Author Topic: Red Dead Redemption screens, and trailer!  (Read 181105 times)

drew

• sy
Re: Red Dead Redemption screens, and trailer!
« Reply #1440 on: July 30, 2010, 02:02:14 PM »
im at the end of the poppycock stranger mission, is it worth it to fork over the money or should i just keep it?

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #1441 on: July 31, 2010, 03:25:59 AM »
Give him the money to complete the mission, then kill him and steal it from his corpse.
PS4

Ninja

« Reply #1442 on: July 31, 2010, 09:07:15 AM »
I finished it this morning. Fantastic game, the location, gameplay and dialogue annihilate GTA4. SOme of it dragged a little but overall it was excellent.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
The ending was sad as hell.
[close]
wat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1443 on: July 31, 2010, 12:49:14 PM »
Finished this day before yesterday, 100%'d it last night. "REDEEMED"

As if that weren't enough because, really, there is no "enough" where this game is concerned, I played a heap of multi with Scenester today, and solo'd some more tonight. Some people are really good at abusing the lock-on aiming and then easing off and up for the headshot, really, really quickly. I am not very good at that.

I'm pretty good at the gold rush games. I maxed out the bag-related Challenges for them today. I was going to change my in-game title to "Sack Toucher," but that's the same as Sceneman. So I'm using "Proctologist" instead. :lol

It's stunning that the multi is so good in this; usually I think that making something fun in multi is going to be entirely different than making it fun in singleplayer. Somehow they've kept the balance.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1444 on: August 02, 2010, 01:37:27 AM »
Has anyone here managed to use Dead Eye in multiplayer, or is it as nigh-useless as GTA IV's cover mechanic is in its version of multi?

I've not played GTA IV multi in a dog's age, but does it support a similar radar implementation to GTA IV, where it only shows people who are firing or running?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1445 on: August 03, 2010, 10:13:38 AM »
OK, three posts in a row is my limit.

but srsly, what the shit, I'm encountering some serious killage online, lots of what appear to be one-shots. Are people cheating, or are they using Dead Eye, or am I missing some third alternative?

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1446 on: August 03, 2010, 05:37:40 PM »
Okay, I've put in 15 hours of PvP in the past couple of days so I can answer your questions.

Dead Eye in MP is crap, its only useful from a long a distince with a repeater to make sure a few bullets hit the target. For close range headshots, yeah its waaaaaaaaay to slow. If youre getting one shotted in MP, it means theyre a good shot. I one shot with repeaters all the friggn time now, I won like 10 free for all's yesterday (some with 14+ players). Got a few gold guns too. IM NOT STOPPING UNTIL I GET THEM ALL. GOLDEN BUFFALO RIFLE BAYBEE

Basically you just have to practise snapping into lock-on then moving up quickly for the headshot. Im one-shotting n00bs all the time. No one is cheating.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 10:02:59 PM by The Sceneman »

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
sup

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #1448 on: August 04, 2010, 11:55:37 AM »
Yeah there is always that distinction in open world mission games because you need enough content to fill up the game, you need a diverse mission structure, you need to tell a story, and you want to try to generally make the player character not a complete asshole if possible.

Honestly I think RDR handles it better than most. Martson has a bad past and is a reformed guy. Now you could argue whether a reformed guy would be that nice but it generally worked in the context of that game world for me.

cool breeze

« Reply #1449 on: August 04, 2010, 12:14:37 PM »
That's why I prefer what Mafia (and I hope Mafia 2) does.  You go from story mission to story mission, only occasionally having the option to help out a mechanic friend who'll teach you to steal better cars, and when the game is finished you unlock an open world mode that is is more like the GTA games.  Technically The Getaway is similar but boo that game.

The best comic to represent that is still:

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1450 on: August 04, 2010, 12:40:47 PM »
Honestly I thought the structure for RDR was pretty much the perfect setup for the style of open world game I like. I like a directed experience but with random little shit happening or extra available stuff like the outfit stuff so you feel like you have some freedom to dick around but the core main narrative mission structure is always available and close at hand.

