Author Topic: Red Dead Redemption screens, and trailer!  (Read 181089 times)

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
Re: Red Dead Redemption screens, and trailer!
« Reply #960 on: May 31, 2010, 10:55:58 PM »
i think you'll like it
sup

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #961 on: May 31, 2010, 10:56:46 PM »
yes.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
he grows on you. sure he'll never be as cool as John but whatevs. I roll around with the all black horse and the elegant suit. looks good for Jack.
[close]
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 10:59:26 PM by fistfulofmetal »
nat

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #962 on: May 31, 2010, 10:57:15 PM »
i camped the cabin on the jaguar, broke out the windows and took him out siege-style

there must have been two dozen cougar carcasses piled in front of that door by the time i was finished
sup

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #963 on: May 31, 2010, 11:01:44 PM »
yes.

he grows on you. sure he'll never be as cool as John but whatevs. I roll around with the all black horse and the elegant suit. looks good for Jack.
[close]

i play him as a billy the kid style psycho since he looks like one in the face

i have played the ending about 4 times now, and i have never shown mercy to edgar ross's wife or brother

close kills for both, no witnesses
[close]
sup

Jansen

« Reply #964 on: June 01, 2010, 04:24:20 AM »
beat it today.

aside from a few lame missions towards the end it was a great ride.

this one of the rare few games that has me achievement hunting but that is mostly because i enjoy the setting so much.

camping out in tall trees waiting for grizzlies whilst a t-storm is going on is awesome.

oh and after 20hrs of MP i must say that it is in desperate need of more content for freeroam. doing the same hideouts over and over again gets old fast.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #965 on: June 01, 2010, 10:34:37 AM »
I just got to Mexico last night! :rock
©ZH

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #966 on: June 01, 2010, 12:17:55 PM »
¡Yo tengo uno sombrero por el avatar!

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #967 on: June 01, 2010, 12:20:43 PM »
 :'(

Still waiting for my gamefly copy to come in.

drew

• sy
« Reply #968 on: June 01, 2010, 12:31:08 PM »
lol

fyl

Robo

« Reply #969 on: June 01, 2010, 12:31:24 PM »
I'm probably gonna pick this up in the next couple days ifin any ya'll pardners still lookin' to posse up.  (too much? :spin NOPE)
obo

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #970 on: June 01, 2010, 12:40:16 PM »
giddyup
sup

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #971 on: June 01, 2010, 01:07:25 PM »
i let my online temper get the best of me and pulled a william munny on a dude in my posse last night

first he pulled me off my horse and took off, so i killed the horse and shotgunned him in the face while he was lying in the dirt

then when we were clearing out the gang at gaptooth ridge he rode too close to the dynamite charge i had set, i tried to warn him but he didn't have a headset and so he became cowboy mist

i guess he thought i did it on purpose, so he shot me - i let it ride since he was a level 1 newcomer

he did it again, and i tried to let him know that it was over, we were both on the same team,  and we should concentrate on the gang hideout mission

then he did it a third time, so i made him my project for the evening

i ran his ass down all over the map, killing him every way i could until he left the free roam, at one point i chased him down on horseback while he was on foot and shot him in the back on a cliff edge, watching his worthless hide tumble to the bottom

this is why no one plays anything but free roam
sup

Stoney Mason

« Reply #972 on: June 01, 2010, 01:10:36 PM »
i let my online temper get the best of me and pulled a william munny on a dude in my posse last night

first he pulled me off my horse and took off, so i killed the horse and shotgunned him in the face while he was lying in the dirt

then when we were clearing out the gang at gaptooth ridge he rode too close to the dynamite charge i had set, i tried to warn him but he didn't have a headset and so he became cowboy mist

i guess he thought i did it on purpose, so he shot me - i let it ride since he was a level 1 newcomer

he did it again, and i tried to let him know that it was over, we were both on the same team,  and we should concentrate on the gang hideout mission

i ran his ass down all over the map, killing him every way i could until he left the free roam, at one point i chased him down on horseback while he was on foot and shot him in the back on a cliff edge, watching his worthless hide tumble to the bottom

It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #973 on: June 01, 2010, 01:17:42 PM »
We all got it coming
sup

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #974 on: June 01, 2010, 02:05:47 PM »

:rofl
©ZH

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #975 on: June 01, 2010, 06:42:36 PM »
finished the story last night.

