass.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #4414 on: October 02, 2017, 01:07:04 AM »
Why is current Marvel so bad? I havent been paying attention for the last 10 years (became a DC only reader) but over the last week have been scratching the surface and it's literally all shit. I mean I complain about DC like everyone else but their shit is minor compared to how bad the Marvel stuff I'm seeing is.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #4415 on: October 02, 2017, 04:02:50 AM »
Hickman's Avengers was great.

Young Avengers by the Wicked and Devine team was filled with youthful energy.

Hawkeye was probably the most funny hipster comics out there. The kate Bishop one has been cute.

Vision was super good.

The Waid and Simease(?) stuff has been stylish takes on characters.

Warren Ellis' run on Ghost Knight was odd.

Arron's Thor stuff is honestly hitting the right tone for that part of the universe.

X-Men Blue is decent. Where Wheadon, Carey, and Morrison's runs 10 years ago?

Ultimates is super in depth.

USAvengers is so ridiculous in how fun it is.

Yeah constant events are bad. Civil War 2 was terrible. Secret Empire while faulty at the beginning ended even worse. Secret Wars kind of worked. Better then IvX.

There's still plenty of good Marvel stuff.

Does no one read Ms Marvel?

benjipwns

« Reply #4416 on: October 02, 2017, 04:40:53 AM »
Why is current Marvel so bad? I havent been paying attention for the last 10 years (became a DC only reader) but over the last week have been scratching the surface and it's literally all shit. I mean I complain about DC like everyone else but their shit is minor compared to how bad the Marvel stuff I'm seeing is.
It's not current Marvel. I mean, in terms of the process, I won't judge either way if it's bad or not as I float mostly outside it too.

As much as me and Tasty shit on DC, there was a method to their madness, New 52 could have worked except they didn't commit to it and even worse the editorial completely bombed every book that didn't have someone who felt they could ignore editorial. So rather than clearing up the continuity they actually made it worse, wrecked a whole bunch of books before they started and then tried to patch it up backwards and do mini-reboots all over that left such a mess that DiDio finally got promoted and they let Johns reboot the universe back with him taking on the task of explaining the whole thing in a standalone while everyone else spent a couple years just writing the books. With about the only thing they did right in New 52 editorially was minimizing the number of linewide crossovers, one of which was put in place for logistical purposes.

Marvel Editorial has been such a mess for decades that they've let every writer do whatever the fuck they've wanted with a series only for them to run into an endless series of things they desperately either needed to reboot or wanted to reboot when they realized what the writer had done. (Like eliminating all but 198 Mutants, which lasted what...two months before it was now "a couple hundred" and then "a few hundred.") Without ever rebooting the entire universe and/or effectively doing so like DC has. (The One Year Later after Infinite Crisis was to untangle a bunch of writers and let them plot out before they had to actually write the books, that's how Johns managed to pull off the whole sprawling New Krypton arc at the same time he did the Green Lantern one. And Morrison did Batman.) Except that they eventually made a shit load of film money which bailed them out of many problems and started them worrying about new fans being turned off by the continuity snarls, only rather than once again pull off what they already successfully pulled off by having a totally and more straightforward separate line of books, they decided that it was great idea to instead smash all these books together endlessly and put out as many number ones as they could possibly publish in a single decade. All while keeping the same continuity. Except when they aren't until they need to rewrite it. (All while also continuously putting out efforts that quickly end focused on new readers coming from the films.) And if there could be a crossover for literally everyone ever year that would be great, and X-Men too, and if we could cross them both over, that would just be gravy.

Basically the modern Marvel Method is Cap is part of Hydra, FOREVER. Just an endless escalating series of reveals that need to get bigger and bigger scale and more and more REVEALING only to be reversed eventually. Only this started over a decade ago. Years ago. Grant Morrison is probably most to blame with what he did regarding Magneto. But earlier events like Onslaught and The Spider-Man Clone Saga were early signs of the disease. Then they used Civil War to build everything to Secret Invasion to reverse a single death while ignoring everything else and throw the entire universe into chaos for a year or more before "fixing it" because they constantly want to relaunch some new heroic age that always descends into big fights and shocking deaths. They're lugging around a canon they want to constantly upend because they seemingly hate what each person has done with it and everything stuck to it over 50 years. And they do it endlessly because...well...it sells great at least comparatively.