I generally don't like the overly open structure of things like Crackdown or Just Cause.

It's been awhile since I played Mafia so I'm struggling to remember that but I sort of remember it as you described it.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1451 on: August 05, 2010, 12:14:33 AM »
That's why I prefer what Mafia (and I hope Mafia 2) does.  You go from story mission to story mission, only occasionally having the option to help out a mechanic friend who'll teach you to steal better cars, and when the game is finished you unlock an open world mode that is is more like the GTA games.  Technically The Getaway is similar but boo that game.

The best comic to represent that is still:
(Image removed from quote.)

It would be so sweet if you could play Lucky Hit in RDR.

God help me, I am hooked on RDR deathmatches and bag games. Ive gotten obsessed with getting every golden gun,and Im well on my way. Have about 5 guns gold so far.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1452 on: August 05, 2010, 12:16:17 AM »
People are going to crap their pants in free roam, when they see me riding my bull and toting my solid gold Buffalo Rifle. Then I'll pass into Legend and lose that stuff  :(

drew

• sy
« Reply #1453 on: August 05, 2010, 12:25:56 AM »
Then, why do it?

You cheevfags are all masochists

You'd take a cock up the ass if Microsoft found a way to integrate achievements with reality

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1454 on: August 05, 2010, 12:37:21 AM »
theres no achievement for passing into Legend, or for getting golden guns. Its great fun and I want to do it.

Passing into Legend resets all challenges but any gold guns you got stay golden. So If I pick up a Buffalo Rifle in a match It'll be gold If I complete all the weapon challenges before rolling my level over. Im just really keen to get the Albino Buffalo eventually  :P
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 12:58:08 AM by The Sceneman »

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1455 on: August 05, 2010, 03:30:09 PM »
lol, there is a cheev now!

New cheevs:

Call it a Comeback! - Come back from a 2-0 deficit and win a Hold Your Own game.

Who needs Deadeye? - Kill 3 or more players in a standoff or showdown.

Stick and Move - Get 3 kills with knives or throwing knves in a single competitive match.

Double bagger - Double capture 3 times in a single Gold Rush map.

Headhunter - Kill 5 players via headshot in a single Shootout or Gang Shootout.

Legendary - Reach level 50 and pass into Legend.

Hail Mary - Get a kill greater than 35 yards with a Tomahawk.

Axe Master - Complete all Tomahawk challenges in Single Player.

Original Gunslinger - Get 25 Deadeye kills with Red.

Reeeeal Good - Get 25 Dynamite kills with Pig Josh.

most of these are good, the Hold Your Own one is the only BS cheev there but its easily boosted

drew

• sy
« Reply #1456 on: August 05, 2010, 03:39:57 PM »
 :lol

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1457 on: August 05, 2010, 04:36:36 PM »
yeah, that timing was pretty uncanny :lol

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1458 on: August 05, 2010, 09:40:33 PM »
I hope they open up a character title for 100 tomahawk headshots: "Golden Axe." I loved that game.

If I ever hit 50 again, there is NO WAY I'm passing into legend and losing the shit again. It has not been a blast doing all the Challenges over again. I was 90% done with the final Survivalist II challenge when I hit 50 last time.

...Though I wouldn't mind being a granny  running around on a zebra donkey.
Okay, I've put in 15 hours of PvP in the past couple of days so I can answer your questions.