END GAEM SPOILERZ DO NOT CLICK UNLESS YOU HAVE FINISHED GAME

I thought the ending and the missions leading up to it were excellent. A very classic western ending, John was trying his best to change, to become a good father, did what the govt. told him to and everything. Still, they came gunning for him in the end anyway. Fantastic stuff.

I thought the grave cutscene was a triumph, with Johns grave fading into weatheredness, and Abby's grave fresh next to his, 3 years later on. It would be good if we found out how she died, but the mystery is good too.

The epilogue mission was the perfect icing on the cake IMO, kind of showing how the life of crime is a cyclic thing you know, Jack killing Ross out of blind vengeance, becoming an outlaw himself. LOVED IT.

Wouldve been good if there were more Jack missions, but I like him and Im looking forward to 100%ing the game with him. At about 90% complete now. This is sure as shit GOTY. 10/10, better than Mass Effect 2.
[close]

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #976 on: June 01, 2010, 06:47:37 PM »
Nowhere as good as Mass Effect 2.
PSP

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #977 on: June 01, 2010, 07:15:37 PM »
so far it's a pretty close race between Bad Company 2, RDR, and ME2.
nat

drew

• sy
« Reply #978 on: June 01, 2010, 07:54:25 PM »
Nowhere as good as Mass Effect 2.

flamer

so far it's a pretty close race between Bad Company 2, RDR, and ME2.

s

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #979 on: June 01, 2010, 09:08:43 PM »
easter egg:

go inside the barn at beecher's hope and look up at the roof by the hay bales

i found that sadder than the in-game ending  :(

also, all jack's writing materials are still on his desk, and it looks like he kept writing
[close]
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 11:23:09 AM by Eel O'Brian »
sup

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #980 on: June 01, 2010, 09:11:39 PM »
can you tell us what it is so I dont have to boot up the game
USA

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #981 on: June 01, 2010, 09:16:51 PM »
there's a phrase written there reading "Oh My Son My Blessed Son"

it's a cheat code, but still :(
[close]
sup

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #982 on: June 01, 2010, 09:17:50 PM »
spoiler didn't work :(
USA

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #983 on: June 01, 2010, 09:22:27 PM »
works fine for me, refresh the page
sup

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #984 on: June 01, 2010, 10:12:08 PM »
Nothing is as good as Mass Effect 2. The only thing that could possibly usurp it this gen is Episode 3. Other than that, Mass Effect 2 is GOTG. Om nom nom nom.
SRY

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #985 on: June 01, 2010, 10:56:01 PM »
Mass Effect 2 is totally frickin awesome, but I think I enjoyed RDR more... I dunno. I'll do a proper post-mortem evaluation later this year, as I plan on replaying ME2 on Insanity, as well as picking up all the ME2 DLC I missed and checking that out. Still missing a couple of cheevs.

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #986 on: June 01, 2010, 11:08:13 PM »
They need to make Mass Effect 2: Awakenings to lead into ME3...preferably by the end of this year.
PS4

cool breeze

« Reply #987 on: June 01, 2010, 11:14:04 PM »
They need to make Mass Effect 2: Awakenings to lead into ME3...preferably by the end of this year.

pretty sure they already announced that future ME2 DLC will branch the two games.  Don't know if it was a rumor or not.

