Author Topic: Red Dead Redemption screens, and trailer!  (Read 181106 times)

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
Re: Red Dead Redemption screens, and trailer!
« Reply #1740 on: October 26, 2010, 11:01:07 PM »
I made the plunge and bought it on PS3. I hope theres a tutorial on how to play again or something because I haven't touched it since May and I can't remember a damn thing.

push the buttons find out what they do, remember what they do. Thats how you learned how to play games in the old days

GilloD

• TAKE THE LIFE OF FRED ASTAIRE. MAKE HIM PAY. TRANSFER HIS FAME TO YOU.
« Reply #1741 on: October 26, 2010, 11:03:31 PM »
I made the plunge and bought it on PS3. I hope theres a tutorial on how to play again or something because I haven't touched it since May and I can't remember a damn thing.

I've always found that these GTA games are pretty inuitive. Left Clicker is Aim, right clicker is shoot. Top most back in highjack etc., on the left is interact, on the right is reload and on the bottom is Confirm/Do Stuff.
wha

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #1742 on: October 27, 2010, 01:37:13 AM »
Buy the disc for $30, comes out on Nov. 23 and has Undead Nightmare, the other 2 DLC packs, and all the multi Free Roam stuff - it's stand alone, too:

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Dead-Redemption-Nightmare-Playstation-3/dp/B004918C4M

Would you consider this value better than just getting RDR atm?

it's a toss-up, depends on how into multiplayer stuff you are, you can find the original for around $30 used now

SP portion of Undead is between 5-12 hours depending on if you do all the challenges and side quests

I'm speaking of strictly new purchases. I don't buy used games unless I can't find them new, so RDR is $60 to me. On that scale, which is a better value?

rent rdr, buy the $30 disc, you'll spend $90 otherwise

i've been playing undead nightmare for a little over 5 hrs and it says i'm only 35% done
sup

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #1743 on: October 27, 2010, 02:02:26 AM »
Looks like my friend is gonna let me borrow RDR. Problem solved. Going back to FF12.
SRY

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1744 on: October 27, 2010, 03:31:58 AM »
Undead Nightmare is AWESOME. It's super corny and really plays up the comedy aspect of the dialogue. Reminds me of GTA San Andreas or something
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Holy shit the Sasquatch quest was intense :rofl
[close]

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1745 on: October 27, 2010, 03:36:43 AM »
How big is the undead nightmare download? My wussy little 20GB HDD is packed in to the maximum.

Chronovore you'd better be on this weekend to take down some zomboids with the Sceneman

Saddle up.

GilloD

« Reply #1746 on: October 27, 2010, 09:03:21 AM »
Undead Nightmare is GREAT. It's like a total makeover- The core gameplay is way different. Ammo is really scarce,so you're constantly on the run. It feels like Silent Hill or a survival horror game. The atmosphere is really creepy- It's very foggy, the sun is a sickly green color. The enemies are all freaky, I got fucked up by an undead boar :( I also caught a skeleton horse, but it ran off. They have infinite stamina!

The new objectives are neat and they all feel really well integrated. I can't believe how much stuff there is to do for 10 bucks. Also, the plot and dialogue are pretty B-Movie.
The gay druggie professor from Yale comes back from Yale for no reason and gets eaten by Nastas, haha. It's also pretty obviously a dream, what with Jack telling John the monster story before bed and whatever
[close]
wha

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #1747 on: October 27, 2010, 09:31:58 AM »
hopefully psn finishes downloading this some day. i hope its not scary
USA

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1748 on: October 27, 2010, 10:50:54 AM »
This is the slowest I've ever seen XBLA running. It may be my router needs resetting, but it just seems crazy slow only on my 360 right now. An hour into the download, it showed 7%,...
 :-\

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #1749 on: October 27, 2010, 12:42:03 PM »
The only thing I don't care for is the "normal" undead horses. I don't know who thought it would be fun to make you fight to steer them, but it isn't. They're borderline uncontrollable. Stupid sonsofbitches run straight for the edge of a bridge every single time.
sup

cool breeze

« Reply #1750 on: October 27, 2010, 12:46:29 PM »
This is the slowest I've ever seen XBLA running. It may be my router needs resetting, but it just seems crazy slow only on my 360 right now. An hour into the download, it showed 7%,...

that sounds slower than the 8 hours it took to download the Crackdown 1 demo on my dorm's internet connection

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1751 on: October 27, 2010, 03:30:39 PM »
Crazy, in New Zealand I downloaded it in 10 minutes.