Dead Eye in MP is crap, its only useful from a long a distince with a repeater to make sure a few bullets hit the target. For close range headshots, yeah its waaaaaaaaay to slow. If youre getting one shotted in MP, it means theyre a good shot. I one shot with repeaters all the friggn time now, I won like 10 free for all's yesterday (some with 14+ players). Got a few gold guns too. IM NOT STOPPING UNTIL I GET THEM ALL. GOLDEN BUFFALO RIFLE BAYBEE

Basically you just have to practise snapping into lock-on then moving up quickly for the headshot. Im one-shotting n00bs all the time. No one is cheating.
Yeah, after watching some YouToobz of people playing MP, I have realized that the times I am doing sniping, I'm doing it wrong. I don't snipe much, but sometimes I am afforded a long shot; in those cases I should be using Dead Eye.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1459 on: August 05, 2010, 09:50:07 PM »
[youtube=560,345]#![/youtube]

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1460 on: August 06, 2010, 11:23:56 AM »
I'd ride the ass if it wasn't just so apocalyptically slow. It's really useless. I wouldn't mind a posse-up with a whole group of donkey riders on a full server though.

I'm in the USA, enjoying life, but I seriously am jonesing for some RDR multiplayer. So much so that I bought a triple-pack of Eastwood spaghetti westerns and watched Fistful of Dollars for the first time in maybe 15 years. It was great. Made me want to play even more though.  :hyper

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1461 on: August 06, 2010, 11:37:09 AM »
well, youre not missing anything. the latest title update has made multiplayer a total clusterfuck again. Took 5 tries to get into free rom, then I had no ammo for any weapon, and night was turning into day within 10 seconds. Couldve made a cool youtube video but i was flipping. Honestly R* need to sort out their updates. Every one is fucked.

drew

• sy
« Reply #1462 on: August 06, 2010, 11:41:54 AM »
yeah dude i did the same thing, put a bunch of cowboy movies up on my netflix queue to get me hyped (it works)

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1463 on: August 06, 2010, 03:32:25 PM »
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1464 on: August 10, 2010, 05:11:48 PM »
DLC is OUT.

Apparently the Tomahawk is really fun as per reports on other forums. I just got to work so I'll be waiting all day to jump on  :(

I had 1100/1100, but this new DLC has added another 100 points so I cant wait to get busy with these new achievements :punch

I'll get 'em all fairly quick, but Im not passing into Legend until I have all golden guns and Chronovore will be helping me with the BS "Hold you own" one
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 05:14:11 PM by The Sceneman »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1465 on: August 11, 2010, 03:00:13 AM »
Can we do it in a Private gang match? Is there such a thing?

Maybe you can help me with the "kill an enemy in midair" 'cheev. I will hit you with a tomahawk in the balls.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #1466 on: August 11, 2010, 06:42:44 AM »
people on the rockstar blog are raging because anyone who doesn't own the dlc can't see the new  characters in free roam (they just see a random character), and everyone can just pick up and use  the tomahawk after killing someone carrying it
sup

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1467 on: August 11, 2010, 10:11:49 AM »
Huah, huah, huah.

So what? It's how the game works.

Kill some lvl 50 peep, get his Buffalo Rifle, it's yours for this session; quit out and it's gone.
Kill some DLC peep, get his tomahawk (if that's what he's got equipped), it's yours for this session; quit out and it's gone.

The alternative is to block everyone off, into those who have the DLC and those who don't. That just means depopulated servers. No one wants that.

Showing a random character is pretty clever, actually.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #1468 on: August 11, 2010, 12:16:18 PM »
i don't care about the tomahawk, but they ought to at least give you a choice in which character non-buyers see you as in free roam
sup

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1469 on: August 11, 2010, 01:31:38 PM »
Yeah that's a fairly odd concept I never thought of and slightly defeats the point I would think. Part of the charm of buying a character skin is that everybody sees you in that character skin. It's a little weird I suppose to buy something and then a large percentage of the people playing don't actually see you in the skin based on whether or not they bought the same DLC.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1470 on: August 11, 2010, 04:54:43 PM »
Can we do it in a Private gang match? Is there such a thing?

Maybe you can help me with the "kill an enemy in midair" 'cheev. I will hit you with a tomahawk in the balls.