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #988 on: June 01, 2010, 11:33:53 PM »
Yeah, I just want said DLC to actually be substantial.  Kasumi's Stolen Memory was barely an hour worth of content.  I want at least five or six hours of story/gameplay.
PS4

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #989 on: June 01, 2010, 11:45:45 PM »
you got that right, Bioware really need to man up and shit out some meaty DLC, no more of this little weiner Tonka Toys bullshit

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #990 on: June 02, 2010, 12:08:35 AM »
Fun game. Meant to play a round of Texas Hold 'Em and turn it off, but went for two rounds instead, then noticed it had become a sunny morning in the game, so decided maybe to try and bust a bronco to see why one o' you peeps was whining about the "balance game." On my way to the last-known spot where wild horses ran, there was a man being held up by robbers just outside the ranch! Dropped all three of them, felt good.

Broke a horse, wondered if I could sell it anywhere in town. Went into the general store without hitching it, went in to see if it showed up as a SELL item, no luck -- but while I'm in the menu, I hear gunshots. WTF, stuff is going on in town while I shop? I go outside, there's a wild gang running rough all over the locals.

...I can go on and on, but in short, STUFF HAPPENED. Over and over, stuff happened, unrelated to the story, unrelated to me activating stuff. The world feels alive and rich in a way that GTA IV did not. The world keeps moving and Marston moves through it, saving or damning as he sees fit; choosing how to interact affects how people will deal with him. I killed a man in a barroom fight, fled the scene, and when I came back to town I was greeted with "How's it going, killer?" After cleaning up bandits, my good deeds mean I pay less and earn more in town.

This game: big love. I will be buying anything they sell.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #991 on: June 02, 2010, 12:53:54 AM »
told you you'd dig it bro, lets Free Roam it up this weekend

drew

• sy
« Reply #992 on: June 02, 2010, 02:54:20 AM »
uh, am i missing something or is there a way to tell what time it is in game (besides the sun of course)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #993 on: June 02, 2010, 03:43:43 AM »
told you you'd dig it bro, lets Free Roam it up this weekend
HELLS YES. I was grinning maniacally at the earlier description of griefing the jackass in Free Roam, watching his body tumble to the bottom of a cliff, laying into him until he chose to bail from the mode. I want in on some of that.

I also want my damned lasso in the single-player game. :maf So far I had to hold a woman at gunpoint to get her to visit her husband, and was unable to collect my first WANTED Bounty alive.

uh, am i missing something or is there a way to tell what time it is in game (besides the sun of course)
There is a pocketwatch with the day of the week shown on it, whenever you pull up the pause menu.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #994 on: June 02, 2010, 12:26:45 PM »
 :o

Fucking Finally RDR says its shipping to me from Gamefly. I should have it in a day or two.

Robo

« Reply #995 on: June 03, 2010, 12:44:12 PM »
Picked this up yesterday and ran around for a few hours.  The "GTA in the west" feel of the game is a good fit, surprisingly. 

I should be playing this evening if any of you rustic turd burglars want to posse up, although I still have no idea what this entails, exactly.  (xbl: jim robobo)
obo

Robo

« Reply #996 on: June 03, 2010, 01:00:29 PM »
Some of the mini-games are kind of irritating.  Horseshoes is fucking infuriating and hopefully, aside from that one outfit requirment, you're never required to play that shit ever again.  And I don't quite understanding the dueling minigame, but I was too drunk to read the tutorial.  Doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense.  Five-finger Simon is crap; typical Rockstar mini-game filler.  I'm expecting that I'll get a chance to take my boyfriend out for a date and impress him with my memory and hand dexterity.

The horse breaking balancing thing isn't too bad.  You're basically just tapping the stick in the opposite direction in which the camera is turning.  Trying to watch the animation only seems to make it more difficult than it really is.  Texas Hold 'Em is actually really fun and well done, although I was disappointed to find, upon losing, that blasting the table winner doesn't quite reap the reward you'd expect.
obo

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #997 on: June 03, 2010, 01:25:18 PM »
[youtube=560,345]kYdCvN-ukRY[/youtube]
nat

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #998 on: June 03, 2010, 01:28:38 PM »
Picked this up yesterday and ran around for a few hours.  The "GTA in the west" feel of the game is a good fit, surprisingly. 