GilloD

« Reply #1752 on: October 27, 2010, 06:43:03 PM »

Bummer. Took me like 90 minutes.
wha

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1753 on: October 28, 2010, 12:40:48 AM »
Crazy, in New Zealand I downloaded it in 10 minutes.
And your internets is famously crap.  :-\

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #1754 on: October 28, 2010, 03:44:23 PM »
beat the main storyline

there is no ending
[close]
sup

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #1755 on: October 28, 2010, 04:38:57 PM »
Just booted it up, it's pretty good, btu I remember why I didnt really like RDR in the first place because of the floaty controls.
I did the sasquatch missions. I felt bad at the end :(
[close]
USA

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1756 on: November 02, 2010, 12:56:21 AM »
beat the main storyline

there is no ending
[close]

Did you see the credits?

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #1757 on: November 02, 2010, 01:42:47 AM »
there aren't any

speaking of undead nightmare, here
sup

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1758 on: November 02, 2010, 04:06:45 AM »
Ah.

Well, hell.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1759 on: November 15, 2010, 05:40:59 AM »
So far, Red Undead Redemption, er, Undead Nightmare has been really good. I've only played half an hour or so, but I like the atmosphere they've got going. It takes itself less seriously than the main storyline, and has more of the "American jackass" humor I loved so much in the GTA III era. The additional survivors in Blackwater were pretty hilarious. Things always go from seemingly normal to a sense of wonderment how these idiots have lasted as long as they have. The writers kept John Marston's dry wit. I laughed out loud a few times; I loved, "Jack, be kind to your mother. Abigail, teach your son right from wrong. ...Quit biting chunks out of other people." The horror movie logic is also welcome: "No, no. I'm just going to go fetch my bag on my own, down this apparently deserted street..." :lol

The game's harder than the vanilla storyline's, though! I guess you're mainly s'posed to RUN AWAY where zombies are concerned. Ammo is freakin' scarce. The couple of times I've stayed too long to loot corpses, I've been overrun. Even out in Tall Trees, endless bursts of zombie bears and cougars are showing up, and even where I was supposed to be hunting a Sasquatch, there were a half dozen human zombies, which were replaced by 10 and then 15 or so, and then more... I tried to flee on foot, but a couple Bolters got me.

The design divergences are also interesting. There's no rudimentary camp and I've not seen a shop so far. Since John can only Save at a safehouse, and those are only available at "safe towns." He can only fast-travel between these safe towns as well, and apparently they don't stay safe indefinitely, because there's an Achievement for having all the towns safe at once ("Spinning Plates"). So there's more risk by not being able to frequently save, less ammunition and no means to purchase it, ammunition becomes a currency since turning a town to a "safe town" requires relinquishing your own ammunition or finding a cache.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1760 on: November 15, 2010, 04:18:04 PM »
yeah I have to get back to this and finish it off. I still havent touched the new multiplayer modes.

I'm a bit pissed that the "Compulsive Liar" achievement from Liars and Cheats pack has ruined my potential 100% without organising a 6 player boosting party to go for it. Maybe I'll try and join one once the standalone DLC disc comes out.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 04:19:42 PM by The Sceneman »

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #1761 on: November 15, 2010, 04:54:11 PM »
if you see me on hit me up with an invite, i'll help you boost that
sup

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1762 on: November 15, 2010, 11:09:25 PM »
Yeah, same here.

Robo

« Reply #1763 on: November 30, 2010, 12:29:30 PM »
Just finished off Undead Nightmare last night.  It's a pretty fun revisit to RDR, if a bit wonky gameplay-wise.  While being rushed by hordes of fiends is the feature gameplay here, it clearly wasn't ever an intended part of the original RDR experience; the camera tends to whirl around chaotically when targeting an enemy at melee distance - a common occurance when one of the four types of new enemies darts around at gallop speed - and since zombies are impervious to body shots, you're often over-reliant (I felt) on Deadeye to get those critical headshots and avoid getting gangbanged or wasting large amounts of valuable ammo.

I did love how it incorporated the characters (and ultimate resolution) of RDR though.  Total fanservice, but very cool about it.

Now, how the hell am I supposed to kill an undead cougar with a torch?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 01:52:36 PM by Robo »
obo

« Reply #1764 on: November 30, 2010, 02:58:26 PM »
I bought this at Amazon on Black Friday for $29, really looking forward to trying it out.
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1765 on: January 20, 2011, 11:08:43 PM »
http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/xpchallenge

The "Everybody Pitch in and Win Stuff as a Whole" XP CHALLENGE is now active.

Yesterday PS3 was astonishingly in the lead despite having a theoretically lesser number of copies in circulation. I guess they have less games to play. :teehee Today, we xbots have caught up and passed them.

