Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1082614 times)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: Corona Thread |OT| Money-printer goes BRRRR
« Reply #4080 on: March 26, 2020, 07:34:25 AM »
My work still has everyone doing overtime, but now it has been cut down and I only have to work an extra 30 minutes starting today.  It was so dead when they had us working last Saturday that the boss told the people scheduled for Sunday not to bother, and yet despite this, we may still have to work what will be the third weekend in a row "because they might want to compare stats before they decided to let scheduling go back to normal." 
:mindblown

HOW ABOUT LOOKING AT HOW NOTHING HAPPENED LAST WEEKEND?
:kinison

I'm so burned out, but at the same time feel like it's good job security- we are an absolute necessity here.  AFAIK nothing bad financially is going on, but I can see them using this situation as an excuse not to give us any raises or bonuses this year. 
ど助平

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #4081 on: March 26, 2020, 07:40:37 AM »
lol about the overtime, just think you'll be getting some switch time whilst getting paid again, but I totally get the even travelling and being in the office is exhausting when you're already on empty.

Yeah I'm just in an industry that is suffering atm, my overtime has really dried up which is good, but I'm still forever checking emails at all times of the day to ensure people can work etc.
Just a bit bummed out how they're not taking things on a case by case and instead are just doing a blanket thing, but I know my sorry ass will be working weekends to do server stuff that cannot be done in hours etc, so I think when it comes to that, if I end up working over my hours each week, I will be having words with my boss who is an awesome guy who actually fights for me, who will no doubt be saying look he can move on easily and if we lose him getting someone else could prove difficult, I know I'm not replaceable, but just training someone knew in these circumstances would be a major pain in the ass for good amount of time.

We shall see, between you having a kid, and me buying a house right now, it's stress season.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #4082 on: March 26, 2020, 07:49:04 AM »
Just got an email basically saying I'm likely to be taking a 20% pay cut soon. YAY! But kicker is being core service I have to carry on working, whilst others will basically be getting free money.

:fbm

Depends on your situation (permanent, freelance, labor contracts etc) and I wouldn't claim it couldn't happen in France but it sounds fucked up they can just slash pay.
ὕβρις

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #4083 on: March 26, 2020, 07:54:11 AM »
Just got an email basically saying I'm likely to be taking a 20% pay cut soon. YAY! But kicker is being core service I have to carry on working, whilst others will basically be getting free money.

Depends on your situation (permanent, freelance, labor contracts etc) and I wouldn't claim it couldn't happen in France but it sounds fucked up they can just slash pay.

Perm worker, so yeah I'm not quite sure on the legality on it, but I'm pretty sure they're gonna basically threaten people with redundancy if they don't comply.

For now I'm just gonna ride the wave, they can't just put this in, it will probably take at least another month to implement, so we will see what happens. Just a bit of a shock that's the first thing I read this morning.

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #4084 on: March 26, 2020, 08:02:02 AM »
Don’t read up about New York hospitals if you want to have a good day
dur

Himu

« Reply #4085 on: March 26, 2020, 08:10:22 AM »

Weren't you saying a few weeks ago this wasn't a big deal because the flu kills more?
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4086 on: March 26, 2020, 08:15:40 AM »
We shall see, between you having a kid, and me buying a house right now, it's stress season.

Our little "disaster scenario" is if my wife gets canned from her job or has no work for however many months (combined with maternity leave), we're just going to sell our home, move back in with my folks, and then she would be a full stay-at-home mom for at least a few years.  Won't have to worry about daycare costs that way and having no mortgage and related payments means my income is more than enough for us, plus we'd get a shitload of savings from the money made selling our place.  Would then go buy a new home once the kid doesn't need daycare and wife hopefully finds a new job. 