Not totally, but if you start a gang/FFA match from one of the posts in a free roam session only players in that free roam can join afaik. No one ever joins and if they do you can just kick them. Yeah I'd be glad to knock out a few PvP challenges, I also need to boost some shotgun and sniper kills for my golden challenges. Im about 2/3rds done with those. My golden arsenal is going to rule.

And the tomahawk is fun, but I suck with it. Im going to try and complete the single player challenges for practice, because online I was getting owned!

The new maps are pretty cool, I really like Blackwater and Thieves Landing. Fort Mercer in a 16 player free for all is just nuts!

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1471 on: August 11, 2010, 05:24:46 PM »
Yeah that's a fairly odd concept I never thought of and slightly defeats the point I would think. Part of the charm of buying a character skin is that everybody sees you in that character skin. It's a little weird I suppose to buy something and then a large percentage of the people playing don't actually see you in the skin based on whether or not they bought the same DLC.

If you think of it as e-peen, sure. I don't care what anyone else sees. If I'm driving a Ferrari on my screen, and they are seeing a Yugo kick their ass, so what?

I do understand the reservation though. It's like "LOOK WHAT I BOUGHT!" and everyone says, "Oh, man! I want that!" -- but the only way to do it that I can think of is a title update/patch to include it for everyone's game, and then only allow DLC purchasers to select the item. That's what Crackdown 1 did for their additional races, Checkpoint Chase, new weapons, and I think even player-character Agent models. If player B joins player A's DLC-enhanced game, they can see the Checkpoint Chase startpoint but can't initiate it.

IIRC, if you picked up the DLC-enabled player's weapons after they died, you could register them at any Checkpoint, and they'd permanently be enabled in your own game. :lol -- maybe that's why they're not handling it that way?

MY NEW 360 is being packed in my CARRY-ON BAGGAGE. No luggage throwers will be allowed to fling it  anywhere. It will be in my care. In my overhead luggage compartment. Soon I will have a working 360 of my own again.

...And I will help you become the Man with the Golden Guns, Scenester.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1472 on: August 11, 2010, 05:33:25 PM »
thanks! yeah its just the tricky guns I need to boost head shots with, sniper rifles and shotguns. Ive got like at least 50 with every weapon already and I get a few more every night, so it wont take long at all. You back in Japan this weekend?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1473 on: August 11, 2010, 05:48:25 PM »
I'm back at 22:00 on Saturday night, probably will have my machine up sometime mid-day on Sunday.

Depending on which direction my kids get jetlagged, I may be able to play pretty early.  ;)

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1474 on: August 11, 2010, 05:59:28 PM »
Sweet, yeah I'll most likely be relaxing and gaming all weekend. Getting over a cold (damn winter, its freezing here) so yeah, chilling out and gaming is the order of the day!

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #1475 on: August 11, 2010, 06:40:03 PM »
someone made this excellent point about the character costumes on the rockstar blog:

I agree with the other people. The revolver costumes should be able to be seen by everyone. Here is why. I use the indian dude, in the dark in certain spots to be stealthy. When you make him appear as a cowboy with WHITE on, or some other color not of my choosing, you are ALTERING my game play and tactics. That just doesn't seem right. If I don't know how I am truly appearing to the other players then why even use them....ya know.....
sup

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1476 on: August 11, 2010, 07:00:20 PM »
What was funny last night was in the new map playlist 2/3rds of the players were playing as Red Harlow. It was like battling an army of clones!

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1477 on: August 12, 2010, 01:01:50 AM »
I'm remembering ing Quake days when people would override the skins people made with local ALL-YELLOW or ALL-GREEN skins, so all the cheap-ass campers would suddenly, clearly appear like glow in the dark figures in their little roost. Life was sweet. 