I'll be dusting this off over the weekend, any of you have enough sand to sign up and regulate again?

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #1766 on: January 20, 2011, 11:23:28 PM »
I bought this at Amazon on Black Friday for $29, really looking forward to trying it out.

I only got midway (rented it) but its the real deal as far as the praise it gets
:9

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1767 on: January 22, 2011, 08:23:00 AM »
It looks like it's not so much a race between PSN and XBL to see who wins, or even who comes in first. Both platforms are adding their cumulative XP to the pool.

Bebpo

« Reply #1768 on: January 23, 2011, 07:26:19 PM »
How the hell do you wrangle a horse?  I've been trying for 20 mins now.  The tutorial was not very informative!  I'm I supposed to be pressing the opposite direction that the horse is turning towards?  What about towards/backwards?  Or is it just left/right? 

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1769 on: January 23, 2011, 07:27:37 PM »
you'll see Marston tipping from side to side while he's breaking it in, you have to try and steady him, get him centered on the horse. Don't look at what the horse is doing, just try and keep Marston balanced. You just need to hold the stick left/right to steady him

Bebpo

« Reply #1770 on: January 23, 2011, 08:38:22 PM »
Thanks the sceneman, got it.

Would've been easier for me if the camera was behind the horse instead of in front of it.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1771 on: January 23, 2011, 08:42:16 PM »
Or if they had a balance bar a-la Tony Hawk to help you out... its a shitty minigame but at least it's short and you hardly ever have to do it

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1772 on: January 23, 2011, 11:06:35 PM »
I liked that minigame. Don't watch what Marston's doing or what the horse is doing, just watch how much of the horse's flank you can see and try and adjust the camera so you see the horse head-on.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #1773 on: January 24, 2011, 12:33:05 AM »
I really should finish this but I don't think I'd enjoy this after playing Deadly Premonition.
itm

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #1774 on: January 24, 2011, 12:35:04 AM »
I have undead nightmare coming in next week hopefully. Should be hot.  :hyper

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1775 on: January 27, 2011, 05:26:23 PM »
Got in undead nightmare. Enjoyable enough so far.

At first you're like this is so cheesy and stupid its bad. And then you play a bit more and you realize its so cheesy and stupid its kinda cool.

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #1776 on: January 27, 2011, 05:47:44 PM »
When I downloaded the Crysis 2 demo I saw that the Undead DLC was 400pts which seemed like a hell of bargain, so I picked it up.  Haven't touched it yet though.  Too much Dead Space 2 and Starcraft II going on right now and one of these days I gotta finish Deadly Premonition so I can send that fucker back to Gamefly.  I've had that for way too long.
Tacos

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1777 on: January 27, 2011, 11:45:21 PM »
You couldn't spend 20 bucks on Deadly Premonition? That's sad; I'm chrono-crying.

Got in undead nightmare. Enjoyable enough so far.

At first you're like this is so cheesy and stupid its bad. And then you play a bit more and you realize its so cheesy and stupid its kinda cool.

I've probably already mentioned this on this board somewhere, but the writing in Undead Uprising seems less like the stolid RDR environment and has more in common with the previous era of Rockstar: Bully, GTA3/VC/San Andreas... it's more over the top, unbelievable, gross, violent and altogether awesome.

I prefer Rockstar when it willingly and jumps the shark, winks, then does a freezeframe of Fonzie in mid-flight, just to show him scratching his ball sac and then sniffing his fingers, before letting him land on the other side of the shark. Crass and outrageous; that's how I like my Rockstar games.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1778 on: January 29, 2011, 03:57:50 PM »
Just did this bit. Game is nuts.  :lol

[youtube=560,345][/youtube]
[close]

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1779 on: January 30, 2011, 01:14:24 AM »
That's crazy sad.

MoxManiac

« Reply #1780 on: January 30, 2011, 03:35:08 PM »
I have all the DLC but no copy of the game :dur
no

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1781 on: January 30, 2011, 03:57:34 PM »
Been playing a bit of the free roam with a friend which I had never touched before. If whoever makes those Cabela's games was smart, a fleshed out version of online free roam is what they would make. That would sell gangbusters.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1782 on: February 01, 2011, 03:00:27 AM »
I'm a-goggle at the complexity of what Free Roam entails. Clearly this is the way GTA IV's Free Roam was intended to work; I suspect it was just kept as its own mode after it was deemed infeasible as the "lobby" it acts as in RDR.