But that's the worst case scenario and hopefully it won't come to that. 
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4087 on: March 26, 2020, 08:17:46 AM »
Also wonder how long it would take to sell a home with things like they are right now- this is a hot area, but are people really still house-hunting with 'lockdowns' in place?
:thinking
ど助平

Ghoul

« Reply #4088 on: March 26, 2020, 08:20:06 AM »
Yeah that is a good backup plan, my dumb ass hasn't even completed on the mortgage yet, but we've still put in quite a bit of money at this point so I'm basically all in on buying it.

Although it maybe a struggle for a few months, I'm sure that once it starts to ease here and we are no longer on lockdown it should bounce back pretty quickly. Worst case I know we have family that are in a position to be able to help with some bills luckily so it'll work out fine in the end. Even if I was to get it and die I'd get paid 8x my salary which would be more than enough to pay off the house so least wouldn't leave the partner in the shit.

Dark but least I know it's okay anyway.

Also wonder how long it would take to sell a home with things like they are right now- this is a hot area, but are people really still house-hunting with 'lockdowns' in place?
:thinking

lol probably not buying homes, apart from me OFC :D
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 08:36:07 AM by Ghoul »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4089 on: March 26, 2020, 08:26:31 AM »
Sorry about your parents, and I feel like the situation is *slightly* different when your tenants are business and not individuals.   

Housing as an investment is morally wrong.  I have aunts and uncles that own two rental properties (which are now rented by their kids if I recall).  My grandma use to rent her old condo (now my cousin in renting it).  My mom's retirement fund is substantially based on the four-person house she lives alone in.  My family is good people, but that doesn't make any of this OK.  In general, landlords raise property prices and contribute almost nothing in value.  Just because they had the opportunity to invest in housing does not mean it's acceptable to profit off of other people's shelter.     

Watching the Toronto housing bubble pop is pretty scary because the tenants not paying will only drive out the middle-class landlords who use it as a way of supplementing other income (which is still wrong but a lot better than it is their full-time job).  Then the people who should be homeowners are those that will be losing their jobs and low-income workers who won't be able to afford the new properties, so they will be gobbled up by the rich and the housing situation 5 or 10 years from now is just going to be worse.  It's nice that AirB&B exploded but the rest is going to be shit.   

edit: saw a toku like before I edited and then it went away.  So this is how it feels to be unblessed.  I bet this is how Castro felt.

Yeah, I agree residential is a little different because people need a roof over their head and it puts you in a morals situation. I'd never rent residential. AirBnB landlords are super scummy and have fucked up the rent market too.
It mainly just bs when it's like big chain commercial tenants. Like I have less empathy for Best Buy (not the tenant at my parent's center, but similar) than a family of 4.

Also the bs thing is that a family of 4 will usually talk to their landlord and work out some partial rent thing for now whereas a business like Best Buy will just say, nope, not paying you any rent and you'll like it.

What should be done to be fair right now is freeze rents, freeze mortgages, freeze property taxes, freeze utilities. Bail out the utilities companies if necessary and unfortunately the banks because you got to have banks.

And what you said about Toronto is right. These kind of squeezes out the middle class property owners because the 1% rich folks can afford to sit through this (plus the gov sucks their dicks here in the USA). If China hadn't implemented those laws to keep money inside the country, right now Chinese buyers would come and buy up everything at cheap prices during this.

Seems like this will be a common tactic  https://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/fozfzh/the_cheesecake_factory_tells_landlords_it_will/

Pennywise

Ghoul

« Reply #4091 on: March 26, 2020, 08:36:33 AM »
bish bash bosch

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4092 on: March 26, 2020, 08:41:55 AM »