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1478 on: August 12, 2010, 05:56:31 PM »
Man, really looking forward to you helping me get the golden guns Chronovore. Currently Im getting boned in FFA matches, simply beacuse I'm non-stop rushing people with Shotguns to score headshots with them  :'( Almost there, though. I'll just need to boost sniper kills I think. Should only take half an hour

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1479 on: August 12, 2010, 06:19:57 PM »
I'm gonna hit online and then just play American Idol Karaoke while you cry into your headset.  ;) :P

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1480 on: August 15, 2010, 05:01:06 PM »
After giving the DLC a good 10 hours of play I am very satisfied with it for 800 points.

If you like the competitive modes the new maps are great, substantial tweaks have been made to them, so Fort Mercer for instance has all kinds of extra rooms and ladders and things for sneaking up on people. Only dud map in the bunch is Escalera (and Thieves Landing is just average). I love Blackwater and the Rio Bravo tomahawk a-thon.

The single player tomahawk challenges are just that, challenging, and will take at least an hour to get through.

The new (old) characters are funny I guess but everyone plays with them so Im kinda sick at looking at them. Ive already got the character specific cheevs so Im back to my Mexican now.

A+ DLC would buy again. Really hanging out for the horse racing and poker DLC!

Himu

« Reply #1481 on: August 15, 2010, 05:25:18 PM »
I tried this game out at my cousin's. I liked what I played. I'm confused by the horse controls though. I got in the horse race with the girl and John keeps falling off. So I figured you tap X like usual, but when you feel the controller vibrate, stop, then continue tapping after a few seconds. That worked well for me, but I'm not sure if that's the correct way you do it. I kinda just experimented.
IYKYK

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1482 on: August 15, 2010, 05:31:25 PM »
your horse is runnning out of stamina. Next to the radar is a blue stamina gauge for your horse. You can only spur your horse so much before it throws you off, the rumble is warning that youre on the edge of getting bucked. You have to stop tapping A for a bit and let the stamina recharge.

Himu

« Reply #1483 on: August 15, 2010, 05:35:19 PM »
Okay. I figured that was the case but couldn't confirm it. But the bitch passed me up when I did that. :lol
IYKYK

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1484 on: August 15, 2010, 05:38:49 PM »
you still pass the mission even if you lose to her, which is a cop out. The whole game is really easy though

Himu

« Reply #1485 on: August 15, 2010, 05:43:17 PM »
Targeting modes: casual, normal, or expert?

I found myself leaning on expert.
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1486 on: August 15, 2010, 06:14:14 PM »
After giving the DLC a good 10 hours of play I am very satisfied with it for 800 points.

If you like the competitive modes the new maps are great, substantial tweaks have been made to them, so Fort Mercer for instance has all kinds of extra rooms and ladders and things for sneaking up on people. Only dud map in the bunch is Escalera (and Thieves Landing is just average). I love Blackwater and the Rio Bravo tomahawk a-thon.

The single player tomahawk challenges are just that, challenging, and will take at least an hour to get through.

The new (old) characters are funny I guess but everyone plays with them so Im kinda sick at looking at them. Ive already got the character specific cheevs so Im back to my Mexican now.

A+ DLC would buy again. Really hanging out for the horse racing and poker DLC!

In a week or two, you won't be seeing five of the same character during each shootout. Yeah, it's tiresome and breaks immersion. Waaaah. I like the character-themed Achievements, this repetition will wear off eventually. I think. Germans seemed to favor the Pig yesterday...

Himu

« Reply #1487 on: August 16, 2010, 12:30:29 AM »
Okay. I've played about 5 hours of this and it is amazing. This is the gta4 I wanted. GODDAMN. Every other minute I'm unlocking something new.
IYKYK

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1488 on: August 16, 2010, 12:34:57 AM »
Okay. I've played about 5 hours of this and it is amazing. This is the gta4 I wanted. GODDAMN. Every other minute I'm unlocking something new.