Cabela doesn't have the technical ability to pull this off.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #1783 on: February 01, 2011, 09:26:03 PM »
What would it take to get into this now? Is the online community still kickin' - I have a shitload of MSbux, is there any essential DLC to get? I WANT IN
___

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #1784 on: February 01, 2011, 10:04:04 PM »
yes, people still play, and if you ever just want to level up without all the griefing they have added a "friendly" free roam

get Undead Nightmare and Liars and Cheats, with Undead you get a lengthy single player and a MP horde-style mode - while L&C gives you a bunch of new gang hideouts, horse racing (with gunplay), gambling, and multiplayer versus modes like stronghold

legends and killers is just maps and skins (although killing someone with a tomahawk is pretty cool)

i don't go on as much as i used to on XBL (usually i play with a irl friend on ps3), but i'll play if you post or message me here
sup

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1785 on: February 02, 2011, 12:06:00 AM »
As said above, Liars and Cheats introduces more multiplayer modes, including gambling. Undead Nightmare has a sizable singleplayer component, with some interesting changes from the main game, and a more slapstick/horror kind of comedy bent to the writing.

Legends and Killers, honestly, it lives up to its name a little too much. Every time I enter one of those games, it tends to be Legend 4 or 5 players who are just insanely good. But if that's the DLC with the tomahawk, I agree that killing peeps with the tomahawk is just crazy fun. There's one map that gets frequent Replay Votes at the post-game screen, it's a limited visibility map which plays like "hide and seek," except when you find the other player, you get an axe in your head. Or they do. It's great fun.

There are even plenty of people playing the gambling, which surprised the heck out of me. Most people seemed to hate the initial "allowance" which prevents people from playing endlessly even if they do poorly. No-one seemed to understand how it is there as an anti-griefing measure to keep internet'ards from going all-in and blowing out the game.

Bebpo

« Reply #1786 on: February 04, 2011, 12:49:30 AM »
This game is nice and relaxing.  Not having car traffic and buildings everywhere so you can just go straight where you want + quick travel + checkpoints = game is much more relaxing and enjoyable than the GTA games.  I'm almost at 20% now, which is probably further than I've gotten in any Rockstar sandbox game since Vice City.  Been doing all the sidequests and sidejobs and everything since it's all pretty fun. 

The only thing I feel is missing is there's this big huge map but it's so empty and lifeless.  Even when you find these named locations all around, they're just broken down empty shacks or graves or abandoned towns.  When you get to them you can look at them and walk around them and ...that's about all.  There's nothing really to do.  Compare that to say New Vegas where every one of these 100s of little locations have at least an NPC or two you can talk to, most of them a quest, treasure chests to find, etc... I don't want the world to just be a backdrop in a game.  I want there to be things to do whereever you go.  The wilderness is great and I love it, but when you do stumble across locations there should be something there besides just the visuals.  I kind of have the same issue with GTA4 where it's like "cool looking super detailed city"...but at the end of the day it's all just a flat background, there's very little to actually do.  I like how in stuff like Assassin's Creed when you find a HIDDEN LAIR you can do a cool platforming stage or when you find a viewpoint you can climb it and look out and fill your map, or if you see structures to platform there's probably a feather on top or a treasure hidden and dozens and dozens of sidequests that take you all around every inch of the map making it useful.  I mean AC kind of goes too far in that way and AC:B was just ridiculously crowded, but I prefer more of AC interactive environment vs. RDR/GTA less interactive environment.  Though I do think RDR is a step in the right direction from GTA.  RDR at least has a handful of mini-jobs and sidequests and bounties you can do.  But still needs a little more to really be perfect.  I think New Vegas was pretty close to the perfect way to flesh out a giant sandbox map with satisfying gameplay things to do besides just walking around living up the environment.

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #1787 on: February 04, 2011, 02:24:21 AM »
RDR sounds like crap if the best thing you can say about it is that it's relaxing.  If I just wanna relax, I might as well play/watch flow or dust off the WII for some Mario auto-piloting. 
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 02:25:56 AM by Smooth Groove »

Herr Mafflard

« Reply #1788 on: February 04, 2011, 05:36:50 AM »
It's relaxing in the way that it captures a simpler era so well, as opposed to a modern gta game where it's all hustle n bustle and traffic. In fact, that's an overriding theme of the game, how the old west is coming to an end and where there's no room for people like John Marston anymore.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1789 on: February 04, 2011, 09:41:32 AM »
RDR sounds like crap if the best thing you can say about it is that it's relaxing.  If I just wanna relax, I might as well play/watch flow or dust off the WII for some Mario auto-piloting. 
It's relaxing compared to GTA, in as much as just driving around, you're not in danger of clipping a cop car and then having to outrun your Wanted level just getting around town. Sure, if you do get a Wanted level, it's basically the same mini-game (though it's just a matter of outrunning them and not trying to do it with side streets, or avoiding other ones in your path) but the odds of clipping anyone and getting that Wanted level are lower because the world is less populous.