Marvel sells significantly better than DC. Especially in dollars. Even in the trades. Maybe especially in the trades where DC sells more like Image.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #4417 on: October 02, 2017, 06:50:39 AM »
It's hilarious how time travelling Sam is going back in time and actually being the inspiration for Captain America when Captain America is his inspiration, then Ms Marvel is busy knocking in doors and arresting folk, Spiderman is in limbo, Wolverine is back but weird, lmao fuck Marvel at least DC doesnt make me prune my forehead this much

Tasty

« Reply #4418 on: October 02, 2017, 10:31:43 AM »

It really feels like House of M was the last time they did something interesting. After One More Day and Ultimatum I stopped actively trying to become a Marvel comics fan lol.

It is funny that DC's biggest fuck up in recent memory was the New 52, but ask 10 different people how bad it was and you'll get 10 wildly different answers.

I only cared about the Batman stuff and that was still great, so New 52 isn't some curse word in my book. :yeshrug
[close]

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #4419 on: October 02, 2017, 10:33:03 AM »
doesn't marvel have a hard time holding onto artists as well? especially on their bigger titles because they have ridiculous schedules

benjipwns

« Reply #4420 on: October 02, 2017, 12:51:07 PM »
New 52 was only "bad" because they didn't do any top level planning even though they were supposedly rebooting the entire universe and they were going to line everything up. But they didn't. So you wound up with Batman and Green Lantern continuing on as if nothing had happened. And you had Morrison writing a book taking place five years in the past for Supes at the same time other writers were supposed to be writing a current book but weren't allowed to know anything Morrison was doing, even though Morrison was writing a self-contained loop of a story like he's fond of that had no real ramifications outside the first few issues.

And the Batman problem was just ignored by everyone but technically the New 52 logic meant that his entire career had happened in five years, Dick, Jason, Tim, Damian, No Mans Land, Bane crippling him, "dying" and falling through time, etc. all in just five years!

They could have easily written a fix by saying there were no powered heroes prior to Superman, so Batman, Green Arrow, maybe even someone like Black Canary slightly modified, etc. would all be okay. Earth 2 basically did an inverse of this, putting a five year gap of no powered heroes instead.

This is basically what DCFU is doing, in Suicide Squad, Waller says something like she doesn't know if Superman caused them all, both good and bad, to come out public finally but non powered people like Batman, Joker, etc. all were around and had adventures before Man of Steel. And she had started collecting the Squad not long before which for the most part aren't superpowered in the Justice League way.

And a lot of the mid-stream reboots or cancellations were terrible. Stormwatch, Batgirl, Batwoman, etc. Snyder on Batman and Johns on Justice League were the only guys who really told a story from start to finish. As soon as Johns left Aquaman and Azzarello left Wonder Woman they fell apart. Same with Simone on Batgirl and Snyder on Swamp Thing. Catwoman was a mess and the writers couldn't decide if she was supposed to be in the Bat family of books or not after Winick left, and everything in the "Dark" line went through so many writers I wonder if anyone is even credited for multiple collected TPBs outside of Animal Man and/or Lemire. They weren't even finishing stories in Justice League Dark/Constantine/Constantine The Hellblazer and the fact that the character had three seperate books is pretty good evidence of not knowing wtf they were doing. I like pretending that all those people are still trapped in the House of Mystery (or Secrets?) because Constantine never went back to it and Zatanna randomly showed up later so neither of the owners could have let them out. :lol

Really it was just a lot of starting stuff and it ending randomly and them cancelling stuff instead of concluding anything. The Superboy/Titans books spent a lot of time on setting up the Ravagers spin-off and then I dunno maybe they died or something? Literally everything involving the Daximites plot and Helspont randomly disappeared. There were those people watching Superman and Shay Veritas had some kind of secret, bupkis. And there were like two Superboys at one point. (FORESHADOWING?!?) Supes having his identity exposed and losing his powers went nowhere as a story because they had to fix everything back up for his death.

Infinity Corporation seems to be part of something larger since it's continued through Rebirth.

Trinity War was a bad crossover with terrible tie-ins, Forever Evil was ultimately pretty lame and Convergence was hilariously bad and made almost no sense. Most of the Supes family crossovers were pretty bad, He'l, Doomed, etc. The weekly series were all better than any of the crossovers probably. It would have sucked to see The Multiversity wasted but thankfully Snyder has brought it forward.