Himu

« Reply #4093 on: March 26, 2020, 08:50:02 AM »
Stargate SG1 in HD??
IYKYK

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4094 on: March 26, 2020, 08:54:23 AM »
So I've kept it out of here so far, but feel like I need to vent a little. My wife is an ICU nurse. She has 4 COVID 19 patients in her unit. She's worried and stressing. I'm worried about her obviously and trying to just be supportive because the last thing she needs is to worry about me being worried about her. Her friend got assigned to the first patient in their hospital and they tried to get her to care for the patient without a mask. They eventually gave her one after she flat out refused and threatened to walk. And to thank her for being a team player, they gave her a casserole. Just a wtf. A fucking casserole? My brother gets married on Saturday. None of my other family could make it because everyone else lives out of state or out of the country so my wife and I were going to be the only ones there but we've also decided not to go because my wife is concerned about us getting infected from her job and spreading it to others. My brother and I aren't exactly close but it breaks my heart to leave him alone on his wedding day. They'd already cut it down to just 10 people to abide by the rules and they're just still trying to hold on to it happening because they aren't getting refunds or anything for the money they've spent. We saw my wife's parents on Saturday and my wife is really bummed because until this is all done and she and I have tested negative she isn't going to see them. Shit just sucks all around

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4095 on: March 26, 2020, 08:54:24 AM »

Stargate SG1 in HD??

Not as far as I know

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #4096 on: March 26, 2020, 09:13:35 AM »

Weren't you saying a few weeks ago this wasn't a big deal because the flu kills more?

Feel free to go back and read my posts but pls just fuck off instead
dur

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #4097 on: March 26, 2020, 09:15:53 AM »

:anhuld
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #4099 on: March 26, 2020, 09:56:18 AM »
Starting a new job at a local grocery store.

I haven't seen my family in weeks. I work a very at risk for infection job and I'm switching from that to an even more at risk job. So now I might not be able to see them for months.

I'm worried about my dad getting it. He still works and he has to get up close and personal with patients because he's a physical therapist. He also happens to be a cancer survivor and has congested heart failure. Things aren't good but he's still working through all of it despite it. I wish he could just stay home but that's not going to pay the bills.
IYKYK

Ghoul

« Reply #4100 on: March 26, 2020, 10:12:09 AM »
See I always think fairly morbidly, I had lung issues at 18 and nearly died so my "I'm gonna live forever phase got cut very short"  I think people should worry more about keeping as in shape as possible at a time like this and make sure you're eating as healthy as possible with a view of you're gonna get it, so prepare to get it and hopefully you have prepared your body well enough to fight it.

Worrying just causes stress and then makes you run down and makes your immune system weaker, limit what you read, forget about what you cannot control and just be wise in decisions you can make. probably best advice, mother is a nurse and suffering greatly, but today she spoke with someone randomly and was given some flowers which I thought was nice. anyway let us try get through this as a forum and hope we keep the 20 members all healthy!

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #4101 on: March 26, 2020, 10:23:23 AM »
You do what you can, and to the best of your ability. Focusing on health is good, keep exercising and ofc try to keep a positive attitude. Not in a cheesey bless up way but try to remain confident in yourself despite w/e is going on around you. Have faith in yourself.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #4102 on: March 26, 2020, 10:29:54 AM »
Work vacation extended until April 12th. :rejoice

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4103 on: March 26, 2020, 10:31:54 AM »
I had to go to the grocery store - the first time in a week and a half.  Things sure have changed.  I also bought 16L of coke zero which filled my bags, so I dropped the loaves of bread I had on the ground now I'm kind of hesitant to eat them :(

thisismyusername

« Reply #4104 on: March 26, 2020, 10:36:31 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

:anhuld

Trumpy-kins, regale us with the tale of opening up the economy on Easter again.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4105 on: March 26, 2020, 10:39:49 AM »
My county [population: 47k] had its first case, so the governor is shutting down everything except essential businesses. The largest town in the county also had to shutdown one of its grocery stores to do a deep cleaning after two workers were told to self-quarantine [no word on whether they had symptoms or were in contact with the confirmed case, though].
dog

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #4106 on: March 26, 2020, 10:43:06 AM »
new mexico had our first death from it yesterday but it was a 70+ year old man with multiple chronic health issues so i don't know if i'd chalk it up just to cabrona

Potato

• Senior's Member
Spud

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4108 on: March 26, 2020, 11:10:28 AM »
Cost for breaking quarantine after traveling into Canada - up to 1 million dollars and/or a year in jail.  Hopefully, people get the message. 