Yeah, I was going to be pissed if you came in with some lame I'm disappointed attitude.  :)

It's really good and I think you and I share some aspects of what we like in open world games although I know you like more of the random stuff than I do. But that's what is very good about RDR. It was one of the first open world games where I was actually motivated to do all that extra stuff and to boot I found the main storyline and missions to be great. Unlike most on the bore and GAF I really liked GTA 4. But it didn't hit me in the same way that San Andreas did. RDR was my San Andreas for this gen.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1489 on: August 16, 2010, 12:40:55 AM »
Its about time Himuro played the damn game instead of writing page upon page of speculation!

Glad you're enjoying it  :)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1490 on: August 16, 2010, 12:45:58 AM »
Yeah, exactly right.

It's not just good at providing things to do, but letting you know that you did something interesting. Doing those interesting things will unlock new things to do, as well as giving you new advantages. Keep using your Journal from the Start Menu to see what new Challenges you have unlocked. You can keep an eye out for completing those during your travels, while the game itself will keep flinging new things at you on its own.

As Stoney mentioned, it will be interesting to see how Rockstar North integrates these lessons into whatever they do for GTA V. Whomever here called GTA IV "a rail shooter disguised as an open world game" was spot-on.

Do yourself a favor though: If you go online, don't spend a lot of time doing the Sharpshooter, Survivalist, and Hunter Free Roam Challenges until you've cleared them in the single player campaign. It can be pretty annoying to do some of the more advanced ones twice, concurrently if you're playing singleplayer and multiplayer at the same time.

However: If you have a really good visual/spatial memory, using the Survivalist Maps in singleplayer for herb collecting will help you do the same in multiplayer, where such assists are not available.

Its about time Himuro played the damn game instead of writing page upon page of speculation!

:rofl

Himu

« Reply #1491 on: August 16, 2010, 01:01:59 AM »

:rofl you dick
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1492 on: August 16, 2010, 02:19:56 AM »
It has a lot of what I liked about old GTA games in it, but more than that, it expands upon what I've liked about sandbox games and makes it better experience. I think I should be honest here. I haven't truly loved any of the sandbox games I've played this gen except maybe Saints Row 1/2, unless Fallout 3 counts, and I don't count it. Last gen, sandbox games were among my favorite genres but I couldn't get into Assassin's Creed, Crackdown, GTA4 (well, I liked some of GTA4 and its episodes but not as SANDBOX games);etc But it's like this game was made for me from the beginning.

Things I like

- The random elements, like gangs, rivalries. This is something I missed in GTA4, and RDR has brought them back and made them better. They're also enhanced due to the fact you can choose what to do. During my adventures, a gang of bandits rode in to town guns ablazed. I killed them all, and the more I killed bandits who rode on my tail in the desert, the more I noticed more kept coming into town. I saw one guy try to have his way with a chick in town, shot him in the head. Suddenly I'm some hero.

In more ways than one, RDR feels like my story more than John's. That's...uh, a unique trait, I think, considering the fact that John has a clear motive and a clear personality. It's hard to pull that off with voiced main characters I feel.

- The script and story are interesting. I think it's due to the time period. It's just...interesting. The game, unlike past Rockstar efforts, doesn't feel like it's trying earnestly to be funny, but when it does (the movies at the theater :lol) it does so with charm and wit, rather than petty adolescent humor like in recent GTA's. I dunno. It's weird because, even doing the cow herding mission is fun to me even though all I did was ride a horse and yip yip and make a bunch of cows run into a plain to eat grass. And yet I had the time of my life. :lol So far, the characters lack Rockstar's trademark quirkiness. They're all down to Earth people, and talk about actual issues. It feels natural and it works.

- The game does a great way of unveiling features and revealing new ones. Like, it actually TELLS you about Stranger missions. In GTA4, stranger missions just pop up randomly. It has a nice sense of flow, and for the first time in years, I have an urge to explore a sandbox game's world rather than just do the story.