Really you're just left with Snyder's meandering Batman arc and then Johns' Justice League (and related including Forever Evil) as the pillar which culminated in a "crisis" with Darkseid War. And it's more of a disappointment than it is anything bad as there's lots of individual good stuff in those other series, Rotworld was arguably one of the better family crossovers, Grayson was fun, etc. But when they were setting everything to the same point and launching from there you needed some greater oversight to put all the pieces together in a satisfying way or else the whole point of the New 52 wasn't needed, which they ultimately decided on and so we had Rebirth to undo Flashpoint a bit and let time flow back more naturally aside from Dr. Manhattan's whole thing. And really they were never committed to New 52 anyway other than to reboot into younger versions of Supes, Wonder Woman, etc. for whatever reason even though they wouldn't touch Batman, etc.

And now the whole thing has led to yet another origin story for Diana because sure why the fuck not, let's do another one for Donna while we're at it. :lol

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #4421 on: October 02, 2017, 01:02:23 PM »
I'm just happy the Supes x Wonder Woman shit is over.

benjipwns

« Reply #4422 on: October 02, 2017, 02:19:52 PM »
i somehow missed this coming out :lol

Tasty

« Reply #4423 on: October 02, 2017, 02:27:44 PM »
I'm just happy the Supes x Wonder Woman shit is over.

Everyone is.

Post-Crisis Supes supplanting the hideous New 52 jerk version :rejoice :rejoice

Best decision DC's made in a LONG time.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #4424 on: October 02, 2017, 04:10:43 PM »

It really feels like House of M was the last time they did something interesting. After One More Day and Ultimatum I stopped actively trying to become a Marvel comics fan :yeshrug[/spoiler]
It was called Hickman's Avengers and Secret Avengers. A pretty dense and super sci-fi comic that leads into secret Fantastic Four crossover Secret Wars.

There was The Matt Fraction Hawkeye.

benjipwns

« Reply #4425 on: October 08, 2017, 05:49:51 PM »
I finally came back to Buffy after failing to keep up (Dawn was a centaur, Tasty) and am midway through season nine (Buffybot)

overall:  :neogaf

but it's also weirdly pretty much Buffy as I would expect when I stop going "oh nooo" to some of the absurdity like Twilight (not the character, the...fucking and universe)

guess i also need to dig up Angel and Faith as that's the other half of seasons 9 and 10

but just the title makes me lament that the Giles and Faith doing black ops operations never got its own spin-off

also, the covers are great but goddamn is the fucking art terrible, in the endgame arcs of the season eight i couldn't tell you who was Dawn, Faith or Kennedy, and seriously everyone was changing height between panels and at one point i totally could not tell the difference between a glassesless Giles, Riley and Andrew in a panel, if Xander wasn't missing his eye it'd probably be even worse, even Buffy doesn't look like herself half the time YET THESE ARE ALL BASED ON ACTORS, SOME REALLY FAMOUS, YOU CAN DRAW OFF OF FFS, all the new and just for the comics characters they've had no problem maintaining uniqueness/consistency for

Buffy has been a disaster in season nine until the latest arc, while Spike and Andrew have had no favors done in season nine either, i literally did not know who Andrew was until they finally mentioned it; yet all the brand new characters continue to look the same between issues and artists

also like, Angel's post-show series is some canon-limbo even though it got bought by Dark Horse, yet they're doing a slow roll of characters from that as I see "Fred" is showing up soon and i still don't know anything about Spike and why he has a spaceship, because last i knew those two were hanging out in Hell. A. (see what i did there) with the rest of the cast during the Angel series but whatever

i mostly wanted to complain about the art

benjipwns

« Reply #4426 on: October 08, 2017, 05:58:08 PM »
also Batman: White Knight looks like it could be quite good as a deconstruction of everything Gotham, first issue was fun, even had one of the talking head TV debaters complain about Social Studies Warriors who let people like the Joker go free

the Joker/Riddler War was too long, but the back to back "punchlines" made it worth it, even if it was all a ploy to kick Bruce's proposal to Selina down the road six months

i actually like some of the METAL alternate Batman issues so far, the ones that delve more into the alternate world are better than the ones where they touch on it, Barbados Batman comes along to explain the whole universe thing and they come back to our universe to fuck it up and beatup one of our heroes...i think Dawnbreaker was kinda stupid and seemed shorter, but the first two even though one was Cyborg made me more interested in how these Batmen have come about than i initially was

the way Bruce decides is the best way to steal the Speed Force from Barry in The Red Death was totally metal

benjipwns

« Reply #4427 on: October 08, 2017, 06:12:46 PM »
Also, I read the first collected part of The Damned which came out ten years ago, but was re-released colored this year, as part of the comic launching as a series which along with the mini-series Prodigal Sons I'm not having the easiest time finding so far but whatever, it'll be collected.