nudemacusers

« Reply #4109 on: March 26, 2020, 11:13:07 AM »
I hate this forums redirects
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Ghoul

« Reply #4110 on: March 26, 2020, 11:29:51 AM »
I hate this forums redirects

Sir, this a pandemic thread.

nudemacusers

« Reply #4111 on: March 26, 2020, 11:41:27 AM »
Well on topic I’ve sat in my hotel room all day. Bahrain has a mandatory curfew at 6pm but I have an exemption from the ministry of interior or whatever. Can’t wait to try and fish that out of my pocket while the cops beat me with their clubs.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #4112 on: March 26, 2020, 11:43:35 AM »
trump admin is suing to get this taken off the air:
©ZH

Ghoul

« Reply #4113 on: March 26, 2020, 11:57:02 AM »
How's Esch today? Hope you're fighting through breh.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #4114 on: March 26, 2020, 12:09:30 PM »
Looks like you'll live at least long enough to finish Hobsbawm :rejoice
每天生气

Ghoul

« Reply #4115 on: March 26, 2020, 12:09:41 PM »

VomKriege was right, i think I passed over the worst of it Saturday->Sunday. Apparently some other people who got sick from the same possible infection source got way sicker than me, bedridden, their kids developing fevers and all that so I am lucky.  I got a ton of strength and energy back tuesday morning and have been able to work. My girlfriend got better today as well so it looks like we're on the up and up.

Based! Glad to hear it bud.

Himu

« Reply #4116 on: March 26, 2020, 12:10:31 PM »

VomKriege was right, i think I passed over the worst of it Saturday->Sunday. Apparently some other people who got sick from the same possible infection source got way sicker than me, bedridden, their kids developing fevers and all that so I am lucky.  I got a ton of strength and energy back tuesday morning and have been able to work. My girlfriend got better today as well so it looks like we're on the up and up.

Was it Coronavirus?
IYKYK

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #4117 on: March 26, 2020, 12:12:14 PM »

VomKriege was right, i think I passed over the worst of it Saturday->Sunday.

I can cure COVID19 online with a simple message ! I descend from a line of French Miracle-Makers that harnessed the spiritual power of Mother Earth ! Get well in 2 days ! Just wire me on PayPal 500€ ! Health and peace of mind has never been so cheap !
ὕβρις

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #4118 on: March 26, 2020, 12:14:18 PM »

Good to hear my dude.

:O

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4119 on: March 26, 2020, 12:23:39 PM »
Sorry for the stress Mupepe; but why in the world did you go see your in-laws less than a week ago?  And a wedding still happening?

A hospital worker seeing their parents in the middle of this is mind blowing to me, but I guess that’s indicative of how many local governments aren’t doing shit to educate people.
My wife was transitioning from IMCU to ICU, so she'd been in a classroom for 2 months prior and not in a hospital. It was her last chance to see them before she actually got into the new hospital.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #4120 on: March 26, 2020, 12:24:00 PM »
I'm wondering if Braccio (sp?) the shady healer-by-gaze from Croatia that maybe murdered his mentor -allegedly- claims he can cure it.
ὕβρις

Himu

« Reply #4121 on: March 26, 2020, 12:24:32 PM »
Was it Coronavirus?

Someone i had close contact with worked with someone who worked with a class of kids who all got confirmed infected. So most likely yes. You guys, this thing really does infect people insanely fast. The person working with the kids infected a workplace of 15-20 people by being in a meeting room with them for just 3 hours.

:dead

The only way to stop spread is to shut everyone the fuck inside till we get decent antivirals + vaccines.

Holy fuck. We really need to go full China and just stay inside at this point.
IYKYK

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #4122 on: March 26, 2020, 12:24:51 PM »
So weird to have your Toilet paper buying be a topic of normal conversation at work.
que

Ghoul

« Reply #4123 on: March 26, 2020, 12:33:20 PM »
So weird to have your Toilet paper buying be a topic of normal conversation at work.