Bebpo

« Reply #1790 on: February 08, 2011, 12:54:33 AM »
26% now, still really enjoying it.  Hanging onto a minecart from the back as it goes like a rollercoaster and you're on-rails shooting guys who pop up is totally awesome.  I really like the atmosphere and ambiance of the whole setting.  It's just very enjoyable to explore.  Helps that the main guy is pretty likeable too.  I wish you could do a no-kill run though, because I'm trying to play the good guy run but occasionally the story parts are like "hey here are these guys who probably aren't bad people but they're being mean to someone [maybe with good reason] to a person who is helping you, so kill them" and I try to be nice and shoot their guns out of their hands but then the story won't advance until I actually murder these people and I'm like wtf why do I have to murder some random guys. 

The worst was when I went to the mining town and it's like "hi you need to go steal shit from miners" and when you enter they start blasting you and you have to fight them off.  I'm a nice guy.  I don't want to go murder an entire town of miners for no reason wtf.  Game needs more options for non-killing people.  Still better than GTA games where you're basically a criminal.  I really wish they had ported this to PC with good tools.  I'd love to play an RDR that just goes one step further and makes it an rpg since it's basically an rpg already and just needs a few tweaks like dialogue choices to make it New Vegas Redemption.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 12:56:15 AM by Bebpo »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1791 on: February 08, 2011, 06:41:07 AM »
I'm playing though Undead Nightmare myself. Plenty of death to go around. If anything, I'm less sensitive to the deaths of characters than before. The whole thing is just callously tongue in cheek. The sequence with Armadillo's Sherriff made me LOL.

Robo

« Reply #1792 on: February 08, 2011, 10:17:22 AM »
The worst was when I went to the mining town and it's like "hi you need to go steal shit from miners" and when you enter they start blasting you and you have to fight them off.  I'm a nice guy.  I don't want to go murder an entire town of miners for no reason wtf.  Game needs more options for non-killing people.  Still better than GTA games where you're basically a criminal.

IIRC, those guys are supposed to be treasure hunters and not simply working miners.  I'm a little fuzzy on it, but I recall thinking the same thing.  Anyway, if that lack of consistency is troubling, Mexico isn't going to be much fun.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 10:18:58 AM by Robo »
obo

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1793 on: February 08, 2011, 06:02:49 PM »
(...) if that lack of consistency is troubling, Mexico isn't going to be much fun.

+1

Bebpo

« Reply #1794 on: February 10, 2011, 02:44:05 AM »
Got to Thieves Landing tonight.  Bayou!  zomg, so cool.  Green foilage and boats and swamps.  Cool stuff.  Unfortunately everyone in the town apparently wants to murder me, but still neat to find another down besides Armadillo.  Then I went to Plainview...oil digger people!  Neat.

I think I'm about to do Fort Mercer mission.  Looking forward to it the next time I play.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1795 on: February 10, 2011, 04:29:42 AM »
you'll love the areas in the "third island". They are the most exciting in the game IMO

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1796 on: February 10, 2011, 07:06:59 AM »
Thieves Landing hates goody-two-shoes. You'll get swindled in the stores, and all the local trash will try and perforate you.

Bebpo

« Reply #1797 on: February 10, 2011, 12:24:48 PM »
Makes sense.  Yeah, my honor is almost maxed on GOOD already at this point.  Fame is around 25% built up.

Bebpo

« Reply #1798 on: February 11, 2011, 02:15:07 AM »
Viva la mexico!

I have set foot on foreign land  :omg

While the first hour or two of the game gave the initial impression that it was just GTA in the west, that couldn't be more wrong.  At this point I can see how RDR was on so many GoTY lists and I can't quite disagree with them.  Definitely the best Rockstar game I've played and one of the most impressive sandbox environments ever. 

I took a look at the achievements finally and was a little bummed to see so many multiplayer achievements.  I thought maybe this would be like AC2 where if you really get into the SP and do all the missions & collect-a-thons you basically get 1000/1000.

Herr Mafflard

« Reply #1799 on: February 11, 2011, 04:42:31 AM »
Yeah multiplayer cheevs is the reason I didn't 1000 the game. Though I did get the Wild Bunch tag for multi :pimp

Also hated the fact that you had redo all the survivalist etc challenges from scratch in multiplayer even though you 100% them all in sp. I thought no way in hell am I going through all that again for multi.@