I should be playing this evening if any of you rustic turd burglars want to posse up, although I still have no idea what this entails, exactly.  (xbl: jim robobo)

i'll play some gang hideouts with you and help you level up so you can have a better selection of stuff

you start off with crap character choices, dinky weapons, and a lame donkey to ride, you'll get brutalized if you're by yourself at level one in free roam

anyone else wants to hop on, you're more than welcome
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 01:30:23 PM by Eel O'Brian »
sup

Robo

« Reply #999 on: June 03, 2010, 02:10:12 PM »
 :bow
obo

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #1000 on: June 03, 2010, 04:10:57 PM »
my favorite two pieces off the soundtrack:

(i love the way this first one builds, makes you feel like a real badass when you're playing)

[youtube=560,345]12ZKG1agHw0[/youtube]

[youtube=560,345]MHRecSSfO2Q[/youtube]
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 04:15:36 PM by Eel O'Brian »
sup

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #1001 on: June 03, 2010, 04:13:03 PM »
also, i gotta work a little late tonight, so i probably won't be on until 9 pm EST, robo
sup

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #1002 on: June 03, 2010, 04:14:11 PM »
I might posse up tonight too
AMC

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #1003 on: June 03, 2010, 04:16:25 PM »
we can bust out some quick challenges and such if you guys want, i'm pretty much up for anything
sup

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #1004 on: June 03, 2010, 04:18:15 PM »
I don't care at all either
AMC

Robo

« Reply #1005 on: June 03, 2010, 04:26:05 PM »
I have no idea what's going on, so whatever is fine by me.
obo

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #1006 on: June 03, 2010, 04:47:49 PM »
This isn't a fully fleshed out idea, but I was thinking about a game mode where, at the start of each "round," one person in your posse is made a target and teleported somewhere across the map. They're given unlimited Deadeye, all weapons are available to them (with their power boosted by quite a bit), and they only appear on the map in one-minute intervals. Your posse's job is to track him/her down (can't use the transport) and get that reward. Call it "Superposse" or "Ends of the Earth" or something, maybe make it a play mode only available to private matches to keep other folks from horning in.

And, although I don't know how they could implement this, it'd be kind of cool if you could challenge your posse leader to a duel for leadership of the posse (maybe with a five-minute "cooldown" between challenges).
sup

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1007 on: June 03, 2010, 05:11:26 PM »
Got home a little early and have been playing this for a bit as it came in today. So far I'm loving it although it has to be kept in context that I'm pretty much a Rockstar fanboy when it comes to their open world games. They are the only ones I really seem to like and find myself finishing to completion.

Pretty game in many aspects for an open world game. And the draw distance is really impressive.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #1008 on: June 03, 2010, 07:36:41 PM »
woohoo, finished up at work earlier than i thought, be on in about 45 mins, will send friend requests, saddle up
sup

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1009 on: June 03, 2010, 08:13:22 PM »
Getting really close to 100%ing this.

Only 2 stranger missions to go, Im up to Level 9 Hunter, Level 8 Survivialist, Level 8 Sharpshooter. Then I just need to complete a couple of outfits, and grind out the bounties. Should only take a couple of hours to finish it all off.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #1010 on: June 03, 2010, 10:25:38 PM »
Sweet co-op mission pack DLC dated for June 22nd. Works perfectly for me. Finish up this semester, pay through a bit of my backlog, buy the game ~19th play through it then jump into some co-op games with buds. Ace.
◕‿◕

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1011 on: June 03, 2010, 10:32:01 PM »
sweet, finally a date! Ive got plenty of time to nail all the initial achievements before this pack gets released, which is adding new cheevs I believe. Only cheev I wont have before this comes out is Level 50 in multiplayer, but that shits gonna be a slow burner, and I hear that these co-op missions hook you up with XP also!

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1012 on: June 03, 2010, 11:03:16 PM »
This game is honestly sort of blowing me away and it took me awhile to exactly realize why.