- Money actually means something. You have to earn your living through skinning, doing bounty hunter jobs (btw how the fuck do you keep a bounty alive? Also do you sometimes have to fight other bounty hunters? :hyper). There's tons of shit to buy: maps, healing items, property (should have been in gta4, especially since gtavc and sa already had this feature)...

- It feels like a real sandbox game. TLAD and Gay Tony were better than GTA4, but to me they still felt utterly scripted. In RDR, I encountered a bounty and saw he was going to try to get away so I killed his horse and chased him down. It was quite an adventure. If this were GTA4, his horse would be invincible and he'd have to stop somewhere in the desert before I could kill him.

- The controls, they're the same as GTA4's but they're far, far tighter. I have the game on casual actually, and I'm loving the controls. I find that in a game with wide expanses like this, lock on is better than free aim in most cases, especially when you consider you go up against fast animals. No need to worry about cars swerving around tight corners in city streets full of traffic. They're smooth.

And I can't stress enough how much I love the setting. I still think GTA5 or whatever the next GTA is could use a change in something along with the expanded features in RDR.

I know what game I'm buying next. I ended up buying SMG2 instead like 3 weeks ago. :(
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 02:22:41 AM by Himuro »
IYKYK

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #1493 on: August 16, 2010, 05:49:25 AM »
i wish a PC version would get released

would double dip
nat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1494 on: August 16, 2010, 10:34:54 PM »
I'm going to have to wade into the kiddie pool again. This morning I played Legends and Killers Free for All, and as Scenester observed the other day all the other players were LEGENDS AND KILLAZ: Most everyone is Lv. 40+ with about 1/3 having Legend 1 or 2 status.Those matches are non-stop lessons in how to catch bullets with my face.

Still, they're pretty crazily populated. At least it's easy to get into a full session.

Shootouts I don't fair so well in. In Gold Rush, where I usually do pretty well, the Legends and Killers games have featured lots of people sniping and trying to get their gold weapons instead of, you know, actually playing to win the match. It's a rush, but at the same time it seems nearly impossible to get the 3x double-bag 'cheev.

I need to get a lot better at the "LT to lock-on, ease-off LT to free aim up" headshot move. It looks like I'd also be well-served by the X-to-roll maneuver, but I can't seem to time it right to save my life. Any advice?

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1495 on: August 16, 2010, 10:46:19 PM »
In regards to rolling, I cant give much more advice than: roll often. Watch good players and their rolling techniques, note when they are doing it and try and learn their moves. Thats how I got decent at playing online.

I'd also like to mention that you dont need to release LT to move up for the headshot. Snap into lockon and guide the reticule up with RS. Dont need to let go of LT.

The standard playlists are full of noobs now so they are fun to jump into and get easy kills. Im gonna finish grinding my golden guns there I think (as Mauser Pistol, Carcano Rifle are unavailable in the new maps and the Rolling Block is rare)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 10:48:05 PM by The Sceneman »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1496 on: August 16, 2010, 10:52:26 PM »
Really? Not letting go is OK? Wow, I think you had to release for GTA IV or it wouldn't move from the target's center of mass. I'll give it a shot.

GilloD

• TAKE THE LIFE OF FRED ASTAIRE. MAKE HIM PAY. TRANSFER HIS FAME TO YOU.
« Reply #1497 on: August 17, 2010, 12:43:49 AM »
I was in New Mexico last week and it seriously had me DYING to play this game. I'm thinking about nabbing a 360 just to play it :(
wha

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1498 on: August 17, 2010, 01:53:34 AM »
As a west-coast guy who enjoyed a lot of trips to Big Bear and Pearblossom in his youth, I play this game in Japan as a placebo visit to my homeland.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
A placebo where I get to shoot bad guys.
[close]

Himu

« Reply #1499 on: August 17, 2010, 08:38:19 PM »
Bought.

Anyone with a ps3 have this?
IYKYK