Apparently Showtime optioned this for a series back in 2011, with David Hayter of Solid Snake fame writing it. And Dreamworks had owned the film right since 2008.

For being only six issues, it sets up a really neat and potentially elaborate "world" in which it's the Prohibition Era, but gangs are run by Demon crime bosses, because they fled Hell for some reason. The main character, has been cursed so that he technically can't die, as long as someone touches him, then he "swaps" souls with them and returns to life. There's a third demonic family introduced who cursed him and have their own agenda beyond mere crime bossery related to this whole ditching hell thing, and their whole thing is cursing people rather than just killing them like the other crime bosses. Also, other than that group, the other demons don't particularly care about souls and other such demon related stuff anymore, it's all about the money and common crime.

The story in the TPB involves two crime families coming to an agreement to end their battles and work together for greater crime profits, and the main character Eddie, is hired to find the truce negotiator who has gone missing. Which of course is totally easy and does not in any way complicate things or involve all sorts of dark secrets and double crosses being revealed. The colored version uses pretty subdued colors except for occasional brighter ones on one demon or whatever but you wouldn't really miss anything if you only could find the original black and white version.

I kinda hope it starting up as an actual comic series and Lucifer's success revives the Showtime project even if they don't copy anything but the premise and even if Solid Snake is no longer involved. I think it could be a fun show.

benjipwns

« Reply #4428 on: October 10, 2017, 12:24:45 PM »
Buffy update for Tasty, I read through to the current wait point for the final issue of Season Eleven which I doubt is much more than a mindless fight.

The one season where they have a great premise to work with and not need shit fill-in drama issues (where people have to act out of the ordinary constantly and learn nothing ever ruining half of Season Ten) and it's the one where they sliced the issue order down to 12 and we got about five issues of consequences before we're back to normal.

Also, like Season Ten ends with the new Council and all it gets is a throwaway mention by Dawn in a listing of all the things Buffy has done, not to mention it doesn't even play a role in in any of this? RILEY IS ON THE COUNCIL TOO, AND WILLOW.

These are the kinds of plot holes that bare their ass and shove it into your face when you blitz through what's actually ten years of story in a week.

Did not see the revoking of the other Slayers coming though, I have to imagine that's the sequel hook for Season Twelve.

Plus...part of me thinks they're going to do something revoking the world at large knowing about the supernatural.
There's not going to be a Season Twelve is there. :doge
[close]
[close]

Tasty

« Reply #4429 on: October 10, 2017, 12:43:04 PM »
There's too much there to unpack, lol. But yeah I don't think we're getting S12. :(

I think 9 and 10 were fine... 8 was fine for what it was, but it didn't feel like Buffy to me and the big bad was... eh.

11's been the most consistent, probably because of the cut down issue count.

Haven't messed with the Angel and Faith stuff, but heard it's really good.

Tasty

« Reply #4430 on: October 10, 2017, 12:45:22 PM »
Also I don't think Buffy's revoking is gonna last, it was a necessary powerup and I think it'd be preeeetty dumb to undo 7's big finale twist.

benjipwns

« Reply #4431 on: October 10, 2017, 12:46:27 PM »
Oh, forgot the part that made me angry considering all the stupid ass relationship angst that dominated the prior two seasons to the determent of real plot.

Buffy nearly killing that human dude in the park, and they throw it away with some jokes.

I assume it's the unstated reason she can't kill the suffering soldier later (though why Faith also can't bring herself to is beyond me) but if anytime would have been good for an issue or two of legitimate drama dealing with the consequences of events up to that point it would have been right there, instead by what seemed like the next issue they're breaking into secret military bases and restoring the status quo. :doge

Also, Willow restoring Buffy's full powers should not depower Faith as they said, Buffy split her powers to awaken and give to all the rest of the potential slayers. Faith already had them and kept them even when Buffy came back from the dead. Twice. Buffy may have boosted Faith relatively to herself but it shouldn't have done anything to Faith.