It's not that the mechanics are perfect because they aren't. It's not that its because its radically different even as an experience from GTA 4 from a gameplay perspective because it really isn't. Although clearly its an evolution of a lot of the mechanics and concepts from that game. It's not even because I find the characters or lead characters necessarily more engaging because I actually don't. I've always liked the characters in every GTA game including 4.

It's that this is the first good Western game I realize I've ever played and that freshness is able to cover for a lot of flaws. There is something just immensely freaking cool about being and existing in this world because as far as videogames I never have. Call of Juarez is really just a run of the mill shooter with a western motiff. It doesn't really feel like a Western. Gun was sort of this silly caricature and very videogamey version of the West that wasn't very believable and was mostly just boring and empty. This truly feels like a Western though and like I'm actually in the west. The graphics and scope and music, and characters, and everything just feels right.

Because it feels so fresh its so enjoyable. Its like the first time I played GTA 1 back on the playstation because it feels so new because of the setting.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #1013 on: June 03, 2010, 11:39:56 PM »
That was fun stuff tonight, except for the glitcher and started the fight with that other posse and them hunting us down.
AMC

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #1014 on: June 03, 2010, 11:46:23 PM »
that willco is such a scamp!

i get really reckless on those gang hideouts when other people are with me, although it is a lot of fun to ride your horse full-bore into the middle of a shootout and deadeye a bunch of bandits before getting laid out yourself
sup

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #1015 on: June 04, 2010, 09:15:13 AM »
I wasn't ignoring you last night in RDR, Eel.  I didn't even know you were in the game until near the end Spooka told me in private chat that you and some other EBers were in there.

We'll have to get some EB games together sometime this weekend.
Tacos

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1016 on: June 04, 2010, 12:21:59 PM »
Hopefully I can jump in to OPP (Other People's Posse). I've not done any MP yet, because I'm enjoying the single player game so much. But I bet riding in a group is pretty cool.

Had my first series of glitches all during one session tonight. Started off with carriages being half-embedded in the road, and a random "stolen carriage" encounter that also had that problem. When I bumped into it trying to lasso the thief, the whole kit and kaboodle shot straight up into the air about 50 feet. It came down on its side, was not recoverable.

Captured a bounty, was riding back, my horse died under me, dropping me and the bounty to the ground, sliding, when everything dropped to about 5 frames per second. Pretty weird; it cleared up as soon as I killed the most recent gang reinforcements.

Nearing my horse's head, Marston got hung up on it and started rotating around it in some full-body Jacob's Ladder-esque seizure.

...And this isn't a bug, but I think my horse has a sense of humor: Every time I load up a hogtied guy onto its haunches, I tap Y again to get on the horse, but as soon as Marston moves, the horse steps forward a couple steps, canceling the mount. My horse is messing with me. :lol

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #1017 on: June 04, 2010, 12:25:46 PM »
I didn't think that at all HSMP, I saw your name and just realized that we're friends on PSN but had never added each other on XBL.

Yeah, we need to take the Presidio.  That place is nearly impenetrable if you have a large enough posse.  RoboJ, Cajole, Willco and I got our asses handed to us (deservedly so, I might add) when we started fucking with a posse holed up in there.  At one point we decided to retreat but they were killing us over and over again and it took us close to ten minutes just to get away from them :lol
sup

Robo

« Reply #1018 on: June 04, 2010, 01:02:11 PM »
I think that might've gone better if we all had dynamite.  I thought we managed to get a decent number of kills on those guys, but there just wasn't any way of getting the dudes camping the towers.

We should probably utilize fast travelling a little more next time.  I feel like we spent most of time riding from one place to another.  Okay, we spent most of the time murdering each others horses, but riding was definitely second.
obo

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #1019 on: June 04, 2010, 02:31:10 PM »
I'm sorry I quit, a female called and she took precedent over the throwing knife horse feud RoboJ and I were engaged in.
PSP