The best thing is shaming hoarders

Ghoul

« Reply #4125 on: March 26, 2020, 12:37:48 PM »
owning the libs already eh?

Himu

« Reply #4126 on: March 26, 2020, 12:41:27 PM »
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1243142959643713537

:pimp

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1243145585693261825

:kermit

:beli

The media reported this shit in January. Stories of Wuhan lockdown were everywhere. My local news station reported Dr. Li's death on television. Never mind the sheer amount of photo essays about what life is like in a shut down. Shut the FUCK up, Glenn you simpering pissant.
IYKYK

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #4127 on: March 26, 2020, 12:46:02 PM »
Tucker Carlson is a conspiracy theorist :bolo

Himu

« Reply #4128 on: March 26, 2020, 12:49:14 PM »
Esch what were your symptoms?
IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #4129 on: March 26, 2020, 01:04:28 PM »
trump admin is suing to get this taken off the air:

What sort of weak ass attack ad is this

If this was the other way around the GOP would've mixed footage of Fidel, Stalin and Hillary coughing with dying babies and grannies as Obama says you could keep your doctor.
🤴

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4130 on: March 26, 2020, 01:05:41 PM »
Man that's scary for a fat fuck like me.   

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #4131 on: March 26, 2020, 01:14:06 PM »
My good friend and kind caring comrade shosta accused me of being neurotic around this time so I just assumed it could be a cold
I fucked up and let you down  :'(
每天生气

Himu

« Reply #4132 on: March 26, 2020, 01:16:27 PM »
Esch what were your symptoms?

Started out with 2-3 days of an occasional cough and a runny nose like a common cold. Then i developed noticeable pressure in my chest. My good friend and kind caring comrade shosta accused me of being neurotic around this time so I just assumed it could be a cold but since I wanted to be responsible I called my provider (they told me to fuck off unless i was dying, fair enough). That pressure in the lungs developed into a burning feeling after about a week and severe shortness of breath. I felt pneumonia like symptoms - an inability to fully inflate my lungs without coughing. Bodily fatigue, mental "cloudiness" and headaches came as well, as well as the inability to smell well. The occasional sneeze and a bad dry hacking cough came also. When it gets really bad you may find yourself gasping for breath while sitting or laying in the wrong position. FYI i'm not a marathon runner or in TEEEPO level cardio shape but all my cardio gains went to shit inside a week. I did not develop a fever.

Things that helped:
warm lemon tea with ginger
smoothies with lots of beet and kale
lots of sleep
nutting

Things that are bad:
greasy food - you will cough for hours after

Goddamn, home boy. There's talk this does permanent damage to your lungs as well. How are you doing now?
IYKYK

Ghoul

« Reply #4133 on: March 26, 2020, 01:19:30 PM »
My good friend and kind caring comrade shosta accused me of being neurotic around this time so I just assumed it could be a cold
I fucked up and let you down  :'(

All
Shondas
Are
Bad

Himu

« Reply #4134 on: March 26, 2020, 01:33:14 PM »
Who here vapes? Just listened to an NPR report on how vaping could greatly impact young people with coronavirus infection.
IYKYK

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4135 on: March 26, 2020, 01:35:22 PM »
I stopped vaping pot for the time being. 

thisismyusername

« Reply #4136 on: March 26, 2020, 01:43:29 PM »
Me. But weed.

Ghoul

« Reply #4137 on: March 26, 2020, 01:49:38 PM »
I vape, I'm sure it's not as bad as smoking and I'm bored and stressed so I'm gonna carry on vaping for now.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #4138 on: March 26, 2020, 01:51:35 PM »
I didn't bother filing last year  :neogaf

Ghoul

« Reply #4139 on: March 26, 2020, 01:54:36 PM »
WTF sky news talking about Syria corona cases with David Miliband? Fuck sakes. He's in New York too, he's fucked.