In fact, in every single appearance (including Angel) up to and including Season Seven, Faith remained Buffy's near equal in terms of powers. I suppose there may be a slight de-powering of Faith when Buffy came back to life, but that was all the way back in the First Season before Faith was even called, she wasn't until Kendra was killed. The distinction that gave Buffy the upper hand was always Faith's lack of not only a trainer like Giles but the others around Buffy. When Faith came back in Season Seven and "failed" it was because she didn't have the qualities to be a leader, she was still their best fighter and I want to say even at that point they indicated both have to die for a true next Slayer to be called.

btw Tasty do you want to revisit your comment about Buffy and Nintendo being the two topics you "know" you can challenge me on :-*
[close]
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #4432 on: October 10, 2017, 12:51:15 PM »
Also I don't think Buffy's revoking is gonna last, it was a necessary powerup and I think it'd be preeeetty dumb to undo 7's big finale twist.
I think it'll last at least for a period in any potential future season. The last couple seasons have shown that most of them are just useless cannon fodder, the one they bothered with this season was just another one for Buffy to beat up.

Plus, I just remembered, they had rewritten in the book last season how Slayers can come to be. :lol

Haven't messed with the Angel and Faith stuff, but heard it's really good.
Angel must be better written in that because he's been boring garbage every time he's shown up in Buffy.

I saw that Illyria/Fred survived and continued into that which increased my interest regarding it.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 12:55:43 PM by benjipwns »

Tasty

« Reply #4433 on: October 10, 2017, 12:55:50 PM »
btw Tasty do you want to revisit your comment about Buffy and Nintendo being the two topics you "know" you can challenge me on :-*

Considering I've been keeping up with the comics this entire time, no. I stand by my statement.

Also, lol, I'm at work so I can't really deep dive into all this shit. It's like asking someone to debate you in the politics thread. Brevity is the soul of wit, benji boy. Someday you'll learn that. ;)

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #4434 on: October 10, 2017, 01:14:15 PM »
Ordered Batman White Knight #1 yesterday, should be here next week by post :hyper

benjipwns

« Reply #4435 on: October 10, 2017, 01:26:27 PM »
Considering I've been keeping up with the comics this entire time, no. I stand by my statement.

Also, lol, I'm at work so I can't really deep dive into all this shit. It's like asking someone to debate you in the politics thread. Brevity is the soul of wit, benji boy. Someday you'll learn that. ;)
No one was asking or inquiring of you to do anything. Overly defensive much. :hitler

You're the one who made the original cowardly claim hoping I'd forget your vile attacks that a good person wouldn't do.

I watched Buffy/Angel when it aired and ended, for good, in an alley. Joss's stamp can't elevate this fan fiction canon another tier. Especially considering what he wrote for it, The Avengers films, and the fact that he never truly was in charge of the superior Angel. :bolo

I played the best Metroid, Zelda and Mario games as they came out. :bolo

I was there when Bruce's back was broken and everyone freaked out about Jean Paul Valley doing what Bruce had done in the past. :bolo

When I played the masterpiece, Yoshi's Island, my Super Nintendo was GREY. :bolo
[close]

Tasty

« Reply #4436 on: October 10, 2017, 01:32:37 PM »
Ok so you're old, so what

benjipwns

« Reply #4437 on: October 10, 2017, 01:45:56 PM »
WE PREFER AGE-ENHANCED KIDDO

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #4438 on: October 10, 2017, 05:46:50 PM »
This Dark Knights Metal stuff is kinda interesting seeing that its basically Bruce taking over the other JL roles and massively fucking up each one  :lol

Although with that said i want to read about Joker-Batman since he looks like a riot.

As for the marvel stuff, it can be interesting at times but i'm tired of all these constant events that leads to most of the super heroes being shit heads to each other.

I have heard the Hickman's Fantastic 4, Avengers and New Avengers are pretty good along with Matt Fraction's Hawkeye and Ironman

Tasty

« Reply #4439 on: October 14, 2017, 04:01:10 PM »

Holy fuck this video was great. Always loved those old cartoons but couldn't put a finger on why.